YuleSmith (Summer) - AleSmith Brewing Company

YuleSmith (Summer)YuleSmith (Summer)

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Summer

Lots of hops with a nice malty backbone on this one. It is released twice yearly; once in the Summer and once in the late Fall / early Winter. Winter bottles have green & red ink, Summer is blue & red. There is a variation in the malt bill for each version.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 11-24-2002)
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Brent (Swimsum) brought this one up from Long Beach to share with Trevor (lynx1245) and I. Late fall/early winter 2008 edition.

Poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours out thick and oily (for the style anyway). A creamy tan head forms on top of a cloudy, red-clay body. Fantastic retention and very nice spotty lacing. "Yeasties" float about within the body.

Smell: Pine, metallic hops, handfuls of toasted grains, spice, and caramel.

Taste: Toasted grains, lots of oily hops, caramel, honey, toasted bread. Really wish this review would've been more in-depth, but I was pretty buzzed at the time. Very smooth.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation produces a cool rolling effect across the palate. Creamy, oily, and medium-bodied. Delicious. Very smooth. Aftertaste is long lasting.

Drinkability: Awesome. What a gorgeous beer!

ThreeWiseMen, May 30, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -21.8%

Thanks to milwaukeeclassic & bu11zeye for sending bombers of this IIPA my way. Always up for a new IIPA any way, every day.

Well. The first one I inadvertently lost & it was a year old before I noticed, so I took it up to a Canadian island with no electricity in February figuring any beer would taste good, & it did, just fine, but the hops were gone. Didn't review it then (lacking electricity, heat, & any hint of civilization other than a few tip-ups on the ice!), but wanted to try it fresh. That time is now.

And I find that, again, the hops are MIA. The nose is all malt, & the taste follows suit. The brew is malty malty sweet, with just a coloring of hop bitterness at the end of the sip. Not nearly enough for an IIPA in my book.

It's not bad. The malt is strong enough that it doesn't lack taste or flavor, but malt isn't what I was expecting. I'm a bit baffled. Perhaps I've had two very old bottles in a row? Where are the hops?

Pretty good beer, but not at all to my taste of a IIPA.

maximum12, May 14, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

Winter Release

Pours a hazy, dense, reddish amber brown with a medium tan head that thins out with time but doesn't die completely. Fairly high carbonation and decent lacing.

Aromas are of dry-bitter and citrus hops and loads of malt sweetness with a touch of alcohol.

More bitter hops on the palate along with sweet and fruity malt flavors. Mild pine taste here I didn't detect from the nose. The spicy notes that usually rule on many Winter Ales finally peek though but are pushed to the side my the dominant malt and hops of this brew. As this beer warms the sweet character starts to beat out the hops. The overall hoppiness of this beer helps mask the alcohol a bit but it still seems pretty boozy, even for the 8.5% listed on the bottle.

Overall I have to hand it to Alesmith for bucking the trend of Winter spice bombs but I'm left wishing for a hair more complexity.

berkey, May 07, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

22 oz bottle thanks to the amazing haul I got from rhinos00. This is the Winter release and has been screaming for me to try it since I opened up that package. Served up in my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

A: Pours out a pretty nice and solid brown in color. When held to the light a touch of red comes through but this is absolutely and without a doubt brown. The pour foamed up on me, giving me about three fingers of head on the pour. It did fall down to a fine ring after a few minutes of rest. It creates a good amount of lacing that is pretty thick and chunky on the glass. The beer's body is clean and clear with a good amount of carbonation flowing up in this one. Good looking beer and off to a fine start.

S: Smell is nice as well. Getting a really nice malty goodness coming through. A good bit of caramel malt with a wonderful sweetness coming through. A touch of toffee goodness is coming out as well. The hops slide through with a nice pine resin coming out. A nice touch of grapefruit citrus as well. Slight buttery aroma with just a touch of spice.

T: Flavor is pretty damned good. For having some age on it, it comes across pretty nicely. Nice malts with a good caramel malty goodness. The malt is so nice and sweet with a touch of syrupy goodness. That sweet toffee comes out with a good sweetness. That sweetness is easily cut with a good amount of piney and slightly citrus hops that have held up incredibly well. Fresh, this must have a good amount of hops presence. That pine works really well and brings out that nice holiday flavor. Slight spiciness as well that really is good.

M: Medium in body that has a nice slick and slighty syrupy feel. Carbonation is high but it works well and thins this brew that feels a little heavier than expected. Doesn't make this brew too crisp, just nice and easy drinking. Each sip finishes with a slight dryness that is just enough to have you wanting more. ABV is nicely masked with just a touch of heat resting on the back of the throat. Aftertaste is some lingering caramel and pine. Damned nice.

D: A really nice brew. Goes down much easier than the feel and flavors would make you think or expect. Those flavors linger nicely and make this an easy drinking and enjoyable experience everything about this brew works and I can only imagine how much better this beer is fresh. Still, the maltiness makes this beer nice and fine with age. So I imagine this beer works all around. A great start to my Alesmith introduction.

everetends, May 04, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

Winter 08 bottle

A - Pours a clear chestnut brown with ruby highlights. There was a decent 1/2 inch of off white fluffy foam

S - pine and citrus hops with a bit of sweet malt

T - very bitey piney hops mixed well with the sweet malt backbone of this one

M/D - Nice carbonation and mouthfeel, a very nice hoppy brew with a good bite to it, very tasty indeed

Summer Holiday bottle review
3.5/3.5/3.5/3/3

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle on 11/10/09
A - Pours a golden yellow with 1 inch of foam that left some lacing

S - citrus hops dominate the aroma, orange, lemon

T - bitter earthy & citrus hops upfront, some sweet malt followed by a big hop bitterness

M/D - good carbonation, medium bodied, feels a bit thick and oily, a bit too bitter but good flavor, but i'll stick to just this bottle tonight, no need for another

mikereaser, Apr 29, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Had the winter version of this. Poured while waiting in line at DLD with some friends.

A-Poured into a small snifter. Nice golden amber color here with big off white head that took a while to come down leaving nice thick lacing around the sides.

S-The one thing I noticed off the top was it had a nice piney hop smell to it. It was settle but very noticeable to me. Also a little sweet malt smell with spices.

T-Man this beer is great. It has such an amazing taste to it. The malt and hops come together perfect with the hops taking a little bit more in the aftertaste. A little sweet but still can taste that pine to it. Also, maybe a little sweet citrus to it.

M-This was a nice medium heavy beer. It coats the mouth in a sweet/hop taste that doesn't make you cringe or want to lick your hands to get the nasty taste out. Wonderful.

D-This is a great drinker and only wish I could get it on a regular basis. This beer does it all for me and I'm kind of sad now that it is gone.

alleykatking, Apr 26, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a clear red amber with a nice and thick foamy head, lots of lacing.

The smell is of strong floral hops and a little pine with some slight malt feel.

The taste is a nice poppy floral hop flavor. Some good creamy elements with some malt in the background.

A great flavorful beer. Some really great even mouthfeel, balanced but with a slight sting in the pallet.

Duhast500, Apr 24, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -25.8%

The bottom of the glass appears to read 1/08 that would make this bottle 15 months old. So this review may be a result of this beer not aging well even though its bottle conditioned.

A- Deep ruby/amber in color. Large head that fades to a small head. Nice thick lacing on the glass. Looks yummy.

S- Well balanced. Subtle skunky wet hops and a almost dominant malt backbone.

T- The 8.8%ABV unpleasantly burns on the front of every sip. The hops are very bitter not welcoming as well. The beer is creamy and sappy. Bready finish. There is way to much alcohol and spice presence here to enjoy this.

M- Thick bodied, medium carbonation, sappy, sticky and has a dry finish.

D- This beer looks great and thats about it. It was a struggle to get through and lacked complexity.

Yesac, Apr 19, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Big thanks to sholland119 for this one!

Summer 07 edition, 22 oz bottle poured into the new Boulevard Smokestack chalice. Inch of off white/egg shell head. Tight foam formation with plenty of stickage. Color is a hazy amber orange.

Smell has a sweet honey suckle and orange blossom floral quality. A bit of honey sweetness. Taste is a little harsh in comparison to the smell. There is some fusel alcohol blended with a harsh hops bitterness. A little pine resin in the finish.

Mouthfeel is lighter and has a harsh scrubbing body. Still is able to maintain a juicy finish. Classic DIPA and a hopheap must.

Blipped "Yule Tide" by the Meltdowns

bort11, Apr 08, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearance - A dark ruby red almost mahogany color, with an off white almost yellow head. The head alone was a site, it ballooned half way up the glass and mushroomed over the top. Lacing is so thick and heavy that none of the top of the beer is present. Even after subsiding an inch thick of clumpy, puffy creaminess stayed firmly in place. Almost like meringue on top of a pie. The best head I have seen on any imperial IPA.

Smell - Lots of hops but in a creamy sort of way. You can tell this beer is gonna have a decent amount of malt to it. As a matter of fact it almost smells like a dark belgian quad! The nose has so much depth to it that it's really hard to grasp.

Taste & Mouthfeel - This is a big beer with a full body and chewy mouth watering flavor. There is a smattering of west coast hops, but what makes this beer the ambrosia it is, is the heavy caramel malt and honey backbone. The malts really anchor this one, and in a lot of ways steal the show. Unlike most Double IPA's that come out heavy and almost taste like a barleywine, this one pulls off the combination like no other. I've never had a big double ipa the matches this one in stunning perfection. Hops and creamy caramel malts. My oh my!

Drinkability - I'm really getting tired of Alesmith ruining every other brewery for me. There's no way anyone can live up to their excellence. I have no choice but to move to San Diego and give up all other beers except those that are brewed under the Alesmith banner. Well, maybe i'm just bullshitting, but hey could you blame me?

ryrust5301, Apr 02, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

Brought back a bottle from New Beer while i was in New York.

A - A deep crimson red with pillowy off white head 2-3 fingers thick in the glass. Lots of lacing.

S - Nice and hoppy, sweet malt scent.

T - Wow, what can I say. I didn't even get the actual beer in my mouth and I was hooked. The head tasted fantastic. Its hoppy, a little sweet, perfectly malted and perfectly hopped. Its like an Imperial IPA nirvana.

M - Low carbonation, mellow and slick.

D - This is awesome. I really can't tell you how much I love this beer. I wish I had access to it 24-7-365. I mean the taste is just amazing. If your a hope head this has got to be in your top 5, maybe even top 3. This beer simply amazed me. I will now wipe my drool and go back to drinking it. Enjoy this at all costs!

ShrLSU, Apr 02, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -10%

this is the winter, red and blue release. I think from 2007, maybe 2006, aged in cellar conditions, poured from the 22oz bottle into a Belgian goblet.

Appearance- Beer doesn't pour all that red really. But it is a gusher just like it's summer partner. It's reddish orange with a thick cloudyness that I would say looks more like a wheat beer than an imperial red. It looks as if milk was added it's so cloudy and creamy. The head rises fully to about two fingers, then dies down to a lovely murk across the top. Lacing clings well to the sides.

Smell- Sweet river water with pine and floral hops. Usually I would bash river water, but with these hop additions pairing with the munich and base malts I'm catching here, it really comes together well. A lot of citrus as well on the nose with a grapefruit and blood orange zest. Imperial red? Seems more like an Imperial IPA to me, but we'll see.

Taste- Creamy, yet a husky grainyness comes through firstly, then the wave upon wave of hops that I suppose is more expected from the Alesmith brand. The sweetness and tongue numbing really screams Imperial IPA over here to me than Imperial Red, but I have to give this a passing grade as a beer overall because the flavor is great. Warming alcohol drifts through the beer and I really don't believe this 8.8% claim.

Mouthfeel- Slightly sticky, husky, not quite cloying with bitterness, warming, full bodied, and medium in carbonation.

Drinkability- I like it. I would revisit this one above the summer any day. This along with a revisit to Speedway Stout has revitalized my diminished faith in Alesmith.

blakesell, Apr 01, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Got a bottle of this recently from mymrnngjckt. Thanks Kevin! Poured from a 22 ounce bomber bottle into my nonic pint glass. Appears a slightly hazy, deep copper color with about two fingers of dense off white foam. Lacing clings to the inside of my glass as I make my way to the bottom. I can actually tell that this will be a balanced beer just from the nose of it. Smells and tastes of caramel malt, grapefruit, pineapple, and a spiciness akin to rye malt. Extremely well balanced for my tastes. Medium to full bodied and sticky with medium carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden making this quite drinkable considering it's ABV. Check it out if you have the chance.

ClockworkOrange, Mar 30, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Bomber from Market of Choice. Insanely well balanced with a huge hop flavor that threatens to run amuck but is saved by just the perfect amount of maltiness. A bit of booze and pine in the finish with some citrus floating around as well. Alesmith is just so damn great, I wish we could get all their beers up here.

This rating is for the christmas version of Yulesmith.

Wackyfoot, Mar 25, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

22 oz bottle poured into a mexican tulip - Fridge temp - 2008

Appearance: A copper colored, transparent beer shows some moderate carbonation. The frothy, cream colored head rises a tall 5" and shows great retention. If anything, the head is too excessive. Tons and tons of coating lace.

Smell: Hoppy, spicy and malty. A caramel malt base is sweet but gets overtaken by a leathery, cinnamon and nutmeg spice. An earthy, herbal hop aroma is constant.

Taste: A smooth and sweet beer; this brew has a nice caramel flavor to go with the spices. Gingerbread, cinnamon, hop bitterness, and a slight root beer flavor are main components. A bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Lots of sweet, spicy, bitter and boozy feelings. Very vinous and coating in the mouth and throat. Because of this, there is a medium to heavy body.

Drinkability: A decent brew. The hops are awkward, but this could be one of the better holiday beers. Not bad.

Risser09, Mar 18, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

Chilled bomber into a glass.

A: Deep ruby / amber color with generous carbonation on the sides of the glass, and a continuously refreshing film of foam on the top. Nice lacing on the glass during a swig, and speckles of lacing down the sides during the drink.

S: Surprisingly, the caramel malt character comes out first and foremost, with a competing grapefruit hop essence. Secondary components include a light floral hop aroma and cinnamon / clove spice notes.

T: I'm honestly surprised to see caramel and toasted malts defining the presence of this beer, as they are the first and strongest taste on the palate. Grapefruit hops are not far behind, providing a rounded citrus bitterness to the profile. The spice kicks in during the finish, which is a sweet affair. The aftertaste sees all of these recede with light hints of floral hops on the tongue. I like the balance of flavor, but I'm disappointed that the hops don't play a larger role, given that it's a DIPA.

M: Medium-bodied, with medium carbonation that almost gives this a light crispness.

D: Quite high. I enjoy it as a beverage, not necessarily as a DIPA. It strikes me as more of a strong ale. But it's maddeningly drinkable, and I sad maddening because I hate paying $10 for a bomber... But I may just have to suck it up.

Arbitrator, Mar 09, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to rayunver for the bottle!

22oz Green/Red Winter Version poured into a Snifter at 45 degrees. Four finger-widths of head, I recommend pouring slowly with the glass tilted the whole way.

The best appearance of any beer I've had up to this point. Beautiful ruby musty red/amber hues with a killer light tan head that sticks for days on end and retention is awesome.

Smell is also great, lots of character, pineapple and other tropical fruits come through crystal clear, with some spicy pepper aromas to boot as well as some juniper and citrus/pine. Caramel is there too.

Taste is business in the front, party in the back. Lots of sweet caramel flavor up front and some bready characteristics beneath that seem almost rye-like. From there I get a progression into tropical fruits, chiefly pineapple, then grapefruit, followed by juniper berries, a little pine and some pepper. Extremely tasty and interesting through and through.

Also a great job on the feel, perfect amount of chewyness, yet still has a great level of carbonation all the way through.

Drinks pretty awesome, well thought out, supremely well balanced, and easy to drink with not too much alcohol heat. Does Alesmith ever get it wrong? Can't wait to try the DIPA version this summer.

Bubba83, Mar 05, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Wow!! This would get a 6 if possible!! Poured with almost 2 inches of very creamy smooth tan head, that dissipated to a 1/4 inch (which lasted the whole glass) over 5 minutes leaving very thick lacing down the entire side of the glass. The beer is a brown color that appears amber in the light, and is slightly hazy.

Smell: Very strong roasted malts, and hoppy bitterness, followed by a sweet caramel and fruityness, and spicy aromas appear... similar to nutmeg

Taste: Up front it is really hoppy, then the roasted malt appears, there is an alcohol taste, all followed by a spicy and nutty taste.

Mouthfeel: Hoppy tingle, medium/heavy bodied, small alcohol sting, leaves mouth really dry

Overall: Pretty drinkable, no problem finishing the 1pint 6oz bottle to myself. The alcohol is somewhat noticeable. VERY well balanced, just as hoppy as it is malty! Has some nice subtle spicy notes.

natasharai, Feb 26, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

This is winter 08/09.

Pours a slightly hazed reddish dark amber color with a substantial three inches of beige head. Head settles quite slowly, leaving a mess of stick on the sides and a very good, full lace.

Smell has some very resiny pine and citrus hops but also a substantial amount of malt. It's lightly toasty with lots of caramel, and pretty bready overall. As it warms a spicier note comes out; there must be rye in this. It's quite complex for a DIPA, but I'd almost wish for just a bit more hoppiness.

Taste is very malt forward, with lots of caramel and some toasted malt. There is also quite a spicy quality to this, even more so than the nose; it must be rye. There is some booze, as well. Wait you say, how about the hops? There are plenty of those, too, it's just that the malt forms more than just a backbone here - they stick their chest out and beat the hops to the palate. Hops are piney and resiny, giving a slick and oily mouthfeel. Some grapefruit and tangerine citrus flavor, as well. Hop bitterness is substantial but well balanced; not overdone by any means. A bit of alcohol burn does hit the back of the throat in the finish every now and then. I'll dock a notch for mouthfeel to account for that, rather than flavor. Also some hop bitterness and toasted/rye spiciness left on the palate. Mouthfeel is full bodied, a bit chewy even, and is quite oily and smooth as previously noted.

This is quite tasty and definitely not just a simple hop bomb. Very complex and tasty malt bill. The spiciness (it must be rye) and amped up malt bill really seems appropriate for the holiday season. There is a bit of booziness to it which detracts just a bit, and if anything I would say it could be a notch hoppier (more hop flavor at least, the bitterness is well balanced), but man, this is good stuff. A very unique DIPA, and a very good one.

number1bum, Feb 24, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Winter 08-09 edition of this beer being sampled.

Pours a dark-ruby color, with a good deal of sediment in stasis the glass. Billowey peach colored head with just the right amount of stick to it. Big hoppy grapefruit smell to it, with just a touch of soapiness accompanying. I can smell this one a foot away from my nose, and my sense of smell is horrible.

This one has a fair amount of sweet malt to it, but the overwhelming taste is fresh hops backed by sour grapefruit. Big hoppy body, but not overly bitter, not even for a DIIPA. No soapiness or lingering residue causing a harsh aftertaste, just cool constant bitterness. Good mouthfeel, a little syrupy, but for the style, solid. Very drinkable, again with no bitterness or anything. I'm not a big fan of huge IPAs, but I can tell why this one is so highly regarded. An excellent brew.

damienblack, Feb 19, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bomber into goblet.

Very clear, deep amber/copper. Active, foamy white head, fades to ring, eventually, leaves not alot but some lacing. Pretty close to glorious. SMELLS of hops, a well rounded profile including citrusy, floral and grassy elements. These all blend well with a prodigious malty base. Very smooth and complex, improving during the experience. TASTE characterized by bold but balanced hoppiness initially, but slightly sweet and balancing malty body and and some alc heat dancing around the palate and blending pleasantly, always in balance. FEELING is of moderate carbonation, rich pleasant texture, luxruious, and with super clean finish. DRINKS like something that has way too much flavor and complexity to take more than a sip at a time.

Highly recommended, should you be so lucky as to run across this one.

sprucetip, Feb 19, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a bottle with red and blue writing rather than green and red, but this is indeed the Holiday IPA (summer). LOTS of yeast in the bottom of the glass. The beer is a hazy golden color, like a hefe, maybe. Plenty of thick lacing around the glass. The smell was outstanding - pineapple and citrus - overpowering at first, but then sadly, it mellows out. Reminded me of my first HopSlam (tear). Very hoppy flavor up front, with plenty of citrus, and ripe apples. Slight hoppy bitterness on the way down. Mouthfeel is thick for an IPA, but still manages to stay smooth and not overwhelm with carbonation. This comes in a 25 oz. bottle (750 mL) and I would definitely order another.

raoulduke37, Feb 19, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Thanks to RomanW70 for sharing. Winter vintage served in my Gouden Carolus chalice. Poured orange with a half inch, tight, off-white head; some yeast particles evident in solution. Sheets of lacing revealed as the brew receded. Nose was grapefuit and floral hops. Taste follows nose, but some lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, lightly effervescent, but also somewhat creamy in texture at the same time. A solid DIPA. Abv is well-hidden and brew is style consistent, but my prefernce for DIPAs tends towards the sweeter side of the style.

Jwale73, Feb 19, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Winter version
Great appearnce with a dark copper and frothy white head. Active Carbonation.

Smell is a bit lighter than I am used to in something of this robust a profile. Piney, Citrusy.

Taste is similar to a barleywine with a slight hop lean.

Mouth is thick with medium carbonation.

Another winner from AS.

sonicdescent, Feb 16, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Matt (Drabmuh) for the bottle - a huge want for me for quite awhile now. Bottle into Sam Adams sensory glass.

Pours dark straw with a just a bit of copper, and a massive, rocky off-white head that causes the pour to take somewhere around 10 minutes, and eventually settles in to a thin, dense sheet on top. Massive sheets of static-like lacing.

Nose is of huge, massive tropical fruit - tons of pineapple and some tangerine, with a bit of a rock-candy edge, accented by just a nice bit of alcohol. Wee bit of caramel poking through.

Taste starts off with those big, smooth, juicy hops, same massive tropical pineapple and tangerine notes from the nose, with just a bit of piney bite to the lingering bitterness. Whatever light malt sweetness that comes through ends up adding to the juicy-fruit effect of the big tropical hops. Finish is long, juicy up front but eventually drying out and leaving a very manageable bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, deceptively light, just a bit oily. Carbonation is quite light and lets the hop character really shine through.

Drinkability is really very high. Some alcohol for sure, but the light(er) body, mild bitterness, and massive hop flavor all make this one go down really very, very easy. Very tasty beer. I noted that Winter version really did remind me of Christmas in a bottle, and by the same token, I totally get a tropical-island vibe from this one. Another very well-done beer from possibly my favorite hop-masters.

JohnQVegas, Feb 11, 2009