AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Reviews: 1,189 | Hads: 3,427
3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours a slightly hazy dark golden color with no head. Looks still. Some spotty lacing does get left behind on the glass. Do not know what happened here.

Good hop aroma. About what I come to expect in a west coast IPA. Plenty of citrus and pine.

Flavor is mostly hops. I do get a little sweetness from the malt but it is quickly overtaken by the hop bitterness. Plenty of citrus. Bitterness is moderate.

Not surprising the mouthfeel was a letdown. Very little carbonation. The body would be good if it had something to lift it.

A bad bottle or it got damaged in shipping. The other Alesmith bottles were OK though. I noticed there was no yeast in the bottle. Looks like a bottle-conditioning foulup. I would be willing to give it another try as other reviewers have not had the same experience.

11/19/13
Alesmith is new to WI so it was time to revisit this beer. Bottled 10/22/13 so less than a month old. My major complaints about my previous experience with this beer have been addressed. Looks good and lively and the texture feels is excellent. I would give it solid 4s for every category. (1,098 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

I bought a bottle of this at a grocery store on a recent visit to San Francisco. Poured it into a stemmed glass the day I bought it. Overall this is one of the most hoppy beers I've had. Maybe even more hoppy than the Pliny.

A deep orange color with a medium size head. Aroma is very hoppy, with a strong citrus and some pine as well Flavor as well had a very strong hop presence, mostly citrus and not as well balanced as I would have liked it to be. I'll give this beer another chance but it was not my favorite IPA. (519 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

A beer in the top 50 that I don't have to send away for and is less than $10 a bottle? Sign me up!

Large, white, craggy head that is almost too big. Mildy hazy amber color.

Acidic pineapple and sharp pine aroma. Taste is sharp citrus rind and snappy light cracker malt--extremely biting. I know IPAs arent's supposed to be balanced, and West Coast ones even less so, but the hops are so sharp and the malt is so weak it's just downrght unpleasant I tell you. Tastes like a homebrew gone centennial crazy. Thin, bottle-conditioned smooth mouthfeel. (549 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

Darker amber color with loads of streaming bubbles. Half inch frothy head.
Not a real fregrant nose. Some sweet malts with very mild citrus hops. Somewhat bready nose captured for the most part.
After breaking through a frothy head, a melow cirtus hop flavor. Some sweetend barly breaks through with a semi-spicy alchol burn to finish.
Almost a medium body with sticky oily resins left in the mouth. Remains on tounge with alchol.
Respectable but not very impressive by a west coast IPA. Was very excited to see it back on the shelfs after what I was told to be "distrbution problem". Freshness is suspect here but really feels like lighting a firecracker and finding out its a dud. (682 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -21.2%

I Poured the bottle into a Imp pint glass and was greeted with a two finger cream colored heat that laced out well. The body of the brew was a hazy orange in color. The aromas of fresh oranges and grapefruits filled my head.
Flavor wise the brew leans more towards the hops than Malts which is what I expect from a Ca. IPA, but there was some malts so it was not what I consider a hop bomb. It was a good IPA. I don't know what the hype was all about. I had a rather fresh bottle and shipped in the winter so I would think it was a good one. Don't get me wrong I would drink it again I went down great but it was a rather average IPA to me (639 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured from a draft into a pint glass at Vine Cottage in La Mesa, Calif. Color was honey pale, kind of light. Light head once I got it, maybe ½ inches. Light bubbly lacing on the top. Circular white film on the sides.

Smelled citrus hops up front. Fairly hoppy. Main citrus notes were orange and tangerines.

Didn’t taste too much like the nose. Very bitter in the beginning. Grainy and earthy.

Medium body. Thick grainy texture. Average-to-above average (lively) carbonation. Bitter finish.

Not a bad beer, but a bit disappointing considering the look and smell. I thought about going higher on the sight, which may have led me to give it an overall rating of a 3.5. (676 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

hazy golden copper with an inch of bubbly white head. foam leaves chunks of lacing.

man, does this one smell great. piney hops and strong citrus in the aroma. touch of floral scents, and a sweet, almost peachy aroma.

taste not as great. has some balance at first; moist feel with a strong carbonation sting. pine is stronger in the flavor than in the aroma. touch of citrus in the taste, but not nearly as strong as in the aroma. any flavors are washed away by a massive, oily hop bitterness that coats the throat. overall the flavors are a bit harsh.

flavor needs a bit more nuance to make this one a top-notch ipa. appearance and aromas are great, but drinkability hurt by the lingering harsh bitterness. (755 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a hazy amber color with a huge foamy off-white head. Great retention and plenty of lace.

Aroma is delicious. A nice hoppy nose showing big citrus notes, pine, and a little spiciness.

The taste is a bit of a let down. It's alcoholy, and a bitter hoppiness exists but is missing the familiar hop profiles I've come to expect and love. The beer does grow on you. Citrus starts to come through with a great bitterness. I'm really disappointed, and starting to wonder if this was sitting on the shelf too long because I can't see why this is a top 100 brew.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and properly carbonated.

Drinkability is moderate. Relatively high alcohol limits consumption as well as subpar flavors. (711 characters)

7/22/06
I can't say this is one of my favorite IPA's, after having it for the first time.
On tap the Beer Hunter, Rancho Cucamonga, CA.
Appearance was good, a dark amber, some reddish orange in it, and the smell was very aromatic pine. However, the taste is ultimately what soured me. I get a huge sugary sweetness at the start fading to a nice hop bite afterward. The body seemed a little too heavy, and along with that sweetness at the front, just made it hard to get through that initial second of the sip.
4 / 4.5 / 3.5 / 3 / 3.5
___
6/30/07
On Tap at Lucky Balwin's Sierra Madre for IPA fest... either my tastes have changes so much, or it was much better here. The smell was very nice, as noted before.... but the taste was excellent, sweet, but overpowered more by bitterness and piney hop resin. Everything else was good, this is easily drinkable.
___
7/12/08
On tap at Lucky Baldwin's again. Had tried a bottled version a handful of months ago as well. I didn't enjoy either of these that much. The body is just too malty in my opinion and has a sweetness that doesn't blend well with the hops. (1,103 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

22oz bottle, unknown date.

Pours hazy orange/amber with a small bubbly white head that leaves good spotty lacing.

Aroma is some citrus (orange, grapefruit) and pine, some pineapple and tropical fruits, fair bit of caramel malt, a nice blend of sweet and citrus on the nose, moderate to good strength.

Flavor starts with pine and resinous hops, some delayed citrus of orange and grapefruit, caramel malt sweetness in the middle, moderate to good bitterness in the lingering finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and oily, medium carbonation.

I have a feeling this bottle may be a bit on the old side but I have absolutely no way of knowing since Alesmith doesn't provide a bottled on or best by date (or at least not one I could find). My first time with Alesmith IPA so I cannot compare to other bottles of this since it isn't available here. A good IPA, but would love to try a known fresh bottle someday. (913 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Bomber provided by nvsblman and shared with absolutesites on T-Day, 2005. Thanks for the opportunity! Pours a one finger nearly white head over a very cloudy light apricot colored liquid. Smells potently of grapefuit. Pithy, some pine, and a kind of driftwood dryness. Flavor is biting hop grapefruit with too much crystal malt. Disjointed. I don't know if age could bring the hops and sweet together. I think the hops would fall apart before the crystal malt settles. Well, shucks, I'm focusing on trash-talk when I've actually got a quality beer in my hand. It's enjoyable. Just not the soothing beverage I was hoping would add to the lull in my turkey-infused body. The hops leave the medium mouthfeel dry and the carbonation is medium. (739 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -18.4%

Thanks to goodspeed 94 for sending this on a cross-country trip, I've been looking forward to trying this IPA for a while. Into the breach we go.

Very pale for an IPA, with at least four cups of floaties suspended in the mix. Smell is pretty hoppy, but not as aggressive as I was expecting.

Hops are present & accounted for. Pretty good, but there's not much of a bite, it's more balanced than I prefer. Huh. I don't have much to say. Pretty good, easy to drink, but not really noteable in any way. (502 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -18.1%

22 oz. bomber (no freshness) into SN pint glass...had been waiting in vain to try this beer after about a week of going dry...

huge four fingers of sticky white head-great retention, massive pillowy yet rocky froth...hazy burnt yellow/orange body

STRONG citrus character with a giant hop presence...good malt backbone helps keep this floral boquet in check...sweet ass west coast aroma

bitter + bitter=unbalanced!! there is a sweetness near the finish, but the bitterness takes away from everything esle. there is some citrus with a strong hop presence but it quickly fades. it seems as if there is absolutely no malt backbone for it to stand on, which contradicts my thoughts on the nose...

a bit watery and low on carbonation, but just smooth enough to be average

the bitterness hurts but with no alcohol showing, it is a decent quaffer...

is this a good ipa? yeah... is it great? no...

there are a lot of things that have left me a bit befuddled by this beer, mainly the lack of yeast at the bottom of the bottle. either this was old (can't tell when it doesn't have any freshness markings that i can find) or i have started getting tougher on my IPAs. either way, i was expecting more...i will probably revisit this in the future to see if anything changes.

(i don't think Ben and I are drinking the same beer) (1,322 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -18.1%

Got this one at Julios...

A: The color is a golden honey color. When poured the head was about 4 finger widths high. Half was the beer and half was the head. Not my favorite because of the crazy head, but the color is awesome.

S: Complex scent going on. Can't put my finger on exactly what each scent is, but one of the scents almost smells like flowers.

T: Kind of a harsh taste up front. Very complex, but way too hoppy for me. Hard to get past the hoppiness.

M: Good carbonarion balance to this brew.

D: Tough for me to get past the hops. Too harsh for me making this brew a little tough to drink.

All in all, this one is a little overrated in my opinion. Not for me. It's good, but too harsh with the hops. (716 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -18.1%

I thought I would splurge and get a bottle of this IPA that I'd heard so much about. But frankly, I can't see what the big deal is. I drink better IPAs than this all the time.

The Alesmith IPA poured with a lot of head, but the body was cloudy. There's a lot of fresh flowery hops in the smell but the beer still tastes sweet. Not much balance really. And that's what lost me. I don't know what the IBU is but it doesn't hold the beer together.

This isn't a bad IPA, but it's over rated if you ask me. (505 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice honey hue with slight cloudiness and a nice bubbly head, almost too much head. It wasnt a creamy head, but light and fluffy. The smell was of hops and wintergreen pine and some other spices hiding in the background. First swig was a bit too hoppy and full for me, but as it warmed up towards the end of the large bottle the taste mellowed and didnt have a lot of bite like the first taste. Mouthfeel was not bad, a bit bubbly and spicey aftertaste. Overall a drinkable IPA, but I just got into this style so I am still doing a lot of tasting of them, however this is the mellowest so far of them and the one I would prefer to drink again. (643 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark honey amber color with a thick white and attractive head. Light fresh fruity hop nose. Nice bitter hop/grapefruit flavors with short fruit undertones. Short and a bit thin in the mouth, on flavor and in the finish. Nice but it "comes and goes" very quickly and is not as satisfying as it initially promises. (312 characters)

22oz bottle into a tulip

Fresh as it gets

A- Pours a beautifully clear golden copper orange with two fingers of bright white head that leaves glorious sticky lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Smells like a beautiful west coast IPA. Tons of pine and citrus notes as well as some grapefruit, tangerine, and some bready caramel from the malts.

T- Really smooth and clean. Up front the caramel sweet malts hit your tongue but are quickly over taken by the bitter pine and grassy hops. Lots of fruity citrus and tropical flavors. The finish is very dry and bitter with a strong astringency that sticks with you.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a nice strong bitter dry finish.

Skål! (705 characters)

shaped pint glass

A- Light amber, clear first on, some yeast wisps when pouring later in the bottle, 2 finger head, good retention to 1mm cap, constant blotchy lacing.

S- piney, citric, floral american hopping, not much else, but a nice, typical american ipa hop aroma.

T- piney resinous, aggressive, just short of being overpowering, strong bittering finish that lasts along while, but not harsh- very pleasant and expected. Malty sweetness is quick- I would have liked a touch more, medium in nature, but quickly moved into hops. Finishes dry, but not too much so.

M- small carbonation, medium light body, not astringent, nice going down, and altho there is hop bitterness, not tongue strippingly so.

A nice american IPA- I may have preferred a slight more aggressive hop AND malt profile, but that's kinda overkill I suppose for the style. The long bittering, but not overpowering, hop finish is really enjoyable, and definitely highlights the flavors present. (970 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Subtle pale malt, citrusy and floral hops, no esthers, slight astringency.
A: Pours Clear, golden yellow w/ a thin white head that quickly dissipates.
F: Tastes bitter upfront, malt presence is slight if non existent, the balance is towards the bitter hops. Finish is w/ a lingering bitterness.
M: I found it to be lacking in carbonation with an almost watery mouthfeel. No warmth / creaminess . Slight astringency coming from the hop bitterness.
O: This beer has a great nose per style. A very bitter IPA. However I found this beer to be lacking in mouthfeel and taste. Suggest more in the way of malt character that would improve the body and flavor of this beer. (669 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -17.7%

Thanks to Drewbage for this one.

Served at 45 degrees in pint glass.

Stellar appearance with this beer. Everything that I think of when I think great appearance. Big fluffy generous head that settles down to a light blanket. Lacing all over the glass. It pours a really nice orange amber color with fine yeast particles suspended in it like stars. Very attractive.

Smell is pure white grapefruit. Little else. Hmmm.

Taste is pretty much all about bitter white grapefruit. No real sweetness to speak of here. It is alot like drinking unsweetened white grapefruit juice. I like bitter, but it really isn't all that balanced.

Mouthfeel is slick and oily and very nice. This is the way a good beer should feel going down. However the grapefruit is lingering like crazy.

The white grapefruit got to me after the first half of the bomber and while I would have this again, I might pick something else instead. (921 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

a - gold, almost blond. soapy head and a decent amount of carbonation happenin.

s - piney, zesty citrus peel, hoppy, a lil stanky.

t - more fruit and citrus, mildly bitter, definitely some grassy earthy aftertones. not too strong of a tasting IPA. in fact, a lot of the flavor has diminished rather quickly.

m - vibrant and prickly a little less than champagne, but for some reason a little bit more exiting than your average IPA as far as the mouthfeel.

o - pretty nice. i dont buy it too often and i think thats just cause it doesnt really wow me all the much. maybe im just spoiled ;) (592 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.4%

Clear orange amber and foamy off-white head with great retention. Big grapefruit and pine aroma. Pine resin and moderate bittering slightly balanced by a citrus sweetness. Fairly light lingering grassy bitterness. Moderate carbonation and heavy feel.

Fairly balanced IPA at the beginning but what bittering there is takes over the flavor and just leaves a tacky, resinous feel lingering with you. (397 characters)

22oz bomber poured into my pint glass

The appearance was that of a very light copper color with a slightly off-white head. Average head retention that when subsides left minimal amounts of lacing clinging to the sides of my glass.

The aroma consisted of citrus hops with the likes of tangerines and grapefruit. Floral aromatics were noticeable as well with some caramel malt in the background. The hop aroma was kind of subdued IMO and it might be signs of an old bottle?

The taste was slightly sweet upfront with citrus flavors of grapefruit and tangerine. Midway is a slight bitterness with a touch of malts finishing it off.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied with average carbonation.

Overall I was coming in to this with high expectation since this is in the top 10 list of IPA. What I would have liked for this beer to have was stronger aromatics of the hops and for the taste as well to be more citrus like. What I got was maybe an old bottle which I hope so because this IPA would not even make my top 20. (1,012 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass. Date difficult to discern... Appears to be 9/30. Consumed on 11/10.

A - Golden amber with heavy carbonation. Gentle pour yielded one finer of off-white head. Left heavy lacing on side of glass.

S - Tropical notes including kiwi, papaya, and melon, plus black tea, but smells somewhat like soap suds.

T - Bitter black tea is dominant and not entirely pleasant. Melon/citrus flavors underwhelming. Papaya and lime. Bitter/sour lemon black tea finish.

M - Lightly bodied and highly carbonated. Unremarkable.

O - Highly disappointed. Bland bitter black tea was a heavy detractor. I did not enjoy and will not try again. (668 characters)

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company