AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Reviews: 1,233 | Hads: 3,668
Reviews by DrunkenPanther:
3.26/5  rDev -23.8%

The appearance of this brew was a nice dark amber with a great tan head. Had me excited to drink it. Then I took a smell. 150% grapefruit smell. Now I love hops, but this aroma was a bit too powerful.
Well, after the smell, I was expecting a grapefruit taste. I did get a grapefruit taste somewhat, but it was overshadowed by an extreme bitterness. Im talking really bitter. This took away the ability to really taste a whole lot.
In all, this beer isnt bad to have 1, and I did rate it higher than I was originally thinking, but that is because I am thinking that bottle must have been a bit off. I would like to try this again and adjust my review. Said that, as of now, it was way too bitter and grapefruit tasting to want to drink many.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Nice, golden-orange color with a magnificent 4 finger+ head and spotty lacing. Aromas of fresh squeezed orange are abundant, and also some hints of grapefruit, light pineapple and hops. Taste is so balanced with tastes of orange juice, light citrus peel and hoppy bitterness. Finish is, once again, very balanced, crisp and has a great feel of hop bite at the end...

4.75/5  rDev +11%

22oz bottle into tulip.

A - Hazy orange copper with a dense white head.

S - Huge mango and tropical fruit aroma. Amazing.

T - A blast of juicy tropical fruit and dank, earthy hops. Somewhat bitter. Spectacular.

M - Medium-full body, smooth, dry. Sticky.

O - This is no doubt one of the best beers brewed in the U.S. A quintessential west coast IPA.

4.24/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I absolutely love this brew. It was the first legit west coast IPA I got my hands on in the Midwest. Never disappoints, great balance, taste, and smell.

Outside of Pliny, this and Apline Duet would be my top choices for 'last beer on earth'.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

My first AleSmith brew! Pours a beautiful orange hue (I rhymed). Off white foam and moderate lacing. Smell is glorious - grapefruit and juicy tangerine. Taste has a nice malt backbone with grapefruit and tangerine - the finish has lingering, bitter floral hops. A nice creamy mouthful. Definitely a candidate for my favorite west coast IPA.

From a bomber dated 1/27/15.

A rather well balanced IPA...not exactly what I expected from a SD brewery but pleasant nonetheless (although I certainly don't object to hop bombs!). The bready maltiness actually dominates on both the nose and tongue for me. The fruity and bitter elements from the hops are there but pretty subtle when compared to a lot of other west coast IPAs. This is a real quality brew, but, considering the cost, I'm not sure I'll come back to it anytime soon....a couple more bucks will get me a sixer of some other great stuff.

4.58/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Palate destroying, citrus-y goodness. This IPA defines west coast.

I know it is craft beer heresy to say this, but given the option of Alesmith IPA, Blind Pig, or Sculpin, I am going Alesmtih. This is the perfect IPA, in my opinion. Love this beer.

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Classic, silk-screened white lettering on a dark brown 'bomber' bottle. This is my first AleSmith beer and I'm expecting great things.

Slightly hazed, orangish peach that should become significantly more clouded on subsequent pours as the yeast find their way into the glass. The head is light toffee in color and is stiff, sticky and pitting. There's plenty of lace already and the cap has just begun to recede. Ultimately, the glass is coated with a huge amount of thick, chunky lace in rings and sheets.

The aroma is 'hop heaven'. Loads of citrusy hops are atomizing themselves purely for my olfactroy enjoyment and I couldn't be happier. Clouds of orange peel and grapefruit peel essence--along with fresh pine--fill the room. I can't imagine that this aroma could be improved upon.

The flavor is, in a word... fabulous. Massive quantities of citric hops must have been used in the brewing and it shows. In fact, AleSmith IPA strikes me as a 'tweener', a beer that occupies that fuzzy zone between the IPA and DIPA styles in terms of flavor, hoppiness and ABV. The initial impression is of a solid wall of juicy hops rolling across the tongue, followed by a glimmer of toasted malt that tries vainly, but ultimately in vain, to stand up to the resinous hop attack.

That's not to say that the flavor profile is overbalanced toward the hops, just that they're clearly in charge and both parties know it. The malt provides the sweet, cake-like underpinnings that allow the hops to run rampant and assault the tastebuds with some (minor) degree of restraint. A balancing act par excellence. I think it's pretty apparent by now that I truly love this beer, but let's continue.

The finish is a never-ending sweetsticky symphony of hops; again, tempered by the ever-present, but never intrusive, toasty caramel malt. The body is big, but not huge. This is no Dreadnaught, but I can't think of an IPA that has a creamier, silkier, smoother, bigger body. The alcohol is hidden exceedingly well. It's only evident in a slight warming (in my stomach and in my soul) as the bomber disappears.

Quality, quality, quality. AleSmith IPA is neck-and-neck with my favorite IPA/DIPAs so that any differences in score are trivial at best. It isn't available in this state, but it is available on-line so that I have a ready supply if I so choose. And believe me, I choose in a big way. If you love IPAs and haven't yet had AleSmith's inspired version, it's worth whatever effort and expense that is required.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to garagekegger for sharing his bomber with me,poured a slightly hazy light amber with a nice one finger head,aromas of course are intensly hoppy very piney and citrusy.This is a bold tasting IPA very resiny and piney along with lemon rind but there is a firm somewhat nutty malt backbone that is very noticable.A damn fine IPA loaded with flavor damn I want more!

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance – Thick, cloudy orange with a big head that went down slowly.

Smell – Sharp, piney hops with a light malt balance.

Taste – The malt comes out more in the taste. It’s almost like a bread flavor. The hops dominate, although they taste more complex than I picked up at the nose.

Mouthfeel – There’s some good, foamy carbonation to this medium-bodied IPA.

Drinkability – This one is very smooth, almost light. The 7.25 ABV is unnoticable. If you like your IPAs smooth and even (as opposed to hairy and over-the-top) give this one a shot if you can find it.

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle shared with MSUBulldog at Concordia Ale House in Portland.

Hands down one of the finest IPAs I’ve ever had.

Full, rich, luxurious body is the color of soft copper. Clear and brilliant with healthy lacing the lasts long after the thick ivory subsides. Memorable green hop aroma that also contains plenty of citrus ranging from sweet, ripened navel oranges to bitter grapefruits. Flavor has a wonderful caramel malt quality that is surprisingly balancing towards the pine/citrus bitterness and yeasty fruitiness. Balance is key here. Everything I want in an IPA can be found but damn this one is drinkable, it feels good, it’s beautiful…just an all around winner.

I can’t wait to get some more of this when in Ohio in two weeks. Hopefully I’ll be able to stock up.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Serving date: 2009-05-17. Served in snifter.

A: Amber colored, slightly hazy due to bottle conditioning. A 3 cm white head that leaves plenty of chunky lacings as it settles. Decent retention and great looking lacings.

S: Very pronounced citric character - lemon and grapefruit abound. Plenty of floral hops and hop resins as well. Some caramel and subdued malts. Slightly spicy. The hop aromas are really outstandning and so fresh they almosts stings the nose.

T: Wonderful hop character here as well. Grapefruit and lemon peel dominate. Faint notes of mango. The malty caramel flavor is quite big but still obviously plays second violin with the hops taking center stage. Some spices in the middle. The finish is rather bitter, but the bitterness is really integrated in the overall profile. It finishes with floral hops, pine-needles and again a slightly spicy sensation. The finish is long. No sign of the alcohol.

M: Medium body, not very crisp. The carbonation level in this one is close to perfect. Medium amount of small and rather calm bubbles - it really suits the beer well.

D: A great IPA. Perhaps not very complex, but very well balanced and with a beautiful hop character of lemon and grapefruit. It goes down really easy and I would definitely have another if it was offered to me.

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic beer from Alesmith. I had a bottle on 10/24 that was bottled on 10/2. Very fresh.

It pours a dark copper, very transparent and not murky at all. It tasted extremely refreshing. The bitterness was perfectly blended with some sweet citrusy notes. It smells as good as it tastes, too. This is easily one of the more "complete" IPAs that I have had. I don't have a single complaint about it. I think it is very well done and I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys IPAs and DIPAs

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

What a great looking beer! This poured a very nice burnt orange color with a huge frothy white head that left nice spider web like lace down the whole glass. The smell was very strong on hops as expected, but they were a bit more pine like than I was expecting. There was also a nice toasty malt character peaking through as well. The taste was great, with a wonderful piney hop profile and just enough malt character to balance it out. The bottle-conditioning gave the mouthfeel a very smoothe character and not overly carbonated at all. If I had to compare this to any other IPA, it would be Stone IPA. This one leans more on the side of the pine flavors and is not quite as dry tasting as the Stone. Between these two, I think one would have an IPA for every occation.

4.02/5  rDev -6.1%

A: thin off-white foam head, a translucent golden bronze.

S: hops! very fresh, can almost taste the bitterness.

T: not as hoppy as the smell would suggest, but a blast of lemon first hits the taste buds along with grapefruit and other citrusy goodness.

MF/D: very fine bubbles that do not underscore the taste.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

A- Copper-gold, completely clear, minus a few tiny suspended particulates. Creamy white head evolved into a just as creamy foam layer
S- Malty followed immediately by a good hop smack. Deep, dark hops. Grape (like the flavor not the fruit as much)/lemon, pine
T- Hops first malt second in the mouth. So balanced. The bittering/floral aspects of the hops are damn near perfectly executed.
M- Exactly how a nice IPA is supposed to be for me. Nice, even, smooth carbonation that coats the tongue paired with a robust wetness
This is a great beer. One of my favorite IPA's in San Diego. IT IS better than GOOD. Sooo perfectly balanced and easy to drink.

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company