YuleSmith (Summer) - AleSmith Brewing Company

YuleSmith (Summer)YuleSmith (Summer)

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: xlperro on 11-24-2002

Lots of hops with a nice malty backbone on this one. It is released twice yearly; once in the Summer and once in the late Fall / early Winter. Winter bottles have green & red ink, Summer is blue & red. There is a variation in the malt bill for each version.
Reviews: 922 | Hads: 1,762
3.85/5  rDev -9%

Blue/Red colour scheme indicating Summer production. My sincerest apologies as I do not remember from whom I got this one, but I did get it in part of a trade some months back. Many thanks to this mystery BA for throwing this one in.
Appearance looked nice, with a thick, creamy, tightly knit head, approximatley two fingers in thickness, resting atop a moderately cloudy bronze/orange body. Smell was precisley what I was expecting: grapefruit rind and pine resin. However, there was a bit of a sweet tone to the smell, as well as a woody, herbaceous note. Nice.
Now, for flavour, I said simply, "good", but understand this: this is much hoppier than I was even thinking I was ready for. Obscenely hoppy, actually. So for those BA's who have a near chemical dependency on alpha acids, this one is certainly for you. I must admit, this is not a style I seek out, and the whole aggressively hoppy thing is way overdone, IMO, but I really did enjoy this beer. Along with the afore mentioned, it was also easy to drink, all things considered, of course, and concealed it's 8,8%abv rather well. A very nice example of a style I typically don't care for.

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

Never heard of AleSmith before. Talking to the beer manager at my local liquor store, Yulesmith is brewed twice a year. Once in the summer, once in the winter. Each release is unique, which makes me think there ought to be two separate BA entries, but whatever. This is a review of the Summer 2007 release. It's not exactly summer conditions at this point in the year (October), but in my third floor loft bedroom, it feels summery enough.

It's worth noting that the bottle I picked up was sitting in the distributor's storage space since they received it, so it has had some time to age and mellow out. They had to clear out space to make room for the upcoming winter release, so my liquor store got a couple cases for a discounted price (only $4 a bomber at the consumer end!) I've not had the benefit of trying a newly released bomber, so that very well could affect my take on things (for better or worse).

Into a chalice pours a murky/cloudy apricot brew with a beauty/beast of a white head. This is a nice tight foam that doesn't die down and remains through and through, lacing the side of the glass all the way down (nice!). This is a very sexy glass of beer.

Smells like hops and high alcohol, or basically any American Double IPA you've ever smelled. Any nuances that might be found in the nose are lost to that sharp aroma.

The head is still there...

As I poured it fresh from the fridge, the first sip is probably a bit on the cold side, but a strong, crisp hop character stands boldly at the forefront. After letting it sit and warm for a while (the head is still there...), hops are still prominent, but are offset by a flatter flavor that lands on the middle/back of the tongue.

Throughout the bottle, this is a very enjoyable drinking experience. While not quite matching the quality/balance of Southern Tier's Unearthly Imp. IPA, I could see myself putting down another one (or two) of these without a problem. I can't claim to be as big a fan of the style as I once was (hop heads die young), but if you're into American Doubles, this is certainly a beer you want to try. I'm now interested to see what the winter release is like...

At the end of the day, this is a tasty, well-balanced American DIPA. I'm not sure if this balance comes as a result of the few months aging it had, or if this is simply just a well-made Imperial IPA. I suspect it's a bit of both.

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

different from last year, seem to remember big caramel malt that's not present this year? no carbonation issue this time.

dull lemon yellow pale color, not my favorite, if you look like this you better bring it. better in my convenience store coffee cup, i dont have to see the paleness.

big pineapple aroma, leading to an earthy aroma.
big pineapple taste follows, nicely bitter, some soap, pine sap. big bitter pineapple finish that lingers for a bit, very nice.

pricey. $10 at whole foods plymouth meeting (cheapest around) is too much, and i needed a 12oz samuel smith's imperial stout to complete the evening. if im not satisfied with 22oz, your dipa is not good enough at that price point.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Nice appearance. Good head that leaves nice lacing on the glass, sometimes sheeting. The piney hops overpower the malt but if you pay really close attention you'll notice a nice malt background but it's hard to tell if there's much complexity although I did seem to pick up some creamy fruitiness. The alcohol is just barely noticeable.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

i've got the green and red winter version here.

this beer pours a lovely clear amber with a huge three finger head even with a gentle pour. it takes a couple moments before it subsides enough to drink.

smells well balanced. i'm picking up some nice citrusy hops along with a sweet toffee and a tinge of alcohol.

wow. i really wish i had this fresh. it's definitely maltier than it is hoppy. i do pick up some resiny hops, but nothing in my face like i wanted. there is a mild but present alcohol burn as well.

the mouthfeel on this beer is nice. a bit syrupy and slick. nice for a dipa.

i'd love to be able to scoop these up whenever i wished. could drink a couple of them, but would probably pay a price.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours a dark amber with a large inch and a half slightly yellowed head. Excellent retention and some nice lacing.

The aroma is great. Big hop notes, citrus and pine with a nice caramel sweetness and a nice malt presence.

The taste is ok. The hop presence isn't as dominant as I had hoped. A nice bit of pine with a big malt profile.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability is fairly high. Easy to drink, alcohol is not very noticeable, and the flavor is decent. The catch for me is it's not as hoppy as I'd like. Good nonetheless.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Had on tap at Naja's in Redondo Beach. Golden color, mostly clear, thin white head.

I've been eyeing this beer for a long time, looking forward to trying it. When I saw it on tap I jumped at it. Unfortunately I tried it alongside Pliny the Elder. This simply can't compare. It's good, and might have been really good if I had nothing else to compare it with. But the Pliny rocks and this was mediocre in comparison.

Too bad, the Horny Devil is extremely good.

Summer 2010 release

Appearance: Blood Orange-ruby-honey. Nice large, creamy head with excellent lacing.

Smell: Caramel/malt and hops. Grapefruit, pine, etc. Could be a bit stronger for a DIIPA

Taste: Carame/malt/toffee followed by grapefruit/pine/citrus hops. Should be the other way around in my mind.

Mouthfeel: Creamy but perhaps a bit heavy.

Drinkability: Goes down easy enough; I used to love this one but now I find it a bit too malty.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

A perfect creamy head rides atop this amber brew. Aroma is surprisingly tame for the style - vague hops run a spectrum of smells, none being particularly strong: warm fruits, piney, spicy, and aspirin. Accompanying this was a wafting peanut butteriness that, despite my affinity for peanut butter, just did not do much for my hopes for the brew. My lowered expectations were met by the confused flavor. Malty, sweet, the herbalness is there but the hops just do not assert themselves. Maltiness can work, but the peanut buttery flavor just did not complement the herbal mysteriousness of the hops very well. Not unpleasant, not great either. Despite this, the feel was awesomely balanced, smooth, and pleasing. Enjoyable, but not a favorite aroma and flavor profile of mine.

[After reading some other reviews, I have to say that I am questioning what beer they put in my Yulesmith bottle. It did not strike me as all that dark, or all that hoppy, and I certainly did not find the black cherry and plum that the Alesmith website states. I will have to try this one again soon.]

First had: on tap at TJ's, Paoli, PA

Nice to see TJ's getting some AleSmith brews on tap lately. This one poured a crystal clear amber color with a small white head that left a bit of soapy lacing on the snifter it was served in. Nice clean aroma rich with citrus and piney hops. Taste was actually a bit subdued, surprisingly; not quite bland, but pretty lack-luster, compared to what I got in the nose. Caramel malts, crisp hops--citrus, pine, tropical fruit--nice and dry in the finish. All the typical qualities were there, but it just felt a little thinned down to me. Otherwise, body was light-medium, slightly sticky, and while it may have been a tad lacking in the flavor department, the tamer amount of palate-recking hop flavor/intensity made it that much more drinkable. So it pretty much balanced out, for a good quality beer in the end.

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a cloudy dark orange, lots of sediment, and a light brown head with lots of specks in it. Smells of citrus. Taste was a little disappointing--overly bitter and not as much citrus as I would have liked. It may have been that this bottle had been on the shelf since last year, but it's impossible to say. A drinkable beer, but it didn't knock me out like the best of the best.

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

Finally I get to try the Imperial IPA! I've had the Red, or whatever the other Yulesmith is called, but this one has eluded me.

Pours a dark pale ale. Golden with a hint of orange.
Some hop aroma, but not quite so pronounced.

Nice fluffy head that almost flows over the glass, creamy off white. Sticky lace [so far] down the glass.

I am realizing that this is *last* years release! I bought it at Hollingshead on June 12th or so, and I am not that familier with the AleSmith release times so, what do I know... mmmm.
Well... It's not that bad, but my scores might be higher if it was a fresher batch? mm I hope we will know some day...

Back to the review....

It's fairly well balanced, kinda oily, a little citrussy, nicely hoppy and malty

I will need to get a fresher bottle some day!

Summer 2007 version

Poured into SA glass.

A- Light caramel color with a huge head that settles and leaves lacing.

S- The usual citrus/pine hop smell that come with a DIPA. The grapefruit element was stronger of the two.

T- That hoppy explosion that I sensed was there in full force from start to finish. Good base with an alcohol flavor becoming more noticeable as the sample warmed.

M- Medium Heavy. A coating of oil remained on the roof of my mouth.

D- A very good beer that I was luck to find and enjoy. Alesmith deserves the good press for putting out beers like this.

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was at the top of my list to drink during my trip to Oregon. Unfortunately, the beer, for me, did not live up to the hype. It was good, but not great. I had a bomber at the Rose & Raindrop.
The appearance was clear copper with lots of carbonation.
A very strong smell of grapefruit, citrus, but with a not so subtle spicey and pine smell. Taste, to me, was disappointing; pepper and pine came through too strong. I did not taste as much hops as the smell would've indicated. The spice/pine taste covered up the alcohol. After reading many of the reviews, I really think I could have had a "bad" bottle. I'll have to try and get my hands on an another bottle and "update" my review.

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Beautiful apricot color with nice head and lacing.

Really hoppy some pine notes. Super fresh tasting and had a nice tartness to it. I wasn't nuts about it but I think I would really go well paired with a rich or fatty food like duck. It is a wonder IPA I think I might just be hopped out. Also this is one of those beers that gets better toward the bottom of the glass, I could see this growing on me.

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

I recently had an 08 that got put back out on the shelves when this beer was late coming to Oh. It held up quite well. This is a new bottle, Independence Day 2010.

A- Moderately hazed and pale gold with a lacy white head.

S- The malt bill is quite strong here. Its closing in on a barleywine like many IIPA/DIPAs do. Lots of pale malt, pine, oranges and grapefruit.

T- Quite bitter but the malts are big here too. Starts out crackery and malty and then gets damn bitter and piney. A slight medicinal bitterness on the finish.

M- Super dry and resinous. Get a glass of water to go with this one.

Reviewed from notes 1/11/2011

A: some citrus, some maltiness, getting a hint of sourness

Ap: golden yellow with a very large, very frothy white head, nice lacing down the whole glass

B/T: mild carbonation, medium body

Af: tastes stale, no punch of hops like i was expecting, some although limited floral hop notes, slight maltiness, slight fruitiness

O: left us wanting something more, proof that fresh is best!

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

Draught at the brewery. The last Alesmith bottle release that I have yet to have, and irony-of-ironies, I have it on-tap at the brewery. Warmed up with a sampler of the regular IPA to get my palate in order. Came with an orange color and sticky head. Fruity and somewhat yeasty aroma with grapefruit, mint, and peach. There is also some nutty malt. The flavor has soft, fruity hops and more bready malt sweetness than I was expecting. Lower on the bitterness scale, with a good balance that is almost too malty. Nice, though not the dry hop bomb that I had come to love after a day and a half of local IPAs.

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

22 oz. bottle obtained from SoCal store, shared with beer compatriot served in tulip glasses 9.28.2010.

Orangish gold body, trail of carbonation rising from bottom of etched glass. A real gusher, 3+ fingers of Duvel-like head, slow dissipation with above average lacing. Aroma is quite balanced for style, the hops weren't very aggressive, floral, some citrus a wee bit of tropical fruit, with good dose of crystal malt. Taste mirrors nose, while the hops became more noticeable as it warmed the finish was fairly mild re not bitter. Medium mouthfeel above average effervescence. Good drinkability, though in retrospect IMO the winter version is a bit superior, this is a tough category to stand out in. Moreover, I prefer the regular Alesmith IPA which is divine.

3.79/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The nose has a nice summer tropical scent of pineapple, apricot and oranges. I catch some yeast like aromas with some floral hop cone.

This is very light crisp and refreshing but has very little malt back. I mostly catch oranges and nectarines on the tongue with some hop cone, pine and lupilin.

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

Thank to zoso1967 for this traded-for beer.

Appearance: Split two ways with TCHopCraver and poured into a large wine glass. This beer has the largest head ever! The head was probably three or four fingers at its apex, and left a good inch or two of sticky lacing. Once the head dissipated, there remained a foamy structure in the shape of a pig's nose floating in the middle of the glass. The color of the beer is a clear golden and quite a bit of carbonation can be seen rising in the glass.

Smell: Lots of pineapple. Sweet grainy malt and tons of hop aroma. There isn't much bitterness to the smell, just a lot of grassy notes. There's also a bit of mineral funkiness playing in the background.

Taste: Surprisingly mellow for an imperial. It almost kind of tastes like a mojito. There is a bit of spicy Belgian influence going on here, and a bit of a hot finish. The beer is really not too hoppy, nor is it too malty; I feel like it needs to decide to go one way or the other.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, pretty creamy, with a slightly metallic aftertaste.

Drinkability: Not a difficult drinker for a double. I would definitely come back to this one.

2011 batch

A: Like a slightly dark natural orange soda. Not much ofa head but fast rising carbonation.
S: Smells delicious, Sweet sappy hops, Reminds me of hop stoopid. Piney.
T: Definitely hop bitterness which is a bit too much, suggesting sourness, subtle sappy sweetness.. A hair creamy.
M: Dry, mild carbonation, tart.
O: Too bitter, but other characteristics are decent.

3.77/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A-Interesting Color for an Imperial IPA. Much lighter, golden almost straw with a white foam.

S-Red fruit, grassy hops, nutty

T-Much more typical of an IPA. Hefty dark grassy flavors dominate.

M-Heavy, full body. Good finish with a hint of vanilla at the end.

O-The finish and the vanilla really bump it up away from the 'just average' category for me. Not bad, but that's definitely the stand out.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber (Summer YuleSmith) sent my way from abankovich. Thanks for the try.

Poured into large tulip glass, split part of bomber.

A: Light peach color, hazy with a beige head. Thick lacing that grabbed hold.

N: Citrus and more citrus. Grapefruit was through the roof, some pine but not as much as in the taste.

T: There you have it- intensely strong pine flavors with the grapefruit that was in the smell. There is a sweet maltiness and roastiness but this one leaves just resinous pine and citrus coating your mouth.

M: Oily slick like. Dry with a hoppy aftertaste and the alcohol feel is clearly left to play a part.

D: Not the must drinkable alesmith, probably would have been tough to get through the full bomber after a long night of other beers but still worth a try. Looking forward to the winter version. Thanks again Adam.

This one has some legs to it for sure, but not my favorite from what is probably my favorite west coast craft brewer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. Split with airohead2001.

A: I am shocked at the level of carbonation in this beer. A cautious pour yields a 4 finger head white head. Golden straw colored with excellent retention and, moderate lacing.

S: Pure citrus. This is the most intense citrus smelling beer that I have ever had. Lots of oranges and pineapples with a little bit of lime.

T: Some citrus up front but this beer is dominated by the bitter finish and aftertaste. I noticed a little bit of pineapple to start and some alcohol heat, then a lot of bitterness to finish this one off.

M: Over carbonated in my opinion, but nice viscosity.

D: The drinkability is limited by the carbonation in my opinion as I feel like if I drank this at all quickly or in too great of quantity that I would be belching up a storm or get nauseous.

YuleSmith (Summer) from AleSmith Brewing Company