AleSmith Nut Brown Ale - AleSmith Brewing Company

AleSmith Nut Brown AleAleSmith Nut Brown Ale

AleSmith Brewing Company visit their website

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-08-2003

Formerly known as Nautical Nut Brown Ale.
2.06/5  rDev -48.8%

A harbinger: I am not a big fan of Brown Ales.

Enjoyed on 06.26.09 from the tap, on recommendation from our server at JJ Brewsky's in Camarillo, CA. Served in a 16oz pint glass (dubbed "large").

A: Dark'ish brown w/ a disappointing head (hardly any). For an English brown I suppose it might border on average.

S: Nuts. Chocolate. Malt. As expected. Ok, maybe a ton more malt than I expected.

T: Uneventful. Really. I talked it through with my girlfriend (who didn't have this brew, but is well-versed in the finer points of craft brewing), and I couldn't come up with any other points regarding its taste that weren't typical brown ale comments.

M: Smooth & heavier than most browns. I really didn't feel the bitterness as most other reviewers found.

D: I couldn't wait to order a different brew. Sorry Alesmith, I love SOOO many of your brews (Decadence (several yrs), Speedways, Grand Cru, Horny D, Old Numb, et al.), but you let me down here...

Oh well, the Wee Heavy in my fridge will be well enjoyed in the near future!

For the record, I am a devout Alesmith fan (Tod, keep it up, I blame the distro!), I love your work.

2.81/5  rDev -30.1%

A: A little paler than what I would call a prototypical brown ale, with some reddish hues. Nice tan head that sticks a bit.

S: bready, a little bit of choco/caramel maltiness.

T: Nothing stands out but there is a muddled concoction of bread, dark malt, light hop....

M: Fizzy, lively, watery

D: If you want the look of a brown ale without quite so much heft, and the nuttiness of a typical brown ale is not desired or needed, one could drink a bunch of these 4.8% beers. Keep them cold as once this one warms up it loses all of it's already thin appeal.

I find this beer to be vastly overrated. I think nut brown is referring to the color and not the taste - shame. It lacks the rich smoothness that i expect from a brown ale. It is not terrible - obviously a lot of you like it, based on reviews but I find it thin and watery and lacking inspiration.

For the record - I am not 100% certain that I understand what is meant by "average" here. For a brown ale is that Newcastle? Sam Smith? Downtown brown? or is this average in overall beers?

3.16/5  rDev -21.4%

22oz bottle. Brown color, decent head. Aroma is a bit of malt vinegar and malts. More malt vinegar in the flavor but this is what I usually get from nut brown ales, there is nothing wrong with this beer. In fact I might just have a fucked up palate. Overall this was just ok and while I am glad Alesmith came to CO I will be buying the IPA and extra pale and not this.

3.37/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. This beer,although labeled as a brown ale, tastes closer to a porter. Probably the earthiest,smokiest and least sweet brown I've had to date. Small amount of sweet carmel,malt to start and finishes with a smoke or burnt steak kinda taste that lingers on the tongue.Color is a very dark brown that is still see-thru with a very slight amber hue in the light. Lacing very apparent. Flavor is very robust for only 5%. Low alcohol content is probably why the bottle describes the beer as "sessionable" I would agree with that, but only during cold weather months. If your a porter/stout person who doesn't like browns then this beer would probably be ok with you. Overall a quality beer.

3.37/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a dark brownish amber color with a taupe colored head. Nutty, earthy, chocolaty, and grassy aromas comprise the bouquet. The mouthfeel wasn't as full and creamy as the nose had led my palate to anticipate. It is a little thin and on the watery side. The flavor was even more of a disappointment. Some nuttiness, but nothing extraordinary. Some lactose and coffee acidity. Plus, this beer seems to drink more like a stout than a brown. Pretty unremarkable. Not a good effort by Alesmith.

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

Draught at Fathers Office. Dark brown with a medium beige head. Toasted bread, light roast, coffee, and light spicy hop aromas. The flavor has light toffee and sweet caramel with coffee and light burnt/roasted flavors and some dark chocolate. Medium-light body with overly fizzy carbonation. The flavor profile is spot on, but the malt could be a little more substantial and the carbonation was too high.

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Chestnut colored with an oatmeal colored head that rises up minimally and settles out quickly. Surprisingly clear. Low aroma of cocoa and dark malt, a little toasted.

Flavors of dark malt, cocoa, notes of molasses and licorice, slight metallic note. A raisin note lingers. Thin mouthfeel, a bit slick. Decent beer, but I expected more from this world class brewer.

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served on draught into a conical pint glass at the Yardhouse in Los Angeles, California. Reviewed from notes. Expectations were high given the brewery.

A: Pours a two finger head of fair cream, good thickness, and good retention. Colour is a dark nontransparent amber (NOT brown).

Sm: Strong nuts, cream, and chocolate. A mild strength aroma.

T: Heavy nuts, cream, and malts. Decently balanced, but merely average in build. It's pretty good, but nowhere near as complex as I'd expect from a brewery like Alesmith.

Mf: Smooth (with enough coarseness to bring out the flavour) and wet. Not too thick nor too thin.

Dr: Drinkable but underwhelming - especially for the brewery. I wouldn't get it again if other Alesmith beers were available. Brown ale fans will be satisfied.

3.41/5  rDev -15.2%

A bottle from Let's Pour. Pours dark brown with large white head (admittedly overaggressive pour). Nutty malty smell, bit of darker fruits, but nothing to call home about...hoping the flavor offers more as there isn't a whole lot going on here. Nice chocolatey and nutty flavor. Very light and easy drinking, with a smoothness that creates some thickness. Ok brown ale, but would have liked a tad more bold flavor and aroma. They are there, but a bit light.

3.47/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I could have sworn this was a porter. lots of burnt smell. coffee. dark brown appearance yet light on the palate. I didn't encounter the nuttiness I desired with this style. It was there but hidden deep in the brew. I hate to compare but the samuel smith variety stomps all over this in my opinion as it shares the nuttiness and has a high drinkability along with refreshing. The alesmith brewery is outstanding and this beer is recomended as it stretches the edge of a style. I liked the fluid body as it easily slid down to paydirt. I was so sure it was a porter I had the barkeep pour me a shot glass of it while I watched and sampled it....Yep..it was the right brew. Still good.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

A - Poured a brown color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of toasted malt with nutty scents

T - Follows the nose toasted malt with a nutty flavor

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - Overall its a good everyday sort of brown ale nothing mind blowing just a good beer thats worth picking up sometime to try

3.51/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A good solid tan head, three fingers deep with lots of clump and valley like retention. Body color is a very nice dark indian red, quite opaque, can't see a thing at all. Quite impressive.

Bouquet on this brew seems to be light toasty malts, a hint of tannic nutty character. Some hazelnut creeps in, kind of small and subtle.

Palate hits with a somewhat thick and creamy character, however flavor seems to be following. Mid palate has some strangely clean simple grain aromas, with the toast character missing from the nose. A mild sourness (nothing crazy mind you) maybe even just a hint acrid on the finish too.

Overall, not that memorable for a brown ale unfortunately.

3.52/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle into a goblet.

A: Pours a dark chestnut color. There isn't much head, sadly - the off-white collar is less than a finger high, and even then, doesn't have good retention. Almost no lacing is left on the glass.

S: I'm getting a lot of dry chocolate and brown sugar at first. Nutty notes appear after a while, along with a touch of dark fruits. Admittedly, the aroma is rather simple, but it's fine enough.

T: I'm getting a subtle note of espresso to start - nice. I'm also picking up a bit of dry, powdery chocolate as well. The finish is fairly mineral-y, caramely, and even hoppy in spurts, yet not overdone. Pretty much a typical brown ale, but with a bit more balance and definition than what's typical.

M: Yeah, this is dry. While it's not creamy, it's fairly light on the tongue. There's *just* enough sweetness to give it a rich flavor (for brown ale standards, that is ;)), though. Carbonation is about average.

O: Brown ales are never going to score high with me, but this is one of the better ones I've had. It also pairs really well with beef. Like, REALLY well. I'd buy it again if it were readily available in my region - alas, it's not.

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%

Went to AleSmith today to fill my growler. Tasted a few and the Nautical was my last (maybe could have weakened my palate a bit). I wasn't too impressed with the brown and usually, browns I dig. Nice color, smelled better than tasted. It did have some good nutty flavors and a mild hoppy finish, but that is what AleSmith strives for. Was hoping that it tasted as good as my olfactory sensed, but fell a little short. I would have it again but not in the top ranks of browns I love.

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

854th Review on BA
Draft to Taster

@Boho Gastropub, Hollywood, CA

App- A melding of a good deep brown with a good amount of ruby/garnet edges. A 1-1/2 finger head recedes slowly with a very good amount of slide and cling.

Smell- A pretty good full nose on this one. A little roast with a little coffee and a little chocolate. Could've been a bit more full on the nose.

Taste- The taste drops from the nose a little with a unique prickly/bubbly roast and almond, pecan mix of flavors. It was good but just a tad different.

Mouth- A little bit of a medium body with a lighter medium carbonation level. A little bit of small roast flavors remain.

Drink- It wasn't the best Brown Ale but still pretty good. A bit watery and just a bit small. I'd like to give this another go with a full pint to see how it changes with temp.

3.56/5  rDev -11.4%

On tap at O'Briens in San Diego.

Pours a clear brownish orange, coppery in the light, thin tan head forms, settles to a ring, some chunks of lace on the glass. Smell is quite nutty and toasty, some caramel, biscuits, grain, light floral, not much going on, kind of subdued. Taste is similar, nuts and toast, light fruits, biscuits and bread, caramel, bit of floral hopping, not much again. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation, smooth and easy enough to drink but not for exciting, even for a nut brown. Try it if you see it, but it didn't do much for me.

3.57/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Slightly hazy nut brown colour with a creamy, light tan head. Poor head retention.

Slightly nutty, slightly oxidised aroma. Touches of malt and sweetness. Okay.

Dry and slightly fruity. The malt is a touch nutty and a little roasty too. Somewhat earthy. Okay.

Medium-light body with moderately-high carbonation. Fine.

A decent beer but it is a little dry and fizzy for the style. I don't mind it.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Caught Alesmith's Nut Brown on-tap at O'Brien's down in San Diego. It had a nice brown look and a solid head. Nothing in the scent department jumped out at me, but it had a nice nutty but not overwhelming taste. It's got a pretty long lingering aftertaste though that didn't agree with me. I could down a few of these in a sitting if there was nothing else I wanted to try.

3.59/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle, 2014 vintage, served in a wine glass.

Pours with a very durable tan head that leaves excetional lacing. The body is very dark red-brown, clear but almost opaque.

Aroma: the weak point. Nutty malts with some faint off odors.

Flavor: Moderate strength nutty flavor with dark grains and a impression of dark bread. Good, lingering malty aftertaste.

O: a decent nut brown but the weakest offering I've had from this fine brewery.

3.6/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed July 26th, 2012 in a standard pint glass.

Beer pours a very clear deep cola color. Light gets through easily, resulting in garnet highlights. A moderate pour generates a rocky, off-white two-finger head: think root beer float. Sticky and long-lasting.

This is an aromatic beer; smoky, roasty notes mingle with a rich, bitter nutty smell. Outstanding.

Flavor is fairly mild: a little disappointing after the good looks and wonderful aroma. Restrained toffee gives way to over-roast bitterness on the finish. Carbonation seems to interfere slightly with tasting the malt. Not really bold or complex, but flawless.

Beer has a nice, creamy texture and perhaps too-strong carbonation prickle. Goes down smooth and easy.

Wanted to love this one, but I guess my memory was kind. I have had much better brown ales, though it's important to stress that this one is not at all bad, just a well-done example that sticks to the middle of the road.

3.6/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Alesmith.

A: pours a nice nutty brown hue with a brownish white head. okay retention with no lace.

S: Nice roasted malt aromas with hints of chocolate and nuts.

T: Nutty caramel goodness with a touch of floral hops. Nice roasted quality adds enjoyment.

M: Medium in body, smooth.

D: Not my favorite style but pretty tasty.

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

On tap after the BA Speedway stout handouts.

A: Garnett amberish brown in color with a minor tan head.

S: Light caramel, touch of nuttyness, bready yeast and a little bit of bakers chocolate.

T: Fresh dough, caramel malts, chocolate notes, minor touch of bitterness. Not as much nutty flavors as I would have expected.

M: Smooth, creamy.

D: Good. I would have liked to get a growler of this for further review...but when presented with all the other options at Alesmith I couldn't bring myself to get the brown.

3.69/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pub-style pint glass

Deep mahogany with a short off-white head. Excellent clarity with lively carbonation.

Cocoa, chestnut, caramel, and earth.

Toasted chestnut, cocoa, peanut, and Cola. Caramel and earth with a medium roastiness. Slight leafy hop presence.

Medium-light bodied, smooth, and semi-dry with a light bitterness.

Nutty, light, and refreshing. An English Brown to style.

3.7/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Originally reviewed November 26, 2006. On tap at AleSmith. Liquour-like Frangelico-type aroma, with wafting alcohol notes on a tone of nutty toast and malt. Dry. Heavy brown pour, with a nice creamy froth. A light and refreshing taste, however bold with quality hazlenut and tawny pale fruits to combine for a nice quality in a brown ale. Touches of saltiness in the nutty character. Both drinkable and full of distinction, yet having nice balance. Something that makes this top considering the quality of the body.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

On tap at O'Brien's

A: Clear dark brown color with ruby tinges and a thin tan head.

S: Ground almonds/almond meal, caramel, roasted malt and some freshly ground coffee as it warms.

T: Lots of nutty malts, some day old coffee grounds, hazelnut and roasted malt. Something about the taste told me this beer was old. It seemed faded and I remember liking it a lot more the last time I tried it. I'll have to revisit this one.

AleSmith Nut Brown Ale from AleSmith Brewing Company