AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith IPA Alström Bros

2.24/5  rDev -47.3%

2.25/5  rDev -47.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

22oz into tumbler. Review from notes.

A- Nice golden color, snowcapped ivory-white head, sticky icky lacing that is pretty thick. Great IPA appearance.

S- Piny hops, a bit of grapefruit. Pine resin is pretty potent.

T- The pine sap is here, but there's a soapy quality to it that just doesn't jive with me. I'm finding it to be a bit sweet, too. Hmm. As I keep drinking, the sugary sweetness becomes oppressive. And what the hell is this soapy taste? No thanks.

M- A bit too sweet, good carbonation though. Decent body.

D- Actually drainpoured this one. The soapy sweetness was not vibing with me at all. Not sure if it was an off-bottle, but it was just not enjoyable. This beer looked and smelled so good and was a huge letdown. Perhaps I'll have to get another bottle. My least favorite Alesmith to date.

2.5/5  rDev -41.2%

2.5/5  rDev -41.2%

2.83/5  rDev -33.4%

This is no where near my favorite but not my least favorite IPA. I won't go buy it again. Burnt crystal malt is heavy. I'm not sure but I think i'm picking up some hop extract in this one. Whatever it is it is a major turn off. Yeah... San Diego has many more better tasting IPAs than this one. I don't recommend it.

2.85/5  rDev -32.9%

Bottle: Poured a deep amber color ale with a huge foamy head with standard retention. Aroma of citrus hops is quite powerful and dominate. Taste is also overpowered by citrus hops with a metallic aftertaste. There is some caramel malt that is discernable though very faint. I’m not sure I see why this is rated so highly. Overall, this beer is one-dimensional and not properly balance.

2.88/5  rDev -32.2%

22oz bottle in New Belgium snifter. No freshness date...

A: Pours a clear golden amber with a huge off-white head that took forever to slowly fade into a thick film with a butte of foam in the center of the glass. Thick lines of lacing were left down the glass.
S: Sweet notes of pine, grapefruit and tropical hops fill my nose. I can detect the sweet undertones of caramel and dried orange peel.
T: A good balance between sweet malt and bitter pine and citrus. Finish is lightly bitter. Notes of tobacco in the aftertaste.
M: Medium body with a clean mouthfeel. Pretty decent amount of carb, but it's soft and smooth.
D: I don't think this bottle is the freshest, but it's still very drinkable. The hops could be fresher. Put bottle dates on the bottles dammit. I'm going to go ahead a slam the smell and taste categories with the number score, but I'll try another bottle at some point that is hopefully fresher. Sure wish they had bottle dates...

2.88/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz. bomber, procured at the BevMo in Cypress, CA,

A: Pours a dark, murky amber, excellent head, though, very creamy and fluffy, leaves excellent lacing in a pint glass.

S: As expected, fragrant hops, with lots of pine and citrus.

T: Upfront, the problem I have with this beer is its alcohol content, the alcohol is too robust for this style, it felt like I was drinking a 10-11% beer instead of 7%, other than that, it's standard IPA, very citrusy, and hoppy.

M: Chewy, resiny, and warming.

D: Drinkability is lowered due to the high alcohol effect. Not a bad beer, I've had this beer several times and it just hasn't impressed me. Which is weird since I've loved the other offerings from Alesmith that I have had, most notably Yulesmith (Both Summer and Winter), and Speedway. The first couple of times that I had had it were bad batches, with almost no carbonation, so I discounted my opinion, and would try again. I've had it about 3 other times since then, including the review beer, and aside from the appearance, it just doesn't do it for me. Go figure, though I recommend, however, that any IPA fan try it, if they can get it, it is certainly well made, just not for me.

A - very light orange, minimal head and lacing

S - mild citrus and pine - nothing that impressive

T - balanced but very light - not what I really like in a west coast IPA. It needs more of everything. A bit too sweet also.

M - its fine, but like the aroma and taste, nothing great

O - Maybe I have an old bottle? There is no brewed on or best by date. I hate when breweries dont put this crucial info on their bottles. This is a pretty "meh" IPA.

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company