YuleSmith (Summer) - AleSmith Brewing Company

YuleSmith (Summer)YuleSmith (Summer)

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Summer

Lots of hops with a nice malty backbone on this one. It is released twice yearly; once in the Summer and once in the late Fall / early Winter. Winter bottles have green & red ink, Summer is blue & red. There is a variation in the malt bill for each version.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 11-24-2002)

sallmadsen, Jul 08, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -64.5%

SenorHops, Jul 05, 2012
1.65/5  rDev -60.9%

Bomber, no date. Purchased at DeCicco's Brewster. Assuming Summer 2011 batch.

Pours a hazy amber with a very small head. Poor retention, not much lacing.

Wet dog and cardboard on the nose. Can you say oxidized?!

Flavor is malty and woody, not much hops going on. Totally and utterly oxidized. Oh well. Carbonation is low. This is bad.

Dear Alesmith: CODE YOUR BOTTLES PLEASE! I have no idea of knowing how old this stuff is.

Dear Decicco's: How old is this beer-- 1-2 years? Why is it on the shelves?

dasenebler, Dec 28, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -58.5%

chippo33, Jul 12, 2013

SalukiAlum, May 25, 2012

phishphorce, Sep 05, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

It's not often I pour out of beer but I was very unimpressed with this one. It really didn't have much smell to speak of. There were some weak hops And citrus trickling out of the top of the mug. The taste was actually terrible. It was the first time in recent memory that I actually made a bitter beer face. I don't know if I just got a bad bottle or what because I see it ranked so highly but I was thoroughly unimpressed and won't be taking another chance on it.

SteveTheDog, Aug 14, 2013
2.45/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

No bottle date that I can see, but picked this up right after Belmont Station reported that they got some in. Poured into a Laurelwood wine glass.

Appearance- Hazy honey color with no head. I thought it wasn't carbonated at first. Big soap bubbles left in the bottle. 2.5/5

Smell- Honey malt smell. Hops are there, but only in the back. They do lend a pineapple aroma to this. Very sweet aroma 2.5/5

Taste- Very sweet pineapple. Too sweet if you ask me. Alcohol is prominent as well. Very slick tasting. 2.5/5

Mouthfeel- The worst part. Way to thick for me. 2/5

Overall- I have had this before and rather enjoyed it. I don't know what the deal is with it now. Can't figure out if it is my taste that has changed or if it is this particular bottle. Way too much malt. 2.5/5

MADhombrewer, Aug 09, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is somewhat disappointing to me (and I usually LOVE IPA's) The mouthfeel just seemed off along with the smell, the entire encounter was a dismal failure in my book. The taste was highly unliked and the color was just plain "funky" i.e. just not a color you would associate with IPA's

Scorpious, Jan 07, 2007

handcrafty, Jul 15, 2014

tally, Sep 14, 2014
2.65/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

2010 vintage 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at Hi-Time Liquor in Costa Mesa, California, and served into a N'Ice Chouffe beer stemflute in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Cost was $9.99 plus tax. Reviewed live.

Expectations are high as I have a very high regard for the brewery (which I've visited), and it's aged. I know I had the winter version but I don't remember what rating I gave it (and I'm too lazy to look it up). However, I'm very skeptical of aged IPAs. Hop death seems like it would be devastating to an IPA. But hey, this is Alesmith, and I trust Hi-Time.

I normally hate the style for its usual imbalance, but if anyone can do it right (after Russian River), it's Alesmith.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger head of nice cream, decent thickness, and great retention for the relatively high ABV. Colour is a hazy nontransparent (but not opaque) yellow-copper. No yeast particles are visible.

Sm: Hoppy - but sadly more on the bittering end. Some pine and citrus, but not enough to turn me on to it. A bit stale. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Hoppy, with citrus and slight pine. Overall, hop balances tips largely toward the bitterness end, but the citrus and pine do a decent job of evening it out. It's a bit floral. Overall, it's rather simple for Alesmith. I suspect there was a great deal of hop death. It's gone off to some extent. The finish is particularly problematic, with the bitterness emerging to unfavorable effect. Horribly balanced, both in terms of structure and flavour. It might have been built decently back when it was brewed, but now the built comes off as bad, especially in the case of the hops; even the strain could have issues. Maybe summit hops were used? I hope not.

Mf: Coarse, too thick, and decently wet. Strange for the style, and not apt. Likely suffers from the age like the flavour profile (though again, I want to emphasize this is merely an assertion). Doesn't really complement the flavours all that well.

Dr: I wouldn't get this again, but I can't emphasize enough that I suspect hop death is a factor here. I'd try it on draught just to make sure this was indeed a fluke. I do think this review is valuable for educational purposes. Hides its ABV well. Of limited quality. A disappointment from Alesmith.

C-

kojevergas, Mar 29, 2012
2.73/5  rDev -35.3%

Thanks goes to sweemzander for sharing this bottle. Poured into my duvel tulip.

A: Bright clear yellow with a thick two fingers of eggshell hued head. Thick gobs of lace remain after a slow settle.

S: Tons of citrus hops. Just a hint of malt sweetness can be picked out. Mostly just tropical fruits.

T: Huge drop off from the nose. The acrid bitterness is almost comical. Not a good bitter in any way. It almost tastes off to me. Just sharp and overpowering sourness.

M: Medium body with loads of carbonation.

D: Overall solid in every aspect except for the flavor. Which pretty much ruined it for me. I had to drain pour the last of my glass.

beerwolf77, Oct 28, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -34.8%

CityofBals, Sep 12, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -34.8%

JustinMatthew, Jan 27, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -34.1%

A 4th of July beer seemed fitting for a rainy winter night. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Telegraph tulip.

A :: A fiery, golden-orange glow is consistent throughout, with a fine balance that lies partway between translucency and opacity. Very exciting indeed. Soapy bubbles form a collar around the glass with flings of lace scattered about. Streams of carbonation line the glass. Towards the end of the bottle, a gentle pour yields a cottony head that, upon recession, leaves thick, fluffy lace behind. Definitely worth a second look.

S :: Yikes, a little sweeter than expected. Yes, piney hops hum in the background, but the main chorus consists of an aria of overripe pineapple and doughy malt. Blind tastings between AS IPA and YuleSmith Summer would be inconclusive--save for slightly more funk in the Yule. Frankly, in the realm of scent, this one can be classified as a GIPA (generic IPA).

T :: The Yule is the prodigal son of the AS IPA--it insisted on wandering into the land of the Imperial IPA, never quite made it, but got really boozy along the way. After a momentary flash of what may be a discernable hop or malt presence, I am broadsided by what tastes like a bitter orange peel soaked in alcohol. It makes your head cock to the side at best, your face grimace at worst.

M :: Up front, mouthfeel is notable; however, the initial sparkle of bottle conditioning is quickly sloshed away by an alcohol-warmed mouth.

D :: Mischievously drinkable 9-, 10-, and even 12-percent ABV beers are not hard to happen upon these days, so why should I be caught without an umbrella in alcoholic rain with an 8.5-percent IPA? A certain crispness and a firmer hop snap could whip this beer into good standing amongst the great West Coast DIPA's.

RaulMatisse, Feb 07, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -32.5%

Reviewed 1/12/2007 (22oz bottle-Winter):

Pours a cloudy amber red color, graduated dark brownish/red on the top. Medium sized head, dark whitish, diminishing. Hoppy aroma, somewhat balanced, but not very strong. Some hops, somewhat tempered by the malts, some spices, may be the hops. Dry bitter alcoholy aftertaste as it warms up. IPAish. Unbalanced bitter

jujubeast6000, Nov 08, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -31.8%

I had the winter edition 2006, courtesy of todd1

A clear, copper beer with a thick and creamy head. Every sip leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

Smell is full of toasty malt with some doughy and bready notes. There are some ester and higher alcohols which smell like ripe red apples. The hops are typical US citric hops, but are balanced by the malt.

Taste is strong alcoholic, immediate goose bumbs on my back, aarghh this is some heavy shit. The malt is not as pronounced as in the smell and is only giving some biscuit and sweet malt notes. The hops are really bitter and aggressive with a citric and pineapple taste. Too bitter and too American for me.Mouthfeel is sweet and sticky, which is a good thing to balance the alcohol and bitterness.
Every sip is like drinking battery liquid and for me this is absolutely not drinkable any more.

Absumaster, Sep 09, 2007
2.9/5  rDev -31.3%

A winey and bitter sort of DIPA. Nothing festive about it. Rather thin and extremely sharp. Malt seems to disappear into the hoppy tangle. Foam is quite decent. Aroma of pine and pollen is rather pleasant.

Hazy light amber, touch of orange. Quite a bit of sediment, I discover on pouring another glass. Some aromatics but mostly the grapefruit pith with a touch of resins. I say again, so sharp, and so light bodied. Bitter from start to finish.

From the 22 oz bottle. There must be a hundred better DIPAs, if that's what this is supposed to be.

mactrail, May 16, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -30.6%

Bottle 22oz. provided by Zorro. Poured a semi cloudy amber color with a real nice, long lasting head. Nose is filled with flowers. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but this beer was nothing special. Noticably more hops, lacking the malt balance that I like in a 2IPA. There was no discernable spice. This was more of a regular IPA.

thaichile, Apr 05, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -30.6%

Type: Red and Green

A- Amber color with a thick creamy head and good lacing.

S- Lots of hops very strong, but one level to it kind of simple really.

T- Strong hops with a nice malt balance. Really a powerful beer. Just expect lots of hops with good malt in there too.

M- Good thickness.

D- It drinks like a Double IPA, its a good beer but overall not really anything stands out to me solid Double IPA.

beckje01, Apr 27, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -29.4%

Im in a horrible mood. I just broke my favorite tulip : (

So im drinking this beer, from a snifter.

A - Pours a huge, six finger, off-white head with good retention. My guess is that this very fluffy head is coming from over-carbonation. Slighly hazy yet bright amber-orange color. The head eventually receded to a thick foamy, almost chunky cap.

S - Very floral and a bit estery, like a Belgian? Bright floral hops and some serious citrus notes. I really would never think this is a IIPA, more like a Belgian blond crossed with a tripel The smell is interesting, but not what i was expecting from the style.

T - The taste closely follows the smell. Floral hops and citrus notes. Hints of some bitter grapefruit on the finish.

M - Light body and too high of a level of carbonation. The amount of fizz from the carbonation is distracting, and makes this beer very dry. Slight warming effect from alcohol on the finish. Too light in body and too carbonated for the style.

D - For being a to 50 beer from a brewery i love and respect i'm not impressed with this beer. Ill stick to the other great beer that Alesmith produces, but this one just didn't quite measure up to the standard.

dubinsky, Feb 01, 2011

DavyJones, May 19, 2012

mocktm, Dec 06, 2011

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a bright orange, but only a few tan bubbles form on one side.

S - Citrus, sweet malts, and some pine.

T - Sweet carmely malts, and a touch of citrus.

D - Low carbonations.

O - Really dissapointed here. This is a low carbonated sweet mess. I believe it is a new bottle also.

HuskyinPDX, Aug 03, 2011