Allagash Four - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 03-26-2004

We brew this beer with four malts, four sugars, four hop varieties and we ferment it four times, using four different yeast strains. The complexity of the brewing process is matched by the complexity of this unique beer. Flavors of raisin, candied fruit and plum express themselves throughout.
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

On-tap at the Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a murky red-brown with a medium off-white head, solid retention and lacing.

S: Strong presence of dark fruit, some ethanol, sugar, candy.

T: Great flavour filled with all the goodies I expect in a strong Belgian. Heavy raisin, dried fruit, plum sweetness starts the beer, with a mild ethanol presence ended by sesame candy and candied apple, rum also there.

M: Full body, mild carbonation, light solvent character, robust, strong feel.

D: One of the best beers I've had in a while, just explodes with great flavours when it enters your mouth, really good stuff, one of the most drinkable 10+% beers out there.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Though we have Allagash available in Pittsburgh...their more special brews are hard to come by. I picked this up at Stateline in MD. Review #400. Poured into my Mad Elf Chalice- I am drinking this as I review it.

A- Translucent Mahogany body that pours with a 2 finger creamy off-white head. Head fades to a thick collar and retains well but very little lacing is left behind in the glass. When held up to the light one can see that the cloudiness is thick and uniform and the red hues shine a bit more.

S- Belgian candi sugar, molasses, dark fruits (perhaps raisin), and dates hit the nose first-all pretty well balanced. Behind this is a faint spiciness and a looming smell of alcohol. The nose is very complex, but is very mild overall. Nothing is overpowering.

T-The flavor is much like the smell. Upfront are candi sugars, dates, dark fruits, and molasses all with pretty equal strength. Behind this is a complex malt and yeast combination that can be tasted more if you let the sip linger in your mouth (chocolate and toffee come through as well as a sweet bready flavor). A nice touch of spicy hop flavor is added to the finish and this is where the alcohol has a slight bite. Left to linger is something that resembles a vanilla creaminess, a touch of spicy hop flavor, a mild alcohol bitterness, and faint remnants of everything else. The character of this brew if very complex yet somewhat mild.

M-A medium, but ever tingly carbonation and a body rich in yeast. Extraordinarily smooth and creamy.

D- This is a very nice Quad. Very complex and somewhat mild...there are flavors here that are much more complex than my palate. This is what I imagine a great Quad to be. The alcohol is there...but it is much milder than in other examples of this style I have tried. Probably my favorite from Allagash so far...I will pick this up again.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Picked up a cold 750 ml bottle from the Main Party Store in Ann Arbor.

This beer reminds me of St. Bernardus 12, but not Westvleteren. The carbonation, like many quads, is quite high and the beer needs some time to mellow out before you can actually taste it. Once settled, there's a relatively good (but not great) mixture of caramel malts with dark fruits. This one drinks oh-so smoothly, and against stiff competition in the style holds it's own but doesn't stand out. Overall: well-made and an excellent example of the style.

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

Purchased as a single at Total Wine, Chantilly, VA; had never seen it before.

A - Root beer/rosewood-like appearance with a beige, frothy cap and minimal lacing. I see tiny bubbles but no yeast.

S - Fruit cake, bourbon, caramel and hops.

T - Complex and fascinating. It has a soft caramel swing to it but then moves towards dried figs, cinnamon and dark bread. Delicious. Reminds me of the German Aventinus.

M - Softly carbonated which in my view adds to the complexity it offers with each creamy sip.

D - I'm struggling to get by the 10% ABV, but confess this is one of the best ales I've had to date. World class drinkable stuff that I suppose could age beautifully, but I haven't the patience. Enjoy this one on its own in the best glass you own. Wow.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Sampled on 8-24-08
Batch 15

Pours a super cloudy orange color, very cool in the light. A foamy off-white head settles quickly, but leaves behind big, craggy lacing.

Smell is very Belgian, apple cider at first, with a spicy alcohol character coming through next. Lighter than some quads, but very complex.

Taste is pleasantly subtle, lots of fruit flavors, very fresh and tart. Slightly boozy on the finish, with a nice bitter, apple peel aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good, not too thick so it agrees with the lighter flavors.

Drinkability is very good, easy on the palate with well-managed alcohol.

Overall, not the typical quad, but I think a little age would do wonders.

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%

On tap at the Lazy Boy in White Plains.

A: Poured a super deep brown color. Just about the perfect looking quad. Barely had any head when it was brought to me and after about a minute it was all gone.

S: Nice dark fruit nose on this. The different yeasts and barley and hops make for a super dense nose. Too much to really pin down and isolate individual smells.

T: Dark fruit and yeast. Back and forth. Hints of plums and dates. Caramel and malt. Some spiciness and weird blasts of hops. Not in a hop bomb way though.

M: Nice thick body on this beer. The carbonation was low.

D: Really nice. Had this after a Dogfish 120 so anything is easy drinking after that. One of the better Quads I have had not made in Belgium. Glad I got to try this but I can never bring myself to plop down the 18 bucks to buy a bottle as there is too much good stuff out there for less.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Poured a raspberry-amber wit a foamy 2 finger beige head that settled quickly leveling to a sudsy thin layering. A slight rim lacing was left behind wit a light carbonation presence carrying on.

S: sweet and fruity with berries, sugar, and caramel apples.

T: The initial flavor was tart and acidic, with some sour apples, caramel and a sharp carbonation bite. There was some pears as well coming through. The beer finished with a yeasty fruity sourness, a bitter floral hoppiness, and a noticeable amount of alcohol fusels (cinnamon, brown sugar). The 10.0% abv makes itself know here as well as the four fermentation sessions producing a big yeasty character and bite.

M: light, oily, with a soft carbonation fizzle while it finished with a spicy and dry alcohol fade.

D: Drinkability was ok, with the hot and spicy alcohol fusels on the finish this is best reserved as a slow sipper where one bottle (1 pt. 9 oz) should be more then plenty for one person and probably best suited shared with a friend.

Saw this and the price was right and I haven't had many quads to begin with.

Color: Pours a medium brown color with a frothy one-finger head and what appears to be ample carbonation.

Aroma: Rich and malty with raisin and brown sugar. Kind of like a saison on overload. Mild hop bitterness on the nose as well. Nothing overwhelming. As it warms up, I can detect a little grape as well.

Taste: Very nice and malty upfront. Alcohol warmth is very apparent and I can detect brown sugar, raisin, grape and hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Alcohol warmth kind of overwhelms things but it is somewhat dry and malty on the tongue.

Drinkability: I should probably buy another bottle for aging. I think this ale needs to be properly aged before it becomes more drinkable. The alcohol warmth is almost too much for me, requiring it to be enjoyed in sips.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

750ml corked & caged brown bottle with no freshness date, although I think I bought it about a year ago. pours a cloudy amber with a one finger head, great longevity and excellent lace. Initial malt aromas mixed with sour apple, followed by a faint bready yeasty smell. Flavor of fruity malts, sour apple, sherry. alcohol does not come through until well after it is swallowed. Great initial smoothmess that gets a bit harsh once the alcohol kicks in. Nice malty aftertase though. This one could have used another year or two of aging, but it is still very nice.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

This bottle was aged - either the 1st (2004) or second (2005?) brewing of this unique Ale.
Ok, so I probably shouldnt have opened this bottle - but I did. Like so many things in life, this cannot be undone. Ya see, I chilled it down yesterday to take to a 4th of Hooray! party, but that didnt happen, the reasons for which are frankly none of anybodies business but my own.... but thats not why we are here.

Why I didnt save this to share with a buddy is my only real regret. But I figured if I visit and share it, I'd still end up drinking 1/2 of a 10%er after a couple or more warm up Double IPA's or something and I know from drinking this Allagash 4 stuff fresh, I dont want to mix this beer and a 30 mile drive home. So here I am, drinking alone, watching my Red Sox (for now) losing to those damn Yankmees and enjoying an absolutely fantastic american made, Belgian style Quad.

Chill hazed, rusty amber color with a firm and dense, light tan head. No carbonation visable, but indicated by the ring and film of foam that persisted till the beer was all gone. Specks of lace clung to the glass and refused to droop. Thats sticky baby!

The aromas reminds me very much of a Scaldis Bush - without the blast of alcohol. Very fruity with a rush of concentrated pear juice and carmelized sugar with distinct notes of sour apple and cherry. Some musty barnyard and alcohol mix in as well with an overall heady, brandy-like impression. Less hop aromas than a fresh bottle - more " Belgian".

Flavors of stewed fruit - more pears and apples with tart citrus and cherry/berry notes carried accross the tongue in a syrupy yet fluid river of toffee/caramel sweetness that warms the roof and back of the mouth with a pleasant singe of alcohol. Grain sweetness, fruity ester character and subdued alcohol all mesh completely in a blend of complex flavors that command appreciation without intimidation. A very well integrated, complex beer that retains a firm hop presence providing a long, mellow hop burn and tangy aftertaste. Reminds me of a De Ranke XX Bitter. ( High praise from me btw)

I was right. As drinkable as this is, 25oz kicked my butt. Sadly, I dont care now that I didnt share this with a friend, but I'm bummin because I know I'm not going anywhere, and I dont have another of these to drink.

** Cellaring note - (12 month temp range : 57 - 66 deg F) : If you have an Allagash 4 from 2004 - 2005 - try it NOW is my advice - especiallay if you have more than one. Some sour notes were noted on the fringes so 3-5 years may be peak or close to it. I remember 1 year didnt change it much.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

I picked up a bottle of this at Sam's Quik Stop in Durham a few weeks back. Anything by Allagash is worth trying, and quads have earned a special place in my heart. There!

It pours a dark amber with bright copper highlights, and the head of dense off-white bubbles stuck around for the duration of the beer's life. Aromas of rich, dark, ripe fruit and brown sugar waft up from the brew; warming, nose-tingling alcohol and roasted malts are also detectable.

The mouthfeel is thick and nearly syrupy, but not too much. It coats the tongue and provides a long-lasting textural experience. Carbonation is on the medium side; perhaps a little less than many of Allagash's offerings.

Spicy flavors of overripe, dried-out cherries dominate the front, while roasted malts fill the center of the taste experience. The finish is replete with caramel and hoppy flavors, and a sensation of warming alcohol and bread provide a pleasing aftertaste. Hops seem to be an afterthought here, and only serve to balance the malt-laden flavor.

This is a fine example of an American quadrupel. I highly recommend it to anyone seeking a representative example of the style.

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Light brown color, semi-clear, thin white ring of head that faded slowly

S- Dried fruits, figs, spices, yeast, slightly sweet

T- Spices, dark fruits, creamy, woody, dried fruits, bready

M- Medium body, low/medium carbonation, smooth, definite warming feeling

D- Worth buying

I wasn't overly impressed with this beer but it was still worth getting again. Good flavors and fairly easy to drink for the alcohol content.

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

I used a 12 oz brandy snifter for this one. Pours deep orange amber with a 1" head after a vigorous poor. This one just looks thick!

Aromas show beautiful earthy/woody components, honey, dried apricot, orange, cloves, and alcohol. Notes of yeasty bread, must, and pears come through as the beer warms.The dried apricot aromas start to shine as the beer approaches 60 degrees. Very complex aromas!!!

Flavors start up front with front with sweet alcohol and figs and dried fruit. Mid pallet brings out the earth, spice, and phenols. A nice long finish with medium bitterness.

A very nice beer! Unfortunately I opened up a Rochefort 8 right after I tasted this one and it kind of left the it in the dust. None the less.... some good stuff!

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

a: This was a clear yellowish copper color. It poured with an uneven craggy head that filled half the glass. As if fades, some sticks to the side of the glass.

s: I smell floral, fruity, alcoholic warmth. Strong scents of yeasty apple or cherry blossoms as well.

t: Up front strong flavors of bready yeasts with a bit of banana. Some sharp flavors of sour apple and cherry briefly emerge next. The finish is dry floral and peppery.

m: The carbonation is more aggressive than I'd like, peppery and effervescent.

d: This is a great example of an American quad, well worth seeking out.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

For this beer, you need to drink in the correct cup. I chose a snifter so I can get the full aroma of this highly potent beer.

The Beer gives a pre-warning color to the sophistication of this beer. In a pint glass, dark golden column surrounded by a medium gold or copper "jacket." When in a goblet, Dark molasses brown.

Like most Belgium ales, the smell gives you a misleading hint of light and soft cindery apple and pear.

Once you take the sip you realize the drink is not soft and light and DEFINITELY not a cider! Once the ale hits your lips, there is an explosion of deep rich flavors as dark as the color in the snifter immediately powers in your mouth.

The mouth feel is definitely one of strong but drinkable ale. The consistency of the ale falls in the middle of both thick and light. This holds a medium body, which proves to be a great platform to display all this layered flavor from the ale.

It is very hard to compare different types of beers, but of all the ales that I have had, this is the best one to date. The flavor and balance is top notch. It is a shame how hard to find this beer is.

Cheers Beer Enthusiasts!

4.29/5  rDev +5.1%

Allagash are difficult to get ahold of out here in Oregon. Had a snifter of this at the Publick House in Boston, and boy was it good!

reddish brown with foamy soapy looking head.

Awesome compolex aroma of dried fruit, hard candy, and a peppery alcohol spice.

Rasins and dark dried fruits are mingled with a mega dose of earthy malt, spicy yeast, and rich warm alcohol. This one intensifies as it warms up. Lingering aftertaste is a bit odd however, can't put my finger on it. After my relatively small glass of it, i already was feeling the 10%. It's hidden fairly well. If I guessed the abv, i'd have put it around 8%.

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

A - Dark honey orange, slightly opaque. Good head reduces fast, leaves small head. Clingly soapy lace with good retention.

S- Has classical Belgium nose. Belgium yeast, slightly sweet, smell some wood and spice, too.

T - Nice balance. Cooked fruit, honey and spice.

M - Almost too carb for my taste, but consistent with style. Medium body, good coating.

D- It's good.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

At Manderes' Allagash tasting

A - Opaque orange color, with a light head, which dissipates quick.

S - Oaky, honey, with slight alcohol.

T - Coriander, oak, pear, and honey.

M - Excellent mouth feel. Very light, very satisfying.

D - Somebody get me a light cigar. Excellent, yet different from many of the quads I've had, which tend to have a much richer character, yet this one was more enjoyable.

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from 750ml bottle into red wine glass.

A - Slightly hazy brown with small off-white head, to be expected with the alcohol content. Recedes to off-white collar.

S - Overripe fruit, bread, some nuttiness all before caramel and alcohol. Very pleasing.

T - Lots of caramel upfront with dark fruit background. Sweetness increases and brings sweet spices like ginger, cinnamon, even cardamom; and then late palate bitter, earthy hops hit followed by strong alcohol burn. Finish is a little bitter but mostly consists of alcohol warmth.

M - I'm not feeling this department much. A little thinner than what I expected with entirely too much carbonation. This carbonation is what messes with the taste so much. The body could be forgiven but the high carbonation and high alcohol is quite unappealing with the deep flavors.

D - High carbonation on a beer that isn't really refreshing is just a strange combination that doesn't entice me to drink more. The noticable alcohol makes for a slightly rough finish as well.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into snifter (I've had this cellaring for over 3 yrs).
A: Pours a very cloudy, dense dark golden tan with very thin head (I'm guessing due to the cellaring).
S: Strong yeast, almost more cracker-like than bread-like. Drier and more astringent. Spice and dried fruit come through as well.
T: Raisin, date, clove, and a hint of cinnamon. Strong yeast. ABV well balanced with the sugar. As this warms, notes of vanilla come through.
M: Actually a fairly light mouth feel with slight effervescence. Surprisingly, mild carbonation continues to be kicked up with each swirl of the glass.
D: A good, but not great quadrupel. However, I feel this may have over-aged, so I will have to come back to this one again. Hints of complexity, but falls a little flat and short of expectations. A very interesting brew and one I would recommend at least trying.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a copper/deep amber with a three-finger, rocky off-white head that fades slowly leaving lots of sticky lacing.

Smells of sweet caramel malts, candied sugar and Belgian yeast. There are some undertones of dark dried fruits and hints of alcohol and floral hops.

Taste is candied sugar and caramel malt up front. Dark fruits and toffee lead into some tart green apples and a dry finish. Some nutty flavors, like almonds maybe, make their way out as it warms.

Medium-bodied, smooth mouthfeel.

Drinks well enough, but it is a bit sweet and high in alcohol to drink too much of this on its own. Paired pretty well with a grilled steak and some sauteed veggies.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance is a hazy brown with amber highlights. Thick, off-white head like meringue that stuck around for a long time and dissipated to a thick cap.

Smell is fruit-fresh apple, pear, a bit of mustiness. Definite light hops presence. Slightly sweet, alcohol really comes through as it warms.

Taste up front is fruits, apple, grape, dried apricot. Vinous, definite alcohol warming that sticks to the top of my mouth and warms my chest as it goes down. A bit of sourness comes through as it warms.

Thick, creamy mouthfeel, low to medium carbonation. Coats my entire mouth with fruit sweetness, but not cloying. Very drinkable brew for the abv.

3.71/5  rDev -9.1%

A tower of nice, fluffy, fine-bubbled, cream-colored head leaves thick rings of lacing at the sip lines of this slightly hazy brown-amber brew.

Smell is fruity and sweet; hints of dates, cloves, a whiff of alcohol;

Taste is complex; both darkly sweet and citrus-tangy, with unsulphured molasses, brown sugar, Karo Syrup, raisins, orange, grapefruit; a vague piney hop presence, coriander, followed by some banana thing going on, and significant alcohol warming lurking beyond the aftertaste...

Drinking this beer is easy; defining its flavor profile is most certainly not; I'm leaving stuff out of the flavor description just so you won't wind up thinking I'm either tripping or making this shit up. Too sweet.

Creamy in the mouth with a nice drying finish.

FOUR is interesting, and even considering the exceptional/excessive sweetness and 10% ABV, drinking this one bomber's no struggle, but I wouldn't really want a second.

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

A big, complex brew. Color is a clear deep coppery red-amber. Dense tan head of foam. Aroma is clovey and yeasty. Taste is sweet malts and yeast with cloves and nutmeg spices. Low carbonation. Buttery texture left in the mouth. Alcohol is well masked, though, after a few swallows, there is no denying the power of this quad. Very good pairing with roasted meat, I would imagine. I had it with a home cooked burger and enjoyed the tandem. Almost too sweet on its own, though.

I appreciate the complexity of flavors and the smoothness of the Four, in the same realm as a good strong dark Belgian ale like the Chimay, but I wouldn't choose this to have everyday. Too sweet, mainly.

3.53/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Ruddy amber with a slight haze, lighter in color than any other quad I've seen. The head starts off strong but doesn't retain very well.

Smell: Lots of fruity esters; dried fruit and preserves come to mind. Brown sugar and raisins. Sweeter than I like a quad to be.

Taste & mouthfeel: Esters again; the taste is close to the nose with big flavors of preserved fruit, bananas, raisins and figs. Medium-bodied and highly effervescent. Dries up a bit in the finish, lending a bit of balance to an otherwise sweet profile.

Notes: Decent stuff, but clearly not the best quad around.

Allagash Four from Allagash Brewing Company