2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Allagash Dubbel Ale - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Dubbel AleAllagash Dubbel Ale

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Allagash Dubbel boasts a deep red color and a complex malty taste. The finish is dry with subtle hints of chocolate and nuts. The yeast asserts itself by lending a classic Belgian fruitiness.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Dubbel Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,246 | Reviews: 728 | Show All Ratings:
grannaniwa

1.78/5  rDev -53.2%

Pours nice and brown with a creamy-looking head. Nose has a nice foundation of yeasty smells, but gets ruined (for me) by a sharp burnt rubber aroma mixed with some cooked corn.

Cooked corn overtones spoil most of the taste for me as well. Aftertaste of rubber. I feel like I am exhaling rubber fumes after I swallow. Either this is a bad bottle, or this just has a terrible mismatch of flavors for me. I will have to try this again at some point in the future.

Overall: D, I cannot finish the 12 oz bottle

02-19-2012 02:08:09 | More by grannaniwa
shbobdb

Indiana

1.85/5  rDev -51.3%

The beer looks good, I'll give it that. A deep tawny brown with a nice fluffy head that quickly collapses.

After that it is all downhill. What little malt makes its presence known is pleasant enough, but the overpowering carbonation makes this beer feel like a soda-pop. Couple that with the lack of balancing hops and the wild, fruity yeast flavours, and the beer is most unpleasant.
I'm not sure what it is about the yeast that is sorely misplaced, perhaps it is the lemon zest mixing with the rich caramel, or the tang of soured and rotten kumquats. Kumquat, that is actually a good description for this beer. Sweet, yet sour with a good deal of citrus mixed in. Overcarbonate and serve.

I liked Chimay red. I did not like this. I was barely able to finish a pint of it.

03-10-2006 01:09:19 | More by shbobdb
HossMcGraw

1.93/5  rDev -49.2%

I'm quite surprised this brew is rated as highly as it is on this site. The appearance is really nice. That's about the only good thing I can say about it. I'm hoping I got a bad batch or something, but I'm afraid I didn't. It smells offensive, like rotten fruit. The taste is like a weird malt, lemon juice, 7up, and vodka, along with more rotten plums. It's very bitter in an unpleasant way. The mouthfeel is nice, but doesn't really do much good when the taste is this bad. I'm struggling to finish the glass.

10-20-2003 19:25:04 | More by HossMcGraw
jim102864

Connecticut

2.05/5  rDev -46.1%

Poured into my Duvel tulip glass with a one finger, creamy head. Nice lace webbed the glass.

Nose was mild, which is always a warning sign when it comes to Belgians since that usually means deep sadness when it comes to taste. This doctrine held true again and I was left crying in my beer (sorry).

As I said, taste is what matters and this one left me feeling flat. It was so very mild in flavor that there was simply nothing going on here. No candi sugar? No dark fruit? No maltiness? Molasses? Get the paddles 'cause this one has no pulse.

The mouthfeel followed suit with the rest of the experience. Thin. Lifeless. Very disappointing.

As to drinkability I can only ask one question: I spent how much for this??!! These guys sell this stuff in four packs and command a princely sum but they're insulting the style with their limp effort. Won't revisit this one unless it's offered free. Otherwise, it's time for Allagash to give this brew the dirt nap.

12-20-2007 16:36:50 | More by jim102864
meadowstream

2.15/5  rDev -43.4%

I really like dubbels and wanted to try this Allagash double to see what their interpretation of the style is. Maybe this is just a bad bottle - possible, of course - but this is the worst commercial dubbel that I have tried.

It is a 750 ml corked bottle. The head is strong than one expects from a dubbel and the carbonation is good. The color is right off of the Chimay or Westmalle palette - perfect.

But, while packaging and appearance are really nice, the beer has a nasty flavor - more malty that a dubbel should be, hoppier than it should be, and it has a nasty metallic aftertaste. The hop flavor has little of what you expect from a dubbel - it lacks the combination of noble and earthy notes.

This is drinkable, but only barely.

02-19-2011 22:50:09 | More by meadowstream
phisig137

2.25/5  rDev -40.8%

Poured from a corked 750 into a tulip, this beer shows a dark brown mahogany color, with a nice lasting head. Unfortunatley, it's downhill from here.

The aroma leaves a lot to be desired, smeeling very faintly of sugars, and some kind of rotten raisins. Flavorwise it is much the same, tasting of funky raisins, wet cardboard, and an unpleasant dryness. It almost burns my tongue with the alcohol tingle, and is relatively bad. It's a damn shame too, considering how good Allagash's other offerings are, specifically the Odessey.

Allagash has much better beers out there, and there are also much better examples of an American version of a belgian double. The only saving grace of this beer IMO, is that it was only $5.50. It was drinkable for the price, and I managed to drink the whole bottle, but I don't think I'll ever be purchasing it again. Perhaps I just got a bad bottle...

02-10-2006 03:01:55 | More by phisig137
badbeer

Iowa

2.3/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured a muddy dark brown color with a white-ish head with good retention. Smell was spicey with a bit of clove, seemed different. Light taste of brown sugar and spice, and a little clove, just seemed bland. Light bodied, high carbonation. Really light and dry on the tongue, I was looking forward to trying this, just a little let down. I may try it again sometime to see if I was missing something, but I really didn't care for this.

09-17-2006 16:09:21 | More by badbeer
ZimZamZoom

West Virginia

2.3/5  rDev -39.5%

12 Oz bottle poured into a goblet. I see no date on the bottle.

This pours a murky brown color that lets a little red through when held up to a light. I got no head to speak of.

A thin malty aroma with a tiny hint of alcohol. Really nothing else there at all. In fact I had to go smell something else to make sure my nose was working. I'm surprised by the lack of aroma in this Dubbel.

Taste also has a thin maltiness to it with some spicy hops in the finish. Really nothing to write home about however. Ok I'm no expert but this really is not a good example of the style in my opinion.

Medium body with noticeable carbonation.

I guess this is drinkable but I will not be buying it again. Not a good effort from such a great brewery.

11-18-2006 20:48:41 | More by ZimZamZoom
TAMU99

Guam

2.4/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This one fell short by tasting like my homebrew...I'm trying, but am certainly no bier meister...yet.

A - hazy, fresh/unfiltered brown, thin white head leaves a marginal lace
S - very yeasty, hints of acetone
T - Very strong on the yeast and alcohol aftertaste. This (and my brews) have the problem of having this particular flavor that is sharp, pungent and while not unpleasant, tends to overpower everything else
M - ok
D - nah, wouldn't pick this one up again

02-03-2005 01:55:25 | More by TAMU99
bultrey

2.42/5  rDev -36.3%

What a strange beer. First off, what's with the twist-off cap? I couldn't get mine off for the life of me, so I resorted to the traditional method -- using my teeth.
Anyway, this pours a murky brown-amber color with minimal head and the slightest lacing. The first thing I thought of when I smelled it was a cigar dipped in some sort of chocolate liqueur. There are also undertones of fig, raisin and other dark fruits.
As for the taste, I find this drinks much more like a German-style dopplebock than a Belgian dubble, particularly the heavy cocoa accents. It doesn't quite have that banana-clove thing going either. There is an earthy, slight tobacco aftertaste, with decent hops bittering to round things out. This makes for a clean finish but not an incredibly mouthfilling or complex beer. Therefore, it would actually make as decent a session beer as a dubble probably could be.

Re-review 10-16
I was being too nice to this beer because I love so many of Allagash's other offerings. This stinks. It tastes like a liquid Tootsie roll. I actually poured most of this out, which is rare for me. I would be doing a disservice to BA's who might read this to give this anything higher than a 3.0.

11-30-2004 23:27:21 | More by bultrey
Blanco

2.42/5  rDev -36.3%

Poured a muddy looking reddish/brown color. Not very pleasant looking in terms of color. Head was a solid off-white with OK lacing. Smells of typical belgian ingredients and dark malts.

Taste is sort of a malt bomb, and is not very good. It's OK and I can finish it, but all I get is a ton of malt and not much else. Malt in and of itself isn't bad, but I was looking for some balance from spices or yeast and I got neither.

Mouthfeel is solid with a nice medium body with little mouth coating.

Drinkability is "meh." I'm not finding this nearly as good as other Allagash offerings and wouldn't have this one again.

10-02-2010 22:03:55 | More by Blanco
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

2.45/5  rDev -35.5%

I see the positive reviews, but this beer just did nothing whatsoever for me. In fact, I even kind of disliked it.

Not too much to say about the look or smell. It's dark amber, and smells sweet & very malty.

The taste was the big letdown. Just not much happening at all. Too sweetish, and surprisingly devoid of complexity. You take a sip, the taste quickly washes over your tongue, and just as quickly, the flavor is gone without a trace.

A disappointing, boring, and forgettable beer. I wont be having it again.

10-05-2005 00:11:51 | More by chOAKbarrell
medic25

Connecticut

2.48/5  rDev -34.7%

Served in a chalice; poured a nutty-brown color with very little head. Fairly unpleasant odor. Not sure how to best describe the flavor. Unfortunately the best word I can come up with is "fishy". Overpowering, unpleasant malt flavor, with a bitter, skunked aftertaste. I have so wanted to like Allagash beers (I love Belgians, and I live in New England- perfect combo!), but after trying this and the the summer ale, I've been very disappointed.

04-14-2005 02:41:44 | More by medic25
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

It just happened that my friend and I went to "Beer Heaven" and grabbed a 4-pack of this. Unaware, the actual brewmaster and owner of Allagash was standing right behind us and said "nice choice, thats my beer!" I thought the guy was blowing smoke up my ass, but he handed my friend his business card and thanked us for supporting him. So, needless to say, that was pretty cool. Now on the other hand, this beer is not so cool. I love allagash products and was shocked by this brew. The appearance isn't terrible. It was an opaque dark brown with a red glow in the light. The head was pretty small but held on for a little bit. The aroma was semi-sweet with malt and sugar hints. The taste was suprisingly off. It was beyond what I consider to be dry. My mouth immediately began to search for any remaining saliva to prevent total loss of all taste. The alcohol was very evident and came on strong along with the dryness. Now let me clarify, dryness is not always a bad factor, but this was just not a favorable presence. In order to finish it, I will have to struggle. Still have love for Allagash though!

12-05-2004 20:49:16 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
Running4beer

2.65/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a deep dark amber color with a medium off white head, slowly dwindles down to a nice lace. Aroma was that of grass, twigs and yeast. This had the taste of earth, twigs, yeast, chocolate malt, raisons or prunes really didn't like the taste very much as the yeasty taste was overwhelming IMO. I'm glad I only drank one, don't think I could have drank more than that.

08-06-2003 17:05:05 | More by Running4beer
Erdinger2003

Iowa

2.65/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Says Batch #56 on the front of the bottle.

The head is fairly dense and retentive with a very very sticky lacing. Color is dark brown to black. The smell is fruity and slightly sour with some clove, sticky caramel and some sour plum. It also has a woody smell to it. Taste is light and fast to leave the palate leaving you wondering what it tasted like. Hard to tell besides the help of the smell. The mouthfeel is slightly watery and smooth. Overall it doesn't hold a bold enough flavor for me to try again.

09-17-2006 05:41:15 | More by Erdinger2003
DrewS

2.7/5  rDev -28.9%

Bought a six of this upon a recommendation. It turned out to be less than I had anticipated. The head was weak with little complexity in the nose and had a cloudy, medium brown appearance. The body was weak with some hop bitterness and a strong, but dry yeast flavor which was really not appealing, plus some noticeable alcohol. Where is this sweetness that I had heard about? I was really dissappointed. Maybe I got ahold of a bad batch. Unfortunely, I will not be giving this one a second try.

04-18-2002 19:29:14 | More by DrewS
GRG1313

2.73/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours dark copper brown with a thick smoooth tan head. Nice appearance and very inviting.

Banana malt nose with light hints of spice. Again, inviting.

Then you taste it. A bit thin, watery mouthfeel. Short flavors lime acid citrus character/flavors. Medium acidic sour flavors. Short flavors; short balance; little character and a short lightly sour finish. Allagash has many better.

06-22-2009 01:30:15 | More by GRG1313
JackTheRipper

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

A: Cloudy ruddy~brown in color. No head. No lacing.

S: Nice earthy smell, malts are faint for the "seven different malts" used. Underneath everything is a neat molasses smell.

T: Sweet without much complexity. There is a nice taste of plums here. The thing that sticks in my craw is a nasty metallic aftertaste. Faint bitterness.

M: Nice body. CO2 is nicely done and the alcohol level feels lower than the stated ABV%.

D&N: I may have to use another review for this one, as it stands, this is a subpar beer that seems overhyped.

05-06-2005 11:02:13 | More by JackTheRipper
BigMike

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours a dark brown with small head. Some dark orange highlights.

Smells of grapes, figs and raisins and grass clippings.
Taste is pretty much the same as the smell only lighter.

A bit too much carbonation and too little flavor make this a not so enjoyable beer. This is not something a would seek out again.

05-05-2009 21:25:21 | More by BigMike
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

Hazy light brown with a thin lame head that does manage to last a bit. Smells sweet like candied caramel sugary frozen mixed berries. A touch of earth, a hint of nut, and a pinch of wood come into play too. Watery front that gets a little better as it warms. Coffee and toffee grow in the flavor aspect of things too. ABV is well hidden, this comes across as sweet and light, not strong. I am disappointed but utterly. This does not compare to any of the great or even good Belgians. Nice attempt but lacking body and complexity. I want more, more nose, more head, and definitely more body.

04-18-2006 02:03:05 | More by DaPeculierDane
ark57

2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

It is a lovely ruby-brown in color. The aroma smells of raisins and biscuit malt. The taste is almost a burnt bitterness and is slightly spicy. It should be sweeter and the burnt taste is a turn off on this particular style. Nor is it a terribly complex beer.

03-09-2004 13:50:35 | More by ark57
dbalsock

Vermont

2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

appearance: murky brown, quite similar to muddy stream water. when looked down at from above it looks a little better than through the side of the glass.

smell: brown sugar, molasses and some fruit... nothing that stands out as enticing, but nothing that turns me off.

taste: just like it smells: molasses with a fruitiness. kinda reminds me of flavored water, but more complex... not tasty and complex, just interesting and complex.

mouthfeel: i find this way too light on my palate. if it had more body i might find it better overall. there is a welcome sense of bitterness that helps interact with the sweet character of the taste, but it's kinda sharp.

drinkability: the sharpness is a bit too much for me, and combined with the taste i don't think i want to drink this again, let alone more than once in a sitting.

02-06-2006 16:20:56 | More by dbalsock
jpoder

2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

a: chestnut brown, with initial rocky head that dissipates

s: chocolate, caramel, roasted malt

t: not very much depth of flavor...very one-dimensional. not even much belgian character

m: thin...would expect a bigger mouthfeel

d: this one is drinkable...but not great per the style.

06-28-2010 13:40:47 | More by jpoder
DoubleJ

2.85/5  rDev -25%

After several hours of playing FIFA 10, it's time for a beer. And after a night of going with a spiced dubbel, I'm going with a classic American dubbel. 12 ounce bottle, on to the beer:

Like many beers I pour, it looks good. Dark carmel brown color, creamy looking, with a bone white head on top that leaves some good spots of lacing. Odd husky chocolate raisin aroma. More husky dark malted notes in the aroma. As time progresses, the huskiness is slightly smoothened out.

There's hardly any yeast presence in its taste. It's all about the malt, but the malt is haywire. Chocolate malt comes out first. A little caramel, and then out comes some rough grainy flavors, making this beer distracting at times. Dry astringent malty flavors stick to the tongue. The texture is fine with a medium feel and tiny bubbles that buzz up the tongue, but the aftertaste lingers with husky malt that not entirely pleasant.

In the overall picture, it's a decent beer. Compared to other dubbels, this is towards the bottom of the latter of what I've tasted. Now deciding between Allagash Dubbel and last night's Siamese Twin...ummm, I'm not sure which I'd choose.

Reviewed on: 02-12-2010 07:38:32