YuleSmith (Summer) - AleSmith Brewing Company

YuleSmith (Summer)YuleSmith (Summer)

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Summer

Lots of hops with a nice malty backbone on this one. It is released twice yearly; once in the Summer and once in the late Fall / early Winter. Winter bottles have green & red ink, Summer is blue & red. There is a variation in the malt bill for each version.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 11-24-2002)
Kendo

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

"That's fucking good." - My wife, upon tasting this beer.

Summer 2010 version, scored a bottle at Halftime Beverage in Poughkeepsie recently. Consumed on 11-10-10.

A: Poured into a Duvel tulip. Body is clear, bright honey-golden, with a 1+ finger of whitish head on top. Some rings of lace up top, followed by good splotchy lace thereafter. Loads and loads of finely-bubbled carbonation rises from the etched Duvel "D".

S: This is the DIPA nose that makes me want to stick my nose in the glass and inhale - over and over again. I get lots of citrus (grapefruit and oranges), tropical fruits (pineapple definitely) and even apricot. Touch of malty sweetness underneath - think sugar cookie dough. Some pine too. If I could give a score higher than 5, I'd give it to the nose of this beer. Wonderful.

T: Follows the nose, but in a real balanced way. That sugar cookie dough is there announcing the malt's presence. It's modest, but it's not getting beaten back by the juicy, fruit-salad-like hops entirely. But those hops are the star of the show: juicy citrus (clementine oranges and grapefruit), tropical fruit and a bit of pine towards the end. Candied apricots too. Also just a touch of spice, which is more evident in the burps than on the way down. Somewhat lemony bitterness in the aftertaste after the more juicy hops up front.

M: Smoooth. That fine carbonation has created a wonderful feel to this beer. Call the heft medium-to-heavy, but the bright hops seem to lighten it up. Juicy and creamy. Very nice.

D: I could put this down in no time, notwithstanding the 8.5% ABV. Really enjoying this one.

Notes: This is the best DIPA I've had in a very long time. Rivals Stone X and Goose Island Imperial - two retired DIPAs that are seared in my mind forever. If I can get this next year, I will buy a case. Seriously.

11-11-2010 02:48:56 | More by Kendo
mrgnwlkr

Kansas

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz bomber from the AleSmith tasting room in a pint glass, 2010 release.

Massive, white, crumbly, persistent head. Slight carbonation visible in the glass. Good lacing. Delightful aroma. It's almost enough just to sit and smell the beer. Tropical fruit with some pine. Taste is similar, with a bit more hop bitterness and some spiciness, with a long finish. The feel is moderate, but it definitely seems to coat the mouth. Even at 8.5%, it's neither overbearing nor cloying.

AleSmith makes some of my very favorite beers (in a commendably hype-free way) and YuleSmith did not disappoint. This definitely goes on my list for next year, although I'll probably try to drink it a little closer to release.

11-11-2010 02:01:22 | More by mrgnwlkr
chalsk

4.22/5  rDev 0%

My first beer from the AleSmith brewery. Pours a lighter amber orange color with a thick white foam head. Has an aroma of grapefruit and pine with a hint of spice. Starts sweet and foamy. Then the hop hit. Some spice and grapefruit taste through the finish. Nice carbonation level that kicks up the foaminess of the brew, making it texturally more similar to a belgian strong. More biting than creamy or resiny. Unique and tasty.

11-07-2010 22:21:49 | More by chalsk
kingcrowing

Vermont

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip, 2010 vintage.

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a one finger light yellow, and very creamy head, instantly starts to lace up. Nose is a bit light, but this is a bit old so I'm sure aromas have faded. It's sweet and malty with a light floral note.

It hasn't oxidized at all, but the hops have faded just a bit, it's still got a nice hop bite on my tongue but it's not overwhelming which makes it pretty drinkable, although the abv does come through on the finish. Mouthfeel is really nice and creamy. Theres a pretty strong caramel flavor in this that I enjoy a lot.

11-07-2010 19:53:40 | More by kingcrowing
TCHopCraver

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks for the bottle, zoso1967. Thanks for drinking it with me, BuckyFresh. Reviewed from notes on 10/15/10.

A: Biggest. Head. Ever. Seriously, this bomber was roughly split 3 ways and each snifter had a four plus finger head. The froth receded in my glass to leave a clump that looked like a breast. The color looks almost more like a Tripel than your typical Double IPA - very medium to dark gold. The lacing on the glass is awfully clumpy and sticky.

S: Grassy, earthy hops are the dominant smell. A little bit of caramel malt sings to my nose along with a Belgian yeast-esque aroma. I smell a fresh herbal scent which is very minty. The smell is a little spicy and quite fresh.

T: This is a different taste for me from a Double IPA. It is very freshly herbal, with a taste that reminds me a bit of a Belgian golden ale. I taste a lot of garden herb flavors - mint, parsley, and coriander among them. The aftertaste does have a good lingering hop bitterness. I would like to know what the dominant hop is in the mix because I am not at all familiar with it.

M: There is a nice biting hop presence on the sides of my palate, but overall the MF is a little thin for me.

D: I could really sip this beer for a long time. The herbal character feels very refreshing in my mouth. However, it did not really have the characteristics of a Double IPA for which I look.

10-30-2010 16:57:11 | More by TCHopCraver
beerwolf77

2.73/5  rDev -35.3%

Thanks goes to sweemzander for sharing this bottle. Poured into my duvel tulip.

A: Bright clear yellow with a thick two fingers of eggshell hued head. Thick gobs of lace remain after a slow settle.

S: Tons of citrus hops. Just a hint of malt sweetness can be picked out. Mostly just tropical fruits.

T: Huge drop off from the nose. The acrid bitterness is almost comical. Not a good bitter in any way. It almost tastes off to me. Just sharp and overpowering sourness.

M: Medium body with loads of carbonation.

D: Overall solid in every aspect except for the flavor. Which pretty much ruined it for me. I had to drain pour the last of my glass.

10-28-2010 00:23:42 | More by beerwolf77
BuckyFresh

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Thank to zoso1967 for this traded-for beer.

Appearance: Split two ways with TCHopCraver and poured into a large wine glass. This beer has the largest head ever! The head was probably three or four fingers at its apex, and left a good inch or two of sticky lacing. Once the head dissipated, there remained a foamy structure in the shape of a pig's nose floating in the middle of the glass. The color of the beer is a clear golden and quite a bit of carbonation can be seen rising in the glass.

Smell: Lots of pineapple. Sweet grainy malt and tons of hop aroma. There isn't much bitterness to the smell, just a lot of grassy notes. There's also a bit of mineral funkiness playing in the background.

Taste: Surprisingly mellow for an imperial. It almost kind of tastes like a mojito. There is a bit of spicy Belgian influence going on here, and a bit of a hot finish. The beer is really not too hoppy, nor is it too malty; I feel like it needs to decide to go one way or the other.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, pretty creamy, with a slightly metallic aftertaste.

Drinkability: Not a difficult drinker for a double. I would definitely come back to this one.

10-27-2010 23:31:13 | More by BuckyFresh
sweemzander

3.28/5  rDev -22.3%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to domtronzero for tossing this one in as an extra!

(A)- Pours a crystal clear yellow color. Produced a massive white frothy head with some serious retention behind it. It is just clinging to the glass with lots of bubbly lacing.

(S)- A nice woody pine and creamy citrus of pineapple, grapefruit, and lemon. Crisp.

(T)- Has a rather tart profile with some serious pineapple & grapefruit citrus up front. Tons of citrus in this that really borderlines on tartness level. Some minimal woody pine.

(M)- A tad higher carbonation level than you would expect from the style, but it really is not too bothersome. Really crisp because of it though, with really potent citrus. Some bitterness.

(D)- Slightly different, yet interesting take on a massively over-made style these days. Huge citrus, with ever present bitterness. Good, but I prefer their regular IPA.

10-25-2010 17:51:48 | More by sweemzander
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

22 oz bottle split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip. 8.5% ABV, no date.

Thanks to sweemzander for bringing this to the table for the top 100 tasting the other night!

A - Brilliantly clear for a double IPA and insanely carbonated, YuleSmith pours with a massive bone head. Low retention and not a whole lot of lace left over either.

S - Citrusy woman's body lotion/ sun-tan lotion aroma. It's got that beach tan lotion smell all the way through it with grapefruit and lemon citrus. Caramel malts have a nice background. I like the aroma, it's different.

T - Very citrus-full, I still get those sun-tan lotion notes but there's a lot of hoppy citrus and pine notes going on still. Lots of caramel and crystal malts give it a balancing sweetness.

M - Medium-bodied and sharp in flavor and carbonation. Moderate to high bitterness on the finish.

D - Interesting double IPA, it's unlike any I've ever had before. Good drinkability, I enjoy it but it's something I'd split if I had the chance to drink it again.

10-24-2010 16:53:41 | More by BeerFMAndy
mdfb79

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip. Bottle is a 2010 Summer version.

a - Pours a murky orange-golden color with two fingers of fluffy off white head that lasts for several minutes and high carbonation evident. Nice lacing on the glass as well.

s - Smells of citrus hops, pine hops, fruity malts, and bready malts. Lots of hops in the smell, smells great.

t - Tastes of bitter citrus hops, fruity malts, bitter pine hops, tropical fruit, and pale malts. Bitter up front but then goes down easy.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Very smooth going down and easy to drink for 8.5% ABV.

d - A pretty nice IPA. I thought there were a lot of citrus and pine hops in the smell, which was great. Would definitely have again.

10-21-2010 00:21:08 | More by mdfb79
scottyshades

4.93/5  rDev +16.8%

Thanks to mrmiles for the bomber! (reviewed from notes 9/25)

A: Pours a very hazy gold/straw color with a big fluffy head. Retention is perfect! Gorgeous pour, and the head is similar to Alesmith's IPA, which basically looks like meringue

S: The nose is kind of subtle, but very balanced. Lots of pale malts play well with a huge citrus note (tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, and mango). This is awesome - Sculpin's cousin

T: Huge bitterness upfront that is balanced by a nice honey-like sweetness. Yeast is unique, and quite flavorful. Citrus, tropical fruit hops are here also.

MF/D: Slightly prickly carbonation, but otherwise medium body and pretty smooth. Bittersweet citrus finish.

Notes: AleSmith makes some damn good offerings. I believe this is my third offering after Speedway and their IPA, all of which received near-perfect scores.

10-15-2010 20:14:59 | More by scottyshades
oglmcdgl

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

A late night bottle split with onix1agr at the hulmeville inn. A summer version.

A- a massive light tan rocky head from a steady pour that lasts forever and leaves loads of sticky lace all the way down. Hazy orange yellow in color with a nice glow.

S- juicy sticky hop resin and citrus fruits. Sweetness reminding me of simple syrup. Touches of pine and honey.

T- slightly bitter orange, grapefruit, and some tropical fruits from the hops with just a touch of pine. Decently sweet with honey and powdered sugar. Some bready doughy malts.

M- a few steps above medium in body with a bit of sticky sappy hit. Mid level carb that works well with the body to keep the brew around a while.

D- I would have had to problem killing a whole bomber. This one a had a few months on it and was still holding up well being that my boy had it fresh as well. Ill have to snag a freshy when I get the next chance.

10-13-2010 22:48:51 | More by oglmcdgl
Chaney

District of Columbia

3.38/5  rDev -19.9%

I got this bottle from MaxStout in a trade. Thanks dude!

A: Very cloudy, light orange color with very generous carbonation and huge mammoth, almost ridiculous head. The retention is so great that it is almost stretching my patience.

S: This thing is going to be a huge citrus bomb!

T: This thing is pretty boozy. I taste the hops, citrus, and some semblance of a malt backbone, but the beer in front of me is not a very balance brew.

M: Foamy and the some! Is this thing unfiltered? The carbonation is pleasant, but the ABV is DEFINITELY detectable. The sweetness is just right for the style.

D: If I ever travel to San Diego, Alesmith is on the top of my list. If I were to travel there, I'm sure it will be in the summer due to my wife's job, so I will order this one (the seasonal) first. Then, I will get a healthy, fresh, on tap taste of this stuff

10-12-2010 18:41:07 | More by Chaney
donkeyrunner

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Hazy honey color with a big, chunky head. White wall lacing left by mashed 'tater retention.

Aroma is straight hop candy: citrus hops with floral and soft pine edges combined with sweet Twinkie malt.

Taste is more sweet hop candy. Citrus hops are balanced by sweet Twinkie malt. Balanced for a DIPA. There's enough booze floatin' around in there that I'm glad this aged for 3 months but I feel like I missed out on some on the hops in all their glory. A conundrum. Smooth, full mouthfeel.

10-12-2010 00:58:51 | More by donkeyrunner
TheFightfan1

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a tulip. Pours a golden color , towards copper I suppose. Nose is heavy in crystal malts very rich nose and a nice juicy like hop aroma. Taste explodes on the palate. Very juicy middle with a heavy bitter finish. Malts are a decent backing but are no match for the heavy bitterness. Mouthfeel has great great carbonation but does seem to be a bit overkill in my glass. Only a half a pour before the heading flows over the rim. MAybe a bit too much.

10-09-2010 19:55:19 | More by TheFightfan1
jdense

Oregon

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

22 oz. bottle obtained from SoCal store, shared with beer compatriot served in tulip glasses 9.28.2010.

Orangish gold body, trail of carbonation rising from bottom of etched glass. A real gusher, 3+ fingers of Duvel-like head, slow dissipation with above average lacing. Aroma is quite balanced for style, the hops weren't very aggressive, floral, some citrus a wee bit of tropical fruit, with good dose of crystal malt. Taste mirrors nose, while the hops became more noticeable as it warmed the finish was fairly mild re not bitter. Medium mouthfeel above average effervescence. Good drinkability, though in retrospect IMO the winter version is a bit superior, this is a tough category to stand out in. Moreover, I prefer the regular Alesmith IPA which is divine.

09-29-2010 15:49:58 | More by jdense
bigfnjoe

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint.

A- pours a dark yellow/light orange with a 3 finger white head. Pretty cloudy, lots of rising bubbles. Lacing is minimal. Disappointing there

S- really strong citrus hops, mainly oranges...it smells nearly identical to some freshly squeezed OJ. Now THAT is a good smell

T- tons of juicy citrus, with a very slight amount of piney bitterness at the finish. Getting a little bit of tropical fruit as well...delicious. Maybe a little TOO sweet...I'd like a tad bit more bitterness, actually

M- not sticky, thank god. Good, solid, thick body.

D- this is a damn good DIPA. Nice and juicy, and a great beer for those who fear bittering hops to try to get into the style

09-26-2010 21:39:36 | More by bigfnjoe
claspada

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Aromas are quite citrusy and fruity, I'm guessing from the NW hops. Some oranges, grapefruit, citrus and a bit of piney hops mixed in there as well. Solid but not overwhelming sweet pale and caramel maltiness.

Taste is crazy good. What this is 8.5% ABV, no way, I don't believe it. I would have guessed 7 max. Dangerously delicious. Citrus flavors and sour fruit peel hop bitterness. Hefty backing of malty sweetness, but no where close to cloying, provide excellent balance but the hops still own this show.

Solid across the board, goes down easy...a pleasure. An excellent, fairly uncomplicated beer that was great to try, look forward to trying the Yule Smith Winter version in December. Seek out this gem if you can.

09-24-2010 12:42:16 | More by claspada
BarrytheBear

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle courtesy of Mike...thank you

Craving a Friday night free of plans I find myself drinking this bomber while watching local high school football on public access and...I'm cool with that.

Monstrously frothy egg whites atop a clear light orange base. The head on this beer seems hell bent on trying to escape the top of my tulip.

Smells like sugary, boozy sweet C-hops....perhaps a bit faded.

Tastes like Pop Rocks. Pretty sure these still exist, but as a kid my brother would eat the shit out of those candied abominations. The orange and pineapple amalgamation really snaps, crackles, and pops on the tongue. Oh copyright infringement!

This candy-breakfast cereal hybrid comes replete with a boozy heat to accompany the zesty carbonation. As this beer hits the middle and back of the tongue the bitterness really starts to shine through and assault the palette. It's a welcome accompaniment to the poprockiness. Enjoyable in that it's not a syrupy sweet mess that keeps me from enjoying many a cloying Double.

09-18-2010 01:40:37 | More by BarrytheBear
kbeals

3.35/5  rDev -20.6%

TrebleStauter sent me this one, thanks again!

A- Hazy, bright yellow in color with a finger of thick, creamy white head. Good head retention and good lacing. Relatively thick lacing actually, very nice.

S- Big doses of earthy hops and slightly boozy. I don't usually expect much complexity from DIPA's, but this one really doesn't have much to it.

T- Earthy hops, and once again the booziness shows up. No malt backbone to really speak of, pretty dry and bitter. Very average IMO.

M- Medium bodied, about what I expect from a DIPA. Well carbonated at least, not syrupy like other DIPA's.

D- The booziness gets to me after a while. I'd also have love to seen a better blend of hops. The sheer earthiness got to me, maybe I'm more of a citrus type of guy. Not the best DIPA in the world, but most certainly not the worst.

09-18-2010 00:35:46 | More by kbeals
Manoftyr

4.22/5  rDev 0%

I'm re-reviewing this after receiving a fresh bottle from Rand who was rather insistent that I had gotten two bad bottles of this. Thanks Rand!

Poured into tulip

Appearance-Pours an orange-ish yellow with a big, beautiful, thick and resplendent head; one of the nicest heads I've ever seen with awesome retention that leaves big chunks of lacing along the rim.

Aroma-The pungent smell of fruity hops followed by a kind of caramel-pine. There's a big candied pineapple and grapefruit character, maybe some citric zest as well, I also detect some pear. A nice little bouquet of hops here.

Taste-Dry upfront, honestly a little 'too' dry for my liking but still alright, followed by a bitter-sweet fruity bouquet reminiscent of the aroma laid upon a thin layer of crystal malts. Some alcohol warmth in the mid-palette. Finishes dry with a flecking of hops.

Mouthfeel-Oily and slightly sticky but a tad too thin for my liking; could use a bigger body.

Drinkability-It's complex, that's for sure, but still a tad too dry for me to sip compulsively, I'm enjoying taking small sips here and there and picking out the various flavors though.

09-16-2010 17:31:19 | More by Manoftyr
asabreed

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Bomber into a 12 oz. Samuel Smith nonic.

Appearance: Initially I confused the two holiday brews and wondered why a red would be a golden yellow with a bright white frothy head. The wreath confused me initially, but alas. Great lacing and retention, but oddly not a lot of bubbles shooting up the body of the brew.

Smell: Immediately the balance is evident here. Clean, fresh, soaked hops, with a lot of carameled pine -- if there is such a thing, which there's not I supposed -- but there's a great tropical fruit ester component with huge candied orange, tangerine, strawberry, and some Jolly Rancher watermelon. But the leafy, resin-soaked hops, though again, balanced, are central here, the balance is the thing that makes this something many breweries can't match when it comes to the DIPA.

Taste: Mostly coming through from the aroma, the soaked, resiny hops are big here, and lingering, with candied fruit esters working well with the hops. The lingering bitterness is grapefruit and resin-infused hops, with nice complimentary fruit esters, making it initially Hop Head City, but the balance melds and lingers. Quality, balance, and balls -- through and through.

Mouthfeel: Good and medium-bodied with a nice crispness, but also a nice creaminess with the carbonation. A funny thing: as it warms, the reason why there are no bubbles floating up from the body has to do with the monster head that starts forming and billowing, but it took the brew a while for it to get to that point.

Drinkability: Quality, freshness, and balance. Bring on the adjectives. A wonderful DIPA. One of the tastiest and most raucous I've had, in addition to the balance, as I've said way too much already, being what separates this from the pack. I wish I would've gotten another, but if I ever see it again, I'll do it then.

09-16-2010 01:19:36 | More by asabreed
newk340

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

A: a glowing yellow orange, a thin head with spotty lacing. did gush upon opening...

S: hints of a pleasant blend of florals, citrus, spices, and hops.

T: bitter orange flavor permeates the mouth right through to the swallow.

MF/D: sizzle of lasting carbonation that fizzles as it slides down the throat. perfect for a summer afternoon.

09-14-2010 21:50:22 | More by newk340
infi

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

22 oz. bomber, split with BAs brun, glard and NYManc.

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a murky and pale golden color with lots of carbonation present within the liquid. Didn't realize that this bottle was bottle conditioned, so there was a bit of sediment floating around. A tall white head sits atop the brew, which measures to be quite sizable and has a nice retention duration before dissipating completely into a thin cap. Decent amount of speckled lacing is left upon the glass after every taste as well. On the nose is an amazing fruity and citrus aroma, akin to lychees, orange peel and grapefruit, which eases into a honey sweetness and then is immediately overwhelmed by a nice grassy and piney hoppiness.

Taste is greeted by a thin bitter hop bite on the front end, alongside some citrus subtleties and then falls back on a flavorful maltiness. The finish is incredible with the breadyness from the malt and yeast shining through on the palate quite well. Very well balanced, in my opinion.

Mouthfeel is extremely creamy and smooth - medium-bodied with low carbonation levels. So much more than I expected in this IPA. And drinkability is definitely high. This summer's Yulesmith is incredibly flavorful and quite easy to drink.

09-11-2010 07:49:02 | More by infi
FeDUBBELFIST

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Bomber to pint glass based on the recommendation written on the bottle. Switched to an oversized wine glass after the first of many pours. Do yourself a favor and use a wine glass with this one. $12.00 at my bottleshop.

A: The head from a gentle first pour produces 4 fingers of billowing, puffy, and eggshell colored foam. Endless bubbles are probably only one source for the incredible retention that this beer displays. When it decides to recede, the head pulls itself away from the edges of the pint glass, leaving a domed cap and clumps of sea foam lace. One of the most impressive heads that I've come across. The body is between light and medium in saturation, mango orange in hue and 95% clear. On the last pour however, the body turns completely hazy & nearly opaque as the yeast sediment is suspended in solution.

S: Above average malt content: healthy cereal, caramel and grain, all toasted. Keeping the malts at bay, is a heavy hand of American hops, flaunting strong piney and tropical fruit aromas. Heavily yeasty, with a predominant leafy aroma and a light mustiness.

T & M: Tongue scathing hops on the front end of the palate, with soothing sweet maltiness mid to back end. Moderate sweetness offsets the bitterness, which I can only assume would have been much higher with lower malt levels. Minerally texture with fine fizzy, super lively and tongue tingling carbonation. Saliva seems to evacuate the mouth on the extremely dry finish.

D: YuleSmith Summer has confirmed my immediate opinion of AleSmith after trying their IPA: As far as appearance and mouthfeel are concerned, this brewery has mastered the art of bottle conditioning India Pale Ales.

Overall a good DIPA based on aroma and flavor, but an excellent DIPA based on other ratable categories. Still, not quite worth the $12 price tag in my opinion. I would visit again and again, however, if I could find it priced in the $8-$9 range, which is probably closer to what most people pay.

09-03-2010 17:13:40 | More by FeDUBBELFIST