Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Wernesgruner - Wernesgrüner Brauerei AG

Wernesgrüner Brauerei AG visit their website

German Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: SaunaKing on 02-19-2003

2.83/5  rDev -16%

Clear golden yellow color with a large bleach white head that hangs around for a few minutes. Lacing dances down the glass.

Malty pils smell with very little hop balance. There's a moldy grass/hay smell that is almost like bad grains? There are some slight off flavors in the nose that make me want to leave the pint glass on the table for someone else to drink.

Thin malt backbone followed by a weak somewhat unpleasant hoppiness.

Thin beer that's easy enough to pound but not one I'll find again.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

Classic beer from Saxony, rather hoppy, with pleasant bitterness and a bit tart aftertaste. Well-pronounced malts, a small yeasty note. Pale, sometimes greenish color. Very appetizing aroma. Excellent aperitif but not a thirst-quencher - after a second pint your tongue feels too bitter. Recommended!

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

12 oz. brown bottle with best before date of 1-17-07.

Palest yellow with a large pure white froth and bubbles streaming up from the bottom of the glass. Head has a nice rockiness and staying power - lace and all!

Metallic note was troubling in the nose, but was only present at the first whiff. Malt is subdued but the hops are there with a strong grassy note. Grape like fruitiness shows in time.

Light bodied with plentiful carbonation. Solid malt center has notes of white grapes, contrasted by grassy noble hops with a touch of lemon in the finish. Long biscuity finish.

I am completely impressed by this beer. An astonishing value with a ton of character for the price.

2.43/5  rDev -27.9%

Can: Poured a light golden color pils with a small bubbly white head with minimal retention. Aroma of faint grassy malt is a bit deceiving. Taste is weaker then expected with some grassy/floral malt which were enjoyable but totally lack crispy hops which could have made this beer interesting. A bit deceiving since I made sure to pick up a can in order to ensure freshness which totally seem to be lacking here.

3.13/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottle has no date on it. Poured into a Pils glass. A very good egg shell white head sits on top of a pale straw yellow body. The head has good staying power leaving lace down the sides of the glass. A vast stream of bubbles race up to the top. Sweet malt with just a hint of floral hops in the nose. Sweet grainy malt predominately with barely a noticible hop bitterness. A very thin body that is rather bland. Almost no aftertaste and finishes very dry. If you are looking for a cheap beer this sure beats BMC and would be a good start for someone wanting to explore something different w/o going outside the lines of the big three.

3.49/5  rDev +3.6%

Lighter than most beers i've seen, this one pours out into my glass a bright, refractive gold. I was amazed by the lace sticking to the glass, even better than the Westmalle I consumed prior to this.

For some reason the nose of this beer reminds me of when I used to think that Beck's was the penultimate German beer. Harsh, grassy hops above a slightly plastic grain characteristic. Suggestions of buttered corn. I suspect the German purity law is in effect here but no way to know.

The taste hits with an initial formless goo of buttery sweetness which just barely gets balanced by a sharp, significant hop taste. Long dry finish which gets more refreshing by the sip. Everyone enjoyed my comparison of this to 'non-bad Heineken'.

Slightly slick mouthfeel reinforces the sweetness which teeters on the edge of cloying. Drying hops make it work and give great burps. Hella better than BMC...and will continue to get my $4.49 when I need a cheap, relatively satisfying beer.

2.92/5  rDev -13.4%

FROTHY HEAD! That's pretty much the highlight of this one. The smell was semi-skunk, mixed with malt and hops, just like any Euro lager. I've had better Pilsners though. The taste was similar to the smell, but not so much on the skunk. It was mostly a very malty taste, with a hop finish, as well as some very faint citrus fruits. Overall a disappointment. Just chalk it up as another beer review.

I bought this more out of curiousity than anything else, figured I would give yet another German Pils a try. Overall I would say that I was mildly impressed. Most German beers are impressive this way for the simple fact that they are simple, clean and get right to the point. This is no exception. Put simply it looks, smells and tastes good. like most Pilseners. Mouthfeel is typical and drinkability is good. This is a nice refreshing beer to be enjoyed pretty well any time.

3.42/5  rDev +1.5%

Looks like this brew is getting lots of Can sales in Canada, based on prior reviews.

My bottles come from that Beer Mecca, Aldi's supermarkets, at $4.49 US a six pack. Gotta try it.

The package looks nice, as does the carrier- although the wrapper allows bottles to fall out in the trunk of my car. The beer itself, pale color, quite clear with a highly charged head.

No skunk- always my first concern in a Pilsner. the brown bottle was a good call. Some delicate floral notes.

Body is balanced, refreshing, at least no adjunct sweetness apparent.

Finish offers a hint of hops. This is a well buit brew at a good value. I'll pick it up with Aldi's stock ups and satisfy many drinkers without spending a fortune.

Date code L236 seems to tell me it was bottled in Sep05 and I got it mid-November. Not bad.

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a clear gold with a rocky white head and lots of lace patches. The light aroma is evenly malt and spicey noble hops. The taste is hoppier than most German Pilsners. lots of fresh grass clippings and sea air, with a nice balancing bready malt. The mouthfeel is light and rather high in carbonation. The finish is richly hoppy and longish.

This is an unexpectedly taster Pilsner. Ill try it again for sure.

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It is Friday night and I just got home from work. Time to unwind with some Charlie Parker and a new, untried beer.

Lots have been said about this beer (and many others) by people with more finely-tuned senses than I possess. I will simply add that I enjoyed my drink (being the end of the week might have had an influence) and it satisfied my thirst and my personal requirements for a beer.

Good stuff.

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear straw with a white and frothy head which rose tall and fell slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was crisp with a light aroma hop which was slightly spicy and just every so slightly grassy. The aroma intensified as the beer warmed and contained a very slight sweetness.

The flavor was crisp and dry with a substantial bittering component and a hop flavor that was lightly spicy and slightly grassy. The malt flavor was low but present and complemented the hop presence.

The finish was dry with a lasting hop bittering into the aftertaste. The body was just below medium. A nice pils, nothing outstanding, but a good solid pils. For the price paid, this one should be a staple.

12 ounce bottle. $4.49 a six at Aldi. Freshness dating was in code L1855.

3.67/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: It got a quite pale straw colour for a beer and not too much head. At least, you don't spill half of your pint before you can drink it.

Smell: The aroma is very fruity.

Taste: This beer is very hoppy. Lots of rich fruity flavours with a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: It depends. Sometime it was rich and creamy, sometimes the carbonation was burning my tongue (typical of a cheaper beer). Instable mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Usually, Pils is not really my favorite style, but this one is not that bad (especially for its price - cheaper than domestic beers). For someone on a budget, it worths a try.

3.87/5  rDev +14.8%

Aldi’s is the grocery store where the poor people go and even though I’m poor it’s got too much of a stigma attached to it for me ever stop there. It’s filled with flies, even in the winter, and it always smells like rotting tomatoes mixed with the earthen body odor of a child in early puberty or a full-grown Bosnian man with an open shirt.

I realized yesterday afternoon that I thought I was better than Aldi’s—despite my penury and shoddy appearance I keep up some semblance of middle classness (such as my affinity for expensive cheese and my lack of a Git-R-Done T-shirt or tattoo) and have always felt that Aldi’s was somehow beneath me. That’s where the immigrants shop. People who have actually at one point in their lives been denied gas station service because of their lack of shoes. It says right on the door that you need to wear them.

The road was packed with freshman eager to drive two hours home and tell mommy and daddy how school went and break the bad news to Suzy Creamcheese down the block that I know we said we’d love each other forever but I met some skank last week and, well… we can still be friends. I was in the turning lane and a young man in old Subaru didn’t check his blind spot and nearly merged into me. I laid on the horn and he skidded back into his lane, which was by that time filled with another freshman. It was loud and frightening and I somehow found myself in the Aldi’s parking lot afterwards, in need of alcohol. I thought about class and status and Velben and got angry at myself for falling into such a trap and marched boldly inside the store.

And boy was I in luck! Turns out that Aldi’s has been selling beer and wine for over a year and I was too good to notice. And what’s this? It’s beer I’d never heard of, and at such cheap prices even if it was crap it would be worth a try. I bought a sixer of a German Pils called Wernesgruner.

Nice bottle and a very nice head but an unfortunate dull white color like Bud. Decent, still. (Points added later due to great lacing and a head that refuses to die).

Heavy malts and rich fruity esters. Like Bitburger, more than anything. Rich and very nice.

A rush of harsh malt followed by organic pilsner grain that finishes on a decent node of smooth euro pils grain. A wonderful bitter grain aftertaste, too.

I gotta admit, when I saw this on sale for 3.49 a sixer at Aldi's, I only bought it for novelty. I am surprised that it's decent, let alone good!

3.62/5  rDev +7.4%

Canned sample. Light gold in colour with lots of carbonation. Fairly rich malty aroma from this one with some milder grassy hop notes. Very crisp mouthfeel, with flavor notes of light malt, clean grassy hops, and a very slight touch of citrus. Very satisfying indeed. A good example of the classic German pilsner style.

2.7/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear golden yellow, big fluffy white head, decent lacing. Smell is sweet, kind of a grainy malt smell, honey, little bit of discernible hops. Taste is very sweet, not very pleasant, it tastes almost skunked except its in a can. Honey sweetness, almost cloying, no hops to be found. Smooth carbonation, light mouthfeel, and not pleasant.

3.19/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours a golden yellow color with a small sized white head. It doesn't seem to have much carbonation, little to no fizziness. The smell is of nice sweet hops. It really doesnt have that skunky bitter smell that I notice in a lot of German pilsners. The taste is very subtle at first, almost like a light beer. There is a hop bitterness midway through, and the beer finishes with bready tastes. The mouthfeel is not bad for the style of beer, and it goes down pretty well. Overall, its not a bad beer, but it seems to lack any outstanding or unique qualities.

3.89/5  rDev +15.4%

500ml euro-can (import). Put a pale straw colored lager in my Pilsner flute....moderate head but good lacing on the glass sides. Moderate carbonation.

This German Pils has a good/different aroma...instead of the expected Saaz floral bouquet we get a deep blast of herbal-musty German hop varieties over a sweet bready undertone...very nice.

As a Pils hound my palate is over worked with the expected Bohemian/Czech profile pils... I’m beginning to be more partial to the Northern German Pilsners...this one did not disappoint....good biscuity malt spine balanced with the marvelous blend of herbal German hop varieties one would expect in a rich Marzen...I like the mix...this is a very good, and well made, Pilsner...fresh refreshing slightly dry but with enormous taste.

3.96/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up in a Vladivostok supermarket, this dark green can has a gold label a branch of hops above the name. Purity law applies, of course. Best before the end of March 2005, I opened it on 4/7/05. Oops.

Pours a classic clear gold under a two finger white head with lovely contour, great retention and a nice network of lace down the glass. Yup, this is what a Pils should look like. The nose is very malty, smooth but lacking any hop spice to balance. The mouth is medium carbonated and slightly sticky, although light in body. Good smooth bready malt taste with a decent hop bitterness in the background. The hops are floral in nature, not at all skunky. The finish is more malt sweet than hops bitter, while the aftertaste maintains a bit of both. Nice, solid if unspectacular product.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Now packaged in handsome brown glass bottle. I echo Buckeye's presentation comments which in tandom with a most persistent meringue-like head (which forced me to drink off about 1 or 2 inches before I could reach this slightly turbid pale yellow Pils) waranted the high initial score above.
A hoppy aroma with some yeasty bread undertones.

Not a great taste but certainly much better than expected providing a light body (Pils style) I may be ranking it a little too low. Taste little sweet and bready malt flavored. Some hop taste lingers.

About 2 tablespoons of thick head sat at the bottom on the Pils glass which required 2 rinsings to clear away!

Its not going to be a problem splitting this six pack

3.95/5  rDev +17.2%

Wernesgrüner, “die Pils Legende” pours a lovely light amber from a 12oz brown glass bottle. Head went to about four fingers in my 22oz beer glass before disappating to a well defined ring, light foam cap, and beer glass walls that are well laced.

Nose is a rustic German toasted malt, no hops no alcohol just a wonderful German toasted malt. Palate is a nice toasted barley malt with bittering hops, a good balance between the two, I would say.

A good German Pils this Wernesgrüner, “die Pils Legende” and at Aldi, check it out!

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I got this sample from my dad. He purchased it Aldis for $4.99 per sixer.

Green 11.2 oz bottle with a kind of neat label. I forgot to check for freshness dating.

The beer pours a nice light, bright yellow. Crystal clear with a dense head. Decent lacing.

The smell is of grain, pepper and some floral scents. No skunk aroma at all.

The taste is slightly sweet with a decent hop counter punch. The hops add a nice spicy note. The beer seems well balanced. No off or adjunct tastes.

The carbonation is sprightly which adds to the slighlty creamy mouthfeel. Drinkabity is good. This would be a very easy drinking session beer if you like this style.

The beer is easy to match with food (except something really spicy). This is not a bad beer at all and I will consider keeping a six pack on hand. An enjoyable no-brainer!

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

never had it and it was $3.99 a 6er. why not? pours out a light golden, vibrant carbonation and a nice fluffy white head. smells of lightly sweet malt and grains with some nice hops, maybe a little straw? flavorwise...alot like the nose. lightly sweet, raw tasting...nice spicy hops...tingly bubbles in the mouth, crisp, maybe a touch thin but still very refreshing. i like this stuff. damn refreshing and at that price, one hell of a bargain. im hyped.

3.65/5  rDev +8.3%

Pale yellowish amber with abundant, though lazily rising, bubbles. The bright white head has some substance to it and looks good during its slow motion collapse. Broken sheet of thin, soapy lace end up on the glass. A good look overall.

The nose is pils hoppy with a bit more depth than is usual. It's spicy and floral and maybe even a trifle citrus fruity. I doubt that I will ever love this style or will ever like noble hops as much as their American counterparts, but the aroma emanating from my glass is well above average.

No real surprises on the palate. There's a wee nudge of sweetness at the start, followed by a mildly biting hoppiness and notes of lime and sweet hay. I don't know why I taste lime more than lemon, I just do. Clean, dry finish. Although the beer is a shade more complex than most pilseners, it doesn't have that 'certain something' that would make me love it. The body is light and the mouthfeel is lively.

Wernesgruner doesn't make me feel like shouting the chorus from "Deutschland Uber Alles" from the rooftops, but it is a drinkable pilsener that was enjoyable while it lasted. I doubt that I'll seek it out again, but then very few beers of this style are accorded that honor.

4.3/5  rDev +27.6%

poured from brown 12 oz. bottle.
comes out a nice straw gold color with great clarity and a small fluffy head that retains pretty well. smells of musty saaz or hallertau hops. very very earthy aroma. taste is very light with good hoppiness....very similar to czech pilsners like urquell. very little body, but the hops make this beer extremely drinkable. this is a very nice pils, imho. i could drink gallons of the stuff.

Wernesgruner from Wernesgrüner Brauerei AG