AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith IPA Alström Bros

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From the moment you pop the top on AleSmith IPA, you get the sense from the nose, even from the bottle, that this has potential for enjoyment. The pour was relatively average with a two finger head that disappeared pretty quickly but did leave nice lacing.

Not really clear-as-a-bell, nor is it truly cloudy off-orange either.The nose is hop forward with notes of grapefruit,tangerine,pineapple and a nice balance of malt presence: carbonation is right on the money.

Flavors are that of a well crafted West Coast IPA: the grapefruit/pineapple/tangerine that are in the nose are also what hit your palate with an exceptionally well balanced malty caramel smack to it,very little alcohol presence and a terrific aftertaste that is on the dry side and invites you back for another sip. Mouthfeel is on the thinner side of medium and bottom line is that this IPA stands out head and shoulders amongst others in the same price range or even higher.

The ratings are high on this nicely crafted IPA, and they deserve every bit of it. Don't let the plain Jane packaging on this bomber turn you off: make this one next on your list to buy if you really enjoy not just tropical fruit hoppiness, but an exceptionally well balanced Ale. Two thumbs way up.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%

13 days old (bottled 3/14/2013).

Orange color. Fairly clear. In the aroma, tropical fruits stand out, like mango and pineapple. Of course, grapefruit and citrus fruits are there. So is resiny pine. Body is medium, on the lower end for IPA's (about Pliny level) without being thin. The mouthfeel is quite creamy. Long dry finish. This is one of my favorite IPA's.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4.25

I haven't had a lot of AleSmith beers, but I am excited to try the IPA. I actually ordered the Speedway Stout the other day, but it was a small sample and I wasn't focused on reviewing the beer. That beer is on the list, and we have a bottle in the fridge just begging to be consumed. That one is coming soon; I promise. Today we are reviewing the AleSmith IPA, and from what I can tell, an IPA that is just packed with citrus flavors all the way around. I was teaching a beer class earlier last night at Total Wine & More, and we talked about India Pale Ales and how the hops used can affect the aroma and the flavor of the beer. Just visit San Diego if you want a tour of hops, as San Diego is a region just exploding with hops right now. The beer manager said, "It's hard to order a salad in San Diego without hops." He's right! Being a hop head, I'm OK with it… and I am curious to see what AleSmith has done with their IPA. Oh, and they are also located in San Diego. Coincidence?

In the Glass: I think they bottled a wheat beer. This doesn't look like an IPA at all. I guess wheat beers are a little more hazy, but this is light in color and I can basically see right through it. The head is sticking around, and was a pillowy white when I first poured the beer. It is also producing a really nice lingering lace. Looks like something I could drink all day long, and with that ABV, I might!

Speaking of that ABV, it is not common seeing a bomber with a low ABV like that. Most brewing companies will toss their bigger (higher ABV) beers in bombers. Not sure why… but that is just a trend I have noticed in the craft beer industry.

Nose: Imagine taking an orange, a bag of hops, and tossing them in a blender. That is what this beer smells like. I am serious, if you haven't smelled a citrus forward IPA before, do yourself a favor and grab a bottle of this. It's only $5.99, and worth every penny just for the aroma. I like smelling beers because you can basically taste the beer without much effort. That is the case with the AleSmith IPA. Very impressed with this nose.

Flavor: That is exactly what I expected this beer to taste like. There are a lot of bubbles up front making way for all of the hoppy goodness. If you did a blind taste test with someone, and asked them, "Is this an American IPA or an American Double IPA?" I guarantee most palates would confuse this with a double. The finish is nice and the hops really linger. That is one negative thing about this style; it destroys your palate. Green Flash releases the Palate Wrecker every year, and I would like to see them change the name to Palate Destroyer. It's more fitting!

Mouthfeel: Not a big fan of the mouthfeel. There are WAY too many bubbles here. I wonder if aging the beer for a few months, or aging this in bourbon barrels, would help. I am sure it would help… but I am not sure AleSmith does that. Anyway, the bubbles are almost too powerful for me to finish, and there is no way I am going to swish this around in my mouth to see what happens. (OK, I did. It did open up and produce a lot more flavor… but I almost had to spit it out because it was like swishing a mouthful of champagne. I do not recommend doing that on this particular bottle.) After you get past the bubbles, the mouthfeel thins out, and the beer slides down nice and balanced. If they could figure out the initial carbonation on this, it would become a top 10 IPA simply for the hop profile and the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: In the class last night, when we were talking about this style, I told the guy we could line up 10 different IPAs, and they all 10 would smell and taste different simply because of the hops they use. The aftertaste is also something that is affected by the hops used. I am not sure the hops used in this, but this is one of the better aftertastes I have experienced with an IPA. It hits with a ton of fruity notes, then quickly becomes dry. It just sits there, and with every swallow, you just taste an intense amount of hops. Palate Wrecker is the same way. Drink that and try to taste anything for the next hour. You will simply taste hops. Lick a hop… that is the Palate Wrecker. The hops aren't that bad here, but do leave me with a nice, lingering finish that I just keep wanting to taste.

This is one of my first beers from AleSmith, and I can't wait to drink more. The Speedway Stout is coming up next, and we also have a bottle of Decadence in the cellar. That beer, along with several others we have stored, will get better with time. We are in no rush to finish the 1001 bottles list, so we will let those sit for a couple of years. If you are a fan of this style, I highly recommend this beer. Just a well balanced, sans the initial shock of carbonation, IPA that leaves a long and delicious aftertaste. Keep it up, AleSmith!

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle from my local New Seasons. Bottle dated from 2-21-13

A: Lovely shade of orange and copper. Dense head with a bog of bubbles. Has good carbonation rising through the glass.

N: Resonant grapefruit in the nose. Pineapple and pine are layered underneath. Citrus forward with a bitter base to prop it upright.

T: Tangerine, conifer, and a hint of caramel malt. Some pineapple and grapefruit. Layers of bitterness and sweet dough. Has the type of biting bitterness complemented by just a touch of sweetness and a perfect amount of the tropical.

M: Sticky and biting with lively carbonation.

O: This is extremely satisfying. A perfect afternoon sipper. I think I'm going to finish the entire bottle myself and crave more.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%