YuleSmith (Summer) - AleSmith Brewing Company

YuleSmith (Summer)YuleSmith (Summer)

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: xlperro on 11-24-2002

Lots of hops with a nice malty backbone on this one. It is released twice yearly; once in the Summer and once in the late Fall / early Winter. Winter bottles have green & red ink, Summer is blue & red. There is a variation in the malt bill for each version.
Ratings: 1,674 | Reviews: 916

22 oz bottle of the 2010 vintage poured (several times) into my Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a hazy golden amber color, pretty standard for the style. But the head on this beast is otherworldly! A good 2" of meringue tops this beer and refuses to dissipate! Right now, there is a big chunk of foam clinging to the glass even after the rest of the head has receded to a very thick ring around the glass. Did I mention that I started this beer 15 minutes ago?

S: Huge notes of mandarin orange peel and a whiff of honey from the malt supporting the fruit. Faint pineapple notes lift to the surface as well. Incredible aromas!

T: Everything the nose promises and then some. On top of the citrus notes from the hops is a crisp, almost minty note in the aftertaste. And boy, does the flavor stick with you. I'll be having dreams of this beer tonight.

M/D: How can I sum this up? In a word: perfection. Enough carbonation to support the head for an amazing length of time, plenty to keep the taste buds hopping, but not so much as to distract from the experience. I'm having a hard time savoring this beer... My mouth keeps saying "MORE"! I've had PtE at 3 weeks and this beer at a similar age. I'm sorry, but this beer blows Pliny away.

I never thought I'd give a beer a perfect score, but like James Bond said, "Never say never again"

Ok so this really does get my first perfect 5! It was the 2007 red and blue bottle. Poured a dep hazy amber with a big billowing white head that was so sticky it literally collapsed on the inside but the top and sides stayed together. Big time lace and alot of carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass. The smell was hoptastic, hey a new word. Such a deep citric smell. Lots of grapefruit and orange, with a touch of pineapple and Lemon thrown in. The taste was out of this world. Bigtime hoppy IPA. Not alot of alcohol taste, well covered up. But soo sticky with hop resin and orange and grapefruit taste. It was rediculously fresh tasting and feeling. Unreal smooth and great dry finish.
This really deserves a 5. I ha really liked the winter edition, but this was absolutly the perfect Double IPA. Not too harsh, but yet harsh. Strong but not upfrontly so. I am going to get as much as I can, and being in South Carolina that will be no easy feat. This was easily the best of the style I have ever had and I will hold all future up to it until it gets put down. Now I need to find a 5 in a Pilsner!

very festive looking bottle with the wreath and holly or mistletoe or whatever it is and green and red lettering. really puts me in the spirit for a strong hoppy brew.

nice looking copper bronze reddish color, with a lightly tanned head. the head forms large and recedes slowly to about half an inch thick, and then just sticks around leaving wonderful lacing.

just about every kind of hop aroma you can think of. pine, citrus, floral, even a bit grassy. wait, maybe thats the pine screwing with me. a bit boozy, but its the holidays, its 8.5abv, and this stuff only comes once (ok, twice) a year.

and that smell is magnificently replicated in the taste. strong hop presence right through. from the full bitterness which never comes across as too agressive, to the mouthfull of pine cone and sticky malt sweetness.
very interesting finish too. not too sweet or bitter with enough body to carry it all through without being too sweet or filling, and just dry enough to make you smack your lips waiting for more.

an impressive job on this from alesmith. now i know why they have to release this during summer. no one could grab enough during winter to hold them for the entire year. just knowing its around, you can hear it calling to you. now that its gone, i can still hear it. heck, i can even smell it.
oh, sorry, those hops are still coming up in burps.

Last of a batch of 4 I got from Liquid Solutions a few months back.
It says: Holiday Ale...what the hell.

Stuck in the fridge for about ten minutes after bringing it up from the cellar. Poured into my Duvel Tulip.

A - Beautiful light coppery red. Very clear, nice carbonation. great head with wonderful lacing.

S - Very nice West Coast hop assault. Piney, but with a floral back. Jasmine?

T - The first hit sneaks past the tastebuds and makes a b-line for the gullet. Only after it's raced through do the tire marks show their presence on the tongue and back of the throat. Strong tastebud numbing bitterness, but with an oily sweet finish. Fantastic.

M - As above, starts thin and then expands into an effervescent thick creamy tongue and roof of the mouth coating slice of heaven. Just flat out super!

D - All day. Lower ABV than say, Dreadnaught or UnEarthy makes this a DIPA that I can actually enjoy two bombers of in a sitting without fear of falling. Just such a wonderfully balanced DIPA.

My wife has forbidden any beer purchases until after Christmas. I guess drinking out of ones' cellar isn't so bad after all. I really love this beer.

Cheers

Brought to you by OldSock, who procured his 22 oz. bomber, by way of San Diego and fiascos unknown.

Pros: Super-creamy, super-impressive head. Carbonated perfectly. The appearance is spot-on, and the flavor's just right. So true to style.

Cons: Not surprising or innovative. Purely refined. Built solidly on a foundation of everything everyone else has been doing right for the past 15 years. It's so perfect that it's boring.

This beer blows away everything else in its class, boring or not.

L: A very solid dark brown with a thick light brown froathy head.
S: Apricots just jump right out immediately with a bit of brown roasted malt to follow.
T: Awesome candied apricots immediately. The sweetness lingers for a bit than give way to those delscious roasted malts.
M:Big fat creamy warm bubbles.
D: AWESOME!!!! One of my favorite beers. I could drink this bad boy all night.

06 Winter bottle.

The beer pours a very deep rustic orange color with three fingers off-white head. The lacing on the beer is one of the best I've seen. Billowy pillows of head leave large creamy rings of lace all the way to the end of the beer. The scent on this beer is a hop lovers dream. You can smell the resinous pine and grapefruit that are very bold and you can easily pick out the sweet caramel scent vying for your attention as well. Truly one of the best noses I've ever smelled on a beer. The first sip grabs your attention with the hops taking center stage. Bold flavors of candied grapefruit, pine, grain, toffee, and caramel come to the palate before the huge malted and bready backbone balance out those flavors. Wonderfully complex just still comforting. Each sip the creamy mouthfeel brings those flavors in and out and never falter during the entire beer.

Fantastic winter warmer and one of the very best I've been lucky enough to try.

***
'08 Summer Version

This beer pours a nice golden hue with a thick cap of fluffy head on it. I could being smelling all of the hop goodness as soon as I popped the cap on this beer. The hop smell is very pungent with plenty of grapefruit, sticky pine, candied oranges, peaches, apricots, tangerines, and a very soft caramel malt coming at the tail end of all of those citrus fruit scents. Wow, this is a tremendous nose on this beer. Hops are the showcase on the initial flavors with plenty of citrus flavors ranging from tangerines, oranges, and grapefruit, and stick pine on the back end of those. The slightly sweet caramel base does its best to balance out the hops flavors and after the beer warmed a bit the malt takes on an almost graham cracker type flavor as well. Even with a few months of age on this the hop profile is still tremendous, and if it has diminished at all a fresh bottle of this beer must be quite the hop heads dream. The mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy, and there is a good dose of warming alcohol in this offering as well. The drinkability is very good and I felt like I could have kept drinking this beer.

Overall: 4.7

Hoppy Christmas in July!

This beer pours a yellow color with orange highlights...it is cloudy with a steady stream of bubbles...the head is white and an inch thick...it falls to a top coating that leaves a ring and spotty lacing...It is glowing, begging me to drink it.

Mmmm this sure smells good...mango, papaya, mandarin oranges, grapefruit, and candied hops in a light syrup...there are also some bread notes...This is the best smelling beer that Ive came across...it tickles my nose!

I taste Heaven... tropical fruits, candied hops, grapefruit, wheat bread, grape jolly ranchers, my first kiss...this really is one hell of a beer! Is this candy or beer?

My mouth doesn't even feel this beer!

It should be a sin to make a beer this potent, this drinkable!...I'm glad that I bought more than one, and I hope that they have more! One of, if not the best beer that Ive ever had!

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

This review is for the summer Yulesmith. What an incredible beer- I really love this brew. To me, this is what a west coast hop bomb should be all about.Even more than Pliny the Elder, I think this beer typifies the pinnacle of the west coast dipa style. Don't get me wrong, I love Pliny, but this beer is even more over the top and for me, a more pure expression of the hops. It pours aslightly hazy orange with a beautiful tight white fluffy head that fades to a cap and leaves some lacing. Impressive for the abv. The smell right off shouts "hop bomb" with gorgeous deep grapefruit and orange rind and pine notes with a whiff of wax. The taste is even more redolent of hops, with the same citrus and pine, and a long deep bitterness nicely balanced on the finish especially by a slight fruity sweetness from the yeast esters and malt. The malt background is there, and quite dry, but it is mostly eclipsed by the hops. You know it is there more by what you don't experience- this is not hop water, but a deep, rich, robust brew. The malt is there, in spades, but as a supporting part and not an equal. Absolutely beautiful. Rich, full mouthfeel keeps it going on. I absolutely love this beer and would drink it by the case were it available locally. Highly recommended.

What follows is a review for Winter Yulesmith, which I also liked but not as much as the Summer stuff. These are two completely different beers and as such I'm going to let my numbers for the summer stuff stand. If I were to seperately rate the summer, it would be:
P: 4
S: 4.5
T: 5
MF: 4.5
D: 4.5

Pours a hazy orange with a decent head. Aromas of honeyed malt and waxy, piney hops. A bit like Hopslam with the honey and pine. Tastes delicious. Slightly sweet with malt perfectly counterbalanced by a huge piney aftertaste. Smooth and slightly sweet in the mouth, this one is quite eaasy to drink, despite the abv.

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

Alesmith - Yulesmith 2003 Edition - Served at Cellar Temperature. This liquid is a dark red colour, that approcahes maroon in shading. The head is big and white, but does not last too long. However, this beer shows off some incredible, thick, white lacing, and a little skim of a head that lasts for the entire glass. The head is also easily brought back with some gentle swirling. Aromas are all heavy hops, super, duper deep balanced malts, and spices of some sort. The taste is a lovely blend of heavy hopping and lovely, deep malting. The mouthfeel is very thick but not at all cloying or "too much". The drinkability at cask serving temperature is absolutely unbelievably good! This stuff produces lovely, malty hop burps and I could easily drink this brew all night long. This is some damn-fine classic stuff!

Francis.

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

Pours a golden with a white head, thickness is apparent from the beginning. Looks live velvet with a huge sticky head.

Intense sweet pinesap aroma, this is a holiday beer. Citrus rind shows up in the background.

Sweet almost butterscotch and toffee malt dominate as an incoming wave of hop flavor and bitterness approaches. It seems as if the pine and citrus are going to overwhelm but they fall short and maintain a perfect balance. Alcohol is slick and sticky, finishes dry.

Full bodied, light smooth carbonation.

You could guzzle this, it's that good. Alcohol is hardly an issue while drinking. Amazing beer, perfectly balanced. PERFECTLY.

4.95/5  rDev +17.6%

Summer Holiday version bottled on 6/4/13. Pours a hazy yellow gold color with a 2 finger foamy off white head that was full of little bubbles, fading very slowly leaving and forming canyons as it sinks, then leaving great foamy lacing and rings as it went down; solid looking IPA.

Smells like pineapple, mango and orange from a few inches away and just assaults your nose with citrus hops; the smell is a wonderful combo of citrus fruit like lemon, pineapple, mango, orange and all things citrus hops, as well as strong piney hops, mild spices, floral hops, caramel, sweet malt and more fruity sweetness – it’s astonishing how fresh and fruity this smells since it was bottled over 6 months ago. Hop heaven, and almost unbelievably great smelling.

The flavor is as good or maybe better than the smell with a combo of citrus fruit like pineapple, mango, orange, lemon, and maybe something crazy like starfruit or papaya since it’s so fruity, so then of course you have fresh citrus hops, strong piney hops, caramel, grains, brown sugar, floral hops, graham cracker, tea leaf, herbs, wet grass and very mild spices that are offset by the malt backbone. The malt comes through but lets the fresh, juicy citrus flavor dominate and dazzle with complexity as the resinous hop juice seems to be wrung from the cone and into the bottle. I expected a good beer when I picked this bomber up and it blew me away, far exceeding my expectations and becoming a top 10 beer IMO.

Mouthfeel is near perfection for a DIPA with this ABV; mild ABV burn, mild bitterness, a medium chewy body with light carbonation and an overall hop sweetness that is kept in check by a nice malt backing that has fine accents to make it a perfectly balanced and easy drinking IPA.

Very few flaws here as the bitterness and aftertaste are enjoyable, while the balance and combination of flavor elements keeps it interesting and delicious at the same time. This bomber cost $10 and was worth every penny tenfold; a world class beer that I highly recommend and will seek out as often as possible. I’m going to buy another bottle(s) of this ASAP as it was a great beer and great drinking experience. This beer kicks ass, go drink some.

4.95/5  rDev +17.6%

This beer pours very nice deep amber color with 3 fingers of head that fall to 2 fingers. The nose is just wow. The hops are so bright and full. Pine and citrus and a hint of underlying caramel sweetness. The flavor is more subdued that the nose would tell you. Wow. I really like it. There is a really deep caramel sweetness overlayed heavily with a fine balance between the pine and citrus. Very nice. The feel is just as thick as would be expected. Drinkability is also grand for a beer of this size and magnitude. Wow. I think I am in love. Great great beer.

4.95/5  rDev +17.6%

2007 Holiday Ale version with Christmas colors. No freshness date that I can see.

Poured into a tulip. Perfect "pourability"- handled like a racecar. Head developed right on tilt and climbed confidently over the rim. Developed a beautiful meringue with dimples and potholes of which I wanted to dive into. Beautiful amber color. Brings memories of one of the most beautiful beer pictures I've ever seen: a back lit amber ale on the cover of an excellent homebrewers guide book.

Malty aroma is balanced perfectly with the floral hops. Wonderfully rich crystal malts are paired with, possibly, Willamette hops. Aromas of caramel, nutmeg, sugar pine, and custard offer a hint of what is to come.

Oh My. The delicious malty silkiness is slapped right away by the wonderfully bountiful hops. (Sorry for all of the "roundy" adjectives but that's what it makes you do!) Flavors of nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon bring the holiday warmth. The mild smokey flavor reminds me of one of my favorite ales I used to be able to find- Pike Brewing Co. Ale, but with a serious steroid addiction. It seems to me, and I love this, that Alesmith has managed to brew a holiday ale with all of the wonderfully spicy charateristics we've come to expect but without all of the spices. Just malts and hops and yeast!

Moutfeel: the only negative (and it's not that bad- wish I could give it a 4.95) is that it is a little too effervesent. Other than that, it is amazing.

I love this beer. My only regret is that I did not buy more of it. (I will tomorrow).

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Thanks to mrmiles for the bomber! (reviewed from notes 9/25)

A: Pours a very hazy gold/straw color with a big fluffy head. Retention is perfect! Gorgeous pour, and the head is similar to Alesmith's IPA, which basically looks like meringue

S: The nose is kind of subtle, but very balanced. Lots of pale malts play well with a huge citrus note (tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, and mango). This is awesome - Sculpin's cousin

T: Huge bitterness upfront that is balanced by a nice honey-like sweetness. Yeast is unique, and quite flavorful. Citrus, tropical fruit hops are here also.

MF/D: Slightly prickly carbonation, but otherwise medium body and pretty smooth. Bittersweet citrus finish.

Notes: AleSmith makes some damn good offerings. I believe this is my third offering after Speedway and their IPA, all of which received near-perfect scores.

On draft @ Beachwood

Poured a godly copper color with a nice lacy head

Aromatics are out of this world. Intense fresh greeny hop scents explode for the glass. Slightly fruity and citrusy

Tastes backup the smell. Grassy, piney, citrusy, a hint of alcohol, and a nice hoppy finish. The freshness lingers in your mouth after swallowing.

Mouthfeel was as expected. Medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall an outstanding beer and would recommend to any hop heads. The freshness just blew me away.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

pours a nice golden colour, with a thich creamy head that dissipated fairly quickly but leaves a bit of lacing the whole way down the glass.

aroma is almost all hops, with a slightly malty background. the hops are bright and floral.

taste is hoppy, with a bit of alcohol warmth on the way down. fresh hoppy flavour. grapefruit and a bit of apricot. strong hop bitterness, that comes on strong and finishes fairly smooth.

overall the body doesn't feel that "big" and it's quite easy to drink, but half way through the glass i'm already starting to feel full. quite hard to put down though, as it's just so damn tasty.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Appearance: Medium red-orange body, big white head leavs quite a bit of sticky lace, lingers long after the pour.

Smell: Hops everywhere, citrus, lots of pine, a shot of alcohol, all of which leaves a menthol like tingle in the nose. Rich and spicy, ripe orange and tea.

Taste: Mellow at first, but develops itself into a rich and highly bitter beer. Smooth as silk, flavors transition and work together well. Alcohol on the backside tingles and warms. What a beer, I wish it wasn't June.

Drinkability: Up there with the best of the style, for sure, but maybe not the best. Thanks to BigNick (if I remember correctly) for the bottle.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

I am reviewing the summer 2007 release. I sampled this beer on-tap at San Gabriel's finest, the Stuffed Sandwich.

A - The beer poured a clear amber color with the head almost forming in clusters. Near perfect retention.

S - The aroma is overwhelmingly composed of fresh hops with a strong citric character as well. This one is a real beauty.

T - With this beer, it really came in stages. At first, the beer was very malty, with the citric elements really coming out later from the hop character. I'm getting orange, grapefruit, lemon. Very well balanced and the alcohol is hidden well.

M - The body is medium and the character of the beer is surprisingly creamy. Add to that a crisp but mild level carbonation.

D - Don't bother aging this (or any other DIPA). Drink it fresh! AleSmith has a winner here. Like most AleSmith beer, this one is a bit pricey to obtain retail, so I suggest doing your homework and finding a place that is lucky enough to have a fresh batch on tap. This may sound unrealistic for people outside of SoCal, but you might get lucky.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Lightly foggy nectarine with honey colored edges. My usual pour produced a surprisingly large cap. As it settles, I can appreciate its magnificence. The firmly creamy foam is pale gold in color, with a cobbled upper surface that maintains contact with the pint glass in multiple spots. When the sticky foam bridges break, they leave a beautiful array of lace. What's not to love?

The nose is a hophead's dream come true. I remember wishing the Winter release had less caramel malt and more pale malt. Summer has granted my wish (kudos to the brewery for giving us two versions of the same great beer). Beautifully pungent American hops fill the atmosphere with sweetened pineapple, white grapefruit, candied orange peel and Scotch pine. I'm actually beginning to drool.

YuleSmith Summer is one of the most delicous, drinkable DIPAs that I've ever had. The only thing keeping the Winter release from perfection was, again, the use of a hefty amount of caramel malt. Which, by the way, turns it into an Imperial red ale (just ask the brewers). Both versions are great, but I slightly prefer this one.

I'm not sure how old the bottle is (it's definitely from *this* summer), but I expected a shade more hoppiness. Don't get me wrong, it's a tongue abuser par excellence, it just isn't as 'in your face' as I remember the Winter version being. When the brewery calls it balanced, they aren't that far off the mark.

The prodigious malt backbone contributes very little flavor. I'm reminded of sugar cookies and honey-like malts, though they're in the background. The foreground is occupied by wave upon wave of sunshine bright, C-hop deliciousness. Again, pineapple, grapefruit, orange, (and now) lemon fill every nook and cranny on every last taste bud. A minimal alcohol presence is easily ignored.

The mouthfeel isn't the perfection that the other version was, but then a lot of time has passed and a lot of beer has been consumed in the interim. It's midway between medium and full (for the style) and is a fraction too carbonated to be considered ideal. Time is beginning to soften things up very nicely.

AleSmith is a permanent member of my 'top 10 American craft breweries of all-time' on the strength of IPA, Speedway Stout and both versions of YuleSmith. Not that the rest aren't worthy, but those four are four of the finest ales that I've ever had the pleasure to drink. Bottom line: I can count on one hand the number of DIPAs that are better than YuleSmith Summer.

Reviewed sometime during the summer of 2008. I don't recall the exact date since there weren't separate entries at that time for YuleSmith Summer and YuleSmith Winter.

4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

Drank from a 1 pt. 6 fl. oz. bottle (Winter version)

Poured a hazy, crimson-amber with a three-finger, foamy, light tan head. The head slowly faded to a whip cream-like, thick film which lasted until the beer was finished. Tons of large, sticky clumps of lacing also lasted long after the beer was done.

Smell was absolutely amazing (I could smell it when my nose was a foot away from the glass). Potently hoppy yet smooth, sweet and rich with a creamy, malty backbone. Amazingly well balanced. Some holiday spices (mulling spices) were also quite noticeable, as was some candied sugar.

Like the aroma, the taste was outstanding. Malty sweet up front with noticeable rich, candy-like caramel malts. Smooth and ridiculously creamy (this must have been due to the yeast strain). Intense spices kicked in mid-palate, along with the rich, citrusy hops. The hop presence took hold and carried into the finish yet, surprisingly, it never became overwhelming. The hop intensity became more subdued, yet the hop flavor turned more bitter (grapefruit-like) and biting. Some alcohol was noticeable with a numbing alcohol warming in the back of the throat and the mouth. The huge, hoppy, pleasantly bitter aftertaste resonated.

Mouthfeel was very creamy, rich, full-bodied and smooth.

Drinkability was terrific. Considering this is a West Coast D.I.P.A, it was amazingly well balanced. Furthermore, the 8.5% ABV seemed to be fairly well masked by the strong flavors. The effect the alcohol had on me, however, was quite remarkable.

All in all, this is a beautiful beer. So flavorful, rich and enjoyable - it is perfect for savoring with a friend on a cold winter night.

4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

This review is for the cask version. I have had this one a few times in the past but tonight was my first that was hand pulled. I had this as the third of my trifecta after the Anvil and speedway. It is hard to follow up Speedway, but this delivered. What arrived at my table was a beautiful brew. A thick 1/2" foam was suspended over a medium copper brew. I thought to myself, this is what a beer should look like. the head retained its size and shape throughout as i consumed this elixir. The smell was clean and hoppy, slightly less hoppy than one would expect from a 2XIPA, but very nice indeed.

When you sip on this you immediately realize how well balanced it is for the style. The hops are there in their grapefruity resiny goodness as you would expect but they are not over the top and are well balanced with the malt. The mouthfeel was wonderful, creamy, rich with the perfect ammount of carbonation. the beer clung to your mouth without being too thick. i could drink these all night but unfortunately SD doesnt have reliable public transport so i had to peel myself away after my second to drive home.

Highly recommended, especially if you are lucky to find the cask version. This is what i will miss when i move back to NYC

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

First off this has been a holy grail ale for me one of those beers that you've come close to attempted to order off line but it was sold out made it to the beer store just to have the last few bottles grabbed. Now here I sit contemplating drinking something with so much hype behind it, I know it's time. The appearance is amazing deep ruby red body with hop and yeast particles flowing around in the stream of bubbles arising toward the head. Thicket of beige head sits righteously above the rim of my Gulden Draak glass sculpted so well with projectiles hanging off the side of my glass reaching for me. Chunky and cloudy residual proteins were good for this beers head. Aroma is big on wintergreen mint and pine cone hop accents I detect earthy herbal and dirt like hop overtones within it's festive bowels. The winter green Christmas tree effect is crazy it actually burns nose hairs and sweet deep caramel or spiced Christmas bread like warmth rises up as well. Flavors collide with hops as you take the first sip it actually stings the palate with hop bitterness, think of a group of bees attacking your palate after just landing on a hop plant. Sturdy effervescent carbonation really takes over with each sip and the hop oils engrave their name right on your palate it's awesome. After pouring in the last bits of yeast sediment into the glass the flavor balances into this unique West Coast poetry in motion DIPA, it's a one of a kind experience. Mouthfeel is huge textured with hop oils full bodied with ample carbonation bringing out the best of the best for this particular beer. Drinkabability is off the charts as far as I'm concerned this is a beer I could crave and possibly attempt to drink all day and this could probably be the reason that they only release it as a limited release once a year.

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

probably the best double ipa I've ever had. Incredible balance. Nice thick malts followed by a great hop bitterness. Alcohol presence is nice in the backround and not at all overbearing. Don't notice the 8.8% at all. This is one of the most smooth dipas that I've ever had. I can't wait to try the summer version. The one I reviewed is the winter version.

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

First off: big thanks to drewbage for the chance to sample this.

Yulesmith pours a cloudy, midrange amber with very little head. Leaves tons of sticky lacing in the glass as you go.

Nose is piney, with a slight candied edge to it.

Flavor is fantastic. Citrus bitterness comes through brilliantly, with grapefruit, acidic apple, and apricot all coming out. Malt balances on the midsip very nicely and the aftertaste is nice and bitter.

Carbonation is just right, making for an excellent mouthfeel. This avoids feeling overly resinous on the palate like many other DIPA's.

Wonderfully drinkable.

This is the first DIPA I've fallen in love with. To me, this really tasted less like many of the DIPA's I've tried and more like a teriffic IPA that packs one helluva punch! They really need to expand production so I can have this on the East Coast regularly.

Excellent stuff.

Update: They have expanded production, and I've been able to keep my cellar well-stocked. This has become my new favorite, though drinking a bomber of this by myself often makes for an interesting night!

Wyll-