2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,614 | Reviews: 1,117 | Show All Ratings:
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.25/5  rDev -47.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

22oz into tumbler. Review from notes.

A- Nice golden color, snowcapped ivory-white head, sticky icky lacing that is pretty thick. Great IPA appearance.

S- Piny hops, a bit of grapefruit. Pine resin is pretty potent.

T- The pine sap is here, but there's a soapy quality to it that just doesn't jive with me. I'm finding it to be a bit sweet, too. Hmm. As I keep drinking, the sugary sweetness becomes oppressive. And what the hell is this soapy taste? No thanks.

M- A bit too sweet, good carbonation though. Decent body.

D- Actually drainpoured this one. The soapy sweetness was not vibing with me at all. Not sure if it was an off-bottle, but it was just not enjoyable. This beer looked and smelled so good and was a huge letdown. Perhaps I'll have to get another bottle. My least favorite Alesmith to date.

07-10-2010 12:20:07 | More by ShogoKawada
HOPOLOGIST

2.83/5  rDev -33.6%

This is no where near my favorite but not my least favorite IPA. I won't go buy it again. Burnt crystal malt is heavy. I'm not sure but I think i'm picking up some hop extract in this one. Whatever it is it is a major turn off. Yeah... San Diego has many more better tasting IPAs than this one. I don't recommend it.

06-22-2009 18:20:51 | More by HOPOLOGIST
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.85/5  rDev -33.1%

Bottle: Poured a deep amber color ale with a huge foamy head with standard retention. Aroma of citrus hops is quite powerful and dominate. Taste is also overpowered by citrus hops with a metallic aftertaste. There is some caramel malt that is discernable though very faint. I’m not sure I see why this is rated so highly. Overall, this beer is one-dimensional and not properly balance.

07-10-2006 14:06:52 | More by Phyl21ca
Halcyondays

2.88/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz. bomber, procured at the BevMo in Cypress, CA,

A: Pours a dark, murky amber, excellent head, though, very creamy and fluffy, leaves excellent lacing in a pint glass.

S: As expected, fragrant hops, with lots of pine and citrus.

T: Upfront, the problem I have with this beer is its alcohol content, the alcohol is too robust for this style, it felt like I was drinking a 10-11% beer instead of 7%, other than that, it's standard IPA, very citrusy, and hoppy.

M: Chewy, resiny, and warming.

D: Drinkability is lowered due to the high alcohol effect. Not a bad beer, I've had this beer several times and it just hasn't impressed me. Which is weird since I've loved the other offerings from Alesmith that I have had, most notably Yulesmith (Both Summer and Winter), and Speedway. The first couple of times that I had had it were bad batches, with almost no carbonation, so I discounted my opinion, and would try again. I've had it about 3 other times since then, including the review beer, and aside from the appearance, it just doesn't do it for me. Go figure, though I recommend, however, that any IPA fan try it, if they can get it, it is certainly well made, just not for me.

08-11-2007 21:00:18 | More by Halcyondays
scottfrie

2.88/5  rDev -32.4%

22oz bottle in New Belgium snifter. No freshness date...

A: Pours a clear golden amber with a huge off-white head that took forever to slowly fade into a thick film with a butte of foam in the center of the glass. Thick lines of lacing were left down the glass.
S: Sweet notes of pine, grapefruit and tropical hops fill my nose. I can detect the sweet undertones of caramel and dried orange peel.
T: A good balance between sweet malt and bitter pine and citrus. Finish is lightly bitter. Notes of tobacco in the aftertaste.
M: Medium body with a clean mouthfeel. Pretty decent amount of carb, but it's soft and smooth.
D: I don't think this bottle is the freshest, but it's still very drinkable. The hops could be fresher. Put bottle dates on the bottles dammit. I'm going to go ahead a slam the smell and taste categories with the number score, but I'll try another bottle at some point that is hopefully fresher. Sure wish they had bottle dates...

12-24-2010 01:19:33 | More by scottfrie
vitALEity

A - very light orange, minimal head and lacing

S - mild citrus and pine - nothing that impressive

T - balanced but very light - not what I really like in a west coast IPA. It needs more of everything. A bit too sweet also.

M - its fine, but like the aroma and taste, nothing great

O - Maybe I have an old bottle? There is no brewed on or best by date. I hate when breweries dont put this crucial info on their bottles. This is a pretty "meh" IPA.

01-30-2013 02:39:30 | More by vitALEity
Philousa

3.03/5  rDev -28.9%

Imbibed at Pacific Beach Tap Room 12/28/11.

Sits an clear golden orange with a half finger head. Very thin, consistent lacing spread across the far side of the glass. Flowery nectar hops, citrus, and a bit of grass bitterness. Biscuity pale malt comes through clear. Very wet hop flavor. Potent grassy ivy, very bitter. Floral characteristics have disappeared completely. Coppery bitterness lingers with the hop oil. Medium body, pretty acidic, and medium finish.

This is bordering on too acidic for me. I might enjoy this one a few beers into the evening, but with a fresh palate it's too harsh. It's too aggressive on the tongue, lashing you for not bowing to it's hoppy glory. I love hoppy IPAs, but this is just a bit too far. It's very harsh, which isn't a bad thing, it's just not my thing. Color and aroma are very good, the flavor just lacks IMHO. Maybe their other beers have raised the bar too much for me though.

12-29-2011 07:23:58 | More by Philousa
pjeagles

New Mexico

3.05/5  rDev -28.4%

I had been waiting for this beer for a couple of years, so maybe that is why I have rated it so low.
I could have gotten this beer through a trade or the net, but my rule is: I have to travel to a place where the beer is sold. I take many road trips and getting the beers I have been waiting to try makes the trip that much more special. I know a lot of you out there feel the same way.
With that being said, this beer was a serious letdown. I guess I was expecting more of a "West Coast IPA" when I tried it, and it never delivered. The smell was neutral. The initial taste was almost burnt malt with a hop bitterness I could only find after I assured myself it MUST be in there somewhere!
There is no malice intended in this review at all. I seriously wanted to love this beer, but I ended up being disappointed. This isn't a bad beer by any means, but stack it up against other IPAs in a BLIND tasting and I'd bet the reviews are way lower.

01-23-2007 05:33:52 | More by pjeagles
PeprSprYoFace

3.15/5  rDev -26.1%

Ok so it is always hard for me to find a fresh bottle of this. I have bought maybe 5 bottles and none were fresh enough IMO to review so now I'm giving up and reviewing what I can get. If this stuff is not comin off the shelves fast enough to be decently fresh then it tells me something as well.

Pours a clear golden color with huge foamy head. It looks like there is a ton of carbonation. Great lacing

Aroma is typical American hops with citrus and pine. Smells ok but not a strong aroma.

Taste is more bitter hops than flavor hops. Not as great as some other IPA's I have had and I think should deserve a spot in the top 100 more than this beer.

Mouthfeel is like champaign carb. Way too much.

Overall it's a good beer and I never see it on tap at the usuall places and if I ever do get some fresh I will re review but it's not worth trading for or purposefully seeking out.

02-23-2010 02:45:10 | More by PeprSprYoFace
claspada

3.15/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours a golden yellow/orange. Very bright and glowing. Nice Duffy white soapy head with spotty lacing.
Aromas are quite dank and resinous; kind of a "hippie" smell if you get my gist. West coast cat pee, a ton of pine needles and bitter grapefruit.
The tastes begin with slight pale malt sweetness but is immediately overpowered with bitter dank resinous hops. Heavy pine and cat pee and bitter grapefruit once again. Kinda one dementional and boring. It's good but not amazing.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is sticky and resinous and bitter. Hops linger on the palate too much for my liking.
Overall this was not stellar in my opinion. Maybe I just don't like regular IPAs anymore, especially onesnthis bitter. I'm guessing they. Used Chinook in this beer which is a hop I detest because of it's high cat pee centric flavors. I will not be revisiting this one anytime soon.

09-02-2011 21:40:48 | More by claspada
SFLpunk

Vermont

3.15/5  rDev -26.1%

Thanks to DarthKostrizer for this one! 22oz brown glass pry-top bottle. No date...why the fuck not? Seriously.

Pours a pleasant golden brown hue, crystal clear with 1.5 inches of frothy off-white head. Nose is full of candied citrus. Smells great! Palate is bitingly bitter up front and through the middle but relaxes on the finish. Flavors of citrus peel are interrupted by amber malt and dried grains plus a little caramel. Flavors are fighting - not unified at all.

Notes: Glad to try it, won't seek it out again. Lost Overall points for no production dating! Going to stick with the dark monsters that these guys brew so well.

09-17-2011 05:33:28 | More by SFLpunk
Avantyawn

First time trying this, 22 ounce bomber

A: Gold, nice frothy head, tons of lacing, looks on par for the style.

S: Pine bomb. All I smell is overwhelming pine and a little sweetness at the close.

T: This is one of the driest beers out there. Puckering dryness, pine tree flavor, sort of like licking a tree. Not very balanced, some sweetness at the close. Not much of a citrus or fruit presence.

M:The dryness is a bit overwhelming , I find it distracting . The water tastes very clean, but too dry for my taste

O: Have to admit I was underwhelmed with this and a bit disappointed stylistically. It's clearly a well crafted beer, but too one dimensionally hoppy and dry for my taste. I prefer Stone or Green Flash for a San Diego IPA fix.

02-29-2012 01:40:51 | More by Avantyawn
starkmarvelo

Alesmith IPA

Pours slightly hazy golden color with very minimal bubbles. Chunky two finger off whit head

Aromas of sticky pine citrus and sweet tropical fruit.

Bunch of hop bitterness throughout with some citrus rind bitterness. Waiting for the fruit notes but never quite make it on the palate. There's something missing. Too hop forward, there's just not a sweet note in it.

Overall- it's okay. I got it in a trade. If I saw it on a shelf I wouldn't buy it.
Just waiting for that extra something at the end that doesn't happen.

10-03-2012 19:56:01 | More by starkmarvelo
harrymel

Washington

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

Looks like I'm ushering this beer into the Beers of Fame list with the 1000th review! Welcome to the club!

Bottled: unk

Pours honey with an etched surface and soapy white rim. Notes of grapefruit, honey, biscuit, resin, peach and a bit of grass; relatively malt forward for a CA IPA. Flavor is sweet and honey like. Not particularly bitter, plenty of lemon and tangerine, but nothing particularly assertive. I think the malts are overpowering in this example, and the bitterness needs a bit of help queuing up. Medium bodied with nice, slightly hi and sharp carb and an off dry finish. Decent beer, and I'd suggest it to an IPA newcomer. I wouldn't suggest it to a tried hop-head. Too much malty sweetness is similar to the 90min IPA.

09-06-2012 06:02:30 | More by harrymel
Dubber55

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured into a Founders snifter- clear light orange with some yellow highlights. 1 finger of white head. Some spotty lacing on the glass

From the initial aroma, this has a signature smell of a West Coast IPA- lots of grapefruit, tangerine, and possibly lime. I am also smelling plenty of pine, fresh cut grass, earthy hops, and alcohol.

Taste follows the smell- plenty of grapefruit, tangerine, some pineapple, pine and resiny hops. Then some sweetness from the malts kicks in, in the form of caramel. The finish is pine and booze. There is also some kind of soapy taste I am getting as well. Not very pleasant.

Medium body. Some light carbonation that tingles the tongue. Maybe a little too much carbonation. Somewhat sticky from the hop oils.

Overall, this beer did not live up to the hype for me. The alcohol and the bitterness are kind of abrasive. For a 7% beer, I did not think the alcohol would be so pronounced. Too much sweetness from the malts for my tastes. There is a combination of sweet, soapy, and alcoholic that is not doing it for me.

05-14-2011 01:26:41 | More by Dubber55
DrunkenPanther

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

The appearance of this brew was a nice dark amber with a great tan head. Had me excited to drink it. Then I took a smell. 150% grapefruit smell. Now I love hops, but this aroma was a bit too powerful.
Well, after the smell, I was expecting a grapefruit taste. I did get a grapefruit taste somewhat, but it was overshadowed by an extreme bitterness. Im talking really bitter. This took away the ability to really taste a whole lot.
In all, this beer isnt bad to have 1, and I did rate it higher than I was originally thinking, but that is because I am thinking that bottle must have been a bit off. I would like to try this again and adjust my review. Said that, as of now, it was way too bitter and grapefruit tasting to want to drink many.

04-22-2004 17:58:34 | More by DrunkenPanther
DrinkThemAll

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass...

A-Pours a slight hazy deep orange with a 2 finger white head that dissipates to little or nothing, lots of carbonation bubbles...

S-Sweet grapefruit floral notes, some hoppy malts and some orange zest, smell refreshing and good...

T-Very dry from front to finish. smooth and balanced but very subtle on any certain flavors...has a decent fruity grapefruit and orange juice taste,an Ok mid malt and dry hops finish, taste like alcoholic orange juice

M-Medium body, medium carbonation, orange malt and dry bitterness

O-Average IPA in my opinion, lacking that certain umph...would drink again if offered but would rather grab a pliny for the price...

07-28-2011 08:16:37 | More by DrinkThemAll
weizenbob

3.28/5  rDev -23%

I received this bomber in a trade with RichBeer. Thanks Rich. Screen-printed bottle with helpful serving instructions (but no bottling date), poured into a pint glass. The pour yields a creamy finger tall head with decent retention. Sticky lacing lines the side of the glass as the head disappears. This is dark for an IPA. If I didn't know what I had been poured I would have thought I was being served an amber. Carbonation is really active as seen through the glass.

The aroma yields piney overtones with grapefruit undertones. Floral hops waft lightly through the nose. There aren't any surprises here but it is strongly aromatic with a good balance of all of the fragrances that you'd expect in any IPA. There's nothing wrong with a textbook IPA done correctly.

Given the beautiful look and spot-on aroma of this beer, the taste is underwhelming. The floral qualities of the hops take first billing and center stage. It's not overbearing though. In fact, it's kind of bland. Mild orange and grapefruit follow the floral character with subtlety. There is a strong maltiness that is seemingly present for balance, but it doesn't add any complimentary flavors, save for the faintest hint of grass and burnt plastic. Alcohol is noticeable toward the end, though it stays pretty well hidden. The whole thing finishes bitterly with a terribly bitter aftertaste that doesn't go away. It's akin to chewing on grapefruit peels.

The mouthfeel is spot on for the style. The beer is medium bodied. The carbonation is appropriate. Well done.

There are so many good things to say about this IPA but when it comes down to it, I didn't find it to be very drinkable. It's beautiful; it feels good in the mouth and I could sit and smell it all day. But of the five senses, the one that a brew really needs to impress is the sense of taste. AleSmith IPA falls flat in that category. The bland flavors and unnecessarily bitter aftertaste literally left a bad taste in my mouth and a bad impression in general. 7.25% ABV tells you that you're not going to drink them all night. In fact, an entire bomber is plenty ambitious. After finishing my pint, I poured the rest, which is something I have only done one other time.

---

The Two Schlitz Scale™: (see my profile for an explanation)
I don't give a Schlitz about this IPA. In fact, I think I'll go for a Schlitz right now.

12-28-2010 18:48:16 | More by weizenbob
Prufrock

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

hazy golden copper with an inch of bubbly white head. foam leaves chunks of lacing.

man, does this one smell great. piney hops and strong citrus in the aroma. touch of floral scents, and a sweet, almost peachy aroma.

taste not as great. has some balance at first; moist feel with a strong carbonation sting. pine is stronger in the flavor than in the aroma. touch of citrus in the taste, but not nearly as strong as in the aroma. any flavors are washed away by a massive, oily hop bitterness that coats the throat. overall the flavors are a bit harsh.

flavor needs a bit more nuance to make this one a top-notch ipa. appearance and aromas are great, but drinkability hurt by the lingering harsh bitterness.

01-15-2006 01:36:02 | More by Prufrock
donkeyrunner

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

A beer in the top 50 that I don't have to send away for and is less than $10 a bottle? Sign me up!

Large, white, craggy head that is almost too big. Mildy hazy amber color.

Acidic pineapple and sharp pine aroma. Taste is sharp citrus rind and snappy light cracker malt--extremely biting. I know IPAs arent's supposed to be balanced, and West Coast ones even less so, but the hops are so sharp and the malt is so weak it's just downrght unpleasant I tell you. Tastes like a homebrew gone centennial crazy. Thin, bottle-conditioned smooth mouthfeel.

11-28-2009 13:40:38 | More by donkeyrunner
Ek0nomik

Wisconsin

Poured In: Snifter
Attained through a trade (Thanks Nick!)

Appearance: A careful pour unleashes a tall frothy head. I have half head and half beer. The beer is an amber and light carrot orange color while the head is a white and creamy color. When held up to the light, as the pour suggested, it's quite effervescent. On par with a Belgian pale ale as far as the carbonation and head is concerned. The lacing is quite nice, with a few very thick sheets trickling down into the beer. The lacing seems to be mostly from the aggressive head on the pour, but once the head disappears there isn't enough sugars to make it stick against the glass.

Smell: The nose has this sweet candy and cake like aroma to it. I had the YuleSmith Winter last night, and upon cracking it I noticed this very different sweet candy aroma. That same aroma is pleasant here, but I'm hoping this beer is much more drinkable. Beyond the sweetness sits some hop aromas including a little bit of pine and mango.

Taste: The palate picks up pale malt right off the bat. The malt flavor sits on the palate for a bit, and then comes some hop bitterness and flavor. The hop flavor is a mixture of grass, pine and orange peel. Once some oxidation occurs inside my mouth a nice soft grapefruit flavor comes out.

Mouthfeel: A bit harsh on the palate at first because of the carbonation. The body of the beer is medium, and it goes down the throat with ease. After each sip there are some oils coating my teeth which is pleasant as well.

Drinkability: This isn't a terrible beer, although I was really hoping for a bit more. It becomes much, much better as it warms up and some of the carbonation dies off. The hop profile is rather hidden until it warms up. This isn't something I'd pick up again. Much better IPA's are scattered throughout the country.

01-02-2010 02:03:52 | More by Ek0nomik
BucannonXC5

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured from a draft into a pint glass at Vine Cottage in La Mesa, Calif. Color was honey pale, kind of light. Light head once I got it, maybe ½ inches. Light bubbly lacing on the top. Circular white film on the sides.

Smelled citrus hops up front. Fairly hoppy. Main citrus notes were orange and tangerines.

Didn’t taste too much like the nose. Very bitter in the beginning. Grainy and earthy.

Medium body. Thick grainy texture. Average-to-above average (lively) carbonation. Bitter finish.

Not a bad beer, but a bit disappointing considering the look and smell. I thought about going higher on the sight, which may have led me to give it an overall rating of a 3.5.

01-29-2012 03:57:51 | More by BucannonXC5
FishGetter

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

Darker amber color with loads of streaming bubbles. Half inch frothy head.
Not a real fregrant nose. Some sweet malts with very mild citrus hops. Somewhat bready nose captured for the most part.
After breaking through a frothy head, a melow cirtus hop flavor. Some sweetend barly breaks through with a semi-spicy alchol burn to finish.
Almost a medium body with sticky oily resins left in the mouth. Remains on tounge with alchol.
Respectable but not very impressive by a west coast IPA. Was very excited to see it back on the shelfs after what I was told to be "distrbution problem". Freshness is suspect here but really feels like lighting a firecracker and finding out its a dud.

12-11-2009 19:46:37 | More by FishGetter
david18

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

I bought a bottle of this at a grocery store on a recent visit to San Francisco. Poured it into a stemmed glass the day I bought it. Overall this is one of the most hoppy beers I've had. Maybe even more hoppy than the Pliny.

A deep orange color with a medium size head. Aroma is very hoppy, with a strong citrus and some pine as well Flavor as well had a very strong hop presence, mostly citrus and not as well balanced as I would have liked it to be. I'll give this beer another chance but it was not my favorite IPA.

01-03-2011 22:27:21 | More by david18
joepais

Maine

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

I Poured the bottle into a Imp pint glass and was greeted with a two finger cream colored heat that laced out well. The body of the brew was a hazy orange in color. The aromas of fresh oranges and grapefruits filled my head.
Flavor wise the brew leans more towards the hops than Malts which is what I expect from a Ca. IPA, but there was some malts so it was not what I consider a hop bomb. It was a good IPA. I don't know what the hype was all about. I had a rather fresh bottle and shipped in the winter so I would think it was a good one. Don't get me wrong I would drink it again I went down great but it was a rather average IPA to me

01-22-2011 18:30:30 | More by joepais