AleSmith Speedway Stout - AleSmith Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2002

Reviews: 1,482 | Hads: 5,677
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

got this pimped out 750 in a trade a ways back.. want to say its courtesy of ejquin but hard to remember exactly. either way...

majestically noir into a brandy snifter. no light is penetrating. tan furry layer of thin cream rests atop.. trippy arms of lacing. very espresso-like in appearance, thanks to the microbrew coffee used in the brew process undoubtedly.

nose is unequivocally boozy, reminiscent in its malt/yeast profile of dogfish head big beers, wws most noticeably. chocolate malts release a really dry cocoa aroma mixed with some tree bark and wild, pungent hops. coffee isn't so much fresh brewed as it is oily, roasting beans. huge fucking beer to be respected.

slick, oily.. with a real snakebite in the finish. a sipper for sure, and that evens out the abrasive elements that throw off the body. when sipped, this is an invigorating experience. silky carbonation, dense, rich syrupy body and great hop levels keep each tag off the glass interesting and equally powerful. there are few beers that don't diminish in strength as you drink more.. and this is certainly one of them.

flavors i pick up here include burnt vanilla bean, coffee grounds, pumpkin pie filling, plummy/cherry yeast fruitiness and essential bittersweet chocolate syrup. a full, enriching beer experience.

dangerously drinkable. i had no problem throwing back a 750 of this over the course of an evening.. well, no problems until the next morning. 12% seems more like.. 9?

awesome beer, for a RIS (double? bah!).. no dark lord, but what is, besides dark lord. still, considering the availability of this beer and its dominance to other locals like stone.. an american classic through and through. (1,700 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance: Jet Black, with a toast-brown head Flavor: Starts with a strong coffee and dark chocolate sensation, then fades to a multitude of toasty, roasty and caramelly flavors. Finishes with a nice fullness but dry enough not to be cloying.
Aroma: COFFEE!
Mouthfeel Velvety smooth texture. Clean and crisp, full-bodied. Warmth from the high alcohol content lightens up the feel just a bit. Still, you won't fool your taste buds -- this beer is freaking Huge (463 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +13.3%

OK I am new so I am reviewing the beers I had last night and they happen to be my favorites so thats why the high scores...as I taste more and sample the scores will be more reasonable. Anyways this beer poured thick with a nice tall tan head that lasted for ever. I could have balanced a semi truck on this head. The amlty aroma I could have smelled for hours. Nice subdued hops in the nose not to overpower the lovely malts. The taste is incredible very complex with anise, raisin, roast, slight smoke and hung around on the palate for ever. the mouthfeel was equally incredible without being too thick. Very drinkable. a sligh alcohol edge that soothed with time. I felt I was drinking some expensive bottle of wine the way I judged it (Screaming Eagle like). I got this at Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido. I have heard this is hard to come by. try it if you find it...you will not be disapointed (900 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Where to start?

In the San Diego area there seems to have been a shortage of Speedway Stout; I swung by the brewery to buy some and was informed by a friendly but chagrined employee (Mike? Matt?) that they were waiting on coffee from Ryan Bros. before they could get a new batch on the market and that they didn't have any left at the brewery at all. He recommended a couple of places, both of which didn't have it, and I stumbled upon the last bottle at BevMo. I intended to give the bottle away for Chanukah, but was determined to at least try it. At the time I didn't have a chance to review, and I stumbled across another couple of bottles at Dick's Liquor. I've been saving my bottle for some time now; It's been calling to me.

I'm dissappointed immediately by the utter lack of a head; The cap hissed when I opened it, so I assume the cap seal wasn't bad, but there's just no head at all other than a few bubbles I force with an aggressive pour that soon dissappear. I'm left with a murky brownish-black tulip full of what looks like a nightmare child of dark wine and the blackest of military coffees. I hate giving this beer a below average score for appearance but as far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with my particular bottle - the other sample I tried was similarly headless.

The smell punches you in the nose with coffee (duh) and bitter baker's chocolate. Little whiffs of raisin and sour-fruity-sweetness tie the two together, and the alcohol makes a slight appearance. Heady, heavy, alcoholic, the scent is somewhat intimidating. That's a good thing!

The taste is so full of coffee, toffee and chocolate notes it's like drinking a cool mocha (maybe even an Irish coffee, with the alcoholic notes on the back of the tongue). The taste is just like the smell, with slight variations in the acidity of the raisin-plum notes that are the background to the chocolate-coffee. Big, big flavors have been forced into this one alongside big abv.

Mouthfeel takes a big hit because this simply doesn't have any carbonation. This Imperial/Double Stout has the right consistency - chewy and sticky, with lingering sheets of carmally flavors coating the inside of the mouth that just won't go away - but I wish it had some froth to liven things up a bit more than they already are.

For a Big Beer, this one drinks like a champ. Go into the game expecting alcohol and coffee and you'll flip for this one.

It may seem obvious that something was wrong with my bottle and I should have had more carbonation; But I reviews 'em as I sees 'em. I'm more than willing to try another bottle of this to see if I get a better example! Until then, my review stands. (2,681 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -24.1%

from hudson acme

i bought myself some new beerware to accomodate 750s, and frankly, this thing's too big. it's a 160 oz brandy snifter. that's right...it can accomodate FIVE 750s. anyway, i figured this was an appropriate brew to christen my BIG glass (i call it...the grrrail)

big chocolate aroma out of the bottle (which, now that it is empty, i see is green and not black). pours a reddish brown, but black in the glass. chocolatemilkshake head that sticks to the glass when it sloshes around (looks almost like changing tides in this glass). when i stick my face in the snifter's port (literally; when i sip my hairline is in the cavernous glass. i should wear a hairnet) i get alot of ethanol in my nose, along with the expected black malt aromas and some deep dark fruitiness

a fair amount of bitterness from the highly kilned malts, but it could be a much smoother drink. vanilla, rum, raisin. the hop bitterness seems to mesh with the ethanol flavor, so the alcohol appears more prevalent than it really is. in any case, i should be expecting some alcohol to come through (though it's a little strong in the aroma)

coffee doesn't seem to have as much of an impact compared to peché mortel, but i don't drink the stuff so i might be missing some of the nuances that i might pick up otherwise

in conclusion, i'm disappointed. i don't like the bitterness at all, i get too much ethanol aroma and, though complex, the flavors just aren't enjoyable. their wee heavy is much better (1,499 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured dark, almost black, and with a thick tan head (with a vigorous pour). Lacing clung to the glass throughout.

Smelled of chocolate and roasted grains, but didn't get much else out of it.

Tasted like chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, very slightly of alcohol. Malts were fairly well-balanced with hops.

Thick, almost chewy towards the end. Very good stout, but not something I could drink every night (another beer that kicked my ass). Maybe a pint here and there... (478 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Another brew I've been dying to try. I lugged this one back from Dilly Deli in Ohio after my trip to Kentuky. It pours from the bottle a dark, inky black and thick liked used motor oil. A small, dark tan head appears atop the brew and slowly fades to a ring around the glass with some spotty lacing. Looks good. Aromas of rich, lush chocolate rise up off the bat surrounded by wonderful espresso, burnt coffee aroma. Roasty dark fruits and caramel sneak in as well. The milk chocolate and coffee really lead the way and draw me into the brew.

First sip brings a rich, decadant melding of deep roasty chocolate malt and big coffee flavors. Some vinous dark fruits lurk underneath along with sweet toffee and caramel notes. However, the focus remains on rich chocolatey, coffee flavors throughout. Finishes rich and smooth with only a touch of bitterness and a hint of the 12% abv. A damn tasty brew.

Mouthfeel is big, chewy, creamy and malty with mellow carbonation. Fills the mouth well and goes down super smoothly. This would really pair nicely with dessert...maybe some tiramisu? Each sip has me coming back for more. This is a heavy hitter at 12%, packaged in a 750ml bottle, but at the same time it's a joy to drink. I'll definetly be coming back to this one again and I wish it was available locally. Simply an awesome brew for the stout and coffee lover alike. (1,373 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance: The pour into the snifter creates a .3" dark khaki head. It gradually recedes, leaving a ring around the glass and a few bubbles on the surface. The beer is black.

smell: Big chocolate and coffee flavors up front. Roasted, roasted, roasted smells everywhere. There's also a nice green hop aroma here. Only the slightest hint at the ABV is sensed by my nose.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is low, and the body slick, thick, and creamy.

taste: Deep and rich dark roast coffee, chocolate, and dark roasted grain flavors make up the bulk of the flavor. There is a considerable sweetness also. The twelve percent ABV is nowhere to be found. A conservative hop bitterness provides some much needed balance. The finish is of a lingering bitterness, some dark roast flavors, and some residual sweetness.

drinkability: very high, especially for a beer of this weight

During my visit to Madison, dirtylou was cool for long enough to split a bottle of this with me. (978 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

7/27/06 Update: Imperial/Russion Stout Session...10th in line for myself, expatsteve, DaPeculierDane, and Golden2wenty1. Thanks Solomon420 for the winner.

750ml bottle split with blackie, thanks to lou91 for shipping me this one and then hounding me to drink it!

appearance: pours dark as night, very near black, a chocolate brown creamy head forms with a chocolate rim

smell: rich and creamy, smooth sweet chocolate, rich and dark coffee, some licorice, faint alcohol, chocolate covered cherry, other dark fruit

taste: creamy smooth...sweet milky chocolate, dark roasted coffee beans, heavy licorice taste, alcohol is present but well disguised given the high percentage, cherry and other dark fruit soaked in alcohol then covered in chocolate, nice roasty dark malt backbone, only slight bittersweet hops...This one lived up to it's billing in my opinion

mouthfeel: wonderful, silky smooth, creamy, only slightly bittersweet

drinkability: 1/2 750ml is probably about all I can take in a sitting, but its smooth enough to be considered quite drinkable for the style (1,087 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

The beer poured into the glass black with a ruby highlight when held to light. The head was low and brown and fell slowly to coat the glass.

The aroma was fruity with a strong nutty contribution. The fruits were dark and contained raisins and prunes. The aroma was also roasty and toasty with a strong coffee and chocolate impression. The aroma also had a bit of toasted caramel and some alcohol to boot.

The flavor was chocolate with a strong coffee roasty flavor and a bit of molasses. The flavor changed on the palate but began with a bit of dark caramel followed almost immediately by chocolate and coffee coupled with alcohol which led into fruitiness. The fruits were again dark and that of raisins and prunes. The coffee flavor coupled with the alcohol led to a nice degree of complexity.

The finish was just almost dry with lasting bittering from hops and roasted grains, a bit of caramel and fruit, and lasting strong coffee and chocolate well into the aftertaste and beyond. The body was full and viscous, almost chewy. The alcohol was present throughout the bottle, but added rather than detracted. The alcohol warming after consumption was very high. The only issue the alcohol created was with drinkability.

750 ml capped bottle. Silk screened label. (1,275 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -0.5%

Black with mocha fuzz, not much of a head. Smell is lucious, sensuous chocolate. Strong but not sharp. Nutty. No hops. No alcohol. The liquid coats the tongue as the teeth chew through it. Thick. Creamed coffee with just the right bite and acidity to make things interesting but not uncomfortable. Again, there is little to no hops and alcohol compared to the monstrous malts at play here. This is a dessert for sure. Mocha malt milkshake. Wonderful.

[Note to self: This was a great beer, but the finish ends up being a little too clean and missing that certain magic that is necessary for me to pay a lot or go way out of my way for a beer.] (645 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -6%

This is a very dark beer pouring a dark black with an inch or so brownish/cream head. Smells of coffee and alcohol were the first thing I thought of. Tastes of coffee and roasted goodness made this beer live up to it's expectations. Mouthfeel was smooth and there was a good amount of warming as I sipped this one. I drank a 750 over the duration of the Patriots game and was happy I did so at home as the 12% will kick your butt. (430 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +5%

The beer pours dark brown/black. The head is nice and big. It is at least an inch in height. Its color is a creamy light brown/tan. There is also quite a bit of lacing going on according to the sides of my glass. Good head retention as well.

To the nose this beer smells wonderfu. Lots of roasted smells in the aroma. I can also smell some chocolate/coffee aromas. There is a faint smell of alcohol as well.

In the taste of this beer I don't detect any bitterness (well none that I could account to the hops). I taste the complexities of the malty character of this beer first and foremost. The beer is strong. It has a strong taste of both coffe and chocolate. The coffe taste lingers in the aftertaste for a bit and then eventually becomes a dry roasted taste in the back of the mouth. Bitterness is percieved early on by the heavy roasted flavor that bombards the palate. There is also, as in the smell, a detectable alcohol presence. It is in the background of the beer's flavor, and its presence adds a bit of a kick to the overall effect of the flavor.

The mouthfeel of this beer is quite good as well. There is a low amount of carbonation and alcohol warms a bit as it goes down. It also warms the stomach once it has been in there for a while. It has a nice full body and is heavy on the palate. This beer is not hard to drink. I feel that this is one that must be sipped. It could make me real sick real fast if I drank this too fast. Its a good deal and I'll probably buy it sometime in the future again but I'm just not sure when. In my opinion Storm King is a better deal. For the 12$ I spent on this bottle I could have had a six of Strom King and had a buck or two to spare. However I believe that this beer is available year round. (1,755 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from bottle(room temp) pitch black with a small head that dissipated quickly leaving just a fine ring around the edge of the glass.

The smell is of maple syrup and/or molasses with some coffee notes as well.

The taste is full of coffee and molasses and is very thick in texture. There's a lot of smokiness as well for me in the flavour and that is definitely a positive in its overall presentation.

Wow. I had this one fresh and it was a treat but this +1 year old sample just kicks it up a notch or 2. Did I mention how obtrusive the 12% abv was in my review of this beer? I didn't? Well...there's a warming effect coming from this brew for sure but in no way was it obtrusive. Highly recommended!! (715 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

2003 edition. Pours an oil consistency but in a good delicious way. A small deap dark purple head arose. Looks pretty tastey. Smells heavily of chocolate and coffee. The taste is outstanding. coffee and chocolate definitely apparent with cherry and sweet in the background. Sits nice on the tongue. Alcohol is surprisingly light in taste considering the 12% load; although it does gain some prominance as it sits for a while. An all in all outstanding stout. (458 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This poured from the bottle a deep light absorbing black. Virtually no head developed on the top of the beer. The aroma is a great blend of chocolate covered cherries, raspberries, mild coffee, and burnt toffee. The flavor has a ton of the chocolate covered cherries. Rich dark espresso, and a finish of orange from the hops. This has a smooth rich mouth feel. Amazing drinakibility although there is a mild alcohol warming. This is a world class stout. (453 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

I had a 750mL of this shared with a friend.
Appearance: Nice presentation with the 750mL bottle instead of a regular 22oz. Pours a very viscous dark opaque liquid like crude from the ground and creates a dark tan head that is composed of the tiniest of bubbles I have ever seen in a beer. The head remains for a long time (longer than it took to drink~20minutes/12oz?) and creates lacework as you imbibe this distilled liquid night.

Smell: Smells of sweetened dark chocolate with a whiff of coffee. Very sweet smelling for a stout and little to no alcohol odor which is a suprise with such a high alcohol content. Traces of raisins and maybe currants were present as well. Last but not least a hint of brown sugar and vanilla.

Taste: Upon the first sip, I noticed the malty flavors within this stout and couldn't really distinguish much else. As I progessed to the second sip I could taste some bitter dark chocolate with a hint of sweetness like raisins and then the coffee came through on the back end. This is a pretty well balanced beer with some really strong flavors competing for dominance in your mouth. It reminds me of a sweeter stlye barleywine perhaps and IMHO is a good buy for the intensity of the flavors that it generates. Hops flavors are subdued and probably only included as bittering agents since I detected no noticeable floral flavors or smells.

Mouthfeel: This is a category that this stout excels in. The rich, velvety texture of it leaves you always wanting another sip and I could hardly contain myself even with the high alcohol content. There is some slight alcohol warming, but it is really incredible that there isn't more. Carbonation within the beer was appropriately low compared to what I expected upon seeing the creamy head form. Any higher and it would have been hard to distinguish any more smells and flavors. Any less and it almost wouldn't have been there at all.

Drinkability: This beer gets a slightly above average rating for this in my book because you really shouldn't drink more than one a night. If the alcohol content were lower or the beer were less rich, it would easily score much higher. (2,156 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance – 750 ml bottle bought several months ago at Bev Mo and carried back to Mass with me on a plane. Not sure of the age, but the bottle has the old paper label with silver foil. In my tulip the beer is pitch black with a bubbly head with good retention and lacing.

Smell – Rich chocolate and coffee without a hint of alcohol. Sadly, I believe that this has a bit of oxidation resulting in a bit of cardboard in the aroma.

Taste – The perceived oxidation in the nose does not appear in the taste. At first it has a slight charcoal flavor, but that dies down quickly and the coffee flavor takes over. Slightly bitter aftertaste. As I drink more the sharp roastiness calms down and the full flavors off this beer come out. There is a solid amount of hop bitterness, but not much hop flavor. Alcohol is only mildly present, impressive for such a big beer.

Mouthfeel – Medium-full body for the style with subdued carbonation.

Drinkability & Notes – In an hour and a half or so I had no problem, aside from inebriation, polishing off the whole 750 by myself. Luckily this beer just became available near by, so I will give a fresh bottle a try to see how it compares to this abused bottle. Overall, I feel like without the addition of coffee this would be a stout lacking flavor, there just isn't much to the base beer. A solid coffee stout, but at least this bottle is not earth shattering. (1,411 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks yet again to Naerhu for this treat!

Dark, black as deepest night. Capped with a soft creamy brown cloud, leaving a droplet maze of boozy lace. With just a look, it seduces me.

Coffee, naturally, and dark cocoa. Deeply, darkly bitter, with sweetness hiding below the surface. Just a touch of charred roastiness.

Intense flavour. Deep, dark, black coffee -- just the way I like it. I'd like to try this one lazy morning instead of my habitual pot of coffee. Cocoa notes and an undercurrent of strong boozy sweetness.

Thick and viscous, yet soft and silky. The heaviness is cut through by alcohol, resulting in a beautiful, balanced feel. Gorgeous.

Clearly not an all-night beer -- Naerhu is right that a 750 for two of us was a bit much. That said, it's a beautiful brew despite the incredible heaviness. Something I hope to sip in more measured doses many more times. (888 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

A - Jet black body with a dark brown crema colored head. Speckling foam lacing as a result of the high abv.
S - Coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts.
T - Big coffee flavors, massive bitterness that just goes on forever. One sip and you can taste the bitterness for minutes afterward and one exhale can still taste the coffee. Rich cacao. Amazing balance between alcohol, sweetness, bitterness and acidity.
M - Yeasty silkness. Fine carbonation. I would guess this is bottle conditioned. Far too viscous and thick.
D - This is just too heavy and rich. A 750 split 4 ways is good, but between two people, it is just too much. (629 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured out of a (green?!?) bottle, just a thick, glossy black. Liquid black velvet, with an extremely dense light brown head that sticks around for ages. Opaque sheets of lacing.

Smells of rum, espresso, and plums. Slightly spicy, and very little alcohol noticeable. As it warms, a bit of vanilla rises out.

Tastes of cream, espresso and plums, with an aftertaste of grapefruits, bananas and black licorice. Delightfully complex, and the alcohol just disappears in all the flavor. It's obvious some care went into choosing the coffee and chocolate (I assume there's some dark chocolate somewhere in here?) for this brew.

Mouthfeel is extremely smooth and light at first (I dipped my nose in on the first sip, thinking I was only getting the foam), and just blooms in your mouth into a wonderfully chewy, bubbly flow. As it works its way down your throat, it leaves a very mild warming sensation as it goes.

I know this stuff is 12%, but man, I'd be more than happy to give another bottle ago (assuming I can see well enough to open it). Splitting a 750 with a friend would be a good idea, but trust me, it'll be hard to share.

If you have a friend who has some of this in their possession, it'd be worth the jail time and effort to hide the body, just to have it for yourself.
I'm just sayin'.

Oh that I could find this locally! Thanks to Beerhandy for this! (1,378 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%

At last an Alesmith beer that lives up to its reputation. Speedway is an all-around solid beer with abundant composure and charm. It pours from the bottle with a strange clicking sound then proceeds to emit an inviting and sustained chocolaty nose. The flavor is mellow as though possibly tempered by age. In fact, I might guess that I got a bottle of old stock that had matured gracefully.

Coffee elements achieve a suitable balance while the alcohol presence is remarkably well integrated. The bitter chocolate and coffee finish tagged with a waft of pure smoke is solid and compelling. A few stray phenols dance in the mix, but all-in-all this is a well-balanced and skillfully composed stout with an enormous tangy mouthfeel and a finish like a good cigar. (765 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a midnight black with a nice foamy tan head. Very thick head and it left nice lacing down the glass.
Smell of roasted coffee and more roasted coffee. Chocolate notes are present. Very malty with a slight oily hoppiness. Very thick body that has a syrup like feel. Bits of cherries or currants were also slightly noticed. The alcohol is well hidden and this beer could sneak up on you. Very drinkable. Tasty malts and coffee with a sweet and yet burnt aftertaste. Too bad it's only a 750 ml bottle. HA HA!! (524 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

This is another one I'm skeptical of, because it's just another stout in the "top 25", and excited for, because I've heard good things, and I've had some great beers by this brewery. Let's get down to business. Black, opaque, with a thin head. No light sneaks through. I've been trying to coin a term "pitch brown", for those dark blackish beers that are really brown, but this is a black beer. I didn't know this before I bought it, but apparently there's real coffee beans in this one, and you can sure smell it. Definite chocolate notes as well on top of the rich roasted malts. Ooh boy this is an evil one. Ok... let's see. First of all, I'm a big fan of all beer styles, your uber light, crisp pilsner all the way up to your double extra engine oil drilbbling thick sout and everything in between, as long as they're well made. That being said, I'm pretty sick of the coffee and chocolate stouts, just adding shit to get some extra flavor. Sometimes, it seems artificial. I mean, yes, this is America, and we all love it, but let's not over-simplify things. There's a lot of beers that can impart that roasty coffee or chocolate flavor just with the roasted malts and with out extra ingredients. But this one is alright in my book. It's got enough other complexity and character to balance the beans. An excellent vanilla creamy character to this one. It borders on the more vinous English stout characteristics, with really fruity undertones of rasperries and raisons, combined with the slight kick of alcohol, which is barely detectable, only by the sweet welcoming warmth. I'm urging all you stout fans, and I know there's a lot of you out there, to go buy this beer, and soil yourself, because this is a stout lover's dream. So rich, so dark, so. I'm recognizing it as an amazing brew, very well made, and I'm really enjoying it right now myself. What it lacks, and what I crave, is a bit of balance, as is true for any brew in my book. It does provide that needed bitterness via the burnt malts, but I really am struggling to identify any presence of hops here, and I ain't no hop head. I'm trying though. If I could taste the least bit of spice here, a littel hoppy spice, (just a tad folks!) I'd be jumping for joy. But hey, I know everyone else out there is looking for this to be your ultimate black hole dark stout, and that's what it is. So if you want a well balanced beer, go buy a hop devil or something. Let's not split hairs here. Go git your darkness people. Enjoy it. (2,490 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Eased open the cap with a "Fssst!" Read the back of the bottle and got the scoop about loads of coffee beans.

Released into a glass with a buh-lack brown opaque midnight hue giving up no ghosts of glow or glints of light through this used motor oil, topped off with a settled menacingly khaki colored tan head cap. This could hide a welder's torch, for beer's sake!

Deep aromas of expresso, no doubt. Toffee and black coffee.

First swigs: It's all oily coffee. Some bready characteristics do manage to creep through along the lines of a rye bread. Some rummy awl-kee-hawl middle. Finish is a lingering roasted burnt coffee.

Feel is thick as a mo' fo' but not quite the THICKEST feel in the world. A tongu coater indeed. Even some heat in the palate despite still being more cool than not. A bit oliy.

Last swigs: Coffee been and quite the tongue ruiner. This is the boldest coffee flavored stout this side of Peche Mortel.

Beer is good. Happy thick coffee stout shooey beering. (999 characters)

AleSmith Speedway Stout from AleSmith Brewing Company