Allagash Four - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash FourAllagash Four

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

We brew this beer with four malts, four sugars, four hop varieties and we ferment it four times, using four different yeast strains. The complexity of the brewing process is matched by the complexity of this unique beer. Flavors of raisin, candied fruit and plum express themselves throughout.

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 03-26-2004)
4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Another nice corked and caged 750.

Appearance: Hazy light brown with thin head at first, but it doesnt stick around long. It got some legs as you go.

Smell: Wow. Spicy, bready, and sweet. Lots of dark, raisiny fruit.

Taste: Very spicy upfront. All that nice fruit and bread in the middle, then booze running down your throat and warming your belly. The spiciness is almost peppery and balances all the thick sweetness to keep it from being cloying. Just delicious.

Mouthfeel: You almost never want to swallow this stuff. Such a full mouthfeel with nice carbonation. Lively. Its almost sticky in the way that the delicious flavor lingers.

Drinkability: This stuff is fantastic. If I was I nice guy, I would share it with someone, but I'm going to drink it all myself. It dont come cheap though-- I think my bottle was $14. You can get a world class Belgian quad for that, but this is almost as good, and made in the USA.

Just finished another bottle 9/1/10. I agree with my previous rating. Excellent beer. Plan to buy another for the cellar.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

On-tap at The Trappe Door in Greenville, SC

A: Pours a deep copper color into the Trappe Door tulip glass. Good head, good retention

S: Cherries, wood, lots of residual sugar, banana, and hints of Belgian yeast, raisin. Alcohol does come through in the nose, but does not mask the rest

T: Super malty, including notes of cherries, dark fruit, candied fruit, raisin, banana, and a little spearmint. Kind of sweet, but alcohol is not noticeable at all, despite its 10% ABV

MF/O: Thick body, velvety, creamy feel, finishes a little sweet with hints of candied dark fruit

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

P- Given to me by a friend. Thanks Joseph

Aged on year in the cellar.

A- an aromatic pour that gives a nice fluffy head and leaves a nice spideweb lacing on my weizen glass. A hazy cloudy dark bourbon type of color.

S- smell of some nice dark fruits such as plum or raisins. A caramel malty type of contingent as well. Alcohol is prominent in the nose as well.

T- The taste mimics the nose. Very dark fruity esters here. Grainy dark fruit.

M- Chewy and creamy. It is like eating chewy yogurt BUT in a good way because the alcohol really complements it well.

D- This brew will knock you on your ass so you better sip it. You feel like you could down it in 10 minutes but slow it down.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into snifter (I've had this cellaring for over 3 yrs).
A: Pours a very cloudy, dense dark golden tan with very thin head (I'm guessing due to the cellaring).
S: Strong yeast, almost more cracker-like than bread-like. Drier and more astringent. Spice and dried fruit come through as well.
T: Raisin, date, clove, and a hint of cinnamon. Strong yeast. ABV well balanced with the sugar. As this warms, notes of vanilla come through.
M: Actually a fairly light mouth feel with slight effervescence. Surprisingly, mild carbonation continues to be kicked up with each swirl of the glass.
D: A good, but not great quadrupel. However, I feel this may have over-aged, so I will have to come back to this one again. Hints of complexity, but falls a little flat and short of expectations. A very interesting brew and one I would recommend at least trying.

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

This beer poured a deep copper to brown color. It had a medium haze, a nice thick rich tan head and a gentle lace on the glass. I smell sweet candy, sugar from the malt. No hop presence on the nose. The malt is up front on the 1st taste too. Then I detect a bite from the alcohol, and finally a bit of a nip from the malt. It’s not overly sweet which is pleasantly surprising. With the extra fermentation I was expecting it to be thicker. It has a fairly heavy mouth feel, and for me I could have 1 or 2, but this is definitely not a session beer. This should be taken seriously as a fine example for this Belgian style.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

A: This beer was a cloudy medium brown color. There was a small head with slight retention.

S: The aroma was malty and sweet. Raisins, spices and Belgian candy were noted.

T: This beer was malty with raisin and molasses flavors noticeable. It is very well balanced.

M: The mouthfeel was full bodied and warming. There was a slight carbonation bite. It left a somewhat oily residue on the tongue.

D: This is a very nice big beer. It has a wide range of complex flavors.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into a chalice.

Pours a cloudy (with some sediment) reddish amber color. Has a fluffy off white head. The head settles to a chunky lace island and leaves a lot of creamy lace along the rim. Lace is really sticky and looks great. For a quad this one is tremendous looking.

Brew smells of dark fruits and yeasts, spicy and malty, oily resiny hops. Complex good smell.

The brew is smooth and creamy, dark fruits and spices are in the for front. The hops are for sure the difference maker here. The oily, resiny hops are in the middle and do a fantastic job of tying this brew together, and at the same time takes this quad in a direction that I haven't experienced yet in any other quad. The brew finishes dry and smooth, almost no alcohol for such a big brew. A sessionable big quad - wow thats scary. Has a fantastic mouthfeel and taste, this is a true winner.

Wow - Allagash has some world class brews. This may be the best quad I have had. It is different than any other quad I have had, and this is what makes it stand out. Tremendous stuff.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured a 750 ml caged and corked bottle into a challis.

A: It poured a deep amber brown with a slight beige head and modest to non-existent

S: There was the strong presence dark malts (some roasted, some burnt, others light ans sweet), spices including pepper and nutmeg, and dark fruits (figs and plums). This is a complex beer with a bright bold aroma.

T: It has the flavor of English toffee, a hint of dark chocolate, and a dash of spices including white pepper and allspice.

M: Medium to full-body with a creamy smooth as silk demeanor. No matter how much I wanted to retain it in my mouth so I could enjoy the rich flavors it seemed to demand to be swallowed. It has a bit of warm alcohol finish but there is no residual bitterness or alcohol burn. Smooth and creamy.

D: I enjoy this great American take on a classic Belgium. It’s a bit thin from my taste but all of the other ingredients are there for a wonderful beer that I intend to keep stocked whenever possible.

Comments – I am a fan of the excellent brewery that spawned this fine beer. I gladly pay a premium so I can enjoy the consistent quality that each beer from Maine exhibits. The Four was no exception. I’ll continue to reach for it whenever it presents itself this far way from home.

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Batch 15.

Pours maroon brown with hints of gold at the edges of my glass. Medium head is khaki colored and thick, leaving abundant lacing. Aromas of apple cider, grapes, and candi sugar all complement a Belgian style yeasty nose.

Spicy and fruity flavors dominate this sweet mapley brew thanks to the four yeast strains. Raisins, grapes, white pepper, and thyme all are evident with a spicy roasty finish. Flavors are aggressive, personally I would prefer a milder brew. Body is medium and it is excessively bubbly.

This strikes me as a very American quadrupel, taking the subtle fruity complexity of a Belgian quad and ratcheting it up to the next extreme level. It is a little much for me.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a dark amber color, with a nice two finger cocoa head. Good carbonation and lacing on my snifter. The head is very pillow-like in appearance, and sticks around for a long time. Nose is yeast, malt, hops, caramel, dark fruit, and spices. Really nice nose on this brew- it could easily pass for a Belgian Quad on the smell. Taste is good, but not quite up to the smell. This is definitely one of the smoothest, malty, drinkable Quads I've ever had. The hops are hidden, but you get some of them in the taste. The 10% ABV is there w/ a little bit of alcohol burn on the aftertaste- it's pretty mellow though. Feel is silky smooth and sweet, with the hop bitterness barely there. Overall, this is a very enjoyable Quad. Definitely in the top 3 or 4 American Quads I've had (off the top of my head). Definitely worth picking up. Cheers.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

A- About a inch thick light tan head on a clear deep ruby body. Lacing stays around for a while covering the top of the beer.
S- Big cloves, spices, alcohol, esters, rich dark fruits, grassy hops, and one or two others that I can't pin point. The aroma reminds me of a St. Bernardus 12.
T- Alcohol storms through on tongue and then warms throat a lot. It's not very well covered at all. Big esters come through just as strong along with sweet caramel (light toffee) malts, hints of raisins, plums, and other dark fruits, spices come out pretty nicley. There are some grass hops in here that leave a medium bitterness on the tongue (though you don't get much of a hop flavor). Very big and nicely balanced brew.
M- Medium body with medium/low carbonation.
D- I think it is a great Quad. I think St. Bernys 12 is better though and especially for the price difference. Good beer but you can get better for a lot cheaper.

Allagash Four from Allagash Brewing Company