2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

AleSmith Speedway Stout - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway StoutAleSmith Speedway Stout

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith Speedway Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,990 | Reviews: 1,372 | Show All Ratings:
stoutfiend27

3.93/5  rDev -10.7%

bottle sent by the very generous genghis22 big thanks to james for making our house warming truly special

a-pitch black..no head..espresso colored collar..decent lacing..no highlights when held up to light...

s-alcohol hits first and foremost..then some coffee residuals and a roasty character...a hint of sweetness in the nose..

t-again alcohol does not hide itself...followed subtly by coffee and roasted grains...sweet but overbearing...almost a fruity character there maybe from the choice of hops??..finishes hot and semi bitter

m-oily and thick...almost chewy...clings the mouth well and stays sip after sip..

d-due to the booziness of this brew a 750 would be too much for one sitting glad i had a friend to share this with..but it was enjoyable

overall a very good stout...the alcohol distracted me a little but i wish i could get more to age and see what that does to it...thanks again go out to james who truly outdid himself in our last trade..

11-09-2009 01:19:33 | More by stoutfiend27
sweemzander

3.93/5  rDev -10.7%

750mL bottle poured into a nonic. No bottled date. Huge thanks to BeerFMAndy for splitting his bottle with me!

(A)- Pours a thick & dark black as night color that produced a beautiful cascading foamy brown head with great retention behind it. Left plenty of lacing behind.

(S)- A delicate roastedness with coffee bean, molasses, vanilla, & brown sugar. Has a brief whiff of a biscuit-like oatmeal.

(T)- A soft, yet bitter roastedness with coffee & molasses with a touch of raisins. Has a rather ample hop addition; creates extra bitterness & a grassy-background.

(M)- A great carbonation level. Good roastedness & feel to it, but the ample hop addition kinda starts killing off some of the great flavors & creates a mild grassy note that caught me off guard.

(D)- A good stout, though still too fresh based upon how high the hop level is in this. I think it would get much better with another 6 months to a year of age. I like alot of hops, but not in my stouts. Solid stuff though.

04-06-2010 21:30:43 | More by sweemzander
PittBeerGirl

3.93/5  rDev -10.7%

Thanks Kevin for sharing this! Had it before but have not reviewed it yet.

A- Huge dark tan foamy head that is 2-3 . This fades eventually to 1/2 finger and has good retention from there. Body is big, viscous, opaque, and black.

S-This brew smells really hot w/ alcohol. A big roasted malt/coffee presence is also noticeable and dominant. Behind all this are characteristics typical for an IRS such as dark fruit, licorice, dark chocolate, plum, and anise. Nose is pretty complex.

T- Flavor is HUGE and filled with roasted malt, and coffee flavors upfront, and, as with the nose, a lot of IRS characteristics going on like dark fruit, anise, and dark chocolate. The ABV is pretty hot and does not really even attempt to hide itself. It offers a slight bitterness and a big alcohol heat at the end.

M-Medium carbonation, thick viscous body, slightly smooth and creamy but has an alcohol astringency component as well.

D-This is a big,really intense, high octane stout that is full of flavor, complexity, and a lot of booze. Overall-a really good, well put together brew by one of my favorite breweries-Alesmith.

04-29-2010 15:19:28 | More by PittBeerGirl
Pabs311

Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev -10.7%

A- beer pors a deep dark black color with a nice tan head.

S- aroma is mostly of chcolaty roasted malts. there's also some coffee notes coming through but muted at best.

T- very similar to the nose, mostly choclaty roasted malts, with a hint off coffee to it. the lack of coffee surprised me considering that coffee beans are added to this beer.

M/D- full bodied, thick with low carbonation. good mouthfeel and the drinkability on this is very easy. no alcohol detected at any point. good beer but dissapointed with the lack of coffee characteristics though.

08-28-2010 18:24:13 | More by Pabs311
petacutlasaurus

Maryland

3.93/5  rDev -10.7%

Nice stout, got it at a brutal markup, though, coming in at $19.99. I was very curious about this flagship beer from AleSmith, though, so I went ahead with it. I think to do it/my wallet justice I should have been a little more patient before drinking.

A really nice coffee stout that lost points for a somewhat hollow body. I wanted a little bit more gravity here, but really enjoyed the notes that were represented. I also think that even though the body is light for my tastes, it complements the coffee notes really well. This would be a fantastic beer at $12/bottle.

05-19-2011 00:05:57 | More by petacutlasaurus
wifehatesthebike

3.93/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance is quite dark with a light brown fairly frothy head.

Smells include soy sauce, bakers chocolate and roasted notes.

Initial taste is carbonated and sharp, quickly followed by alcohol in the middle, then to chocolate and roast. Finish is long with alcohol, coffee, chocolate and then hops again at the end. Many flavors coming and going. Not quite as much coffee as I was hoping.

Mouthfeel is thin and first sip, but then smooths out on the palate.

This is a big stout with a lot going on at once. I think the hops maybe be a bit strong still, this bottle was likely bottled less than a year ago. Will give my other bottle another year to see if the hops fade further.

02-18-2012 02:02:52 | More by wifehatesthebike
TrickKnee

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%

Wow, what a stout. The ratings and reviews speak for this beer alone and let me tell you the taste goes right along with it. Not being a huge stout fan i was delighted to see an amazing taste. Poured a deep dark color, (duh, its a stout) with a small amount of head. Rich chocolate , coffee and roasted flavors that linger in your mouth. Cant wait to try it again.

09-27-2006 01:48:02 | More by TrickKnee
greenbeaner

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%

Well, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with this one.. It's definitely a good, better than average beer, but nothing really stood out one way or the other...so here it goes...Appearence is a thick almost black with a huuuuge head...three fingers tan and creamy. Smell is fairly thin for as thick as the beer appears coffee, vanilla, molasses. Tastes of roasted malt with coffee notes and a hoppy finish. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, which sets the beer apart a bit..otherwise this beer, while being a high quality stout just doesn't seem to have any one quality that stands out more than any other.

03-27-2007 02:30:13 | More by greenbeaner
LilBeerDoctor

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%

Reviewed on 9/2/08. Bottle thanks to iowaherkeye (thanks Joey!). Pours black with a thick dark tan head. Aroma is quite awesome--coffee, chalky bitter chocolate, nice roasted malt. Flavor is a little boozy, some sweet roasted malt, coffee but not too much (compared to other coffee impys), biting carbonation. Very thick, yet smooth. Quite enjoyable, although not the best of its style, in my opinion.
9/4/8/4/16 (4.1/5)

12-23-2008 22:08:30 | More by LilBeerDoctor
LilMatrix

Washington

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%

A - Pours out black and viscous as hell, motor oil. Beautiful finger of dark tan head.

S - Dark roasted coffee, bitter chocolate, slight alcohol.

T - A wonderful example of an imperial stout. Not as much of a coffee profile as expected, pleasant dark roasted malt sweetness. Finishes very clean and very warming.

M - Creamy, thick and chewy, very heavy bodied.

D - A slightly boozy imperial stout however pretty drinkable for such a high ABV. Definitely a sipper that gets exponentially better as it warms. A very solid beer for the style.

01-26-2009 17:15:07 | More by LilMatrix
hopsbreath

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%

Saw this at a Whole Foods in Portland and had to pick it up. Poured out of a 750 mL bottle into two over sized red wine glasses, I shared this with my wife. I gave the appearance a 5 because I cannot imagine an impy stout looking any better. There was half a glass full of thick cappuccino colored fluffy head that barely receded. The liquid itself was the typical double stout impervious black. Smell was fairly unassuming and muted. There was some dark chocolate and coffee in the nose but nothing really spectacular. Taste was good. Lots of cold coffee with dark chocolate it was a treat, and better than the smell suggested. Mouthfeel was very nice. Very creamy with minimal carbonation, maybe a little chalky. After half a 750 I had enough. I started to tasted the alcohol a little more at the end.

Overall this was a fine example of an impy stout and I would not think of aging it due to the muted smell and good creamy mouth. Try it young and it will not disappoint.

03-10-2010 01:03:44 | More by hopsbreath
Brent

Kentucky

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%

Lots of coffee and unsweetened chocolate in the malt, with a rather unusual lactic tartness lurking in the background, somehow related to the lactose sugar notes in the beer. Mouthfeel seemed a little thin for the style, with a little wateryness. The substantial alcohol content was well integrated into the flavor. Where sometimes the inclinatin is to rate a well-regarded beer high, here I found my self a bit letdown. A very nice beer, no question, but not outstanding in the class.

09-29-2010 13:44:10 | More by Brent
Jesse13713

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance - A very dark stout. Pitch black liquid with a frothy brown head. Not a large head on this at all; less than half an inch. Looks very chocolaty.

Smell - Strong oats presence and extremely noticeable alcohol in the scent. Slight chocolate in the nose. The coffee is present but not overpowering.

Taste - Definitely a slight bourbon burn. The bourbon is accompanied with chocolate and coffee heavily. As with the smell, oats are a huge part of the taste as well.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - An exceptionally smooth snout. Silk-like and enjoyable to sip. The vanilla-bourbon makes itself present without being overpowering. Well balanced and quite simple. The 12% is hidden quite well.

03-18-2011 03:18:59 | More by Jesse13713
hosehead83

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a big "bomber" bottle into a wine goblet. Relatively fresh bottle.
Very dark, motor oil/pitch black in color, with a very short head of foam.
Aroma-Strong coffee, dark roasted malt.
Taste-Dark baker's chocolate,dark roasted almost burnt malt, cold shot of espresso, charred dark fruit. Very dry, astringent finish.
Overall, I love coffee, but to me this was like putting a spoonfull of coffee grounds on your tongue and washing it down with an imperial coffee stout. Definitely could use some cellar time with this brew to mellow it out. Will have to age a bottle and try at a later date.

03-21-2011 15:43:46 | More by hosehead83
nasty31

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%

A- Pours a deep black with a small hazlenut brown head.

S- The smell of coffee is a for sure with a bit of chocolate also snuck in there.

T- Very well balance of coffee and chocolate. Wish more coffee would have been present but i think the bottle we shared was a little older and the coffee had wore off a tad.

M- Thick and creamy like a good stout should be.

Overall this was an excellent stout i would do again. Would love to do a vertical of this seeing how the coffee diminishes over time and more of the other flavors come through.

05-04-2011 16:49:25 | More by nasty31
Merkur

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%

Had on tap in a regular pint glass at Downtown Johnny Brown's in San Diego.

Beer pours very dark with about a half finger of dark brown head.

Beer smells very roasty but not strongly of anything else.

The beer tastes roasty and malty with slight hints of dark chocolate, followed by a very boozy finish with some slight espresso taste. A bit too boozy for me.

Mouthfeel was fairly thick.

Overall a good stout.

01-21-2012 15:39:41 | More by Merkur
bcostner1

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Pitch black, viscous, opaque. Aggressive thick khaki head that sticks around for a while. Pours like oil...which is exactly how I like my stouts.

S: Honestly, it's kind of underwhelming to me. I'm not getting the coffee bomb aroma that I was expecting. It's very muted as far as I'm concerned. That said, I'm getting a little coffee, a little chocolate and that's really about it.

T: Not bad...but I've had better. There is some coffee there but I was expecting a lot more. (I know that there are a lot who would disagree with me but I'm just not getting what I wanted personally). Rich chocolate is present throughout. Dark raisins and figs. Molasses. A little brown sugar. This is a little sweeter than I thought it would be. I really thought there would be more coffee. It's pretty good...just not exactly what I was expecting.

M: A little on the syrupy side. Pretty viscous. Thick, chewy. Nice creamy element comes out as it warms. ABV is well hidden IMO.

I was really excited to try this one and I had heard a lot of hype about how great it was. As a RIS, it's very very good. But as a COFFEE stout, to be honest, I am underwhelmed. I expected much, much more of a coffee presence here and I didn't get it. I wish I knew how old this bottle was but i don't see a date on it. I bought it in June and consumed it in September. Maybe the coffee has faded(?) I would love to try it on tap one day to see. I LOVE coffee stouts but, for my money, Terrapin WNB and Epic Big Bad Baptist still reign supreme for me in that department.

09-29-2012 23:42:09 | More by bcostner1
NODAK

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Aroma here is very very strong. At first, lots of bittersweet chocolate and roasted notes just jumped out. As it opened, a layer underneath of sweetness and dark fruit became noticeable. A note of licorice as well. Booze.

Initially, this one smacks the mouth with big bitter chocolate and coffee. There's no mistaking that. However, then you get the big sweetness coming through which is characterized by mostly chocolate notes interspersed with licorice. The dark fruits that some others have noted just doesn't seem to come out for me. For an ABV of 12 percent, I'm impressed there's really no burn here. Goes down pretty well.

This is an aggressive chocolate/coffee stout here. Thick, rich, and will kick your ass in a hurry.

05-31-2013 00:30:36 | More by NODAK
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev -11.8%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a thin dark foamy head. Aroma of roasted malt with some coffee notes though not as dominating as I was expecting from reading all those ratings. Taste is dominated by roasted malt, caramel and coffee with a real creamy texture that I enjoyed. Bitter ending but not as hops explosive as I was expecting from other reviews. Overall, this is a good imperial stout but to me it doesn’t match Bells Expedition or even Storm King; but then again, I’m not the most avid stout drinker out there.

07-05-2005 19:17:22 | More by Phyl21ca
tjthresh

Indiana

3.88/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into a snifter. Aromas of fudge brownies, caramel macciato, and Nilla Wafers. Opaque black with a multi toned browna and orange head. Tightly bubbled. Tastes as if Hershey just released a new chocolate bar that has been infused with some strong ass coffee. Roast, smoke, char, and tobacco undertones. Medium body. Oily slick, and prickly. Of all the coffee stout’s I’ve rated over the last few weeks, this is the best. Still not a fan of the coffee.

12-02-2006 15:42:28 | More by tjthresh
swizzlenuts

Wisconsin

3.88/5  rDev -11.8%

A:Black with a tan head about cm in height. Good retention.

S: Fruity molassesy smell that is quite fruity. Not exactly what I'd expect for a Imperial Stout

T: Dark chocolates, roasted malts, and a coffee bitterness at the end. Fusel alcohol at th eend, which is expected. God but not bang in the flavours.

M: Thick as fuck! Almost perfect.

D: Decently drinkable.

01-02-2009 00:51:02 | More by swizzlenuts
oggg

Gift from a friend, sourced from Wallys. 750ml

I removed the capsule and popped the cap. I got an old man's sigh, suggesting low carbonation. I poured aggressively and got just a token show of bubbles. I saved half in the fridge with a vacu-vin cork and mini-vacuum, but the next day the bubbles were almost entirely gone.

This stout is really really black and opaque. Intimidating. Maybe a ring of dark brown when you shine a light on it. Again, little to no head.

The nose is basically a raspberry dark chocolate truffle.
On the tongue, this is a heavy syrup-like concoction that starts off oily, hits you with a heavy (not bright) raspberry liqueur flavor. I struggle to get past it, and there's some thick dark chocolate. Really heavy. Like drinking bittersweet chocolate. Coffee is there but it's in the shadow of the chocolate. I kinda wish this was more burnt. Alcohol is there, though I didn't think it was 12%! The finish is surprisingly not that cloying.

Overall: I don't really like fruit liqueur infused chocolate because of the fruit part, but if you like that sort of thing, this is right up your alley.

01-23-2010 16:44:26 | More by oggg
vkv822

750ml : tulip snifter
from notes

Black body, creamy, dense brown head.

Earthy coffee, lightly roast malt.

More roasty malt blends into earthy coffee. Light cocoa notes.

Medium body. Fair amount of viscosity. Low-medium carbonation.

Big flavors as expected for the style. Coffee blends well with roasty malt and compliments cocoa notes.

06-04-2012 05:48:26 | More by vkv822
NEhophead

3.88/5  rDev -11.8%

25.4 fl oz brown bottle served in a chalice.

Pours a syrupy maple-onyx in color beneath a somewhat short-lived, dark coffee colored head. A bit of thin and dimpled lacing, but nothing too impressive.

Dark chocolate, light mocha, and fresh roasted coffee aromas. Notes of slick bourbon that cut the rich roasted qualities; sharp acidic alcohol.

Chewy, roasted dark chocolate that is made even rougher/bitter by the aggressive, freshly brewed espresso flavor. The alcohol character isn't over-the-top, but its whiskey-like quality is noticeable throughout within each flavor aspect. Slightly acidic leading up to a rustic, floral bitterness. Notes of whiskey, aged vinous fruit, and espresso fill the aftertaste.

Full bodied is almost an understatement. Smooth at times, but mostly slick on account of the ever-present alcohol character.

A pretty complex Imperial Stout; however, the whiskey component detracts from what I assume was the brewer's original intent, to highlight the coffee component. Ballsy flavors, but this could definitely benefit from a few years of rest.

10-07-2012 01:30:10 | More by NEhophead
writerLJBerg

3.86/5  rDev -12.3%

750mL bottle from Beermongers. Split.

A: Rich, oily black with a bubbling of mocha head. Glass receives a slight discoloration upon the swirling.

N: Smooth dark chocolate, espresso and roast, some vanilla, an oak toastiness though it’s not barrel aged. Some coffee berry. Malted milk. Really, really nice.

T: Very roasty with plenty of coffee bitterness. Almost pure, unsugared cocoa. Has an alcoholic sharpness that can probably age out, but it’s distracting to me. There’s also a hoppy bite to it.

M: Solid if a bit watery at times.

O: I always want to like this a lot more than I do. Needs some more sweetness which is why I tend to like the BA version a lot more. Worthy beer and one I should age to taste the changes.

04-01-2013 17:51:20 | More by writerLJBerg