AleSmith IPA - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-29-2002

Reviews: 1,236 | Hads: 3,680
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to t0rin0 for this one...

Clear amber in color, huge, thick white head. Leaves tons of lacing. Great retention.

Smell is earthy, citrus hops-grapefruit, orange. Some light caramelly malts. Hint of spice.

Taste- exactly what I like in an IPA! Bitter, citrus hops, earthy, sweet malts. Creamy mouthfeel. Alcohol comes through a little as it warms, but it is a light, very welcome presence.

Excellent example of an IPA, I finished the bomber and still could've had more.

A - very light orange, minimal head and lacing

S - mild citrus and pine - nothing that impressive

T - balanced but very light - not what I really like in a west coast IPA. It needs more of everything. A bit too sweet also.

M - its fine, but like the aroma and taste, nothing great

O - Maybe I have an old bottle? There is no brewed on or best by date. I hate when breweries dont put this crucial info on their bottles. This is a pretty "meh" IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Acquired in a trade with mulletgrab...thanks!

A - pours a clear, bright orange with a small white head.

S - loads of piney and citrusy hops.

T - Citrus with a great piney aftertaste. Hops dominate here. Not much malt here...hops rule!

D - very drinkable...another IPA I could drink any day of the year. This one is exceptional.

I would definitely seek this beer out if I could buy it locally. I love it!!

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Amber in color with a pure white head that laces

S - Pine and citrus hop aroma

T - Hoppy, citrusy, slight bitterness.

M - Medium carbonation and medium in body

D - Balanced but extremely hoppy. Borders on being a IIPA, but I believe the low ABV holds it back from being so. Great beer, extremely drinkable, but rich as well.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank this with a pretty lady in bed. She had a hangover and this cured her right up. Fantastic IPA, lets' start there...

A - Beautiful golden color, like refined apple juice. Very good head retention and lacing round the glass.

S - Floral, light, crisp, citrusy, reminiscent of Pliney the Elder, which is saying a lot.

T - Initially syrupy like light honey or even mead, followed by citrus, namely grapefruit. Hops are well balanced by malts, which are slightly evident.

M - EXTREMELY smooth, not overly carbonated like most IPA's I've tried. Lingers long after the initial sip.

D - Definitely noteworty as a session beer..."Keep it comin' all night long."

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to Mikey711 for the bottle. Looking forward to this... I almost opened a few days after receiving, but I noticed a lot of swirling yeast in the bottom. I let it be for a few days.

A - Wow, 6 finger head on a VERY slow pour. I had to let it sit for a long time. As I drink, big globs of foam stick to the side of the glass even several minutes later. Looks like ice cream. Bright orange. A little haze.

S - Hello, west coasty IPA goodness. Bright citrus. Makes me want a fish taco just smelling it. Mmm.

T&M - This is dry - I expected a bit more malt backbone, but I like it. Surprisingly still a lot of carbonation. I figured it might have been lost in the head, but there is plenty to go around. It makes it full bodied and dry at the same time. Unique. Still nice citrus hops, and big ABV presence.

D - The hops don't burn out my tastebuds but it is still apparent this is a big beer. I'm really surprised at how dry it is though. I'm drinking it slowly, but enjoying it quite a bit.

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Revised after getting a much fresher bottle. This stuffs an awesome west coast IPA.

Very clean filtered look. Aroma of grapefruit and touch of dank tropical fruit. Taste is very similar to nose but with up front floral hops and touch of pine to round it out. Bitter but balanced malt finish too. I would def buy this again, especially at only $5.99 a bomber.

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Light ruby orange/ amber body, fluffy/creamy head with fast/moderate dissipation, almost no lacing, and retains a nice creamy rim.

S: Big on citrus. I picked up grapefruit(not surprising), gentle pine hop presence and settle sweet malt.

T: Pine hopes and grapefruit throughout, which is complemented by the sweet malt.

M: Smooth and almost velvety texture, low alcohol presence, and medium bodied.

O: Tasty and balanced is the best way to describe this beer. I do feel the malt regulates. This beer has been popular at my store and I now see why. I usually prefer bold hops, but for a regular ipa , this has good presence. I defiantly recommend and wish I got a second bottle.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

A huge fluffy head as big as the burnt-orange copper liquid in the Duvel tulip glass rose and fell to a biscuit island and a fair amount of irregular lace.

The smell is the too-strong perfume type of hop assault you would get from smelling a hop oil extract and little else.

Taste is like the nose at the moment. It's a two dimensional pyramid of hop resin. What balance of grains finds its way into the taste is quickly and steadily beaten down until only the lupulin remains. True to style, this beer will have no problem making the long journey to India without spoilage.

In the mouthfeel, it's a little sharp up front but the oils of the hops quickly take care of that to become an easy-drinking smoothness.

Drinkability is high but pretty standard for this style. You can drink a fair amount of it without wanting to have something else right away.

This is a very satisfying brew that I would buy again to share as an example of the style but among all IPAs I think there are few better.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

This bomber arrived by way of BA Sloejams, a wicked awwwsumm dude.

I poured this beaut into my Stone IPA glass, it has a deep amber body with a thick creamy ivory head.

The scent is pure high alpha hops, lots of grapefruit aroma.

The taste is caramel malt backed with a huge hop juicyness. Like the aroma, primarily grapefruit flavors. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, with a moderate amount of carbonation. At 7% a bomber of Alesmith IPA can be plenty. I look forward to trying this one again soon.

Notes: I haven't been into IPAs in some time, but this one reminded me of how good they can be (in moderation), just SOLID. I enjoyed with some pepperoni and Dubliner cheddah.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

22 oz. Bomber, poured into a pint glass

Appearance is good. Golden but darker than many. 1/2" head that evaporates to just a thin layer. Lacing is nice, consistent as it flows down the glass.

Smell is nice, definitely an IPA but not a hop bomb. Citrus floats to the top but there is a bit of of breadiness to the smell.

Taste is excellent. Borders between an IPA and a Double IPA...not sure which class this falls in. But you definitely notice the hop dominance. Mild bitterness up front, tart middle with a hint of burnt something in there, stings a bit at the end with a piney flavor.

Mouthfeel is busy carbonation, not as oily as I would expect for the amount of hop flavor. Rich, thick beer almost oozes down your throat. Very dry finish with a slight alcohol burn. Not sure what is better about this beer, the taste or the mouthfeel. It all comes together soooo nicely.

Drinkability is pretty good at "only" 7.25% ABV. Two bombers. Very smooth, enjoyable as it goes down.

Great IPA. Not sure I would go so far as to say it's an Imperial/Double as it is very drinkable and doesn't kill your palate. A MUST for anyone who likes IPA's and Hops. Not as piney as Stone IPA, but definitely a quality competitor if not better than my favorite (former favorite?) .

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

A very nice looking copper/peach color with a small bubbly head.
Hoppy aroma but not excessively so with some fruity background.
Excellent flavor, right up there with the best ipa's, perfectly balanced. Definitely a harmonious mix of ingredients.
Long, light hoppy linerging taste that lasts and lasts.
It's hard to imagine getting tired of this one, a challenge to the current "staple."

Picked this up while on vaca in San Diego.

Vibrant amber/orange pour with a frothy two finger head protruding up - thick bubbles leave behind little lacing, it's as if this head wanted to stick with its liquid counterpart as only small splotches of lace remain on the sides of my glass. Smells is piny, resinous, slightly citrusy and the faintest hint of minty spice all forged together to produce an entirely new hop combo I haven't experienced until now - also some sweet notes coming through from both hops and malt. The taste isn't as impressive as the aroma but it is up there, bitter piny hops follow by mellow caramel malt leave an oily sticky feeling on the palate - refreshing crisp and highly drinkable IPA with good carbonation as the bubbles still rise relentlessly from the bottom of my pint glass. As I stare at my score of all 4s I ponder why it says "good" by each category - this beer is better than good, it's fantastic.

Serving type: Bomber into a shaker pint like God intended.

Pours a honey-amber coloration. Smell is slightly citrusy, well hopped, along with some pine-y and citrus zesty scents. Taste reflects the smell, light citrus flavors along with some great hop punch that aren't overpowering. Very much a West coast IPA. The mouthfeel is slightly thicker than normal for an IPA (treading on DIPA territory) but it is well carbonated, it compliments the bigger hop and zest flavors well.

Would buy again and again.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured golden orange with two fingers of off-white head. Aroma is citrus and piney hops with some malty sweetness.

Taste is primarily hoppy and intense like an Imperial IPA, but with a malty sweetness that is often overpowered in other beers like this. Not quite an Imperial IPA, but more intense than most IPAs. Very well balanced in this regard.

Medium bodied with a bitter but sweet aftertaste that keeps me coming back for more. An excellent and well balanced brew, which will be a staple for me from now on.

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a 22 oz bomber at the City Beer Store in San Francisco. I have heard great things about AleSmith so I was very excited to try the IPA. My first thought was this might be a weaker IPA than I typically enjoy because of the soft/clear color and lack of a big nose. The taste was enjoyable, but I didn't pick up any distinctive characteristics. It’s a well-made beer and enjoyable to drink, but it doesn’t compare to other IPA in terms of overall hoppy satisfaction. It actually seemed to have more in common with a good pale ale than an IPA. I would love to try it again off a tap and see how it compares to my first experience.

3.64/5  rDev -14.8%

Thanks to Mauerhan for this.

A- Typical IPA color with actually really good head retention.

S- Not as much hops as I would have thought up front. I get a little yeast in the nose with some lemon citrus.

T- Pretty good malt-to-hops balance for a west-coast IPA A surprisingly bitter at the end. Kinda disspoited after having Sculpin a few weeks ago.

M- Sort of a hot initial mouthfeel. Cooled down as it warmed. Pretty smooth.

D- Alright, but not great for an IPA. I wouldnt have the whole bomber as I shared with kfsv034. Slightly dissapointing brew.

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

That's it, San Diego IPA needs its own style category! After familiarizing myself with stone's ipas, then ballast point's, and now alesmith's as they finally make their way in to northern Virginia; I've come to fully appreciate what this style is after:

Copper colored, fluffy khaki head, caramel on the nose, candied citrus and slight dank oniony flavors.

As far as ipas go? I prefer mine hazy, bright yellow with a big fluffy head of pure white, dominated by BRIGHT citrus and tropical fruit notes, with a BONE DRY finish, AKA northeastern IPAs, which should also have their own style category.

This beer is pretty on point for the San Diego style description, so I'm rating it that way.

A- Clear copper with a fluffy, khaki head that leaves oodles of beautiful lacing.

S- Sweet caramel, candied orange, apricots. This is my least favorite part of this beer.

T- sweet citrus with a bit more apricot. some nice, subtle melon notes. Grapefruit pulp. A little sulfurous onion note, some resin in the background. Sweet pale malt flavors shine a bit as well, with freshly cut grass and a tiny spritz of lemon.

M- Delightfully medium bodied, tongue coating flavors, sweet, lasting finish, perfect for the style.

IN CONCLUSION, this is a pretty damn good San Diego IPA. Glad it found its way to NoVa.

4.41/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle. Pours a murky amber color with lots of floating sediment (love the sediment!) and a thick off-white head. Aroma is hoppy with a strong pine nose to it. Flavor is nice and hoppy, with hints of grapefruit and a bitter pine finish to it. Another top-notch offering from Alesmith.

3.99/5  rDev -6.6%

I ended up with yet another bottle of this brew and decided it was time to rate it this time. This IPA is one of the better ones I've had. It pours slightly darker than golden, but with a slight haze (probably because of the bottle-conditioning), and with a minimal head...but one that persists until the last drop. I would call it attractive. The aroma is good with some nice hops, yet there's a bit of something else (slightly tart/almost stinky) I'm not a huge fan of. I've had the same thing in some other beers too, and I don't think it's a flaw. I guess it's just some characteristic from ingredients and/or the brewing process I don't find especially pleasing. I do like the flavor more than the aroma. A clean, malty flavor provides the basic background for the hops to shine. I'm guessing there's a mix of hops used here...quite possibly some various C-hops. The finish is fairly dry with a lingering hop flavor and bitterness. Right now, I'm being reminded of Bear Republic's Racer 5 (which I also like...especially fresh on tap.) In the end, I recommend Alesmith IPA and wish it and the rest of Alesmith's lineup were available back here in the SE.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

22oz bomb bottle poured into Great Dane Pub & Brewing imperial pint glass; poured cold, warmed as tasted
A - Clear amber/orange with a thin head that quickly dissipates to an even thinner ring around the edges.
S - A nice mix of caramel sweetness and a hint of hops, with a suggestion of alcohol in there as well.
T - In a word, fantastic. Great, great beer. Dull hoppiness hits first, a bit hard to discern. Then the great mid-palate comes in, with just a perfect level of caramel sweetness, which blends perfectly with a mango/orange-lemon rind bitterness. My favorite part of this beer is at the end; while your tongue is drying out from the earthy hoppiness, there's still a lingering background of sweetness, barely perceptible, that stays for quite a while. The urge to have another sip of beer is put off by this lingering flavor, as it is so pleasant.
M - Low carbonation and tiny bubbles lend a smooth mouthfeel.
D - Awesome, despite fairly high ABV, don't taste it all. Beer is so delicious that it could get you in trouble.
Very surprised by this one; had it in the fridge for a bit, trying others before it. Was hard to get and now gotta figure out how to get more! Great stuff - get this beer!

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured a slightly cloudy caramel color with a very thin head of about 1/4" that disappeared after the first sip.

The attractive smell reminded me of pine needles with the slight sweetness of fruit.

Upon first tasting the beer, I immediately felt the strong burning of alcohol and heavy hops with a hint of grapefruit. The pine I smelled become much more pronounced in my mouth. It started out bitter but had a mild aftertaste that didn't sit on the tongue. A couple of sips later and the alcohol burn became much less pronounced and the flavor, while still bitter (in the way an IPA should be), was much more balanced.

This brew continued to go down more easily as I worked my way through the bottle, and left me buzzing comfortably at its completion.

This isn't my favorite IPA, but it is definitely one I would purchase again and possibly let sit a bit longer to see how it changes.

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass.

Pours a nice cloudy copper color with a finger and a half of frothy white head that leaves plenty of lacing down the side of the glass.

Smells absolutely delicious. Very resiny pine aroma with strong hints of grape and passion fruit. The malt backbone in this brew finally stuck out, but only after I had taken about five or six wiffs of this beer.

Tastes of strong piney, and citrus hops up front. An excellent tasting brew that has a nice caramel malt flavor when it washes down.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth, and nicely carbonated.

This beer is one of the better IPA's I've had the opportunity to try. It's hop presence is right up my alley, and although it has a strong hop aroma, it is strangely balanced in taste. An impressive brew. I wish that I could get this in 6 packs.

3.56/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass. Date difficult to discern... Appears to be 9/30. Consumed on 11/10.

A - Golden amber with heavy carbonation. Gentle pour yielded one finer of off-white head. Left heavy lacing on side of glass.

S - Tropical notes including kiwi, papaya, and melon, plus black tea, but smells somewhat like soap suds.

T - Bitter black tea is dominant and not entirely pleasant. Melon/citrus flavors underwhelming. Papaya and lime. Bitter/sour lemon black tea finish.

M - Lightly bodied and highly carbonated. Unremarkable.

O - Highly disappointed. Bland bitter black tea was a heavy detractor. I did not enjoy and will not try again.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Purchased at 5th Street Deli in Dayton, Ohio. No bottling date. Looks like a ton of tightly packed sediment at bottom with a not uncommon amount floating throughout. 22oz bottle poured into oversized tulip.

A- Pours a polished pale to deep gold with a frothy, large-bubbled head. The white head recedes at a medium speed down to a solid layer of froth. Sticky lacing from both the receding head and the lowering of the beer level in the glass. Looks very actively carbonated: a never ending dime sized vortex of bubbles stream from the etching on the bottom. The second pour gave a much more billowy head with greater retention.

S- Grapefruit, pine needles, and hard candy emanate from the mouth of the glass. I don't even need to get that close, six inches and I can get a good idea of what this will taste like. The aroma has a bitterness to it, complemented by a slight warning of alcohol.

T- The bitterness hits you at the front, middle, and end. I don't get that from a lot of IPAs. It isn't overwhelming at any point, but is always there. Once again, grapefruit, pine needles, and supported by a malt backbone similar to hard candy. The sweetness of the candy flavor stays with you alongside the bitterness, while the grapefruit and pine needles take a back seat in the finish. An exceptional example of a dry, bitter, west coast IPA; this one probably isn't even that fresh...

M- Pretty dry and highly carbonated, yet has a stickiness to it. Mouthfeel accentuates the bitterness and hop flavor.

D- The dryness and high carbonation make this 7.25%'er dangerously drinkable.

I wish AleSmith used a bottling date so I could know how fresh this is. Very good as is, but am I missing out on an even better beer?

AleSmith IPA from AleSmith Brewing Company