AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith IPA Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

Bomber shared with my standard drinking buddy. BeerFMAndy.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is a crystal clear golden yellow. The blast of head is rediculous. At least four fingers of stark white head explode to the top of my glass. After waiting a few minutes the head has formed what can only be described as beer ice cream. This beer has some of the finest head retention I've ever laid eyes on.

The aroma is full on juicy pineapple. A boquet of hops, fresh cut grass and pine needles. We joked about pouring this beer inside our cars and use it like hop air freshener. So fruity and hoppy.

The flavor is a mix of pine and grapefruit. Plenty of hop goodness. Some apples and pears with traces of bubblegum. Sweet and sour deliciousness. Dry finish.

Medium body with moderate carbonation.

Overall a spectacular beer. I could drink this one on a daily basis.

beerwolf77, Mar 07, 2010
4.25/5  rDev 0%

22oz bottle poured into an imperial pint

An orange body with some golden highlights near the bottom of the glass. A huge, frothy head rises extremely quickly, forcing me to play the pour and wait, pour and wait game. Excellent retention and chunks of ecru lace all over the place.

The glass is arms length away and my nostrils are already being assaulted with juicy pink grapefruit, tangerines, and pineapple. Pine needles and a light toasted caramel malt bed round out the nose.

Large amounts of grapefruit, tangerines and pineapple wash over the tongue and leave an oily, resiny slick in its wake. The finish is a touch, and I mean a touch, of lightly toasted malt and pine resin. The taste left me a little disappointed after how good the nose was, but it still was big and bold enough to satisfy my deepest hop cravings.

A light medium body with a resiny feel. A bold and assertive bitterness lingers and never relinquishes control of the tastebuds. A touch over 7% abv and I can't even find it. However, it just isn't creamy/lush enough to 'wow' me.

There isn't much I didn't like about this beer. The flavor profile is delicious, albeit a tad tame, and the mouthfeel is pretty damn good. This is a solid beer on all fronts.

ColForbinBC, Mar 06, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Another brew from JesseTheHutt, Thanks for the opportunity Jesse!

The Alesmeith IPA pours a brilliant orange color and a huge 4 finger head sits atop even after a generous pour. Lots of lacing on the glass and the retention makes this hard to drink without getting a foam mustache. Aromas are mostly grapefruit and orange peels. Some nice hoppy floral scents are also present. Quaff is sweet and floral up front with a very strong hop kick that leaves the palate wanting another sip to ease up the dryness. Mouthfeel and drinkability are pinpoint. The ABV allows for a few to go down easily . Another great west coast IPA, thanks again Jesse.

abrand, Mar 05, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to Mikey711 for the bottle. Looking forward to this... I almost opened a few days after receiving, but I noticed a lot of swirling yeast in the bottom. I let it be for a few days.

A - Wow, 6 finger head on a VERY slow pour. I had to let it sit for a long time. As I drink, big globs of foam stick to the side of the glass even several minutes later. Looks like ice cream. Bright orange. A little haze.

S - Hello, west coasty IPA goodness. Bright citrus. Makes me want a fish taco just smelling it. Mmm.

T&M - This is dry - I expected a bit more malt backbone, but I like it. Surprisingly still a lot of carbonation. I figured it might have been lost in the head, but there is plenty to go around. It makes it full bodied and dry at the same time. Unique. Still nice citrus hops, and big ABV presence.

D - The hops don't burn out my tastebuds but it is still apparent this is a big beer. I'm really surprised at how dry it is though. I'm drinking it slowly, but enjoying it quite a bit.

dougofthefuture, Mar 05, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

I can't believe I've never had an Alesmith IPA until now. Pours a slightly hazy light bronze hue. Eggshell colored head that crated alot of foam at first even with a slow pour. Heard about gushing bottles recently but I didn't have that problem. Lots of lacing left clinging to the glass.

Smell is just nuts. An explosion of tropical fruit notes. Pineapple and mango, with some citrus notes present as well. Smells like a hop bomb in the best of ways.

Malt sweetness upfront but a great hop flavor in the finish. Grapefruit, grassy, and piney hops make up the dry finish. Not overly bitter, its incredibly smooth.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and it is a refreshing beer. The drinkability is awesome for a west coast IPA. Smooth with lots of flavor going on. My new favorite IPA.

snpub540, Mar 04, 2010

Live review. Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that I bought at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio for $8.99 a few weeks ago into my Fat Heads Brewery rastal branded pint glass. No observed "best by" date.

A 6 inch head...seriously, this is one of the most massive heads that I have seen on a beer, kind of reminds me of the head that appeared when I first poured a Duvel. Body is a nice light caramel, translucent and right on with the style. 4.0

S Mixture of grapefruit hoppiness, some sweet malt and some earthy, grains which came in waves and in that order. I got several good smells of it while I waited for the head to dissipate. As far as getting my interest, this is a great smelling beer. 4.5

T The hoppy aromas certainly carried over into the taste and the earthy grains were there as well but not the nice, caramel sweetness that I gave a wave of in the smell. This is a good tasting IPA but I would have appreciated a return to a bit of that sweetness that I perceived to the nose. Aftertaste is a lingering hop bitterness with a touch of sweetness on the lips. 4.0

M Thick, syrupy but not to an extreme. This big (7.25% ABV), bittersweet beer has a feel to match. 4.0

D One and done for me and this will be my only beer tonight. 3.5

adamette, Mar 04, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -12.2%

02.06.10 at City Beer

A: clear yellow, with a fluffy head

S: exactly the a good IPA should smell, all pine-y and musky with fresh, bright citrus

T: even though it tastes the way it smells, there might be something missing, like that hoppy kick I love; or something slightly off, like the level of sweetness

M: nothing spectacular to call out, just medium-bodied, with the right amount of carbonation

D: it's pretty good, but definitely not the first IPA I'd reach for, though it's a solid choice when there's nothing else

Chambic, Mar 02, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Got this in a trade from Docer. For whatever reason this beer lingered my basement a little longer than I would have wanted for an IPA, but it was still a great beer.

A - Unfiltered golden yellow. It almost looks like a hefeweizen. When you look close you can see little specks of green hops floating in the matrix...nice!

S - I get mostly pine and herbs on the nose, with some sweet bread

T - Nice citrus hops rounded out with touch of pine to the edges and back of the tongue. Light pine lingers after swallowing, but not unpleasantly so. Sweet pale malts provide just enough malt backbone to support the hops. I'm not detecting any alcohol beneath the hops.

M - Mouthfeel is really good and refreshing. It might be just the slightest bit syrupy, but that's a very minor "complaint."

D - Drinkability is very high. The sweet citrus begs me to drink more, however there is plenty of flavor lingering into the after taste that one could sit and slowly sip one these for a very long time. The alcohol is almost undetectable.

Great beer. If you're familiar with Bell's Two Hearted (which I love) you'll find a lot of similarities, except that the Ale Smith is unfiltered.

Ranbot, Mar 02, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -25.9%

Ok so it is always hard for me to find a fresh bottle of this. I have bought maybe 5 bottles and none were fresh enough IMO to review so now I'm giving up and reviewing what I can get. If this stuff is not comin off the shelves fast enough to be decently fresh then it tells me something as well.

Pours a clear golden color with huge foamy head. It looks like there is a ton of carbonation. Great lacing

Aroma is typical American hops with citrus and pine. Smells ok but not a strong aroma.

Taste is more bitter hops than flavor hops. Not as great as some other IPA's I have had and I think should deserve a spot in the top 100 more than this beer.

Mouthfeel is like champaign carb. Way too much.

Overall it's a good beer and I never see it on tap at the usuall places and if I ever do get some fresh I will re review but it's not worth trading for or purposefully seeking out.

PeprSprYoFace, Feb 23, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a honey yellow color. Beautiful head with billowy pudding like lacing that stays for the duration.

The smell was not what I expected. I was expecting at least a little pale malts. What I was greeted with was a nice citrusy piney combo of hops.

The taste was an explosion of hops. Hops all over the place. Hops left to right. Hops up and down. Hops inside and out. Yeah, there was some hops. The flavor bandwidth is pretty narrow but the intensity is of the flavors is cranked up to 11. Is there a malt background? Who cares?

Mouthfeel was slick and creamy with just the right amount of bite from the bubbles.

If your in the mood for something hoppy, this is your beer. If not it might be a little intense.

On a side note there is no way this is just an IPA. This should be a quintuple IPA if ever there was one. I either got one mega fresh or this is one of the highest intensity flavored beers I've ever had.

livewire78, Feb 20, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange, with a 1" bright-white head that dissipates a bit before showing some stickage.

S: Rich sweet citrus (orange) and bitter grapefruit zest. Underlying malt and some alcohol heat (served a touch warm).

T: Piney hops, with citrus highlights. Some mango seems to poke through the pine and grapefruit as well. The malt remains in back, providing a firm ground for the hops to shine through.

M: Medium-high carbonation with a smooth quality that makes it slide across the tongue.

D: Pleasant, smooth hopiness makes this a great IPA. Very clean and refreshing

darklordlager, Feb 19, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A big thanks to tzanio for this one!

L: Pours a very cloudy orange-yellow color with a huge frothy off-white colored head with bits of yeast dots in the head. It laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted and toasted malts, then a very nice citrus-y grapefruit and orange aroma, followed by a big earthy, floral, citrus-y hop aroma.
T: A very nice taosted malt base lies underneath a grapefruit and orange flavoring followed by a very hoppy but still very well balanced hop flavors: earthy, floral, and citrus hop flavors. Really well balanced, there is sweetness from the malt and big hop flavor all throughout the taste.
M: Very smooth, refreshing, perfect amount of carbonation, medium bodied.
D: Very drinkable, this bomber was done in no time. I was amazed at how all the flavors came together, it was excellent.

erosier, Feb 17, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Opaque orange pour with a big, loose, white head. Bright citrus aroma with some floralness to it and hints of melon and honey. Loads of grapefruit, mango and melon flavor with a sweet toffee malt body. The mouthfeel is medium, sticky and loaded with cleasnsing carbonation.

punkrkr27, Feb 16, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Clear amber orange color with a big rocky white head. Aroma is really attractive, actually it's fantastic. I smell grapefruit, orange, spice... what a wonderful mix. Flavor is almost as good as the aroma. Pine, grapefruit, some pepper, resin, awesome. The body is just about perfect. Fantastic IPA.

hophead247, Feb 15, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -14.1%

Searching for a new IPA from BevMo--considering their [limited] selection, I am rummaging for an elusive diamond in the rough. I happen across the AleSmith corner, am reminded of Decadence's poor performance, yet am drawn to AleSmith's bold bottle typeface. Bottle purchased. <+1 point corporate marketing>

Poured a 22 oz. bottle to a Duvel tulip. Stemware selection may be influenced by the (3) beers imbibed prior.

A :: Bronzed orange with a tint of rich honey. Nothing too groundbreaking. Wispy head quickly fades to a substantial halo circling a crater of cotton ball foam in the center of the glass.

S :: A resinous, dry-hopped aroma wafts through the air as I make my way to the tasting throne, i.e. my couch. After prepping the pre-tasting notes and the brew warms, I take a gentle sniff and am greeted by juicy pears and spiced honey. The raw hop bouquet certainly has faded. A deeper inhalation reveals a bit of dankness with a green apple, cider-like back.

T :: Orchard fruits overwhelm the expected hop bitterness. Toss a slice of peach, a sliver of green apple, a squeeze of fresh lemon and stir vigorously with Chinook hops and--voila--AS IPA.

M :: The initial soft prickle of moderate carbonation and gentle hops certainly create a luscious palette experience. At the tail end, juicy slickness gives way to a lingering bite that is to be appreciated.

D :: Pronounced sweetness aside, I wouldn't mind enjoying several of these poolside on a balmy summer afternoon. Despite its origin, categorize this beer in the file of generic IPA--not West Coast IPA--and you will certainly enjoy. Uncharacteristic for a San Diego IPA, AleSmith IPA would be a strong contender were it not from a region that produces the likes of Green Flash, Alpine, Port, etc.

RaulMatisse, Feb 07, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to exiled for sharing this bottle.

Pours a hazy, golden orange with a huge white head. The aroma is strong citrus and pine hops. The flavor is more of the same, without the bitterness you sometimes get in West Coast IPAs. Even without the bitterness, there is tons of hop flavor. Medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

Mora2000, Jan 25, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a brilliant clear golden color. Amazing head with constant bubbles, almost too much carbonation. Huge off white rockey head, sits in globs on top of the beer.

Smells like a typical IPA, grapefruity and piney. Although not as strong as some IPAs, maybe it wasnt as fresh.

Taste starts off very tropical fruity, finishes with a definite bitter presence but a lingering sweetness is there.

Quite heavy on the carbonation, a little to light for an IPA for me.

As this beer warmed and carbonation mellowed it became a perfect velvety texture and is silky/oily on the tongue. Wonderfull, a really solid IPA. A great pick when looking for a solid IPA.

polygman, Jan 24, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from bomber to pint glass. Pours an amber body with a large off-white head with good retention and some webby lacing. Smells strongly of hops with hints of grapefruit and orange with a bit a sweetnenss. Taste is right on with the smell, pretty hoppy with lots of citrus and a nice malt backbone. Very solid beer for a great price. Wish we got it in MN

AdmiralDiaz, Jan 24, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass at Barley and Hops Tavern. The beer is a hazy amber color with two fingers of white, foamy head. Good lacing. Smells of citrus and pine. Really good! First drink confirms the aroma. Loads of pineapple, orange, and piney hops. Malt is there, but is totally overpowered by the hop bitterness. 7.25 ABV is not evident. This is a very drinkable IPA. An excellent example of the west coast style. I have had this beer many times, and it continues to be one of my favorites. Highly recommended!

Sideswipe, Jan 23, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Watching Jersey Shore and filling my pint glass with some Alesmith.

A: 3 finger white head. Golden honey color. The head resides to 1 finger. Good lacing.

S: Strong bright citrusy/tropical fruit hops. Some sweet malts. Just a wonderful hoppy nose.

T: Citrusy, lemon and grapefruit. Some mango. Resin, dank, bitter hops.

M: Creamy. Medium carbonation. Medium dry. Medium body. good for the style.

D: Real good. Great beer.

billshmeinke, Jan 21, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Slightly hazed golden yellow with lots of tiny carbonation rising gloriously from the bottom of the glass. Two finer pillowy honey-tinged off-white head with beautiful stiff, sticky sheeting lacing.

S - Hoppy hoppy hoppy! Cannabis and green herbs followed by zesty orange and grapefruit with a tinge of pine.

T - Exceptional. Wonderful full flavor with juicy citrus, resinous pine, and wildflowers with a subtle malt backbone which provides just enough of a foundation for the hops to run wild. There is an herbal, gin-like quality in the background... I can nearly taste juniper. Bordering on DIPA territory... and I like it.

M - Creamy and silky smooth medium to medium-full body. Carbonation settles down to a nice moderate level providing just enough lift. Dry, bitter finish lingers nicely.

D - AlesSmith crafts another great one. Very pleasing to drink. An excellent, high-quality west coast IPA for those who love the style.

JTahoe, Jan 21, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

I poured from a bomber into my SA perfect pint glass. Light, clear amber in appearance with a big 2 finger white head. The nose is big, clean citrus with sweet pine potpouri mixed in. The flavor follows the nose. The finish lingers with lots of sweet grapefruit. It is medium in body and dangerously drinkable. This beer deserves all the props it gets.

bonkers, Jan 15, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours slightly cloudy golden orange color with golden yellowish hues when held to a light source and a frothy, soapy 2.5 finger head with excellent retention, only very slowly fading into a lasting cap that coats the glass with streaks of soapy lacing.

Very earthy hop aroma with a prominent citrus fruit character, subtle pine and faint malt backbone. Lots of lemon peel, mango and grapefruit in the nose as well as some biscuit Graham crackery malt.

Clean crisp medium body that is very hop forward with a good balance of sweet citrus and dry pine notes. Pretty bitter and dry at first but with a nice amount of lemon and orange peel, mango and grapefruit and a subtle Graham cracker malt backbone that doesn't interfere with the glorious hoppiness. Lingering dry finish. Delicious dank, oily chewy hopbomb! Highly recommended!

corby112, Jan 12, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +8.2%

Purchased at 5th Street Deli in Dayton, Ohio. No bottling date. Looks like a ton of tightly packed sediment at bottom with a not uncommon amount floating throughout. 22oz bottle poured into oversized tulip.

A- Pours a polished pale to deep gold with a frothy, large-bubbled head. The white head recedes at a medium speed down to a solid layer of froth. Sticky lacing from both the receding head and the lowering of the beer level in the glass. Looks very actively carbonated: a never ending dime sized vortex of bubbles stream from the etching on the bottom. The second pour gave a much more billowy head with greater retention.

S- Grapefruit, pine needles, and hard candy emanate from the mouth of the glass. I don't even need to get that close, six inches and I can get a good idea of what this will taste like. The aroma has a bitterness to it, complemented by a slight warning of alcohol.

T- The bitterness hits you at the front, middle, and end. I don't get that from a lot of IPAs. It isn't overwhelming at any point, but is always there. Once again, grapefruit, pine needles, and supported by a malt backbone similar to hard candy. The sweetness of the candy flavor stays with you alongside the bitterness, while the grapefruit and pine needles take a back seat in the finish. An exceptional example of a dry, bitter, west coast IPA; this one probably isn't even that fresh...

M- Pretty dry and highly carbonated, yet has a stickiness to it. Mouthfeel accentuates the bitterness and hop flavor.

D- The dryness and high carbonation make this 7.25%'er dangerously drinkable.

I wish AleSmith used a bottling date so I could know how fresh this is. Very good as is, but am I missing out on an even better beer?

Pecorasc, Jan 11, 2010

Pours clear amber with thick (really thick) frothy head that is amazingly long lived. It looked like there was almost a fresh dollup of foam as I finished my slowly sipped glasss - exceptional.

Very fragrant floral aroma with a hint of rose and citrus. Nice. Not overblown. Not trying to outdo the brewery down the road - exceptional.

Perfectly balanced moderately bitter, very floral hops with a solid but not sweet malt base. Tastes and feels lighter than the 7% ABV. I truly think this is the best IPA I have had - exceptional.

Mouthfeel is basically perfect. Smooth, not syruppy, nicely carbonated but not fizzy. Exceptional

Please let me know if you find a more drinkable, better tasting IPA. I don't mean DIPA, but IPA. I think this is exactly what they should be. Nicely hopped, high alcohol content, and well balanced. Exceptional.

Why did I only buy one bottle?!? This beer almost makes me think I should knock a 1/2 point off some of the others I have reviewed. Awesome.

walshclimb, Jan 11, 2010