AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,279 | Reviews: 1,177
4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Darker, flat gold in color. Pours with a rocky, slightly yellow-tinted head that leaves a large amount of lacing. Good retention.

S: Rather aromatic, but also very simplistic. Mostly citrus and pine with a bit of sweet malt.

T: Lots of grapefruit, but only a moderate bitterness. Some pine as well with a slight residual sweetness.

M: Medium in body with appropriate carbonation. Feels clean.

D: A very well made, balanced IPA. And while I would classify this as a "session" beer, it is very approachable and fits well to style. Easy drinking for any IPA fan.

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance -- Pours a luminescent orange, mild haze catching light, with a slim sudsy head. Beautiful hue, head needs fixing.

Smell -- Big grapefruit, pine sap, mild tropical fruit aromas, dash of caramel malt. Beautiful.

Taste -- Sticky, decadent hops. Massive citrus with orange zest and grapefruit, apricot, and a deep and ever-present wall of resiny bitterness. Malts are fairly underplayed and gently sweet, akin to birthday cake. Long finish of orange zest and resin.

Mouthfeel -- Medium in body with an abundance of tight, prickly carbonation. A little sharp on the tongue, but it definitely makes the hop flavors come alive.

Drinkability -- Wow. This was really f*cking good. Far exceeded my high expectations. The hop flavor is so deep and vibrant that one would be forgiven if they mistook this as a highly drinkable IIPA. Top-tier for certain, possibly my favorite American IPA to date.

3.6/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Received this fantastic Extra courtesy of . Thank you so much! Can't believe I waited this long to pop it. Poured into a nice twelve ounce HopLeaf pint glass and enjoyed profusely.

A- Tad bit less than I was expecting for a head. The crisp white miniature bubbles dissipated too quick until I was left with a few lilly pads and a layer of pond scum to view. Decent blood orange tints to an otherwise moderate amber body. Solid thick mountains of lacing always can be found around the rim of my glass.

S- Definite notes of pine and citrus. The citrus is of the grapefruit persuasion, of course. A cleanliness exists on the aroma. The ending is like a breath of fresh air. There isn't much to describe something like that, but a definite feeling occurs.

T- Pretty light on all notes here. The finish is the most easily identifiable characteristic to bring up. It is a light take on an IPA. Bitter pine resins tingle all over the palate hitting bitter receptors. The alcohol actually comes forward to give a interesting combination. Both hit upon bitter notes, but each one is unique and separate from each other.

If you let this fluid linger around the oral cavity, the alcohol finally becomes apparent. Its almost like a dilute spirit in its incarnation. Spicy, bland, and astringent. Good thing for me I enjoy these flavors for what they are.

The last flavor I must comment on is the opening. Its a malty piece of fruit. Very heavy on how it hinders the sweetness to come out, leaving you with what citrus bread would taste like.

M- Full bodied, noticeable tingles, and definitely lingering. These hops find nooks and crannies that most beers pass up. Its foolish, why would I ever lick that location? and than I did... Clever, girl.

D- Without a doubt I would drink this again. It is a starter IPA. It has everything you like about an IPA, and very little of the distracting factors. I'd love to bring this to an 'introductory' craft beer night, but alas I don't have easy access to this beer. The alcohol doesn't detract, the flavors are enjoyable for the most part, and the aroma lacks. Overall, good not great.

Appearance - Thick, cloudy orange with a big head that went down slowly.

Smell - Sharp, piney hops with a light malt balance.

Taste - The malt comes out more in the taste. It's almost like a bread flavor. The hops dominate, although they taste more complex than I picked up at the nose.

Mouthfeel - There's some good, foamy carbonation to this medium-bodied IPA.

Drinkability - This one is very smooth, almost light. The 7.25 ABV is unnoticable. If you like your IPAs smooth and even (as opposed to hairy and over-the-top) give this one a shot if you can find it.

4.64/5  rDev +9.2%

Delicious. Pours a clea ramber, with a 1 1/2 finger off white head that had solid retention. slight bit of lacing. Smells of tropical fruits and citrus, bigtime notes of both of those. Reminds me of nelson.

Taste also reminds me of nelson a bit, but I think I liked nelson a bit more. Big notes of tropical fruit, citrus, grapefruit, pine, and floral notes. Tiny bready malt base is barely noticeable. Very good. One of my favorite ipas. Extremely drinkable. Prickly carbonation, with a nice medium body.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

I had to go to a dog bar in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and overpay for this. I waited for the bottle to stop smelling like dander and then popped it. Gotta say, better head than most women I've been with (is that joke old yet?). Even after I capped it and came back to it. It's also the perfect post-work drink, though not a sessioner. Call me a fan, cuz this one's complete. Wish we had it in the area, and especially wish we had it on tap.

In appearance it's a bit orange peeping through the amber, and a little cloudy. Medium body that I really enjoy as it goes down (that's what she said?). The smell is a nice hoppy aroma, bit of citrus, not too exceptional for me though. Taste is quality, reminds me of Stone's stuff. Just plain well-built. Does the hops right, and there are lots of them.

Not my style, but from the citrus start to the lingering bitter finish, this one can please any IPA lover.

4.02/5  rDev -5.4%

Super bubbly head fades slowly, with large puffy lace chunks over the cloudy golden amber brew. Aroma is pine and grapefruit hops. Taste is moderately sweet maltiness upfront, with plenty of hops on the tail end, but nothing overpowering, which is cool. Mouthfeel is somewhat bubbly, but still smooth, and drinking is nice.

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

This IPA is exceptional.

a - wonderful light orange color with great carbonation bubbles and thick head.

s - great citrus hops and a faint malt

t - Wow, this one tastes like a perfect IPA to me. The hops and malts are perfectly balanced.

m - awesome. just right in my opinion

d - this one is a home run. I can get this locally and would drink it anytime I can afford to pick up a bomber.

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Touch of apricot, tangerines, and grass on the nose; herbal and fruity yet muted for an IPA. Cloudy, orange/light brown body that produces very little head.

Oily mouthfeel, with a light caramel malt finish. More fruity grass flavors than standard Columbus/Cascade West Coast hop flavors which I feel is a pleasant change of pace. Carbonation is a little lower than other IPAs which makes this beer a bit more creamy; but I like it! A more pronounced malt character is also noticeable in this beer yet it doesn't shift attention away from the hop flavors of grilled pineapple and papayas, and herbal/spicy accents.

As far as the drinkability is concerned with this beer...to steal an Alesmith phrase...Yeah, it's pretty awesome.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Acquired in a trade with mulletgrab...thanks!

A - pours a clear, bright orange with a small white head.

S - loads of piney and citrusy hops.

T - Citrus with a great piney aftertaste. Hops dominate here. Not much malt here...hops rule!

D - very drinkable...another IPA I could drink any day of the year. This one is exceptional.

I would definitely seek this beer out if I could buy it locally. I love it!!

3.68/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving type - Bottle

APpearance - Very golden yellow, Huge 2 inch very white creamy head!

Smell - Hops, malts, citrus and fruis. Some spices like corrander and some mild alcohol

Taste - Well the beer is strong for a ipa. Bitter grapefruit is present but the hops are dominate, with a hint of alcohol. Almost smokey flavor malts. I get a very mild grapefruit / orange aftertaste mixed with alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Strong and bold, warms the mouth up, and leaves a alcohol and hop flavor for awhile. Doesnt wreck the palette or tounge. The longer i left in mouth, the more the alcohol came through.

Drinkabilty - Not bad, wish it had more fruit and malt taste to it. The hops and alcohol come through to much. This 22 oz is more then enough for me.

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

22oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. Thanks to domtronzero for the trade!

(A)- Pours a hazy orange color that produced a great white colored foam head that stuck around for awhile. Left some stringy lace behind.

(S)- A fresh burst of a lemon,pineapple, and grapefruit citrus with a light woody pine finish.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. A great citrus and pine profile with just the right amount of sweetness at the end. A crisp and refreshing persona and just a joy to consume.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. A great combo of dry pine and citrus bite with just the right amount of bitterness for the style.

(D)- A fantastic IPA that is just a joy to drink. Exactly what one should expect from the style. This would be a regular in my fridge if it were distributed here.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

This is my 1st Alesmith product and I got it in a trade from MaxStout. Thank you!

A friend was supposed to join me tonight to split this, but plans fell through. I wish he could have made it. Don't get me wrong - it will be no problem for me to finish this bomber on my own (the ABV is not that high), but it's much more fun to share a legendary brew like this with someone who knows the beer culture, and has fun (like I do) interpreting the brewer's intentions.

I now have a bunch of these Alesmith products, so I guess I need to get used to the wax surrounded cap/neck huh?

A: Cloudy golden (almost amber-ish) color with a generous amount of carbonation and 1/2 inch head. Very standard for the style, yet still gorgeous. I love the foaminess - and there is plenty!

S: Grapefruit, caramel, pine, and with a malty orange-like backbone.

T: Surprisingly, not that bitter (ala Stone "Ruination"), and I've got to admit that on my very first sip, I was a bit let down. Subsequent sips (actually gulps) there is tons of taste, the carbonation level is great, and the malt is definitely there (despite what others have stated on previous reviews). This beverage reminds me a bit of Founders Dry-Hopped Pale Ale (only I know it's not dry hopped) only this is more extreme. Very balanced.

D: Although I'm sure many will disagree, but I actually think this resembles an English IPA in its lack of upfront bitterness and its "malt before tongue-bruising" way. I respect that.

Overall: Does it deserve a place in the top 100? It's totally a flawless beer, but I still think ones such as Bell's Two-Hearted, FFF Dreadnaught, and a few others more memorable. I think it still does....but I might have put it a bit lower in the rankings....my two cents.

NOTE AFTER SAMPLING FOR A BIT: Is this thing unfiltered? The foam never stopped throughout my entire session and the glass now looks like it went through a car wash on max setting. Maybe that's part of its charm.

3.63/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a standard pint glass.

Pours a very yellow, hazy color with a slight orange tinge and a big eggshell colored head. Fantastic lacing down the glass. The aroma is very acidic with a grapefruit spike upfront and a rotten orange juice type aroma. The flavor is very Citric and bitter. The malt backbone isn't really there to support this style of hopping. Not bad, just not balanced. The mouthfeel is creamy and modestly carbonated. Really dry finish with fruity esters in the forefront. Drinkability is right up there with my favorite ipas. The flavor and intensity makes this stand out from many ipas.

4.02/5  rDev -5.4%

A: thin off-white foam head, a translucent golden bronze.

S: hops! very fresh, can almost taste the bitterness.

T: not as hoppy as the smell would suggest, but a blast of lemon first hits the taste buds along with grapefruit and other citrusy goodness.

MF/D: very fine bubbles that do not underscore the taste.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Sampled on 8-29-10

Pours a slightly hazy orange color, with a few white bubbles for a head. Lacing is sparse, but hick and sticky. Intense looking.

Smell is all sweet and floral hops, light and almost subtle. Enjoyable, with aromas of citrus and soapy pine. Not overly complex, but well balanced.

Taste is little earthy, with the citrus hop flavors coming in next. The middle has a nice malt thickness, with a sharp citrus hop finish. The aftertaste is bitter but good, with a lemon flavor that lingers on.

Mouthfeel is good, just the right thickness and carbonation to accent the hoppy goodness.

Drinkability is very good, the hoppy flavors and balance are a great combo.

Overall, a very good and almost sessionable IPA. I wish I could get it around here.

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured into the Sam Adams perfect pint from a 22oz bottle.

A - Nice straw golden color with slight orange hues and a thin .25 inch head that is white and has some dense and some medium sized bubbles. Good retention and some nice sticky lacing.

S - Aroma is very much a west coast grapefruit aroma with nice flowery scents. Nice grapefruit sweetness that is very inviting. Some slight honey aroma as well and a slight bready backbone.

T - Starts off a bit slow for an IPA. The bready and grainy malt is up front first which is a welcoming change and puts an interesting twist on the overall flavor profile of this beer. The malt aspect is very delicious with some fresh baked bread notes as well as some nut-like hints. Then a nice grapefruit sweetness with nice citric flavors. The hop character is very delicious and well represented with great grassy flavors.

M & D - Nice crisp and refreshing. Straight foreword but well done. Very refreshing and drinkable. Good balance and good ABV makes this a very drinkable brew.

3.92/5  rDev -7.8%

Tasting notes from 8/23/10
Thanks to djmichaelk for this bottle!

No freshness date on the bottle, which always annoys me, especially with a bomber.

Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Light orange colour, slightly hazy with one finger of thick bubbly white head.

S - The nose is full of bitter juicy citrus hops that have grapefruit and tangerine notes. There is a light malt presence in the background contributing some sweetness to the nose.

T - A good balance of bitter hops and sweet malts. The hops don't have the robust citrus taste that the nose indicated. There is citrus there, along with some pine but specific tastes (ie: the grapefruit and tangerine in the nose) are not discernible. The malts are very evident in the taste, much more so than they are in the nose, and the significantly sweeten up the bitter hops. At times the hops merely seem to contribute bitterness and not much flavour.

M - Medium body, some decent chew, lightly carbonated

D - A very good IPA but didn't meet my expectations. I would like to try this again as I wonder about the freshness of the bottle.

3.66/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- A slightly hazy, rich orange copper color with a creamy bone white head that has some good retention.

S- The oranges hit first, followed by the grass and pine along with a caramel malt backing swirling around in there too. Smells nice, but it takes some work to really pick it apart.

T- Oranges and pine with some grass and a sweetish malt backing.

M- Smooth carbonation, with a lasting bitterness. A little astringent on the finish.

D- For the alcohol content, this drinks rather nicely. Not really my favorite take on the style, but I can see why this is a hit.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

The IPA appears a medium bodied orange color with a thin white layer of foam.

It smells strongly of grapefruit, lemon, and oranges. It also smells slightly herbal. There is malt caramel sweetness to the smell as well.

The taste starts with an orange like flavor that progress into a grapefruit bitterness. The citrus bitterness progresses into a more standard bitterness. A bittersweet citrus flavor appears in the aftertaste.

The carbonation is moderately low.

The drinkability is pretty good but it is a little too heavy to drink a lot of them.

Overall this is a very good complex IPA that is worth trying.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

08/11/10- Had a 750 mL bottle of this.
A: Crisp amber with a nice white head that sticks.
S: Nice hops character in front of white bread; cheesy fresh leafy hops, slightly sweet, relatively mild, smells almost like dry malt. Nice.
T: Cheesy, spicy (cinnamon), almost dry, similar to aroma. The hops aren't overwhelming.
M: Nice; not syrupy with a good frothy carbonation.
D: Really good.

This one lives up to its expectations. It's a very well-rounded IPA.

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

A - Poured into a tulip this beer produces a massive 3 finger off-white head. The retention on this one is incredible and just sits there. The beer is hazy and burnt orange in color.

S - First thing I noticed when pouring was the nose, it's hard to avoid. It's full of tropical fruit, citrus and lemon notes. There is a slight sweet malt presence throughout.

M - Medium in body with active carbonation.

T - Bready and sweet caramel malts up front followed quickly by citrus and lemon. It has a grassy hops bitterness in the finish, which doesn't really linger. The alcohol content is well hidden.

This huge IPA drinks almost too easily. It's got a great hop combination and the malts prevent it from being overbearingly bitter. This is a fine example of an American IPA.

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

Sent to me by a very generous TrebleStauter a couple of days ago...

A- Pours a hazy golden yellow color with a finger of thick, creamy white head. Great head retention and excellent apatterings of lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Very hoppy with just a touch of sweetness. Definitely a West Coast IPA. Mixed aromas of earthy and citrusy hops, earthy ones seem to be more prevalent. Pretty inviting.

T- Very good. Not much sweetness to it, just bitter hops, the way it should be from the West Coast. Once again, earthy hops dominate but hints of citrus fruits come through as well.

M- Smooth, light/medium body, very bubbly.

D- Very drinkable. An excellent summer beer and one of the best IPA's I've had. I still prefer Furious, maybe even Two Hearted just because of the price. A solid IPA though.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Hazy light copper with a just barely off white head. Top is a bit foamy and drops to a bit more than a top covering - looks like its going no where. Perfect lacing, head holds up.

Smell: Great medly of pine and citrus. A faint backing of grain and biscuit. Very enticing.

Taste: Pine upfront with a bit of a citrus twang rounding it out and holding on the tongue. In west coast fashion the hops are slick and oily and there is a distinct lack of caramel malts. A bit of grain in the background, but this is about the hops.

Mouthfeel: Almost a 5...

Drinkability: Ranks up there with some of my favorite IPA's, and maybe my favorite west coast example. I picture drinking this way too often if it was around my part of the country.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

A- Nice golden color, snowcapped ivory-white head, sticky icky lacing that is pretty thick. Great IPA appearance.

S- Piny hops, a bit of grapefruit. Pine resin is pretty potent.

T- Very slight hop taste that lingers long after the taste.

M- Great mouth and bitterness from the hops but not the best.

D- Ranks right up there with my favs from Alesmith.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company