AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,374 | Reviews: 1,195
2.38/5  rDev -44%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

22oz into tumbler. Review from notes.

A- Nice golden color, snowcapped ivory-white head, sticky icky lacing that is pretty thick. Great IPA appearance.

S- Piny hops, a bit of grapefruit. Pine resin is pretty potent.

T- The pine sap is here, but there's a soapy quality to it that just doesn't jive with me. I'm finding it to be a bit sweet, too. Hmm. As I keep drinking, the sugary sweetness becomes oppressive. And what the hell is this soapy taste? No thanks.

M- A bit too sweet, good carbonation though. Decent body.

D- Actually drainpoured this one. The soapy sweetness was not vibing with me at all. Not sure if it was an off-bottle, but it was just not enjoyable. This beer looked and smelled so good and was a huge letdown. Perhaps I'll have to get another bottle. My least favorite Alesmith to date.

2.4/5  rDev -43.5%

Says a review is optional, it is not

2.75/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

(bottle, 22oz) Good at first, but one dimensional (2/8/15)

2.83/5  rDev -33.4%

Bottle: Poured a deep amber color ale with a huge foamy head with standard retention. Aroma of citrus hops is quite powerful and dominate. Taste is also overpowered by citrus hops with a metallic aftertaste. There is some caramel malt that is discernable though very faint. I’m not sure I see why this is rated so highly. Overall, this beer is one-dimensional and not properly balance.

2.85/5  rDev -32.9%

This is no where near my favorite but not my least favorite IPA. I won't go buy it again. Burnt crystal malt is heavy. I'm not sure but I think i'm picking up some hop extract in this one. Whatever it is it is a major turn off. Yeah... San Diego has many more better tasting IPAs than this one. I don't recommend it.

2.9/5  rDev -31.8%

22oz bottle in New Belgium snifter. No freshness date...

A: Pours a clear golden amber with a huge off-white head that took forever to slowly fade into a thick film with a butte of foam in the center of the glass. Thick lines of lacing were left down the glass.
S: Sweet notes of pine, grapefruit and tropical hops fill my nose. I can detect the sweet undertones of caramel and dried orange peel.
T: A good balance between sweet malt and bitter pine and citrus. Finish is lightly bitter. Notes of tobacco in the aftertaste.
M: Medium body with a clean mouthfeel. Pretty decent amount of carb, but it's soft and smooth.
D: I don't think this bottle is the freshest, but it's still very drinkable. The hops could be fresher. Put bottle dates on the bottles dammit. I'm going to go ahead a slam the smell and taste categories with the number score, but I'll try another bottle at some point that is hopefully fresher. Sure wish they had bottle dates...

2.93/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz. bomber, procured at the BevMo in Cypress, CA,

A: Pours a dark, murky amber, excellent head, though, very creamy and fluffy, leaves excellent lacing in a pint glass.

S: As expected, fragrant hops, with lots of pine and citrus.

T: Upfront, the problem I have with this beer is its alcohol content, the alcohol is too robust for this style, it felt like I was drinking a 10-11% beer instead of 7%, other than that, it's standard IPA, very citrusy, and hoppy.

M: Chewy, resiny, and warming.

D: Drinkability is lowered due to the high alcohol effect. Not a bad beer, I've had this beer several times and it just hasn't impressed me. Which is weird since I've loved the other offerings from Alesmith that I have had, most notably Yulesmith (Both Summer and Winter), and Speedway. The first couple of times that I had had it were bad batches, with almost no carbonation, so I discounted my opinion, and would try again. I've had it about 3 other times since then, including the review beer, and aside from the appearance, it just doesn't do it for me. Go figure, though I recommend, however, that any IPA fan try it, if they can get it, it is certainly well made, just not for me.

A - very light orange, minimal head and lacing

S - mild citrus and pine - nothing that impressive

T - balanced but very light - not what I really like in a west coast IPA. It needs more of everything. A bit too sweet also.

M - its fine, but like the aroma and taste, nothing great

O - Maybe I have an old bottle? There is no brewed on or best by date. I hate when breweries dont put this crucial info on their bottles. This is a pretty "meh" IPA.

3.06/5  rDev -28%

I had been waiting for this beer for a couple of years, so maybe that is why I have rated it so low.
I could have gotten this beer through a trade or the net, but my rule is: I have to travel to a place where the beer is sold. I take many road trips and getting the beers I have been waiting to try makes the trip that much more special. I know a lot of you out there feel the same way.
With that being said, this beer was a serious letdown. I guess I was expecting more of a "West Coast IPA" when I tried it, and it never delivered. The smell was neutral. The initial taste was almost burnt malt with a hop bitterness I could only find after I assured myself it MUST be in there somewhere!
There is no malice intended in this review at all. I seriously wanted to love this beer, but I ended up being disappointed. This isn't a bad beer by any means, but stack it up against other IPAs in a BLIND tasting and I'd bet the reviews are way lower.

3.1/5  rDev -27.1%

Imbibed at Pacific Beach Tap Room 12/28/11.

Sits an clear golden orange with a half finger head. Very thin, consistent lacing spread across the far side of the glass. Flowery nectar hops, citrus, and a bit of grass bitterness. Biscuity pale malt comes through clear. Very wet hop flavor. Potent grassy ivy, very bitter. Floral characteristics have disappeared completely. Coppery bitterness lingers with the hop oil. Medium body, pretty acidic, and medium finish.

This is bordering on too acidic for me. I might enjoy this one a few beers into the evening, but with a fresh palate it's too harsh. It's too aggressive on the tongue, lashing you for not bowing to it's hoppy glory. I love hoppy IPAs, but this is just a bit too far. It's very harsh, which isn't a bad thing, it's just not my thing. Color and aroma are very good, the flavor just lacks IMHO. Maybe their other beers have raised the bar too much for me though.

3.16/5  rDev -25.6%

Ok so it is always hard for me to find a fresh bottle of this. I have bought maybe 5 bottles and none were fresh enough IMO to review so now I'm giving up and reviewing what I can get. If this stuff is not comin off the shelves fast enough to be decently fresh then it tells me something as well.

Pours a clear golden color with huge foamy head. It looks like there is a ton of carbonation. Great lacing

Aroma is typical American hops with citrus and pine. Smells ok but not a strong aroma.

Taste is more bitter hops than flavor hops. Not as great as some other IPA's I have had and I think should deserve a spot in the top 100 more than this beer.

Mouthfeel is like champaign carb. Way too much.

Overall it's a good beer and I never see it on tap at the usuall places and if I ever do get some fresh I will re review but it's not worth trading for or purposefully seeking out.

3.18/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a golden yellow/orange. Very bright and glowing. Nice Duffy white soapy head with spotty lacing.
Aromas are quite dank and resinous; kind of a "hippie" smell if you get my gist. West coast cat pee, a ton of pine needles and bitter grapefruit.
The tastes begin with slight pale malt sweetness but is immediately overpowered with bitter dank resinous hops. Heavy pine and cat pee and bitter grapefruit once again. Kinda one dementional and boring. It's good but not amazing.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is sticky and resinous and bitter. Hops linger on the palate too much for my liking.
Overall this was not stellar in my opinion. Maybe I just don't like regular IPAs anymore, especially onesnthis bitter. I'm guessing they. Used Chinook in this beer which is a hop I detest because of it's high cat pee centric flavors. I will not be revisiting this one anytime soon.

3.18/5  rDev -25.2%

Looks like I'm ushering this beer into the Beers of Fame list with the 1000th review! Welcome to the club!

Bottled: unk

Pours honey with an etched surface and soapy white rim. Notes of grapefruit, honey, biscuit, resin, peach and a bit of grass; relatively malt forward for a CA IPA. Flavor is sweet and honey like. Not particularly bitter, plenty of lemon and tangerine, but nothing particularly assertive. I think the malts are overpowering in this example, and the bitterness needs a bit of help queuing up. Medium bodied with nice, slightly hi and sharp carb and an off dry finish. Decent beer, and I'd suggest it to an IPA newcomer. I wouldn't suggest it to a tried hop-head. Too much malty sweetness is similar to the 90min IPA.

First time trying this, 22 ounce bomber

A: Gold, nice frothy head, tons of lacing, looks on par for the style.

S: Pine bomb. All I smell is overwhelming pine and a little sweetness at the close.

T: This is one of the driest beers out there. Puckering dryness, pine tree flavor, sort of like licking a tree. Not very balanced, some sweetness at the close. Not much of a citrus or fruit presence.

M:The dryness is a bit overwhelming , I find it distracting . The water tastes very clean, but too dry for my taste

O: Have to admit I was underwhelmed with this and a bit disappointed stylistically. It's clearly a well crafted beer, but too one dimensionally hoppy and dry for my taste. I prefer Stone or Green Flash for a San Diego IPA fix.

Alesmith IPA

Pours slightly hazy golden color with very minimal bubbles. Chunky two finger off whit head

Aromas of sticky pine citrus and sweet tropical fruit.

Bunch of hop bitterness throughout with some citrus rind bitterness. Waiting for the fruit notes but never quite make it on the palate. There's something missing. Too hop forward, there's just not a sweet note in it.

Overall- it's okay. I got it in a trade. If I saw it on a shelf I wouldn't buy it.
Just waiting for that extra something at the end that doesn't happen.

3.18/5  rDev -25.2%

Thanks to DarthKostrizer for this one! 22oz brown glass pry-top bottle. No date...why the fuck not? Seriously.

Pours a pleasant golden brown hue, crystal clear with 1.5 inches of frothy off-white head. Nose is full of candied citrus. Smells great! Palate is bitingly bitter up front and through the middle but relaxes on the finish. Flavors of citrus peel are interrupted by amber malt and dried grains plus a little caramel. Flavors are fighting - not unified at all.

Notes: Glad to try it, won't seek it out again. Lost Overall points for no production dating! Going to stick with the dark monsters that these guys brew so well.

3.23/5  rDev -24%

Poured into a Founders snifter- clear light orange with some yellow highlights. 1 finger of white head. Some spotty lacing on the glass

From the initial aroma, this has a signature smell of a West Coast IPA- lots of grapefruit, tangerine, and possibly lime. I am also smelling plenty of pine, fresh cut grass, earthy hops, and alcohol.

Taste follows the smell- plenty of grapefruit, tangerine, some pineapple, pine and resiny hops. Then some sweetness from the malts kicks in, in the form of caramel. The finish is pine and booze. There is also some kind of soapy taste I am getting as well. Not very pleasant.

Medium body. Some light carbonation that tingles the tongue. Maybe a little too much carbonation. Somewhat sticky from the hop oils.

Overall, this beer did not live up to the hype for me. The alcohol and the bitterness are kind of abrasive. For a 7% beer, I did not think the alcohol would be so pronounced. Too much sweetness from the malts for my tastes. There is a combination of sweet, soapy, and alcoholic that is not doing it for me.

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a clear copper with two fingers of cream-colored head that fades into a nice cap with good lacing.

S: Oranges and grapefruit followed by dry, resinous pine aromas.

T: follows the nose. The finish is moderately bitter.

M: Medium body with mid-high carbonation

O: An IPA, overall. I'd like maybe a little less bitterness but that's my preference

3.26/5  rDev -23.3%

The appearance of this brew was a nice dark amber with a great tan head. Had me excited to drink it. Then I took a smell. 150% grapefruit smell. Now I love hops, but this aroma was a bit too powerful.
Well, after the smell, I was expecting a grapefruit taste. I did get a grapefruit taste somewhat, but it was overshadowed by an extreme bitterness. Im talking really bitter. This took away the ability to really taste a whole lot.
In all, this beer isnt bad to have 1, and I did rate it higher than I was originally thinking, but that is because I am thinking that bottle must have been a bit off. I would like to try this again and adjust my review. Said that, as of now, it was way too bitter and grapefruit tasting to want to drink many.

3.3/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed it. Above average, but I didn't experience anything deserving of high ratings.

3.3/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass...

A-Pours a slight hazy deep orange with a 2 finger white head that dissipates to little or nothing, lots of carbonation bubbles...

S-Sweet grapefruit floral notes, some hoppy malts and some orange zest, smell refreshing and good...

T-Very dry from front to finish. smooth and balanced but very subtle on any certain flavors...has a decent fruity grapefruit and orange juice taste,an Ok mid malt and dry hops finish, taste like alcoholic orange juice

M-Medium body, medium carbonation, orange malt and dry bitterness

O-Average IPA in my opinion, lacking that certain umph...would drink again if offered but would rather grab a pliny for the price...

3.32/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured In: Snifter
Attained through a trade (Thanks Nick!)

Appearance: A careful pour unleashes a tall frothy head. I have half head and half beer. The beer is an amber and light carrot orange color while the head is a white and creamy color. When held up to the light, as the pour suggested, it's quite effervescent. On par with a Belgian pale ale as far as the carbonation and head is concerned. The lacing is quite nice, with a few very thick sheets trickling down into the beer. The lacing seems to be mostly from the aggressive head on the pour, but once the head disappears there isn't enough sugars to make it stick against the glass.

Smell: The nose has this sweet candy and cake like aroma to it. I had the YuleSmith Winter last night, and upon cracking it I noticed this very different sweet candy aroma. That same aroma is pleasant here, but I'm hoping this beer is much more drinkable. Beyond the sweetness sits some hop aromas including a little bit of pine and mango.

Taste: The palate picks up pale malt right off the bat. The malt flavor sits on the palate for a bit, and then comes some hop bitterness and flavor. The hop flavor is a mixture of grass, pine and orange peel. Once some oxidation occurs inside my mouth a nice soft grapefruit flavor comes out.

Mouthfeel: A bit harsh on the palate at first because of the carbonation. The body of the beer is medium, and it goes down the throat with ease. After each sip there are some oils coating my teeth which is pleasant as well.

Drinkability: This isn't a terrible beer, although I was really hoping for a bit more. It becomes much, much better as it warms up and some of the carbonation dies off. The hop profile is rather hidden until it warms up. This isn't something I'd pick up again. Much better IPA's are scattered throughout the country.

3.34/5  rDev -21.4%

Appearance: translucent; burnt orange/auburn; slight bubbles
Aroma: Apricot; Malty/Earthy, No citrus. Not the most pleasant, actually. Somewhat like a lingering, unidentifiable food smell...then again, I am an IPA newbie.
Flavor: Strong malt base, accentuated by flow of hops..smoothing out/teasing out the sweeter malt flavor. Dry finish
Mouth feel:Bitterness in hops looses poignancy (a nice adjustment); relaxes over time.
Drinkability: Eases over time, a bit too bitter at first. Also, not terribly refreshing. Not my choice for a summer afternoon.

3.35/5  rDev -21.2%

I received this bomber in a trade with RichBeer. Thanks Rich. Screen-printed bottle with helpful serving instructions (but no bottling date), poured into a pint glass. The pour yields a creamy finger tall head with decent retention. Sticky lacing lines the side of the glass as the head disappears. This is dark for an IPA. If I didn't know what I had been poured I would have thought I was being served an amber. Carbonation is really active as seen through the glass.

The aroma yields piney overtones with grapefruit undertones. Floral hops waft lightly through the nose. There aren't any surprises here but it is strongly aromatic with a good balance of all of the fragrances that you'd expect in any IPA. There's nothing wrong with a textbook IPA done correctly.

Given the beautiful look and spot-on aroma of this beer, the taste is underwhelming. The floral qualities of the hops take first billing and center stage. It's not overbearing though. In fact, it's kind of bland. Mild orange and grapefruit follow the floral character with subtlety. There is a strong maltiness that is seemingly present for balance, but it doesn't add any complimentary flavors, save for the faintest hint of grass and burnt plastic. Alcohol is noticeable toward the end, though it stays pretty well hidden. The whole thing finishes bitterly with a terribly bitter aftertaste that doesn't go away. It's akin to chewing on grapefruit peels.

The mouthfeel is spot on for the style. The beer is medium bodied. The carbonation is appropriate. Well done.

There are so many good things to say about this IPA but when it comes down to it, I didn't find it to be very drinkable. It's beautiful; it feels good in the mouth and I could sit and smell it all day. But of the five senses, the one that a brew really needs to impress is the sense of taste. AleSmith IPA falls flat in that category. The bland flavors and unnecessarily bitter aftertaste literally left a bad taste in my mouth and a bad impression in general. 7.25% ABV tells you that you're not going to drink them all night. In fact, an entire bomber is plenty ambitious. After finishing my pint, I poured the rest, which is something I have only done one other time.

---

The Two Schlitz Scale™: (see my profile for an explanation)
I don't give a Schlitz about this IPA. In fact, I think I'll go for a Schlitz right now.

3.37/5  rDev -20.7%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a N'Ice Chouffe beer flute in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are quite high given the brewery. Cost was 5.49 USD in Orange County, California. No best before date, but this one is at least three weeks old (based on date of purchase). I know it'd be better fresh, but I do what I can. Paired with microwaved pizza (I'm a uni student!). Four weeks old.

*I've also gotten this at Trader Joe's for $4.99.

Served cold. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two and a half finger head of light but nice cream lacing, fair thickness, and good retention - especially for the relatively high ABV. Colour is a transparent copper-gold. It's a bit generic, but appealing nonetheless.

Sm: Pleasantly enticingly hoppy, but I worry it will be too bitter (as many IPAs tend to be). A mild strength aroma. Nice rounded floral hop character. Some zest grapefruit citrus. Pale malts. A clean aroma of mild to moderate strength. No yeast or alcohol is detectable. Unfortunately, it does flirt with soapy notes.

T: A pleasant hoppy body, without hardly any bitterness on the finish or climax. It's hard to believe. A brewer that understands an IPA is about balance, not hop quantity? Imagine that! It's very well done, with near perfect balance of hops over an unobtrusive pale malt foundation. I really like this IPA. It's simple, but damned refreshing. That said, it does approach soapiness. Light pine. Very clean. No real subtlety here.

Mf: Amazingly, delightfully smooth and wet, suiting the flavours of the body near perfectly. Very well executed. Good thickness and body. Refreshing. Good presence on the palate. Soft.

Dr: Incredibly drinkable, especially for the style. The alcohol never comes through in spite of being of above average quantity. It's a lovely IPA. Price point is great as well. I'd get this again. *In fact I have, since. Another quality brew from Alesmith.

Pairs well with food (especially spicy food).

B-