Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Reviews: 1,218 | Hads: 3,595
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bomber dated 9/12/15 poured into snifter
Nice frothy white head. Beer is a slightly dark sahe of orange

Citrus aroma , grapefruit

Taste follows close to smell. Sweetness juicy fruit but a good balance with a bitter hop bite on the finish

Medium body perfect carb

Awesome IPA. Love to see AleSmith in Chicagoland. I heard this is is coming in 6ers and if so then you can count on me buying this several times a year.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a golden honey color with 2 fingers of head that fades down to a nice cap that leaves lots of sticky lacing

S: Citrus and tropical fruits start things off, followed by hints of pine and some maltiness. Quite pungent and hop-forward

T: Follows the nose. Starts off with some nice citrus notes and flows into hints of tropical fruits and pine. Malt backs things up before finishing with some resinous hops and moderate bitterness

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A classic California IPA with all the focus on hops. Nicely drinkable and not over the top with the abv. Definitely a must try if you're into west coast IPAs

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Growler, poured (many times) into a small snifter. Pours a copper tone with a finger of white to off-white head. Grapefruit and pine on the nose. Definite pine on the palate, giving way to citrus fruits. Dry hops lead but progress to a hint of malt sweetness. Overall, a very complex IPA. It seems to have a little of every style - not a juicy citrus-filled IPA, but the taste is no doubt there - not a resinous beer, but the pine is unmistakeable - not dry-hopped to hell, but the crisp hops are prominent - not sugary sweet, but the malt lingers on the aftertaste. An excellent defense of the premise that IPAs don't always have to be bigger and more over the top, they too can be subtle and complex.

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is an unbelievably good west coast IPA, one of the best I've had from that region. It ranks up there with sculpin, Pliny, and anything from green flash. So happy there is CT distro for AleSmith now.

Pours beautifully, deep honey orange in color with a tight, resilient off white head. Fairly hazy from the bottle conditioning.

Big time citrus aroma, grapefruit first and a really nice pineapple/mango sweetness as well. Floral notes from the hop bill, and a big hit of bitter pine resin on the front of the palate. This is followed by a wonderful malt sweetness, some caramel and more pineapple on the mid palate.

Wonderfully dry and refreshing on the finish, super crisp but just smooth enough to make your next sip something to anticipate. Serve this above fridge temperature, it's too prickly below 40 degrees.

Seek this out. Drink it fresh. You're welcome.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Made a trip to Illinois for the Alesmith rollout. At $7.99 a bomber, I took the bait. The bottle date is not discernible due to smudging, pouring it into a twelve ounce tulip.

Look- Pours an almost clear gold color with a finger of rapidly diminishing white foam.

Smell- Onion forward with some pine and mild perfume.

Taste- Pine up front with a bit of onion in the back, followed by some malt flavor.

Feel- Very dry with a bitter finish.

Overall- A good beer but nothing earth shattering. Worth a shot for the price.

2.91/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

My search for an IPA I like continues. Purchased a non-refrigerated 22 ounce bottle of this one from Whole Foods, chilled it to what I believe was a couple of degrees below 50 and poured it into a pint glass. Found the beer to be overwhelmingly hoppy. I see the beer is dry hopped. Maybe I need an IPA that's not dry hopped, if there is such a thing. Maybe it's California IPAs that I don't enjoy. I believe that's all I've tried so far. Maybe I ought to try a "session IPA". If I am anything, it is persistent. I will keep looking.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very clean filtered look. Aroma of grapefruit and touch of tropical fruit. Taste is very similar to nose but with a nice touch of pine and resin to round it out. Balanced malt profile too. I would def buy this again, especially at only $5.99 a bomber.

3.89/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Color is a yellow/orange somewhat hazy but crisp color. Smell is very enjoyable with a strong punch of ?nelson? hops. Taste does not follow the nose as it's bitter but not with a lot of additional flavor. Finish is somewhat bitter and harsh. Start great and slowly gets worse making an OK beer.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Prime 16. Pours a translucent Amber color with an inch of head. Some lacing. The aroma is lots of tropical and citrus fruits. Mango, guava, pineapple and tangerine. The taste is much like the aroma. Guava, mango, pineapple, tangerine, grapefruit and some toasted malts. Bitter and fruity with a mild alcohol burn. Medium bodied. Overall, great IPA I'm glad is finally available in CT.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

From yesterday.

Ah yes, one of the archetypal west coast IPAs is now available to me. I get lots of zippy grapefruit on the nose, alongside hints of pine and caramel. Letting it open up...now I'm getting tons of Cascade-esque floral notes. As much as I enjoy IPAs, many of them don't seem complex to me. Not this one, though! The flavor profile brings a lot of floral hoppiness...as well as a healthy bitterness. It finishes with some grapefruit rind. A touch of caramel malt balances things out some. It's a bit sweet in terms of feel, and that's perfect - it helps quell some of the sharpness present in some California IPAs (Stone IPA springs instantly to mind). This needs to be in six-packs, right now. Still, it's right up there with Sculpin as far as I'm concerned.

3.95/5: An impressive representation of the west-coast IPA archetype

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Rich honey color with an impressive head that lingers. Serious lacing on the glass! The aroma is typical of my favorite balanced IPAs with citrus and caramel malt. The flavor is so satisfying, with ample bitterness, hop spiciness, tangerine, mango, and lots of pine. Malt balances it out, but the citrus rides out the finish. This is one I could happily drink tons of, if only I had consistent access.

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I find that I've said in a lot of my reviews "this is exactly what you'd expect". I'm not often wrong about what I expect, so that makes me think I'm probably pretty smart.

I expected a West Coast IPA. I got exactly that. Golden in color, with very fine patches suspended in the beer. Thick head and wet lacing.

Nose is all hops. Citrus and pine mix here. Taste of course follows, with a pleasant lingering of resinous hops.

Not overly bitter, not overly cloying, not overly anything - but that's a good thing here. Really just a spot on representation of the style.

4.04/5  rDev -5.6%

No time to review properly, but I'll do my best without the usual protocol.

Looks brilliant - clear copper & solid retention/lacing. Nose is solid, very deep malty notes against a really deep, pungent hop character. The palate is the same, perfectly balanced & finishing bitter. Feel is average/above-average to style, nice carb & not absurdly heavy or thin. I like this brew quite a lot overall.

4.46/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden, clear, gorgeous white pillowy head - about 2" into an IPA glass.

Nose is a bit more subdued than expected - typical west coast IPA mix of pine and citrus. Malt shows up, a ouch more and sweeter than expected.

Flavor is fantastic. A hop profile comes across similar to Pliny or other quintessential west coast style IPAs. Honestly the best I can say here is it is the most similar thing to Pliny the Elder I've had. Malt does come forward a bit more than expected.

Feel is right on, bright, light, nice body but clean. Finishes bitter and not too sweet - hops linger more than the malt.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

This beer pours light gold with a reasonable head. The aromas are primarily grapefruit, orange, and mango. The flavor is extremely balanced. The citrus hop presence leads, balanced by a slightly sweet malt flavor, finishing with a brisk pine note. This is a great IPA, balanced, powerful, and enjoyable.

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

picked up this bomber after randomly searching AleSmith on the BeerAdvocate app while in store, turned out they make some highly rated beers! good luck find for me

pours a great head with an amber hue, good looking in the glass

the smell is fantastic, an orange/citric aroma that wafted towards me. i love when beers do that.

this has a dank citric hop taste to it, it's not as "lively" or as full of citrus life as other IPAs. i don't know how to describe it, maybe it's a more dry taste?

the feel is similar to taste in that it is different than other IPAs i've had due to it's unique palate. it seems drier and more subdued yet it is still delicious. it is not a very carbonated and lively beer, at least the bottle i bought. goes down smooth but has a creamy "flat" taste/finish

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From a bomber, bottled 7/10/2015 into a GI tulip
pours a big foamy 3 finger off-white head on top of a fairly clear gold-apricot, leaving good lacing. Nose is beautifully put together -- gentle sweet orange citrus, apricot, ripe and sweet papya, some grassiness, definite caramel, and a hint of pine. Taste follows the nose, with a little more resin pairing up with some tropical hops at the end than one might guess from the nose...the caramalt is also bigger. Superb balance. Mouthful is the best thing about this: perfect carb, perfectly smooth with zero burn, nice and hoppy/lively with a little bite but also kind of creamy. Substantial body and full flavors but drinks ridiculously easy. Fairly dry at the end.

Both AleSmith and Toppling Goliath have started distributing in MN in the past week or two... The Beer God clearly loves MN.

Serving type: Bomber into a shaker pint like God intended.

Pours a honey-amber coloration. Smell is slightly citrusy, well hopped, along with some pine-y and citrus zesty scents. Taste reflects the smell, light citrus flavors along with some great hop punch that aren't overpowering. Very much a West coast IPA. The mouthfeel is slightly thicker than normal for an IPA (treading on DIPA territory) but it is well carbonated, it compliments the bigger hop and zest flavors well.

Would buy again and again.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into IPA glass.

Appearance: Rich gold with very nice, stark white head and great lacing.

Smell: Hop oils, citrus and pine. Very West Coast.

Taste: The hop oils drive the taste as well. There are elements of grapefruit, orange, pine and spiciness from the hops, but more than anything it simply tastes like hops. The malts are there, but don't distract. Finish is pretty bitter.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body that is quite oily. Very dry finish.

Overall: Prototypical West Coast IPA. Very well done, but doesn't stand out from many of the other well-executed West Coast IPAs.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Not a bad IPA, definitely worth the whopping $6.99 price tag.
Pour - dark gold with a nice head
Smell - Big mix of fruits and hops
Taste - Nothing super spectacular here. Citrusy with an ending of hops, great for the cost
Overall - Easily drinkable, thicker than other IPAs I've had, but not bad

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle.

A: Pours a clear deep golden copper color with lot of lively visible carbonation. An inch and a half of white foamy head rests atop the brew and retains incredibly well. Leaves behind tons of beautiful lacing.

S: Big aromas of wet grass, citrus, and tropical fruits initially, grapefruit, orange, and apricot are the most prevailant. Then some caramel, sweet malt notes, and subtle hints of vanilla. At the end aromas of green tea, and dank resinous dry pine hops come out.

T: Sweet malts, pine like hops, and green tea like flavors initially. In the middle you find some grapefruit, lemongrass, and orange peel. Finishes with grassy resinous hops that leave a pleasant bitter/sweet aftertaste.

M: Medium in body and carbonation. Incredibly smooth with a slick dry finish.

O: This is one of the best balanced IPA's I've had. The hop to malt ratio is excellent as it provides a refreshing experience. In the world of hop bombs we live in (and don't get me wrong I love me some hops) this one stands out for it's subtle complexity. I really enjoyed this brew, I bought a bunch of AleSmith as we just now got distribution to our store. I had been hearing some great things about them for years and this was my first of their brews. I have to say they have immediately impressed me and made me look even more forward too the brews I have waiting for me. I highly recommend this and at the reasonable price it is I will defiantly be re-visiting soon as I feel this is one that will grow on me even more.

4.99/5  rDev +16.6%

This is the best IPA that I have ever had. I'm not saying the BEST. I am not trying to have THAT conversation. There are MANY MANY IPAs I have NOT had. There are many I have had that YOU may think are better. I repeat: This is the best IPA that I have ever had. Too bad AleSmith isn't in MD.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - Nice golden-orange, not a great head (pale tan) on my pour. Very nice lacing.

Smell - Very nice...Citrusy, huge dose of hops.

Taste - A hop sensation as would be expected from the hop schedule. I'm getting a hint of tangerine and almost a piney flavor.

Feel - Medium body. A good chew.

Overall - A very good IPA. Given the choice, I'd probably choose this over Sculpin.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Nice, golden-orange color with a magnificent 4 finger+ head and spotty lacing. Aromas of fresh squeezed orange are abundant, and also some hints of grapefruit, light pineapple and hops. Taste is so balanced with tastes of orange juice, light citrus peel and hoppy bitterness. Finish is, once again, very balanced, crisp and has a great feel of hop bite at the end...

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

This was poured into a nonic pint glass.
The appearance was a slightly bronze to copper in color with a one finger white foamy head that quickly dissipated and left some sticky messy lacing.
The smell had a blend of sweet caramel to citrus.
The taste was basically the same with a nice side of bitterness. There's a long caramel aftertaste and a semi-dry citrusy finish.
The mouthfeel was bitter with a good amount of carbonation relating to the style appropriately - just enough.
Overall, this was a nice AIPA that I would have again.

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company