AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith IPA Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +8.2%

Hazy amber with a one finger, off white head with nice retention and lacing. The aroma has orange, grapefruit, zest, and pine.

The taste is just like the smell. Oranges, grapefruit, zest, and pine. There is also a good deal of sweet caramel malt flavor to balance the hop bitterness.

Smooth, creamy, medium to full bodied, with medium carbonation. This is such an easy beer to drink. This beer is definitely one I want to buy again.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

I think that IPA reviews can be a bit tricky. I have had everything from a beer that tasted as if two tiny drops of hop juice were added as a last resort to a beer that came with a spoon so you could eat the hop cones out of the bottle like cereal. An overwhelming hop characteristic can mask errors in the brewing process and can completely dominate your senses, similar to the effect horseradish sauce has. That said, this review was a breeze.

It is definitely refreshing to a beer reviewer when the quaffing of your subject is actually...refreshing itself. I had picked up a 22oz bottle of AleSmith IPA from a place called Imbibe Wine & Spirits in Bakersfield, CA a few months ago. Even just an hour and a half north where I lived it seemed difficult to find any AleSmith bottles unless you have a buddy who makes regular trips to San Diego. I am currently in a state of rediscovery with IPAs (Belgian vs. American) so I thought this might help move it along in one direction or the other.

I thought I might contribute by opening up this simply designed yet imposingly labeled acronym of beer history. Now when it comes to a pour, I could care less whether my IPA is opaque or crystal clear. Sediment doesn't bother me at all. So the orange-red color and two-finger tall head that resulted from my semi-aggressive pour was a beautiful sight in my eyes. The head didn't stick around too long but that just meant I could charge right in whenever I was ready. First, the aroma. In order of pronouncement: citrus like grapefruit, fresh sawed pine, and just a slight bit of caramel from the malt. Second, the flavor. As expected, at first, and at the temperature I opened it at, the acidic citrus really makes an impact. Not Blind Pig impact, but enough to put this a notch above Union Jack in potency.

The most interesting aspect of this beer, besides the length of time that the lacing sticks around, is how the flavor changes as the beer warms up. It being a bomber and me being only one man, albeit thirsty, I took me a good 45 minutes to drink this down. The last 6-8oz at almost room temp came across as a completely different beer. All bitterness mellowed into the smooth caramel that I had smelled up front. Like a melting piece of butterscotch, I let this swish around in my mouth a lot long than my dinner guest would have liked. I have dubbed this beer "Two-Face", for having two distinct personalities, but not one of them unattractive in any way. I have always admired AleSmith for Speedway Stout, and now they rank in my two favorite categories.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

pours a slightly hazy peach color with an orange glow with a smallish head and a very fresh collar..smell is pine and floral hops.grassy hops in the background..taste is big piney hops,with big floral and citrus hops..a little tropical taste in the back of the mouth is all balanced with some nice malts..mouth feel is all hops with a punch with medium carbonation..highly drinkable west coast style ipa..very good

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Second 22oz from Half Time. The first I had probably over a year ago. This bottle is a bit older so the hops are faded somewhat, and it has carbonated much more since.

Looks good...cloudy light brown. good stiff head.

light citrus/floral hop odor. was much stronger when fresh.

taste is quality...robust hops, with a touch of darkness. light on the palate, but the hop bitterness is strong.

mouthfeel suffers from the increased carbonation.

strong, flavorful, drinkability is reasonable. but a palate wrecker.

a famous IPA that is very good if you can get it fresh.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a somewhat cloudy golden orange color with a nice bubbly head.

Smell is of big citrus and pine, lots of hops in the nose here. Very nice aroma.

Big bitterness up front with a caramel malt undertone of flavors coming through in the finish. Lots of pine and grapefruit hop characteristics. Very good.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy with a medium level of carbonation.

Very drinkable beer, one of my new favorite IPAs.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Zatec fluted glass. Got less than a finger of white foamy head. Bubbles persist, and there's excellent lacing. Color is orange/amber. Smells - pine up front, some citrus, a bit of Mr. Clean (but in a good way.) Some sweet caramely malt as well, but not overpowering. Very clean. Flavors are very piney and lemony. Again, reminiscent of Mr. Clean (though I've never had a sip of it.) Delicious clean finish, not much lingering bitterness. At 7.5 it's pretty bold for a single IPA, but only a gentle warmth lingers. Two 22ozs in one night would not be out of the question.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

This pours a really nice golden colour with a big, fluffy white head. Average head retention. There are a few bit of yeast that have roused themselves but it's still good.

Citrussy, floral hop aroma. Slightly grassy. Really good.

Very light malt backbone. Good solid hop bitterness with a floral, citric hop flavour. Punchy with a nice lingering bitterness.

Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Very smooth.

This is a tasty IPA. The flavours are good and the malt well hidden to give centre stage to the hops.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Reviewed from blinded tasting notes.

A. Pours a hazy yellow with a creamy head that leaves tons of residual lacing. This is a very distinctive looking beer.

S. Very different from any other IPA at the tasting - herbal with honey. Off-putting to a few of the tasters, but interesting to me.

T. Very malt forward with nice honey flavor.

M. Medium body with a medium level of carbonation that works well for the beer.

D. Very unique beer - quite good.

Overall this ranked as my second highest IPA of the night (below Jai Alai). I've always passed this by before, but I'll be picking it up again when I'm looking for an interesting IPA.

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured with a nice, large, cream colored, foamy, frothy head that lasts a while and lace. Color is a rich, medium amber with a few bubble trails. Aroma is big hop, pine, citrus, malt and a bit of old leather. Flavor is like nose and richer with just enough sweetness to balance the hops and carbonic acid. Body is very good and so is carbonation; both just right for this beer. Finish is like flavor, slowly tapering with good length and a little alcohol at the end. I would have rated it better but for its grapefruit characeteristics which I'm not all that fond of.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Pretty hard to get a good head out of this one for some reason. However it does stick around. A slightly hazy golden colour.

Total fruit bomb. I get oranges, apricot, grapefruit and amarillo (yeah, the hop, pretty sure its in here by the smell of this).

Pretty damn nice. Less juicy fruit than in the nose, but still good. Plenty of zesty citrus hops, a little pine, some grassiness and also some apricot maybe. Sweetness is there for a bit in the form of some bready/caramel flavours, but really gets overpowered by bitterness at the end. Some slight alcohol warmth, perhaps too.

Full but still light in the mouth. Man, West Coast IPA's are the f-ing bomb. Like all the ones ive had so far, unrealistically drinkable.

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- A slightly hazy, rich orange copper color with a creamy bone white head that has some good retention.

S- The oranges hit first, followed by the grass and pine along with a caramel malt backing swirling around in there too.

T- Smell is better than the taste but Oranges and pine with some grass and a sweetish malt backing appears in the profile. This is very complex.

M- Smooth carbonation, with a lasting bitterness. A little astringent and coarse on the finish. This didn't meet my expectations.

D- For the alcohol content, this drinks rather nicely. Not really my favorite take on the style, but I can see why this is a hit. Was not as impressed as most reviewers. I believe there to be better styles out there

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip. Thanks to pretzelcity for including this in the Support Your Team BIF.

Appearance: Pours an amber copper color, with a full, creamy, off-white head. Great retention, and sticky lacing all over the side of the glass.

Smell: Great, full hop aroma. The smooth citrus notes are well balanced with some tingly pine. Grapefruit and orange rind provide the fullest part of the aroma.

Taste: The full hop flavor is in control the whole time, but it does allow the malt to provide a good foil up front. Caramel bready malt provides a sweet base for the juicy hops to explode on the palette. Grapefruit and orange provide the most pop, and the pine notes add another level of complexity.

Mouthfeel: Nearly silky smooth, there is a slight graininess, but nothing that takes away from each sip. The generous hop flavors and full malt bill contribute to a fuller than average body. Bigger than a regular IPA, smaller than a DIPA.

Drinkability: This is a well-balanced, full IPA with a great hop bill. I wish I had access to this more often.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

On tap at KnB Wine Cellars, Del Cerro, San Diego 9-22-10 (from notes, like all of my reviews).

A - Hazy orange copper with a big long lasting whitish head. Lots of lacing.

S - Piny/citrusy hops. Sweet caramelly and bready malts. Little bit of fruity esters.

F/M - Big piny/citrusy hops perfectly in balance with the sweet bready malts in the background. Moderately high bitterness, slightly astringent, but in a good way. Dry, clean finish. Medium body, moderate carbonation. Lingering piny aftertaste.

D - Refreshing, clean, easy drinking and delicious. This is a great example of a west-coast IPA. World class for sure.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a slightly hazy light amber color with a couple fingers of thick and creamy white head after a fairly rambunctious pour. Great hops presence in the nose. It's a mixture of faint pine with floral and fruity notes. There's citrus, but also a bit of mango. You can even smell some caramel malt. The malt is actually pretty abundant in the taste. I don't want to sound as if it's too much; it's just really well balanced. The hops were also pretty balanced. There's a pine, citrus, and floral note, but one doesn't really overpower the other. I really like that it had a hint of stickiness in the feel and carbonation was just right. No real alcohol presence. This is a really good IPA but may be a hair overpriced for what it is.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Darker, flat gold in color. Pours with a rocky, slightly yellow-tinted head that leaves a large amount of lacing. Good retention.

S: Rather aromatic, but also very simplistic. Mostly citrus and pine with a bit of sweet malt.

T: Lots of grapefruit, but only a moderate bitterness. Some pine as well with a slight residual sweetness.

M: Medium in body with appropriate carbonation. Feels clean.

D: A very well made, balanced IPA. And while I would classify this as a "session" beer, it is very approachable and fits well to style. Easy drinking for any IPA fan.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance -- Pours a luminescent orange, mild haze catching light, with a slim sudsy head. Beautiful hue, head needs fixing.

Smell -- Big grapefruit, pine sap, mild tropical fruit aromas, dash of caramel malt. Beautiful.

Taste -- Sticky, decadent hops. Massive citrus with orange zest and grapefruit, apricot, and a deep and ever-present wall of resiny bitterness. Malts are fairly underplayed and gently sweet, akin to birthday cake. Long finish of orange zest and resin.

Mouthfeel -- Medium in body with an abundance of tight, prickly carbonation. A little sharp on the tongue, but it definitely makes the hop flavors come alive.

Drinkability -- Wow. This was really f*cking good. Far exceeded my high expectations. The hop flavor is so deep and vibrant that one would be forgiven if they mistook this as a highly drinkable IIPA. Top-tier for certain, possibly my favorite American IPA to date.

3.6/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Received this fantastic Extra courtesy of . Thank you so much! Can't believe I waited this long to pop it. Poured into a nice twelve ounce HopLeaf pint glass and enjoyed profusely.

A- Tad bit less than I was expecting for a head. The crisp white miniature bubbles dissipated too quick until I was left with a few lilly pads and a layer of pond scum to view. Decent blood orange tints to an otherwise moderate amber body. Solid thick mountains of lacing always can be found around the rim of my glass.

S- Definite notes of pine and citrus. The citrus is of the grapefruit persuasion, of course. A cleanliness exists on the aroma. The ending is like a breath of fresh air. There isn't much to describe something like that, but a definite feeling occurs.

T- Pretty light on all notes here. The finish is the most easily identifiable characteristic to bring up. It is a light take on an IPA. Bitter pine resins tingle all over the palate hitting bitter receptors. The alcohol actually comes forward to give a interesting combination. Both hit upon bitter notes, but each one is unique and separate from each other.

If you let this fluid linger around the oral cavity, the alcohol finally becomes apparent. Its almost like a dilute spirit in its incarnation. Spicy, bland, and astringent. Good thing for me I enjoy these flavors for what they are.

The last flavor I must comment on is the opening. Its a malty piece of fruit. Very heavy on how it hinders the sweetness to come out, leaving you with what citrus bread would taste like.

M- Full bodied, noticeable tingles, and definitely lingering. These hops find nooks and crannies that most beers pass up. Its foolish, why would I ever lick that location? and than I did... Clever, girl.

D- Without a doubt I would drink this again. It is a starter IPA. It has everything you like about an IPA, and very little of the distracting factors. I'd love to bring this to an 'introductory' craft beer night, but alas I don't have easy access to this beer. The alcohol doesn't detract, the flavors are enjoyable for the most part, and the aroma lacks. Overall, good not great.

Appearance - Thick, cloudy orange with a big head that went down slowly.

Smell - Sharp, piney hops with a light malt balance.

Taste - The malt comes out more in the taste. It's almost like a bread flavor. The hops dominate, although they taste more complex than I picked up at the nose.

Mouthfeel - There's some good, foamy carbonation to this medium-bodied IPA.

Drinkability - This one is very smooth, almost light. The 7.25 ABV is unnoticable. If you like your IPAs smooth and even (as opposed to hairy and over-the-top) give this one a shot if you can find it.

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

Delicious. Pours a clea ramber, with a 1 1/2 finger off white head that had solid retention. slight bit of lacing. Smells of tropical fruits and citrus, bigtime notes of both of those. Reminds me of nelson.

Taste also reminds me of nelson a bit, but I think I liked nelson a bit more. Big notes of tropical fruit, citrus, grapefruit, pine, and floral notes. Tiny bready malt base is barely noticeable. Very good. One of my favorite ipas. Extremely drinkable. Prickly carbonation, with a nice medium body.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

I had to go to a dog bar in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and overpay for this. I waited for the bottle to stop smelling like dander and then popped it. Gotta say, better head than most women I've been with (is that joke old yet?). Even after I capped it and came back to it. It's also the perfect post-work drink, though not a sessioner. Call me a fan, cuz this one's complete. Wish we had it in the area, and especially wish we had it on tap.

In appearance it's a bit orange peeping through the amber, and a little cloudy. Medium body that I really enjoy as it goes down (that's what she said?). The smell is a nice hoppy aroma, bit of citrus, not too exceptional for me though. Taste is quality, reminds me of Stone's stuff. Just plain well-built. Does the hops right, and there are lots of them.

Not my style, but from the citrus start to the lingering bitter finish, this one can please any IPA lover.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Super bubbly head fades slowly, with large puffy lace chunks over the cloudy golden amber brew. Aroma is pine and grapefruit hops. Taste is moderately sweet maltiness upfront, with plenty of hops on the tail end, but nothing overpowering, which is cool. Mouthfeel is somewhat bubbly, but still smooth, and drinking is nice.

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

This IPA is exceptional.

a - wonderful light orange color with great carbonation bubbles and thick head.

s - great citrus hops and a faint malt

t - Wow, this one tastes like a perfect IPA to me. The hops and malts are perfectly balanced.

m - awesome. just right in my opinion

d - this one is a home run. I can get this locally and would drink it anytime I can afford to pick up a bomber.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Touch of apricot, tangerines, and grass on the nose; herbal and fruity yet muted for an IPA. Cloudy, orange/light brown body that produces very little head.

Oily mouthfeel, with a light caramel malt finish. More fruity grass flavors than standard Columbus/Cascade West Coast hop flavors which I feel is a pleasant change of pace. Carbonation is a little lower than other IPAs which makes this beer a bit more creamy; but I like it! A more pronounced malt character is also noticeable in this beer yet it doesn't shift attention away from the hop flavors of grilled pineapple and papayas, and herbal/spicy accents.

As far as the drinkability is concerned with this beer...to steal an Alesmith phrase...Yeah, it's pretty awesome.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Acquired in a trade with mulletgrab...thanks!

A - pours a clear, bright orange with a small white head.

S - loads of piney and citrusy hops.

T - Citrus with a great piney aftertaste. Hops dominate here. Not much malt here...hops rule!

D - very drinkable...another IPA I could drink any day of the year. This one is exceptional.

I would definitely seek this beer out if I could buy it locally. I love it!!

3.65/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving type - Bottle

APpearance - Very golden yellow, Huge 2 inch very white creamy head!

Smell - Hops, malts, citrus and fruis. Some spices like corrander and some mild alcohol

Taste - Well the beer is strong for a ipa. Bitter grapefruit is present but the hops are dominate, with a hint of alcohol. Almost smokey flavor malts. I get a very mild grapefruit / orange aftertaste mixed with alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Strong and bold, warms the mouth up, and leaves a alcohol and hop flavor for awhile. Doesnt wreck the palette or tounge. The longer i left in mouth, the more the alcohol came through.

Drinkabilty - Not bad, wish it had more fruit and malt taste to it. The hops and alcohol come through to much. This 22 oz is more then enough for me.

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company