AleSmith Nut Brown Ale - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Nut Brown AleAleSmith Nut Brown Ale

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

Formerly known as Nautical Nut Brown Ale.

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-08-2003)

2.05/5  rDev -48.5%

A harbinger: I am not a big fan of Brown Ales.

Enjoyed on 06.26.09 from the tap, on recommendation from our server at JJ Brewsky's in Camarillo, CA. Served in a 16oz pint glass (dubbed "large").

A: Dark'ish brown w/ a disappointing head (hardly any). For an English brown I suppose it might border on average.

S: Nuts. Chocolate. Malt. As expected. Ok, maybe a ton more malt than I expected.

T: Uneventful. Really. I talked it through with my girlfriend (who didn't have this brew, but is well-versed in the finer points of craft brewing), and I couldn't come up with any other points regarding its taste that weren't typical brown ale comments.

M: Smooth & heavier than most browns. I really didn't feel the bitterness as most other reviewers found.

D: I couldn't wait to order a different brew. Sorry Alesmith, I love SOOO many of your brews (Decadence (several yrs), Speedways, Grand Cru, Horny D, Old Numb, et al.), but you let me down here...

Oh well, the Wee Heavy in my fridge will be well enjoyed in the near future!

For the record, I am a devout Alesmith fan (Tod, keep it up, I blame the distro!), I love your work.

2.25/5  rDev -43.5%

2.75/5  rDev -30.9%

2.78/5  rDev -30.2%

A: A little paler than what I would call a prototypical brown ale, with some reddish hues. Nice tan head that sticks a bit.

S: bready, a little bit of choco/caramel maltiness.

T: Nothing stands out but there is a muddled concoction of bread, dark malt, light hop....

M: Fizzy, lively, watery

D: If you want the look of a brown ale without quite so much heft, and the nuttiness of a typical brown ale is not desired or needed, one could drink a bunch of these 4.8% beers. Keep them cold as once this one warms up it loses all of it's already thin appeal.

I find this beer to be vastly overrated. I think nut brown is referring to the color and not the taste - shame. It lacks the rich smoothness that i expect from a brown ale. It is not terrible - obviously a lot of you like it, based on reviews but I find it thin and watery and lacking inspiration.

For the record - I am not 100% certain that I understand what is meant by "average" here. For a brown ale is that Newcastle? Sam Smith? Downtown brown? or is this average in overall beers?

3.15/5  rDev -20.9%

22oz bottle. Brown color, decent head. Aroma is a bit of malt vinegar and malts. More malt vinegar in the flavor but this is what I usually get from nut brown ales, there is nothing wrong with this beer. In fact I might just have a fucked up palate. Overall this was just ok and while I am glad Alesmith came to CO I will be buying the IPA and extra pale and not this.

AleSmith Nut Brown Ale from AleSmith Brewing Company