AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith IPA Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Bomber poured into a large snifter.

Pours out a hazy golden orange with a massive fluffy off-white head. Great retention and plentiful lacing. Off to a nice start here.

Big fruity aromas- grapefruit, pineapple, tart apple, a hint something sweeter that reminds me of cantaloupe?. Substantial pine in there as well. A bit of malt quietly minds its business in the corner somewhere.

My taste buds are getting worked over bigtime by citrus (grapefruit, fresh squeezed OJ, pineapple) and pine in equal portions. Toward the swallow, a little bit of sweetness creeps in for a moment and then pine takes the lead, getting quite resiny and stinging the tongue and throat. Some peppery spiciness is enhanced by the vigorous, but not quite fizzy, carbonation. A quite dry and sticky finish.

Overall impression: Excellent IPA. Highly recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: one inch head, moderate carbonation, gold in color, slightly cloudy

Smell: floral hops, caramel malt

Taste: floral hops, caramel malt

Mouthfeel: slightly sweet that gets more bitter as the beer warms, moderate carbonation, light bodied

Drinkability: I could drink this one all day and the alcohol is well hidden. This is one of the most floral beers I have had. Not overly balanced but very good.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Pours a fiery orange with some golden hues around the edges. There is about a finger of creamy head that has good retention. Aroma is very citrusy. Lots of grapefruit, along with some tropical fruit, and a hint of toffee.

Taste is more of the citrus that was present in the nose. Lots of good, hoppy, grapefruit flavors. The hops are a bit piney too. There is a faint toffee-like sweetness in the background. Finish is pretty bitter.

Mouthfeel is smooth, almost cask-like, just a touch more carbonated. An easy drinker and a very good IPA.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

22oz bomber. no date found. tasted in early june 2009.

honey color w/ amber tones. hazy. huge 3-finger, near-white head, receding to a meringue, then a stable 3mm layer. great, puffy lacing.

aroma: fresh citrus and pine. grapefruit zest and rind, with touch of fruit flesh, along w/ yeasty apple esters. yeast character flows into bready malt, with almost vanilla tones in back.

taste: a continuous hop blast, still nice and fresh, w/ resins coating the tongue, but not forever (the carbonation cleans that up a bit). fruitiness of hops mixes w/ apple esters and reveal the toasted malt underneath, though i wish there was more of it to balance the bold bitterness.

medium body, sometimes light, but lots of resins, yet also smooth overall. nearly fizzy carbonation, but as mentioned, lifts the resins off the palate, plus adds a fluffiness.

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

I was lucky enough to pick up a bomber of this one at table in vine on my Northampton trip with zapps and larsonstyle... last two left!

A - A hazy yellowish orange with an impressive white head.

S - Wow, lemony twang, fresh hops, and some fruit. I think it took me longer to inhale this beer than it did to drink it.

T - Big hops with a citrus burst along with a slight warming in the finish. Pine in the background and a minor malt presence to help balance out this delicious hoppy treat.

M - Full bodied ipa which is smooth as butter.

D - This is an ipa right here. This ipa isn't on the JV team, it's on Varsity, and it's starting quarterback. Beast of an ipa at an abv where you can have more than a tulip of it. Very well done.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 3.5

From a bomber purchased at Julio's, Alesmith IPA pours an effervescent light-amber. A ridiculous head fills half of my glass: rocky, clingy, sticky and beautiful.

Aroma is straight up pine juice. I feel like someone just threw a handful of dried fresh hops in my face.

Flavor is super dry and bitter. I can see how this is one of the most well-regarded IPAs, because it's so stylistically accurate. Completely attenuated, with no real hint of malt. There is something sweetly citrusy about the hop flavor at first, but the finish is utterly dry and herbal. Just fantastic.

Here's my problem with this beer: it's way too carbonated. You really have to wait it out until the bubbles reach a drinkable level. Once this happens, you're golden. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but I feel like if I'm paying 8 bucks for a bomber, this beer should be perfect. Then again, maybe what Alesmith intended was an American IPA more bubbly than Duvel.

Great stuff. I really want to have a less-carbonated version sometime, be it on-tap or in the bottle.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Alesmith IPA has a strange appearance. The hazy golden/orange body and the robust, rocky light tan head both look great. The retention is fantastic and the lacing is pretty damn good also. There's just one problem: the beer pours about 90% foam. I thought it might have been me or my glass so I tried again with a clean, still moist glass and poured very slowly. My results were better this way, but still pretty foamy here.

No complaints about the aroma. A very floral hop aroma creates a hop-potpourri and pairs with some intense grapefruit smells and some pine resin to make the nose hop heavy. Underneath the hops there is a good bit of sweet malts.

The grapefruit flavors are extremely strong in Alesmith IPA; they are the first and the most dominant flavor that I notice. They are very sweet and almost puckering, with only a small amount of bitterness to them. After the grapefruit comes some sweet malt in the middle that is overshadowed by the hops, but still noticeable. The finish brings more hops, this time in the form of a bitter-tasting pine resin flavor. There is just a hint of warmth from alcohol in the back end also. The aftertaste has lots of bitterness, some pine and hints of grapefruit. The malt is in there, but the hops are what really shine in Alesmith IPA. They are sweet, they are bitter, they attack your teeth. Basically, the hops do everything you could ask them for.

Despite the absurd head on this sucker, the mouthfeel is actually kind of dead. The medium body is appropriate, but the extremely low carbonation is a negative for me.
EDIT ON THE MOUTHFEEL: The mouthfeel on my second glass out of the bomber is light and very highly carbonated. Not sure what the deal is, but I figure leaving both observations in this review might be helpful for anyone who actually reads these.

Overall this beer has some carbonation issues, but those don't really stop me from enjoying the good aroma and flavor that come with the copious amounts of hops in Alesmith IPA.

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

Bomber shared with my standard drinking buddy. BeerFMAndy.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is a crystal clear golden yellow. The blast of head is rediculous. At least four fingers of stark white head explode to the top of my glass. After waiting a few minutes the head has formed what can only be described as beer ice cream. This beer has some of the finest head retention I've ever laid eyes on.

The aroma is full on juicy pineapple. A boquet of hops, fresh cut grass and pine needles. We joked about pouring this beer inside our cars and use it like hop air freshener. So fruity and hoppy.

The flavor is a mix of pine and grapefruit. Plenty of hop goodness. Some apples and pears with traces of bubblegum. Sweet and sour deliciousness. Dry finish.

Medium body with moderate carbonation.

Overall a spectacular beer. I could drink this one on a daily basis.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

22oz bottle poured into an imperial pint

An orange body with some golden highlights near the bottom of the glass. A huge, frothy head rises extremely quickly, forcing me to play the pour and wait, pour and wait game. Excellent retention and chunks of ecru lace all over the place.

The glass is arms length away and my nostrils are already being assaulted with juicy pink grapefruit, tangerines, and pineapple. Pine needles and a light toasted caramel malt bed round out the nose.

Large amounts of grapefruit, tangerines and pineapple wash over the tongue and leave an oily, resiny slick in its wake. The finish is a touch, and I mean a touch, of lightly toasted malt and pine resin. The taste left me a little disappointed after how good the nose was, but it still was big and bold enough to satisfy my deepest hop cravings.

A light medium body with a resiny feel. A bold and assertive bitterness lingers and never relinquishes control of the tastebuds. A touch over 7% abv and I can't even find it. However, it just isn't creamy/lush enough to 'wow' me.

There isn't much I didn't like about this beer. The flavor profile is delicious, albeit a tad tame, and the mouthfeel is pretty damn good. This is a solid beer on all fronts.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Another brew from JesseTheHutt, Thanks for the opportunity Jesse!

The Alesmeith IPA pours a brilliant orange color and a huge 4 finger head sits atop even after a generous pour. Lots of lacing on the glass and the retention makes this hard to drink without getting a foam mustache. Aromas are mostly grapefruit and orange peels. Some nice hoppy floral scents are also present. Quaff is sweet and floral up front with a very strong hop kick that leaves the palate wanting another sip to ease up the dryness. Mouthfeel and drinkability are pinpoint. The ABV allows for a few to go down easily . Another great west coast IPA, thanks again Jesse.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to Mikey711 for the bottle. Looking forward to this... I almost opened a few days after receiving, but I noticed a lot of swirling yeast in the bottom. I let it be for a few days.

A - Wow, 6 finger head on a VERY slow pour. I had to let it sit for a long time. As I drink, big globs of foam stick to the side of the glass even several minutes later. Looks like ice cream. Bright orange. A little haze.

S - Hello, west coasty IPA goodness. Bright citrus. Makes me want a fish taco just smelling it. Mmm.

T&M - This is dry - I expected a bit more malt backbone, but I like it. Surprisingly still a lot of carbonation. I figured it might have been lost in the head, but there is plenty to go around. It makes it full bodied and dry at the same time. Unique. Still nice citrus hops, and big ABV presence.

D - The hops don't burn out my tastebuds but it is still apparent this is a big beer. I'm really surprised at how dry it is though. I'm drinking it slowly, but enjoying it quite a bit.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

I can't believe I've never had an Alesmith IPA until now. Pours a slightly hazy light bronze hue. Eggshell colored head that crated alot of foam at first even with a slow pour. Heard about gushing bottles recently but I didn't have that problem. Lots of lacing left clinging to the glass.

Smell is just nuts. An explosion of tropical fruit notes. Pineapple and mango, with some citrus notes present as well. Smells like a hop bomb in the best of ways.

Malt sweetness upfront but a great hop flavor in the finish. Grapefruit, grassy, and piney hops make up the dry finish. Not overly bitter, its incredibly smooth.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and it is a refreshing beer. The drinkability is awesome for a west coast IPA. Smooth with lots of flavor going on. My new favorite IPA.

Live review. Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that I bought at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio for $8.99 a few weeks ago into my Fat Heads Brewery rastal branded pint glass. No observed "best by" date.

A 6 inch head...seriously, this is one of the most massive heads that I have seen on a beer, kind of reminds me of the head that appeared when I first poured a Duvel. Body is a nice light caramel, translucent and right on with the style. 4.0

S Mixture of grapefruit hoppiness, some sweet malt and some earthy, grains which came in waves and in that order. I got several good smells of it while I waited for the head to dissipate. As far as getting my interest, this is a great smelling beer. 4.5

T The hoppy aromas certainly carried over into the taste and the earthy grains were there as well but not the nice, caramel sweetness that I gave a wave of in the smell. This is a good tasting IPA but I would have appreciated a return to a bit of that sweetness that I perceived to the nose. Aftertaste is a lingering hop bitterness with a touch of sweetness on the lips. 4.0

M Thick, syrupy but not to an extreme. This big (7.25% ABV), bittersweet beer has a feel to match. 4.0

D One and done for me and this will be my only beer tonight. 3.5

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%

02.06.10 at City Beer

A: clear yellow, with a fluffy head

S: exactly the a good IPA should smell, all pine-y and musky with fresh, bright citrus

T: even though it tastes the way it smells, there might be something missing, like that hoppy kick I love; or something slightly off, like the level of sweetness

M: nothing spectacular to call out, just medium-bodied, with the right amount of carbonation

D: it's pretty good, but definitely not the first IPA I'd reach for, though it's a solid choice when there's nothing else

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Got this in a trade from Docer. For whatever reason this beer lingered my basement a little longer than I would have wanted for an IPA, but it was still a great beer.

A - Unfiltered golden yellow. It almost looks like a hefeweizen. When you look close you can see little specks of green hops floating in the matrix...nice!

S - I get mostly pine and herbs on the nose, with some sweet bread

T - Nice citrus hops rounded out with touch of pine to the edges and back of the tongue. Light pine lingers after swallowing, but not unpleasantly so. Sweet pale malts provide just enough malt backbone to support the hops. I'm not detecting any alcohol beneath the hops.

M - Mouthfeel is really good and refreshing. It might be just the slightest bit syrupy, but that's a very minor "complaint."

D - Drinkability is very high. The sweet citrus begs me to drink more, however there is plenty of flavor lingering into the after taste that one could sit and slowly sip one these for a very long time. The alcohol is almost undetectable.

Great beer. If you're familiar with Bell's Two Hearted (which I love) you'll find a lot of similarities, except that the Ale Smith is unfiltered.

3.15/5  rDev -25.9%

Ok so it is always hard for me to find a fresh bottle of this. I have bought maybe 5 bottles and none were fresh enough IMO to review so now I'm giving up and reviewing what I can get. If this stuff is not comin off the shelves fast enough to be decently fresh then it tells me something as well.

Pours a clear golden color with huge foamy head. It looks like there is a ton of carbonation. Great lacing

Aroma is typical American hops with citrus and pine. Smells ok but not a strong aroma.

Taste is more bitter hops than flavor hops. Not as great as some other IPA's I have had and I think should deserve a spot in the top 100 more than this beer.

Mouthfeel is like champaign carb. Way too much.

Overall it's a good beer and I never see it on tap at the usuall places and if I ever do get some fresh I will re review but it's not worth trading for or purposefully seeking out.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a honey yellow color. Beautiful head with billowy pudding like lacing that stays for the duration.

The smell was not what I expected. I was expecting at least a little pale malts. What I was greeted with was a nice citrusy piney combo of hops.

The taste was an explosion of hops. Hops all over the place. Hops left to right. Hops up and down. Hops inside and out. Yeah, there was some hops. The flavor bandwidth is pretty narrow but the intensity is of the flavors is cranked up to 11. Is there a malt background? Who cares?

Mouthfeel was slick and creamy with just the right amount of bite from the bubbles.

If your in the mood for something hoppy, this is your beer. If not it might be a little intense.

On a side note there is no way this is just an IPA. This should be a quintuple IPA if ever there was one. I either got one mega fresh or this is one of the highest intensity flavored beers I've ever had.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange, with a 1" bright-white head that dissipates a bit before showing some stickage.

S: Rich sweet citrus (orange) and bitter grapefruit zest. Underlying malt and some alcohol heat (served a touch warm).

T: Piney hops, with citrus highlights. Some mango seems to poke through the pine and grapefruit as well. The malt remains in back, providing a firm ground for the hops to shine through.

M: Medium-high carbonation with a smooth quality that makes it slide across the tongue.

D: Pleasant, smooth hopiness makes this a great IPA. Very clean and refreshing

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A big thanks to tzanio for this one!

L: Pours a very cloudy orange-yellow color with a huge frothy off-white colored head with bits of yeast dots in the head. It laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted and toasted malts, then a very nice citrus-y grapefruit and orange aroma, followed by a big earthy, floral, citrus-y hop aroma.
T: A very nice taosted malt base lies underneath a grapefruit and orange flavoring followed by a very hoppy but still very well balanced hop flavors: earthy, floral, and citrus hop flavors. Really well balanced, there is sweetness from the malt and big hop flavor all throughout the taste.
M: Very smooth, refreshing, perfect amount of carbonation, medium bodied.
D: Very drinkable, this bomber was done in no time. I was amazed at how all the flavors came together, it was excellent.

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Opaque orange pour with a big, loose, white head. Bright citrus aroma with some floralness to it and hints of melon and honey. Loads of grapefruit, mango and melon flavor with a sweet toffee malt body. The mouthfeel is medium, sticky and loaded with cleasnsing carbonation.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Clear amber orange color with a big rocky white head. Aroma is really attractive, actually it's fantastic. I smell grapefruit, orange, spice... what a wonderful mix. Flavor is almost as good as the aroma. Pine, grapefruit, some pepper, resin, awesome. The body is just about perfect. Fantastic IPA.

3.65/5  rDev -14.1%

Searching for a new IPA from BevMo--considering their [limited] selection, I am rummaging for an elusive diamond in the rough. I happen across the AleSmith corner, am reminded of Decadence's poor performance, yet am drawn to AleSmith's bold bottle typeface. Bottle purchased. <+1 point corporate marketing>

Poured a 22 oz. bottle to a Duvel tulip. Stemware selection may be influenced by the (3) beers imbibed prior.

A :: Bronzed orange with a tint of rich honey. Nothing too groundbreaking. Wispy head quickly fades to a substantial halo circling a crater of cotton ball foam in the center of the glass.

S :: A resinous, dry-hopped aroma wafts through the air as I make my way to the tasting throne, i.e. my couch. After prepping the pre-tasting notes and the brew warms, I take a gentle sniff and am greeted by juicy pears and spiced honey. The raw hop bouquet certainly has faded. A deeper inhalation reveals a bit of dankness with a green apple, cider-like back.

T :: Orchard fruits overwhelm the expected hop bitterness. Toss a slice of peach, a sliver of green apple, a squeeze of fresh lemon and stir vigorously with Chinook hops and--voila--AS IPA.

M :: The initial soft prickle of moderate carbonation and gentle hops certainly create a luscious palette experience. At the tail end, juicy slickness gives way to a lingering bite that is to be appreciated.

D :: Pronounced sweetness aside, I wouldn't mind enjoying several of these poolside on a balmy summer afternoon. Despite its origin, categorize this beer in the file of generic IPA--not West Coast IPA--and you will certainly enjoy. Uncharacteristic for a San Diego IPA, AleSmith IPA would be a strong contender were it not from a region that produces the likes of Green Flash, Alpine, Port, etc.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to exiled for sharing this bottle.

Pours a hazy, golden orange with a huge white head. The aroma is strong citrus and pine hops. The flavor is more of the same, without the bitterness you sometimes get in West Coast IPAs. Even without the bitterness, there is tons of hop flavor. Medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a brilliant clear golden color. Amazing head with constant bubbles, almost too much carbonation. Huge off white rockey head, sits in globs on top of the beer.

Smells like a typical IPA, grapefruity and piney. Although not as strong as some IPAs, maybe it wasnt as fresh.

Taste starts off very tropical fruity, finishes with a definite bitter presence but a lingering sweetness is there.

Quite heavy on the carbonation, a little to light for an IPA for me.

As this beer warmed and carbonation mellowed it became a perfect velvety texture and is silky/oily on the tongue. Wonderfull, a really solid IPA. A great pick when looking for a solid IPA.

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from bomber to pint glass. Pours an amber body with a large off-white head with good retention and some webby lacing. Smells strongly of hops with hints of grapefruit and orange with a bit a sweetnenss. Taste is right on with the smell, pretty hoppy with lots of citrus and a nice malt backbone. Very solid beer for a great price. Wish we got it in MN

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company