AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Reviews: 1,187 | Hads: 3,422
4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

first off i love this beer. hands down one of my favorite ipas...ever. im surprised its taken me this long to review it.

pours into my new belgium snifter. a beautiful amber color. slightly hazy. a phenomenal two finger fluffy white head rises off this baby and sticks around long enough to make a lasting impression. when the head does fall it leaves a big amount of thick lacing all over my glass that clings till the end. now this is a good looking beer.

smell is hoppy cologne. im tempted to toss this on instead of deodorant. a complex dance of hops and malts.

taste kills me slowly with each sip. its so simple but so fucking complex. i get new layers of flavor each time i sip. pine, grapefruit zest, sweet malts. biscuty yum yums. god this beer is awesome. i think that beerfest put it best. "i want to put my dick in it- i want it to put its dick in me"

mouth is smoooth. bottle says velvety. they are not kidding. slightly oily, not a bad thing. the bitter biscut flavor lingers begging me to drink more.

i would sit in a bathtub of this if it wasnt a waste of a great beer. i dont know why this isnt higher up on the top 100. i think if it was harder to get (yearly release) this would be on the top ten easily. get it and drink it. you wont be sorry. (1,270 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Thanks to OstrungT for the bomber! I have protected this for several months and broke it out last night to share with a fellow homebrewer.

Pours slightly hazed peach/orange with a persistant creamy head. Aroma as dominate and pleasing as your going to find. Hop candy! On a par with 3F's Dreadnaught. Flavor is huge pine and citrus hops perfectly balanced by a massive and complex malt base that offers no turn offs. Alcohol is well hidden and offsets the sweet malts to offer drying as the bitterness lingers. I can't think of a way to improve this and expect the haze was a simple matter of a rough ride before the pour. (625 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

I bought 3 Bottles of Alesmith Beers this morning (when I see a range I don’t know, I always buy the lot – I don’t want to miss anything!). I got them from the same Store where I get my Stone Beers and the guy at the Counter “highly recommended” this. I’m really glad he did, because judging by the plain Bottle – I would have never gotten round to trying this I think. It comes in a very unassuming simple looking Brown 1 Pt 6 fl.oz. tall thin Bottle. And it just says simply Alesmith IPA on the body and just IPA on the neck in white transfer. The IPA letters on the body being at least 10 times bigger than the Alesmith name. I like the idea that the beer is more important than the Brewery-Kind of works for me. A mighty 7.25% ABV, so not really an afternoon beer, but shit, I couldn’t wait to try this. Pours with a huge foamy frothy head that reminded of bubble bath when I was a child! Laces the sides well with a map of the Universe. Nasal passages are assaulted by the Hop Special Forces, Hop Oils, and a pungent freshly harvested hoppy smell that reminded me of the square in Poperinge, Belgium during the Hop Festival. The very fresh hop harvest odour is gorgeous, Hopheads will love this. The beer itself was a hazy Golden color, the carbonation died down to reveal just a handful of bubble-lines that slowly and graciously rose vertically to the surface. This beer ROCKS!!. It is incredibly Hoppy at first, but not bitter, that comes later in a slowly lingering bitter finish. The delay of the bitterness cleverly gives you time to appreciate the Hops.
Another Cracker from San Diego;
.....are Alesmith and Stone BROTHERS I WONDER !!!
As the back of the Bottle says;
I Prefer Alesmith
Its Pretty Awesome.
Self deprecatingly understated - The Audi of IPA’s.
NOTE to Self:- STOP Judging Beers by the Bottle Design!!!!!!! (1,851 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: 22 oz bottle, no freshness dating or batch number. Pours and orange to copper color with a frothy off white head. Very nice lacing as the glass is tilted and nice head retention. As the head thins it leaves creamy smooth islands.

Smell: The complex hoppy nose is fabulous. It is spicy with pepper and cinnamon while still being piney and earthy. And on top of all of that there is a sweet citrusy component that smells strongly of tangerine. There is also a slightly toasted malt aroma and some dextrin scents.

Taste: There is sweetness that is dying to come out of this beer as it frist hits my tongue. The flavors in this beer are complex but none of them are raging and strong. Subtle and soft while still holding their ground. Citrusy sweet followed by a toasty malt and earthy, sandy, bitter hop combination. Earthy components are firm with clay, dry leaves, and lemon grass. Hop bitterness shows in the seconds quarter and then again in the last quarter. The combination is nice with orange, sweet, and honey flavors first and the second appearance holding a more earthy and dry character. The aftertaste has a toasted malt flavor that is more bold than expected and carries a rich nutty flavor (peanut and almond). The alcohol is completely hidden. The beer is juicy like no other with sweet pear and a clean water ending.

Mouthfeel: Velvety and smooth. None of the flavors are grating on the palate as is often the case with IPAs. Medium bodied with a slight stickiness and hop oiliness.

Drinkability: Lovely in every sense of the word. I like the balance of rich flavors without selling anything short. Smooth and tasty. The malt is toasty and hop flavors are bitter and complex. It doesn't get much better than this. (1,750 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Beer pours as dark yellow with a slight haze. Has a moderate white head and leaves a decent lacing on the sides of the glass. Nose is citrus and pine. There's an immediate hop flavor on the tongue. Tastes like orange and grapefruit, with a malt backbone that gives some hints of caramel. The hops definitely dominate over the malt, but there's enough there to bring some balance. Leaves a pleasant, non-astringent bitterness on the tongue. Has a medium full body with moderate-high carbonation.

This is one of my all time favorite IPAs and was actually my gateway beer into the world of IPAs. I had been away from it for some time, unable to find it at many places on the east coast, but managed to score one. I was not disappointed after not having it for so long! (775 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

A- About a 1/4"-1/2" tan head on a pretty darker orange body.
S- I am about 2 feet away from the beer and I can smell it. Really big pine and citrus hops. Pine come through quite a bit stronger than the citrus. Nice grapefruit and light orange in there too.
T- Big hop attack from the first sip. Really big pine and citrus hops (citrus kind of take a back seat to the pine). Nice size malt body for such a hoppy beer too. Light flavors of grapefruit make their way through the big pine flavor. About a medium to big bitterness is left on the tongue along with big pine flavors and light citrus fruits.
M- Low carbonation with a full body. I wish it had just a tad more carbonation.
D- Very nice IPA. I would like a bit more fruity flavors and a little bit more carbonation. Other than that this is a great IPA. Takes a nice spot up in some of my favorite beers. (865 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

A - Dark orange color. Thick, rocky, pillowy white head lasts and lasts. Sticky lacing everywhere. One of the prettiest heads I've ever seen. In fact, the haze is the only thng keeping this from being a perfect 5 looker.

S - Incredible hop bouquet. Grapefruit, tangerine, pine, grass, mint, and everything else hop wonderful. Some caramel sweetness and toasted grain aromas are in there, but this is pure hop poetry.

T - All flavors coalece much more effectively on the palate. Tropical fruit and caramel on the front end, with some biscuit and bread towards the middle. The citrus, pine and grass come on the back end, with a solid bitter bite. Finish is on the dry side.

M - Medium body. Soft, medium carbonation. Nice and bright.

D - This is a beer that never lasts long enough. I could drink it every day.

In my opinion, this is the king of California single IPAs. I have yet to try the famous Masala Mama, but for right now, this one is unmatched. (958 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Bottle Pours a hazy amber with a good off white frothy head. Good lasting with excellent lacing. Aroma is hoppy spruce with hints of leaves and molasses. Just about the perfect carbonation that a beer could be. Very smooth with a slight oily texture. Has a great duration with an excellent aftertaste. This has great blending. A wonderful IPA. It makes me want to move to California so I can get more of it. The only negative to this beer is that I can’t get it easily in Pennsylvania. Just awesome. (500 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Now this is an IPA! Like the bomber says, "It's Pretty Awesome!" I would replace "pretty" with exceptionally, though. Everything about this beer screams IPA at the top of its lungs!

I purchased AleSmith's IPA in the bomber format, chilled to the appropriate 45˚ and poured into a glass, making sure to leave a little in the bottom to accompany the yeast. The results: big, slightly off-white head, beautiful lacing, and a not-so-clear, bright orange. The aroma immediately punches the nose and satisfies every idea of what an IPA should be. The aroma is very bright and full of citrus.

Upon the first draft, my taste buds confirm what my nose was smelling! Hops explode into your mouth followed by a hint of malt. AleSmith has found a perfect balance here. The beer finishes at the perfect level of bitter with a small note of bitter. Left in my mouth was a perfect taste of the hops. There's a fair amount of carbonation to keep you on your toes.

For IPA fanatics, this beer could set the bar! There's not too much of anything nor is there too little. This is a very crips, drinkable beer.

For those not accustomed to IPAs, this would be a perfect starting point! (1,173 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A-Golden yellow with a nice white head that dissipates. Good strong lacing
S-Citrus, grapefruit, musty, floral, earthy and a hint of spice
M-Great body and higher end medium carbonation
T-Light sweetness, that then goes into a hoppiness of happy hop flavours. Smooth bitterness that lingers on the palate.
O-This is a beer I could drink daily. West Coast IPA all the way.
Highly recommend. (390 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14%

22 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
7.25%ABV, serve in a pint at 45-50°F

A - Steady carbonation streams through the vibrant golden beer to it's mountainous, rocky head. Impeccable retention coats the pint in thick lace as the foam glides down the pint.

S - First word that comes to mind? Orgasmic. Second? Hoppy. AleSmith IPA is bursting at the seams with tropical fruit and woodsy pine nuances, perfectly balanced by caramel and biscuit undertones. Could I say more? Sure, but I think five out of five for aroma says enough.

T - Citrus and pine complexities are showcased, flourishing with super high quality and lead wonderfully into the sticky pine resin finish that is balanced by gooey caramel malt and crunchy toasted English muffin.

M - AleSmith IPA maintains balance with hops and scores big time with malt flavor and integrity all while keeping a fairly light-bodied profile that finishes with exceptionally balanced dry hop bitterness.

O - Without a doubt AleSmith IPA is one of the greatest IPAs on the planet. It's explosive aroma transitions wonderfully into flavor without the insane bitterness one might expect from such a hop-forward beer. AleSmith IPa is truly a world-class beer to behold. (1,233 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14%

projectflam86 hooked this brew up. can't thank you enough Kyle!

A- lusicous and lasting creamy ivory cap that is so beautiful it shimmers like a halo over the slightly hazed golden body. some of the best retention i've seen on an IPA. this beer is a looker!

S - strong nose on the one too! huge whiffs of grapefruit, pinnapple, mango and lemon. juicy and resiney. this is a hop-heads wet dream.

T - again, juicy island/citrus fruits and sublime balancing act between the huge hop bill and the modest but flavorful malt.
this beer begins sweet, but it isn't for long because it turns into a samba of hops dancing on the tongue. exceptional flavor, not excessively bitter for the sake of bitter, like so many other IPA/DIPAs.

MF - sharply carbonated and chewy feel on this decent sized brew. hop oils are a little present and give a slight stickyness.

D - my burps remind me of what a wonderfully crafted beer I am consuming. I cannon get this here in Denver, so I am savoring all 22 ounces for all they are worth! (1,017 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Classic, silk-screened white lettering on a dark brown 'bomber' bottle. This is my first AleSmith beer and I'm expecting great things.

Slightly hazed, orangish peach that should become significantly more clouded on subsequent pours as the yeast find their way into the glass. The head is light toffee in color and is stiff, sticky and pitting. There's plenty of lace already and the cap has just begun to recede. Ultimately, the glass is coated with a huge amount of thick, chunky lace in rings and sheets.

The aroma is 'hop heaven'. Loads of citrusy hops are atomizing themselves purely for my olfactroy enjoyment and I couldn't be happier. Clouds of orange peel and grapefruit peel essence--along with fresh pine--fill the room. I can't imagine that this aroma could be improved upon.

The flavor is, in a word... fabulous. Massive quantities of citric hops must have been used in the brewing and it shows. In fact, AleSmith IPA strikes me as a 'tweener', a beer that occupies that fuzzy zone between the IPA and DIPA styles in terms of flavor, hoppiness and ABV. The initial impression is of a solid wall of juicy hops rolling across the tongue, followed by a glimmer of toasted malt that tries vainly, but ultimately in vain, to stand up to the resinous hop attack.

That's not to say that the flavor profile is overbalanced toward the hops, just that they're clearly in charge and both parties know it. The malt provides the sweet, cake-like underpinnings that allow the hops to run rampant and assault the tastebuds with some (minor) degree of restraint. A balancing act par excellence. I think it's pretty apparent by now that I truly love this beer, but let's continue.

The finish is a never-ending sweetsticky symphony of hops; again, tempered by the ever-present, but never intrusive, toasty caramel malt. The body is big, but not huge. This is no Dreadnaught, but I can't think of an IPA that has a creamier, silkier, smoother, bigger body. The alcohol is hidden exceedingly well. It's only evident in a slight warming (in my stomach and in my soul) as the bomber disappears.

Quality, quality, quality. AleSmith IPA is neck-and-neck with my favorite IPA/DIPAs so that any differences in score are trivial at best. It isn't available in this state, but it is available on-line so that I have a ready supply if I so choose. And believe me, I choose in a big way. If you love IPAs and haven't yet had AleSmith's inspired version, it's worth whatever effort and expense that is required. (2,512 characters)

Wow! What a beer...

I poured my bomber into the goblet twice, each time creating a nice, foamy head of about a finger's width... it was a hazy gold that eventually showed some residual yeast at the bottom of the glass.

The smell was incredible- vivid scents of fresh hops! Citrus, pine... somewhat floral...

I couldn't wait for the first sip- and it was everythign I'd hoped it'd be! I love IPAs, and this one is right up there with the best that I've had... just a great balance of malt and hops, a bit more on the hoppy side, but I love that! Absolutely refreshing and delicious!

the carbonation was nice in this one- the bubbles are finer, and as the bottle will tell you: the finer bubbles create more surface area for your tastebuds to get around... amazing! Smooth, medium bodied brew...

Very easy to put down the bomber- I was seriously savoring every gulp and eagerly taking the next... it was quickly consumed, and now I've poured a Sculpin to compare- and I'm sure it's going to be close!

Overall- definitely amongst my favortite IPAs to date! MY top 3 would have to be Sculpin, THIS, and Pliny the Elder (I know it's technically a DIPA)... truly an amazing brew that you should search out if you haven't had one! Delicious and refreshing! (1,255 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

Textbook west coast IPA, this is what I was looking for. Had a 22oz bottle while visiting San Diego at the Vine. What an IPA.

A: Thick tan head laid nicely on a hay yellow/orange amber. The retention was tight throughout and the stickiness was what this style asks for.

S: Pine hops with the citrus hops to even it out. Lets you know the hops are coming fast. The bitterness is striking to the back of the nose. Cant wait to dive in.

T: Hops and a little more hops. The citrus matched up with the woodsiness was measured nicely by the maltiness. The bitterness was sticky and oily but washed away nicely by the rest of the profile and the alcohol. What a great tasting IPA without having to be a double or imperial.

M: Oily stickiness with with a thick carbonated mouthfeel that was smooth as you could hope.

D: Cant complain about any part of this, and the ABV is perfect- lets you enjoy it with a hop complexity that is usually reserved for the bigger beers.

This is a must try and Ill be packing a few of these for the flight back. In terms of a single IPA, this one is right there with the two hearted in my opinion as versions that I cant get back home but would love to have on a daily basis. (1,204 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

Very balanced with a strong finish. This beer has a beautiful smell that is accompanied by a taste that resonates with the taste buds ever so gently. This beer makes me happier than a queer in boy town. (202 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Golden-orange hued brew topped with a massive head that stays quite well. Impressive. The aroma is of ultra-piney hops with an underlying sweetness of malt and a little vanilla. Again, impressive. Oh, the taste! What perfection! Very hoppy with the piney and bitter hops, but so malty smooth at the same time! Sweet cereal-with-sugar type maltiness, and vanilla once again. Malty smoothness is mostly in front, the hoppiness shows up best in the middle, and in the finish it goes back to the malt. Hops are a little leafy and resiny in the aftertaste, quite pleasant. Wow, I've been waiting for a very long time to sample AleSmith's beers, and it was well worth the wait. This is one of the very best IPAs out there. If it's available to you, get it! If it's not in your area, try the AleSmith site. Mmm... can't wait to get more! (830 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

The beer was poured into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a hazy coppery coloration. The beer has a honey white head. The head has great staying power during the drinking of said beer. Thick sheets of lacing remain behind on the glass.

Smell: The beer has a citrus zest and pine resin assault. There is a very nice sweet maltyness lurking under the surface of the smell.

Taste: Wow! This a very good tasting IPA. The beer has a great floral pine resin initial taste. This pineyness is elevated on a citrus zest and grapefruit juice boast. There is a very good caramel malty breadyness complementing the hops. The hops come back with a pleasing lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a medium body. The beer has a very creamy mouthfeel. The carbonation perfectly assist the smell and taste of the beer. The beer is a very execellent example of an IPA. The drinkability is high. The alcohol never plays much of a factor in the taste and smell. This may be the finest IPA I have ever partaken of. (1,034 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Served at fridge temperature, into a tulip.

Golden appearance with a frothy, sticky looking white head that has a great retention. Leaves a really nice lacing on the glass as well.

The smell is fantastic.. BIG, citrus and floral hoppiness with a resiny feel to it. As time goes on I think I'm getting some pine as well. Ultimate hop aroma. Maybe a slight bready pale malt in there but definitely a resiny, hop dominant nose.

Floral hops dominate the taste. Juicy, fruity flavors make their way through with orange and grapfruit dominating. Minor, bready pale malt makes its way through and adds to the complexity but in no way balances it, which is just fine. This beer is perfect as is, perfect hop flavor.

Smooth and silky body with a really sharp bitterness. It's not as resiny as the smell implyed but it leaves a dry bitterness at the end and the bitterness lingers and almost stings the back of your tounge. Although the bitterness lingers, it is still a crisp and clean beer.

This is an unbelievable beer. The epitome of what an IPA should be, pure hoppiness with very little malt interference. (1,107 characters)

22 ounce bottle.

A: Pours a hazy copper with a medium white head.

S: Quite subtle citrus flavors followed by a nice hop aroma.

T: This is where the beer gets its value: powerful citrus flavors dominate the palate with a crisp hop finish that doesn't linger too long.

M: Very smooth and well-carbonated.

D: Wow, one of the best IPA's I've ever tried, possibly beaten out only by Sculpin in flavor profile while a hair smoother than Two-Hearted. (448 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Simple yet attractive 22 oz’er declaring 7.5% ABV. The bottom is loaded with a bottle cap thickness of powder sediment yeast in the bottom.

First pour off lees is a golden cloudy peach loaded with rising champagne bubbles to a wispy frothy beige cap, leaving a dripping scattered lattice lace. Upped the AP to 4.5 after then second pour contained a statuesque spumescent gooey cratered surface of the moon countenance that included a plethora of scrod chunkers, 5. The lattice lace left behind was awesome.

Initial aroma of orange sherbert and syrupy sugary sweet. Quite mouth watering scents of citrus lemon peel and candy caramel apple. Second pour with the yeast released a more piney sappy aroma.

First swigs: Citrus grapefruit homerun! Unbridled grapefruit rhind and grapefruit lemon juice. Good. Tasty Pez candy chalky tight tartness. The balance is stupendous. A mindblowing feather of sweet caramel malt that puts the hops peddle to the metal. Aftertaste is a peppery lemon peel and Starburst candy. Second pour releases more of the acidic pine and orange citrus sizzle. (Note to self: Side by side Alesmith IPA vs. FFF DN.)

Sparkling crispness with firm dense carbonation, and some chalky mouth pucker. Thick settled medium body that just oozes with hoppy goodness.

Last swigs: The highlight of this bottle was the LAST pour with loads of flavor and gooey lip smackin’ hop smack. Hop heroin. I wish they all could be California IPAs! It might be their yeast strand that really allows those hops to shine. This IPA is such a blast of crisp hops, that doesn’t get muddled in a malt mud. That is why it is so good. This might be my best example of a true Am IPA. I flew back from Portland with about 20 bomber bottles of varied beers. They should have been all Alesmith IPAs. Why this isn’t cosidered a 2IPA is beyond me. It’s been a long time since a beer really excited me. (1,901 characters)

Thanks to jcwattsrugger -

22 oz. bomber -

Pours hazed orangeish deep gold with a thick foamy white head that sits beautifully atop the beer. Great head retention. Trailing lace slides down the glass with some stickage.

The smell is divine - and powerful - earthy, piney/resiny, slightly herbal with lemon zest and citrus - wow - what a hop-lover's dream of an aroma...I happily smelled the empty bottle awhile after it was finished...

The taste was hoppy - piney, earthy, citric, resiny with a caramelish/toffeish- malty background. Well-balanced for the style while allowing the hops, which were present, but with bitterness well-balanced, to come through well. Alcohol very well-covered with just a glimpse in the long finish.

Full-bodied, yet silky smooth.

Wonderful aroma with a hoppy, yet complex and balanced taste and oh so smooth...This is one of the best IPA's I've had, if not the best! Awesome hop profile and usage. (933 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a light, clear, gold color with about three fingers of white head with some nice lacing.

The smell is a real strong hop flavor. A pretty grassy hop flvor carries this beer from the start with a nice floral flavor.

The taste is, as expected, nice and hoppy with a real strong floral flavor. Some nice clove and citrus fruit flavors are set back after the first hits of hops has had their time on you taste buds.

The feel is pretty darn great. It has a light mouthfeel that goes down pretty darn easy and it just sweet to the taste buds. A great hop experience. (622 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

After trying this beer from a bottle, I couldn't imagine it could be any better on draught. I was wrong. The amazing smell and taste are still there, with hops, biscuit, and a host of other goodies swimming around. However, the mouthfeel on tap is simply amazing. Don't pass it up, whether it's in the bottle, on tap, or spilled on the floor by the person at the table next to you. (381 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

From the classy looking bottle in celebration of buying a house. Pours a nice gold with a pleasing puffy head. Super crisp piney aroma.

Started a little disappointing, I must admit. But as I drank, and as it warmed, it became apparant that this is an exceptional IPA. Very smooth, with a hearty and solid mouthfeel, this is a piney affair from nose to mouth. Left a ragged lace with some floaties. "it's piney, but mellow" as my wife put it. As it goes down, I wonder, is this the perfect IPA? (497 characters)

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company