YuleSmith (Summer) - AleSmith Brewing Company

YuleSmith (Summer)YuleSmith (Summer)

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: xlperro on 11-24-2002

Lots of hops with a nice malty backbone on this one. It is released twice yearly; once in the Summer and once in the late Fall / early Winter. Winter bottles have green & red ink, Summer is blue & red. There is a variation in the malt bill for each version.
Ratings: 1,668 | Reviews: 916
3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to domtronzero for tossing this one in as an extra!

(A)- Pours a crystal clear yellow color. Produced a massive white frothy head with some serious retention behind it. It is just clinging to the glass with lots of bubbly lacing.

(S)- A nice woody pine and creamy citrus of pineapple, grapefruit, and lemon. Crisp.

(T)- Has a rather tart profile with some serious pineapple & grapefruit citrus up front. Tons of citrus in this that really borderlines on tartness level. Some minimal woody pine.

(M)- A tad higher carbonation level than you would expect from the style, but it really is not too bothersome. Really crisp because of it though, with really potent citrus. Some bitterness.

(D)- Slightly different, yet interesting take on a massively over-made style these days. Huge citrus, with ever present bitterness. Good, but I prefer their regular IPA.

3.37/5  rDev -20%

YuleSmith Holiday Ale Summer 2008 version. 22oz bomber purchased from Hi-Time in Costa Mesa.

Definitely better than the Holiday '06 YuleSmith from a while back, which was a goopy, syrupy-sweet hoppy mess. Apparently the winter version is a "Double Red Ale" while these summer versions are Double IPAs.

But as Double IPAs go, this one is still on the sweeter, more viscous side. Not my preference. Pours a very clear medium-orange, hard to see any yeast haze (although it's bottle-conditioned). Nicely persistent white head. Smell is half American citrus/pine hops, half sweet malt. No dough or bread.

Taste about what you would expect from the nose, tons of hops and tons of sweet malt, not as well integrated as you would hope. Hefty on the ABV (8.5%), so not exactly a quaffer.

In the middle tier of California DIPAs. There are lots of folks who love the Alesmith IPA style, but it's a little too close to cloying sweet viscosity of Stone for my taste.

3.38/5  rDev -19.7%

TrebleStauter sent me this one, thanks again!

A- Hazy, bright yellow in color with a finger of thick, creamy white head. Good head retention and good lacing. Relatively thick lacing actually, very nice.

S- Big doses of earthy hops and slightly boozy. I don't usually expect much complexity from DIPA's, but this one really doesn't have much to it.

T- Earthy hops, and once again the booziness shows up. No malt backbone to really speak of, pretty dry and bitter. Very average IMO.

M- Medium bodied, about what I expect from a DIPA. Well carbonated at least, not syrupy like other DIPA's.

D- The booziness gets to me after a while. I'd also have love to seen a better blend of hops. The sheer earthiness got to me, maybe I'm more of a citrus type of guy. Not the best DIPA in the world, but most certainly not the worst.

3.38/5  rDev -19.7%

I got this bottle from MaxStout in a trade. Thanks dude!

A: Very cloudy, light orange color with very generous carbonation and huge mammoth, almost ridiculous head. The retention is so great that it is almost stretching my patience.

S: This thing is going to be a huge citrus bomb!

T: This thing is pretty boozy. I taste the hops, citrus, and some semblance of a malt backbone, but the beer in front of me is not a very balance brew.

M: Foamy and the some! Is this thing unfiltered? The carbonation is pleasant, but the ABV is DEFINITELY detectable. The sweetness is just right for the style.

D: If I ever travel to San Diego, Alesmith is on the top of my list. If I were to travel there, I'm sure it will be in the summer due to my wife's job, so I will order this one (the seasonal) first. Then, I will get a healthy, fresh, on tap taste of this stuff

3.39/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

2007 summer version

Cloudy pale orange color with a thin head that leaves some ok lacing. Not very apealing in appearance.

Smell is a burst of citrusy hops that turns musty and a little earthy. Citrus smell leans toward grapefruit but can't quite overpower the musty smell to really kick into that really appealing range.

Taste is obviously hoppy but struggles with the problem a lot of double IPA's have, the sweetness is a little overpowering and becomes cloying. High ABV shows itself too.

Hard to get a take on the mouthfeel, the hops burns out my taste buds and then the sweetness overpowers and then to finish it off there is the alcohol burn.

Overall this one was a letdown. It is certainly better than the average beer but it dosn't live up to the rep that AleSmith has. I'd give it another try but I won't send my wife to Ohio to pick this one up again.

3.41/5  rDev -19%

A- A semi-cloudy orange liquid with a massive craggy bone white head that has great retention.

S- Pine, oranges, cut grass, and fruit. Smells good, but also pretty typical of a west coast DIPA.

T- Orange rind and pine with a sweet caramel finish. Very soapy and seems to fall apart on the finish.

M- A nice amount of carbonation, but has an astringent finish. Bitter, dry, and strange on the finish.

D- This takes a bit of work to consume, especially when taking into account the alcohol content (a bit on the lower side for the style). Overall, I am underwhelmed but it is not bad.

3.45/5  rDev -18.1%

Reviewed from notes
Consumed 8/1 poured in to my Portsmouth Tulip

A: This beer pours a hazy, lighter gold color with a big 3 finger of white sudsy head. Head recedes at a slow pace leaving tones of sticky lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is chalk full of pine and citrus hops. Nice bitter nose on this one.

T: Taste starts with a big burst of grapefruit and orange/tangerine flavoring. A piney earthy flavor comes in before a rather surprisingly hearty sweet caramel malt presence.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, crisp body

D: Goes down somewhat easily, a little bit of heat, not too filling, a bit too malty from what I was expecting from a DIPA but a decent beer.

3.45/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I drank this from a 22 oz bottle (winter version) into a rochefort chalice.

The beer pours medium brown with a very light tan head that has no head, retention or lacing.

The aroma is very hoppy with a muted maltiness.

The taste is very interesting, but not sure if that's a good thing. There is lots of hoppiness here but there is something else to, that just brings a weirdness to the beer.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Bomber poured into a tulip.

A - pours a really hazy pumpkin orange with minimal head

S - Malty, really no hops to speak of

T - Decently balanced with malt dominating more. Really not hoppy as I expected. Very sweet and grapefruit is present.

M - Light carbonation for the style, dry finish that is a little boozy

O - I'm pretty dissapointed. I was expecting a bigger brother to Alesmith IPA but this is really malty. I don't know if it has faded since Alesmith doesn't use dates but I'm not getting any old hop taste. For $10+/bomber I wouldn't grab this again.

3.51/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Very cloudy and opaque golden/yellow tinted brew. Short, mildly off-white head with some moderate lacing.

S: Yeast, fresh bitter hops, lemon zest and pepper right away in the nose. Milder hints of orange peel, grapefruit and some pineapple. fruity sweetness follows through.

T/M: Big tart grapefruit and lemony flavors, big full-flavored hop bitterness, smooth citrusy malts. Odd flat bitter flavor towards the end. Smooth caramel-apple-like sweetness throughout the flavor. Not much else to the overall flavor. On the high side of carbonation with a medium-fitted body. moderately rich, moderately bitter.

D: Pretty average, definitely a great easy summer brew.

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2007 Summer version.

Orange-ish color with a white head that left decent lacing. Nose of pine, grapefruit, and some sweet caramel; but it didn't really jump out of the glass at me. Much of the same disappointment was displayed in the taste; good flavors, but weak, especially for a DIPA. Mouthfeel was thick and fullbodied, carbonation was about medium. As it stands, the example I had was an okay beer and nothing more. Bad bottle? Perhaps, but there didn't seem to be anything inherently wrong with it, just not impressive. Only beer I haven't been impressed by from AleSmith. I'll give it another try next year and go from there.

Winter:

Clear reddish amber color with an off-white head, decent lacing and retention. Beautiful smell of sweet malt paired with big juicy hoppiness. Aroma is rich in fruitiness with some grapefruit hops to balance the sweetness. Taste is one of those things you really need to try for yourself to believe, it's excellent. Sweet malt and grapefruity hops in the taste, perfect balance in this beer. Carbonation was a bit high in the beginning of the bottle, medium bodied. Great beer from AleSmith.

4 / 4.5 / 5 / 4 / 4.5

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

ALESMITH WINTER -

Bottle shared with Fly, Dewbrewer, Humulone_Red and others. Thanks guys!
Other bottle courtesy of WeeheavySD! Rich deep amber pour with a big lasting creamy head. Big hoppy nose with "red" malt as well. Rich sharp hoppy flavor with a creamy balanced maltiness to it. A touch of alcohol is noticeable, but still nice. Carbonation is a tad high, but I find that to be the case with most of Alesmith's beers. Nice beer.

3.54/5  rDev -15.9%

22oz bottle of summer release purchased for $4 (half-price, they say - it's November) from Bauer Wines in Boston. Pours with a ridiculous unforgiving head that is delaying my consumption and enjoyment of this beer. Underneath the head there is a thin sliver of cloudy light gold. Strong bitter aroma. Whoa, this is strong stuff. Tastes more like hard liquor than a beer on first taste. Let's checkie the ol' ABV... only 8.5%! For a second I was wondering if this was in the 12%+ range. I swear, I'm getting some weak whisky tastes here (disclaimer: not a whisky drinker). Took a quick look at reviews on here and don't see anyone concurring with me - wonder if mine has spoiled at all? OK, as the beer goes on, the review progresses. I'm getting a bit less of the whiskey flavours, but I'm still not getting what I consider to be typical hoppiness from the style. An hour later, I just tried pouring the last third of the bottle and the process creates as much head in the bottle as there is beer. What is going on with this bottle? It pains me a bit to give such a highly rated beer a mediocre score, but I cannot tell a lie when it comes to this bottle. An experience, none-the-less.

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

9.5% ABV. Poured into a dimple glass from a 650ml bottle. Gave off a dark/hazy golden appearance. Smelled sweet hops, hints of vanilla, and floral malty impression. Tasted smooth from the beginning to a somewhat bitter ending. Mouthability was medium-bodied and somewhat dry finish; the head remained thick and creamy throughout. Warm mouthfeel from the high alcohol content. Feels lush and full in the mouth. A nice drinkable beer, but resmembles too much of a Pale Ale rather than IPA for me.

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

AleSmith YuleSmith (July 2011) bomber poured into a white wine glass. No bottle date, but 2011 version from Pinocchio's in Media, PA

A: This one pours a really cloudy orange amber color. Basically no head. Faint white stuff.

S: This smells like it has drifted from fresh a little bit, upsettingly. I get some hop character, but lots of sweet maltiness.

T: Really sweet beer! The malts have really taken over this one. It gets better as it warms. You get a smooth hop bite on front of the tongue, malts really smooth on middle of tongue, and solid finish. Its a powerful beer. I wish I drank fresher.

M: Medium leading to full bodied. Big beer.

O: Overall this is good stuff, but not great. I think extremely fresh it would have been great, but I much prefer their regular IPA over this double.

3.56/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

2009 release, consumed 09/14/09.

Poured into a Samuel Adams "special" glass at 50 degrees F. Beer is a cloudy light yellow with lots of particulate matter swirling within the copious carbonation. A rocky, white, three-finger head forms immediately, slowly subsiding to a sticky lace on the sides of the glass.

My nose detects strong grapefruity hops and a subtle grassy component. Slight bready character as well. Grace note of juniper. So far, so good!

Flavor - do you like hops? You'd better if you're going to drink this, as that's the only flavor I can find in this beer. Peppery, grassy, citric and, oh yeah, BITTER are the order of the day. Hot on the tongue with a lingering, parchingly bitter aftertaste. Not very pleasing to me.

Mouthfeel is sharp due to carbonation. Slightly dry and a little oily.

Oddly, I had a few ounces from a different bottle a few days ago that I enjoyed much more than this. It was colder... maybe that's the key to this beer - serve it colder than fifty degrees. That might keep the bitterness under control.

I didn't enjoy this at all and struggled to finish the bomber. I would recommend only to hopheads.
___

2008 summer version, consumed on 09/08/08.

APP - 3.5
SM - 2.5
TASTE - 2.5
FEEL - 3.5
DRINK - 2.0
OVERALL - 2.75 (C-)

This bottle has a lot of ghostly, swirly sediment in it. Huh. Despite my care, this led to a slightly cloudy honey-golden pour. VERY carbonated! A two-finger fluffy white head with minimal lacing sat atop the beer.

Aroma is odd, with a touch of plastic/band aid to it. Uh-oh... Also has notes of soap. And there, lurking in the unappetizing aromas, is some pine.

Slick mouthfeel, parching on the tongue.

Major flavor component is remarkable bitterness. Not undrinkable, but just this side of overwhelming. Some spruce flavor. Shy malt character did not emerge enough for me to identify beyond just "malt".

This is the first AleSmith bomber I have had that I did not finish. I poured what was left in the bottle (about a third) down the drain after it took me over an hour to finish a pint.

This bottle was refrigerated in a cooler away from sunlight when I bought it and has been refrigerated since, so I can only guess that either something bad happened to this bottle prior to me making its acquaintance or that it's just an anomaly from this great brewery.

3.58/5  rDev -15%

Let me begin this review by saying I've had this beer over the last 3-4 years, and IF I were reviewing 2010 or 2011, this would be considered at or near World Class. This years is missing something which is the specimen in review here...

A - lemon zest color, lighter than the vibrant sunshine orange color I look for in this style but good nevertheless. Solid 2 finger head and retention in the 13oz Tulip it's poured in.

S - A bit muted, Heaviest on the dry lemon citrus, then oranges and light pine.

T - See nose but the beer is muted, even upon semi-aggressive swirls and drinking. This is not packed full of tropical citrus as it was last year. Maybe palate has changed but I don't think enough for this beer's hops not to shine, especially for a 8.5% DIPA. Much more Bready than I ever remember this beer being which was not off-putting but not at all preferred.

M - Light and crisp for 8.5%ABV. Easily sessioned. Very good.

O - Over-priced DIPA with all the other great selections out there. Not a bad beer by any means, was just underwhelmed this year whereas I've never been with this beer in previous years.

Summer 2007 release.

Pours a golden/orange and slightly opaque. Huge head, slightly off-white. Head hangs around forever. Lots of carbonation seen rising.

Aroma is surprisingly light. Some light hops & citrus.

Taste has floral hops and is quite sweet. Decent malts.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely cleansing.

Overall, a nice, clean brew. Lacking a little character, but decent enough.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

We crack the top and pour a brew of shining golden yellows. It holds a creamy three finger head of egg white colored bubbles that billows out of the glass. This retains very nicely, leaving cratered cheesecloth lacing sticking around the glass. No haze or sediment is noted whatsoever, and carbonation appears to be lazy. The nose is fruity and sweet, with clean notes of honey, bubblegum esters, crisp pale malts, floral, citric, and nectary hop oils, light boozy stings, sprigs of vanilla, tangerine flesh and rind, lavender, tannins, lemon rind, plastic chemicals, black pepper spiciness, and pine cones with warmth. Our first impression is that the flavoring offers brightly fresh West coast hop bitters, but in general is surprisingly heavy and syrupy. As we sip, the taste opens with pale and caramel malts, poppy seed, fusel booze, strawberry jam, biting phenolic clove, fresh lemon tea tannins, light biscuity butters, and bitterly piney, soapy, and nectary sweet hops. The middle pushes to the peak with bitter herbal hops, green twig, sap resins, phenolic plastics, peach syrups, basement mustiness, mineral water, aspirin chemicals, pale and light corny malts, and alcohol. The end washes with boozy bite, green grass and oily hop resins, honeysuckle florals, toasty pale malt bitterness, light rye, and straw grassiness, brown grain sours, malted milk ball candies, moss and musk, mint tea, and creamy lactic sweetness. The aftertaste breathes of pencil shavings and lead, pale and chalky malts, raw powdered barley, fusel booze, aluminum foil, light toffee sweetness, burnt wheat bread crust, bitterly grassy, soapy, resiny, and floral hops, eucalyptus, and gravel. The body is to the thick side, while carbonation is light to medium. Each sip is full, giving hearty slurp, smack, cream, froth, and pop. The mouth is cooled and thickly coated, dripping into decent astringency puck, with little dryness otherwise. The mouth is actually left a bit airy and icy, as if brushed by menthol. The abv is appropriate, and the beer is more of a sipper for the style.

Overall, the best thing about this beer was its aroma and its appearance. At first whiff you get a beautiful balance between the clean, crisp malt profile and the hops, which remain sweet, fresh, and quite juicy throughout. This certainly makes the beer enticing to this point. Upon the sip, however, the taste muddles, giving darker malts that you would expect, and all the hop bitterness without any of that sweet aromatic fruitiness to balance. With warmth the boozes becomes overly accentuated in both the nose and the mouth, further muddying the waters and taking away further from any balance there is to be had. The feel is otherwise nicely contributory in its thick creaminess, but this is not enough to overcome the gaps in flavor. Perhaps we are just lost to the heavy West coastedness that this beer exudes, but if big, boozy, bitter, and syrupy DIPAs are your thing, it’s worth a sip or two.

3.58/5  rDev -15%

22oz into tulip. Don't remember who this was from, but thanks! From notes.

A- Nice orangey amber pour with a rpetty ample head.

S- Strong citrus nose. Some faint caramel/bready notes. Sweet, sugary notes as well.

T- Fruity, citrus hops and a bit of a pine resin finish. There's a lot of malt here- so much so that I think I'm drinking an east coast DIPA. Nice balance, perhaps a bit much on the malt heaviness but the flavors are nice. A bit too sweet.

M- A bit heavier and fuller than I'd like, but I'm nitpicking, it's still really good. Pretty good balance.

D- Moderately low. A heavy, filling, rich beer. One was more than enough. I like this enough to where I'll buy a bottle or two a season, but that'll hold me over and then some. A nice change of pace from the hop-centric DIPAs we're used to seeing out of cali, but this one might do better to dial the malts back just a bit.

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

Bottle: Poured a deep copper color ale with huge white head with pretty good retention. Aroma of deep citrus hops with a strong presence of semi-sweet malt. Taste is totally dominated by the mix of citrus hops and strong caramel malt. Body is just above average and carbonation is medium. Alcohol is well hidden. While this is not a bad beer, I feel that it is a bit too one-dimensional and would probably have been happier drinking their regular IPA.

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

Yulesmith pours a hazy amber color with a frothy, slightly off white head on top. The foam dissolves slowly to a sheet in the beer, leaving behind sheets of lace on the side of the glass. The aroma is citrus hops with strong notes of grapefruit, pine and grass.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer is slightly chewy with a fizzy carbonation on the palate. The flavor is much like the aroma with lots of citrus grapefruit and pine hops. Balancing out the hops is a fair amount of sweet caramel and pale malt. Once gone the pine flavor of the hops lingers on the palate.

This beer has aged for a while in my cellar and still has quite a hoppy aroma and flavor. It's a bit off balance with all the hops, but overall a nice beer for hop lovers.

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

I have now tried both versions, summer and winter so I'll put 2 reviews in one here.

Reviewed 9/15/2008.
Red and Green bottle meaning the winter version. Received in a BIF so not really sure which year.

Ratings: A: 3.5, S: 4.0, T: 3.5, M: 3.5, D: 3.0 for an average of 3.55

A: A deep copper cloudy orange color with a huge, huge off white 3 finger head on a timid pour.

S: Malty sweetness with caramel, toffee and a very slight touch of hops. Malty sweetness is predominant.

T: Wow, bowls me over with sweetness. Caramel, toffee, bready malt with some piney hops pushing from behind. Still this beer was all about the malt. Malt finishes out with some faint receeding bitterness. Lots of floaties on the final pour as it is bottle conditioned.

M: Heavy and slick, coating the mouth and massive amounts of carbonation.

D: Low, I was tired by the time I got to the bottom of the bottle.

Overall I can't put my finger on it, but by the end of the bottle it just didn't taste right. Was it because it was old and the hops had turned, or something else. Still, it was not the best experience for me as I expected much, much more from this respected brewer. I would love to try this again fresh and see if I just got a clunker.

***
Summer version. Poured from a blue and red decorated 22 ounce bottle into a tulip tasting glass.

A: A golden straw color with some tints of orange. A HUGE white thick head on a very modest pour. Way too much carbonation, nearly 3/4 of the glass. Receding leaves some lacing (after a long time sitting).

S: Wonderful citrus hops come across the nose with hints of grapefruit, lemon pineapple and straw. This couples with a large malt sugar smell.

T: I got the twinge of sweetness first which gets joined by the grapefruit, lemon, pineapple and grassy straw hops. Not much pine as the hops are more fruity and light. The huge malt sweetness comes out in the form of sugar and bubblegum flavor and just lingers on through the finish. Hops peek again at the rear, but the sugar sweetness is what lasts. Almost cloying as was the Winter.

M: A bit prickly, way too much carbonation even on subsequent pours, no alcohol notices but the sweetness lingers.

D: Decent, better than the Winter, but you better like sweet IPAs.

Overall I am again disappointed with this beer. If sweeter IPAs are your thing, this is for you. Unfortunately, it's not my thing and I feel the beer turns almost cloying sweet. I really want to love this beer as some people rave about it, but alas I can't. Sorry Alesmith.

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle provided by nvsblman and shared with absolutesites on T-Day, 2005. Thanks for the opportunity! Pours a cloudy orange-apricot liquid with a light tan head. Smells grapefruity pith with orange oil, alcohol, and a malt sweetness. The smells are mild, mind you, but that's what I get. Taste is more sweet than hop flavor or bitter. Way too much crystal malt, to the point that I get a 'cobwebby' flavor I encountered in one of my early homebrews. The best single word description for this beer is really 'rough'. Hop bitter mixes with too much caramel amid an alcohol sting. Disjointed. Dry and edgy in the mouth, I'm looking forward to my next beer (and it won't be another of these). Fruity esters are pelted by the dramatic conflict of hops, sugary sweet, and alcohol such that they are lost. Thick sticky mouthfeel, but somehow dry in the throat.

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

bomber poured into a pilsner.

nice amber, coppery color with an inch of off-white creamy head.

nice hop aromas. pine up front, floral and citrus as well.

taste is hoppy, but not overwhelmingly so. some malts in there, but mainly citrusy malts and a nice clean, dry finish. touch of aspirin in the flavor as well. nice balance for a double IPA.

YuleSmith (Summer) from AleSmith Brewing Company