Allagash Four - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash FourAllagash Four

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

We brew this beer with four malts, four sugars, four hop varieties and we ferment it four times, using four different yeast strains. The complexity of the brewing process is matched by the complexity of this unique beer. Flavors of raisin, candied fruit and plum express themselves throughout.

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 03-26-2004)
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Dark brown with a reddish tinge

S: Lots of candi sugar and dark fruit

T: Awesome. Caramel-y, malty, lots of boozy canid sugar, fruitcake. Never cloying despite the sweetness.

M: Good full bodied beer, low carbonation level

D: This is one that'll leave a massive hangover given the sugar and abv. So, I guess that's a compliment because I'd probably drink way too much of this if given the chance.

abfraser, Sep 29, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -36.3%

Hmm, seems I'm in the minority here.

Beautiful caged bomber, the label of which read "Four hops, four malts, fermented four times." To which I ask the question, where the heck did all those ingredients go? I can't taste any hops & barely any malts.

Four is startling average; no nose AT ALL, verified by my marvelous wife who shared the bomber with me. Taste is shallow & twofold: sweet candied sugar followed by a mortar round of alcohol. Nothing else.

I'm a fan of the style & this one left me heartily underwhelmed. Disappointing.

maximum12, Sep 26, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

On tap at City Beer Store.

Appearance: dark brown/red

Smell: I only had a 5 ounce glass, which was a little cold to start with, so difficult to appreciate the smell.

Taste: Declicious quad flavors: malty, caramel, fruit, spice, prodigious quantities of candi sugar. My kind of beer. The hops are under control.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thick body, as I would expect from a beer packed with so much flavor and sugar.

Drinkability: At 10% abv, probably not that drinkable in large quantities, but I don't care. This is a delicious brew.

waltonc, Sep 25, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap at City Beer Store in San Francisco.

An excellent quadrupel in the same mold as the great Westvleteren. Appears reddish-brown with a thin cream-colored head. Strong candi sugar which lends a strong sweetness to both the aroma and the taste. Strong dark fruits on the taste and the typical Belgian yeast. Slightly metallic on the finish, but also very warming and smooth.

nickd717, Sep 21, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance - Orangish amber in color with a very soft thin off white head.

Smell - Dark fruit, orange peel, and a belgian yeast aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Nothing really stuck out to me with this one. Has a heavy butter rum feel to it combined with the orange peel. The four sugars and malts are blended nicely to give it a smooth sweet feel.

Drinkability - Haven't been to impressed with many of Allagash's offerings but this one does have some charm. Not a quad i'd grab again, though it was a pleasant experience. Let it warm a bit so it will blossom.

ryrust5301, Sep 20, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Poured a beautiful slightly cloudy ruby orange brown color with a finger thing head creamy head. The head retains pretty well and leaves a sheet of lacing as it is consumed.

S: Belgian candy sugar with a slight alcohol aroma mixed with a hint of Belgian yeast. It smells fantastic.

T: Excellent slightly sweet malty initial flavor. The ABV is excellently hidden which surprised me a bit since I could smell the alcohol. Dark fruit flavors really complement the sweet malty taste. This is the best Belgian style quad I have had that is not made in Belgium.

M: Creamy thick mouthfeel from the carbonation. The alcohol warmth comes through just a bit when rolled on the tongue.

D: For a 10% ABV this one is amazingly drinkable. I could see myself drinking this way too fast if I didn't know it was so powerful.

GatorBeerNerd, Sep 13, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Part of NEPA BC split #14.

I had 2 bottles of this. With the first the cork seemed to slide out entirely too easily, with no pop and produced no head. That didn't seem right, so I waited to review (although I heard from others in the split that they had similar experiences, which leads me to believe there was a bit of a bottling/corking problem with this brew). This 2nd bottle was much better, nice pop, and one finger of light tan head. It settled to a thin lace and didn't leave any stick on top of the medium brown body, but it was better than last time.

Smell is quite malty, with some caramel and brown sugar aromas, along with some candi sugar sweetness, and also has some dark fruits and a somewhat sour, yeasty and buttery like aroma. Smells a little bit like feet, actually. Some booze, too.

Taste is much smoother and the odd, feet sort of aroma does not manifest itself in taste-wise. Caramel and brown sugar, molasses, candi sugar. Lots of sweet malty goodness going on here. There is some buttery flavor and some alcohol, and raisins and dark fruits.

Mouthfeel is between a medium and full body, quite smooth with very soft carbonation. Quite creamy.

Besides just the aforementioned bottling/corking issues, this one seems to be a bit rough around the edges. It's good, and pretty tasty, but not a great beer.

number1bum, Sep 11, 2008

On-tap at the Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a murky red-brown with a medium off-white head, solid retention and lacing.

S: Strong presence of dark fruit, some ethanol, sugar, candy.

T: Great flavour filled with all the goodies I expect in a strong Belgian. Heavy raisin, dried fruit, plum sweetness starts the beer, with a mild ethanol presence ended by sesame candy and candied apple, rum also there.

M: Full body, mild carbonation, light solvent character, robust, strong feel.

D: One of the best beers I've had in a while, just explodes with great flavours when it enters your mouth, really good stuff, one of the most drinkable 10+% beers out there.

Halcyondays, Sep 05, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Though we have Allagash available in Pittsburgh...their more special brews are hard to come by. I picked this up at Stateline in MD. Review #400. Poured into my Mad Elf Chalice- I am drinking this as I review it.

A- Translucent Mahogany body that pours with a 2 finger creamy off-white head. Head fades to a thick collar and retains well but very little lacing is left behind in the glass. When held up to the light one can see that the cloudiness is thick and uniform and the red hues shine a bit more.

S- Belgian candi sugar, molasses, dark fruits (perhaps raisin), and dates hit the nose first-all pretty well balanced. Behind this is a faint spiciness and a looming smell of alcohol. The nose is very complex, but is very mild overall. Nothing is overpowering.

T-The flavor is much like the smell. Upfront are candi sugars, dates, dark fruits, and molasses all with pretty equal strength. Behind this is a complex malt and yeast combination that can be tasted more if you let the sip linger in your mouth (chocolate and toffee come through as well as a sweet bready flavor). A nice touch of spicy hop flavor is added to the finish and this is where the alcohol has a slight bite. Left to linger is something that resembles a vanilla creaminess, a touch of spicy hop flavor, a mild alcohol bitterness, and faint remnants of everything else. The character of this brew if very complex yet somewhat mild.

M-A medium, but ever tingly carbonation and a body rich in yeast. Extraordinarily smooth and creamy.

D- This is a very nice Quad. Very complex and somewhat mild...there are flavors here that are much more complex than my palate. This is what I imagine a great Quad to be. The alcohol is there...but it is much milder than in other examples of this style I have tried. Probably my favorite from Allagash so far...I will pick this up again.

PittBeerGirl, Sep 04, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Picked up a cold 750 ml bottle from the Main Party Store in Ann Arbor.

This beer reminds me of St. Bernardus 12, but not Westvleteren. The carbonation, like many quads, is quite high and the beer needs some time to mellow out before you can actually taste it. Once settled, there's a relatively good (but not great) mixture of caramel malts with dark fruits. This one drinks oh-so smoothly, and against stiff competition in the style holds it's own but doesn't stand out. Overall: well-made and an excellent example of the style.

tempest, Aug 29, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Purchased as a single at Total Wine, Chantilly, VA; had never seen it before.

A - Root beer/rosewood-like appearance with a beige, frothy cap and minimal lacing. I see tiny bubbles but no yeast.

S - Fruit cake, bourbon, caramel and hops.

T - Complex and fascinating. It has a soft caramel swing to it but then moves towards dried figs, cinnamon and dark bread. Delicious. Reminds me of the German Aventinus.

M - Softly carbonated which in my view adds to the complexity it offers with each creamy sip.

D - I'm struggling to get by the 10% ABV, but confess this is one of the best ales I've had to date. World class drinkable stuff that I suppose could age beautifully, but I haven't the patience. Enjoy this one on its own in the best glass you own. Wow.

pinotboy007, Aug 26, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Sampled on 8-24-08
Batch 15

Pours a super cloudy orange color, very cool in the light. A foamy off-white head settles quickly, but leaves behind big, craggy lacing.

Smell is very Belgian, apple cider at first, with a spicy alcohol character coming through next. Lighter than some quads, but very complex.

Taste is pleasantly subtle, lots of fruit flavors, very fresh and tart. Slightly boozy on the finish, with a nice bitter, apple peel aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good, not too thick so it agrees with the lighter flavors.

Drinkability is very good, easy on the palate with well-managed alcohol.

Overall, not the typical quad, but I think a little age would do wonders.

BMoney575, Aug 24, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

On tap at the Lazy Boy in White Plains.

A: Poured a super deep brown color. Just about the perfect looking quad. Barely had any head when it was brought to me and after about a minute it was all gone.

S: Nice dark fruit nose on this. The different yeasts and barley and hops make for a super dense nose. Too much to really pin down and isolate individual smells.

T: Dark fruit and yeast. Back and forth. Hints of plums and dates. Caramel and malt. Some spiciness and weird blasts of hops. Not in a hop bomb way though.

M: Nice thick body on this beer. The carbonation was low.

D: Really nice. Had this after a Dogfish 120 so anything is easy drinking after that. One of the better Quads I have had not made in Belgium. Glad I got to try this but I can never bring myself to plop down the 18 bucks to buy a bottle as there is too much good stuff out there for less.

aerozeppl, Aug 24, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Poured a raspberry-amber wit a foamy 2 finger beige head that settled quickly leveling to a sudsy thin layering. A slight rim lacing was left behind wit a light carbonation presence carrying on.

S: sweet and fruity with berries, sugar, and caramel apples.

T: The initial flavor was tart and acidic, with some sour apples, caramel and a sharp carbonation bite. There was some pears as well coming through. The beer finished with a yeasty fruity sourness, a bitter floral hoppiness, and a noticeable amount of alcohol fusels (cinnamon, brown sugar). The 10.0% abv makes itself know here as well as the four fermentation sessions producing a big yeasty character and bite.

M: light, oily, with a soft carbonation fizzle while it finished with a spicy and dry alcohol fade.

D: Drinkability was ok, with the hot and spicy alcohol fusels on the finish this is best reserved as a slow sipper where one bottle (1 pt. 9 oz) should be more then plenty for one person and probably best suited shared with a friend.

beerthulhu, Aug 05, 2008

Saw this and the price was right and I haven't had many quads to begin with.

Color: Pours a medium brown color with a frothy one-finger head and what appears to be ample carbonation.

Aroma: Rich and malty with raisin and brown sugar. Kind of like a saison on overload. Mild hop bitterness on the nose as well. Nothing overwhelming. As it warms up, I can detect a little grape as well.

Taste: Very nice and malty upfront. Alcohol warmth is very apparent and I can detect brown sugar, raisin, grape and hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Alcohol warmth kind of overwhelms things but it is somewhat dry and malty on the tongue.

Drinkability: I should probably buy another bottle for aging. I think this ale needs to be properly aged before it becomes more drinkable. The alcohol warmth is almost too much for me, requiring it to be enjoyed in sips.

Brad007, Jul 20, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

750ml corked & caged brown bottle with no freshness date, although I think I bought it about a year ago. pours a cloudy amber with a one finger head, great longevity and excellent lace. Initial malt aromas mixed with sour apple, followed by a faint bready yeasty smell. Flavor of fruity malts, sour apple, sherry. alcohol does not come through until well after it is swallowed. Great initial smoothmess that gets a bit harsh once the alcohol kicks in. Nice malty aftertase though. This one could have used another year or two of aging, but it is still very nice.

sabrills70, Jul 06, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

This bottle was aged - either the 1st (2004) or second (2005?) brewing of this unique Ale.
Ok, so I probably shouldnt have opened this bottle - but I did. Like so many things in life, this cannot be undone. Ya see, I chilled it down yesterday to take to a 4th of Hooray! party, but that didnt happen, the reasons for which are frankly none of anybodies business but my own.... but thats not why we are here.

Why I didnt save this to share with a buddy is my only real regret. But I figured if I visit and share it, I'd still end up drinking 1/2 of a 10%er after a couple or more warm up Double IPA's or something and I know from drinking this Allagash 4 stuff fresh, I dont want to mix this beer and a 30 mile drive home. So here I am, drinking alone, watching my Red Sox (for now) losing to those damn Yankmees and enjoying an absolutely fantastic american made, Belgian style Quad.

Chill hazed, rusty amber color with a firm and dense, light tan head. No carbonation visable, but indicated by the ring and film of foam that persisted till the beer was all gone. Specks of lace clung to the glass and refused to droop. Thats sticky baby!

The aromas reminds me very much of a Scaldis Bush - without the blast of alcohol. Very fruity with a rush of concentrated pear juice and carmelized sugar with distinct notes of sour apple and cherry. Some musty barnyard and alcohol mix in as well with an overall heady, brandy-like impression. Less hop aromas than a fresh bottle - more " Belgian".

Flavors of stewed fruit - more pears and apples with tart citrus and cherry/berry notes carried accross the tongue in a syrupy yet fluid river of toffee/caramel sweetness that warms the roof and back of the mouth with a pleasant singe of alcohol. Grain sweetness, fruity ester character and subdued alcohol all mesh completely in a blend of complex flavors that command appreciation without intimidation. A very well integrated, complex beer that retains a firm hop presence providing a long, mellow hop burn and tangy aftertaste. Reminds me of a De Ranke XX Bitter. ( High praise from me btw)

I was right. As drinkable as this is, 25oz kicked my butt. Sadly, I dont care now that I didnt share this with a friend, but I'm bummin because I know I'm not going anywhere, and I dont have another of these to drink.

** Cellaring note - (12 month temp range : 57 - 66 deg F) : If you have an Allagash 4 from 2004 - 2005 - try it NOW is my advice - especiallay if you have more than one. Some sour notes were noted on the fringes so 3-5 years may be peak or close to it. I remember 1 year didnt change it much.

Shiredave, Jul 05, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

I picked up a bottle of this at Sam's Quik Stop in Durham a few weeks back. Anything by Allagash is worth trying, and quads have earned a special place in my heart. There!

It pours a dark amber with bright copper highlights, and the head of dense off-white bubbles stuck around for the duration of the beer's life. Aromas of rich, dark, ripe fruit and brown sugar waft up from the brew; warming, nose-tingling alcohol and roasted malts are also detectable.

The mouthfeel is thick and nearly syrupy, but not too much. It coats the tongue and provides a long-lasting textural experience. Carbonation is on the medium side; perhaps a little less than many of Allagash's offerings.

Spicy flavors of overripe, dried-out cherries dominate the front, while roasted malts fill the center of the taste experience. The finish is replete with caramel and hoppy flavors, and a sensation of warming alcohol and bread provide a pleasing aftertaste. Hops seem to be an afterthought here, and only serve to balance the malt-laden flavor.

This is a fine example of an American quadrupel. I highly recommend it to anyone seeking a representative example of the style.

CWiggins, Jul 02, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

A- Light brown color, semi-clear, thin white ring of head that faded slowly

S- Dried fruits, figs, spices, yeast, slightly sweet

T- Spices, dark fruits, creamy, woody, dried fruits, bready

M- Medium body, low/medium carbonation, smooth, definite warming feeling

D- Worth buying

I wasn't overly impressed with this beer but it was still worth getting again. Good flavors and fairly easy to drink for the alcohol content.

iceball585, Jun 24, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

I used a 12 oz brandy snifter for this one. Pours deep orange amber with a 1" head after a vigorous poor. This one just looks thick!

Aromas show beautiful earthy/woody components, honey, dried apricot, orange, cloves, and alcohol. Notes of yeasty bread, must, and pears come through as the beer warms.The dried apricot aromas start to shine as the beer approaches 60 degrees. Very complex aromas!!!

Flavors start up front with front with sweet alcohol and figs and dried fruit. Mid pallet brings out the earth, spice, and phenols. A nice long finish with medium bitterness.

A very nice beer! Unfortunately I opened up a Rochefort 8 right after I tasted this one and it kind of left the it in the dust. None the less.... some good stuff!

SeanRCole, Jun 18, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

a: This was a clear yellowish copper color. It poured with an uneven craggy head that filled half the glass. As if fades, some sticks to the side of the glass.

s: I smell floral, fruity, alcoholic warmth. Strong scents of yeasty apple or cherry blossoms as well.

t: Up front strong flavors of bready yeasts with a bit of banana. Some sharp flavors of sour apple and cherry briefly emerge next. The finish is dry floral and peppery.

m: The carbonation is more aggressive than I'd like, peppery and effervescent.

d: This is a great example of an American quad, well worth seeking out.

DIM, Jun 16, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

For this beer, you need to drink in the correct cup. I chose a snifter so I can get the full aroma of this highly potent beer.

The Beer gives a pre-warning color to the sophistication of this beer. In a pint glass, dark golden column surrounded by a medium gold or copper "jacket." When in a goblet, Dark molasses brown.

Like most Belgium ales, the smell gives you a misleading hint of light and soft cindery apple and pear.

Once you take the sip you realize the drink is not soft and light and DEFINITELY not a cider! Once the ale hits your lips, there is an explosion of deep rich flavors as dark as the color in the snifter immediately powers in your mouth.

The mouth feel is definitely one of strong but drinkable ale. The consistency of the ale falls in the middle of both thick and light. This holds a medium body, which proves to be a great platform to display all this layered flavor from the ale.

It is very hard to compare different types of beers, but of all the ales that I have had, this is the best one to date. The flavor and balance is top notch. It is a shame how hard to find this beer is.

Cheers Beer Enthusiasts!

ArogantBastard26, Jun 02, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Allagash are difficult to get ahold of out here in Oregon. Had a snifter of this at the Publick House in Boston, and boy was it good!

reddish brown with foamy soapy looking head.

Awesome compolex aroma of dried fruit, hard candy, and a peppery alcohol spice.

Rasins and dark dried fruits are mingled with a mega dose of earthy malt, spicy yeast, and rich warm alcohol. This one intensifies as it warms up. Lingering aftertaste is a bit odd however, can't put my finger on it. After my relatively small glass of it, i already was feeling the 10%. It's hidden fairly well. If I guessed the abv, i'd have put it around 8%.

SurlyDuff, May 19, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

A - Dark honey orange, slightly opaque. Good head reduces fast, leaves small head. Clingly soapy lace with good retention.

S- Has classical Belgium nose. Belgium yeast, slightly sweet, smell some wood and spice, too.

T - Nice balance. Cooked fruit, honey and spice.

M - Almost too carb for my taste, but consistent with style. Medium body, good coating.

D- It's good.

srandycarter, May 19, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

At Manderes' Allagash tasting

A - Opaque orange color, with a light head, which dissipates quick.

S - Oaky, honey, with slight alcohol.

T - Coriander, oak, pear, and honey.

M - Excellent mouth feel. Very light, very satisfying.

D - Somebody get me a light cigar. Excellent, yet different from many of the quads I've had, which tend to have a much richer character, yet this one was more enjoyable.

MisterClean, May 17, 2008