Allagash Four - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash FourAllagash Four

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

We brew this beer with four malts, four sugars, four hop varieties and we ferment it four times, using four different yeast strains. The complexity of the brewing process is matched by the complexity of this unique beer. Flavors of raisin, candied fruit and plum express themselves throughout.

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 03-26-2004)
4.65/5  rDev +14%

The elegant bottle reveals little information other than it has 4 malts, 4 hops, and 4 fermentations. Released on 04-04-04, according to lore. Corked and caged when I brought it up from the cellar. After removing the cage, a nimble twist of the fingers produced a "Pop", as the cork easily flew away, and a brief haze of "smoke" arose from the bottle. Poured slightly chilled into my St Bernardus goblet, we have a fascinating, ruby body with a nice looking, beige head. The magnificent body is complimented by wondrous sheets of lace, all over the goblet. This ale has a superior appearance.

Aroma is incredibly complex. Overripe bananas, cotton candy, raisins, cloves, allspice, and a hint of orange peel.

Mouthfeel is above average. Dry, spicy, medium bodied, with ample carbonation.

The taste is exceptional. Allspice opens the door for an experience that should be legal only in the afterworld. Honeydew and cantelope melon, cotton candy, doughy malt, alcohol warming, ginger, clove, mandarin orange, and a freshly washed wool sweater, converge on the senses. The flavors are at their best at room temperature. Finish is slightly dry, with an orange rind aftertate.

Allagash has made a believer out of me. This Quadrupel matches most of the top Belgians I've had, and exceeds many others. I plan a pilgrimage to Maine, next month to tour this brewery, and attempt to learn how they can craft such a fine Belgian style Quad. Exceptional!

merlin48, Jun 02, 2004
4.65/5  rDev +14%

Spicy, yeasty, fruity nose, large pitted fruits with a hint of pineapple
Hazy orange tinted dark amber under a moussey, very fine bubbled 2" off white head that slowly descends to a thick film that produces thick lace.
Layers of big malt flavors including touches of caramel, maple, malty spice, biscuit to fruit bread, give way to yeast driven large pitted fruits, hints of tropical fruits to finish with hop spice and balancing bitterness. The malt, yeast, hop and alcohol flavors are very well balanced.
Medium body with creamy, very fine carbonation and a slight alcohol warming.

pat61, Sep 13, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +14%

I ran across a couple of these in a trip to MA the other weekend. Had one of these when they first came out but not since. Had no choice but to pick up a couple and try it again.

Pours a deep golden amber. Nice carbonation with a steady white head

The smell is intoxicating. Belgium candy sugar and a touch of fruit in the aroma. Some hops aroma in the background, but not overpowering in any way despite being described as 4 hops used on the bottle.

This is a nice medium bodied quadrupple. Wonderful flavor. Caramel, candi sugar, citrus, banana, oak, vanilla. The taste swirls around the mouth and makes you want to come back for more. This beer is lightly sweet, not cloying or syrupy in any way. My next trip up to Portland ME will conclude with a case or two of this coming home with me for the beer cellar to enjoy for quite some time! Highly recommended

barleywinebrewer, Feb 21, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +14%

750ml Corked Batch #1 I believe Pours a beautiful amber which is cloudy and with a fiery orange hue and a thick dense and frothy head. Head settles down a bit but retains well. Fantastic aroma, sugary, malty with notes of cherries, yeast and spices like pepper and clove. Wonderful. The mouthfeel is creamy, full and smooth with a delicate feel and a lively carbonation. The flavor is also one to desire. A sugary, malty spicy treat that has a faint and enjoyable hop presence which lends a slight grassy note. Not as complex or deep a flavor as some Belgian Quads we all are familiar with but I wasn't expecting that either. This is an American brew. Maybe with time it will mature a bit but it's wonderful right now in my opinion. An incredibly enjoyable flavor. This one's a winner folks. The best Allagash has brewed in my humble opinion. Way to go guys!

BierReise, Apr 13, 2004
4.65/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: It has a deep honey color and a thick head like a good quad should.
Smell: Overwelming hop and malt tones, as well as alcohol.
Taste: Wow! Where to start? My first impression was big hops amd big malt flavors, but it quickly turns to apple and fig-like flavors. Finish it all up with a warm shot of alcohol, and you've got yourself a fine brew indeed.
Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy.
Drinkability: Special occasions only, but one of the most drinkable in it's class.

jvajda, Aug 31, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a ruddy dark brown color with a gorgeous head that goes nowhere. As soon as the cork was popped, the aroma was very evident. Especially as I poured the beer into my Duvel glass. Strong aromas of dark fruits, candied apples, pears, grapes, candy sugar, belgian yeast..quite complex and very luxurious bouquet. Taste is of more fruitiness, pears, green and red apples, figs, candied malts, hops, phenols, you name it, its here...good job masking the alcohol bite. Warming going down. Mouthfeel is heavy, carbonated, on the dry side. Tremendous beer and the 750ml didn't last very long at all. Although it is a sipper, you keep wanting to take sip after sip after sip because it is so great. I love this beer. It's just as good as I remember it to be.

Doomcifer, Oct 28, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Brown creamy color, nice medium head poured in a frosty mug. Great citrus flavor that tantalized our nariz like no other. Smooth citrus flavor, nice hop blend, and a little sweet finish. The finish might be the best part, as I cashed the brew and sat contemplating the sweet, citrus, hoppy aftertaste. Fantastic! Give it a try if you have the thumb strength to pop the top!

curtisb8, Feb 23, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured a 750 ml caged and corked bottle into a challis.

A: It poured a deep amber brown with a slight beige head and modest to non-existent

S: There was the strong presence dark malts (some roasted, some burnt, others light ans sweet), spices including pepper and nutmeg, and dark fruits (figs and plums). This is a complex beer with a bright bold aroma.

T: It has the flavor of English toffee, a hint of dark chocolate, and a dash of spices including white pepper and allspice.

M: Medium to full-body with a creamy smooth as silk demeanor. No matter how much I wanted to retain it in my mouth so I could enjoy the rich flavors it seemed to demand to be swallowed. It has a bit of warm alcohol finish but there is no residual bitterness or alcohol burn. Smooth and creamy.

D: I enjoy this great American take on a classic Belgium. It’s a bit thin from my taste but all of the other ingredients are there for a wonderful beer that I intend to keep stocked whenever possible.

Comments – I am a fan of the excellent brewery that spawned this fine beer. I gladly pay a premium so I can enjoy the consistent quality that each beer from Maine exhibits. The Four was no exception. I’ll continue to reach for it whenever it presents itself this far way from home.

dnichols, Sep 17, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a medium-dark brown with a huge, fluffy white head. The beer is a little hazy and is not see-through. A great looking beer.

Smell is dark fruits, lots of raisins and some Belgian yeast.

The taste has some dark fruits, as well as some caramel malt and some sweetness which I guess is from the candi sugar. I don't get any alcohol in the flavor. It can't be easy to hide all the alcohol flavor and aroma in a 10 percent beer, but Allagash has pulled it off. The beer does give you a warming sensation in your chest, absolutely wonderful.

As large as the head was, the beer is not that carbonated which I really appreciate. The beer is not that thick in the mouthfeel, making it easy to drink. At 10 percent, this is very drinkable and could be dangerous since you can't taste any of the alcohol. A great beer.

Mora2000, Nov 03, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Murky brass/bronze color with a full pillowy beige head, very active slow tiny bubbled carbonation, and solid sheets of lace. Nice big fruity apple-like aroma and flavor with lots of spicy phenols and alcohol. Lots of raisin character comes out as it warms up. Full-medium bodied with a bit of airiness due to the carbonation levels.

Kind of between a dubbel and a quad but not quite a tripel ... :-) Yummy though !!

Per bottle: "4 Malts, 4 Hops, Fermented 4 Times"

Per ABC website: OG 1090
4 malts, 4 hops, 4 sugars and 4 Belgian yeast strains. Date Sugar, Light Candi, Dark Candi, and Light Golden Molasses.

(25.4 oz / 750 ml tall straight brown lithographed wine-like bottle, corked and caged)

RBorsato, Apr 11, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, I am finally cracking my bottle of this stuff tonight, I've had it in the fridge for about 2 months now and just havent gotten around to trying it.

A - Poured a clearish brown/reddish tinge into my goblet with a forthy 1 inch head that stuck around for quite awhile.

S - Smells simply great, not at all what I was expecting, smells of banana, canteloupe, with a small hint of dark sugars in the back. One of the best beers I have ever smelled.

T - Taste is yeasty, fruity with a hint of alcohol towards the end. The taste is quite complex, I am getting 4 different levels of taste out of this which is fitting since its name is FOUR. Starts with fruit, moves to yeastiness, then on to some dark sugary flavors, then finally a nice alcohol burn to warm you up at the end.

M - Starts out kind of light and fluffy and as the tastes progress so does the mouthfeel into an almost syrupy finish. Leaves a nice clean palette for the next sip too so u get to experience the tastes over and over.

D - I would have given this a 5 if it wasnt so spendy per bottle, but overall the best Quadruple I have tried to date. Amazingly complex. Well worth what I paid. Now to finish this bottle and tomorrow try and track down another!

Iguana, Apr 26, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

A- Not quite dark enough ruby color, more bronze but a beautiful head that just will not quit.

S- I was expecting more but the smell was weaker, still had candied malt and spicy hops coming through.

T- Well this sealed the deal, this is f-ing great. Deep complex malt bill of various sweet malt flavor tinged with alcohol and the hops a perfect company through the changing malt flavors.

M- A great mouthfeel, full a deep the alcohol makes this one stand up.

Overall this was a terrific beer and a real pleasent sipper and something to be shared or horded depending on company.

Higravity, Sep 26, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

Had this on cask at Rustico's Glassware Giveaway (served after they ran out of Black). I've really been enjoying Belgians lately, and this was certainly no exception. It was a hazy dark amber with some light tan head. It smelled a bit faint, but like creamy Belgian yeast and mulling spices and toffee. Delicious. It tasted similar to the smell, but bolder and with a lot of nuances and complexities that I'm sure I missed (split this pint with a friend, and had already had a couple pints before). My main thought was how surprisingly similar this tasted to St. Bernardus, which is one of my all-time favorites. However, the key difference was the body and feel. Despite Four being on cask, St. Bernardus from a bottle somehow manages to be much smoother and silkier. Four was a little thin and flat. I'd probably normally give the mouthfeel a 4, but considering it was on cask, I had to dock it a half point for not living up to my hopes/expectations. Otherwise, this was a very enjoyable beer. Great to sip and contemplate, but all to easy to gulp.

Pencible, Mar 11, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

Pored a nice chestnut brown color with loads of head.Had to let it settle to get more in the glass-huge carbonation level-head lingered the whole way down.Enormous aroma of malt-very bready and yeasty as well.Nicely spiced.Malt and spices dominate-theres a great sweetness going on.Spices-notes of orange,coriander and licorice.Huge full bodied mouthfeel-10% abv-WHERE?Very smooth with the same residual sweetness.A very,very drinkable beer.Improved greatly as it warmed.This really needs to lay a while to improve even more.A great Belgian style beer from the US.

lackenhauser, Jul 10, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a semi-translucent honey golden with a thick, fine-bubbled, pale yellow-cream head. Aroma is fruity, yeasty and slightly sweet. Richly fruity flavor has hints of yeast, malt and honey - quite tasty. Lively, tingly, fizzy, sassy texture leaves a nice honey-sweet but not cloying finish.

Cyberkedi, Mar 21, 2010
4.56/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This pours out in a amber, copper brown color with a nice lacey head.

The aroma has tons of stuff happening. There’s cherry, caramel, a nuttiness, spice, tons of dried dark fruit, but then there’s a really nice pop of cherry or sour berry in the back. The aroma on this is killer.

The flavor follows with a huge pop of cherry, bready Belgian yeast qualities, but also darker fruits like figs, dates, and raisin. There’s also a candy caramel sweetness. The hops don’t really come through except for that good bitterness on the back. The cherry in there though really reminds me of Three Philsophers, probably from the yeast strain they’re using.

There is some booze on the end, but it is still easy drinking. There’s a tannin, vinous finish on the back end.

Dare I say, I perfer this over Three Philsophers. This surely packs more complexity and has that wonderful nose. It also is really quite easy drinking, which is dangerous for a 10% ABV quad. One of the few American examples of a quad that I both find interesting, but amazing.

dar482, Jul 02, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a hazy light brown with a thin head.

S: Smells of pepper and granny smith apple with caramel malt.

T: Pears, apples, melons, pepper and bready malt dominate the palate. What a pleasure.

M: Medium mouthfeel with delicate carbonation.

D: This beer's excellent characteristics justify it's steep price. I'll definitely be celibrating special events with this in the future.

FACEMEAT, Dec 29, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

November 21st, 2012 bottling date.

A: into a tulip, amber brown body with just the slightest haze, two-finger head, beige; modest lace, good retention - a frothy-rimmed film remained throughout

S: lots of malty aromas - some musky, some semi-sweet - and lots of fragrant hoppy and yeasty scents, from floral to herbal

T: very complex - very suggestive of an aged old ale or barleywine - sweetness comes in the form of candied fruits and malt, but there are drying overtones reminiscent of barrel aging; less sweet than most quads I've had - a lot of hop bitterness and yeasty brightness

M: drying, crisp, slight tartness on the tip, some smooth coating; carbonation adds briskness to a smooth drinking beer; lighter body and feel than most quads I've had - the whiskey-ish drying seemed to offset any weight I might have felt in another quad

O: add this to my list of Allagash awesomeness - my review numbers may be a little misleading if you're thinking typical quad - this is an atypical quad (IMO) - my impression of the beer was that it tasted as much like an English old ale or strong ale as much as a "traditional" quad (such a St. Bernardus or a Pannepot). I loved the flavor and feel, very complex and elegant. Very classy drinking.

Greywulfken, Feb 03, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

Batch 16, from notes. Finally getting around to reviewing this one.

Hazy, deep amber, but golden/orange when backlit. Light tan foam stays a while then leaves thick lacing early on. It is active, and lots of suspended yeast is visible when backlit.

Sweet malty, dark fruity, Belgian yeasty, and a bit of spice right out of the gate. Boozy esters and subtle floral hops emerge later. Maybe just a bit too hot for a 5...

Follows the nose. Rich sweet malty base blending with dark fruit and Belgian yeasty flavor is the platform upon which the more subtle elements are layered. Mellow alcohol, barely perceptible floral hops and a mile bitterness. Wicked smooth and tasty.

Plenty if not over carbonated. Rich, full, smooth, and clean. A bit of very mild bitterness, and a dryness in the finish that I hadn't yet noticed.

Rich, smooth, complex, and balanced. A deluxe, exquisite treat.

sprucetip, Apr 27, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Beautifully hazy. I could stare at this for hours if it weren't a beer I love.

A lot lighter than I thought, some interesting aromas going on here. Very enticing.

Sweet but alcoholic. This is a great tasting Quad. Strong, but not overbearing. Maltiness is wonderful.

Lots going on but this one finishes better than any beer I have had more than once or twice. It's hard to describe. Each sip offers another suprise. So very tasty, this one had me buzzed before I could realize it.

This one is a must have. My local bottle shop has it regularly and I get a bottle probably once every two or three months. One of my favorite beers.

duckrabbitfan, Jan 16, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +11%

Poured into my St. Bernardus goblet. Pours a almost raspberry lambic color. Red and cloudy. No real head. Not alot of lacing.

Smells to me like a lindmans framboise mixed with an Abt 12. Not a super strong smell but that's what it smells like.

Tastes awesome. No raspberry like the smell would suggest. Very much like a good quad. Tastes like sort of like a tripel is mixed in too though.

Mouthfeel is perfect for the style. No complaints.

Drinkability is high. This is the second time I had this brew and I bought it this time just to review it because I knew I liked it. Kind of expensive though.

PeprSprYoFace, Feb 28, 2009