AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Reviews: 1,193 | Hads: 3,443
3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

I’ve had my eye on this one for awhile and finally decided to give it a go.
Pours a golden amber with a nice quarter inch head. The frothiness sticks around and leaves plenty of lacing as you drink.
Smell isn’t really strong, but I get plenty of hops in the nose.
The taste is simply amazing. This is a very well rounded IPA. Plenty of hops, but balanced perfectly by the malt and alcohol. This is one of the best I’ve had. I would love to drink this on a regular basis.
Words can’t really explain how well this is melded together and how smooth of a IPA it is. If you have access to this beer, definitely pick it up. I know I’ll be frequenting this beer often. (670 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Obtained via Double Trouble BIF.

This beer is a nice orange with a thick white head. There is some lacing. The smell is sweet and citrusy. The taste is bitter and sweet. A good ipa. The mouthfeel is smooth and the abv is not evident at all. The drinkability is good as I am finishing the bomber with ease. I may try to obtain more of this in the future. (356 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

22 oz bottle. No bottling dates.

Orange-amber body, with a slight chill haze. Tiny white head that fizzes out quickly.

Loads of grapefruit hops on the nose. Some piney wood tones. Sweet malts, biscuity, and some brown sugar.

Restrained grapefruit sourness. Some floral tones. Biscuit malts mid-palate, with some caramel sweetness. Leads into a pine hop finish, with moderate bitterness. Crisp, with a decent amount of carbonation.

Above average IPA, and satisfying, but there's a lot more IPAs that I would choose over this. (528 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Thanks to my trustee Mark for this one. Poured out of a bomber into a pint mug. Nice copper orange color, clear, and good lacing and legs. Tiny bubbles percolate in this beauty and give off a nice aroma of pine, orange blossoms, and citrus.

Taste is very nice an balanced between hops, malt, citrus, and bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is just velvety with this beer and what I like best.

Overall another great west coast ipa. (422 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a medium amber with a frothy white head and a bit of chill haze. A thin film of foam persists. No lacing to speak of.

Smells tropical, like sweet pineapple and mango with pine and a whack of toffee and caramelized malts. Nice, but there's fairly dialed back hops presence compared to other top-tier IPAs.

It tastes overwhelmingly of pine bitterness with a weak malt presence that's almost lost amongst a cacophony of bitterness, but with every sip and as I acclimate to the bitterness, there's a powdery caramel malt sweetness that slowly rises to the fore until it finally rivals the hops. Feels like it's creeping into DIPA territory a little here, which almost seems like cheating. That said, it lacks the sort of complexity that I like in an IPA.

Mouthfeel is creamy, medium bodied with a crisp carbonation.

It's good. But for being in the top ten IPAs here, well, I guess I expected more in the aroma and more complexity in the hops. Maybe it suffers by comparison or from heightened expectations, but in all honesty and being 100% objective I've had at least a dozen IPAs I enjoyed more. Maybe it's not a super fresh bottle. Without the aid of a bottled on date I'll never know. I suspect the fact that it's something of an IPA+ or a DIPA- might skew things a little high. Meh. Whatever. I try not to think too much about arbitrarily generated letter grades and differing opinions on any given beer--that way lies madness. (1,438 characters)

Bottle@home

A: AMber color with a creamy head and lots of sticky lacing. Nice!

S: Hops, Citric notes, Pine, Caramel, Exotic fruit.

T: Grass, Citric notes, Exotic fruit, Caramel, Hay, Pine.

M: Nice bitterness but where is the malt body to back it up. Medium carbonation.

This is a very high rated IPA and i can't understand why. Maybe this bottle is too old or something but for me this is just a mediocre brew. (415 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

I bought a bottle of this while visiting San Diego. Brought it back to Florida to share with friends. It's an above average American IPA. I'd prefer a little more body than this beer has.

Its aroma is good, but my overall impression was "off" a little.

I guess I was hoping for more substance instead of simple bitterness and hop aroma. Check out my review of Rogue's Hop Heaven Ale for an example of what I'm looking for.

But now I look at this review and I feel that I'm being overly harsh. Make no mistake, this is a pretty good beer. There are better examples of the style out there, however. (608 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -13%

Pours a clear golden orange, with a thin off white head. Smells of orange peel and some caramel. The flavor begins with some grapefruit rind, then some light caramel, then some grain, and finishes with a weed, piney, herbal flavor. Good mouthfeel. Overall a good IPA. (267 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Looks like I bought an older bottle... lots of yeast sediment floating around.

A: Hazy copper with off-white head. Retention is good with a bit of spotted lacing.

S: Spicy hop, orange, some peach, and a good amount of sweet malt.

T: The age shows up here: has a good amount of caramel malt but the hop profile is lacking. A bit watery (no apparent flavor) around the middle. A touch (barely) of tangerine and some pine in the aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with medium full carbonation. Good dryness.

O: Wish they had some sort of dating information on the bottle. Still decent despite being an old bottle. (609 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Apricot-coloured, quite cloudy with a pearl, very, very thick head, webs out quite a lot, but retains very well indeed. Not much carbonation, but the head sticks its naked arse up at that and spreads its cheeks good and wide. Lacing is very nice and thick. Looks great.

Nose is sweet and fruit, very tropical with a tangy pineapple aroma, hints of passionfruit as well, but mostly a distinct American floral hop character, very fragrant and herbacious, with a slight lemon undertone? Great nose, very appealling.

Taste is quite bitter - hops in bitterness slightly overpower fruitiness, which is still there on the front, with a lemony, passionfruit flavour. This is unfortunately strangled by pleasant - it must be said - but very strong and pungent hops, a lot of Amarillo I would suspect. Palate seems a bit unbalanced, I'm afraid, with the bitter finish becoming more of a funky hang. A bit too dirty and organic to be cleansing, kind of taints your palate with this gritty bitterness. I hate to get hung up on the hang, because for the most part it's very well constructed, but that finish just overpowers.

Mouthfeel is nicely full, very smooth and goes down like a Geisha. Couldn't drink this every day, but quite nice anyway. (1,235 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a slightly chill hazed copper, with a huge pillowy white head. The persistent head leaves rings of lace all the way down the glass. Aroma is resiny, with grapefruit and pine dominating. Flavor is not at all what I was expecting based off of the aroma... begins with a clean malty sweetness, that quickly gives way to a hefty dose of grapefruit, then finishes with a spicy herbal bitterness. Mouthfeel is rough and oily, with a medium body. I think this one could use a little more malt balance, but nonetheless, it's a good IPA. (534 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours clear copper with a thick, frothy, stable head. Aroma is light fruit, citrus, pine, and earthy notes. Flavor brings a bit of a sticky, resiny hop flavor. The hops are slightly overdone, which compromises smoothness, leaving a bit of an astringent aftertaste. Though a tasty beer, this aspect does detract from drinkability. (329 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

poured a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass. The aroma was not overwheliming, faint citrus and a hint of pine I picked up. The color was a nice golden-orange, typical of this style. It's plenty bitter, with the lead taste of sweet caramel malt. The carbonation seems decent and teh small tan head stays around a while. I'd like to know if my bottle was fresh consider some of the ratings on this, as my rating would be a solid IPA, but nothing spectacular. (452 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours medium dark amber, nice head, nice lacing. Nose is big, lots of pronounced hops and malt. Starts pine and grapefruit, ends up with a nice malty background. Very well balanced with hop bitterness backed up by just the right amount of sweet, toasty, caramel malt. Mouthfeel is good, medium to full bodied for an IPA. Overall I'm a fan. Enjoyed this offering more than their DIPA. (383 characters)

02.06.10 at City Beer

A: clear yellow, with a fluffy head

S: exactly the a good IPA should smell, all pine-y and musky with fresh, bright citrus

T: even though it tastes the way it smells, there might be something missing, like that hoppy kick I love; or something slightly off, like the level of sweetness

M: nothing spectacular to call out, just medium-bodied, with the right amount of carbonation

D: it's pretty good, but definitely not the first IPA I'd reach for, though it's a solid choice when there's nothing else (526 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.5%

22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A---It poured a golden copper with a huge white head.

S---Fresh, floral, west coast hops and some wheat in the background.

T---Saltine cracker, grassy hop flavor and smooth bitterness. It finished warm with a little unfermented wort and oxidized aftertaste.

M---Medium-full bodied.

D---An average IPA in my opinion. I'm happy I got a chance to try it but it did not live up to the hype. (432 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Hooray! AleSmith offerings are now widely available in the Bay Area. I've only had Speedway Stout from them, so I was excited to see their SD twist on the West Coast IPA style. Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bottle. Freshness date is delightfully printed on the neck as "05/09/13," so literally bottled two months ago.

Pours a deep orange amber color complete with a ton of carbonation right off the bat. It leaves behind a head about 3-4 fingers high, which prompted me to suspect that this was bottle conditioned. If it is, I can barely tell. No substantial cloudiness (although it is a bit hazy), as well as no sediment to be found. Bubbles glide upwards from the glass's nucleation point, although the head and carbonation does die down, leaving behind cobwebby lacing all around throughout consumption. A classic West Coast appearance if I ever saw one. (Although, in the same vein of the appearance of Napa Cabernets, I really wish there'd be a more common twist on the style in midst of its sameness.)

The aroma smells already a little faded with age, although it still remains pretty dank and earthy. Huge notes of pine, almost to the point of overpowering everything else. Orange citrus rinds permeate, as well as a faded grapefruit bitterness. Pretty earthy and floral, but lacks diversity overall. The grains are chock-filled with toasted caramel bittered notes, which is nice. Booze, as always, is well hidden. Shows a lot of restraint, but probably is at its best while it is young and green. I enjoy its dankness, but it doesn't offer much else otherwise.

The flavor is a little bit more interesting, but at the same time it manages to only showcase huge dried citrus notes and pine atop deep caramel flavors. Slightly juicy, although far grainier and breadier than expected, making due with oily, resinous, dank dried hop pellet flavors. Slightly syrupy and caramel-y from the malts, to the point where they distract from the initial bitterness. Honey really abounds here, but it adds more charm to the beer. Not too many distinguishable fruits make due here - the pine could be toned down a bit. On the bright side, there's little extreme bittered astringency amidst the syrupy feel, and the generous carbonation prevents this from being thinned. Super drinkable, despite being simple in flavor, and slightly muted. Definitely not a chore to drink at all - only slightly underwhelming.

Not my favorite SD IPA - but no idea why as I've heard great things about this one. Nevertheless, it is very easy to drink, and paired excellently with zesty buttered fish and pesto ravioli tonight. Just like Sculpin, I will make it my goal to find this as fresh as possible, and then give it another chance. (2,721 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.7%

oured from the 22 oz bottle into a sam perfect pint. Pours a hazy orange with a huge pillowy head. Smell is a bit faint for what I was expecting. Some pine, but mostly bready malt. I get the feeling this is not the freshest Alesmith IPA. Taste is similar. Lots of caramel type malts, not enough hop slam for my taste. Very drinkable. Still a good beer, but with the recent onslaught of fresh CA ipa's - this one is average for me. (430 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14%

5/16/09 review from my notes.

A: Pours a rich golden yellow with a 2" off white custard head. Thick and creamy topping on a great looking glass of beer.

S: A rich citrus, piney hop aroma is released when you open the bottle and once in the glass that's all you can smell. Sweet grapefruit - fantastic smell.

T: Unfortunately the smell seems more powerful than the taste which seems a bit on the light side. There is a bit too much bitter at the end for my taste.

M: Also a bit lighter than expected but has great carbonation for the style.

O: Overall this is a good IPA but not the best. PtE has this beat on all accounts and for Alesmith I think that I prefer a fresh Winter Yulesmith - not sure why this one is rated higher? (733 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes.

Look: Very orange with a finger and a half of head. Not much lace.
Smell: Very sweet and floral with a hint of pine.
Taste: Citrus and herbal hops combine with a sweet malt background, simple but nice. Gets a bit better as it warms up slightly.
Mouth: Smooth, just a bit sticky in the finish.
Drink: I'd like to try it on tap, but not my favorite IPA. I bet if it were doubled it up it would probably make a real nice DIPA. (436 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14%

I've tried this one a couple times now just to make sure that I didn't agree with all these glowing reviews. So the beer poured a golden yellow color that was very clear and had a decent amount of white head. That head dissipated within a minute or so. Looks like a very refreshing beer in the pint glass.

The smell was also nice, as it was loaded with citrusy hops. The grapfruit smell really came out here. The only catch is that it was overpowered by the hops. There was no malt or anything else to be smelled here.

The same goes for the flavor. The hop portion was very nice and clean. The fruity flavors shown through but again, there was nothing else to the beer. Also, the bitterness was on the extreme end of the spectrum. Again, refreshing and pleasant but not very complex.

The body was thin and carbonated which goes along with what I've been saying. It was drinkable but in the sense that you have one while your watching football or grilling in the back yard. (975 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance: Hazy-dull-straw-yellow-gold, gets cloudy on the way down. Nice head and lacing

Smell: Hops - shocking, I know. Citrus, orange and grapefruit rind, apricot, pine resin, usual suspects. Tad bit of caramel maltiness. Looks like a few tiny hop floaters.

Taste: Similar to the smell - hops, citrus, orange and grapefruit rind, apricot, pine resin, caramel maltiness and a touch of sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Some body, but never huge. I would love to see more malt and body. Carbonation is well done.

Drinkability: This is decent, but a big disappointment after the shining star that is Alesmith Celebration Ale (617 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving type - Bottle

APpearance - Very golden yellow, Huge 2 inch very white creamy head!

Smell - Hops, malts, citrus and fruis. Some spices like corrander and some mild alcohol

Taste - Well the beer is strong for a ipa. Bitter grapefruit is present but the hops are dominate, with a hint of alcohol. Almost smokey flavor malts. I get a very mild grapefruit / orange aftertaste mixed with alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Strong and bold, warms the mouth up, and leaves a alcohol and hop flavor for awhile. Doesnt wreck the palette or tounge. The longer i left in mouth, the more the alcohol came through.

Drinkabilty - Not bad, wish it had more fruit and malt taste to it. The hops and alcohol come through to much. This 22 oz is more then enough for me. (749 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -14.7%

22oz bottle received in trade from TexIndy, thanks again for the opportunity.
Pours a couple of shades darker than lager with a 4 inch thick bubbly white head that persists forever. Loads of citrus and pine fill my nostrils, slightly spicy/earthy as well. Taste is mostly pine and citrus maybe some bread or caramel if I strain really really hard, but this one really is all about the hops. Long lingering hop bitterness in the finish. Carbonation is high, mouthfeel is sticky/resinous, body is medium. I'm torn, I really wanted to love this one, but I just don't. I find it over carbonated, one dimensional and a little boring. Maybe one day I can revisit this one on tap. (673 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a clear, light amber with a full white head.

The aroma is of sweet, pink grapefruit.

More grapefruit in the taste, supported by a clean grainy malt. Hop bitterness appears in the middle and lasts throughout. Aftertaste of tea leaves.

The beer is light, moderately carbonated, and has a dry finish.

I'm on the fence about this beer. There is a sweet grapefruit character in the beer that I really enjoy, but it needs more of a malt backbone. This is the first time I've had this beer. First impression is mediocre, but it's growing on me as I near the end of the 22oz. Could be the 7.25%ABV. (600 characters)

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company