Allagash Dubbel Ale - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Dubbel AleAllagash Dubbel Ale

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Allagash Dubbel boasts a deep red color and a complex malty taste. The finish is dry with subtle hints of chocolate and nuts. The yeast asserts itself by lending a classic Belgian fruitiness.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Dubbel Ale Alström Bros
bditty187

Nebraska

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

From notes…

Batch #29

Dark brown in hue, damn near black in the middle, there are shades of ruby around the edges. When backlit the red really shines, it is quite nice. The head was beige in color; the rocky, foamy mass was almost three fingers in height. Head retention was excellent, it sat on top of the liquid forever. A tight cap lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was sticky, widespread, and disorganized. On the whole the Dubbel is off to a good start, it is eye-candy and that is all I can ask for.

The nose is not as deep as I would want. I like the sharp green apples that poke through the fizzy alcohol notes, marshmallows, and roasted caramel and chocolate. This really isn’t the desired complexity. Sure there are some dark fruits (with an alcoholic twang) and some raisin toasted soaked in rum but I want more than just suggestions. I want full on aroma development. Sure, I can’t obviously tell this beer is Belgian and in a blind sniff I would call it a Dubbel. However to be great the potency needs to be high, the smells need to be articulate. It is inviting but unimpressive.

The palate is very good. It is on the same line as the nose. This is a blessing and a cruse. Like the nose, green apples blast through the warm alcohol, marshmallows, and semi-sweet chocolate. Modest pepper notes are found at the back, near the finish, sweet ending. I really wish there was more completely here. I do like how the alcohol is restrained and only modestly warm. The finish is lame. It needs a bigger punch, it is too sweet and “flat,” it is missing something, maybe a bit more hops. Something needs to breakup the monotony. Still I’m thinking this would be tasty with a cheese and fruit platter or some grilled game.

Medium-light in body, the mouthfeel is decent, the carbonation is fizzy and pleasantly mild. It is relaxing, maybe too much so for the style. I’d like more life, stronger effervescences is needed. I like a nice relaxing mouthfeel for a Barleywine, not a Dubbel. Workable.

This is a really good Dubbel but I can’t help feeling it is too clean and thus too Americanized. It is on par with New Belgium Abbey, maybe a tickle better. Both are sold at damn good prices. I got my 750ml for $4.50 in Milwaukee, WI. If I see this beer again I will buy it. Good stuff. Worth a try… but I enjoyed the Allagash Tripel Reserve much more.

04-22-2005 19:53:17 | More by bditty187
MuddyFeet

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

Slight head on the pour. Reddish brown in color. Kind of like a garnet when held to the light. The aroma was yeasty with dried fruit. The flavor was very rich malts. Notes of cherries and raisins came through in the flavor. The finish was fairly dry. The alcohol was at first not particularly noticeable, but as I went through the bottle the alcohol became more pronounced. A decent enough dubbel (still prefer tripels) for a night with a find beer, but not something I would pick over a tripel any day.

04-22-2005 01:51:17 | More by MuddyFeet
brewdlyhooked13

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance - reddish brown pour, large light mocha head that starts big and ends thin yet solid. Ropy lacing.

Aroma - dark malt and intense dark fruit sweetness like figs or plums mixed with molasses or licorice.

Taste - tastes yummy, the grain is almost like rye but softer. Not as sweet as I thought it might be. It's there but it's light and matches up well with the tasty and slightly muted malts. Great balance. Not very intense for a Belgian, delicious nonetheless.

Mouthfeel - slightly heavy and coating with lots of bubbles.

Drinkability - delicious. Not a show stopper but a fine sessional dubbel.

04-19-2005 20:05:46 | More by brewdlyhooked13
medic25

Connecticut

2.48/5  rDev -34.7%

Served in a chalice; poured a nutty-brown color with very little head. Fairly unpleasant odor. Not sure how to best describe the flavor. Unfortunately the best word I can come up with is "fishy". Overpowering, unpleasant malt flavor, with a bitter, skunked aftertaste. I have so wanted to like Allagash beers (I love Belgians, and I live in New England- perfect combo!), but after trying this and the the summer ale, I've been very disappointed.

04-14-2005 02:41:44 | More by medic25
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Bottle: Poured a deep brown/black color ale with a huge foamy head with excellent retention. Aroma is comprised of slightly roasted malt, light funky yeast and exotic spices. Warm alcohol taste with subtle cherry/figs with full body and light carbonation. Wow! I didn’t expect this to be this good. Probably better then most original Belgian Dubbel.

04-12-2005 17:33:48 | More by Phyl21ca
meathookjones

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Murky looking iced tea with a light tan fluffy cap. Scattered webs of light lacing. The nose had light fruitiness with a big sweetness. Caramel and sugars with a hint of alcohol in the back. This seems to become more of a sweet bomb as it warmed. Sugary sweetness upfront with some dark fruits coming in on the back of the taste. A light dusting of spices. A tad overly sweet in my opinion. Smooth mouthfeel with a lighter body. Drinkability would be helped by the sweetness being a bit more balanced but overall not bad. Solid brew but the sweetness becomes cloying towards the end.

04-05-2005 16:24:50 | More by meathookjones
WanderingFool

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

This serving of Allagash Dubbel Reserve was poured from a 12oz. bottle. The beer is a hazy dark mahogeny color with a fizzy light tan head on top. The foam quickly dissolves to a thin ring around the surface leaving only a few spots of lace on the glass.

A spicy aroma of allspice and clove with hints of sweet malt and carmelized sugar hovers over the beer. Each sip of this medium bodied brew is smooth on the palate and full of flavor. The taste begins with spices (clove, allspice) and moves toward more earthy notes of nuts and yeast. There's a caramel malt flavor in the background holding everything together. It finishes with a mild floral hop flavor.

I found this beer to have the typical blend of malts and spices for a Belgian style dubbel, but the flavor was well balanced and smooth. The spices and alcohol did not dominate as in other dubbel style beers I've had.

03-27-2005 20:12:13 | More by WanderingFool
Boilermaker88

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Batch #43.

Poured into my St Bernardus chalice, this American take on the Belgian dubbel had a dark mahogany color, lots of fine carbonation crawling up the walls of the glass, and a dense, creamy light tan head that remained intact to the final gulp. Quite visually appealing.
The nose was pretty complex with hearty, earthy malt notes. A moderate herbal aroma was noted as was a fairly prominant alcohol presence which kind of got in the way to the point of distraction, hence the 3.5 rating.
The taste of even more varied, the malt profile really dominating the landscape. The earthiness was very evident and a subtle peaty, smoky flavor seeped through, mixing well with the sweetness of candy sugar and, to a lesser degree, fruit such as raisins. A mild tartness like that a green grapes or banana briefly came through before a muffled herbal hoppiness and a light flush of alcohol presented itself in the finish. The feel was medium/full in body and creamy smooth, almost velvety.
Wow, this was pretty damn good, really easy to drink. One of the better American examples of this style and well worth picking up.

03-09-2005 03:21:08 | More by Boilermaker88
HogHill

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

This dubbel poured into my chalice with a minimal head which soon retreated to the rim of the glass. It appears brown with ruby red tones. Aroma is mostly dark fruit and a bit of molasses.

This Allagash tastes of darker malts with a rum-raisin flavor. I can't detect much hops. It feels medium bodied. At 7.6% there is not much of an alcohol presence taste wise. Very drinkable, I enjoyed this one even more as it warmed up a bit.

03-07-2005 22:55:53 | More by HogHill
TinusTime

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

12 oz stubbie bottle. This is not the abbey dubble of the 750. This pours a dark chestnut brown with a off white head. Aroma is of rich coffee and roasted malts. Taste is of Caramel and coffee.There is a hint of spice in the finish as well. No hops so to speak.. This seems more like a porter gone belgian than a dubble as the style says. Light carbonation. Drinkability is OK.. Once again not my style. Could not have more than one.. Please do not confuse this one with the 750. Different animal all together..

03-07-2005 06:00:48 | More by TinusTime
PorterLambic

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a slightly rich brown with a reddish tinge. Good head and retention. Smell is fruit (cherry & plum), malt, hops and dark chocolate. Taste is malt, hops, dark chocolate, fruit, a hint of spice and alcohol. Mouthfeel is full bodied, a bit rougher than expected, effervescent all over the mouth. Drinkability is good but noticeable ABV keeps the score down a bit.

03-01-2005 05:12:59 | More by PorterLambic
bruachan

District of Columbia

2.95/5  rDev -22.4%

nice reddish brown with minimal head that left some lacing. very sweet aroma. brown sugar and dark fruit

very thick on the palate and lightly carbonated. yeasty fruit and molasses, however i was dissapointed. not a nice aftertaste. despite the low carbonation i sensed the sort of bite i've tasted in selzer water. weird

after tasting curieux and FOUR i expected much better from allagash

02-24-2005 00:46:10 | More by bruachan
BitteBier

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a dark amber brown, topped with an immense light tan head that lingers quite a while and laces nicely. A potent smell punctuated by nose-punching malty and medicinal notes as well as yeast. Taste is only marginally less bold--eminently smooth with malts complemented by a wine-like, astringent taste. Enjoyed this with roast pork and potatoes, and they played pretty well together. Next time I'll have to try this one alone; it is worth revisiting.

02-22-2005 14:42:19 | More by BitteBier
BierManVA

4.78/5  rDev +25.8%

Wow!

Similar in aroma to an Ommegang, this dubbel hits you like a ton of bricks. Incredibly malty, you might think you are drinking a doppelbock...A few sips will tell you otherwise as you enjoy this sweet yet distinctly Belgiun dubbel. Hoppy aroma yet smooth...

The seven different malts in this lead you in several pleasant directions, chocolate, caramel, toffee, coffee....the list goes on. Incredible balance around this.

Amazing, pls try it!

John

02-16-2005 02:12:49 | More by BierManVA
granger10

Wisconsin

Batch #47

This offering pours a murky dark woody color with copper around the edges of the glass. Solid sized head with good retention.

Aroma is of sweet caramel, earthy notes, yeast, nutty, and slightly floral with a little sting in the end.

Taste brings me roasted acorns up front mixing with a slightly sugar note then dark fruity flavors of plums, raisins, and purple grape skins. Becomes more chocolately, at first its like cocoa but later its a bitter chocolate mixed a nutty flavor until the finish. Slight acidity underneath the malts and yeast. Finish is yeasty dry, slightly astringent, and lingering. I really like this yeast strain they are using here.

All the flavors are very subtle and go well but I'd almost like to see more vinous flavors and a mellowing together of the residual sugars, hops, and yeast. This is lively on the tongue.

Quite enjoyable and good complexity. I'm thinking that this is a rather fresh batch I got here and I could see this aging quite well for about 2 years. I wish there was some kind of dating code on here but I can't find one.

Many thanks to brewguru for the offering.

02-06-2005 22:26:08 | More by granger10
TAMU99

Guam

2.4/5  rDev -36.8%

This one fell short by tasting like my homebrew...I'm trying, but am certainly no bier meister...yet.

A - hazy, fresh/unfiltered brown, thin white head leaves a marginal lace
S - very yeasty, hints of acetone
T - Very strong on the yeast and alcohol aftertaste. This (and my brews) have the problem of having this particular flavor that is sharp, pungent and while not unpleasant, tends to overpower everything else
M - ok
D - nah, wouldn't pick this one up again

02-03-2005 01:55:25 | More by TAMU99
Padron4KM

Arizona

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Batch #36.
Pours an opaque dark brown.
The inch high tan head dissapates quickly, and leaves no lacing.

aroma is fruity and spicy.

Flavor is light, not very complex. slightly fruity, plums and raisin.

Finish is long and dry.

I wasn't particularly blown away by this sample.
I had high expectations, due to recomendations from friends, and was a bit let down. Not a bad beer, just didn't live up to the hype.
I will sample again and compare results.

01-23-2005 06:30:53 | More by Padron4KM
santoslhalper

4.18/5  rDev +10%

One of a few dubbel's I enjoyed this evening, and another great example. Allagash can nail the belgian styles like very few breweries in North America can. This is the third beer of theirs I've had and I must say I feel spoiled to have tried these. This beer is an absolute luxury, and one I will be getting much more of very soon.

01-22-2005 08:49:30 | More by santoslhalper
Citadel82

3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

750 Ml bottle bought at Spirits Unlimited in Red Bank.

Pours a deep chestnut brown with a creamy tan head that left streaks of thick tan lace as the beer was consumed.

Not as aromatic as I was hoping for. Some sweet malt, nominal hops and and a little fruity yeast scent.

The taste was sweet and malty, but not as rich as one would hope for in a Dubbel, more like an English Brown IMHO. Still good still well balanced and full bodied, but not rich and complex as I had hoped.

This is a drinkable brew which I will try again and soon. I hope i can find more complexity as in the other Allagash Reserve beers.

01-21-2005 02:50:13 | More by Citadel82
Billolick

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Large bottle, caged and corked. I cannot believe the low review numbers for this brew...it pours a dark, murky and mysterious shade of darker brown, head is tan, pillowy, then a 1/8 inch of foam, and it leaves very nice lacing with some sheets of lace as well. Nose is raisins, yeast, rum, alcohol, varnish,horse blanket. This is a smooth as silk, big, large, complex,tasty, buttery double, that is pure taste, refinement and pleasue on the tongue. Notes of rum soaked raisins, vanilla, cookie dough, spices, cininimon toast, yeeha this stuff is tasty. go get some, NOW.

01-15-2005 05:45:57 | More by Billolick
carln26

Missouri

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from the big bottle into a tulip glass this beer was deep brown with just a touch of ruby highlights. A thick, creamy tan head topped the glass and left clingy shafts of lace as the head settled back into the beer. The aroma has subtle roast malts, sweet malt aromas of figs, and ribbon candy, followed by just a hint of spice. The flavor delivers the sweet malt character first followed quickly by subtle hop fruitiness. The spice I caught on the nose is just barely there. A bit of tanginess shows on the finish. A good, rich mouth feel with just a bit of alcohol feel leads to a good drinkability

01-04-2005 23:36:26 | More by carln26
TastyTaste

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

I am starting to sense a pattern with these corked and cage bottles that I have been buying lately. They all have a delicious woody-earthy flavor. A dark brown body, with a sizable light tan head. An ok beer, if not overly flavorful. OK malty flavor with some muted hops. I bought this bottle, which was probably 2 years old, but it didn't have any ill effects on the beer.

12-19-2004 22:58:50 | More by TastyTaste
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

It just happened that my friend and I went to "Beer Heaven" and grabbed a 4-pack of this. Unaware, the actual brewmaster and owner of Allagash was standing right behind us and said "nice choice, thats my beer!" I thought the guy was blowing smoke up my ass, but he handed my friend his business card and thanked us for supporting him. So, needless to say, that was pretty cool. Now on the other hand, this beer is not so cool. I love allagash products and was shocked by this brew. The appearance isn't terrible. It was an opaque dark brown with a red glow in the light. The head was pretty small but held on for a little bit. The aroma was semi-sweet with malt and sugar hints. The taste was suprisingly off. It was beyond what I consider to be dry. My mouth immediately began to search for any remaining saliva to prevent total loss of all taste. The alcohol was very evident and came on strong along with the dryness. Now let me clarify, dryness is not always a bad factor, but this was just not a favorable presence. In order to finish it, I will have to struggle. Still have love for Allagash though!

12-05-2004 20:49:16 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
bultrey

2.42/5  rDev -36.3%

What a strange beer. First off, what's with the twist-off cap? I couldn't get mine off for the life of me, so I resorted to the traditional method -- using my teeth.
Anyway, this pours a murky brown-amber color with minimal head and the slightest lacing. The first thing I thought of when I smelled it was a cigar dipped in some sort of chocolate liqueur. There are also undertones of fig, raisin and other dark fruits.
As for the taste, I find this drinks much more like a German-style dopplebock than a Belgian dubble, particularly the heavy cocoa accents. It doesn't quite have that banana-clove thing going either. There is an earthy, slight tobacco aftertaste, with decent hops bittering to round things out. This makes for a clean finish but not an incredibly mouthfilling or complex beer. Therefore, it would actually make as decent a session beer as a dubble probably could be.

Re-review 10-16
I was being too nice to this beer because I love so many of Allagash's other offerings. This stinks. It tastes like a liquid Tootsie roll. I actually poured most of this out, which is rare for me. I would be doing a disservice to BA's who might read this to give this anything higher than a 3.0.

11-30-2004 23:27:21 | More by bultrey
scottum

Vermont

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Been sitting on this one for a while. Batch number thirty-one is listed on the label.

Pour out a wonderful deep brown with a huge off-white/tan headskie. Tastes sharp and floral with some lingering sweetness. A decent dubbel, but not up to snuff with the imports. Certainly worth checking out.

11-30-2004 00:31:49 | More by scottum