Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Reviews: 1,218 | Hads: 3,594

Ale Smith is hands down my favorite IPA though I've only had it bottled. Way easier as a daily drinker than Pliny and has those floral citrus notes right in the head that we all love and then...nothing. No lingering sensations, no major bite at the back. It's all in the front and it's damn good.

Alesmith IPA

Very beautiful pour, amazing colored body - A very hazy amber infused orange. Very solid and toned 1/2 inch head.

Lovely and refined aromatics. A glistening amount of fresh citric hops. I can smell Challenger for sure. With a light floral finish. Perfection, and pure bliss. The aroma is by far one of the most solid ones from any IPA to date, 5 on this for sure.

Now lets get on to the taste. The good stuff ya know? Begins clean and gives several twists soon after, which turn out to be quite a story. A massive amount of huge flavorful hopping. Notes of grass, buckets full of grapefruit, and some lemon zest. While being backed by plenty of earthy malt. Everything is crisp, and directly on point. The overall spectrum is amazing, and you will not be disappointed.

This is an amazing concoction. This is something I wake up in the morning, and first think about. It's just that damn good. Alesmith seizes to impress, and with another top-notch beer - they secure their spot.

My favorite IPA ever, and I recommended getting your hands on this as soon as possible, with what ever means necessary.

Thanks a bunch to Ryan for the chance to sample this beauty.

Absolute perfect example of an America IPA. Beautiful aromatics and flavors of tropical fruit followed by bright citrus and piney bitterness. Great lacing in a pint glass. It finishes with a welcome bitterness that lingers pleasantly on the palate. This is the IPA that most IPA's want to be when they grow up.

Acquired from drewbage via hand-trade and cellared for a year or so.

Appearance - um, try about 4-5 fingers of foam before I even see what color the beer is!! That settles of course, revealing a dull yellow, cloudy, and *extremely* effervescent beer. Takes a while to fill the glass as the bubbles flare up immediately. Ragged clumps of lace everywhere. the pour is its own event.

Aroma - spicy orange and pine aromas along with a boozy element enhancing the bready, biscuity malts.

Taste - a sweet, somewhat chewy malt base, very sturdy. Intensely bitter and dry but with enough sweetness to really balance it. Alcohol is quite visible on the swallow, but the full flavor of the beer subdues it some. The finish is warm with grapefruit and pine flavors. Extremely tasty in all the right areas.

Mouthfeel - very smooth and creamy, critical to ensure the carbonation doesn't run away with half the flavor. Gets heavier as it warms, but sets up the flavors perfectly.

Drinkability - I just can't find anything to complain about here, except that I didn't drink this sooner and ask Drew to bring me 5 more, lol. Maybe that'll change, I've been seeing more Alesmith around the area lately, this one's a keeper. Thanks Drew!!!

Pours a cloudy apricot glazed amber with a quickly disappearing head..The aroma was extremely piney and had strong notes of wet freshly cut grass, grapefruit...starts with a nice balanced bitter grapefruit flavor, showing subtle piney notes but remaining quite balanced. I used to think this beer was more over the top, but its surprisingly balanced..maybe a tad bit too much...maybe....Alcohol is completely hidden though...and its not as sticky as some IPAs can be. A really good IPA, one of my favorites.

Found a rare stash of this brew at a local market tonight in a 22 oz bottle. Poured into an ale glass when I got home.

A. Beautiful. Cloudy amber with a big thick head that had an almost meringue-like quality. Lots of thick lacing.

S. Nice balance of pine and citrus.

T. Plenty of hops, but the bitterness was consigned to the background.

M. Moderate carbonation, very balanced and pleasing.

D. Yeah. I could drink this all night. Hides its 7.25% ABV very well.

I'd put this in my top 5 favorite IPAs without question. I wish it wasn't so hard to get in Portland.

Serving type: 22 oz bottle.

Pours clear amber with thick (really thick) frothy head that is amazingly long lived. It looked like there was almost a fresh dollup of foam as I finished my slowly sipped glasss - exceptional.

Very fragrant floral aroma with a hint of rose and citrus. Nice. Not overblown. Not trying to outdo the brewery down the road - exceptional.

Perfectly balanced moderately bitter, very floral hops with a solid but not sweet malt base. Tastes and feels lighter than the 7% ABV. I truly think this is the best IPA I have had - exceptional.

Mouthfeel is basically perfect. Smooth, not syruppy, nicely carbonated but not fizzy. Exceptional

Please let me know if you find a more drinkable, better tasting IPA. I don't mean DIPA, but IPA. I think this is exactly what they should be. Nicely hopped, high alcohol content, and well balanced. Exceptional.

Why did I only buy one bottle?!? This beer almost makes me think I should knock a 1/2 point off some of the others I have reviewed. Awesome.

Picked up a 22 while out at the brewery the Sunday before Labor Day. Have been itching to open this one, particularly after trying a sample in the tasting room.

Pours a clear dark gold with very nice two finger white head. Smells of mostly piney hops with a sweet malt backbone. Tastes of a supercharge full of hops. Again with the pine, but with some peppery spice, a little citrus as well. Has a delicate floral taste that resonates theoughout. Tastes bitter but not over the top. A great even-keeled, refreshing IPA. This matches my favorite of all time. Sets the standard for an IPA. Go get some!

Serving type: Bomber into a shaker pint like God intended.

Pours a honey-amber coloration. Smell is slightly citrusy, well hopped, along with some pine-y and citrus zesty scents. Taste reflects the smell, light citrus flavors along with some great hop punch that aren't overpowering. Very much a West coast IPA. The mouthfeel is slightly thicker than normal for an IPA (treading on DIPA territory) but it is well carbonated, it compliments the bigger hop and zest flavors well.

Would buy again and again.

this freakin beer is the shit!! moved up to number one on my favorite IPAs ahead of Pliny and enjoy by..
Awsome stuff!! and only 5 bucks a bomber why drink any other,

Pours a golden cloudy copper with a smooth fluffy white head that leaves some ridiculously generous lacing all over the place. This head does not die, ever.

Very sweet grapefruit pine aroma, overall smells very good.

The first second of the sip is all malts, good caramel presence with a nice bready character, then the grapefruit pine hop comes in and delivers its punch. Overall percieved bitterness is low, but hop character is very strong. Citrus rind flavors are all over the place and the exhale exibits alcohol, dextrin sweetness, and floral hop characters all at once.

Not enough can be said about the mouthfeel of this beer, tends towards the heavier bodied and is incredibly creamy. Carbonation is not overpowering at all in fact it carries the flavor well. Just the way I like my big beers, chewy chewy chewy. A meal in a glass.

Alcohol is not as apparent as I thought it would be, overall a very filling and delicious brew. Most likely THE perfect IPA. Amazing.

Huge thanks to 0110x011 for sending this incredible brew in a recent trade.

Pours into my Duvel tulip a gorgeous glowing golden color with a huge, fluffy, frothy, white head that seems to last forever...

Big, citrusy grapefruit/orangey aroma wafts out of the glass and bombards me with a sweet hoppy smell that is very reminiscent of Hopslam.. This is an IPA? Sure don't look or smell like it...

Wow... I'm completely unprepared for this blast of sweet, hoppy, citrusy, juicy goodness... Its just ridiculous... Its the perfect IPA...loaded with a West Coast hoppiness and balanced by a sweet maltiness... Man, this is great..

Scary, scary drinkable... I can't get enough and before I know it, this is almost gone...

Ok, I'll admit it... This blows every other IPA away in my book.. My previous favorites just don't have what this one does.. Unfortunately, unless Alesmith decides to start distribution to Tn, I won't be having this one again anytime soon. And that's just sad...

Best IPA in the world or at least the best that I've ever had..

This is the closest to beer perfection I've ever come, the first 5.0 I've ever given. I can't imagine liking a beer better than this. Plenty of everything good, but not too much of anything. Everything about it is exceptional without being overdone. That it is so well composed is more shocking than any over hopped giant, in my opinion. Then again, I am most fond of IPAs that press toward the edge, but I find most imperials to be too much--not too much to handle, but for me too bitter to taste.

I did not like the AleSmith Speedway Stout, although I respected it. I was worried that this would be similar. It was similarly interesting, but unsimilarly approachable. This beer wins.

22 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass at room temp. Bottle 50 degrees.

Appearance - Slightly hazy golden color with a great white head.

Smell - Nice and citrus with hoppy notes that just popped out at you.

Taste - Grapefruit, mango flavors, with some pine for bittnerness. A good hop finish all the way through. Great beer at a great price.

Mouthfeel - Nearly perfect body and carbonation. Could use just a bit more body, I guess, but for something categorized as a single IPA, I cannot complain.

Overall - This is just magnificent. Seek this out. And to those of you who have access to this, send me more!

4.99/5  rDev +16.6%

This is the best IPA that I have ever had. I'm not saying the BEST. I am not trying to have THAT conversation. There are MANY MANY IPAs I have NOT had. There are many I have had that YOU may think are better. I repeat: This is the best IPA that I have ever had. Too bad AleSmith isn't in MD.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

A - Light gold with a HUGE creamy head and a metric shit ton of lacing

S - a din of hops. Mainly piney but a bit of citrus fruit come through as well

T - just like the aroma. Piney as ever and just enough malt to back the bitterness

M - God I love bottled conditioned beers. So soft so elegant

D - I could drink this forever.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Sunset orange in color, mostly clear, with a big two-finger head that leaves a massive amount of lace down the glass. Very fresh, citric hop aroma. The flavor is undergirded by a very lightly sweet malt, with both caramel and biscuit-like flavors. The hops in this beer are incredible. Citric and piney, they are at once aggressive and understated. Just perfectly well-integrated into the beer. Exceptionally well-balanced, with a medium body, a luxuriously silky texture, and a dry finish. Bravo!

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance: The color is slightly darker than gold with a lasting, noticeable head. Looks very pretty.
Smell: I wouldn't mind suffocating to death with this scent. The smell is simply amazing. Sweet grapefruit, mangoes, pineapple, and other sweet, tropical flavors. It'll make you eager for the taste.
Taste: Follows the nose. Sweet front, with a slight bitter ending.
mouthfeel: medium body. I guess what you expect from an IPA.
Overall: This is one of the best IPAs I've tasted to date. This IPA is a must try to anyone. Whether you're a seasoned, veteran beer connoissuer, or a beginning, new beer drinker. This selection won't be a considered a waste.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Hazy golden amber with swirling, steady carbonation and a rocky, meringue-like off-white head. Intoxicating (yes, of course!) aromas of grapefruit juice, spruce sap, and sugared limes. Sweet candied lemons, grapefruit pulp mashed with sugar, fresh pine cone burps. Some malt is there; it's gotta be there, because the hop levels in this IPA are so strong that it could easily cross the "too much" line...but it doesn't! Credit due to the implied, understated, yet fully functional malt presence. Juicy, smooth mouthfeel; dry yet sweet; my tongue buzzes from hop astringency. Lovely. Just insanely drinkable. This has to be as near to perfect as an IPA can get. It's great to have in-laws in AZ so I can get this from time to time. Absolutely stellar.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Growler filled at the brewery. The first pour is great, and the pint just as delicious as it is straight from the tap. This beer kept well over the 2 days it lasted, perhaps a little better than the growler of Speedway kept. The malt was a little understated for the last pour but that signature delicious tropical smell and quintessential hop smack were alive and well.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

A - Transparent (the slightest hint of haze) orange body with tall white head.
S - Caramel, fruity citrus and pine in abundance.
T - Slightly bitter, though long lasting and elegant. Lots of fruit enveloping the malt. The alcohol very well integrated. Simply amazing.
M - I dont know how they made this so smooth and vibrant. Lightly carbonated, beautiful.
D - Absolutely delicious. This beer alone makes me want to move back to california.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

Perfect amber color with white head that laces nicely down a pint glass. Hops aroma and bitterness are ever present, but not so overwhelming that you can't taste the malts. Guessing a cennential/cascade/chinook/amarillo mix. Whatever it is, I know I want more.

On top of this being a unbelievable IPA, I had a nice experience albeit a short one at Alesmith. I was on a business trip with some time to kill, so i drove to the Brewery. Much to my dismay, the sign said it was closed. Not to be dismissed that quickly, I decided to take a look in the window because I had never been to a brewery in an industrial strip mall. As I looked in, I noticed there was definitely some activity going on. So, I poked my head in, explained that I was from NC, and asked if I could buy a couple 22s. Answer was "sure" and they bagged a few IPAs for me and threw in a couple of stickers and some coasters. I've never seen Alesmith in a store, but the price they charged me was more than reasonable.

Hopefully, they'll distribute in NC soon!

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

I drink this regularly; in fact, it is probably my favorite IPA.

It is one the first West Coast IPAs, I really got into when moving to California. When I first tried it, I liked it but I wasn’t use to the enormous amount of hops. I was a pussy. Now I can’t get enough it, it’s remarkable.

Cascade hops are now pretty much my best friends. West Coast IPAa are a staple of my refrigerator and anytime I can step to a Double, Triple, Imperial – anything, anyway you want to call something with absurdly high hops in it – I’m all about it. What really elevates Alesmith’s IPA above and beyond the truly great Cali IPAs is the way it has a slight sweetness than keeps the hops at bay. It ties it all together in a nice, smooth manner.

I really can’t say enough good things about this beer. I send to my friends on the East Coast – who, unfortunately cannot get it there. I dream about when I sleep. Seriously, just go out and get yourself one, if you can.

22 oz bottle via ncvbc

A: Semi-hazy dark golden body under a huge fizzy, but thicker than anticipated, white head. Pretty good lace and the head will not go away. Almost finished with my first pint and the head has gone to about half the size it was on original pour.

S: Great citrusy aroma. Oranges and lemon peel, grapefruit. Excellent noise.

T: Wow. Usually the hops you get in the nose aren't always the hops you get on the tongue. This beer however delivers. Hops stay citrusy. Lemon peel and grapefruit with some subtle hints of the malt backbone. Bitterness is in perfect balance with the hop citrus flavor. Dry finish with the a great warming feeling as it goes down. This is one damn tasting fine AIPA.

M/D: Smooth and velvety, just like the bottle says. A light to medium body. Carbonation is a tad high, but the beer so damn near perfect. Drinkability is almost perfect as well. The 7.25% isn't that high and I could see my self drinking this all night. This is almost certainly the best AIPA I have every had.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

I poured this son of a bitch into a Duvel tulip glass, anticipating that it would be good enough to sit in such a luxurious vessel. This is the first time I've seen Alesmith in these parts (Arcata, California) -- exciting. Ok...

Pours a brilliant, almost glowing amber. Whipped, frothy head, white as cooked egg whites.

Smell: floral and citrus burst of hops upfront (lemon at first, deepening into grapefruit rind, freshly peeled and a little juiced; also some nice, I don't know, rose petal? the hops make a glorious perfume here); the middle and finish bring out some malt sweetness, slight caramel, cotton candy still warm from the cotton candy machine (whatever they call that thing, I don't know).

Taste: deep cut of solid hop force underneath my palate (juicy as hell, citrusy; grapefruit, lemon zest, maybe some tangerine thrown in as well; a fruit salad here!), followed by a sharper bitterness that becomes almost peppery, more mild than black pepper, maybe like the stuff that comes from the can, not freshly ground, but pleasant; the finish brings out a nice sheet of malt sweetness to contrast with the intense hop progression.

Mouthfeel: slick, a little sticky on the roof of my mouth, but no complaints.

Amazing IPA. I hope Alesmith's brews stick around here, and that we receive a wider variety in the future -- the only other Alesmith brew I saw at the store is the pale ale.

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company