Allagash Dubbel Ale - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Dubbel AleAllagash Dubbel Ale

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Allagash Dubbel boasts a deep red color and a complex malty taste. The finish is dry with subtle hints of chocolate and nuts. The yeast asserts itself by lending a classic Belgian fruitiness.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Dubbel Ale Alström Bros
TinusTime

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

12 oz stubbie bottle. This is not the abbey dubble of the 750. This pours a dark chestnut brown with a off white head. Aroma is of rich coffee and roasted malts. Taste is of Caramel and coffee.There is a hint of spice in the finish as well. No hops so to speak.. This seems more like a porter gone belgian than a dubble as the style says. Light carbonation. Drinkability is OK.. Once again not my style. Could not have more than one.. Please do not confuse this one with the 750. Different animal all together..

03-07-2005 06:00:48 | More by TinusTime
PorterLambic

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a slightly rich brown with a reddish tinge. Good head and retention. Smell is fruit (cherry & plum), malt, hops and dark chocolate. Taste is malt, hops, dark chocolate, fruit, a hint of spice and alcohol. Mouthfeel is full bodied, a bit rougher than expected, effervescent all over the mouth. Drinkability is good but noticeable ABV keeps the score down a bit.

03-01-2005 05:12:59 | More by PorterLambic
bruachan

District of Columbia

2.95/5  rDev -22.4%

nice reddish brown with minimal head that left some lacing. very sweet aroma. brown sugar and dark fruit

very thick on the palate and lightly carbonated. yeasty fruit and molasses, however i was dissapointed. not a nice aftertaste. despite the low carbonation i sensed the sort of bite i've tasted in selzer water. weird

after tasting curieux and FOUR i expected much better from allagash

02-24-2005 00:46:10 | More by bruachan
BitteBier

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a dark amber brown, topped with an immense light tan head that lingers quite a while and laces nicely. A potent smell punctuated by nose-punching malty and medicinal notes as well as yeast. Taste is only marginally less bold--eminently smooth with malts complemented by a wine-like, astringent taste. Enjoyed this with roast pork and potatoes, and they played pretty well together. Next time I'll have to try this one alone; it is worth revisiting.

02-22-2005 14:42:19 | More by BitteBier
BierManVA

4.78/5  rDev +25.8%

Wow!

Similar in aroma to an Ommegang, this dubbel hits you like a ton of bricks. Incredibly malty, you might think you are drinking a doppelbock...A few sips will tell you otherwise as you enjoy this sweet yet distinctly Belgiun dubbel. Hoppy aroma yet smooth...

The seven different malts in this lead you in several pleasant directions, chocolate, caramel, toffee, coffee....the list goes on. Incredible balance around this.

Amazing, pls try it!

John

02-16-2005 02:12:49 | More by BierManVA
granger10

Wisconsin

Batch #47

This offering pours a murky dark woody color with copper around the edges of the glass. Solid sized head with good retention.

Aroma is of sweet caramel, earthy notes, yeast, nutty, and slightly floral with a little sting in the end.

Taste brings me roasted acorns up front mixing with a slightly sugar note then dark fruity flavors of plums, raisins, and purple grape skins. Becomes more chocolately, at first its like cocoa but later its a bitter chocolate mixed a nutty flavor until the finish. Slight acidity underneath the malts and yeast. Finish is yeasty dry, slightly astringent, and lingering. I really like this yeast strain they are using here.

All the flavors are very subtle and go well but I'd almost like to see more vinous flavors and a mellowing together of the residual sugars, hops, and yeast. This is lively on the tongue.

Quite enjoyable and good complexity. I'm thinking that this is a rather fresh batch I got here and I could see this aging quite well for about 2 years. I wish there was some kind of dating code on here but I can't find one.

Many thanks to brewguru for the offering.

02-06-2005 22:26:08 | More by granger10
TAMU99

Guam

2.4/5  rDev -36.8%

This one fell short by tasting like my homebrew...I'm trying, but am certainly no bier meister...yet.

A - hazy, fresh/unfiltered brown, thin white head leaves a marginal lace
S - very yeasty, hints of acetone
T - Very strong on the yeast and alcohol aftertaste. This (and my brews) have the problem of having this particular flavor that is sharp, pungent and while not unpleasant, tends to overpower everything else
M - ok
D - nah, wouldn't pick this one up again

02-03-2005 01:55:25 | More by TAMU99
Padron4KM

Arizona

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Batch #36.
Pours an opaque dark brown.
The inch high tan head dissapates quickly, and leaves no lacing.

aroma is fruity and spicy.

Flavor is light, not very complex. slightly fruity, plums and raisin.

Finish is long and dry.

I wasn't particularly blown away by this sample.
I had high expectations, due to recomendations from friends, and was a bit let down. Not a bad beer, just didn't live up to the hype.
I will sample again and compare results.

01-23-2005 06:30:53 | More by Padron4KM
santoslhalper

4.18/5  rDev +10%

One of a few dubbel's I enjoyed this evening, and another great example. Allagash can nail the belgian styles like very few breweries in North America can. This is the third beer of theirs I've had and I must say I feel spoiled to have tried these. This beer is an absolute luxury, and one I will be getting much more of very soon.

01-22-2005 08:49:30 | More by santoslhalper
Citadel82

3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

750 Ml bottle bought at Spirits Unlimited in Red Bank.

Pours a deep chestnut brown with a creamy tan head that left streaks of thick tan lace as the beer was consumed.

Not as aromatic as I was hoping for. Some sweet malt, nominal hops and and a little fruity yeast scent.

The taste was sweet and malty, but not as rich as one would hope for in a Dubbel, more like an English Brown IMHO. Still good still well balanced and full bodied, but not rich and complex as I had hoped.

This is a drinkable brew which I will try again and soon. I hope i can find more complexity as in the other Allagash Reserve beers.

01-21-2005 02:50:13 | More by Citadel82
Billolick

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Large bottle, caged and corked. I cannot believe the low review numbers for this brew...it pours a dark, murky and mysterious shade of darker brown, head is tan, pillowy, then a 1/8 inch of foam, and it leaves very nice lacing with some sheets of lace as well. Nose is raisins, yeast, rum, alcohol, varnish,horse blanket. This is a smooth as silk, big, large, complex,tasty, buttery double, that is pure taste, refinement and pleasue on the tongue. Notes of rum soaked raisins, vanilla, cookie dough, spices, cininimon toast, yeeha this stuff is tasty. go get some, NOW.

01-15-2005 05:45:57 | More by Billolick
carln26

Missouri

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from the big bottle into a tulip glass this beer was deep brown with just a touch of ruby highlights. A thick, creamy tan head topped the glass and left clingy shafts of lace as the head settled back into the beer. The aroma has subtle roast malts, sweet malt aromas of figs, and ribbon candy, followed by just a hint of spice. The flavor delivers the sweet malt character first followed quickly by subtle hop fruitiness. The spice I caught on the nose is just barely there. A bit of tanginess shows on the finish. A good, rich mouth feel with just a bit of alcohol feel leads to a good drinkability

01-04-2005 23:36:26 | More by carln26
TastyTaste

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

I am starting to sense a pattern with these corked and cage bottles that I have been buying lately. They all have a delicious woody-earthy flavor. A dark brown body, with a sizable light tan head. An ok beer, if not overly flavorful. OK malty flavor with some muted hops. I bought this bottle, which was probably 2 years old, but it didn't have any ill effects on the beer.

12-19-2004 22:58:50 | More by TastyTaste
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

It just happened that my friend and I went to "Beer Heaven" and grabbed a 4-pack of this. Unaware, the actual brewmaster and owner of Allagash was standing right behind us and said "nice choice, thats my beer!" I thought the guy was blowing smoke up my ass, but he handed my friend his business card and thanked us for supporting him. So, needless to say, that was pretty cool. Now on the other hand, this beer is not so cool. I love allagash products and was shocked by this brew. The appearance isn't terrible. It was an opaque dark brown with a red glow in the light. The head was pretty small but held on for a little bit. The aroma was semi-sweet with malt and sugar hints. The taste was suprisingly off. It was beyond what I consider to be dry. My mouth immediately began to search for any remaining saliva to prevent total loss of all taste. The alcohol was very evident and came on strong along with the dryness. Now let me clarify, dryness is not always a bad factor, but this was just not a favorable presence. In order to finish it, I will have to struggle. Still have love for Allagash though!

12-05-2004 20:49:16 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
bultrey

2.42/5  rDev -36.3%

What a strange beer. First off, what's with the twist-off cap? I couldn't get mine off for the life of me, so I resorted to the traditional method -- using my teeth.
Anyway, this pours a murky brown-amber color with minimal head and the slightest lacing. The first thing I thought of when I smelled it was a cigar dipped in some sort of chocolate liqueur. There are also undertones of fig, raisin and other dark fruits.
As for the taste, I find this drinks much more like a German-style dopplebock than a Belgian dubble, particularly the heavy cocoa accents. It doesn't quite have that banana-clove thing going either. There is an earthy, slight tobacco aftertaste, with decent hops bittering to round things out. This makes for a clean finish but not an incredibly mouthfilling or complex beer. Therefore, it would actually make as decent a session beer as a dubble probably could be.

Re-review 10-16
I was being too nice to this beer because I love so many of Allagash's other offerings. This stinks. It tastes like a liquid Tootsie roll. I actually poured most of this out, which is rare for me. I would be doing a disservice to BA's who might read this to give this anything higher than a 3.0.

11-30-2004 23:27:21 | More by bultrey
scottum

Vermont

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Been sitting on this one for a while. Batch number thirty-one is listed on the label.

Pour out a wonderful deep brown with a huge off-white/tan headskie. Tastes sharp and floral with some lingering sweetness. A decent dubbel, but not up to snuff with the imports. Certainly worth checking out.

11-30-2004 00:31:49 | More by scottum
Shaw

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Batch No. 43.

It's a deep ruby color with a short, light brown head. It smells musty and sweet with caramelized notes and a hint of sourness.

This isn't as sweet as other Dubbels I've had. It is a bit drier and wine-like and subtle. The musty smell kind of translates into the taste, no doubt from being cellared by Allagash before retail. It has been a while since I've had a beer like this so it's interesting to shift my palate from super-hoppy ales to this.

Check it out. Allagash did a good job.

11-07-2004 04:19:17 | More by Shaw
cooter

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

I wasn't going to review this one, but halfway through, changed my mind. It has a beautiful head and a dark amber color. The word that comes to mind when smelling is "smooth," not quite sure why. Tastes of tobacco (both pipe and cigarette, not a cigar), moss, vinegar, lime, grapefruit, hops, cannabis smoke aftertaste. Really interesting. As you might be able to tell, it's very smokey, and I like it. The immediate brunt of the taste is a Belgian dark ale, but the smoke and tart, sour tastes are very fun. I'm happy I have a sixer, cause it'll be fun to explore. I may modify this review when I have it again...

Ok, I read the other reviews, and realized that I while I did get cherry, I did not get toffee. Carry on.

11-03-2004 23:31:21 | More by cooter
Rio

Kansas

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Hazy, dark amber, almost purple color, with a decent head that receeded to a thin lace rather quickly. Grassy aromas that I've found in many Belgians, along with a bit of a citrus (lemon?) aroma, and a dark, sugary fruit smell, reminicents of grapes.

A bit of a fruity, sweet taste, followed almost immediately by a sharp tartness. The taste of alcohol is pretty prevalent in here, as well, while the feel seems almost a frothy, smooth feel.

A very good Dubbel in my limited experience with the style. Very enjoyable. Many thanks to afatty for sharing this beer with me.

11-01-2004 04:55:11 | More by Rio
donnebaby

4.18/5  rDev +10%

Opaque, dark maroon body with juuuust a haze and a ring of foam, overall pretty still-looking. Nose has lots of citrus/coriander witbier character (must be that Belgian yeast ;) with a dry wheatiness that portends smooth flavor. Spots of vanilla and mint--quite yummy smelling.

Taste is complex sweet and woody malts. Some toasty graham and dry nuttiness, mild citrus. A bitter layer of flavorful toffee streaks through the mouth into the aftertaste and changes to be more and more bitter, coming to dominate the whole palate.

There's a spritzy carbonation mouthfeel that I didn't love--but I felt that it lightened the brew significantly, taking the burden off the malts and the booze. Nice brew that I'd buy again in a jiffy.

10-30-2004 21:46:51 | More by donnebaby
Bdc

Oklahoma

4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

Hazy chestnut in color with an ample, lasting, off-white head. Mild, spicy aroma with hints of plum. Smooth, silky mouthfeel. Flavor is rich malt with notes of chocolate, fruit, earth, nuts. Slightly alcoholic with a dry finish. An enjoyable interpretation of the style.

10-25-2004 21:32:54 | More by Bdc
crookedhalo

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

75 cl cork and caged bottle. Pours a chestnut brown color with a big beige head. Scorched malt, yeasty and cidery nose with a lot of dark fruit and vinous tones to it. Hops are picked up more in the taste than in the nose. Soft carbonation gives it a creamy, almost chalky mouthfeel. Dark malts and candi sugar play into the vinous, yeasty character to create all kinds of fruitiness ranging from grape and currant to plum and passionfruit and finishing with a bit of spiciness, like clove. There's more dubbel characteristics, like chocolate, in the aroma than the taste. A good dubbel, with its own, unique character.

10-07-2004 05:04:13 | More by crookedhalo
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Very nice drink of various nice malts and tastes and some very good yeast. Alcohol fig aftertaste and fine for one beer. Though not a great balance, it worked. Another good brew from this brewery, I will try them all. Nice head, nice dark colour. Mild spice and mimimal hops.

10-03-2004 03:55:25 | More by Sammy
rkhaze

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a clear reddish brown with amedium sized, creamy beige head. A stream of carbonation bubbles emitted from the center of the Duvel goblet to feed the head. It got rocky and pock marked as it fell.
Aromas of lightly roasted sweet malt, rum soaked fruit, nuts and tangy yeast at the end. Smells rich and earthy.
Sweet malt, brown sugar and juicy/tangy fruit flavors. Mild tart yeast, nuts and a slightly funky taste in the finish. There was an alcohol warmth. Didn't seem to be as tasty as the smell promised.
Light bodied with a full, round, yet thin and highly carbonated mouthfeel.
Decent drinkability. Not bad, but seemed a little off kilter.

09-21-2004 02:31:29 | More by rkhaze
HappyHourHero

Indiana

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Big bottle of batch #36. Big foamy, oatmeal cream colored head leaves a solid coat of lace. Aromas of raisins, chocolate, yeast, and a pinch of apple, pretty damn nice. Hazy chocolate brown colored beer with an amber hue. Medium-full body, mouthfeel is silky smooth, almost creamy. Chocolate malt up front, some apple in towards the middle, and a mild bitterness takes over in the end. Finish fades back towards the chocolate. Flavor didn't live up to the initial impression from the look and smell of the beer, but all in all very nice.

09-19-2004 23:27:16 | More by HappyHourHero