AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith IPAAleSmith IPA

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Reviews: 1,235 | Hads: 3,676

Subtle and understated - almost too understated. Pours a hazy golden with a slight head. The aroma is lovely and clean, with a strong lemon, like a great lemony cleanser. The flavor is clean, smooth, malty and deeply lemony, with a woody bitterness and a crisp lemon bitterness on the finish. There is a little carmelly malt in there, but the story is largely lemon. The mouthfeel is very slick with a tingly bitterness on the front of the mouth, which is unusual. The high abv is very well balanced.

A= The beer pours a nice looking light amber orange color with a small finger of head on it that holds nice retention and lacing on it. Maybe a little light in color.

S= Fruity smelling. I've been drinking a ton of Furious lately and this is soooo much fruitier. Mango and pineapple come through mostly with less of a "bitter" hop profile. Not much pine but there is a little ripe grapefruit in it.

T= The taste is again in the fruity hop category. Tastes candy like actually. Totally different spectrum than most bitter bombs I've had lately. This isn't nearly as bitter as most IPAs. Great mango and grapefruit flavor. Actually tastes a lot like biting into a nice ripe grapefruit.

M= This is the biggest problem for this beer. The mouth is super thin. The thinnest mouth I've ever had on an IPA.

D= The thin mouth makes me go for sips more often and the flavor doesn't linger long... Great flavor on this one no doubt. A tasty brew indeed. Worth seeking out and is on a totally different end of the spectrum from a bitter bomb so I would prolly buy this regularly if it were avalible to me.

Appearance: Tawny, clear orange with mesmerizing bubbles, which sneak up to form a big, foamy hump. The color of the head is kind of similar to flan... and it jiggles like flan, too.

Smell: An interesting salad of hops. Carrots on top of grapefruit with a pine needle garnish and a shake of powdered sugar. There is something in here that smells amazing, and I can't put my finger on it... I think it's the same thing I can't put my finger on in Old Rasputin. Perhaps some kind of hops? There seems to be a lot going on here.

Taste: Toasty malts and white grape juice underscore a very fruity, very bitter, hop character that reallly takes over mid-sip and will not relinquish its throne on your palate. Yum.

Mouthfeel: A bit syrupy. Could be better, but not bad.

Drinkability: This is a mighty fine beer, not quite sessionable due to the slightly higher ABV, but definitely goes down easy. Recommended.

AleSmith IPA poured into DFH Signature glass. No bottling date is present on the glass.

A: This one pours a cloudy orange amber. Half finger head that dissipates quickly. Sticky lacing in the glass. Good carbonation rolling off bottle of the glass.

S: Hmm, this smells different from last time trying. Might have lost freshness. Getting some fruity hops but the carmel malts come in a bit more than expected. Breadiness is evident.

T: Nice bitter bite on the tip of tongue. Rich malt smooths it out in the middle of the mouth. Nice rich close, which is very enjoyable.

M: Medium bodied.

O: a very solid offering from AleSmith. First IPA from them. I want to try another that might be a little fresher.

pours a cloudy apricot glazed amber with a quickly disappearing head..The aroma was extremely piney and had strong notes of wet freshly cut grass, grapefruit...starts with a nice balanced bitter grapefruit flavor, showing subtle piney notes but remaining quite balanced. I used to think this beer was more over the top, but its surprisingly balanced..maybe a tad bit too much...maybe....Alcohol is completely hidden though...and its not as sticky as some IPAs can be.

Bottle about 2 months old.

A: Pours a near translucent amber. Small, frothy banana cream-colored head sits atop a mass of tiny bubbles which leave horizontal lacing legs on the glass.

S: Sweet grapefruit citrus on the initial chilled pour with hints of fresh red ripe fruits in the background and maybe some pineapple. As it warms a bit, aromas of pine resin surface. Overall a sweet citrusy smell.

T: Predominately sweet bready malts up front, some citrus and then a a fragrant, almost pungent cross between floral and pine bitters on the finish. Lingering bitterness.

M: Good body...a bit slick and oily, moderate carbonation, tingly bubbles on the tongue.

D: Lots of bitterness going on here, but a really nice IPA. Drinkability is fairly good, though I'm not sure you'd want to pound these back one after another. This has nothing on Pliny's smoothness IMHO, which has a tad higher ABV.

Poured a deep gold with a huge chunky head, very inviting on this frigid night. Smell were sweet hops typical of you west coast IPA. Taste was better than I expected, the hops balance nicely with the malty finish. Thehigh ABV was masked bu the balance. This was a better than expected beer and would totaly pick this up again.

3.99/5  rDev -6.8%

I ended up with yet another bottle of this brew and decided it was time to rate it this time. This IPA is one of the better ones I've had. It pours slightly darker than golden, but with a slight haze (probably because of the bottle-conditioning), and with a minimal head...but one that persists until the last drop. I would call it attractive. The aroma is good with some nice hops, yet there's a bit of something else (slightly tart/almost stinky) I'm not a huge fan of. I've had the same thing in some other beers too, and I don't think it's a flaw. I guess it's just some characteristic from ingredients and/or the brewing process I don't find especially pleasing. I do like the flavor more than the aroma. A clean, malty flavor provides the basic background for the hops to shine. I'm guessing there's a mix of hops used here...quite possibly some various C-hops. The finish is fairly dry with a lingering hop flavor and bitterness. Right now, I'm being reminded of Bear Republic's Racer 5 (which I also like...especially fresh on tap.) In the end, I recommend Alesmith IPA and wish it and the rest of Alesmith's lineup were available back here in the SE.

AleSmith IPA
AleSmith Brewing Company
Style: American IPA
ABV: 7.25 %

Out of the bottle into a frosted glass.

A: Great color and a solid head.
S: Subtle smell that compliments the bold appearance.
T: Smooth at first with a slightly bitter aftertaste and nutty almost sunflower seed finish.
M&D: Goes down smooth and finishes without a harsh alcohol aftertaste despite it's high ABV%.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Bomber poured into a tumbler.. thanks to alexd3891 for the trade! Lots of live yeast in this one!

- Copper penny color, slightly cloudy.. nice finger of white head that goes quickly to a nice thin layer of lace all around.

- Strong aroma.. dark malts, caramel.. alcohol, and a bitter pine-like hop. Slightly floral.. smells balanced.

- Different from a lot of other IPA's.. a nice bright citrus flavor.. bit of pine.. smooth and sweet caramel malt backbone.. and very floral.

- A nice cool shock to the mouth.. little chewy, some resins leaving a bitter taste.

- Rather strong and warming.. but very drinkable. A good unique and original west coast IPA.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Appearance: Tight collar of foam on my 16 ounce Libbey straight-side glass. Copper colored with excellent clarity.

Aroma: Clean, crisp hoppy aroma associated with most quality IPA's. The nose is hops, whole hops, and nothing but the hops.

Taste: Very bright on the front of the tongue...a very smooth hop blend with a tight, dry finish.

Mouthfeel: A well balanced brew with the malt blend nicely complementing the hop mix...CO² is right at a perfect level.

Drinkability: A very nice session beer.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Pours a nice murky burnt orange to copper color, nice and cloudy with a good sized off white light tan head. Nice citrusy hop aroma, grapefruit with a little lemony tanginess, tangerine and a little trpoical mango aroma there as well. Citrusy hoppiness comes thru well in the taste with a soft candy like malty sweetness behind balancing it. A hint of warming alcohol becomes evident as the beer approaches room temp. Light to medium in body with a bite of alcohol and hoppiness in the finish, a delayed dryness on the tongue. Good solid IPA, may not be the best I've had but definitely a fine example.

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

Originally sampled 19 July 2002. Alesmith's IPA is hazy golden colored with a creamy white head. It has a nice up front hoppy taste w/ a clean finish. Once again, Alesmith has produced a very good brew. Alesmith's IPA has the taste & quality that's right up there w/ the best of them

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

This is a good IPA. Personally I don't see what all the hype is, surrounding this beer. Just another IPA to me, but to each his own. I am still anticipating the rest of the generous AleSmith offerings that were delivered to me this afternoon courtesy of BA dogfooddog.

The beer pours to a hazy peach color with very little head. No retention. Has a velvety looking carbonation when the glass is tilted back. I would expect a little more clarity and head from an IPA, particularly such a critically acclaimed one. Leaves a thin soapy lacing, despite an utter lack of head.

The aroma is pungent with hops. Piney and grapefruity. Strong malty backbone as well. Has a bit of an alcohol burn to the nose as well.

The taste is good. Has a mishmash of different hops flavors. Flowery, citric, piney, and herbal. The malt flavor is also quite strong. This beer seems much stronger than it really is, though not to say it isn't strong by any means. The bitterness hits up front with an intense rush of flavor, but it doesn't linger as much as the sweetness from the malt, interestingly enough.

It's a good IPA, though not one of my favorites. I would pick one of my local midwestern IPA's, such as Alpha King, any day.

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

Grabbed a bomber of this today at the local liquor store, trying out all the IPAs I can get my hands on. Poured into a pint glass of two servings.

Appearance: Nice, golden amber color with about three fingers of head. Looks pretty average, with the lacing about standard as well, but color and head looking healthy.

Smell: Very citrus-y, with floral hops and light apple. Gave a nice aroma, with even hop and malt available immediately.

Taste: I wish the taste was a little more like the nose. The hops are present in citrus-y and even form with the hops, but the taste isn't as big as I was hoping from the nose. In comparison to other IPAs I've had recently (like Stone or Green Flash) it's just a little light in the complexity department. That's not to say it's not tasty, just a little less than the aforementioned beers.

Mouthfeel: Here, it's on par with just about everything I've had. Resiny, with a smooth yet crispy finish yields a nice texture post-swallow.

Drinkability: Pretty solid. I drank the bomber without really thinking about the amount and it was gone pretty quickly. Could drink again, but for a more complex flavor, I'd go for Green Flash or Stone's IPAs.

3.96/5  rDev -7.5%

Bomber acquired from LongBeachHopHead via trade...thanks!

A: Very nice pour. This beer is a translucent dark copper-orange color with some dark red/brown undertones. A big fluffy white head topped off the impression.

S: Not overly aromatic, but what's there is grapefruit/orange hops. It is a lighter, refreshing IPA aroma.

T: I get the impression that this beer was made with a many different hop varieties, as the taste is not as easy to pin down as the aroma was. Clean tasting and essentially unadulterated hops.

M: Medium boby and carbonation, cleans the palate and leaves a lasting bitterness in the back.

D: Very drinkable, especially with food. I imagine this would go well with just about any food (right now it is but a sad plate of chicken nuggets and texas toast...but at least the texas toast was made from scratch haha).

A very good, straightforward IPA. An excellent mouthfeel and crisp hop flavors.

3.96/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Second 22oz from Half Time. The first I had probably over a year ago. This bottle is a bit older so the hops are faded somewhat, and it has carbonated much more since.

Looks good...cloudy light brown. good stiff head.

light citrus/floral hop odor. was much stronger when fresh.

taste is quality...robust hops, with a touch of darkness. light on the palate, but the hop bitterness is strong.

mouthfeel suffers from the increased carbonation.

strong, flavorful, drinkability is reasonable. but a palate wrecker.

a famous IPA that is very good if you can get it fresh.

3.96/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured with a nice, large, cream colored, foamy, frothy head that lasts a while and lace. Color is a rich, medium amber with a few bubble trails. Aroma is big hop, pine, citrus, malt and a bit of old leather. Flavor is like nose and richer with just enough sweetness to balance the hops and carbonic acid. Body is very good and so is carbonation; both just right for this beer. Finish is like flavor, slowly tapering with good length and a little alcohol at the end. I would have rated it better but for its grapefruit characeteristics which I'm not all that fond of.

3.96/5  rDev -7.5%

A nice cali local thanks xraided81. Rapid pour into a snifter yields no head but a decent light amber color. Smells like a pale ale with cascade hops and bread. Taste follows with some peppery cracker malts, beautiful medium hop bitterness, a tad bit of sourness and a faint smokes meat presence. Finishing very clean with some citrus in the after taste. Mouthfeel is great light weight crisp and clean. Overall a good solid IPA but overrated.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a hazy golden with a very nice layer of head sitting on top. Nice lacing as well.

Smells of both hops and malts. Possibly Saaz Hops. Not 100% sure on that one.

Taste was slightly nutty, with some hops. I would expect more hops out of any IPA. They just weren't there for me.

Very solid mouth feel.

I could drink a bottle or two of this on occasion, not something I would drink night in and night out.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

22oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass...

Almost a grapefruit juice orange/reddish color, pale and somewhat hazy...a few fingers of pillowy soft white head forms and sticks around for a while, leaving some good lacing on the way down...

First thing that hit my nose was grapefruit, a very sweet, tropical/citrus fruit hop aroma, thick and sticky...becomes slightly piny the more I smell...

Nicely balanced, more malt upfront than expected, sweet and full, really offsets the abundance of citrus hops...overall a sweet beer as the hops never become overly bitter...as the brew warms the beer does start to dry out, becoming slightly piny and bitter as I drink...

Medium bodied, pretty smooth/slick, less carbonated on the tongue than most other IPA's...for me, I prefer a more bubbly, tingly IPA to a slick one, but this was by no means bad...

Pretty good IPA overall, the feel was a little off to me and the malt maybe a tad bit too forward, but overall I enjoyed this beer and would definitely give it another go in the future...

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

I had to go to a dog bar in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and overpay for this. I waited for the bottle to stop smelling like dander and then popped it. Gotta say, better head than most women I've been with (is that joke old yet?). Even after I capped it and came back to it. It's also the perfect post-work drink, though not a sessioner. Call me a fan, cuz this one's complete. Wish we had it in the area, and especially wish we had it on tap.

In appearance it's a bit orange peeping through the amber, and a little cloudy. Medium body that I really enjoy as it goes down (that's what she said?). The smell is a nice hoppy aroma, bit of citrus, not too exceptional for me though. Taste is quality, reminds me of Stone's stuff. Just plain well-built. Does the hops right, and there are lots of them.

Not my style, but from the citrus start to the lingering bitter finish, this one can please any IPA lover.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

From yesterday.

Ah yes, one of the archetypal west coast IPAs is now available to me. I get lots of zippy grapefruit on the nose, alongside hints of pine and caramel. Letting it open up...now I'm getting tons of Cascade-esque floral notes. As much as I enjoy IPAs, many of them don't seem complex to me. Not this one, though! The flavor profile brings a lot of floral hoppiness...as well as a healthy bitterness. It finishes with some grapefruit rind. A touch of caramel malt balances things out some. It's a bit sweet in terms of feel, and that's perfect - it helps quell some of the sharpness present in some California IPAs (Stone IPA springs instantly to mind). This needs to be in six-packs, right now. Still, it's right up there with Sculpin as far as I'm concerned.

3.95/5: An impressive representation of the west-coast IPA archetype

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 3.5

From a bomber purchased at Julio's, Alesmith IPA pours an effervescent light-amber. A ridiculous head fills half of my glass: rocky, clingy, sticky and beautiful.

Aroma is straight up pine juice. I feel like someone just threw a handful of dried fresh hops in my face.

Flavor is super dry and bitter. I can see how this is one of the most well-regarded IPAs, because it's so stylistically accurate. Completely attenuated, with no real hint of malt. There is something sweetly citrusy about the hop flavor at first, but the finish is utterly dry and herbal. Just fantastic.

Here's my problem with this beer: it's way too carbonated. You really have to wait it out until the bubbles reach a drinkable level. Once this happens, you're golden. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but I feel like if I'm paying 8 bucks for a bomber, this beer should be perfect. Then again, maybe what Alesmith intended was an American IPA more bubbly than Duvel.

Great stuff. I really want to have a less-carbonated version sometime, be it on-tap or in the bottle.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

bottle into a tulip glass

a: deep honey color, reddish orange. non-existent head with a single thin lace that happened to appear as I held up the glass to look at the color better.

s: subdued grapefruit/citrus. slight resin

t: medium body, light carb. not assertive at the front, but leaves with a distinct lingering bitterness. light on the maltiness

o: decent beer, but lacking some of the sweet counter-point to the hop profile.

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company