AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith IPA Alström Bros

3.26/5  rDev -23.3%

The appearance of this brew was a nice dark amber with a great tan head. Had me excited to drink it. Then I took a smell. 150% grapefruit smell. Now I love hops, but this aroma was a bit too powerful.
Well, after the smell, I was expecting a grapefruit taste. I did get a grapefruit taste somewhat, but it was overshadowed by an extreme bitterness. Im talking really bitter. This took away the ability to really taste a whole lot.
In all, this beer isnt bad to have 1, and I did rate it higher than I was originally thinking, but that is because I am thinking that bottle must have been a bit off. I would like to try this again and adjust my review. Said that, as of now, it was way too bitter and grapefruit tasting to want to drink many.

3.28/5  rDev -22.8%

3.3/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass...

A-Pours a slight hazy deep orange with a 2 finger white head that dissipates to little or nothing, lots of carbonation bubbles...

S-Sweet grapefruit floral notes, some hoppy malts and some orange zest, smell refreshing and good...

T-Very dry from front to finish. smooth and balanced but very subtle on any certain flavors...has a decent fruity grapefruit and orange juice taste,an Ok mid malt and dry hops finish, taste like alcoholic orange juice

M-Medium body, medium carbonation, orange malt and dry bitterness

O-Average IPA in my opinion, lacking that certain umph...would drink again if offered but would rather grab a pliny for the price...

3.32/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured In: Snifter
Attained through a trade (Thanks Nick!)

Appearance: A careful pour unleashes a tall frothy head. I have half head and half beer. The beer is an amber and light carrot orange color while the head is a white and creamy color. When held up to the light, as the pour suggested, it's quite effervescent. On par with a Belgian pale ale as far as the carbonation and head is concerned. The lacing is quite nice, with a few very thick sheets trickling down into the beer. The lacing seems to be mostly from the aggressive head on the pour, but once the head disappears there isn't enough sugars to make it stick against the glass.

Smell: The nose has this sweet candy and cake like aroma to it. I had the YuleSmith Winter last night, and upon cracking it I noticed this very different sweet candy aroma. That same aroma is pleasant here, but I'm hoping this beer is much more drinkable. Beyond the sweetness sits some hop aromas including a little bit of pine and mango.

Taste: The palate picks up pale malt right off the bat. The malt flavor sits on the palate for a bit, and then comes some hop bitterness and flavor. The hop flavor is a mixture of grass, pine and orange peel. Once some oxidation occurs inside my mouth a nice soft grapefruit flavor comes out.

Mouthfeel: A bit harsh on the palate at first because of the carbonation. The body of the beer is medium, and it goes down the throat with ease. After each sip there are some oils coating my teeth which is pleasant as well.

Drinkability: This isn't a terrible beer, although I was really hoping for a bit more. It becomes much, much better as it warms up and some of the carbonation dies off. The hop profile is rather hidden until it warms up. This isn't something I'd pick up again. Much better IPA's are scattered throughout the country.

3.34/5  rDev -21.4%

Appearance: translucent; burnt orange/auburn; slight bubbles
Aroma: Apricot; Malty/Earthy, No citrus. Not the most pleasant, actually. Somewhat like a lingering, unidentifiable food smell...then again, I am an IPA newbie.
Flavor: Strong malt base, accentuated by flow of hops..smoothing out/teasing out the sweeter malt flavor. Dry finish
Mouth feel:Bitterness in hops looses poignancy (a nice adjustment); relaxes over time.
Drinkability: Eases over time, a bit too bitter at first. Also, not terribly refreshing. Not my choice for a summer afternoon.

3.35/5  rDev -21.2%

I received this bomber in a trade with RichBeer. Thanks Rich. Screen-printed bottle with helpful serving instructions (but no bottling date), poured into a pint glass. The pour yields a creamy finger tall head with decent retention. Sticky lacing lines the side of the glass as the head disappears. This is dark for an IPA. If I didn't know what I had been poured I would have thought I was being served an amber. Carbonation is really active as seen through the glass.

The aroma yields piney overtones with grapefruit undertones. Floral hops waft lightly through the nose. There aren't any surprises here but it is strongly aromatic with a good balance of all of the fragrances that you'd expect in any IPA. There's nothing wrong with a textbook IPA done correctly.

Given the beautiful look and spot-on aroma of this beer, the taste is underwhelming. The floral qualities of the hops take first billing and center stage. It's not overbearing though. In fact, it's kind of bland. Mild orange and grapefruit follow the floral character with subtlety. There is a strong maltiness that is seemingly present for balance, but it doesn't add any complimentary flavors, save for the faintest hint of grass and burnt plastic. Alcohol is noticeable toward the end, though it stays pretty well hidden. The whole thing finishes bitterly with a terribly bitter aftertaste that doesn't go away. It's akin to chewing on grapefruit peels.

The mouthfeel is spot on for the style. The beer is medium bodied. The carbonation is appropriate. Well done.

There are so many good things to say about this IPA but when it comes down to it, I didn't find it to be very drinkable. It's beautiful; it feels good in the mouth and I could sit and smell it all day. But of the five senses, the one that a brew really needs to impress is the sense of taste. AleSmith IPA falls flat in that category. The bland flavors and unnecessarily bitter aftertaste literally left a bad taste in my mouth and a bad impression in general. 7.25% ABV tells you that you're not going to drink them all night. In fact, an entire bomber is plenty ambitious. After finishing my pint, I poured the rest, which is something I have only done one other time.

---

The Two Schlitz Scale™: (see my profile for an explanation)
I don't give a Schlitz about this IPA. In fact, I think I'll go for a Schlitz right now.

3.37/5  rDev -20.7%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a N'Ice Chouffe beer flute in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are quite high given the brewery. Cost was 5.49 USD in Orange County, California. No best before date, but this one is at least three weeks old (based on date of purchase). I know it'd be better fresh, but I do what I can. Paired with microwaved pizza (I'm a uni student!). Four weeks old.

*I've also gotten this at Trader Joe's for $4.99.

Served cold. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two and a half finger head of light but nice cream lacing, fair thickness, and good retention - especially for the relatively high ABV. Colour is a transparent copper-gold. It's a bit generic, but appealing nonetheless.

Sm: Pleasantly enticingly hoppy, but I worry it will be too bitter (as many IPAs tend to be). A mild strength aroma. Nice rounded floral hop character. Some zest grapefruit citrus. Pale malts. A clean aroma of mild to moderate strength. No yeast or alcohol is detectable. Unfortunately, it does flirt with soapy notes.

T: A pleasant hoppy body, without hardly any bitterness on the finish or climax. It's hard to believe. A brewer that understands an IPA is about balance, not hop quantity? Imagine that! It's very well done, with near perfect balance of hops over an unobtrusive pale malt foundation. I really like this IPA. It's simple, but damned refreshing. That said, it does approach soapiness. Light pine. Very clean. No real subtlety here.

Mf: Amazingly, delightfully smooth and wet, suiting the flavours of the body near perfectly. Very well executed. Good thickness and body. Refreshing. Good presence on the palate. Soft.

Dr: Incredibly drinkable, especially for the style. The alcohol never comes through in spite of being of above average quantity. It's a lovely IPA. Price point is great as well. I'd get this again. *In fact I have, since. Another quality brew from Alesmith.

Pairs well with food (especially spicy food).

B-

3.38/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a 22 oz bomber at the City Beer Store in San Francisco. I have heard great things about AleSmith so I was very excited to try the IPA. My first thought was this might be a weaker IPA than I typically enjoy because of the soft/clear color and lack of a big nose. The taste was enjoyable, but I didn't pick up any distinctive characteristics. It’s a well-made beer and enjoyable to drink, but it doesn’t compare to other IPA in terms of overall hoppy satisfaction. It actually seemed to have more in common with a good pale ale than an IPA. I would love to try it again off a tap and see how it compares to my first experience.

3.38/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a slightly hazy dark golden color with no head. Looks still. Some spotty lacing does get left behind on the glass. Do not know what happened here.

Good hop aroma. About what I come to expect in a west coast IPA. Plenty of citrus and pine.

Flavor is mostly hops. I do get a little sweetness from the malt but it is quickly overtaken by the hop bitterness. Plenty of citrus. Bitterness is moderate.

Not surprising the mouthfeel was a letdown. Very little carbonation. The body would be good if it had something to lift it.

A bad bottle or it got damaged in shipping. The other Alesmith bottles were OK though. I noticed there was no yeast in the bottle. Looks like a bottle-conditioning foulup. I would be willing to give it another try as other reviewers have not had the same experience.

11/19/13
Alesmith is new to WI so it was time to revisit this beer. Bottled 10/22/13 so less than a month old. My major complaints about my previous experience with this beer have been addressed. Looks good and lively and the texture feels is excellent. I would give it solid 4s for every category.

3.38/5  rDev -20.5%

I bought a bottle of this at a grocery store on a recent visit to San Francisco. Poured it into a stemmed glass the day I bought it. Overall this is one of the most hoppy beers I've had. Maybe even more hoppy than the Pliny.

A deep orange color with a medium size head. Aroma is very hoppy, with a strong citrus and some pine as well Flavor as well had a very strong hop presence, mostly citrus and not as well balanced as I would have liked it to be. I'll give this beer another chance but it was not my favorite IPA.

3.38/5  rDev -20.5%

A beer in the top 50 that I don't have to send away for and is less than $10 a bottle? Sign me up!

Large, white, craggy head that is almost too big. Mildy hazy amber color.

Acidic pineapple and sharp pine aroma. Taste is sharp citrus rind and snappy light cracker malt--extremely biting. I know IPAs arent's supposed to be balanced, and West Coast ones even less so, but the hops are so sharp and the malt is so weak it's just downrght unpleasant I tell you. Tastes like a homebrew gone centennial crazy. Thin, bottle-conditioned smooth mouthfeel.

3.38/5  rDev -20.5%

Darker amber color with loads of streaming bubbles. Half inch frothy head.
Not a real fregrant nose. Some sweet malts with very mild citrus hops. Somewhat bready nose captured for the most part.
After breaking through a frothy head, a melow cirtus hop flavor. Some sweetend barly breaks through with a semi-spicy alchol burn to finish.
Almost a medium body with sticky oily resins left in the mouth. Remains on tounge with alchol.
Respectable but not very impressive by a west coast IPA. Was very excited to see it back on the shelfs after what I was told to be "distrbution problem". Freshness is suspect here but really feels like lighting a firecracker and finding out its a dud.

3.39/5  rDev -20.2%

I Poured the bottle into a Imp pint glass and was greeted with a two finger cream colored heat that laced out well. The body of the brew was a hazy orange in color. The aromas of fresh oranges and grapefruits filled my head.
Flavor wise the brew leans more towards the hops than Malts which is what I expect from a Ca. IPA, but there was some malts so it was not what I consider a hop bomb. It was a good IPA. I don't know what the hype was all about. I had a rather fresh bottle and shipped in the winter so I would think it was a good one. Don't get me wrong I would drink it again I went down great but it was a rather average IPA to me

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company