Allagash Four - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash FourAllagash Four

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

We brew this beer with four malts, four sugars, four hop varieties and we ferment it four times, using four different yeast strains. The complexity of the brewing process is matched by the complexity of this unique beer. Flavors of raisin, candied fruit and plum express themselves throughout.

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 03-26-2004)

maketheheartglad, May 27, 2013

takIANbacksunday, Nov 29, 2011

Kwak78, Jun 19, 2014
4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

Presentation-The bottle is really simple but at the same time really nice. I like how at the neck it almost has a "bomber" style look to it.

Appearence-A really nice bright, cloudy copper look. Almost between a red and gold combined. Just nice.

Smell-Lots of great malts for sure. You dont get too strong of a hop presence even though it does have four different types of malts. IDK how they were able to subdue it. A candy sweet smell thats soft and light.

Taste-At first you do notice that this quadruple is quite sweet. But its really really nice. Not too strong and just right. Malts are really mellow, alcohol is present. Almost some kind of belgian candy mix.

Mouthfeel-Suble carbonation, nothing overpowering. Settles nicely on the palate and draws and finishes very well. I would say wet. Very lively has a lot of feel to it.

Overall-IDK why but this is one of my favorite beers. I freaken love it. Just a nice beer to drink and enjoy. So good.

ales4baldo, Nov 21, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

A quadruple brewed with 4 malts, 4 hops, fermented 4 times, released 4/4/04...you get the theme.

"Brewed with four malts, four hops, four sugars and four Belgian yeast strains. During the mashing process, we add Date Sugar to the mash tun. Later, during the boil, we add Light Candi, Dark Candi, and Light Golden Molasses. After primary fermentation with the first strain of yeast, we add more Candi Sugar, and referment the beer with a secondary strain of yeast... that process is then repeated with a third strain of yeast, and finally a fourth for bottle conditioning in the cellar."

Pours out to a murky deep caramel amber, forming a tall soapy and dense light tan to dark beige head with excellent retention and solid sheets of lacing, thanks it part to it's vigorous carbonation (which blew the cork out of the bottle like champagne). The aroma is heavenly, like Maudite or La Fin du Monde with that distinctive fruity and spicy dryness that "The Yeast Strain" imparts, especially in higher gravity brews like this. Tart red apples, cloves, basement dust, swirling pulls out some lacto and brett...man, it's tough to pick up on all that's going here, needless to say it's intoxicating. Mouthfeel is light and airy, pillowy smooth, vibrant, alive...this stuff is kicking. Deceptively medium bodied. Taste...wowza. Starts spicy with lots of clove and phenolic esters, then blends harmoniously into this perfect sweet/tart mix of Belgian Funk and sticky malts. The bitterness is spicy and floral and perfectly balanced with the malts. Peppery flourishes wisp upon the tongue alerting you to it's strength but never becoming obtrusive or detracting from the brew. A slightly toasted graininess hangs on the back of your tongue in the finish. Expertly fermented, especially considering the complexity and depth of this brew.

What can I say..I don't use the words "perfect", "expert", "heavenly", or "intoxicating" too often in my reviews, but this one has it all. What a fucking awesome creation. Props to Rob Tod and the crew for such a divine creation. Give those boys a Gold Star. I will now have to reshuffle my Top-Ten list, damnit.

Mitchster, Nov 16, 2004
4.97/5  rDev +21.8%

This may be my favorite beer. I've always figured that there's no point in drinking American brewed, Belgian style beers when you could have an authentic Belgian. That all changed when I tried this beast.
I poured this into a small glass that I usually reserve for good Scotch. A dark amber beer that has a nice, off-white head. The beautiful hop aroma gives way to a magnificent taste that has hops and dark fruits dancing with a true Belgium character. The taste just lingers in your mouth and throat all night. This is a beer that truely needs to be experienced to understand. I think I could drink this and nothing else for the rest of my life. Thank you Allagash.

GDMFSOB, Oct 27, 2004
4.93/5  rDev +20.8%

We were lucky enough to get some of this in our local Bevmo here in Fresno. Looks like we'll be getting the primo Allagash stuff regularly. We had a fair amount of the Curieaux come through and then this. So, I'm happy about that.

Since I already reviewed this on draft. I'll just give a general synopsis about why this was just way better out of the bottle. Everything is basically the same just cranked up. The head was about an inch and a quarter. The hops came through much more out of the bottle, it was definitely present and added more complexity to the scent and taste. The mouthfeel was more of what I expected.

Grab a bottle. If you can afford it, get a few and age them. This seems like a beer that would develop excellently when aged.

GoreStorm, Nov 02, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +19.6%

Another outstanding beer from Allagash. Rapidly becoming one of my fav brewers. I've been holding onto a bunch of these for months. I just couldn't bring my self to open open (if I drink one I'll only have 5 left). Finally broke down and drank one for Thanksgiving Eve; had to rationalize it). Anyway, aroma was great. Even though there are four malts in this, I really didn't notice it or the hops. What I really noticed was the cherry and ruby port. Head was creamy, light-brown, excellent lacing, that mostly diminished. Color was dark amber. Heavy sweet initial flavor that lessens. Definitely can taste the malt now. Finish was very long. The body was not as full as some quads. Texture was syrupy and flat with incredibly little if any alcohol finish. One of my favorite quads. It was very smooth without too much cherry, like Three Phils. Very interested to see how this matures. Now only if Allagash would distribute to Georgia.

doubleipa, Nov 25, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

Light brown in color with a thin, fuzzy white head. Soft, yeasty aroma of dark, alcohol-soaked fruits and bready, distinctly Belgian yeast element.

Mmmm...sooo drinkable for its alcohol content. Explosion of the same elements in the aroma across the tongue, with a slick, alcoholic finish. Unbelievably drinkable, with great mouthfeel.

I'm in love.

RockyTopHeel, Oct 28, 2004

craft_is_king, Aug 16, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

For this beer, you need to drink in the correct cup. I chose a snifter so I can get the full aroma of this highly potent beer.

The Beer gives a pre-warning color to the sophistication of this beer. In a pint glass, dark golden column surrounded by a medium gold or copper "jacket." When in a goblet, Dark molasses brown.

Like most Belgium ales, the smell gives you a misleading hint of light and soft cindery apple and pear.

Once you take the sip you realize the drink is not soft and light and DEFINITELY not a cider! Once the ale hits your lips, there is an explosion of deep rich flavors as dark as the color in the snifter immediately powers in your mouth.

The mouth feel is definitely one of strong but drinkable ale. The consistency of the ale falls in the middle of both thick and light. This holds a medium body, which proves to be a great platform to display all this layered flavor from the ale.

It is very hard to compare different types of beers, but of all the ales that I have had, this is the best one to date. The flavor and balance is top notch. It is a shame how hard to find this beer is.

Cheers Beer Enthusiasts!

Reggae4203, Jun 04, 2013

Vdub1803, Feb 16, 2014

athomasPSU, Dec 13, 2013
4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Had on tap at Great Lost Bear. Its actually fairly hazy in the glass, a big turn on for me. This beer actually blew my mind. It is absolutely one of the best I have ever had the privilege of drinking. Fairly sweet, but with a cutting edge that managed to quickly dispel any and all other flavors. Smooth, yet not overpowering, the alcohol is really well masked here. Definitely a beer worth buying again.

Bowdoinbeerboy, Oct 05, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +15.2%

Beer: Allagash Four
Brewer: Allagash Brewing Company. Maine, United States
Style: Belgian Quadrupel (QUAD)
ABV: 10%

Beer Advocate: Jay Avery
Rating: A+

Allagash four was recommended to me from my buddy Scot Wood. The only other Allagash brew I've tried was the white and for a Belgian white, it's up there in my top 5. As far as this one goes, it is a really BIG BEER. The Allagash Four Belgian QUAD contains 4 malts, 4 hops, fermented 4 times with 4 types of yeasts and 4 different sugars. It's about as complex as it gets. Here's my review...

Presentation:
Reviewed 02/24/2011 750ml Bottle corked and caged Batch # 21. Aged 9 months poured into an Affligem Goblet. Stored in my fridge at 37 degrees, I took the bottle out and let is stand for 20 minutes. I gave it a slow pour then let it stand for another 5 mins. I'm pretty close to 50 degrees at the first sip and it only gets better and more flavorful as it warms.

Appearance:
This one pours a thick amber caramel bronze color with a thin, soapy cappuccino head. Lacing quickly dissipates and the head retention is mediocre at best.

Smell:
Immediately I get an earthy spiced oak barrel nose with fruity esters and a hint of molasses with a bit of sour cherry supplication.

Mouthfeel:
Soft but full bodied almost chewy with a tingle from the carbonation on the backend that lingers on your lips just a bit after each sip. This one is a lot creamier than I expected and thick thru and thru.

Taste:
To say this beer is complex is the tip of the iceberg. No apparent hoppines for me but rich, thick and bready fruitcake with a plum body up front. I get some midrange heat from the 10% abv then it I'm hit with a sugary caramelized malty finish. This one is super Intense, I can truly appreciate the amount of work it took to bring this brew to life!

Drinkability:
A definite beast of a beer and still it does a much better job at masking the alcohol content than a lot of 10's out there, I compare this one to a Trappistes Rochefort 10, only smoother and without the phenolic bite. Dangerously drinkable! I've finished 25cl so far and as I wrap up this review, I'm already too impaired to go grab another bottle. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get more. An awesome quad that stands up in its class to the likes of St. Bernardus 12 and the rest of the 1st class Belgian Quads! If you're into Belgian Stong Darks/Quads and the spicy complexity that comes along with 'em, this is a must try brew! I give it an A+

jayavery, Feb 25, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

Bought this a couple months ago at WholeFoods in Raleigh, NC, thinking I would let it age a year or two. Didn't happen. Couldn't resist.

Appears in the Moinette goblet with a superbly creamy head; not huge but it sticks around for the entire session. Lace sticks and webs its way around the goblet, and the color is a gorgeous dark copper-ruby that utterly glows when held up to light.

Aroma is quite fruity, strawberries and raspberries especially coming through, enhanced with the dirtying influence of yeast, and just a kiss of chocolate way back there. I'm surprised to be reminded of Avery's Kaiser here.

My first impression of the flavor isn't the flavor, but the mouthfeel. This is an element of reviewing I've never quite been comfortable with, as I can't often find a whole lot to say about how a beer "feels". I have a lot to learn there. And the flavor usually takes most of my attention. But Allagash Four feels like sex. Velvety smooth, a buttery layer coating the mouth, just enough sizzle to keep an edge on things. It also hangs in the mouth big and fluffy, and after a time a dryness comes along, begging you to take another sip.

Oh right, the flavor. Also amazing. A chocolate milk-like sweetness prevails, wrapped around incredibly succulent berry flavors; vanilla; unsugared cookie dough; It avoids being too sweet, and also avoids being too obvious. The four malts and four hops have evolved into something entirely different than what they were at their starting points. All this, and the 10% alcohol hangs back, only offering a pleasant warming glow. Super.

Ohmygodd...despite a 10% ABV, this is an extremely drinkable beer, enjoyable to the last drop, not too light or heavy, ridiculously flavorful, looks and feels amazing. Would be great at a beer bar with friends, as accompaniment to a cookout, or just by yourself in a contemplative, restful mood. Can't remember what I paid for it, and I don't care...I'll pay whatever they're asking to get more. Fantastic.

Metalmonk, Dec 09, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

Special thanks are in order for wagenvolks for sending me this brew in a trade.

The appearance is a brew that is a tawney/garnett color with a light biege foamy head that features exceptional retention and good lacing.

The smell is very 'belgian-esque'. Yeasty, spicy and tons of sugar sweetness and dark fruits.

The taste is a symphony of flavors ranging from sweet to spicy and even a bit of tartness and kiss of alcohol warmth. very sweet and complex, absolutely delcious.

The feel this medium bodied brew is super silky and has soft but highly fizzy carbonation. I could go for a bit fuller of a body, but overall pretty good feel.

One of my favorite styles and this is one of the premier examples. Excellent cap to my night.

bonsreeb85, Mar 04, 2010