Allagash Four - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 03-26-2004

We brew this beer with four malts, four sugars, four hop varieties and we ferment it four times, using four different yeast strains. The complexity of the brewing process is matched by the complexity of this unique beer. Flavors of raisin, candied fruit and plum express themselves throughout.
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Shimmering scarlet red hue. Thick crop of whipped white foam on top. Retention is outstanding. Fine beads of carbonation rise quite aggressively.

Aroma: Candy, must, yeast and cookie dough. Grapes and plums. And slight pepper tones.

Taste: Spicy taste to this. Though I don't think a lot of spices were used if any, I can perceive ginger, corriander, black pepper and nutmeg. All blended nicely. The malts are soft and biscuity. The yeastiness is doughy.

Mouthfeel: Light and airy. Medium body.

Drinkability: Alcohol is nowhere to be seen. This is nicely put together and quite drinkable.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

750mL bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a murky brownish red color with four fingers of head (coincidence with this beer?). There is a bit of lacing on the glass. The smell is very rich and sweet. Lots of brown sugar and dark fruit aromas present. Nice and complex. The taste is fairly sweet. Super malty with lots of plums and dates. It finishes slightly dry though, with a hint of alcohol. The mouthfeel is decently thick and strong, and the drinkability is surprising for 10%. A decent take at a quad.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Another killer from Allagash. Really high end stuff from the guys up in Maine. Nice light brown color with ruby highlights and a pretty decent foamy head that lasts. Smell and taste are very complex. I like complex. Really fruity, really sweet. This is one of those beers where if you try to smell it, you will smell it. And taste it too. Basically choose your own adventure. What I mean by that is that if you're thinking of cherries you'll taste it in the beer. If you're thinking about pears you'll taste it in the beer. Etc... The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries for christ's sake!! Super smooth mouthfeel and despite the 10% this is a really drinkble quad. Bueno.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Note: The bottle that I'm basing this review on is quite different from the sweeter bottles I've sampled in the past. However, I've only recently purchased this and have no idea of how it was stored, or for how long. But, based on my past experiences, this beer needs to be aged a bit (6 months?) to bring it to complete attenuation and proper carbonation level.

A hazy, crimson-accented chestnut robe is capped by a creamy, dark ivory head that holds well (given its strength) before dropping to a wide collar, and leaves rings of craggy lace about the goblet. The nose is typically Belgian in nature with it's yeasty phenols, fruit and spice dominating over its lightly sugar-ish, delicately caramelish, and somewhat nutty maltiness. Alcohol can also be found, but it's not obtrusive. The body is medium-light; and it's zesty on the palate initially with a very fine-bubbled, natural carbonation. However, it becomes a bit more airy as it warms (as is common). In the flavor, the alcohol is a little bit more apparent; there's a touch of bubblegum to the phenols; and the maltiness has more of a brown sugar character to it - but it's basically what the nose suggests it should be. The yeastiness is very much like Chimay, and to be honest, this is very much like a more attenuated version of their Grande Reserve. It finishes dry with a slap of spicy alcohol and yeasty phenols, but not much more. A bit more residual malt might be nice; but I understand that's a hard beast to control when it comes to bottle-conditioned beers! Try it and see what you think!

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a deep dark orange-amber. Small but long-lasting head with Pollock-like lace.

Buttery cream aromas up front. The yeast bite is secondary in the nose. There are also notes of orange zest and nutmeg.

Very smooth rich texture. Higher carbonation than expected but it isn't distracting. The flavor on the initial sip is largely a dry malt flavor that is quickly gives way to a rush of carbonation. The flavor comes out strongly on the swallow. There's a blend of orange, alcohol and a touch of sweetness. The aftertaste is astringent hop bitterness that was not noticable before.

This is a potent brew with tremendous amount of flavor and complexity. There are elements of dryness and sweetness, richness and carbonation--a very interesting beer.

3.61/5  rDev -11.5%

Caged and corked bomber.
Aroma: A fruit bowl of smells; apricot, plum, white grape, all in a rich brown sugar sauce. Very slight floral hop aroma present as well.
Appearance: Translucent brown glass started with a respectable head of off white froth that quickly disappeared. A very thin collar remained but left no lace. Wonder if my cork was a bit off, but it gave a solid pop after a struggle to get it off.
Flavor: Sweet, a bit too sweet, almost cloying. Taste is strangely neutral. It finishes with a brief flurry of all the fruit tastes, but the main flavor is just a sugary sweet almost wine like flavor. Very little alcohol flavor noted, but a little heat.
Mouthfeel: Thick heavy body with almost no carbonation noted.
Overall Impression: A specialty beer to be sure. It’s really too sweet and too light in flavor, which is ironic since it’s so heavy in body. An odd one to be sure, I’m going to have to pair it with some salty or dry food to enjoy the full bomber.
Worth a try, but don’t kill yourself seeking it.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

Served room temp. Poured a pretty amber with a nice thick head. Held the still mostly full bottle up to a candle. Pretty shadows were cast against the wall. Stubborn lace clung to the glass. The aroma is of brown sugar and nutmegs. The flavor kind of wraps around the tongue. Malty and sweet, but with a nice alcohol kick. 4 hops were used? I can see that, but none particularly jump out. Also tones of citrus, nutmeg, vanilla and coriander come through. The mouthfeel was a little heavy, I wonder if it would change if it was cold. There is only a slight taste of alcohol, but nothing that takes away from the drinkability. I like this beer, I like this beer a lot.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Caged & corked erupts with a “Powoip!” Pours into a Duvel with a huge 50/50 beer/head. Four is golden ruby brown hues, tight constant bubble streams and a huge thick statuesque antique white mountainous head cap that settles slowly down the glass.

Sugary yeasty scents of vanilla extract and waffle malts.

Candi fruit and Maple Syrup notes. Some lingering dry flour aftertaste. Some signature ALLAGASH yeast strand is detectable. Dark fruit flavors consist of a hint towards ripe bananas, Dr. Pepper and some nutmeg spices and cocoa.

Medium body. Gentle carbonation that just tickles the tongue. 10 % ABV is barely tangible.

Last swigs: Cocoa meets some mixed dark fruit notes. Well done Quad example in a traditional Belgian style. Not too daring, rather a solid one trick pony.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

1pt 9.4 fl oz.

Foamy, pillowy off-white head with very solid retention. Thin and condensed lace with above average strength. Slightly hazy, rustic burgundy in color.

Sour apple, lemon, orange: moderate tart aromatics. Faint musty odor accompanied by a mild spiciness: pepper and light corriander.

Moderate tartness at first: green apple and grapefruit. A burst of carbonation is joined by a touch of pepper and oak that breaks up the initial sour quality. The most prominent flavor is a caramel, toffee, and chocolate character lasting well into the aftertaste.

Medium bodied; a bit too coarse on the palate but not terribly intrusive.

The 10%abv is extremely well hidden in this ale so be careful. A good ale; nothing more, nothing less. A nice treat, but there are better versions of the style out there.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I regret having only one of this beer. I open it to find a more coppery color than I expect. A fine bubbled head appears and stays until I ask it to leave. I do so with ham and wasabi mustard. This is well made. I always expect to enjoy American (or Canadian ...Unibroue is the serious good) Belgians. I know that some say they're not as good as the "real" Belgians. But...hey....these are freshies and most real Belgians are not...
This pours as a very well made beer. It drinks as a very well made beer. I will drink North American "belgian" Beer as long as it's made...This is in a very respectful 750. I had an Allagash #2 Grand Cru within the last year and I wish you could have been here it was so well done.

Smell is fruit and nuts. Taste is sweet and spice. Mouthfeel is prickly and smooth. I will search out more tomorrow. I hope I find more.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Large bottle, that I put away in my beer celler (a brown paper bag in the back of a closet) for about 6-8 months ago. Corked and caged. Opened with a burst of carbonation. pours a rich, murky, cloudy shade of dark amber. hoists a light tan head, which slowly recedes to a tiny bubble film. This fine elixir leaves stringy soft lacing behind. Nose is full of spice and alcohol notes. Tangy, spicy, fruity Belgian yeast notes. lots of fresh fruit, doughy malt offerings and some chaotic chemistry and wonder going on in this complex dandy. Finishes with notes of rum soaked apricots. Very drinkable and a hefty 10%! This one really benefitted with the extra time in the bottle. I imagine it would continue to improve for quite some time. Seek out, stow away, wait and enjoy!

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Good yeast and some cherry, pink grapefuit, grainy and grapefruit texture and medium mouthfeel. Carbonation. Understated in sweetness and fruit flavour.
My drinking buddy liked this a lot more than I did. Smooth but not very tasty nor complex. A good beer, but not the best quad I have had.

Pours a bright hazy reddish-orange color with a nice off-white head that leaves a sticky lacing in my glass. Sweet fruity aromas, flavors of plums, cherries and spicy pepper. Full bodied with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel, alcohol well hidden, finishes a bit sweet.

4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

A quadruple brewed with 4 malts, 4 hops, fermented 4 times, released 4/4/04...you get the theme.

"Brewed with four malts, four hops, four sugars and four Belgian yeast strains. During the mashing process, we add Date Sugar to the mash tun. Later, during the boil, we add Light Candi, Dark Candi, and Light Golden Molasses. After primary fermentation with the first strain of yeast, we add more Candi Sugar, and referment the beer with a secondary strain of yeast... that process is then repeated with a third strain of yeast, and finally a fourth for bottle conditioning in the cellar."

Pours out to a murky deep caramel amber, forming a tall soapy and dense light tan to dark beige head with excellent retention and solid sheets of lacing, thanks it part to it's vigorous carbonation (which blew the cork out of the bottle like champagne). The aroma is heavenly, like Maudite or La Fin du Monde with that distinctive fruity and spicy dryness that "The Yeast Strain" imparts, especially in higher gravity brews like this. Tart red apples, cloves, basement dust, swirling pulls out some lacto and brett...man, it's tough to pick up on all that's going here, needless to say it's intoxicating. Mouthfeel is light and airy, pillowy smooth, vibrant, alive...this stuff is kicking. Deceptively medium bodied. Taste...wowza. Starts spicy with lots of clove and phenolic esters, then blends harmoniously into this perfect sweet/tart mix of Belgian Funk and sticky malts. The bitterness is spicy and floral and perfectly balanced with the malts. Peppery flourishes wisp upon the tongue alerting you to it's strength but never becoming obtrusive or detracting from the brew. A slightly toasted graininess hangs on the back of your tongue in the finish. Expertly fermented, especially considering the complexity and depth of this brew.

What can I say..I don't use the words "perfect", "expert", "heavenly", or "intoxicating" too often in my reviews, but this one has it all. What a fucking awesome creation. Props to Rob Tod and the crew for such a divine creation. Give those boys a Gold Star. I will now have to reshuffle my Top-Ten list, damnit.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Before I start, I must say this is the first belgian style quad I've ever had, so keep that in mind. Edit: except for Three Philosophers, but I dont find that to be like this at all.
Doesnt have the head normally associated with Belgian style beers...it forms a decent one with the pour, but it quickly fades. Once poured, its an opaque brownish-orange; can not see through it. Seems to me to be very reminiscent of a dubbel. Not as hearty as I would have expected from a quad. The alcohol is masked completely though, even as it warms. Even as its not as hardy as I would expect, I still think it tastes very good...I find it hard to distinguish the flavors as they blend very nicely. The mouthfeel is where this beers fails though. The carbonation is prickly (that term has never been more appropriate), and the beer is lighter then expected. The carbonation issue I find the most troubling. I had no trouble finishing this off in one sitting, but I dont think I'd revisit it. I have a Victory 12 yet to be drank, and I'd like to try some true belgian quads for comparison, but as it stands, I find this good, but underwhelming. Certainly better then their grand cru, which is the only other Allagash I've had at this point, however.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

I think this bottle lost a bit of carbonation.
Pours a deep translucent amber - almost brown - color, with a very small head, even with a very agressive pour into my tulip glass. Smell is complex, with both fruityness and yeast. Taste is wonderfully complex. Honey. Warm sourdough bread. Mango. Pear. A bit of hops to balance. No hint of the 10% ABV. Mouthfeel is dry and sweet/spicy, with less carbonation than I'd like - (again, I think my bottle lost a bit of it's carbonation.) Pretty drinkable for a quad. A decent ale, but not worth the price IMHO.

3.57/5  rDev -12.5%

Allagash Four (750 ml):

Not bad, but I'd expect more of a Quad from Allagash. Sometimes I think it just needs to sleep for a while...but it would have to be Sleeping-fuckin'-Beauty to bring this up to par. Thin mouthfeel…kind of yeasty and characterless when compared to serious quads. This beer is a Unibroue La Terrible wanna-be…but it simply just falls short.

Cheers…

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

The beer pours an amber/brown color with a thin offwhite lace head. The aroma is awesome. It has a warm, yet extremely fruity scent that boasts of pale and crystal malts along with a Belgian yeast aroma. It smells like strawberries, but I think that is from the use of many malts and hops. It is very balanced. The taste is good. It has a wonderful warm malty flavor that goes down smooth and finishes a bit tart and citrousy. I love the complexity of this beer. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good drinking beer. It has great aroma and flavor; by far the best beer Allagash has come out with.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

Pours with a dark amber body, and a thin, frothy white head with heavy lace. Very fruity smells, almost tropical. Taste is a bit milder than the smell, with light fruitiness, a bit of banana and lemon, and slight yeast and hops notes. Not much alchohol flavor for such a high ABV. Very soda-ish mouthfeel, with a lot of carbonation. A fairly pleasant beer.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Opens with a huge pop and smoking, pours an opaquely cloudy ruby-brown topped with a one finger tan head, leaves partial webs of lacing.
Malty, powdery aroma, vinuous and sweet.
Sweet, malty taste, warming, fruity - strawberry note, grape, pepper, spice cake, raisin, brown sugar and carrot, kind of like carrot cake.
Full bodied, incredibly drinkable for the ABV.

4.72/5  rDev +15.7%

Light brown in color with a thin, fuzzy white head. Soft, yeasty aroma of dark, alcohol-soaked fruits and bready, distinctly Belgian yeast element.

Mmmm...sooo drinkable for its alcohol content. Explosion of the same elements in the aroma across the tongue, with a slick, alcoholic finish. Unbelievably drinkable, with great mouthfeel.

I'm in love.

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

Hazy, pale orange he, nestled under a neat creamy white head, thin, but steady...aroma? nicely spicy and citric, intriquing and utterly lovely, ...let's go in once again...yeast is prominent, too, and I anticipate it's acitvity in the flavor, as well, so let's taste away...
Big, beautiful mouthfeel, huge presence in the palate, wondrously fresh and delicious and spilling over with fruity, spicy flavor...yum, yum...yeast is big, again, floats right on top, and delivers delciousness. Hey, I like this one, I like plenty! Full-bodied, long, persistent, ever-present finish, lush mouthfeel. Every new sip brings fresh zesty, buoyant taste.
I really can't recommend this highly enough...I've said "yum" already, what more you need to know?
Cheers to bennybrew for providing!

4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

This may be my favorite beer. I've always figured that there's no point in drinking American brewed, Belgian style beers when you could have an authentic Belgian. That all changed when I tried this beast.
I poured this into a small glass that I usually reserve for good Scotch. A dark amber beer that has a nice, off-white head. The beautiful hop aroma gives way to a magnificent taste that has hops and dark fruits dancing with a true Belgium character. The taste just lingers in your mouth and throat all night. This is a beer that truely needs to be experienced to understand. I think I could drink this and nothing else for the rest of my life. Thank you Allagash.

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Dark amber-brown body, small white head. The smell is fruit punch like. The flavor is of light fruit, a medium alcohol flavor in the middle and a very little hop finish. The mouth feel has a light carbonation bite. This is a good winter beer, the alcohol will creep up on you and make you forget about the temperature.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

This came in a 750ml bottle corked and caged. This poured out a mahogany color body with about a fourth inch off white head. No lacing was left as this was consumed. Aroma is full of a malty sweetness with a strong dark fruit presence. Taste is sweet and spicy with a strong fruitiness. There are traces of the alcohol present as well and a spicy aftertaste. Mouthfeel is almost full with a creamy texture. Drinkability is good as well, I would definitely have this again. Give this one try if you come across it.

Allagash Four from Allagash Brewing Company