AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith IPA Alström Bros
4.17/5  rDev -1.9%

Nice. The craft beer outlet got a few of these in.
Poured into a tulip. A cloudy copper color with a thin white heading. Not to great of retention almost flat.Very little soapy lacing that I usually see from my favorite IPA's.

Smell is tremendous. Heavy citrus notes,alot of grapefruit and some lighter orange peel notes.

Taste is just what I expected.Super sweet malts which strips the enamel from my teeth with every sip. An awesome citrus hop bomb that takes over the tastebuds and finish with a slightly piney like syrupiness.

Mouth is medium bodied,the malts are there but just as a solid suppport,good carbonation.Very creamy and slick finish.

A very hyped up beer and rightfully so.This one was a dousy.

3.76/5  rDev -11.5%

A-Golden straw color with nice white head leaving decent lace on the glass.
S-Really not much aroma. I get more malt in the nose than hop aroma.
T-Very fruity and floral hop flavor, a very unique hop flavor. Slight malt sweetness.
M-Good carbonation, nice malt feel.
Overall, this is a very unique flavor for an IPA. It's very sweet with good bitterness but it's not overly malty. It seems like the sweetness is from the hop flavors. Overall good IPA.

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a tulip.

Pours a light amber with a frothy 2 finger head that leaves perfect rings of lacing around the glass as I drink. Aroma is full of citrus and fresh cut grass. There is a slight Smarties-candy sweetness toward the finish of the aroma that can be very hit or miss with IPA lovers. For me, it is not my favorite thing, but I can tolerate it.

Taste is very complex. Initially it seems rather straight forward for the west coast IPA style, but there are layers there that should not be ignored. Initial blast of bitter grapefruit is typical and expected, but the way the malts come in to balance the bitterness while allowing the finish to dry out is quite impressive. A very nice bouquet of pineapple and tangerine flavors coupled with grassy freshness. Nice typical mouthfeel. While not among my favorites within the style, this is a wonderfully crafted beer that deserves its place among the elite.

Recommended.

4.02/5  rDev -5.4%

Received as an extra in a trade with pollox87, thanks man! I've had it before, but never reviewed it.

A: Beer pours a clear, light yellowish-orange

S: I'm getting a very nice hops aroma in the smell with hints of citrus; it's a nice aroma, but I'm not blown away like I am with some IPA smells.

T: Ah yes, now I'm starting to remember this beer. Very unique flavor, it's a fairly grassy hop flavor that's pretty bitter without a lot of sweetness.

M: Medium-bodied and perfect for this type of beer.

O: I wonder if this one might be a little past its prime. I'm not getting nearly the citrus aroma or fresh hops flavor that I recall the first time I had this beer. The malt definitely comes through a lot in the flavor, and the hops are more subdued. It's still a good IPA, but I remember it being great, and this one didn't quite rise to that level.

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured into my DFH Signature Glass. Quickly receding half finger white head that leaves lacing around the edges. Deep golden/orange color. Transparent.

Smell: Sweet citrusy heaven. Smells so beautifully fruity, a perfect example of IPA, misses a 5 because it is not as pungent as I wish it could be. It doesn't radiate past the edges of the glass. Once my nose is in the glass it smells amazing though.

Taste: Wow fruity hop juice is exactly what I am in the mood for and this delivers. Hops dominate the flavor. The malt is wayyy in the background, barely tasted.

Mouthfeel: Thin, well carbonated, nothing out of this world, the taste is the frontliner on this beer, mouthfeel doesn't enhance the beer but it doesn't detract given the style.

Overall: This is great stuff. I love the flavor and feel like I could session this during a hot summer day. I wish this was readily available to me! 6 Packs would be cool too as I hate the bomber format especially for IPAs but beggars can't be choosers.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Beautiful clear copper, near white huge head, slow to leave. Lots of cling lace.

S - Tangerine and sweet malt.

T - Malt less sweet than expected, hops less pronounced - a more subtle beer. Less pronounced flavors than its bottle counterpart.

M - Medium body, a little more watery than anticipated. Good balance, carb, etc.

D - Very easy to drink. This is one of my favorite IPAs, and I have to say I was a little disappointed. Less flavor than previous experiences.

4.67/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a schooner. No obvious best before date.

A - lovely golden color with a small tight head that disappears after a couple minutes leaving some hints of lacing on the glass.

S - probably the most fragrant beer I've ever had the joy of sniffing. I'm hit in the face by super-powerful juniper hops and afterward I can detect some light floral hops and mango. Stunning!

T - a little surprise to find it only moderately bitter after that nose, but the finesse wins with very tight wet/pine hoppy bitterness and citrus sharpness resolving into a hint of toasty malt finish.

M - light with a hint of oilness and only a hint of enduring bitterness at the back of the throat.

D - impressively drinkable; I'm pretty sure the 22oz will disappear very quickly.

This is a tremendous IPA; not overpowering but extremely satisfying!

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

22 oz. bomber, poured into a tulip.

A: Dark yellow, almost copper color. Pour dropped a vigorous 3 finger head that left nice lace.

A: Pretty typical of a west coast ipa. Big citrus and grassy hops with a small malt profile.

T: This one may have been just a little past it's prime. The hops were still forward, but a little too much of the malt profile came through. Grapefruit and lemon mostly, with the 2-row backing it up. Finishes dry with a little kick.

M: Agressive carbonation, medium body. Sharp, but not overly so.

O: Again, I thought this may be just a touch past it's prime, but all in all still a very fine ipa. Would really like to get a crack at this fresh. Skal.

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- This beers looks awesome. Pours an orange with a white head. Plenty of large sediment floatin around.

S- Citrus! In the words of Blag the Ripper..."Yeah!"

T- Citrus bomb, love it....orange, grapefruit, slight lemon. Caramel malts.

M- Medium mouthfeel, not overly carbonated.

D/O- Oh man, could drink this for days. Doesn't drink its 7.25% at all. Reminded me a lot of Sculpin. First AleSmith offering...come to the Midwest.

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22oz bomber split with my roommate and poured into a tulip.

A - The body on this beer is a pale, golden yellow, with some tangerine highlights to it. Even with a relatively careful pour, it turns out a bit hazy with yeast sediment due to the bottle conditioning, but it's pretty tame. The head is full and consists of 2.5-fingers worth of ivory foam, with a nice balance of tight and loose bubbles making up the texture. I can't see much, if any, carbonation streams in the glass. Lacing is pretty nice, with foamy peaks cresting on the sides of the tulip glass.

S - Although AleSmith doesn't date their bottles (tisk tisk for IPAs...), this beer certainly does smell fresh. This is almost the one beer that compares to Russian River's Pliny the Elder in my opinion, in that it is like sticking your head in a box of pine tree refresheners. I have yet to encounter a beer that rivals Pliny in that regard, and it's only fitting that it comes from another West Coast brewery. As it warms it sort of transforms into a more well-rounded IPA, drawing inspiration from the more citrusy hops and extracting some grapefruit, orange, and mango. Mostly hop-forward and having no apologies for it, this beer is seriously addicting to smell.

T - It's been almost five months since I've had Pliny the Elder, and I can instantly draw comparisons to it. Living on the East Coast, I've surrounded myself with balanced IPAs, that while boasting heavy IBUs, are still balanced heavily by a supportive malt backbone. However, this beer is obviously and unabashedly hop-bomb and I've found that I really enjoy those type of IPAs. Maybe I should move to California. Again, it's mostly like sucking on a pine cone, but with a refreshing wave of citrus behind it to transition the flavor. Comparing this to Pliny the Elder, Surly's Abrasive, Troegs' Nugget Nectar, and Bell's Hopslam, this can easily hold its own and I'm fairly sure I'd place it above Hopslam.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light-bodied with good carbonation. Pretty smooth for the style and leaves a thick coating on the mouth. The hops don't exactly rip the enamel off of your teeth, but they certainly do tingle after drinking this.

D - Drinkability is high. For an American IPA I'd say this is easily near the top of my rankings, if not for any IPA. Easily rivals the other, better-known competitors and I think this is a dark horse. If I could get this easily, I don't think I'd regularly drink another IPA.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked this one up while I was out in Cali for the Bruery Reserve Society party. Big thanks goes out to womencantsail for shipping this to me after I left. Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured a golden yellow-orange with a one and a half finger bone white head that subsided to one finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, grapefruit, citrus, and citrus hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, grapefruit, citrus, and grapefruit hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a truly excellent brew. The flavor and aroma on this one were nothing short of excellent. My only gripe was that the carbonation might have been a little too high as it actually burned on my tongue slightly. Really glad I got a chance to pick this up while out in Cali. An absolute must try!

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Golden and hazy with a nice, bubbly cream-colored head; lacing is okay; some sediment

S: So fruity: pineapple, lemon, grapefruit; a bit of grainy undertones but so much hops and tropical fruit

T: A nice tropical hop presence up front; as it warms up the tropical flavors (especially pineapple and mango) grows

F: Nice oily mouth coating

D: Such a drinkable, delicious IPA

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

Clear as the come,robust head, bronze color. giddy up.
Hot damn that's a pine tree. Strong lofty aroma. So resiny you could trap a mosquito in it and create dinosaurs later. Great stuff.
Obviously a bitter beer, and this is obviously fresh, but there is a slightly sweet taste and sticky mouthfeel to it to round the edges a tad. Besides Pine there is toasted caramel.
I normally fall in love with the tropical IPAs, but i can't deny that this is a great ipa that defines the Pine centric side of the spectrum.

Subtle and understated - almost too understated. Pours a hazy golden with a slight head. The aroma is lovely and clean, with a strong lemon, like a great lemony cleanser. The flavor is clean, smooth, malty and deeply lemony, with a woody bitterness and a crisp lemon bitterness on the finish. There is a little carmelly malt in there, but the story is largely lemon. The mouthfeel is very slick with a tingly bitterness on the front of the mouth, which is unusual. The high abv is very well balanced.

Notes from 8/9/10; no freshness date

Copper brown with two fingers of head and a small amount of sticky lacing.

Smell is a nice mix of floral and citrus hops.

Big pine and citrus hops up front, but the hops are balanced with a decent malt backbone. This has a great crisp clean taste.

Very nice mouthfeel. Relatively light (but in no way thin) mouthfeel for such a flavorful ale.

Ridiculously drinkable. Great balance of hops and malt is making this go down fast. Just a great, well-balanced IPA.

3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a hazy straw gold, a slight amber hue, with a quick head that leaves a ton of lacing. Aromas are of pale malt and earthy hops, not so inviting. Taste is a rush of hop bitterness, very grassy and earthy, fruit notes, dried apricot and pineapple. It has a nice mouth weight and an excellent drying finish. Overall pretty tasty, not your typical citrus bomb WCIPA.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

This one of the best IPA I have had. It is very hoppy in the West Coast style. In does have good balance if you like the scale tilted towards the hop side.

I would drink this beer again if I can find it. Not available in Indianapolis, I found it in Cincinnati last year I went to get this year and no luck.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

22oz bottle shipped with the Most Wanted BIF.

looks great, smells great, and tastes pretty damn good. This is a top notch IPA. I've tasted it within a couple of days of the other big boys: Sculpin, PtE, Blind Pig, and Abrasive, and this one can hold its own. The overwhelming impression is Apricot. a nice dark gold color, with a bitter hop taste that reminds me of that fruit.

Just like the label, there are not any tricks to this one, just a big, bitter, hop forward beer, with excellent body and mouthfeel. Not a ton of balance, but in an IPA your not really after that are you?

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Picked up a 22oz bomber for $4.99 from Olive Tree Market here in OB and poured it into a Forestinne tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden apricot hue with a thin head that dissipates quickly leaving some lacing in my glass.

S: Good dose of malt up front, followed up by a good amount of earthy hop - lemon zest and fresh cut grass, tropical fruit, fresh biscuits and a slight hint of booze in the mix.

T: Very similar to the nose but the hop is more prevalent in the mix which is a good thing. The sweet malt and fruity esters come through at the end to round out the hop and balance this beer nicely.

M: Medium bodied, a bit sticky but finishes clean, well carbonated for the style with a good amount of lingering bitterness from the hop.

D: No problem posting up on these all night. For as aggressive as the hop is in this brew, it's balanced so well that you can throw em back all night (and I have more then once).

2/3/2011

On tap at Alesmith.

A: Bright yellow gold with great clarity and a voluminous frothy white head. Good retention and lacing. Great.

S: Orange, grapefruit, and a touch of honeydew (interesting). Hops are juicy, expressive, and bright. No malt is evident. Perfume-like pine resin aromatics are noticeable and there are light floral notes. No detectable alcohol.

T: A mixture of orange flesh, orange pith, and grapefruit flesh. There's a midpalate suggestion of sweetness. Malt is crackery and faint. Bitterness is moderate. No alcohol is evident. Pine notes are faint. Citrus lingers in the finish.

M: Upper light to lower medium body with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is dry and sticky.

Overall: A San Diego classic that I drink far too infrequently. This is a beautiful beer and a joy to drink. Now if only they'd date the bottles I might buy one from time to time.

Thanks to THECPJ for the share. Review from notes 12/3/10.

A: Cloudy amber/orange color with a white head. Nice retention with spotty lacing down the glass.

S: Some citrus fruits, orange and pineapple. A little bit of grass and pine with a caramel malt as well.

T: Smell is a bit stronger than the flavor. The oranges return and some pine/grass. The caramel comes through and balances things out.

M/D: Medium bodied and very smooth. Has a slightly bitter finish. Drinks nicely, with the only drawback was the slightly muted flavor. Good but not amazing.

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

Recomended by the dist rep unloading boxes.
Thank you!
A: Solid looking ipa. Good light amber color with soliod head and retention.
S: Put this up with alot of dipas for aromatic strength. Very citrusy and solid.
T: Follows smell. Big concentration and strong pine and citrus with soft malt backing not intruding on the hop goodness.
M: Fairly big but not thick. Balanced and goes down easily.
D: I would happily have a couple bottles. Crisp and delicious.
Seek this out fresh (as I'm assuming this was) because it is delicious. Wish I could go back for several more.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a New Belgium snifter

A - Golden orange, fluffy head and decent lacing. A bit of yeast floating around

S - Citrus and pine right away, malty backbone for sure. Yeasty, sappy and nicely floral

T - It's nice when the beer taste so much like the smell. The yeast is more in the smell but the smell and taste are almost identical

M - Fluffy and a bit carbonated. A tad flat, which is nice mixed with the fluffy carbonation

D - Easy - medium. Definitely for sipping with all the malt and hops

Final thought - There are some really nice IPA's that come out of SD, this is one of them

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Part of a tasting hosted by vapodge, many thanks my friend!

A- Nice hazy golden body with a small white head

S- Citrusy hops and a little malt belly and some piney hops in there too

T- Some sweet fruits, a bit of hops in the finish but they are certainly muted. The piney hops up front are the most pronounced in here.

M- Medium body, good level of carbonation and a nice hops resin

D- Good example of the style as it's quite drinkable and could find myself knocking back more than one even with that high ABV

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured a crisp and clear slightly orangish yellow, looks very, very beautiful. Head is ample, finely foamy, and laces exquisitely. Aroma is a floral punch, with citrus notes of grapefruit and a twinge of mango. This guy was floral the moment I opened the bottle, and is really a treat to smell. Taste follows suit, but adds tons of pine, and a great bitter kick. Malt backbone is perfect - the hops never get out of control, and all the hop-associated flavors are allowed to come out smoothly with each sip. Mouthfeel is great, as the carbonation is there just enough to keep everything moving around, but not too much as to get in the way of any of the awesome flavors. Drinkability is also off the charts due to the balance from start to finish. At 6$ a bomber where I got this, this has to be one of the best deals I can think of.

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company