YuleSmith (Summer) - AleSmith Brewing Company

YuleSmith (Summer)YuleSmith (Summer)

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Summer

Lots of hops with a nice malty backbone on this one. It is released twice yearly; once in the Summer and once in the late Fall / early Winter. Winter bottles have green & red ink, Summer is blue & red. There is a variation in the malt bill for each version.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 11-24-2002)

OldPenguinHunter, Jun 13, 2012

mjw1200, Apr 05, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

A late night bottle split with onix1agr at the hulmeville inn. A summer version.

A- a massive light tan rocky head from a steady pour that lasts forever and leaves loads of sticky lace all the way down. Hazy orange yellow in color with a nice glow.

S- juicy sticky hop resin and citrus fruits. Sweetness reminding me of simple syrup. Touches of pine and honey.

T- slightly bitter orange, grapefruit, and some tropical fruits from the hops with just a touch of pine. Decently sweet with honey and powdered sugar. Some bready doughy malts.

M- a few steps above medium in body with a bit of sticky sappy hit. Mid level carb that works well with the body to keep the brew around a while.

D- I would have had to problem killing a whole bomber. This one a had a few months on it and was still holding up well being that my boy had it fresh as well. Ill have to snag a freshy when I get the next chance.

oglmcdgl, Oct 13, 2010

tdmccarthy, Jul 12, 2013

laxer8811, Jul 25, 2012

SDRedDevil, Sep 03, 2014
4.26/5  rDev +0.9%

This imperial ipa pours a handsome copper color with a generous white head that gives way to a nice film and lacing. The nose is a spectacular blend of bitter west coast hops and sweet malt. Notes range from tangerine and grapefruit to pine and light caramel. The mouthfeel is smooth and slightly sticky with a pleasant resiny coating quality. Flavor is a bit more bitter and hoppy than the nose. All the wonderful qualities are still present but not as balanced as in the aroma. This is quite well done. Not perfect but damb goid and worth trying.

lochef81, Jun 05, 2014
4.26/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: Gold, huge head.

Smell: Big piney aroma.

Taste: Nice caramel sweetness then piney bitterness. Relatively balanced. Not too bitter. A little more citrus comes through as it warms up.

Overall: Picked up a bottle in Illinois, excited to try my first Alesmith. A good DIPA, a little more balanced than I expected, I thought it would be a tongue bruiser in bitterness. But it was moderate in body and feel with a nice hoppy taste.

Mdog, Jul 07, 2013
4.27/5  rDev +1.2%

KVH, Aug 19, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Summer 2006 blue and red silkscreened label. Pours into my glass a nice bright copper orange color with a small bubbly head on top that quickly fades. Aromas of resiny, pine sap hops along with hints of citrus and a blast of caramel. A bit fruity with a waft of alcohol. Good stuff.

First sip brings a blast of dense piney hop resins coated in a wall of sweet caramel malts. Notes of citrus work through along with a hint of breadiness and fruit. It flows down with a nice solid bitterness and a touch of alcohol on the finish. Overall...a damn tasty, big brew. I always enjoy me some YuleSmith.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied with a nice mellow carbonation. Goes down fairly easily. A pretty strong brew that I enjoy sampling every now and again when I run across it. AleSmith brews always seem to make me a happy camper :-)

orbitalr0x, Mar 22, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Poured into my pint glass, this IIPA pours a haystack murky yellow with a white capped head that leaves little lace.

S: The aroma smells more malty than hoppy. Still, I sense a good amount of grapefruit mixed with a sweet, bready pale malt aroma. I wish this IIPA was fresher...I know this beer has to be phenomenal when fresh.

T: Sweet, balanced flavor. A good hoppy bitterness, with a refreshing sweet malt. More hops are surely dominate when fresh, but the malt in this brew is extremely tasty. A precise amount of caramel malt must provide the balance.

MF: Mouthfeel is crisp, yet with a full body. Carbonation is spot on. Finish is clean and doesn't wreck the pallet.

Overall, I'm sure this beer when fresh is a notch above, however, I am glad just to have had a taste of this brew. Thanks to Chris for showing me around Philly and making this possible.

TKEbeerman, Sep 26, 2011

Winter edition

Got this in a trade a few months back from tpd975 and had it in the fridge since.. My only regrest is that I didn't try this sooner as I think the hops has faded a bit.

A. copper/ orange with a huge white head., that spilled over the side. I don't have much pride I'll admit... I sucked the overflow off the kitchen table.

S. Smells like a citrusy caramel. Like you're eating cowtail and chasing it with a piece of grapefruit. I'm digging it.

T. Age definitely mellowed the hops to almost non existence. still slightly there but now more of a boozy malt taste to it. Very cold, you get the taste of what this beers potential is fresh and it's amazingly good with the initial hop kick.

M. i don't think age would help or hurt mouthfeel. not a whole lot going on in it. slightly over average.

D. Drinkability could be excellent from taste but the 8%abv will knock you the hell out and go through your wallet while you're unconcious. This beer could lead to a rough night

Overall it's a damn fine beer even with some age on it. Would love to try this fresh

EGledhill, Nov 19, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a deep hazy amber color with a nice 2 finger cream colored head that leaves some light lacing behind.

Aroma is nice big chewy malt with lots of good hops underneath, a big bodied brew almost barley wine like.

Taste is malt lots of caramel with toffee hints big and chewy again with some big deep bitter flavors underneath the massive body. Good hop flavors with out being overdone. Lingering pine bitterness and resin mixed with citrus flavors apricot and pear dominating the citrus part. Tastey beer more so then the smell.

Mouthfeel is big full fat and chewy with nice level of carbonation. Again barley wine like in feel also.

Drinkability is good an enjoyable seasonal and I2PA with a huge malty body. Wouldn't mind having a few of these every winter. Thanks merlin48 for sharing this treat with me.

mntlover, Feb 03, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Picked up a couple bottles of this from Joey at South Bay. Thanks Joey! You rock.

Summer Release

Poured a 22oz bomber into a snifter.

Appearance - Transparent orange gold with amber hues. The head is white colored and extremely fine textured. The head dissipates to a thick halo and thin crown across the surface of the glass. There is a constant string of carbonation that rises from the bottom to the surface of the glass. Decent lacing is left behind as I drink. This is going to be a great beer, and I can tell just by looking at it.

Smell - Great hop aroma here. I can smell primarily candied orange, lemon rind, grapefruit, pineapple, a hint of pine, and maybe even mint. The malt build is rather low in the scent, but I think it ties in closely to the candied orange scent that I pick up - honey-like and sweet.

Taste - Alesmith has never disappointed me, and this is no exception. The flavor is very close to the scent in its essence - the main components are still there, however, they make their presences' known in a different way. The flavor is much more bitter and less sweet than the flavor would lead you to believe. There is an initial sweetness that quickly gives way to the hops. There is large citrus component of orange and lemon, and tropical fruit that transitions into hop bitterness that is very pine and grapefruit-like. I wish that the bitterness was toned down just a bit to highlight the actual hop flavor.1

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Feels great as it washes over the tongue - resinous and slightly oily. The carbonation level is just about where I want it - more than enough to keep it interesting. There is a slight twinge of booze in the finish which adds to the dryness.

Drinkability - This is a great beer. Extremely easy to drink and satisfies my hop fix. Alesmith has a way with hoppy beers - their IPA is probably my favorite of all time. While not my favorite - it is FAR from disappointing. I should have picked up a few more bottles.

Thanks again Joey!

MiguelMandingo, Aug 28, 2008

22oz bottle poured into a tulip
no born on date, but 2012 summer bottle (usually released around the 4th of July but I believe this batch was a little early so this bottle is probably about 6 weeks old)

A big thanks to Redbeeron for sending over a pair of these in a trade.

A: Pours a clear dark straw yellow with a huge 2.5 fingers width of bright snow white colored head, which takes forever to dissipate down to a drinkable level.  Sheets of lacing coat the glass all the way down.  A touch light in color, otherwise it would have been a perfect 5.

S: Ton of sweet, juicy citrus hops including massive pineapple aroma along with mango and tangerine.  There is also a significant dank, resinous hop aroma, some malt sweetness, the faintest hint of booze, and a grassy/herbacious character.   Awesome.

T: Tons of hop spice on the tongue, which I didn't get much of on the nose.  A solid, sweet malt backbone.  Citrus, but in the taste the citrus character is  more lemon and grapefruit, and unfortunately the juicy pineapple notes dont come out.  Lots of piney bitter characteristics do though, and this remains very tasty even with the citrus profile that falls short of the nose.

M/D: Pretty heavily carbonated, which when mixed with the bitterness, give it a biting quality.  Medium bodied with a big, quick drying finish.  ABV is exceptionally masked, and drinkability it great.  This one doesn't have to be a sipper, in fact, you have to make a conscious effort to slow down.  Drinks much lighter than its ABV.

O:  Overall, a fine DIPA indeed!  A DIPA that drinks like a (great) single IPA.  This is one of those beers that would certainly make my regular rotation if it were available locally and year round.  Needless to say, Im glad I got to try it, and I highly recommend.  This is only my 3rd Alesmith offering (Speedway Stout and regular IPA being the other two), but all 3 were home runs.  Id like to try a fresh one of these side by side with the fresh standard Alesmith IPA.  From what I remember I think I like the regular IPA better, but its close.  Great beer.

zac16125, Aug 13, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

I found this bottle in the back of the fridge so on June 1, I opened the Christmas double IPA.

It's a nice dark gold color with two fingers of head in a nonic tumbler with lacing all the way to the end.

Smell is hops, strong and pungent. It has a big, oily, nicely carbonated mouthfeel.

Very fine tasting beer. Hops and malt in a nice balance with some caramel and alcohol making its presence known. The hops are paramount but not overwhealmingly bitter.

I normally like dark Belgians, stouts, and porters in the winter but this is a fine brew you can enjoy year round. If you like the style then this is a fine example and you should try it. For me, it was definitely worth waiting for and next winter, I'll be enjoying it again.

jsapunor, Jun 02, 2009

from hudson w&s

shared this with my pops on xmas day. the darkest IPA i've ever seen? there's a big hop (...and a hoppy new beer; we'll get to that later), but a nice malt lurks in the background. here's a chronological account of drinking yulesmith: "that's dark," "smells like hops," "tastes like hops," "mmmm....there's something nice after the hops." is it chestnuts? that would be season appropriate, but so would egg nog and reindeer. definitely nutty and caramely

let's get to the hop. piney aroma, mostly. not so much citrus, but it's there. some sweetness comes through. resinous flavor that follows consistently into the bitterness.

not exactly a session brew, but damn tasty. hoppy holidays!

bruachan, Dec 26, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

22oz bottle poured into my trusty Berwick Brewing pint glass. Got this one at Whole Foods for a whopping $8.99 a great price in these here parts. The last one on the shelf. Celebrating 4th of July with this one.

Yulesmith Summer goes into the pint glass looking a hazy orange with some gold trimmings in between, on par for a DIPA from out west. The head on this is magnificent, it really looks magical. It is a bright off white color with foamy bubbly appearance. It condenses into a creamy head with a rocky appearance. Billowy and glass coating, perfect!!

Smells leap out with vigor including a plethora of hop juice and sweet malts backing that huge hop bill. Getting a load of grapefruit with slight tangerine/orange and some papaya to go along. No real pine up in here. Citrusy but also sweet smelling. You can just smell the sweet malt backing, it does take 2nd place though. No sign of alcohol.

Yulesmith summer while very citrusy in taste does not contain any of those piney tastes often found in west coast DIPA's, no pine at all. A great mix of hops and malts. Citrus squeezed grapefruit with some papaya and mango although the mango is quite light. Sweet malt with semi caramel. The sweetness is big but not cloying. Not really all that bittering. A touch of alc. in the finish, small potatoes though. Great stuff.

The body is above medium with a semi coating feel that goes away in time. Im not bombarded by a bittering feel more like hop juice coating the mouth. I would not mind just a bit more bitterness, it ain't no thang. This is carbed fine and ample but it sort of gets lost under the body, not overly crisp. My tounge does not hurt after this. I could drink more beer after this and actually taste it, not a palate destroyer. This is a fresh bottle by the way.

All in all this is a great DIPA. I think some classify this as a imperial red ale and I can see that with the assload of sweet malt packed in here, but the tropical fruit screams WEST COAST DOUBLE. I drank a bomber of this and I felt the effects with 8.5% and I would do it again. Im on the prowl for more bottles. Great stuff.

BARFLYB, Jul 05, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks n0rmann for this one. Winter version.

Large capped bottle poured into a tulip. Copper colored, red highlights, tan head with very good retention and some lacing.
Nice aroma, malty, bready with lots of caramel, but also fruity and hoppy, grapefruits, flowers, resinous notes.
Rich body, taste follows the nose. Rich caramel maltiness, well balanced by a fruity, bitter hoppiness. Not overly complex, but well balanced and very satisfying.

brdc, Sep 09, 2008