YuleSmith (Summer) - AleSmith Brewing Company

YuleSmith (Summer)YuleSmith (Summer)

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: xlperro on 11-24-2002

Lots of hops with a nice malty backbone on this one. It is released twice yearly; once in the Summer and once in the late Fall / early Winter. Winter bottles have green & red ink, Summer is blue & red. There is a variation in the malt bill for each version.
Reviews: 920 | Hads: 1,756
4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Summer version. Golden amber color with an absurdly sticky head that leaves unparalleled lacing on the glass. Aroma is floral and citrusy hops with a very sweet maltiness. Flavor follows the aroma, with a nice dose of fruity hops and a sumptuous caramel malt profile that melts into a solid hop bitterness. Rich and luxurious on the palate. (340 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance - A dark ruby red almost mahogany color, with an off white almost yellow head. The head alone was a site, it ballooned half way up the glass and mushroomed over the top. Lacing is so thick and heavy that none of the top of the beer is present. Even after subsiding an inch thick of clumpy, puffy creaminess stayed firmly in place. Almost like meringue on top of a pie. The best head I have seen on any imperial IPA.

Smell - Lots of hops but in a creamy sort of way. You can tell this beer is gonna have a decent amount of malt to it. As a matter of fact it almost smells like a dark belgian quad! The nose has so much depth to it that it's really hard to grasp.

Taste & Mouthfeel - This is a big beer with a full body and chewy mouth watering flavor. There is a smattering of west coast hops, but what makes this beer the ambrosia it is, is the heavy caramel malt and honey backbone. The malts really anchor this one, and in a lot of ways steal the show. Unlike most Double IPA's that come out heavy and almost taste like a barleywine, this one pulls off the combination like no other. I've never had a big double ipa the matches this one in stunning perfection. Hops and creamy caramel malts. My oh my!

Drinkability - I'm really getting tired of Alesmith ruining every other brewery for me. There's no way anyone can live up to their excellence. I have no choice but to move to San Diego and give up all other beers except those that are brewed under the Alesmith banner. Well, maybe i'm just bullshitting, but hey could you blame me? (1,549 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.6%

This review is for the Winter release.

I was rather eager to try this... a highly regarded member of my favorite style, and as the place I go to near work is the only place in MA that I know of that brings in AleSmith, damn lucky to get it too.

This was a wonderfully amber brew with a creamy, foamy three finger head that formed a wonderful crown as I poured. I almost poured too much... watched it rise half an inch above the rim of the glass, but it held together well. Lots of lacing as it died down.

Aroma was of pine and hop resins, without a doubt a hop monster. However, there was also a touch of sweetness, and a firm malt backbone.

Taste was bombastic... (and yes, I am using that word just because I hardly ever get to use it, what the hell, it's New Year's Eve and I am watching the Blues Brothers. All is right with the world.) Loaded with hop bitterness... tons of alpha acids, pine, a faint hint of citrus, resins, and did I say pine? Wow. But powerful as it was, it wasn't overpowering. The malt played a wonderful supporting role, holding up the hops in the limelight. Damn, this is so good. If I look, I can find the alcohol, but it is so well masked it's hard to believe it's 8.5%.

Mouthfeel is good, chewy but not sticky, full-bodied. Not highly carbonated, either. Really really good.

Drinkability is really good... I'd love to give it a 5, but I think one is enough for me. Given the high ABV and the incredible hoppiness, even a hophead like me can have his fill with this one. (1,519 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.6%

Wow, great beer. I love big hop beers but didn't expect this from a Christmas beer.

Appearance- Shallow yet dense head, beige in color but quick to fall back to a narrow layer of head. Copper in color; matches the style. The bottle could be more impressive as I almost passed this up while shopping for my Christmas beers. Head left a mark in the glass with every swig, stuck around through the 22oz. bottle.

Smell- What can I say, I love this style. Big citrus/slight piney aroma with a balanced malt aroma to balance. To be honest I got very excited after opening this bottle and taking the first whiff. I have tried many holiday ales this season and this may be the best thus far. Not necessarily what many may expect in a holiday ale but us hop heads will have a very merry Christmas with this one in the stocking.

Taste- Big taste of hops, citrusy at first followed by pine and then a spicy malt finish. Not sure if it is the ETOH level that gives it the spice or the yeast but it rolls off the tongue quite easy leaving me grabbing for another swig.

Mouth feel- Like I said there is a bit of spice or hotness but it is balanced out with the malt and hops. Carbonation may be a bit higher than expected but I did buy it off a room temp. shelf and it is a bottle conditioned beer.

D- Great holiday beer, wish more brewers would take this route. Good brew for any time of year but this will keep you warm through the cold winter months.

Cheers! (1,456 characters)

22 oz bomber.

Festive silk-screened bottle commemorating the holiday season. Hazy orange glow..sticky head of off-white foam that leaves random patterns of lacing. The smell is tremendous juicy, citrus hops..just when you think it can't get much better...the boldness in aroma is topped by it's intense taste. Resinous hop flavors jump around on the tongue and it has a fantastic finishing bitterness. There is a thick caramel malt presence holding this heavyweight together, and the warming effect it has on your entire body is well received. While you know this brew is imbibed with an enormous amount of hops, it's endlessly drinkable. I think the glass spent more time in my hand than it did on the table, because it was very hard to set this one down inbetween sips. How this can be this smooth with the barrage of ingredients, I'll never know.. very creamy, full mouthfeel. Well-deserved of it's high marks, this brew is a testament of brewing quality and hard work. Phenomenal..extraordinary..beer.

Graciously given by Jetsbeer in trade. (1,050 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

All I can say is perfection. I went to the Brewer and they allowed me to bring a case home even though it was still conditioning in the bottle. So far I've had the 2002 in 2002 and just had this 2003. The 2003 is a different beer than the 2002. The 2002 was more perfumy, less malt profile, but still unbelievable. The 2003 has more malt flavor but is just as bitter. The mouthfeel, like all Alesmith beers except the speedway, is exactly like real ale. Smooth, tiny little bubbles begging for you to drink more. The flavor is perfect. Really hoppy without the last 1% northwest super bite (which I also like) and just malty enough for you to say "wow". Pure perfection and better than any double IPA I've ever had, including Dogfish, Bear Republic, Stone, Pizza Port, 3 Floyds, Rofue, Alpine, Sieera Nevada, Deschutes, Marin, Lagunitas, Moylans, and Ballast. (859 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Presentation: Festive brown bomber with a nice little paragraph on the back talking about how to best enjoy the beer. It states that this beer is a "tradition end of the year treat". Well, far be it from me to stand in the way of tradition!

Appearance: Pours a deep and clear ruby red with a chunky and pillowy white head. It looks so perfect in my snifter.

Smell: Hop oils are off the hook! This is a full frontal hop assault on the nose. Pine resin, citrus, orange rind, grapefruit, and lemon zest all swirl together to form a hop bomb for the nose. It's too awesome to describe.

Taste: Yipes! Pine resin and bitter hop oils flood the palate. The only thing that keeps coming to mind is grapefruit and orange. I'm not getting any malt presence at all. There is a touch of sweetness to it but only in the context of a sweetness that you would get with a citrus fruit. I'm at a loss. My palate is at a loss. This is truly the nectar of beer gods.

Mouthfeel: Thick and oily. Alcohol warms the pipes and this beer is just so big and bad that it lingers. Oh yes, it lingers. Cool hop burps too.

Drinkability: I had to knock off a half point for this one. Only because I would WANT to drink more but I know I shouldn't. This stuff is so good. If all other beer became extinct I would be sure to save this one. My palate is totally blown after this one though.

Notes: I can see why this would be a holiday beer. I drank this while decorating our freshly cut Christmas tree with my wife. It seemed appropriate because I imagined that this beer would taste like if I sucked the sap right from the trunk of our freshly cut tree. However, this beer was much more fun and enjoyable than sucking on the tree.

Go get this beer and make your holidays merry and bright. Light the tree and yourself too. (1,809 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

I am trying the winter release, I got this from Bellport Beer. This beer pours an amazingly dark amber, which is clousy with a 1 finger light tan head. The smeel is very well balanced between citrus and malts, I knew I was in for a treat with this one! The flavor of this DIPA is amazing! Perfect balance between a citrusy hops flavor and a creamy malt flavor, with a little hint of nuts. The mouthfeel suprisingly is very nice for a DIPA I would assume this is because its not a 10+ %'er but its nice and creamy and almost my first perfect 5 beer. This is a highly drinkable beer, something I would want to drink all night but I am sure I would be defeated first! An amazing brew and I might just go up to Bellport and buy the rest that are available! (752 characters)

Red and Green version.

Poured into a pint glass. Enormously impressive (and somewhat wild) head that stubbornly clings to the glass. Gorgeous raw-honey appearance, with a little sediment.

Smells slightly sweet, some spice and citrus, and plenty of hops.

A rich sweetness with a nice backbone of bitter hops. Almost over-ripe fruit, caramel, honey, and a hint of bitter chocolate. Amazingly well-balanced for a beer with so much flavor.

Just the right amount of carbonation to keep it honest. An incredibly intense experience, yet somehow I could drink this amazing stuff all night. (593 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +13.9%

Summer Yulesmith out of the bottle into a snifter it is very golden with little head. the smell is quite powerful with a strong grapefruit scent. very smooth, light carbonation. starts out smooth and after the swallow the hop bitterness hits you and lingers. after drinking the regular IPA i was not sure how Alesmith could make a double IPA but they did it, and to perfection. I can taste the hops minutes after the last drink. the back of my mouth almost tingles. smashing success! (483 characters)

Winter 2006 and 2007 Release

Drank the 2007 from a snifter glass

A - Amber-copper colored ale with a creamy tan head. Cloudy, as you would expect from a bottle-conditioned ale. Real cloudy if you pour all of yeast from the bottom of the bottle into your glass.

S - Aroma of grapefruit/floral hops and some pine notes.

T - Massive flavor but with great balance. The sweetness of the malt on the tongue is very well balanced (perfectly balanced to my taste) by the hops. In spite of having a considerable amount of hops, the finish is not excessively bitter.

M - Medium mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation.

D - One of the best IPA's I’ve tried. Probably a good pairing with cheese. But, it’s great alone. If it weren’t for the fact that this is an 8.8% beer I would say it the perfect session beer because, as far as taste alone, I could drink it all night. (880 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance: Hazy yellow-copper body. Nice size off-white head that diminishes to a floating lace.

Nose: Pungent piney hops. Maybe even some cherries or apples as well. As the beer warms, the lightest alcohol phenols start to show up.

Taste: Yes, big piney hops and then some. A stabbing citrus fruitiness towards the end. Some warming alcohol. Strong bitter hop aftertaste with some caramel malt flavor if you look hard enough.

Mouthfeel: Oily mouthfeel. Definitely smooth, but I would still prefer just a little less carbonation.

Drinkability: I drank this 22 oz bomber in a flash. Get some MF!

Thanks to Jetsbeer for letting me know where I could purchase this beer online. It shipped well and was consumed just as well. (741 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Presented in a 22oz bottle. Alesmith's summer limited release of a usual late fall seasonal had me chomping at the bit to uncap one last night. Poured into an imperial pint glass (just the right size), Yulesmith had a burnished coppery hue and sported a large dense whitish head that never completely went away, instead leaving great sticky gobs of lace behind. Massive amounts of fine carbonation swirled to the surface. Beautiful...
The nose had a wonderful balance of toasted malts, caramel, and citrusy hops. The aromas of grapefruit rinds, a bit of tangerine, and a resiny pine note gave me pause to linger and enjoy the smells for a couple extra moments.
The taste had a big malty sweetness up front, aided by the additional caramel flavor that seemed to stand out. Some faint nutty flavor seeped through, like hazelnuts, before the hops profile ramped up and took charge. A big burst of juicy citrusy hops flavor filled the back of the tongue and clung on for dear life. Some milder oily pine resin flavor hit the extreme back of the tongue, leaving a long-lasting bitterness that was quite enjoyable. Thanks to the abundant carbonation, Yulesmith had a lush, creamy feel that slathered the mouth in hoppy goodness.
What, Yulesmith is 8.80%ABV?! No way! Then this beer is dangerously drinkable, having given no indication as to its potency. Yulesmith is my favorite double IPA, even surpassing Dreadnaught. I can't wait for the fall so I can really stock up. (1,468 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Reddish/amber body loaded with tiny bubbles. Huge frothy yellowish/off-white head with tremendous stamina. This head is really a work of art, I have no idea how they achieved such a towering mass of foam.

Nose is candied grapefruit with a hint of sweet marshmallow. My God! I never thought I could find a nose better than SNCA. It smells like IPA heaven.

Flavor is huge with citrus, piney-ness comes in a close second. Plenty of sweetness with a subdued, but noticeable, caramelly malt backbone. It's really a great and well balanced IPA. Very different from the norm. A great entry in the "Best IPAs Ever" category.

Mouthfeel is fairly thick, substantial and chewy, for an IPA. There is plenty of body present, almost a syrupy quality.

Drinkability is off the charts. I can't get over how easy it is to drink. It's almost too tasty to stop drinking.

A champion among IPAs. Really. (899 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

BIG thank you to ren for tracking a couple bottles of this deliciousness down for me.

APPEARANCE: This is easily one of the best, if not THE best looking beer I've seen. This beer looked alive. A gorgeous, golden yellow in color with a stark white head on top that did not completely recede for the entire glass. Lacing began about a quarter of the way down the glass and covered a good 70% of the back side of the glass.

SMELL: Pine. I took a quick sniff when I popped the bottle open and it smelled like a big, classic, West Coast IPA with a ton of pine. Upon the first pour the aroma opened up and I did not even need to put my nose to the glass to smell it. Intense and delicious aroma.

TASTE: Bold, piney and very hoppy. The pine hits the palate up front followed by grapefruit and a touch of anise to wash away the pine and bring a strong, bitter finish.

MOUTHFEEL: Outstanding mouthfeel that only served to add to the enjoyment of this beer. Well carbonated and playful are the best terms to describe the mouthfeel.

OVERALL: Many others have said that this beer is a spot-on example of what a DIPA is supposed to be and they are correct. I was blown away by how technically perfect this beer was. At the same time, unlike Pliny the Elder, which I can recognize as a nearly technically perfect beer, the YuleSmith has some soul to it where Pliny lacked. This is outstanding beer that I cannot wait to try again. Thanks a ton for the bottles ren! (1,457 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

This highly regarded DIPA came to me via nvsblman. The 22 oz. bomber had a painted label appropriate for the holiday season. Opening the bottle and pouring it in the tulip was a joy to the senses, as the luscious burnt orange liquid slipped out of the bomber and produced a cascade of bubbles that erupted in a crowning, foamy, off white head. The underlying beer was dense, and cloudy, and gave a good indication of the solid malt foundation that formed it. The lacing was magnificently thick, as the head hung around for a while and kept coating the sides of the glass.

The hops assault on the nose began the moment the cap was popped, and bringing the glass to the nose unleashed more of it prior to each sip. Lovely citric fruit peels, and spruce and pine resin were among the many forms that this hop aroma took.

The taste was very bitter up front, as the hop oils exploded in my mouth. The malts were definitely there to back things up with their sweet caramelized, toasty, and faintly smoky self, but there was no mistaking about the mission of this beer. It was to get as many hops into your mouth as possible without going over the top. The hops were never overpowering as unpleasant, but instead kept the drinking session alive..

The beer felt marvelously thick in my mouth, as the body was on the right side of medium. The tongue coating body definitely let the hop residue sit on my tongue longer which left a lingering bitter-sweet aftertaste. As it faded, the brain signaled that it was time for another sip, which is a testament to the awesome drinkability of this beer despite the strength and hop presence. Speaking of strength, the 8.5% ABV hardly ever registered on the radar screen. In the end I was bowled over by the deceptive charm of this hoppy beauty. (1,786 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

I have sampled this treasure a few times in the past and thanks to my new Buffalo BA buddy Orfeu I have a bomber to myself.Poured a deep hazed burnt orange/peach with a creamy 2 finger head that stays for the whole way down with a brillinat ring showing thru and globs of lace left as I drank more.Honestly what can be said about great it smells deep resiny piney hop with notes of apricot and lemon pith in my mind there is not a beer out there that has such a complex hop profile,a big sweet brown sugar elemant show thru as well.The malt must be really packed in this brew to keep at least close to balanced because there is just such massive amount of hop flavors,apricot shows thru with a touch of overipe pineapple and then the oily,resiny character come thru with a hefty sweet malt base showing thru making it almost sticky.Has a great creamy mouthfeel texture it just glides down in near perfection,this maybe the standard American DIPA with its huge hoppiness and big sweet malt backbone just unbeliavable.

This was the summer release not the more recent fall/winter release. (1,088 characters)

Winter 2006

Appearance: Pours dark copper with huge off white (almost tan) thick, burly head... in fact it's a little overboard and it made me wait for it to settle on a gentle pour. The retention is fantastic and the lacing loks like frost on the windows in winter.

Smell: Orange comes through sweetly and so do piney or cedary hops. It kinda smells like the holidays.

Taste: Orange hits again with a great malt accompaniment. A hint of the piney cidery hops mix with a nutty and bready undertone to balance out the taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth and an aftertaste of subtle bitterness allow the alcohol to round out the experience as perfection.

Drinkability: Very smooth, tasty and easy to drink, this is amazing. (740 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

"That's fucking good." - My wife, upon tasting this beer.

Summer 2010 version, scored a bottle at Halftime Beverage in Poughkeepsie recently. Consumed on 11-10-10.

A: Poured into a Duvel tulip. Body is clear, bright honey-golden, with a 1+ finger of whitish head on top. Some rings of lace up top, followed by good splotchy lace thereafter. Loads and loads of finely-bubbled carbonation rises from the etched Duvel "D".

S: This is the DIPA nose that makes me want to stick my nose in the glass and inhale - over and over again. I get lots of citrus (grapefruit and oranges), tropical fruits (pineapple definitely) and even apricot. Touch of malty sweetness underneath - think sugar cookie dough. Some pine too. If I could give a score higher than 5, I'd give it to the nose of this beer. Wonderful.

T: Follows the nose, but in a real balanced way. That sugar cookie dough is there announcing the malt's presence. It's modest, but it's not getting beaten back by the juicy, fruit-salad-like hops entirely. But those hops are the star of the show: juicy citrus (clementine oranges and grapefruit), tropical fruit and a bit of pine towards the end. Candied apricots too. Also just a touch of spice, which is more evident in the burps than on the way down. Somewhat lemony bitterness in the aftertaste after the more juicy hops up front.

M: Smoooth. That fine carbonation has created a wonderful feel to this beer. Call the heft medium-to-heavy, but the bright hops seem to lighten it up. Juicy and creamy. Very nice.

D: I could put this down in no time, notwithstanding the 8.5% ABV. Really enjoying this one.

Notes: This is the best DIPA I've had in a very long time. Rivals Stone X and Goose Island Imperial - two retired DIPAs that are seared in my mind forever. If I can get this next year, I will buy a case. Seriously. (1,828 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

Growler (picked up at the brewery earlier today) poured into a mug.

Note: this is the Summer 2007 / Double IPA Holiday YuleSmith.

Appearance: Pours a nice golden-orange color (almost amber). Very clear. Slightly off-white head is very big, thick, and foamy, with lots of retention.

Smell: Lovely bold flowery citrus flavor (lemon, orange, etc.). Nice light piney (and slightly bitter) undertones.

Taste: Nice balance of citrus flavors and piney, bitter, hops. Not particularly complex, but the balance is really great for this type of beer. The aftertaste is predominantly hoppy, but with a flavorful background.

Mouthfeel: Exceptionally smooth and medium-bodied. Light carbonation feel.

Drinkability: Rather strong (alcohol-wise) but never overwhelming.

This is really a fantastic beer. A week ago I had a sampler of this, and picked up a growler today. Addictive and enjoyable. The flavors seem in the proper proportions for this type of beer -- I get the sense that AleSmith is trying to make a good beer, rather than an over-the-top beer (like many double IPAs I've encountered). Very refreshing, and highly recommended. (1,145 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

22 0z bottle into a snifter.
Pours a lemon-orange with a huge pure white head. This head retention was as good as I have seen on an IPA and the lacing was extraordinary as well. Aroma is a wonderful nose of floral, pine, grapefruit, orange. The taste begins with some pineapple, grapefruit, peach and orange and some sweet malt (caramel/honey). This gives way to a little spice, some light bready notes and ends with a nice hop bite. Mouthfeel is creamy, medium with moderate carbonation. This beer has such a nice balance - nice edge/graininess and hops perfectly balanced with the sweetness of the malts both as you drink it and after. This is a great beer and one I will aggressively seek out again. (702 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Brought back a bottle from New Beer while i was in New York.

A - A deep crimson red with pillowy off white head 2-3 fingers thick in the glass. Lots of lacing.

S - Nice and hoppy, sweet malt scent.

T - Wow, what can I say. I didn't even get the actual beer in my mouth and I was hooked. The head tasted fantastic. Its hoppy, a little sweet, perfectly malted and perfectly hopped. Its like an Imperial IPA nirvana.

M - Low carbonation, mellow and slick.

D - This is awesome. I really can't tell you how much I love this beer. I wish I had access to it 24-7-365. I mean the taste is just amazing. If your a hope head this has got to be in your top 5, maybe even top 3. This beer simply amazed me. I will now wipe my drool and go back to drinking it. Enjoy this at all costs! (779 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours an illuminating orange glow. Nice sturdy tan head holds in place and tons of lacing around the sides.

Aroma is very citrusy, lots of orange in there, decent amount of piney notes as well but not really sharp, there's a honeyish sweetness under the pine.

I get a nice honey sweetness up front but that is almost immediately offset by a strong citrusy, extremely juicy full hoppiness. The hops come off extremely juicy with tons of flavor and a good amount of bitterness as well. Caramel resides under the hop juices as the base and tempers the bitterness. As it warms slightly the bready yeastiness comes out and provides another spectacular dimension to this beer. Alcohol is scantly noticeable save for the finish. Dry, acidic finish with a slight sweetness in there. The finish makes me want to drink more and more. Amazing beer, too bad for the price, still worth it though imo. (895 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Hoo boy, what a hammerhead of a beer. Just makes me all warm and fuzzy. Red & blue 06 version.

Gorgeous amber with a white pillow top dollop of cream floating on this beverage. Has an aroma close to barley wine – sweet caramel malt with a citrus hop background. Yum.

And the taste did not let me down, what a great blend of orange, citrus, caramel and a finish of floral hop, Just a slight bite of alcohol to keep it interesting.

Sharp and tangy with a bit of an oily finish. I’m a better man for trying this – thanks to the bomber provided through the Simply Beer BIF from Mike (mcallister) (603 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a clear, deep tan with an explosive foamy head that spins a sticky web on the glass.

Deep, piney hop scent mixes so well with the woody alcohol and malt scents. It's Christmas in a bottle.

WONDERFUL piney hop and almost smokey malt with a heart-warming alcohol show. Fabulous balance of sweet malt and bitter hops. The flavor is so full and round and juicy. This is in a class all its own.

Somewhat oily mouthfeel, not full in the mouth. A pine-sap film sticks to the teeth.

Easy with this, it'll kick yer arse. But get some if you can. It's a wonderful brew. Many, many thanks to hustlemuscle for the gift. (625 characters)

YuleSmith (Summer) from AleSmith Brewing Company