2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

AleSmith Speedway Stout - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Speedway StoutAleSmith Speedway Stout

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith Speedway Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,995 | Reviews: 1,372 | Show All Ratings:
Brewfan

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

Ok, sitting here on Christmas eve with a long night of cooking ahead of me. And I decided that it's been too long since I've had a Speedway, and for some reason or other, never reviewed it. So here we go...

'06 Vintage. Poured into my large DFH snifter.
It's hard to imagine a beer getting much darker. Baking chocolate dark, with a pinch of coal thrown in for good measure. Impenetrable to light. 1 1/2 finger head of fluffy, chocolate colored head with minimal retention. Lot's of full, multi-sized bubbles, eroding to a thin ring that stayed throughout the beer. Very little lacing to speak of.
Immediate coffee on the nose. Strong, like a triple espresso, hold the cream. Powerful roasted malt, pruny, with almost an oily aroma. Also getting a strong whiff of chocolate. This is like one big 12% mocha.
This one, even so big, tends to be gulped rather than sipped. Maybe it's the long day, maybe it's the creamy, luscious mouthfeel, or maybe it's the HUGE coffee and dark chocolate whollup that explodes in my mouth with every sip. Bitter and sweet in every mouthful. The two tastes play back and forth with each other. It's coffee, no it's chocolate. It's playfully sweet, no it's a man's drink. Either way, it's a big beer with a big bite. Getting some slight fruitness in the backbone. A dry, hoppy bitterness (or is it the bitter coffee) rounds out the glassful. But don't worry, there's still over 1/2 a bottle to go.
Medium carbonation with a very big body. Thick and viscious. This may be where Old(er) Viscosity got it's inspiration.
This is one of my favorite beers of all times. It doesn't get much better than this.
Merry Christmas everyone.

12-25-2007 02:30:12 | More by Brewfan
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

Big shoutout to Overlord for the chance to try this brew via our trade.

Absolute midnight black... Thick, thick, thick with a small tan head...

Aroma of dark bitter chocolate and strong coffee with the faintest aromas of some sweet fruit in the background..

Man, this is heavenly... Loads of chocolate and coffee mixed with a strong booziness that I am in love with.. A bit too strong for the wifey which means more for me... I'm loving it...

Top 5 all time stouts here... Absolutely delicious brew...

Thanks, Overlord!!!

03-15-2008 23:18:33 | More by Tilley4
chrisafari

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

On tap at Stone Brewing World Bistro And Gardens. Pours dark black w/ a brown creamy small head. Aroma of coffee and chocolate w/ a hint of alcohol. Flavor begins intense and alcoholy on the tip of the tongue, but ends smooth and chocolaty sweet. The intense malts create a complex flavor, that is spicy, chocolate, coffee and alcohol. The alcohol is enjoyable and tastes almost like a red wine. Palate is nice and smooth, really great. Easily my favorite beer, ever! (so far)

09-10-2008 23:58:42 | More by chrisafari
bobjonesSD

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

Ah, old friend. Time to give it a review. Poured from a fresh growler into a Maredsous chalice (slightly random, but a nice glass nonetheless). The pour even from the growler produces a delightful 2cm head on the 30cl of thick black liquid. The head is a lovely espresso cream color that lines the glass as consumed. Aroma begins with pure coffee, but as it warms it moves more towards burnt coffee (in a good way) with roasted malts coming through and I still detect very little in the way of alcohol. The taste leads with sweet black coffee with a malt undertone but not too bitter nor too sweet, perfectly balanced. The finish leaves a nice slightly bitter coffee taste on the palate. This might be the most dangerously easy to drink 12% abv stout I've ever enjoyed.

Serving type: growler

08-28-2009 00:55:35 | More by bobjonesSD
jhoban19

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

750ml poured into a chalice, 10oz at a time. Nibbling on some gouda and a dark chocolate hazelnut toffee candy bar.

A: thick and dark, like an Oreo cookie milkshake made with chocolate ice cream and chocolate milk, with a thick brown rocky foam, a solid 2 fingers. The foam settles into a good ring with full surface coverage. Strong lacing forms with each sip that slides back into the foam, but yet enough clings to the glass.

S: as it pours I get a waft of bourbony alcohol, but only for a fleeting moment. As I dive into the chalice for a big whiff, I detect sweet milk chocolate combined with bitter coffee, well balanced on the nose. Also catching subtle notes of vanilla and something else I can't quite put my finger on, maybe maple syrup, but not quite. Now that I've poured glass #2, I believe what I'm sensing is the rich caramel malt with a hint of butterscotch.

T: Many of the stouts I've enjoyed recently have been heavy on the bitter coffee flavor with accents of chocolate. Not Speedway, this baby has dominant chocolate flavors with well-balanced hints of strong dark coffee, caramel and hazelnut. As it warms, the sweet chocolate gives way to a bitter flavor, with that sweet chocolate taste still present. Part of that bitterness seems akin to an Imperial IPA the way it coats the tongue, suggesting a hops presence I normally don't detect in these big stouts. The alcohol is well masked for such a big brew, but by glass #3 I'm definitely feeling it even if I can't really taste it.

M: full bodied and rich, smooth and creamy, as I would expect given the appearance and style. A perfect amount of carbonation dances on the tongue as the flavors of chocolate, coffee, and caramel fill the mouth. Bit of a dry kick on the back end along with a pleasantly bitter aftertaste.

D: Speedway Stout is an unbelievably drinkable brew- dangerously so at 12% ABV! I am enjoying the hell out of this beer. I think this is the longest review I've written, which I attribute to the wonderful complexity of this brew. Heaven in a bottle, a best-in-show caliber beer. I bought 2 bottles with the intention of drinking 1 and putting the other in the cellar for at least a year. After drinking this one, the challenge will be to wait 12 months to drink the other.

11-11-2009 04:01:35 | More by jhoban19
DovaliHops

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

Picked this one up a few months ago. Poured a gorgeous engine oil black with a thick 2 inch, frothy, espresso colored head. Strong coffee smell with very sweet chocolate notes and roasted nuts. WOW! This tastes sooo good! Very well balanced...the coffee, chocolate and booze align almost perfectly. Can't imagine what the other two I have will taste like after years of cellaring. With initial sip, the booze is not present, but the warming sensation follows soon after. Nice dark chocolate aftertaste left on the palate. This is a wonderful imperial stout that is meant to be savored...not chugged.

05-26-2010 05:00:27 | More by DovaliHops
russellaaron69

West Virginia

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a nice pitch black w/ two fingers of light brown head. Minimal carbonation. Very good lacing. Every sip left behind some clinging to the glass. Smell is that of roasted malt and coffee. Taste was exceptional. Coffee and malt shine through up front with a vary nice chocolate sweetness bring up the rear. This beer feel very full in the mouth...so full i found myself actually chewing after a couple larger sips. Drinkability is superb also. Hides its alcohol very well. Thank you AleSmith for such a wonderful beer. Cheers.

06-20-2010 04:37:45 | More by russellaaron69
SteveTheDog

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am admittedly more a fan of dark beers and had the fortune to be introduced to this one by a friend who cellars stouts (it was also upsold to me as being amazing before I ever tasted it so that's my only bias).

While pouring it, I felt like I was in that syrup-chugging scene from Super Troopers - I don't really know how to explain it more. It was so dark it was like looking into Ray Liotta's soul. The aroma oozed out of the snifter - chocolate, dark roast coffee, caramel, maybe a little vanilla. In contrast to my opening remark, the mouthfeel was not that of syrup or caramel but I'd more liken it to a dark chocolate covered espresso bean. This is just a fantastic beer. I saved this one for a night when I could just chill out and enjoy a sunset and a beer.

06-16-2013 04:01:37 | More by SteveTheDog
mickeymac

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

It's jet-black with a surprisingly thick tan head compared to most Imperials. Thanks to the general dose of coffee beans, the smell is espresso but also has noticeable chocoloate and roasted malt. The taste is a journey through everything that is good about Imperials: the aformentioned coffee, chocolate, and roasted flavors all mix around nicely with just enough hops to give it some bite and a pronounced but welcome presence of alcohol at 12%. The mouthfeel is nice and chunky; perhaps thee Speedway designation comes from the similarity of the color and viscosity to some well used motor oil. It's simply amazing that two breweries (Stone and Alesmith) that are so close in location can be turning out two of the best Imperials in the world. At ~$15.00 for a 750 ml, it's not cheap but the experience is easily worth the outlay.

11-09-2002 18:24:58 | More by mickeymac
OldFrothingSlosh

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

I received this bottle as part of a trade with HopJack13 and have been sitting on it (well...not literally) for about a year. Our annual gathering for a Cleveland Indians seemed like the perfect time to share this rare gem of a beer.

Appearance: Poured a pitch-black, can't-see your-hands-in-front-of-your-face, where's-the-damn-flashlight-blackness that allows no light to pass through it. "Used motor oil" would be an accurate description. "Cool Whip"-thick tan-colored head persists for eons and creates and wonderful lace portrait on the glass.

Smell: This beer is brewed with Ryan Brothers coffee beans (note to self: must try Ryan Brothers coffee if ever possible). This beer teems with "stouty" aromas: chocolate, roasted malts, freshly-ground coffee. Caramel squares wrapped around dark fruit. I see Bill Cosby pitching an ad for Jello chocolate pudding...

Taste: Gang....this is amazing. Smoked chocolate, freshly-brewed coffee, roasted malts, and a bit of alcohol. Up-front sweetness, followed by a chocolate-slathered hops middle, and finishes with a alcohol-laced Hershey bar. Alcohol is there, but not over-powering. Finished with a toffee-roasted bitterness. Absolutely fantastic.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: I'd be curious to see how this tasted "raw" instead of aged one year. It is stellar at this time. Huge body. Wrapped my palate in velvet and sang Barry White songs to me all night. The 12% ABV feels more like 8% and makes it so much easier to keep on drinking. Smooth like a baby's bottom and laughably drinkable.

Notes: If you want a great beer, seek this one out. It will be worth any trouble...

04-21-2004 02:34:19 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
HardTarget

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Bottle Inspection: Green champagne bottle with the label silk screened on and foil topped. Only after we were done did we note the 12% abv. I never would have believed it.

Aroma: Stunning. Rich chocolates, hot chocolate, sweet milk chocolate, dark bitter chocolate. I wish to bathe in this. A fair alcohol waft comes along late in the bottle.

Appearance: Dark tan head of multi-sized bubbles faded to a trace cover and firm collar. Pitch black glass. Very odd head, the collar lasted throughout each pour leaving chunky lace, and even seemed to grow as the beer was agitated with each drink.

Flavor: All the smells with a sharp brace of hops. Alcohol comes out a bit heavy but not bad and not at a 12% level. Bitter coffee is deep in the finish, otherwise it’s just the best rich chocolate stout my lips have ever touched.

Mouthfeel: Velvety, great low level carbonation and thick texture allow you to savor each sip. Finishes dry.

Overall Impression: Just wonderful. Rich, smooth, complex; Winston Marsalis in a bottle. Chocolate hops. Alcohol is there but masterfully hidden. The coffee adds a great layer to a fantastic beer. Crack like addictive, I need to figure out how to get a case.
Weedchugger, I don’t know whether to thank or curse you. Like a taste of heaven only to be cast back to earth.

06-26-2005 22:18:04 | More by HardTarget
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Obsidian. Other than a mere sliver of pecan shell brown along the bottom edge of the glass, this beer is a complete black hole. The coffee-with-cream colored head looks nearly as thick and as meaty as the liquid on which it sits. Its moonscape surface contains multiple bubbles of various sizes that create pits and craters as they burst. Lace is in relatively short supply, but then I wasn't expecting much given the ABV.

The aroma was amazing as I poured and is no less amazing now that I'm concentrating on it for real. The three major components are ridicously roasted black malt, bittersweet chocolate and espresso. I can pick up the slightest hint of alcohol, though it's more than welcome in a beer as big as this one is.

AleSmith Speedway Stout is better than expected... and I expected no less than greatness. This is one of the hugest, most full-flavored, most mouthfilling ales of any style that I've ever had the pleasure to drink. Words fail me when attempting to describe the sheer massiveness of the malt backbone. Each sip explodes with the force of a daisy cutter, sending great gouts of melted, coffee bean-flecked chocolate fudge up, down and sideways until my mouth seems unable to contain it all.

SS tastes blacker, meaner, more menacing than most other American double stouts that I've run across. It's more along the lines of an RIS in that regard. It's as sweet and as chocolatey as any other ADS, but it's also impressively bitter and has a huge blackstrap molasses vibe goin' on. In fact, the flavor profile contains the entire gamut of stout flavors and still manages to combine them into a beautiful, seamless whole.

I don't like coffee and I'm not usually a fan of coffee-dominant beer. I had a few qualms about this one when I read the back label and found out that 'pounds and pounds of coffee beans' were added during the brewing. Surprisingly, the flavor isn't overwhelmingly java-like. The finish is freakishly long and leaves the mouth and tongue coated with a 'bitter hop cones (mixed with fire-roasted black malt)' layer of scum that one doesn't usually find outside the biggest IPAs/DIPAs.

That brings us to mouthfeel. Simply put, this beer has one of the three biggest mouthfeels in all of beerdom. It's easily the equal of Dark Lord (I'm leaving the third spot open because nothing else comes readily to mind). If you've ever drunk eggnog or heavy cream, you'll have some idea of what it feels like. It's velvety smooth and impossibly creamy. In other words, it's mouth candy for those of us whose attach more importance to mouthfeel than to anything other than flavor.

I've just realized that I haven't even commented on the ABV or the noticeable alchohol yet. That's because this is one of the most well-masked high alcohol beers in existence. Whether that has more to do with its age (an estimated 1 year) or to its brewer's skill, I couldn't say. As noted in the nose, the alcohol is an integral part of the whole and is a more than welcome contributor. Completely burying the beast just wouldn't be right; a little controlled snarl is just what this beer needs.

AleSmith Speedway Stout deserves every accolade ever thrown its way. I'd love to scratch off the 2nd place ribbon shown on the rear label since this behemoth takes a back seat to no stout. No how, no way. This is a truly special beer brewed by a truly special brewery and is not to be missed.

03-24-2006 22:56:30 | More by BuckeyeNation
expatsteve

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Another amazing contribution to a Madison style session from dirtylou. Many thanks.

Appearance: Black with a nice 1/2 inch head that lingers, leaving nice light lacing on the glass. Medium viscosity.

Aroma: Chocolate malts, roasted espresso and a little cream in the finish. Cocoa nibs and some faint raisins in the development.

Taste: This is one phenomenal beer - dark roasted coffee notes that most closely resemble the experience of eating coffee beans fresh from the roaster. Flashes of bitterness overlay chocolate, toffee and a little fruit and brown sugar in the finish. A truly amazing use of coffee - provides smokiness and a little spice. Only a little coffee acidity, which is balanced by thick but not oppressive sweetness. The alcohol is wonderfully masked - not at all noticable in the finish.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth as all the bitterness is contained in the coffee. Smooth, velvety with low carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a real pleasure to drink (thanks again, Lou). Not only a great rendition of the style, but also the best rendering of a coffee finish I've ever tasted.

07-26-2006 23:12:38 | More by expatsteve
Westsidethreat

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Sludge, pure and simple. Pours thick like oil, inky black. The head is fine mesh of toffee colored bubbles a finger thick.

S: Fresh ground coffee, triple chocolate ice cream, anise, molasses and some vanilla bean.

T: Begins like fine melted Belgian chocolate. The head makes the consistency feel like its mixed with real cream. From their a friggin superb balanced roasted coffee and malt profile gently come into play...and I mean gently. This are not harsh tastes. These are not aggresive flavors. These fit perfectly in the moment. The coffee notes curve in the mouth to more bitter chocolate then hints of mascarpone. The alcohol is there but not foreboding...as it warms it makes its way to the sinuses reminding the drinker that this beer is 12%.

M: Thick, chewy, full bodied and creamy. Almost like this beer is made out of half and half.

D: Now that's a beer. Once your mouth gets acclimated...this beer becomes a legendary experience. There is no better stout on the market.

07-30-2006 23:40:58 | More by Westsidethreat
PhiloPsych

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

This beer makes remember why I like stouts. Rather than inadequately analyzing it, I'll just say this beer has great character. Everything about it is good. The aroma may be the best aspect of it! It smells wonderful. Contrary to what several other raters here have experienced, my bottle poured a thick, rich head.

The high alcohol doesn't come out in the taste, so it sneaks up on you. Plan to share a bottle, not to drink it all on your own. I am not sure how I should characterize the drinkability. On the one hand it is perfectly smooth and balanced. On the other hand, it doesn't take much at all to start you buzzing, so it is definitely to be appreciated in moderation. This is a problem, though, because it tastes so damn good and goes down so smooth it is hard to stop drinking it!

12-10-2006 02:39:41 | More by PhiloPsych
orfeu

New Mexico

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Profuse thanks to dmeadows for sending me this wonderful surprise in our last trade -- maximum respect, Denis! Poured at a chilly cellar temperature (it's fuckin' cold out tonight, man!) into an AleSmith 10th Anniversary commemorative tulip. Dense, ponderous ebony with a small but dense, oily, whipped mocha head. Intense chocolate aromas; coffee scents swirl in and out among mellow toffee wisps and cacao liqueur-doused cherry notes. Outstanding nose, tempting and provoctative. Massive alcohol-infused chocolate bitterness smacks the palate up front with burnt malt and coffee flavors fighting for distinction shortly thereafter. A blackened dark fruit puree, remeniscent of charred currants and plums, emerges somewhere in the middle, right before a nearly acrid coffee flavor washes over and finishes, all with a truly tongue-numbing buzz that lasts for several long minutes. Sweet cherry-chocolate memories in the aftertaste with a demure yet bright espresso kick. Oil-like viscousness on the palate; thicker than all but one other beer I've sampled (Goose Island Bourbon County Stout). Alcohol is certainly present with a noticeable slickness and pepperiness in the mouthfeel, but it is never intrusive, only ever adding to the complexity of this fascinating stout. Coffee flavors become more prominent as the beer warms, lending a fuller, more well-rounded experience. Really wonderful, persistent head retention, with frothy sheets of lacing. This is a perfect beer to share or to sip slowly over the course of two or three hours. I will without fail continue to seek this out again and again, hopefully bringing back several bottles from my upcoming trip to Arizona in March. Thank you, AleSmith for this phenomenal experience.

02-03-2007 04:17:55 | More by orfeu
Phatz

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

This beer is everything divine about Stouts. WOW! All I can say is Oh my God. WOW!

Appearance: Pours absolute black. The tan head settles to a halo and it leaves some fine lacing for a 12.00 % beer.

Smell: The aroma is the perfect drum-roll to an absolutely grand flavor. The anticipation it induces is terrific. Smells of dark rum, leather, roasted malts, dark vinous cherry, chocolate and coffee... amazing.

Taste: I believe this is not beer. God melted perfect chocolate into port made by his own hand and infused it with coffee leaving the most rich and sensuous flavors imaginable.

Mouthfeel: It is like drinking liquid silk. Melted chocolate with just the right addition of butter to make a thick rich warm chewy feel across the palate.

Drinkability: This is a sipping beer. Still it is one I could live with if Speedway Stout and I were all that was left on earth.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

02-14-2007 06:56:42 | More by Phatz
sfoley333

Brazil

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured at Pizza Port ontap into a pint glass (12-03-07). Poured a midnight jet black with a nice thick tan head. Smell is of fresh roasted coffee and roasted malt. Taste is rich coffee, chocolate, and a slight carmel malt hidden in there. The alcohol is well hidden but at 12% you still get that warmth. The mouth feel is full body but still retains a creamy feel with a help of moderate carbonation level. For the alcohol this is a very drinkable beer. I have had this beer both in bottle and tap for the last five years and have to say it is one of my favorite beers in the world and I am so happy to live so close to the source.

12-05-2007 01:38:28 | More by sfoley333
Oxymoron

Colorado

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

I have had this beer a couple of times, not sure why it took me so long to rate it. The pour is a rich midnight color that has a very nice viscous quality to it. Nice to see the glass change colors as you drink it. The head is a darker tan color that remains around the edges of the glass but limited lace. More viscous then lace.

The nose is malty but limited for being as big as it is. Mostly darker malt notes such as chocolate, roast and a touches of coffee. Some lactic quality that blends nicely with the alcohol/solvent esters. Some coca cola smells as well. There is a touch of tropical fruits, figs and raisins mostly, but some feint woody characteristics as well, vanilla comes to mind.

The taste is rich and full flavored. The initial tastes come out nicely with an expensive dark chocolate taste. This is followed up with a more roast like flavor that isn't as astringent as would have expected, rather smooth and silky. Some sugary notes, molasses and alcoholic warmth to it. There is a smooth finish that isn't quite like a milk stout but has the feel to it. Some bonus flavors of vanilla and mocha finish off a great taste.

The body is noticeably big and chewy. The rich flavor adds to the silkiness almost like a oatmeal stout. Some oily textures that are a bit of a deterrent but overall a great beer to race to get.

02-04-2008 19:40:39 | More by Oxymoron
sweetbrew82

Poured from a 750 ML bottle into a tulip glass; No freshness date

P: Pours black from the elegant-looking bottle, and sits in the glass almost completely opaque aside from the sliver of rosy-brown light at the very edges. Even with a gently pour, it produced a big, 3-fingered head that was frothy, creamy, and pillowy. Showed an outstanding amount of retention, especially for a stout with this high of an ABV. As it finally subsides, the head leaves sheets of lace that stick to the glass like glue. Looks great!

A: Great nose filled with tons of roasted coffee, sweet chocolate, some dark fruits, a bit of bourbon-like alcohol, and some more espresso. Damn, I hope it tastes as good as it smells.

T: Oh man, does it ever! This is absolutely fantastic. As huge waves of roasted chocolate, delicious coffee beans, and an ever-so-slight Bourbon-flavored alcohol hit the palate, I am quickly transported to heaven. But, it gets even better because it's a little more hoppy than I would have expected. They introduce themselves to the palate after the initial rush of sweetness to provide a great balance, while staying in the background for the most part. It finishes with a twinge of dark fruit flavors, along with some caramel that joins the already delicious profile to add even more complexity, while the still subtle hop bill tingles the tongue and adds a bit of bitterness to the finish. This is a masterpiece!

M: Most of the Imperial Stouts that I've tried are very gently carbonated, while the Speedway Stout is a bit more aggressively carbonated to produce a tad more of a "prickly" feel (contributed to by the hops) on the tongue. So smooth, so luxurious, everything I could want from an Imperial Stout.

D: The drinkability is excellent, but watch out! The alcohol will definitely creep up on you. Obviously, this is no session beer. But, it tastes so damn good that I would be willing to drink as much as my brain could handle.

Notes: Wow! This just immediately became one of my all-time favorites, no doubt about it. The AleSmith Speedway Stout looks great in the glass, smells friggin' fantastic, and tastes even better! If you haven't had the chance to indulge yet, and your two favorite beverages are beer and coffee, then don't put it off any longer. Go out and get one. Matter of fact, get two. One for now and one to cellar, as this would probably be even better with some age on it. Very highly recommended!

12-22-2008 03:12:12 | More by sweetbrew82
sonicdescent

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Thank you stfun37 for yet another winner.

Pours a very dark and opaque red/brown, nearly black. Head is tan and frothy leaving a wonderful lacing around the outside of the glass.

The scent caught me off guard, actually has a scent that I associate with belgians, very fruity at first. Chocolate and roasted coffee is definitely present as well, but more relegated to the background that I had expected, not that that is a negative. No trace of alcohol.

Taste is extremely complex, there's some dark fruit, intense roasted malts, chocolate, all backed by a very strong coffee taste that lasts well after the drink. Very tasty and amazingly smooth.

Body is thick, viscous and mouth coating, almost chewy. Carbonation is low. Perfect.

Drinkability you ask? Yet another one I wish we could get here, I'll have no trouble finishing this bottle.

02-08-2009 02:58:55 | More by sonicdescent
PeprSprYoFace

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a super dark black. Nice tan head formed at the top that dissapated and left a nice sticky lacing on the glass.

Smells super toasty malts and coffee. Lots of coffee. Slightly sweet too.

Tastes wonderful. Lots of coffee and extra toasted malts. Almost some charred tasting malts. Semi tobacco taste too.

Mouthfeel is perfect. It is surprisingly not that thick and goes down smooth.

A very tasty brew. I am glad I have easy access to this brew. I will drink this alot of times as long as I have access to it. I feel I could session this brew too because it us not too heavy. But watch out the ABV will hit you because you don't really realize your drinking a 12% ABV brew.

02-28-2009 07:08:19 | More by PeprSprYoFace
Birdiebeagle

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Bottle thanks to Brandon Pours a good deep black with a creamy brown head. The head lasts well. The lacing is perfect. Has a wonderful aroma of good alcohol, roast, coofee, chocolate, and some spices. Has a light carbonation. A tewrrific mouthfeel. The flavor is real good. Alcohol is well hidden. The balance is real good. The flavor is wonderful. Not too heavy and very smooth. Has a thick texture. Has a full body. The finish is nothing short of super. A great lasting aftertaste. This is a flat out awesome beer. I would drink this anytime any place.

06-13-2009 03:41:34 | More by Birdiebeagle
Foxtrot

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Whether has turned cold, out come the Stouts.

Pours a deep sticky obsidian, coupled with a huge dark tan colored head. Retention was superb, and lacing was much evident.

Aroma is of immense bitter chocolate, coffee, espresso beans, and the darkest malts AleSmith was able to muster. Superb combination of all these scents culminates in a beer begging to be sipped.

What a great beer! It explodes up front with bitter sweet chocolate followed in due course by espresso and cocoa in the finish. Molasses was also prevalent, but took a back seat to all other things darker and tastier!

Mouthfeel was the epitome of "chewy". Big, thick, and viscous make this a formidable and enjoyable beer.

Drinkability is excellent, not the slightest hint of that 12% ABV.

10-23-2009 05:31:02 | More by Foxtrot
kzoobrew

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Dark murky bodied brew, negligible deep mahogany hues barely gleam through the slightest edge. The pour was less than heavy handed yet still managed to produce a surprisingly ample head. Nearly three full fingers before the pour hand to be cut short for fear of spilling over the top of the snifter. Cafe au lait colored head retains is stature surprisingly well and as it fades leaves the snifter slathered in moth eaten lace.

Robust aroma ignites the senses. Imposing amounts of bittersweet chocolate, deep roasted malts and freshly ground dark coffee are interwoven. The initial complexity is astounding when considering we are talking of limited characteristics. The subtlety of the molasses and slight booziness lose their appeal as I am completely engrossed by the more dominate smells.

Luscious bittersweet chocolate flavor hits the palate when almost immediately overtaken by the dark roasted malt. Burnt sugar and slight char give way to a full espresso flavor with lingers on the back of the palate. A substantial bitterness is noted and rather complimentary. Incredible balance of flavor, each aspect is allowed to flourish while being held in check and not overpowering. At 12% I am shocked there is not more of a burn, beers half the size are easily more harsh.

Earlier in the day I commented about the perfection of mouthfeel provided by Ten Fidy. Speedway not only equals but surpasses. Viscous and impressive, full thick body avoids crossing over into the realm of syrupy. Creamy and smooth. Carbonation levels are low but incredibly appropriate.

The more top tiered stouts I enjoy the more I appreciate their beauty. This beer is a privilege to enjoy. Disturbingly easy to drink. The alcohol is not noticed until your head gets just a little bit lighter. I believe my bottle is still on the younger side and there is absolutely no harshness. The idea that this may smooth out more with age is absurd. I have thoroughly enjoyed many great brews this year but this one certainly leaves me in awe. A tremendous way to send out 2009. Cheers!

Once again I am very grateful to Spdkilz, a generous BA for providing this brew in trade.

01-01-2010 02:17:07 | More by kzoobrew