AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith IPA Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Pretty darn good beer at a very reasonable rate. I like the amber color and the good sized head produced in the glass. Remnants of the yeast from the bottle conditioning is left in the bottle and some falls into the glass. This beer is hoppy without overdoing it. It is definitely a beer that will go well with food and not be overly filling. I didn't find this to be quite as bitter or floral as other IPA's that I've had, but I don't mean that as a criticism. This beer is definitely approachable and friendly.

3.99/5  rDev -6.1%

I ended up with yet another bottle of this brew and decided it was time to rate it this time. This IPA is one of the better ones I've had. It pours slightly darker than golden, but with a slight haze (probably because of the bottle-conditioning), and with a minimal head...but one that persists until the last drop. I would call it attractive. The aroma is good with some nice hops, yet there's a bit of something else (slightly tart/almost stinky) I'm not a huge fan of. I've had the same thing in some other beers too, and I don't think it's a flaw. I guess it's just some characteristic from ingredients and/or the brewing process I don't find especially pleasing. I do like the flavor more than the aroma. A clean, malty flavor provides the basic background for the hops to shine. I'm guessing there's a mix of hops used here...quite possibly some various C-hops. The finish is fairly dry with a lingering hop flavor and bitterness. Right now, I'm being reminded of Bear Republic's Racer 5 (which I also like...especially fresh on tap.) In the end, I recommend Alesmith IPA and wish it and the rest of Alesmith's lineup were available back here in the SE.

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance - Pours a beautiful orange that was slightly cloudy. The further I got to the bottom the more yeast i got which is sort of what i was aiming for here. Lots of head with the initial pour which was rather slow and mostly down the middle.

Smell - Between the initial pop of the cap to the pour, the smell was HUGE. Mostly citrus. The scent alone set my standard for this big IPA.

Taste / Mouthfeel - Although more carbonated than most IPAs I drink, they tickle the toubue with flavor. a slight swish in the mouth releases everything. The malts really balance the hops and took away the hop bitterness although the hops are very much there, trust me.

Drinkability - This IPA reminds me of many IIPA's I drink although smoother. Very easy going and could even be a session IPA (if you love your hops!). The alcohol was well hidden although it will creep up on you.

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a snifter from a 22 oz bottle.

A - Tangerine color with a beautiful fluffy 2 finger head. The head has some staying power. You can scoop it of teh top like cotton candy. Only more delicious.

S - Big huge aroma of citrus & pine hop goodness. This smells like a huge Imperial IPA. A good one.

T - Fresh squeezed tart grapefruit, lemon/lime peel, earthy pine character. Some bready caramel like malt flavors in front as well make this a fantastic tasting IPA.

M - Sticky. Is that a mouthfeel characteristic? If it isn't it should be. Silky feel with a dry hoppy finish.

D - Good. Line em up. I'll be here as long as they're available.

This is tastier than many IIPAs as far as hop character goes. Of any brew that is called a standard IPA, this is my favorite. Is San Diego style IPA an official style yet?

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

A rocky bubbled three finger off white head easily creeps to the top edge of the glass. All kinds of lace is left as it fades. Body is a very nice amber orange in color. The hops on the nose are really big and meaty with tones of pickled beef, pine, and dandilions. With first sip you get a distinct balance of crisp grassy hops and mineral based malt. This beer has a very woodsy feel to it with raw oakey tones. Lengthy bitter feel on the back of the tongue is very piney based. Minerals are spread throughout by the malt. Alchol is nowhere in the taste but it warms the belly well for 7.25%. Mouthfeel is a clean sweet bitter thickness. Very nicely drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

The AleSmith IPA pours a clear light autumn orange with a massive pillow head and some wicked lacing. It had a good 2-3 finger head and some good retention. Very nice looking brew.

The aroma is a lovely hop smell which is euphoric. It was nice and citrusy and had a pine and grapefruit to it. You also got the malt through the nose. Solid dankness.

The taste was very good. The bitterness slapped you and then the malt balanced you out, then the bitterness came back around to put you in shape. The malts have a caramel breadiness to them.

In the mouth is was smooth with some semi chewiness in the finish. It was pretty balanced and had a little less IBU's for what I have come to expect with the American IPA. It left some bitterness on the tongue.

Overall just another reason to go and visit San Diego. It was more malty that what I am used to but an excellent performance.

22oz bottle bought at Southbay Pharmacy

A: It was in a dark bottle, I have had this beer n a glass before and it has a nice light copper color.
S: It has a wonderfully grapefruit citrus smell to it, I also have a cold so please do not make fun of my adjectives.
T,M&D: This is one of my favorite IPA's in the workd for smoothness and drinkibility, at 7.25% it is not overly strong but you know the alcohol is there. Steller IPA and I will continue to buy this beer.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance- Gold color, nice white head and descent lacing

Smell- PINE, citrus(grapefruit)

Taste- Bitter hops and alcohol. Pine resin really comes through as well.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with medium carbonation

Overall- Great hoppy beer. For those that really enjoy hoppy they'll enjoy this one.

A - This beer poured a golden/cloudy color with a frothy white head.

S - The aroma was definitely hoppy! Grapefruit, citrus, and pine notes were apparent.

T - Bitter. Some grapefruit was perceptible, but it was bitter at the beginning and finished bitter as well - but it somehow works.

M - Medium and holds up well.

D - Excellent for a bold hoppy IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

What a strong yet inviting IPA! On the bottle they say IPA stands for "It's Pretty Awsome" and I fully agree. This IPA has a consistent orangish gold hue throughout the beer. This beer has a strong, fresh citrus-like aroma that gives you a hint of what you will be getting into.
The taste begins with a fresh, strong, hoppy, blast, but when the end is near it is cut with almost a lemon/lime cooling effect that nullifies the any bitter after-taste.

This beer is powerful and strong yet very refreshing and easy to drink. I recomend this beer to any IPA lover.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very nice, somewhat hazy (not that I mind) dark/blood orange with a large semi-rocky white head. The head deserves its own sentence: its lush, small bubbles pile on top of the beer and never leave, amazing head retention all the way till the end, leaving behind plenty of lacing. Very impressive.

Nose is floral and citrusy, all hops. Could be a little more fragrant, but nice.

Taste is smooth with distinct hoppiness up front and a more pronounced bite in the back of the mouth. There must be Cascade hops in there. A very nice bitterness lingers.

Mouthfeel is lush and velvety, coats the tongue and hits the back of the mouth full on. The bottle conditioning is apparent here.

In terms of drinkability, at 7.25% this delicious and exceptionally well-made beer is not something you could knock back all night, but that's clearly not the idea. This is an excellent beer to be enjoyed with some spicy Thai food or sipped on its own by those who cherish well-crafted IPAs.

4.74/5  rDev +11.5%

Received in a trade from lagadeer.

Beautiful hazy orange with massive, thick off white head that never goes away and laces wonderfully down the glass.

Smells like hop nirvana. Big punch of juicy hops followed by resiny pine. This is as close to perfect as an IPA can be. I wish I smelled this good. A compliment of malt does waff through on the second or third takes.

Taste is what unbelivalbe. Juicy hops are the front followed by the piney resin. The malts fill out the bill leaving nothing more to want. Feel is very good and leaves a nice aftertaste on the palate.

I can't pick a favorite IPA, it's like picking a favorite kid, but for today this is it. I know I am gushing over this, but it is that good. I would love more of this beer. If I were out west this would be a fridge staple.

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a really deep golden with a fluffy white head. Nose is heavy on pine with a malty backbone. Taste is very good, not quite stone, though. Pretty smooth and refreshing. I little overbittered perhaps, but still a nice and piney/sweet IPA. Top notch!

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

Received from Stubone in trade. Thank you.

This IPA pours a cloudy copper color with a bit of spent yeast floating in my glass topped off with a full three fingers worth of slightly off-white head. This beer left ribbons of lacing around the walls of my pint glass. As a hop-head I love smelling this beer. The hops are very fresh and vibrant with strong scents of citrus fruit and pine underpinned by a subtle soft earthiness as well, and I personally think one of the best American IPA noses you will find. The flavor profile first brings on the rush from all of those hops with flavors of orange rind, pineapple, sticky pine needles, and ripe grapefruit, but as the beer warms a bit I get more of the sweet caramel base to round everything out. I do get a bit of alcohol in the flavor as well, but that is fairly muted compared to the hops and malt. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and super smooth going down with no astringency and the alcohol that was present in the flavor was gone in the mouthfeel. The drinkability is superb on this beer and even at 7.75% I would have multiple offerings of this beer.

Anyone else want to trade for some of this? Just let me know. This beer was fantastic.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received this brew in a recent package as an extra from 0110x011. This will officially be my 2nd AleSmith brew. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- Pours a nice hay yellowish orange with terrific clarity and a giant two finger bright white head. The cap and collar never seem to recede to anything smaller than a half finger and more lacing is left than I knew was possible. I can count every drink I've taken from the rings left down the side of the glass. Beautiful!
Smell- From opening the bottle I was bombarded with a raw piney blast of hops. Full of citrus goodness that reeks of pineapple, mango and pithy grapefruit. Even hints of freshly sliced green apple waft in the background. Very feint brown sugar sweetness is detectable once the brew warms a bit. Very earthy and nice with subtle hints of alcohol every now and again.
Taste- Starts with a brash bitter kick to the mouth. Citrus is clearly the culprit that like the nose is full of pineapple and grapefruit. Orange and lemon zest add a bit more of that rabid hop bite before a nice flux of malty goodness steps in to balance things out a bit. Warm and lightly sweet the caramel malt is in the perfect position of helping to keep the hops at bay but still allowing them to be the focal point. Seems to get a bit sweeter as it warms and I actually like it a bit more. Semi bready, semi sweet, mostly bitter this is a damn tasty IPA.
Mouthfeel- Slick and oily with a medium crisp body and light zesty carbonation that is ultra fine. A slight bit of warming toward the finish.
Drinkability- The other night (a week ago actually) I had a Sculpin IPA and although it was decent, I was expecting a lot more. Turns out what I was expecting was AleSmith IPA. This is a terrific beer that although I wouldn't describe as balanced, it's not over the top and has that terrifically fruity hoppiness that I enjoy. Big thanks to Matt for his generosity!

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

A: Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Pours a copper orange with thick slightly off white head that leaves plenty of lacing along the side of the glass.

S: More citrus hops seem to be in the forefront with piney hops in the background. Grapefruit and earthy tones are also detected.

T: The piney hops rush up in the taste of this beer and create a very calm bitterness. The fruity flavors give this beer some sweetness, while the hops make it more powerful throughout. It's an odd teetering between an AIPA and IIPA. Very interesting and deep taste that makes me think about one of those styles with every sip.

F: Medium body, with not a large amount of carbonation.

D: A fine drink from AleSmith. The dynamic taste made this drink disappear faster and faster from my glass. A very good IPA overall and would definitely have again.

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

It pours a slightly hazy and amply carbonated honey golden amber. A full finger of pithy off-white head sustains ably. Paisley lacing op-arts the inside of the glass.

In the aroma fruity sweet toasted pale malt is softly bussed by a gracious tingle of floral hops as well as muted citrus. Pine and alcohol flit about at the periphery.

Upon sipping, toasted malt is quite sweet with caramel and juicy berry. Just before it's crisped, the sweetness is briefly cotton candy. The hops then assert proportionately with creamy mandarin orange, dry grapefruit, and sappy pine. The alcohol is quite temperate. Baked dough and a measure of residual sugar are crisped by a finish that builds gradually to a just-so bitterness. It's an artful, balanced blending of enticing elements.

Medium bodied, it has a feathery, rounded effect on the palate, flowing like spicy cream, and it dries to a clean glow.

The individual components speak to great quality, but it's the seemingly effortless balance it achieves that steps out and wows the senses. It doesn't strive for complexity but rather for blissful blending. The ABV is a non-issue despite a buzz of warmth, because this drinks dreamily as a matter of course. This one will never spend much time in my DBF. I get it, I drink it, I love it. Talk about a simple equation.

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

22oz growler from bgthang.
Poured into a pint glass.

Poured a light amber / dark golden color. 1 finger head that dissipated quickly.
Aroma: floral hops , some citrus.
Taste: well balanced, not much hop bite .
Mouthfeel: good
Drinkability: very good.
A very nice IPA. not my favorite but on my short list. I would buy more of this if readily available.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle purchased for $5.69 on 5-16-8 at Tanasbourne Haggen.

This beer pours a cloudy golden color with a very quick rising head that displays great retention while leaving behind thick splotches of lacing.

The aroma features orange zest, pineapple, pine needles, spicy cannabis and light alcohol. Just an overall very bright hop presence.

The taste is top notch as far as IPA's go. All my favorite hop characteristics can be found in abundance here. Bitterness is dialed in perfectly.

Overall, this might be my favorite IPA.

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

From a great-looking bomber pours a great-looking beer. This is a really pretty IPA. Very clear, copper color. It has a precious metal look to it. Excellent creamy, foamy head. Lots of lacing. The previous reviewer called this beer velvety, which I agree with. The persistent head adds to that.

Upon uncapping, aromas immediately streamed out before even pouring. This is one of those beers you can smell from a few feet away. Really nice aromatic hops. I notice mandarins, nectarine, pine resin... all very sweet and nectar-like. Normally I'd want more malt smells to come through, but I'm perfectly happy smelling this hop flower.

Taste is excellent. Here the malts show themselves, but not after a first rush of the sweet, aromatic hops. They move aside and mingle with the substantial, caramel and bready malts. Appropriate but in-control bittering hops round out the long finish. Wow, I'm really enjoying this beer, and it's not just because I had a long day.

Mouthfeel is so creamy, smooth and velvety. Perfect for this beer, in my opinion.

This is such a good, well rounded IPA. Highly recommended. I need to try more AleSmith beers now.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear reddish gold with 2 fingers of just the slightest off-white head. The retention is fantastic, with at least a good 1/2 finger of creamy foam left behind with produces big sticky hop lacing. The aroma is ahhh...West Coast awesomeness right up my nose! Fresh pine, grapefruits, spice, and sweet backing malts.

The taste is more of the same. Biting (but not overly so) resinous hop bitterness and zesty citrus that is backed by a solid backbone of bready caramel malt sweetness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth and velvety feel down the throat.

This is a great representation of what San Diego has to offer. A delicious flavor profile mixed with one fantastic drinkable package. I would love for this to be my go to IPA. Great stuff!

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Pours a nice tan color with a slight chill-haze. Head is white and about one finger but doesn't last. lacing is merely okay.

S - Hops at the front but not overpowering. Citrus and slight cat pee (not necessarily a bad thing).

T - As with the aroma the hops are the story here. Grapefruit and orange peel followed by a nice bitterness. The finish lingers on.

M - Medium bodied but the carbonation takes it. Small bubbles tingle on the tongue and add to the experience.

D - Very quafable. If only this was available locally!

All in all a fine example of the American IPA. Certainly not a session beer but easy to drink.

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to t0rin0 for this one...

Clear amber in color, huge, thick white head. Leaves tons of lacing. Great retention.

Smell is earthy, citrus hops-grapefruit, orange. Some light caramelly malts. Hint of spice.

Taste- exactly what I like in an IPA! Bitter, citrus hops, earthy, sweet malts. Creamy mouthfeel. Alcohol comes through a little as it warms, but it is a light, very welcome presence.

Excellent example of an IPA, I finished the bomber and still could've had more.

3.45/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a hazy amber color with a huge foamy off-white head. Great retention and plenty of lace.

Aroma is delicious. A nice hoppy nose showing big citrus notes, pine, and a little spiciness.

The taste is a bit of a let down. It's alcoholy, and a bitter hoppiness exists but is missing the familiar hop profiles I've come to expect and love. The beer does grow on you. Citrus starts to come through with a great bitterness. I'm really disappointed, and starting to wonder if this was sitting on the shelf too long because I can't see why this is a top 100 brew.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and properly carbonated.

Drinkability is moderate. Relatively high alcohol limits consumption as well as subpar flavors.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

seaoflament hooked me up with this one as a bonus in a recent trade. huge thanks carlos!

22oz bottle. sampled may 2/08.

pours deep orange, nearly red in the center, with a small dense cream coloured head. the head drops fairly quick to a fine layer on top and leaves tons of lace behind.

aroma is great. grapefruit and pine. bit of alcohol. slightly powdery hops. big bread and cracker malts. touch of orange and tangerine.

mmmm, taste is excellent. solid hoppy punch up front - grapefruit mostly, and a bit of pine. fades into a bit of alcohol, then the big bread and cracker malt. finishes with a solid medium bitterness level. bit of tangerine. light caramel sweetness. slightly floral hops too, but never getting perfumey.

mouthfeel is excellent. just below medium carbonation level. great medium body. slightly drying hop presence.

drinkability is great. this is one top notch ipa - and that's saying a lot with the number out there. perfectly balanced. great malt depth. interesting hop presence. it'd be drinking this all the time were it available locally.

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company