AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith IPA Alström Bros

3.03/5  rDev -28.7%

Imbibed at Pacific Beach Tap Room 12/28/11.

Sits an clear golden orange with a half finger head. Very thin, consistent lacing spread across the far side of the glass. Flowery nectar hops, citrus, and a bit of grass bitterness. Biscuity pale malt comes through clear. Very wet hop flavor. Potent grassy ivy, very bitter. Floral characteristics have disappeared completely. Coppery bitterness lingers with the hop oil. Medium body, pretty acidic, and medium finish.

This is bordering on too acidic for me. I might enjoy this one a few beers into the evening, but with a fresh palate it's too harsh. It's too aggressive on the tongue, lashing you for not bowing to it's hoppy glory. I love hoppy IPAs, but this is just a bit too far. It's very harsh, which isn't a bad thing, it's just not my thing. Color and aroma are very good, the flavor just lacks IMHO. Maybe their other beers have raised the bar too much for me though.

3.04/5  rDev -28.5%

3.05/5  rDev -28.2%

I had been waiting for this beer for a couple of years, so maybe that is why I have rated it so low.
I could have gotten this beer through a trade or the net, but my rule is: I have to travel to a place where the beer is sold. I take many road trips and getting the beers I have been waiting to try makes the trip that much more special. I know a lot of you out there feel the same way.
With that being said, this beer was a serious letdown. I guess I was expecting more of a "West Coast IPA" when I tried it, and it never delivered. The smell was neutral. The initial taste was almost burnt malt with a hop bitterness I could only find after I assured myself it MUST be in there somewhere!
There is no malice intended in this review at all. I seriously wanted to love this beer, but I ended up being disappointed. This isn't a bad beer by any means, but stack it up against other IPAs in a BLIND tasting and I'd bet the reviews are way lower.

3.15/5  rDev -25.9%

Ok so it is always hard for me to find a fresh bottle of this. I have bought maybe 5 bottles and none were fresh enough IMO to review so now I'm giving up and reviewing what I can get. If this stuff is not comin off the shelves fast enough to be decently fresh then it tells me something as well.

Pours a clear golden color with huge foamy head. It looks like there is a ton of carbonation. Great lacing

Aroma is typical American hops with citrus and pine. Smells ok but not a strong aroma.

Taste is more bitter hops than flavor hops. Not as great as some other IPA's I have had and I think should deserve a spot in the top 100 more than this beer.

Mouthfeel is like champaign carb. Way too much.

Overall it's a good beer and I never see it on tap at the usuall places and if I ever do get some fresh I will re review but it's not worth trading for or purposefully seeking out.

3.15/5  rDev -25.9%

Pours a golden yellow/orange. Very bright and glowing. Nice Duffy white soapy head with spotty lacing.
Aromas are quite dank and resinous; kind of a "hippie" smell if you get my gist. West coast cat pee, a ton of pine needles and bitter grapefruit.
The tastes begin with slight pale malt sweetness but is immediately overpowered with bitter dank resinous hops. Heavy pine and cat pee and bitter grapefruit once again. Kinda one dementional and boring. It's good but not amazing.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is sticky and resinous and bitter. Hops linger on the palate too much for my liking.
Overall this was not stellar in my opinion. Maybe I just don't like regular IPAs anymore, especially onesnthis bitter. I'm guessing they. Used Chinook in this beer which is a hop I detest because of it's high cat pee centric flavors. I will not be revisiting this one anytime soon.

First time trying this, 22 ounce bomber

A: Gold, nice frothy head, tons of lacing, looks on par for the style.

S: Pine bomb. All I smell is overwhelming pine and a little sweetness at the close.

T: This is one of the driest beers out there. Puckering dryness, pine tree flavor, sort of like licking a tree. Not very balanced, some sweetness at the close. Not much of a citrus or fruit presence.

M:The dryness is a bit overwhelming , I find it distracting . The water tastes very clean, but too dry for my taste

O: Have to admit I was underwhelmed with this and a bit disappointed stylistically. It's clearly a well crafted beer, but too one dimensionally hoppy and dry for my taste. I prefer Stone or Green Flash for a San Diego IPA fix.

Alesmith IPA

Pours slightly hazy golden color with very minimal bubbles. Chunky two finger off whit head

Aromas of sticky pine citrus and sweet tropical fruit.

Bunch of hop bitterness throughout with some citrus rind bitterness. Waiting for the fruit notes but never quite make it on the palate. There's something missing. Too hop forward, there's just not a sweet note in it.

Overall- it's okay. I got it in a trade. If I saw it on a shelf I wouldn't buy it.
Just waiting for that extra something at the end that doesn't happen.

3.15/5  rDev -25.9%

Thanks to DarthKostrizer for this one! 22oz brown glass pry-top bottle. No date...why the fuck not? Seriously.

Pours a pleasant golden brown hue, crystal clear with 1.5 inches of frothy off-white head. Nose is full of candied citrus. Smells great! Palate is bitingly bitter up front and through the middle but relaxes on the finish. Flavors of citrus peel are interrupted by amber malt and dried grains plus a little caramel. Flavors are fighting - not unified at all.

Notes: Glad to try it, won't seek it out again. Lost Overall points for no production dating! Going to stick with the dark monsters that these guys brew so well.

3.18/5  rDev -25.2%

Looks like I'm ushering this beer into the Beers of Fame list with the 1000th review! Welcome to the club!

Bottled: unk

Pours honey with an etched surface and soapy white rim. Notes of grapefruit, honey, biscuit, resin, peach and a bit of grass; relatively malt forward for a CA IPA. Flavor is sweet and honey like. Not particularly bitter, plenty of lemon and tangerine, but nothing particularly assertive. I think the malts are overpowering in this example, and the bitterness needs a bit of help queuing up. Medium bodied with nice, slightly hi and sharp carb and an off dry finish. Decent beer, and I'd suggest it to an IPA newcomer. I wouldn't suggest it to a tried hop-head. Too much malty sweetness is similar to the 90min IPA.

3.2/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured into a Founders snifter- clear light orange with some yellow highlights. 1 finger of white head. Some spotty lacing on the glass

From the initial aroma, this has a signature smell of a West Coast IPA- lots of grapefruit, tangerine, and possibly lime. I am also smelling plenty of pine, fresh cut grass, earthy hops, and alcohol.

Taste follows the smell- plenty of grapefruit, tangerine, some pineapple, pine and resiny hops. Then some sweetness from the malts kicks in, in the form of caramel. The finish is pine and booze. There is also some kind of soapy taste I am getting as well. Not very pleasant.

Medium body. Some light carbonation that tingles the tongue. Maybe a little too much carbonation. Somewhat sticky from the hop oils.

Overall, this beer did not live up to the hype for me. The alcohol and the bitterness are kind of abrasive. For a 7% beer, I did not think the alcohol would be so pronounced. Too much sweetness from the malts for my tastes. There is a combination of sweet, soapy, and alcoholic that is not doing it for me.

3.23/5  rDev -24%

The appearance of this brew was a nice dark amber with a great tan head. Had me excited to drink it. Then I took a smell. 150% grapefruit smell. Now I love hops, but this aroma was a bit too powerful.
Well, after the smell, I was expecting a grapefruit taste. I did get a grapefruit taste somewhat, but it was overshadowed by an extreme bitterness. Im talking really bitter. This took away the ability to really taste a whole lot.
In all, this beer isnt bad to have 1, and I did rate it higher than I was originally thinking, but that is because I am thinking that bottle must have been a bit off. I would like to try this again and adjust my review. Said that, as of now, it was way too bitter and grapefruit tasting to want to drink many.

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass...

A-Pours a slight hazy deep orange with a 2 finger white head that dissipates to little or nothing, lots of carbonation bubbles...

S-Sweet grapefruit floral notes, some hoppy malts and some orange zest, smell refreshing and good...

T-Very dry from front to finish. smooth and balanced but very subtle on any certain flavors...has a decent fruity grapefruit and orange juice taste,an Ok mid malt and dry hops finish, taste like alcoholic orange juice

M-Medium body, medium carbonation, orange malt and dry bitterness

O-Average IPA in my opinion, lacking that certain umph...would drink again if offered but would rather grab a pliny for the price...

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company