AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of AleSmith IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,379 | Reviews: 1,195
3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a nice murky burnt orange to copper color, nice and cloudy with a good sized off white light tan head. Nice citrusy hop aroma, grapefruit with a little lemony tanginess, tangerine and a little trpoical mango aroma there as well. Citrusy hoppiness comes thru well in the taste with a soft candy like malty sweetness behind balancing it. A hint of warming alcohol becomes evident as the beer approaches room temp. Light to medium in body with a bite of alcohol and hoppiness in the finish, a delayed dryness on the tongue. Good solid IPA, may not be the best I've had but definitely a fine example.

3.97/5  rDev -6.6%

Originally sampled 19 July 2002. Alesmith's IPA is hazy golden colored with a creamy white head. It has a nice up front hoppy taste w/ a clean finish. Once again, Alesmith has produced a very good brew. Alesmith's IPA has the taste & quality that's right up there w/ the best of them

3.97/5  rDev -6.6%

This is a good IPA. Personally I don't see what all the hype is, surrounding this beer. Just another IPA to me, but to each his own. I am still anticipating the rest of the generous AleSmith offerings that were delivered to me this afternoon courtesy of BA dogfooddog.

The beer pours to a hazy peach color with very little head. No retention. Has a velvety looking carbonation when the glass is tilted back. I would expect a little more clarity and head from an IPA, particularly such a critically acclaimed one. Leaves a thin soapy lacing, despite an utter lack of head.

The aroma is pungent with hops. Piney and grapefruity. Strong malty backbone as well. Has a bit of an alcohol burn to the nose as well.

The taste is good. Has a mishmash of different hops flavors. Flowery, citric, piney, and herbal. The malt flavor is also quite strong. This beer seems much stronger than it really is, though not to say it isn't strong by any means. The bitterness hits up front with an intense rush of flavor, but it doesn't linger as much as the sweetness from the malt, interestingly enough.

It's a good IPA, though not one of my favorites. I would pick one of my local midwestern IPA's, such as Alpha King, any day.

3.97/5  rDev -6.6%

Grabbed a bomber of this today at the local liquor store, trying out all the IPAs I can get my hands on. Poured into a pint glass of two servings.

Appearance: Nice, golden amber color with about three fingers of head. Looks pretty average, with the lacing about standard as well, but color and head looking healthy.

Smell: Very citrus-y, with floral hops and light apple. Gave a nice aroma, with even hop and malt available immediately.

Taste: I wish the taste was a little more like the nose. The hops are present in citrus-y and even form with the hops, but the taste isn't as big as I was hoping from the nose. In comparison to other IPAs I've had recently (like Stone or Green Flash) it's just a little light in the complexity department. That's not to say it's not tasty, just a little less than the aforementioned beers.

Mouthfeel: Here, it's on par with just about everything I've had. Resiny, with a smooth yet crispy finish yields a nice texture post-swallow.

Drinkability: Pretty solid. I drank the bomber without really thinking about the amount and it was gone pretty quickly. Could drink again, but for a more complex flavor, I'd go for Green Flash or Stone's IPAs.

3.96/5  rDev -6.8%

Bomber acquired from LongBeachHopHead via trade...thanks!

A: Very nice pour. This beer is a translucent dark copper-orange color with some dark red/brown undertones. A big fluffy white head topped off the impression.

S: Not overly aromatic, but what's there is grapefruit/orange hops. It is a lighter, refreshing IPA aroma.

T: I get the impression that this beer was made with a many different hop varieties, as the taste is not as easy to pin down as the aroma was. Clean tasting and essentially unadulterated hops.

M: Medium boby and carbonation, cleans the palate and leaves a lasting bitterness in the back.

D: Very drinkable, especially with food. I imagine this would go well with just about any food (right now it is but a sad plate of chicken nuggets and texas toast...but at least the texas toast was made from scratch haha).

A very good, straightforward IPA. An excellent mouthfeel and crisp hop flavors.

3.96/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Second 22oz from Half Time. The first I had probably over a year ago. This bottle is a bit older so the hops are faded somewhat, and it has carbonated much more since.

Looks good...cloudy light brown. good stiff head.

light citrus/floral hop odor. was much stronger when fresh.

taste is quality...robust hops, with a touch of darkness. light on the palate, but the hop bitterness is strong.

mouthfeel suffers from the increased carbonation.

strong, flavorful, drinkability is reasonable. but a palate wrecker.

a famous IPA that is very good if you can get it fresh.

3.96/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured with a nice, large, cream colored, foamy, frothy head that lasts a while and lace. Color is a rich, medium amber with a few bubble trails. Aroma is big hop, pine, citrus, malt and a bit of old leather. Flavor is like nose and richer with just enough sweetness to balance the hops and carbonic acid. Body is very good and so is carbonation; both just right for this beer. Finish is like flavor, slowly tapering with good length and a little alcohol at the end. I would have rated it better but for its grapefruit characeteristics which I'm not all that fond of.

3.96/5  rDev -6.8%

A nice cali local thanks xraided81. Rapid pour into a snifter yields no head but a decent light amber color. Smells like a pale ale with cascade hops and bread. Taste follows with some peppery cracker malts, beautiful medium hop bitterness, a tad bit of sourness and a faint smokes meat presence. Finishing very clean with some citrus in the after taste. Mouthfeel is great light weight crisp and clean. Overall a good solid IPA but overrated.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a hazy golden with a very nice layer of head sitting on top. Nice lacing as well.

Smells of both hops and malts. Possibly Saaz Hops. Not 100% sure on that one.

Taste was slightly nutty, with some hops. I would expect more hops out of any IPA. They just weren't there for me.

Very solid mouth feel.

I could drink a bottle or two of this on occasion, not something I would drink night in and night out.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

22oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass...

Almost a grapefruit juice orange/reddish color, pale and somewhat hazy...a few fingers of pillowy soft white head forms and sticks around for a while, leaving some good lacing on the way down...

First thing that hit my nose was grapefruit, a very sweet, tropical/citrus fruit hop aroma, thick and sticky...becomes slightly piny the more I smell...

Nicely balanced, more malt upfront than expected, sweet and full, really offsets the abundance of citrus hops...overall a sweet beer as the hops never become overly bitter...as the brew warms the beer does start to dry out, becoming slightly piny and bitter as I drink...

Medium bodied, pretty smooth/slick, less carbonated on the tongue than most other IPA's...for me, I prefer a more bubbly, tingly IPA to a slick one, but this was by no means bad...

Pretty good IPA overall, the feel was a little off to me and the malt maybe a tad bit too forward, but overall I enjoyed this beer and would definitely give it another go in the future...

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

I had to go to a dog bar in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and overpay for this. I waited for the bottle to stop smelling like dander and then popped it. Gotta say, better head than most women I've been with (is that joke old yet?). Even after I capped it and came back to it. It's also the perfect post-work drink, though not a sessioner. Call me a fan, cuz this one's complete. Wish we had it in the area, and especially wish we had it on tap.

In appearance it's a bit orange peeping through the amber, and a little cloudy. Medium body that I really enjoy as it goes down (that's what she said?). The smell is a nice hoppy aroma, bit of citrus, not too exceptional for me though. Taste is quality, reminds me of Stone's stuff. Just plain well-built. Does the hops right, and there are lots of them.

Not my style, but from the citrus start to the lingering bitter finish, this one can please any IPA lover.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 3.5

From a bomber purchased at Julio's, Alesmith IPA pours an effervescent light-amber. A ridiculous head fills half of my glass: rocky, clingy, sticky and beautiful.

Aroma is straight up pine juice. I feel like someone just threw a handful of dried fresh hops in my face.

Flavor is super dry and bitter. I can see how this is one of the most well-regarded IPAs, because it's so stylistically accurate. Completely attenuated, with no real hint of malt. There is something sweetly citrusy about the hop flavor at first, but the finish is utterly dry and herbal. Just fantastic.

Here's my problem with this beer: it's way too carbonated. You really have to wait it out until the bubbles reach a drinkable level. Once this happens, you're golden. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but I feel like if I'm paying 8 bucks for a bomber, this beer should be perfect. Then again, maybe what Alesmith intended was an American IPA more bubbly than Duvel.

Great stuff. I really want to have a less-carbonated version sometime, be it on-tap or in the bottle.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

bottle into a tulip glass

a: deep honey color, reddish orange. non-existent head with a single thin lace that happened to appear as I held up the glass to look at the color better.

s: subdued grapefruit/citrus. slight resin

t: medium body, light carb. not assertive at the front, but leaves with a distinct lingering bitterness. light on the maltiness

o: decent beer, but lacking some of the sweet counter-point to the hop profile.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a hazy amber with a white head. Not much retention. Second glass is full of brewer's yeast that never settles in the base of my glass.

Lots of hops. Nose of predominantly citrus with pine way back there.

Nice and crisp classic american IPA but lacks the in your face finish I love in Dreadnaught (my fav Amer IPA). Still a great beer at a fair price. I drink this one fairly often.

3.94/5  rDev -7.3%

22 oz bottle. Pours hazy orange with tall, long lasting, fluffy white head and nice lacing. Aroma is of citrusy hops, tropical fruit and caramel malt. Body is full and tangy. Citrusy and piney hops, alcohol, caramel and bready malt and ripe fruit fill the mouth. Finish is long, dry, and grapefruity. Excellent brew.

3.94/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Received in a trade with KevSal.

A: Yellow straw color. Fairly hazy. One finger head with decent retention and good lacing.

S: Citrus hops, grapefruit, apricot, pineapple, orange zest. Good bit of caramel malts coming through.

T: Slight caramel upfront. Then apricot, grapefruit, and pineapple flavors with a citrus hop bitterness. Not a huge bitterness. Caramel comes back to balance it out. Has a slight metallic taste in the middle.

M: Medium light body. Medium high carbonation. Crisp and very dry finish.

O: A good IPA. Not great at all but solid. Would buy again...if I could in my area.

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

This tastes a lot like stone brew offerings. I seriously think they use the same ingredients and have the same suppliers. This was just like stone. See my stone review if you want to know about this beer.

I love the taste of these and stone hops, but they can be a little harsher on the bitterness and a little harder to drink.

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

bomber into 2012 SAVOR tulip. no bottled on date.

A: hazy orange body. pale orange. large and small off white bubbles comprise a dense head. good retention and nice lacing.

S: citrus rinds. cantaloupe. earthy, green tea. enough malt to lend some sweet notes. reminds me a little of vanilla.

T: very fruity. a little minty even. certainly some kind of hop herbal-ness is definitely there. some yeasty esters show their head from sip to sip. i find some of the bitterness a little astringent, especially as it lingers into the finish.

M: ample carbonation, looks like this thing was bottle conditioned.

D: good, just not blown away. i wish this thing had a best before or bottled on date to give me a better idea of freshness. regardless, gotta go off of what i have in the glass and while this is certainly not a bad IPA, just not as great as what i would expect from a san diego brewery.

22 oz bottle purchased at BevMo San Luis Obispo
Looked good. Light orange with a big white frothy head that stayed longer than anticipated. Carbonation present throughout with lots of bubbles
Smelled good. Citrusy piney hops
Tasted good, Plenty of malt to accompany the heavy amount of hops
Mouthfeel was abit lacking for me. With the smell and taste, I expected a heavy feeliing to go along with it. But I was SLIGHTLY let down. Very slightly.
Drinkability wasn't super high as this was quite filling. A very good beer, but I thought it would be more.
Very good, recommended

Tasting notes from 8/23/10
Thanks to djmichaelk for this bottle!

No freshness date on the bottle, which always annoys me, especially with a bomber.

Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Light orange colour, slightly hazy with one finger of thick bubbly white head.

S - The nose is full of bitter juicy citrus hops that have grapefruit and tangerine notes. There is a light malt presence in the background contributing some sweetness to the nose.

T - A good balance of bitter hops and sweet malts. The hops don't have the robust citrus taste that the nose indicated. There is citrus there, along with some pine but specific tastes (ie: the grapefruit and tangerine in the nose) are not discernible. The malts are very evident in the taste, much more so than they are in the nose, and the significantly sweeten up the bitter hops. At times the hops merely seem to contribute bitterness and not much flavour.

M - Medium body, some decent chew, lightly carbonated

D - A very good IPA but didn't meet my expectations. I would like to try this again as I wonder about the freshness of the bottle.

3.92/5  rDev -7.8%

We pour a brew of reddish honey. It holds a one finger head, but this is brief. It is creamy and comes back with a quick swirl, leaving chunky, spotted lacing around the glass. An even haze appears throughout, with light flecks of sediment. Carbonation appears average. The aroma is resiny, with twigs and raw bark, earthy and grassy hops, and mineral and stone. Cherry and pear sweetness pierce the hops, with pales malts and hints of chocolate milk darkness on the far back. Our first impression is that there is nice leafiness and earth to the hop flavoring. As we sip, citrus and earth pour into our mouths. There is acid and lactics, mixing with muddy, pale, and chalky malts. Nothing really yet dominates. The middle moves with sweetness of white sugar, with more honey at the peak. A quick bitterness of dirty citric hop rind comes through, pulling us to the finish with mineral puckering sours, and pale malts to wash. The aftertastes breathes of very bitter, hollow hops, light florals, a faint chemically phenolic bite, and spice of booze. The body is medium, but the beer has a satisfying syrupy thickness, while the carbonation is stinging. There is soft slurp, froth, cream, and smack to each sip, with a drying astringent finish. Eventually the mouth is cooled, with a soft wetness. The abv is getting up there, and the beer drinks easily.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was how fresh and earthy everything was. The malts also showed an interesting variety in the nose, with a surprising darkness at times. The beer is ultimately very refreshing and nice to the style, but becomes a bit muddy through the flavoring and not as crisp due to the booziness at the end, which is otherwise well hidden.

3.92/5  rDev -7.8%

Bottle received from fatboyjim1 in a recent trade. Thanks!

Pours a cloudy dark gold with a good-sized white head on top. Retention was good, and it left some lacing webs on the glass. Smells of deep pine and citrus zest. Very sharp and resiny.

The mouth was a bit thinner than I expected. Could use a bit more carbonation play. This was a pretty bitter IPA. Plenty of citrus hop bitterness, but not as balanced out with malt sweetness as I would have liked. Finishes tart and perky. This is a good IPA, and I'm glad I traded for a few of these. Thanks again, Jim.

3.92/5  rDev -7.8%

Bomber poured into pint glass. Hazy, orange with chunky three finger head and moderate lacing.

Sweet hops jump out: orange, pineapple, with a dash of spice. Not much low end to this one in the malt department.

If you are looking for a bitter, west coast IPA look no further. The bitter-tart flavor lingers for quite some time. Mouthfeel leaves a pucker finish, pretty light.

Pretty easy to put down. Decent IPA but not overly impressed.

**edit - after letting the beer warm a bit - much better**

3.92/5  rDev -7.8%

this is a fresh bomber from cavax as an extra, thanks man, i split this with my gf

this is the second time ive had this beer and i feel fair to review it this time, this beer poured slowly was quite the foamy head gusher, lots of head with even the slowest pour, when i got the glass filled it had about a 2in frothy head. the beer itself is a solid cloudy dark amberish orange, it looks good. now on to my favorite part of this beer, the nose on this is all citrus and fruity. i get some grapefruit some pineapple some orange and some hop juice, not grassy. the flavors were kinda toned down from the nose but still tasty. the mouthfeel is very solid and a little heavier than some may expect. the carbonation isnt as jumpy as i was expecting, i guess it lost some of the zest in the beginning. overall this is a very good beer and i hear its pretty cheap in cali, you guys are so lucky, drinkability is very high, i could drink this all day and like i do stone. get some alesmith ipa its worth it.

3.91/5  rDev -8%

Pours a an attractive hazy, golden color. Lots of yeast floating toward the bottom--love that.

Aroma is actually faint. A lot fainter than I thought it'd be. After some agitation, I'm mostly picking up citrusy hops and the biscuity malt backbone.

Tastes...underwhelming. Actually, I should clarify by saying that I was prepared to be blown away. From what a lot of BA's say, this is second only to Pliny the Elder. Putting the hyperbole aside, it's a very well balanced brew. I like my IPA's to be a bit hoppier, but the grapefruity hops pair up very well with the biscuity malts. In fact, I'd say they match each other pretty perfectly. No overwhelming hop bite here.

Drinkibility is good. I actually plowed through the bomber I had. Not my favorite IPA, but it's very well crafted. I'd love to try this on tap.

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company