AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,281 | Reviews: 1,177
4.89/5  rDev +15.1%

Wow! What a beer...

I poured my bomber into the goblet twice, each time creating a nice, foamy head of about a finger's width... it was a hazy gold that eventually showed some residual yeast at the bottom of the glass.

The smell was incredible- vivid scents of fresh hops! Citrus, pine... somewhat floral...

I couldn't wait for the first sip- and it was everythign I'd hoped it'd be! I love IPAs, and this one is right up there with the best that I've had... just a great balance of malt and hops, a bit more on the hoppy side, but I love that! Absolutely refreshing and delicious!

the carbonation was nice in this one- the bubbles are finer, and as the bottle will tell you: the finer bubbles create more surface area for your tastebuds to get around... amazing! Smooth, medium bodied brew...

Very easy to put down the bomber- I was seriously savoring every gulp and eagerly taking the next... it was quickly consumed, and now I've poured a Sculpin to compare- and I'm sure it's going to be close!

Overall- definitely amongst my favortite IPAs to date! MY top 3 would have to be Sculpin, THIS, and Pliny the Elder (I know it's technically a DIPA)... truly an amazing brew that you should search out if you haven't had one! Delicious and refreshing!

2.9/5  rDev -31.8%

22oz bottle in New Belgium snifter. No freshness date...

A: Pours a clear golden amber with a huge off-white head that took forever to slowly fade into a thick film with a butte of foam in the center of the glass. Thick lines of lacing were left down the glass.
S: Sweet notes of pine, grapefruit and tropical hops fill my nose. I can detect the sweet undertones of caramel and dried orange peel.
T: A good balance between sweet malt and bitter pine and citrus. Finish is lightly bitter. Notes of tobacco in the aftertaste.
M: Medium body with a clean mouthfeel. Pretty decent amount of carb, but it's soft and smooth.
D: I don't think this bottle is the freshest, but it's still very drinkable. The hops could be fresher. Put bottle dates on the bottles dammit. I'm going to go ahead a slam the smell and taste categories with the number score, but I'll try another bottle at some point that is hopefully fresher. Sure wish they had bottle dates...

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

A Christmas gift from THECPJ, cheers Shane! Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a glowing light copper with a fluffy white head that refuses to dissipate. Chunky lacing is left on the side of the glass, and little islands can be found on the surface. Very pretty, just what I look for in a quality IPA.
S - The aroma of sticky, fresh hops assaults your sense as soon as the cap is removed. Grapefruit, pine resin, orange peel and honey with a solid caramel malt backbone. This is right up my alley, I love hop profiles like this.
T - Grapefruit and pine resin initially dominate, followed by sweetness from the caramel malt. Finish is fairly bitter, and lasts on the palate for some time. Slightly let down by the flavor, the nose promised so much, but for a "regular" IPA there's a good amount of flavor.
M - Medium-bodied with moderate, crisp carbonation. Body is slightly watery, but it doesn't detract from the beer too much.
D - Great drinkability, I'm having no issues with this bomber. Surprised by the +7% ABV, I'm not detecting it at all.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. The first half of the bottle poured a clear dark orange that I can see through, with some light carbonation right at the top of the glass. Initial finger of soapy head that receded just to the surface of beer, leaving plenty of large hole lacing that clings to the glass. The second pour from the bomber picked up a little bit of the yeast that was caked at the bottom of the bottle, making it slightly hazy.

Nose is tons of grapefruit and citrus peel. Some sweet tangerine and a slight musty fungus like note there as well.

Taking a sip, a lot of grapefruit and bitter citrus peel initially, but the taste somewhat disappears midtongue. Also not as dry a finish as I was expecting from an IPA, with some of citrus sweetness on the finish.

Medium syrupy body with just enough carbonation to help deliver the aroma while drinking it. Pretty drinkable, but the finish throws me off a little for this IPA.

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a beautiful golden orangish color with just enough head which quickly dissipates. The smell has a faint citrusy scent, not overpowering but pleasant. There is a nice hops bitterness on first taste but the bitterness doesn't linger as there is the perfect balance of hop bitterness and malt sweetness. This is as balanced of an IPA as I've ever tasted while managing to be not boring. I could drink this beer all day long. It certainly does not taste like a 7.25% beer, it drinks like a much more sessioanble beer.

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Pours a cloudy golden orange color with a generous foamy head that takes some time to go down.

S: Lots of citrus grape fruit smell, maybe some organ as well.

T: Taste of some bready malts up fron with a nice hop finish and a slightly dry aftertaste. Hops taste consists of strong citrus grapefruit and orange rind.

M: Nice carbonated taste along with a nice thin feel that matches the flavors.

D: I do find this enjoyable and easily drinkable. However, knowing to some degree how highly rated this beer is on the IPA list, I found it a little underwhleming/overhyped. Maybe I got a stale one. If so, I'll re-review when I try again.

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Big frothy white head, nice amber color, a bit cloudy, looks serious.

S: Some wine, some spices, some honey, hops. Surprisingly complex, especially for a single IPA.

T: It's got a good malt profile along with a big bitterness from the hops and sweetness and dryness. It's really the best single IPA I've ever had, I should say.

M: Smooth, not too thin. It's very good feeling on the palate.

D: It drinks real easy. Nothing to complain about at all. Much better than Bud Light.

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Alesmith IPA is a very solid IPA from California that isn't available on the east coast afaik, but I managed to get some in a trade. My first comment was that this beer was a bit too sweet for an IPA and although it didn't make it undrinkable, but does take away from how I like this beer. It has a beautiful hazy orange color with just a light glazing of foam that easily dissipates. The aroma is strongly piney with a bit of fruity sweet note. The beer has great bitterness and hop qualities, that are resinous, pineapple, almost lychee like in it's tropical character. I really enjoyed this beer but just wish that it wasn't so sweet.

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

22oz bottle, unknown date.

Pours hazy orange/amber with a small bubbly white head that leaves good spotty lacing.

Aroma is some citrus (orange, grapefruit) and pine, some pineapple and tropical fruits, fair bit of caramel malt, a nice blend of sweet and citrus on the nose, moderate to good strength.

Flavor starts with pine and resinous hops, some delayed citrus of orange and grapefruit, caramel malt sweetness in the middle, moderate to good bitterness in the lingering finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and oily, medium carbonation.

I have a feeling this bottle may be a bit on the old side but I have absolutely no way of knowing since Alesmith doesn't provide a bottled on or best by date (or at least not one I could find). My first time with Alesmith IPA so I cannot compare to other bottles of this since it isn't available here. A good IPA, but would love to try a known fresh bottle someday.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Masses of fluffy white head over an orange and amber elixir that is just a bit hazy. Would have given it a 4.5, but 0.5 deducted for chunkies in the glass.

Bright grapefruit, meyer lemon, and satsuma citrus with a dank, piney resinous aromas underneath. Yes, there is malt in the aroma, but it's letting the hops do their own thing and keeping it's dry, biscuit aromas in the background where they belong.

This is why I love being a Californian. Citrus for days with grass and pine spicing things up, all carried along by sweet, clean malt flavors. It leaps out of the glass, and wraps it's love around your tongue. The bitterness is bracing, not overwhelming. Just delicious.

The mouthfeel is a full, slightly syrupy, but not cloyingly so, just enough to resolve the bitterness. There is a faint alcohol heat that hits you in the chest, but not in the mouth, which is a gentlemanly thing for an IPA to do.

This is a massively flavorful beer, that is meant to be savored, but it doesn't make me want another after I'm done. It's very satisfying, a hell of a beer for the price.

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a clear pint glass. No bottle dating apparent. Purchased at John's Market for $5.99.

A-Pours a slightly hazy golden-orange color with a two finger, bone white head with great retention and copious, sticky lacing. Very nice appearance.

S-Floral and citrus hops are very fragrant. Grapefruit and pine resin come to mind.

T-Grapefruit and resinous piney hops are aggressive and balanced by a biscuity malt backbone that doesn't get in the way. Another fine West Coast style IPA.

M-Very smooth and extremely well balanced. Carbonation is perfect.

D-This is a very fine IPA, but not one I will likely buy often due to price and lack of availability. Unfortunately, it is similar to many other fine IPAs that are more affordable and available. This is to say, AleSmith IPA doesn't rise to the level of Russian River's Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder, which I do go out of the way for.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a hazy amber with a white head. Not much retention. Second glass is full of brewer's yeast that never settles in the base of my glass.

Lots of hops. Nose of predominantly citrus with pine way back there.

Nice and crisp classic american IPA but lacks the in your face finish I love in Dreadnaught (my fav Amer IPA). Still a great beer at a fair price. I drink this one fairly often.

3.77/5  rDev -11.3%

Not a bad beer on tap, especially fresh in the brewery's warehouse, as this one is rather overpriced in the bomber. Pours a medium golden amber color, with a big, rocky white head. Big citrusy aromas going on (mandarin orange, tangerine grapefruit) as well as a little pine resin. This one is medium bodied, and nicely balanced between all those juicy hops and the sweet malt. Good.

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%

Hazy amber with a one finger, off white head with nice retention and lacing. The aroma has orange, grapefruit, zest, and pine.

The taste is just like the smell. Oranges, grapefruit, zest, and pine. There is also a good deal of sweet caramel malt flavor to balance the hop bitterness.

Smooth, creamy, medium to full bodied, with medium carbonation. This is such an easy beer to drink. This beer is definitely one I want to buy again.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

I think that IPA reviews can be a bit tricky. I have had everything from a beer that tasted as if two tiny drops of hop juice were added as a last resort to a beer that came with a spoon so you could eat the hop cones out of the bottle like cereal. An overwhelming hop characteristic can mask errors in the brewing process and can completely dominate your senses, similar to the effect horseradish sauce has. That said, this review was a breeze.

It is definitely refreshing to a beer reviewer when the quaffing of your subject is actually...refreshing itself. I had picked up a 22oz bottle of AleSmith IPA from a place called Imbibe Wine & Spirits in Bakersfield, CA a few months ago. Even just an hour and a half north where I lived it seemed difficult to find any AleSmith bottles unless you have a buddy who makes regular trips to San Diego. I am currently in a state of rediscovery with IPAs (Belgian vs. American) so I thought this might help move it along in one direction or the other.

I thought I might contribute by opening up this simply designed yet imposingly labeled acronym of beer history. Now when it comes to a pour, I could care less whether my IPA is opaque or crystal clear. Sediment doesn't bother me at all. So the orange-red color and two-finger tall head that resulted from my semi-aggressive pour was a beautiful sight in my eyes. The head didn't stick around too long but that just meant I could charge right in whenever I was ready. First, the aroma. In order of pronouncement: citrus like grapefruit, fresh sawed pine, and just a slight bit of caramel from the malt. Second, the flavor. As expected, at first, and at the temperature I opened it at, the acidic citrus really makes an impact. Not Blind Pig impact, but enough to put this a notch above Union Jack in potency.

The most interesting aspect of this beer, besides the length of time that the lacing sticks around, is how the flavor changes as the beer warms up. It being a bomber and me being only one man, albeit thirsty, I took me a good 45 minutes to drink this down. The last 6-8oz at almost room temp came across as a completely different beer. All bitterness mellowed into the smooth caramel that I had smelled up front. Like a melting piece of butterscotch, I let this swish around in my mouth a lot long than my dinner guest would have liked. I have dubbed this beer "Two-Face", for having two distinct personalities, but not one of them unattractive in any way. I have always admired AleSmith for Speedway Stout, and now they rank in my two favorite categories.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

pours a slightly hazy peach color with an orange glow with a smallish head and a very fresh collar..smell is pine and floral hops.grassy hops in the background..taste is big piney hops,with big floral and citrus hops..a little tropical taste in the back of the mouth is all balanced with some nice malts..mouth feel is all hops with a punch with medium carbonation..highly drinkable west coast style ipa..very good

3.96/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Second 22oz from Half Time. The first I had probably over a year ago. This bottle is a bit older so the hops are faded somewhat, and it has carbonated much more since.

Looks good...cloudy light brown. good stiff head.

light citrus/floral hop odor. was much stronger when fresh.

taste is quality...robust hops, with a touch of darkness. light on the palate, but the hop bitterness is strong.

mouthfeel suffers from the increased carbonation.

strong, flavorful, drinkability is reasonable. but a palate wrecker.

a famous IPA that is very good if you can get it fresh.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a somewhat cloudy golden orange color with a nice bubbly head.

Smell is of big citrus and pine, lots of hops in the nose here. Very nice aroma.

Big bitterness up front with a caramel malt undertone of flavors coming through in the finish. Lots of pine and grapefruit hop characteristics. Very good.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy with a medium level of carbonation.

Very drinkable beer, one of my new favorite IPAs.

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Zatec fluted glass. Got less than a finger of white foamy head. Bubbles persist, and there's excellent lacing. Color is orange/amber. Smells - pine up front, some citrus, a bit of Mr. Clean (but in a good way.) Some sweet caramely malt as well, but not overpowering. Very clean. Flavors are very piney and lemony. Again, reminiscent of Mr. Clean (though I've never had a sip of it.) Delicious clean finish, not much lingering bitterness. At 7.5 it's pretty bold for a single IPA, but only a gentle warmth lingers. Two 22ozs in one night would not be out of the question.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

This pours a really nice golden colour with a big, fluffy white head. Average head retention. There are a few bit of yeast that have roused themselves but it's still good.

Citrussy, floral hop aroma. Slightly grassy. Really good.

Very light malt backbone. Good solid hop bitterness with a floral, citric hop flavour. Punchy with a nice lingering bitterness.

Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Very smooth.

This is a tasty IPA. The flavours are good and the malt well hidden to give centre stage to the hops.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Reviewed from blinded tasting notes.

A. Pours a hazy yellow with a creamy head that leaves tons of residual lacing. This is a very distinctive looking beer.

S. Very different from any other IPA at the tasting - herbal with honey. Off-putting to a few of the tasters, but interesting to me.

T. Very malt forward with nice honey flavor.

M. Medium body with a medium level of carbonation that works well for the beer.

D. Very unique beer - quite good.

Overall this ranked as my second highest IPA of the night (below Jai Alai). I've always passed this by before, but I'll be picking it up again when I'm looking for an interesting IPA.

3.96/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured with a nice, large, cream colored, foamy, frothy head that lasts a while and lace. Color is a rich, medium amber with a few bubble trails. Aroma is big hop, pine, citrus, malt and a bit of old leather. Flavor is like nose and richer with just enough sweetness to balance the hops and carbonic acid. Body is very good and so is carbonation; both just right for this beer. Finish is like flavor, slowly tapering with good length and a little alcohol at the end. I would have rated it better but for its grapefruit characeteristics which I'm not all that fond of.

4.27/5  rDev +0.5%

Pretty hard to get a good head out of this one for some reason. However it does stick around. A slightly hazy golden colour.

Total fruit bomb. I get oranges, apricot, grapefruit and amarillo (yeah, the hop, pretty sure its in here by the smell of this).

Pretty damn nice. Less juicy fruit than in the nose, but still good. Plenty of zesty citrus hops, a little pine, some grassiness and also some apricot maybe. Sweetness is there for a bit in the form of some bready/caramel flavours, but really gets overpowered by bitterness at the end. Some slight alcohol warmth, perhaps too.

Full but still light in the mouth. Man, West Coast IPA's are the f-ing bomb. Like all the ones ive had so far, unrealistically drinkable.

3.77/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- A slightly hazy, rich orange copper color with a creamy bone white head that has some good retention.

S- The oranges hit first, followed by the grass and pine along with a caramel malt backing swirling around in there too.

T- Smell is better than the taste but Oranges and pine with some grass and a sweetish malt backing appears in the profile. This is very complex.

M- Smooth carbonation, with a lasting bitterness. A little astringent and coarse on the finish. This didn't meet my expectations.

D- For the alcohol content, this drinks rather nicely. Not really my favorite take on the style, but I can see why this is a hit. Was not as impressed as most reviewers. I believe there to be better styles out there

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip. Thanks to pretzelcity for including this in the Support Your Team BIF.

Appearance: Pours an amber copper color, with a full, creamy, off-white head. Great retention, and sticky lacing all over the side of the glass.

Smell: Great, full hop aroma. The smooth citrus notes are well balanced with some tingly pine. Grapefruit and orange rind provide the fullest part of the aroma.

Taste: The full hop flavor is in control the whole time, but it does allow the malt to provide a good foil up front. Caramel bready malt provides a sweet base for the juicy hops to explode on the palette. Grapefruit and orange provide the most pop, and the pine notes add another level of complexity.

Mouthfeel: Nearly silky smooth, there is a slight graininess, but nothing that takes away from each sip. The generous hop flavors and full malt bill contribute to a fuller than average body. Bigger than a regular IPA, smaller than a DIPA.

Drinkability: This is a well-balanced, full IPA with a great hop bill. I wish I had access to this more often.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company