YuleSmith (Summer) - AleSmith Brewing Company

YuleSmith (Summer)YuleSmith (Summer)

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: xlperro on 11-24-2002

Lots of hops with a nice malty backbone on this one. It is released twice yearly; once in the Summer and once in the late Fall / early Winter. Winter bottles have green & red ink, Summer is blue & red. There is a variation in the malt bill for each version.
Ratings: 1,676 | Reviews: 917
Reviews by Schmaltzy:
4.54/5  rDev +7.8%

A- Nice light amber/orange color with darker amber hues, this seemed to be on on nitro due to the light fluffy foam usually seen on guiness, because it was on nitro it left loads of clumpy lacing each time I stopped drinking.

S- Loads of mango fruit not to mention other tropical flavors but mango really stands out followed by light citrus and faint floral hop scents, very nice caramel malt backbone.

T- Nice Mango and pine hops with more tropical fruit following as well as some bitter citrus hops, not to mention the nice balance with the caramel malt backbone that I didn't pay much attention to. Wish it lived up to the scent.

M- Medium resiny body that had light creamy carbontation due to the nitro tap, gonna have to crack a bottle to bring the real carbonation out.

D- Very easy for me to finish the pint at Churchill's and still ask for another, as well as 2 more Bear Republic XPA's... Seek out and drink fast.

4.27/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A little cloudy, bright gold, thin head
S pineapple juice peach juice and piney hops smells sweet and tropical, smells good
T sweet malt, pineapple tropical a little malt forward, piney grapefruit a little alc backbone
M medium
O a smidge too malty sweet to be perfect for my pallette but its a very good dipa

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Lightly foggy nectarine with honey colored edges. My usual pour produced a surprisingly large cap. As it settles, I can appreciate its magnificence. The firmly creamy foam is pale gold in color, with a cobbled upper surface that maintains contact with the pint glass in multiple spots. When the sticky foam bridges break, they leave a beautiful array of lace. What's not to love?

The nose is a hophead's dream come true. I remember wishing the Winter release had less caramel malt and more pale malt. Summer has granted my wish (kudos to the brewery for giving us two versions of the same great beer). Beautifully pungent American hops fill the atmosphere with sweetened pineapple, white grapefruit, candied orange peel and Scotch pine. I'm actually beginning to drool.

YuleSmith Summer is one of the most delicous, drinkable DIPAs that I've ever had. The only thing keeping the Winter release from perfection was, again, the use of a hefty amount of caramel malt. Which, by the way, turns it into an Imperial red ale (just ask the brewers). Both versions are great, but I slightly prefer this one.

I'm not sure how old the bottle is (it's definitely from *this* summer), but I expected a shade more hoppiness. Don't get me wrong, it's a tongue abuser par excellence, it just isn't as 'in your face' as I remember the Winter version being. When the brewery calls it balanced, they aren't that far off the mark.

The prodigious malt backbone contributes very little flavor. I'm reminded of sugar cookies and honey-like malts, though they're in the background. The foreground is occupied by wave upon wave of sunshine bright, C-hop deliciousness. Again, pineapple, grapefruit, orange, (and now) lemon fill every nook and cranny on every last taste bud. A minimal alcohol presence is easily ignored.

The mouthfeel isn't the perfection that the other version was, but then a lot of time has passed and a lot of beer has been consumed in the interim. It's midway between medium and full (for the style) and is a fraction too carbonated to be considered ideal. Time is beginning to soften things up very nicely.

AleSmith is a permanent member of my 'top 10 American craft breweries of all-time' on the strength of IPA, Speedway Stout and both versions of YuleSmith. Not that the rest aren't worthy, but those four are four of the finest ales that I've ever had the pleasure to drink. Bottom line: I can count on one hand the number of DIPAs that are better than YuleSmith Summer.

Reviewed sometime during the summer of 2008. I don't recall the exact date since there weren't separate entries at that time for YuleSmith Summer and YuleSmith Winter.

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

I have sampled this treasure a few times in the past and thanks to my new Buffalo BA buddy Orfeu I have a bomber to myself.Poured a deep hazed burnt orange/peach with a creamy 2 finger head that stays for the whole way down with a brillinat ring showing thru and globs of lace left as I drank more.Honestly what can be said about great it smells deep resiny piney hop with notes of apricot and lemon pith in my mind there is not a beer out there that has such a complex hop profile,a big sweet brown sugar elemant show thru as well.The malt must be really packed in this brew to keep at least close to balanced because there is just such massive amount of hop flavors,apricot shows thru with a touch of overipe pineapple and then the oily,resiny character come thru with a hefty sweet malt base showing thru making it almost sticky.Has a great creamy mouthfeel texture it just glides down in near perfection,this maybe the standard American DIPA with its huge hoppiness and big sweet malt backbone just unbeliavable.

This was the summer release not the more recent fall/winter release.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Appearance – This fella’ gave off a huge, monstrous head that was thick and unrelenting, sinking slowly on top of the hazy orange liquid. This just looks serious.

Smell – The big, fruity hops are out in force here. They are very complex and can keep the drinker busy for hours just smelling this bouquet. I think I took a whiff with every sip.

The malts are thick as well and full of caramel. They are very rich and epitomize the ADIPA style.

Taste – Yes, this is a heavy-hitter. It’s probably the fruitiest of the ADIPAs that I’ve had the privilege to sample. The malts are big and rich and form a terrific backbone, but it’s the giant fruity hop profile that sets this one apart from the pack.

Mouthfeel – This is a big medium-bodied ale with an effective combination of super-sweet fruitiness and a strong, finishing dryness.

Drinkability – I thought this lacked the malt depth of some of my favorite Double IPAs, but the big fruity hops and great “alcohol mask” made this one the life of the party.

Comments – BuckeyeNation is in da house! This is just one of many wonderful beers that I picked up on trade from him. BA rules!!

Update – I popped a fresh one in Nov 2007 and found a bit more malty bitterness here than before but otherwise it is right on point. As I said in my original review, the striking thing about this beer is the head. It is so stubborn and so lacing. This is a real looker with bite to back up its bark. I’m bumping the Drinkability up half a notch and raising my glass to the AleSmith crew.

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Winter release picked up at La Cav du Vin, Cleveland and consumed in mid-June, 2007. No date information anywhere on the bottle. I assume that this is a 2006 release but cannot verify that.

Appearance: Quite dark, murky even…at least initially, as the carbonation is ferocious and causes a stirring of the bronzed dark orange brew. As the beer comes is brightens but never too much. This is a big beer with a big look. The head remains frothy throughout. It’s creamy and off-white.

Aroma: Toast and biscuit malts. Oily hops. Hop profile is both citric and tropical ranging from grapefruit to passion fruit and containing most of the spectrum in between. Some pine is also present. Malt is in no short supply either.

Taste: Not as hoppy as I had expected, although that could be a side effect of this brew’s age – 7 months or so (and I suppose this could even be a 2005 release. That would really explain things) or perhaps that is how this beer was intended, balanced, unlike so many DIPAs. I’ll have to drink more samples to know for sure.

Don’t get me wrong, however, this beer is hoppy. The flavor contains some wonderful juicy citrus elements. Tangerine and ruby red grapefruit are clearly discernable. Spruce and rose petals too. The malt in this beer is at times almost rye like, quite bready, and contains a light honey sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Balance, balance, balance. Yulesmith is big in terms of body, booze, and bitteress but it is not overbearing. Each piece of the Yulesmith fits together like an intricate puzzle. One is left with a very drinkable beer. Another word to describe the body is chewy and although the beer is initially oily, it becomes quite sticky as it warms.

4.17/5  rDev -1%

Golden orange with a white head lacing some lacings.

The smell is hoppy with a nice grapefruit/pine-needle character with hints of tobacco. Quite a lot of malts are shining through.

The flavor is fairly sweet with a pleasant caramel malty backbone with notes of vanilla. Decent amount of aroma hops (pine-needles and grapefruit). Ends bitter with peppery and citric hops, and hints of warming alcohol.

Medium to full body, easy on the palate and very easy to drink.

An enjoyable double IPA.

4.02/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks for the bottle, zoso1967. Thanks for drinking it with me, BuckyFresh. Reviewed from notes on 10/15/10.

A: Biggest. Head. Ever. Seriously, this bomber was roughly split 3 ways and each snifter had a four plus finger head. The froth receded in my glass to leave a clump that looked like a breast. The color looks almost more like a Tripel than your typical Double IPA - very medium to dark gold. The lacing on the glass is awfully clumpy and sticky.

S: Grassy, earthy hops are the dominant smell. A little bit of caramel malt sings to my nose along with a Belgian yeast-esque aroma. I smell a fresh herbal scent which is very minty. The smell is a little spicy and quite fresh.

T: This is a different taste for me from a Double IPA. It is very freshly herbal, with a taste that reminds me a bit of a Belgian golden ale. I taste a lot of garden herb flavors - mint, parsley, and coriander among them. The aftertaste does have a good lingering hop bitterness. I would like to know what the dominant hop is in the mix because I am not at all familiar with it.

M: There is a nice biting hop presence on the sides of my palate, but overall the MF is a little thin for me.

D: I could really sip this beer for a long time. The herbal character feels very refreshing in my mouth. However, it did not really have the characteristics of a Double IPA for which I look.

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Lots of citrusy hop aroma with some pine and maybe even a hint of peach. It is a clear light golden color with a decent malt body. It finished a little bitter. Overall it's good but not as great as I'd hoped. The winter Yulesmith is clearly better, at least from the two most-recent releases.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2003:

What a top notch brew! I had this one on tap at O'Briens and it was my first experience with YuleSmith. The color was a medium red with a nice head that left good lace. The smell was all about hops and spice, very inviting. The flavor was that of a hopped out barleywine more than a Double IPA. The big malt backbone anchored the brew while the bitter hops and the dose of spices kept the beer from being too sweet. Great balance and the aging must have factored in as well. Great stuff!

2004:
What a superb brew! This one definantly had more of an Double IPA flavor to it compaired to last years. The smell was more hoppy and the taste was more hoppy as well, but still retained enough balance in the malt section to make it all work. Kudos to AleSmith once again!

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

A: a glowing yellow orange, a thin head with spotty lacing. did gush upon opening...

S: hints of a pleasant blend of florals, citrus, spices, and hops.

T: bitter orange flavor permeates the mouth right through to the swallow.

MF/D: sizzle of lasting carbonation that fizzles as it slides down the throat. perfect for a summer afternoon.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Summer 2006 blue and red silkscreened label. Pours into my glass a nice bright copper orange color with a small bubbly head on top that quickly fades. Aromas of resiny, pine sap hops along with hints of citrus and a blast of caramel. A bit fruity with a waft of alcohol. Good stuff.

First sip brings a blast of dense piney hop resins coated in a wall of sweet caramel malts. Notes of citrus work through along with a hint of breadiness and fruit. It flows down with a nice solid bitterness and a touch of alcohol on the finish. Overall...a damn tasty, big brew. I always enjoy me some YuleSmith.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied with a nice mellow carbonation. Goes down fairly easily. A pretty strong brew that I enjoy sampling every now and again when I run across it. AleSmith brews always seem to make me a happy camper :-)

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

It was about time I made it to this one. This is the summer release so it didn't need to sit too much longer. Received this in BIF 46 I believe.

Hazy orange, copper color. Huge off-white head on the pour, reduced down to a loose 1" mass of meraunge foam. Sporadic threads of lace grip the glass.

Smell is, of course, loaded with hops. An absolute ton of floral and citrus pound the ol' olfactory glands. Not quite grapefruit, more along the line of tangerine and citrus rinds. Kinda sweet and quite aromatic.

Tons of hops again in the flavor. A lot of the same things found in the aroma come through again but there is a lot more in the flavor. Additionally there are some pine sap and resin flavors which I really like. Pretty bitter finish and overall, but I've had bitterer (is that a word?) A slight tinge of the alcohol also peaks through but nothing detrimental. Comes across pretty balanced for a DIPA, mostly light caramel malts and only a little biscuit malt do this job.

Good mouthfeel. Oily and slick, kind of creamy in some aspects. Very crisp after the swallow, probably from the ton of carbonation which showed itself in all of the bubbles rising to the surface after the pour.

Good drinkability. Super tasty brew but this one sits heavy on my stomach due to the heavy mouthfeel.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Notes from 9/15/10

A - Beautiful pour into a Duvel tulip. Straw/orange slightly cloudy liquid with 3 fingers of head at least. Head is off white and thick/pillowy, reminds me of the foam generated iin a root beer float.

S - Very sweet smell with a lot of fruit coming through; nectarines maybe, along with some pineapple and grapefruit. A bit of caramel malt as well.

T - Unfortunately, taste doesn't live up to the smell. Hops have faded leaving more malt presence than I was expecting (sampled in mid-September; I think it is bottled in June?); still, a nice blend of piney and fruity hops to go with the caramel malt; finished somewhat dry and bitter, but not overwhelmingly so.

M - Mouthfeel is medium, actually a bit creamy (probably from the faded hops); slightly astringent finish.

D - Seems to be going down pretty easily; probably even better fresh.

4.07/5  rDev -3.3%

22 oz. Winter 2007 edition, poured into a pint glass

A - pours a golden orange color with a thick white head.
S - grapefruit, malts.
T - a really nice balance of malts and hops, nice festive spices. pine. a bit of the alcohol.
M - great feel in the mouth. smooth but well-carbonated.
D - this is indeed a great beer to sit down and enjoy with friends

22 oz bottle, bottled on 5/1/14. Pours clear golden orange with a huge frothy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet sugary fruits and some resiny piney peppery hops.

The flavor is sweet bready malts with some fruit and a big piney, resiny hop bitterness that lingers in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, a solid DIPA. I remember liking the winter version better.

4.59/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Summer Release '06.

Local liquor store just got a bunch of these in so I decided to pick one up and see if it was worth the hype. Poured an extremely murky dark orange, with light brown hues. Extremely heady which was off-white colored and extremely frothy, leaving behind great lacing. A beautiful beer. Smells of very sweet citrusy hops galore with some grapefruit poking through....EXTREMELY floral. I couldn't pull my nose away from the glass it smelled so incredible. Taste starts off with a smack of honey sweetness, piney hops, and a good dose of maltiness fighting its way through then gives way to more bitterness on the piney/grapefruit side, ending dry bitter with a faint spiciness I can't quite put my finger on. Nutmeg? Coriander? Alcohol is VERY well hidden for an 8.5% brew and is surprisingly smooooth. You do feel the warming effect from the alcohol nonetheless. Mouthfeel is rich and velvety/creamy, light on the carbonation side. Very nice. This is one of the better DIPA I have had, and I have had many, as it is my favorite genre of brew. Yulesmith definitely is worth every ounce of hype it gets in the BA circles. This is a GRADE A+ DIPA of the highest caliber. I think I'm gonna head back to the liquor store and stock up on these while they last.

4.06/5  rDev -3.6%

Summer version. Pours firey sunset copper with an incredible beige head. Super retention, and lots of resiny lacing. The aroma is dripping of Tropicana, Pine Sol, English toffee. The flavor is retarded. Hops from the tip of my tongue to the bottom of my belly. Strong bitterness with plenty of malt character to keep thinks in balance. Body is on the fuller side. Carbonation seems low due to the richness of the beer. What a beer to drink during the UofM/OSU game.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle is a red and green 2006 edition. Many thanks to IntriqKen. Pours a radiant, clear copper body with lots of carbonation apparent. Huge beige head lasts the distance and there is enormous chunk lacing.

Aroma is brash with grapefruit and orange esters that take your breath. Notes of spruce and honeyed caramel join the fray.

Mouthfeel is almost full bodied with a creamy carbonation.

Taste is mostly dry and bitter with citrusy hops. Orange pulp and pink grapefruit run wild. Malt presence is subtle, but respectable, adding some caramel and honey notes underneath. Finishes dry and bitter with a grapefruit rind aftertaste.

Exceptional DIPA here. Very drinkable as a result of the alcohol hidden away so well. Another winner for Alesmith.

4.62/5  rDev +9.7%

we were happy to find this one on tap at Pizza Port in Carlsbad, Ca. Poured a nice radiant orangy almond amber. Head was white/eggshell and lasted forever. Very fine lacing. The nose had a hint of nutmeg and of course hops. Nice honey, malty, marmalade, rich and bold brew. Oily hops o'pleanty. Great depth of hoppy flavor that carries thru to the finish. World class creation from Alesmith. A treat on tap in its home state.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Happy Birthday to me...on my 35th b-day, I finally decided this was the right evening to try this one (thanks to cmaruschak and Cornboy for each supplying one of these).
Pours a very cloudy, dark rust color w/ huge amounts of tan head...lacing is thick.
Cognac hits the nose first...w/ the alcohol quite apparent.
A nice hop profile w/ some raisins, grapes and caramel.
The taste is quite complex...the alcohol does take a back seat to everything else going on here. Not sure of how old this bottle is, but this one hits me more like and old ale than a double IPA...either way, it is quite delicious. A subtle smokiness in the finish and ends quite dry and bitter.
The mouthfeel is thick and the carbonation is right for the style IMO. At almost 9%, I'd respect this one...
I will need to pick this one up fresh to compare w/ my other bottle in the cellar...hopefully it won't be too long until we can find AleSmith brews in Mass.

Appearance: minimal head, orange-brown in color, hazy, moderate carbonation

Smell: big pine hops, small citrus hops, and a bit of caramel

Taste: sweet caramel start, then a nice dose of pine hops, followed by citrus hops

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, medium bodied, sweet start with a bitter middle and an increasingly bitter finish

Overall: A nice hoppy, bitter monster. A good beer to sit with, especially if you are a hop head. I have had some amazing hoppy beer lately, and while this one is not quite on that level, it is still very good. This is one I would not turn down, but am not likely to go back to right away.

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2007 Summer version.

Orange-ish color with a white head that left decent lacing. Nose of pine, grapefruit, and some sweet caramel; but it didn't really jump out of the glass at me. Much of the same disappointment was displayed in the taste; good flavors, but weak, especially for a DIPA. Mouthfeel was thick and fullbodied, carbonation was about medium. As it stands, the example I had was an okay beer and nothing more. Bad bottle? Perhaps, but there didn't seem to be anything inherently wrong with it, just not impressive. Only beer I haven't been impressed by from AleSmith. I'll give it another try next year and go from there.

Winter:

Clear reddish amber color with an off-white head, decent lacing and retention. Beautiful smell of sweet malt paired with big juicy hoppiness. Aroma is rich in fruitiness with some grapefruit hops to balance the sweetness. Taste is one of those things you really need to try for yourself to believe, it's excellent. Sweet malt and grapefruity hops in the taste, perfect balance in this beer. Carbonation was a bit high in the beginning of the bottle, medium bodied. Great beer from AleSmith.

4 / 4.5 / 5 / 4 / 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Thanks to kaiser81 for sending me this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy golden color with a white head. The aroma is piney and resiny hops and not too much else. Definitely a DIPA. The flavor is an incredible and varied mix of hops. In addition to a little bit of bready malt, I get hop flavors of pine, resin, pineapple, papaya and oranges. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A great beer that lived up to the hype.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Bomber from Premier Gourmet in Buffalo. I was all set to check out, but then the guy working the growler taps pulled me aside Peter Lorre-style and told me they just got some AleSmith in that week. My arm still hurts from all the twisting.

Poured into a tulip - a holiday La Chouffe glass in spirit of the (non) season. Light amber golden, great colour, with a sturdy half-inch of lead and lots of Christmas icicle lacing.

Nose is mango, pineapple, citrus hops, pine, and sugar. Very pleasant.

Not what I was expecting, but that is definitely a good thing. The taste is quite different from the nose - it is still certainly a hop bomb, but with strong pine, spice and grain flavours, with the citrus taking a bit of a back seat. No matter, it still tastes pretty damned good. I'm not exactly sure where the "holiday" comes in, other than the fact that it's humid and sunny and I'm drinking a DIPA with a Christmas wreath on the bottle, but I must admit it is a lighter, more refreshing DIPA - if that makes any sense - so it isn't a heavy brew by any stretch. Citrus creeps in when it pleases, with orange peel and lemon.

Light carbonation, medium body, slighly oily, but good feel. Bitterness lingers for quite some time.

Great DIPA, took some getting used to, but by the end of the bottle I was hooked. In this heat wave, any excuse to think about Christmas has got my vote, and this brew did the trick.

YuleSmith (Summer) from AleSmith Brewing Company