Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

YuleSmith (Summer) - AleSmith Brewing Company

YuleSmith (Summer)YuleSmith (Summer)

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: xlperro on 11-24-2002

Lots of hops with a nice malty backbone on this one. It is released twice yearly; once in the Summer and once in the late Fall / early Winter. Winter bottles have green & red ink, Summer is blue & red. There is a variation in the malt bill for each version.
Reviews: 919 | Hads: 1,753
3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Nice appearance. Good head that leaves nice lacing on the glass, sometimes sheeting. The piney hops overpower the malt but if you pay really close attention you'll notice a nice malt background but it's hard to tell if there's much complexity although I did seem to pick up some creamy fruitiness. The alcohol is just barely noticeable. (336 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

i've got the green and red winter version here.

this beer pours a lovely clear amber with a huge three finger head even with a gentle pour. it takes a couple moments before it subsides enough to drink.

smells well balanced. i'm picking up some nice citrusy hops along with a sweet toffee and a tinge of alcohol.

wow. i really wish i had this fresh. it's definitely maltier than it is hoppy. i do pick up some resiny hops, but nothing in my face like i wanted. there is a mild but present alcohol burn as well.

the mouthfeel on this beer is nice. a bit syrupy and slick. nice for a dipa.

i'd love to be able to scoop these up whenever i wished. could drink a couple of them, but would probably pay a price. (711 characters)

winter

Pours a dark amber with a large inch and a half slightly yellowed head. Excellent retention and some nice lacing.

The aroma is great. Big hop notes, citrus and pine with a nice caramel sweetness and a nice malt presence.

The taste is ok. The hop presence isn't as dominant as I had hoped. A nice bit of pine with a big malt profile.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability is fairly high. Easy to drink, alcohol is not very noticeable, and the flavor is decent. The catch for me is it's not as hoppy as I'd like. Good nonetheless. (567 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Had on tap at Naja's in Redondo Beach. Golden color, mostly clear, thin white head.

I've been eyeing this beer for a long time, looking forward to trying it. When I saw it on tap I jumped at it. Unfortunately I tried it alongside Pliny the Elder. This simply can't compare. It's good, and might have been really good if I had nothing else to compare it with. But the Pliny rocks and this was mediocre in comparison.

Too bad, the Horny Devil is extremely good. (465 characters)

Summer 2010 release

Appearance: Blood Orange-ruby-honey. Nice large, creamy head with excellent lacing.

Smell: Caramel/malt and hops. Grapefruit, pine, etc. Could be a bit stronger for a DIIPA

Taste: Carame/malt/toffee followed by grapefruit/pine/citrus hops. Should be the other way around in my mind.

Mouthfeel: Creamy but perhaps a bit heavy.

Drinkability: Goes down easy enough; I used to love this one but now I find it a bit too malty. (446 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -10.1%

A perfect creamy head rides atop this amber brew. Aroma is surprisingly tame for the style - vague hops run a spectrum of smells, none being particularly strong: warm fruits, piney, spicy, and aspirin. Accompanying this was a wafting peanut butteriness that, despite my affinity for peanut butter, just did not do much for my hopes for the brew. My lowered expectations were met by the confused flavor. Malty, sweet, the herbalness is there but the hops just do not assert themselves. Maltiness can work, but the peanut buttery flavor just did not complement the herbal mysteriousness of the hops very well. Not unpleasant, not great either. Despite this, the feel was awesomely balanced, smooth, and pleasing. Enjoyable, but not a favorite aroma and flavor profile of mine.

[After reading some other reviews, I have to say that I am questioning what beer they put in my Yulesmith bottle. It did not strike me as all that dark, or all that hoppy, and I certainly did not find the black cherry and plum that the Alesmith website states. I will have to try this one again soon.] (1,079 characters)

First had: on tap at TJ's, Paoli, PA

Nice to see TJ's getting some AleSmith brews on tap lately. This one poured a crystal clear amber color with a small white head that left a bit of soapy lacing on the snifter it was served in. Nice clean aroma rich with citrus and piney hops. Taste was actually a bit subdued, surprisingly; not quite bland, but pretty lack-luster, compared to what I got in the nose. Caramel malts, crisp hops--citrus, pine, tropical fruit--nice and dry in the finish. All the typical qualities were there, but it just felt a little thinned down to me. Otherwise, body was light-medium, slightly sticky, and while it may have been a tad lacking in the flavor department, the tamer amount of palate-recking hop flavor/intensity made it that much more drinkable. So it pretty much balanced out, for a good quality beer in the end. (850 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a cloudy dark orange, lots of sediment, and a light brown head with lots of specks in it. Smells of citrus. Taste was a little disappointing--overly bitter and not as much citrus as I would have liked. It may have been that this bottle had been on the shelf since last year, but it's impossible to say. A drinkable beer, but it didn't knock me out like the best of the best. (380 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

Finally I get to try the Imperial IPA! I've had the Red, or whatever the other Yulesmith is called, but this one has eluded me.

Pours a dark pale ale. Golden with a hint of orange.
Some hop aroma, but not quite so pronounced.

Nice fluffy head that almost flows over the glass, creamy off white. Sticky lace [so far] down the glass.

I am realizing that this is *last* years release! I bought it at Hollingshead on June 12th or so, and I am not that familier with the AleSmith release times so, what do I know... mmmm.
Well... It's not that bad, but my scores might be higher if it was a fresher batch? mm I hope we will know some day...

Back to the review....

It's fairly well balanced, kinda oily, a little citrussy, nicely hoppy and malty

I will need to get a fresher bottle some day! (792 characters)

Summer 2007 version

Poured into SA glass.

A- Light caramel color with a huge head that settles and leaves lacing.

S- The usual citrus/pine hop smell that come with a DIPA. The grapefruit element was stronger of the two.

T- That hoppy explosion that I sensed was there in full force from start to finish. Good base with an alcohol flavor becoming more noticeable as the sample warmed.

M- Medium Heavy. A coating of oil remained on the roof of my mouth.

D- A very good beer that I was luck to find and enjoy. Alesmith deserves the good press for putting out beers like this. (578 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was at the top of my list to drink during my trip to Oregon. Unfortunately, the beer, for me, did not live up to the hype. It was good, but not great. I had a bomber at the Rose & Raindrop.
The appearance was clear copper with lots of carbonation.
A very strong smell of grapefruit, citrus, but with a not so subtle spicey and pine smell. Taste, to me, was disappointing; pepper and pine came through too strong. I did not taste as much hops as the smell would've indicated. The spice/pine taste covered up the alcohol. After reading many of the reviews, I really think I could have had a "bad" bottle. I'll have to try and get my hands on an another bottle and "update" my review. (693 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Beautiful apricot color with nice head and lacing.

Really hoppy some pine notes. Super fresh tasting and had a nice tartness to it. I wasn't nuts about it but I think I would really go well paired with a rich or fatty food like duck. It is a wonder IPA I think I might just be hopped out. Also this is one of those beers that gets better toward the bottom of the glass, I could see this growing on me. (408 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

I recently had an 08 that got put back out on the shelves when this beer was late coming to Oh. It held up quite well. This is a new bottle, Independence Day 2010.

A- Moderately hazed and pale gold with a lacy white head.

S- The malt bill is quite strong here. Its closing in on a barleywine like many IIPA/DIPAs do. Lots of pale malt, pine, oranges and grapefruit.

T- Quite bitter but the malts are big here too. Starts out crackery and malty and then gets damn bitter and piney. A slight medicinal bitterness on the finish.

M- Super dry and resinous. Get a glass of water to go with this one. (599 characters)

Reviewed from notes 1/11/2011

A: some citrus, some maltiness, getting a hint of sourness

Ap: golden yellow with a very large, very frothy white head, nice lacing down the whole glass

B/T: mild carbonation, medium body

Af: tastes stale, no punch of hops like i was expecting, some although limited floral hop notes, slight maltiness, slight fruitiness

O: left us wanting something more, proof that fresh is best!

Cheers!
The CPJ (433 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

Draught at the brewery. The last Alesmith bottle release that I have yet to have, and irony-of-ironies, I have it on-tap at the brewery. Warmed up with a sampler of the regular IPA to get my palate in order. Came with an orange color and sticky head. Fruity and somewhat yeasty aroma with grapefruit, mint, and peach. There is also some nutty malt. The flavor has soft, fruity hops and more bready malt sweetness than I was expecting. Lower on the bitterness scale, with a good balance that is almost too malty. Nice, though not the dry hop bomb that I had come to love after a day and a half of local IPAs. (607 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

22 oz. bottle obtained from SoCal store, shared with beer compatriot served in tulip glasses 9.28.2010.

Orangish gold body, trail of carbonation rising from bottom of etched glass. A real gusher, 3+ fingers of Duvel-like head, slow dissipation with above average lacing. Aroma is quite balanced for style, the hops weren't very aggressive, floral, some citrus a wee bit of tropical fruit, with good dose of crystal malt. Taste mirrors nose, while the hops became more noticeable as it warmed the finish was fairly mild re not bitter. Medium mouthfeel above average effervescence. Good drinkability, though in retrospect IMO the winter version is a bit superior, this is a tough category to stand out in. Moreover, I prefer the regular Alesmith IPA which is divine. (765 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The nose has a nice summer tropical scent of pineapple, apricot and oranges. I catch some yeast like aromas with some floral hop cone.

This is very light crisp and refreshing but has very little malt back. I mostly catch oranges and nectarines on the tongue with some hop cone, pine and lupilin. (296 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.1%

Thank to zoso1967 for this traded-for beer.

Appearance: Split two ways with TCHopCraver and poured into a large wine glass. This beer has the largest head ever! The head was probably three or four fingers at its apex, and left a good inch or two of sticky lacing. Once the head dissipated, there remained a foamy structure in the shape of a pig's nose floating in the middle of the glass. The color of the beer is a clear golden and quite a bit of carbonation can be seen rising in the glass.

Smell: Lots of pineapple. Sweet grainy malt and tons of hop aroma. There isn't much bitterness to the smell, just a lot of grassy notes. There's also a bit of mineral funkiness playing in the background.

Taste: Surprisingly mellow for an imperial. It almost kind of tastes like a mojito. There is a bit of spicy Belgian influence going on here, and a bit of a hot finish. The beer is really not too hoppy, nor is it too malty; I feel like it needs to decide to go one way or the other.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, pretty creamy, with a slightly metallic aftertaste.

Drinkability: Not a difficult drinker for a double. I would definitely come back to this one. (1,155 characters)

2011 batch

A: Like a slightly dark natural orange soda. Not much ofa head but fast rising carbonation.
S: Smells delicious, Sweet sappy hops, Reminds me of hop stoopid. Piney.
T: Definitely hop bitterness which is a bit too much, suggesting sourness, subtle sappy sweetness.. A hair creamy.
M: Dry, mild carbonation, tart.
O: Too bitter, but other characteristics are decent. (377 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A-Interesting Color for an Imperial IPA. Much lighter, golden almost straw with a white foam.

S-Red fruit, grassy hops, nutty

T-Much more typical of an IPA. Hefty dark grassy flavors dominate.

M-Heavy, full body. Good finish with a hint of vanilla at the end.

O-The finish and the vanilla really bump it up away from the 'just average' category for me. Not bad, but that's definitely the stand out. (402 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber (Summer YuleSmith) sent my way from abankovich. Thanks for the try.

Poured into large tulip glass, split part of bomber.

A: Light peach color, hazy with a beige head. Thick lacing that grabbed hold.

N: Citrus and more citrus. Grapefruit was through the roof, some pine but not as much as in the taste.

T: There you have it- intensely strong pine flavors with the grapefruit that was in the smell. There is a sweet maltiness and roastiness but this one leaves just resinous pine and citrus coating your mouth.

M: Oily slick like. Dry with a hoppy aftertaste and the alcohol feel is clearly left to play a part.

D: Not the must drinkable alesmith, probably would have been tough to get through the full bomber after a long night of other beers but still worth a try. Looking forward to the winter version. Thanks again Adam.

This one has some legs to it for sure, but not my favorite from what is probably my favorite west coast craft brewer. (959 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. Split with airohead2001.

A: I am shocked at the level of carbonation in this beer. A cautious pour yields a 4 finger head white head. Golden straw colored with excellent retention and, moderate lacing.

S: Pure citrus. This is the most intense citrus smelling beer that I have ever had. Lots of oranges and pineapples with a little bit of lime.

T: Some citrus up front but this beer is dominated by the bitter finish and aftertaste. I noticed a little bit of pineapple to start and some alcohol heat, then a lot of bitterness to finish this one off.

M: Over carbonated in my opinion, but nice viscosity.

D: The drinkability is limited by the carbonation in my opinion as I feel like if I drank this at all quickly or in too great of quantity that I would be belching up a storm or get nauseous. (844 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -11.3%

this is the winter, red and blue release. I think from 2007, maybe 2006, aged in cellar conditions, poured from the 22oz bottle into a Belgian goblet.

Appearance- Beer doesn't pour all that red really. But it is a gusher just like it's summer partner. It's reddish orange with a thick cloudyness that I would say looks more like a wheat beer than an imperial red. It looks as if milk was added it's so cloudy and creamy. The head rises fully to about two fingers, then dies down to a lovely murk across the top. Lacing clings well to the sides.

Smell- Sweet river water with pine and floral hops. Usually I would bash river water, but with these hop additions pairing with the munich and base malts I'm catching here, it really comes together well. A lot of citrus as well on the nose with a grapefruit and blood orange zest. Imperial red? Seems more like an Imperial IPA to me, but we'll see.

Taste- Creamy, yet a husky grainyness comes through firstly, then the wave upon wave of hops that I suppose is more expected from the Alesmith brand. The sweetness and tongue numbing really screams Imperial IPA over here to me than Imperial Red, but I have to give this a passing grade as a beer overall because the flavor is great. Warming alcohol drifts through the beer and I really don't believe this 8.8% claim.

Mouthfeel- Slightly sticky, husky, not quite cloying with bitterness, warming, full bodied, and medium in carbonation.

Drinkability- I like it. I would revisit this one above the summer any day. This along with a revisit to Speedway Stout has revitalized my diminished faith in Alesmith. (1,603 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

Winter 2007 version

A- hazy orange in color. A little on the pale side to be perfection. Massive thick 4-finger tan head. The top of which looks like Seal's face.

S- Sweet malty-hop nose. Almost barley wine in quality. Subtle spiciness lingering in the nose.

T- Very good, though it has lost a lot of the hoppiness since the last time I had it (as a much fresher) bottle. Citrus hop & spice (nutmeg & all spice) up front with a hop-burn finish. A lot of barley wine character.

M- Thick. Not as creamy as I like my DIPAs. Carbonation is a bit too active as well.

D- Not really feeling this one. (598 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Amber yellow color with a thick head with good retention.
Aroma of pineapple, oranges, booze and pine.
Citrusy flavor with notes of pepper, caramels, grapefruit, pine, mango and tangerines. Finishing with a mint note.
Dry and bitter aftertaste. Alcohol of 8.5% has a warming effect.
Full body with appropriate carbonation.
Sticky and very hoppy DIPA and quite alcoholic. Maybe for a colder day during summertime. (412 characters)

YuleSmith (Summer) from AleSmith Brewing Company