2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Allagash Four - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash FourAllagash Four

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

We brew this beer with four malts, four sugars, four hop varieties and we ferment it four times, using four different yeast strains. The complexity of the brewing process is matched by the complexity of this unique beer. Flavors of raisin, candied fruit and plum express themselves throughout.

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 03-26-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 376-400 | 401-425 | 426-450  | next › last »
Ratings: 789 | Reviews: 445 | Show All Ratings:
Pencible

4.6/5  rDev +13%

Had this on cask at Rustico's Glassware Giveaway (served after they ran out of Black). I've really been enjoying Belgians lately, and this was certainly no exception. It was a hazy dark amber with some light tan head. It smelled a bit faint, but like creamy Belgian yeast and mulling spices and toffee. Delicious. It tasted similar to the smell, but bolder and with a lot of nuances and complexities that I'm sure I missed (split this pint with a friend, and had already had a couple pints before). My main thought was how surprisingly similar this tasted to St. Bernardus, which is one of my all-time favorites. However, the key difference was the body and feel. Despite Four being on cask, St. Bernardus from a bottle somehow manages to be much smoother and silkier. Four was a little thin and flat. I'd probably normally give the mouthfeel a 4, but considering it was on cask, I had to dock it a half point for not living up to my hopes/expectations. Otherwise, this was a very enjoyable beer. Great to sip and contemplate, but all to easy to gulp.

Serving type: cask

03-11-2009 17:04:40 | More by Pencible
Mora2000

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a medium-dark brown with a huge, fluffy white head. The beer is a little hazy and is not see-through. A great looking beer.

Smell is dark fruits, lots of raisins and some Belgian yeast.

The taste has some dark fruits, as well as some caramel malt and some sweetness which I guess is from the candi sugar. I don't get any alcohol in the flavor. It can't be easy to hide all the alcohol flavor and aroma in a 10 percent beer, but Allagash has pulled it off. The beer does give you a warming sensation in your chest, absolutely wonderful.

As large as the head was, the beer is not that carbonated which I really appreciate. The beer is not that thick in the mouthfeel, making it easy to drink. At 10 percent, this is very drinkable and could be dangerous since you can't taste any of the alcohol. A great beer.

11-03-2009 04:21:43 | More by Mora2000
curtisb8

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Brown creamy color, nice medium head poured in a frosty mug. Great citrus flavor that tantalized our nariz like no other. Smooth citrus flavor, nice hop blend, and a little sweet finish. The finish might be the best part, as I cashed the brew and sat contemplating the sweet, citrus, hoppy aftertaste. Fantastic! Give it a try if you have the thumb strength to pop the top!

02-23-2006 03:12:32 | More by curtisb8
dnichols

Washington

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured a 750 ml caged and corked bottle into a challis.

A: It poured a deep amber brown with a slight beige head and modest to non-existent

S: There was the strong presence dark malts (some roasted, some burnt, others light ans sweet), spices including pepper and nutmeg, and dark fruits (figs and plums). This is a complex beer with a bright bold aroma.

T: It has the flavor of English toffee, a hint of dark chocolate, and a dash of spices including white pepper and allspice.

M: Medium to full-body with a creamy smooth as silk demeanor. No matter how much I wanted to retain it in my mouth so I could enjoy the rich flavors it seemed to demand to be swallowed. It has a bit of warm alcohol finish but there is no residual bitterness or alcohol burn. Smooth and creamy.

D: I enjoy this great American take on a classic Belgium. It’s a bit thin from my taste but all of the other ingredients are there for a wonderful beer that I intend to keep stocked whenever possible.

Comments – I am a fan of the excellent brewery that spawned this fine beer. I gladly pay a premium so I can enjoy the consistent quality that each beer from Maine exhibits. The Four was no exception. I’ll continue to reach for it whenever it presents itself this far way from home.

09-17-2007 07:29:58 | More by dnichols
Doomcifer

Rhode Island

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a ruddy dark brown color with a gorgeous head that goes nowhere. As soon as the cork was popped, the aroma was very evident. Especially as I poured the beer into my Duvel glass. Strong aromas of dark fruits, candied apples, pears, grapes, candy sugar, belgian yeast..quite complex and very luxurious bouquet. Taste is of more fruitiness, pears, green and red apples, figs, candied malts, hops, phenols, you name it, its here...good job masking the alcohol bite. Warming going down. Mouthfeel is heavy, carbonated, on the dry side. Tremendous beer and the 750ml didn't last very long at all. Although it is a sipper, you keep wanting to take sip after sip after sip because it is so great. I love this beer. It's just as good as I remember it to be.

10-28-2008 00:02:04 | More by Doomcifer
BierReise

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

750ml Corked Batch #1 I believe Pours a beautiful amber which is cloudy and with a fiery orange hue and a thick dense and frothy head. Head settles down a bit but retains well. Fantastic aroma, sugary, malty with notes of cherries, yeast and spices like pepper and clove. Wonderful. The mouthfeel is creamy, full and smooth with a delicate feel and a lively carbonation. The flavor is also one to desire. A sugary, malty spicy treat that has a faint and enjoyable hop presence which lends a slight grassy note. Not as complex or deep a flavor as some Belgian Quads we all are familiar with but I wasn't expecting that either. This is an American brew. Maybe with time it will mature a bit but it's wonderful right now in my opinion. An incredibly enjoyable flavor. This one's a winner folks. The best Allagash has brewed in my humble opinion. Way to go guys!

04-13-2004 01:45:30 | More by BierReise
merlin48

Kentucky

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

The elegant bottle reveals little information other than it has 4 malts, 4 hops, and 4 fermentations. Released on 04-04-04, according to lore. Corked and caged when I brought it up from the cellar. After removing the cage, a nimble twist of the fingers produced a "Pop", as the cork easily flew away, and a brief haze of "smoke" arose from the bottle. Poured slightly chilled into my St Bernardus goblet, we have a fascinating, ruby body with a nice looking, beige head. The magnificent body is complimented by wondrous sheets of lace, all over the goblet. This ale has a superior appearance.

Aroma is incredibly complex. Overripe bananas, cotton candy, raisins, cloves, allspice, and a hint of orange peel.

Mouthfeel is above average. Dry, spicy, medium bodied, with ample carbonation.

The taste is exceptional. Allspice opens the door for an experience that should be legal only in the afterworld. Honeydew and cantelope melon, cotton candy, doughy malt, alcohol warming, ginger, clove, mandarin orange, and a freshly washed wool sweater, converge on the senses. The flavors are at their best at room temperature. Finish is slightly dry, with an orange rind aftertate.

Allagash has made a believer out of me. This Quadrupel matches most of the top Belgians I've had, and exceeds many others. I plan a pilgrimage to Maine, next month to tour this brewery, and attempt to learn how they can craft such a fine Belgian style Quad. Exceptional!

06-02-2004 03:05:56 | More by merlin48
jvajda

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Appearance: It has a deep honey color and a thick head like a good quad should.
Smell: Overwelming hop and malt tones, as well as alcohol.
Taste: Wow! Where to start? My first impression was big hops amd big malt flavors, but it quickly turns to apple and fig-like flavors. Finish it all up with a warm shot of alcohol, and you've got yourself a fine brew indeed.
Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy.
Drinkability: Special occasions only, but one of the most drinkable in it's class.

08-31-2004 14:07:27 | More by jvajda
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

I ran across a couple of these in a trip to MA the other weekend. Had one of these when they first came out but not since. Had no choice but to pick up a couple and try it again.

Pours a deep golden amber. Nice carbonation with a steady white head

The smell is intoxicating. Belgium candy sugar and a touch of fruit in the aroma. Some hops aroma in the background, but not overpowering in any way despite being described as 4 hops used on the bottle.

This is a nice medium bodied quadrupple. Wonderful flavor. Caramel, candi sugar, citrus, banana, oak, vanilla. The taste swirls around the mouth and makes you want to come back for more. This beer is lightly sweet, not cloying or syrupy in any way. My next trip up to Portland ME will conclude with a case or two of this coming home with me for the beer cellar to enjoy for quite some time! Highly recommended

02-21-2006 14:56:10 | More by barleywinebrewer
Metalmonk

4.68/5  rDev +15%

Bought this a couple months ago at WholeFoods in Raleigh, NC, thinking I would let it age a year or two. Didn't happen. Couldn't resist.

Appears in the Moinette goblet with a superbly creamy head; not huge but it sticks around for the entire session. Lace sticks and webs its way around the goblet, and the color is a gorgeous dark copper-ruby that utterly glows when held up to light.

Aroma is quite fruity, strawberries and raspberries especially coming through, enhanced with the dirtying influence of yeast, and just a kiss of chocolate way back there. I'm surprised to be reminded of Avery's Kaiser here.

My first impression of the flavor isn't the flavor, but the mouthfeel. This is an element of reviewing I've never quite been comfortable with, as I can't often find a whole lot to say about how a beer "feels". I have a lot to learn there. And the flavor usually takes most of my attention. But Allagash Four feels like sex. Velvety smooth, a buttery layer coating the mouth, just enough sizzle to keep an edge on things. It also hangs in the mouth big and fluffy, and after a time a dryness comes along, begging you to take another sip.

Oh right, the flavor. Also amazing. A chocolate milk-like sweetness prevails, wrapped around incredibly succulent berry flavors; vanilla; unsugared cookie dough; It avoids being too sweet, and also avoids being too obvious. The four malts and four hops have evolved into something entirely different than what they were at their starting points. All this, and the 10% alcohol hangs back, only offering a pleasant warming glow. Super.

Ohmygodd...despite a 10% ABV, this is an extremely drinkable beer, enjoyable to the last drop, not too light or heavy, ridiculously flavorful, looks and feels amazing. Would be great at a beer bar with friends, as accompaniment to a cookout, or just by yourself in a contemplative, restful mood. Can't remember what I paid for it, and I don't care...I'll pay whatever they're asking to get more. Fantastic.

12-09-2007 19:16:58 | More by Metalmonk
bonsreeb85

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +15%

Special thanks are in order for wagenvolks for sending me this brew in a trade.

The appearance is a brew that is a tawney/garnett color with a light biege foamy head that features exceptional retention and good lacing.

The smell is very 'belgian-esque'. Yeasty, spicy and tons of sugar sweetness and dark fruits.

The taste is a symphony of flavors ranging from sweet to spicy and even a bit of tartness and kiss of alcohol warmth. very sweet and complex, absolutely delcious.

The feel this medium bodied brew is super silky and has soft but highly fizzy carbonation. I could go for a bit fuller of a body, but overall pretty good feel.

One of my favorite styles and this is one of the premier examples. Excellent cap to my night.

03-04-2010 01:57:46 | More by bonsreeb85
Bowdoinbeerboy

Maine

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Had on tap at Great Lost Bear. Its actually fairly hazy in the glass, a big turn on for me. This beer actually blew my mind. It is absolutely one of the best I have ever had the privilege of drinking. Fairly sweet, but with a cutting edge that managed to quickly dispel any and all other flavors. Smooth, yet not overpowering, the alcohol is really well masked here. Definitely a beer worth buying again.

10-05-2009 20:47:37 | More by Bowdoinbeerboy
jayavery

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Beer: Allagash Four
Brewer: Allagash Brewing Company. Maine, United States
Style: Belgian Quadrupel (QUAD)
ABV: 10%

Beer Advocate: Jay Avery
Rating: A+

Allagash four was recommended to me from my buddy Scot Wood. The only other Allagash brew I've tried was the white and for a Belgian white, it's up there in my top 5. As far as this one goes, it is a really BIG BEER. The Allagash Four Belgian QUAD contains 4 malts, 4 hops, fermented 4 times with 4 types of yeasts and 4 different sugars. It's about as complex as it gets. Here's my review...

Presentation:
Reviewed 02/24/2011 750ml Bottle corked and caged Batch # 21. Aged 9 months poured into an Affligem Goblet. Stored in my fridge at 37 degrees, I took the bottle out and let is stand for 20 minutes. I gave it a slow pour then let it stand for another 5 mins. I'm pretty close to 50 degrees at the first sip and it only gets better and more flavorful as it warms.

Appearance:
This one pours a thick amber caramel bronze color with a thin, soapy cappuccino head. Lacing quickly dissipates and the head retention is mediocre at best.

Smell:
Immediately I get an earthy spiced oak barrel nose with fruity esters and a hint of molasses with a bit of sour cherry supplication.

Mouthfeel:
Soft but full bodied almost chewy with a tingle from the carbonation on the backend that lingers on your lips just a bit after each sip. This one is a lot creamier than I expected and thick thru and thru.

Taste:
To say this beer is complex is the tip of the iceberg. No apparent hoppines for me but rich, thick and bready fruitcake with a plum body up front. I get some midrange heat from the 10% abv then it I'm hit with a sugary caramelized malty finish. This one is super Intense, I can truly appreciate the amount of work it took to bring this brew to life!

Drinkability:
A definite beast of a beer and still it does a much better job at masking the alcohol content than a lot of 10's out there, I compare this one to a Trappistes Rochefort 10, only smoother and without the phenolic bite. Dangerously drinkable! I've finished 25cl so far and as I wrap up this review, I'm already too impaired to go grab another bottle. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get more. An awesome quad that stands up in its class to the likes of St. Bernardus 12 and the rest of the 1st class Belgian Quads! If you're into Belgian Stong Darks/Quads and the spicy complexity that comes along with 'em, this is a must try brew! I give it an A+

02-25-2011 05:31:00 | More by jayavery
RockyTopHeel

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Light brown in color with a thin, fuzzy white head. Soft, yeasty aroma of dark, alcohol-soaked fruits and bready, distinctly Belgian yeast element.

Mmmm...sooo drinkable for its alcohol content. Explosion of the same elements in the aroma across the tongue, with a slick, alcoholic finish. Unbelievably drinkable, with great mouthfeel.

I'm in love.

10-28-2004 02:24:56 | More by RockyTopHeel
ArogantBastard26

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

For this beer, you need to drink in the correct cup. I chose a snifter so I can get the full aroma of this highly potent beer.

The Beer gives a pre-warning color to the sophistication of this beer. In a pint glass, dark golden column surrounded by a medium gold or copper "jacket." When in a goblet, Dark molasses brown.

Like most Belgium ales, the smell gives you a misleading hint of light and soft cindery apple and pear.

Once you take the sip you realize the drink is not soft and light and DEFINITELY not a cider! Once the ale hits your lips, there is an explosion of deep rich flavors as dark as the color in the snifter immediately powers in your mouth.

The mouth feel is definitely one of strong but drinkable ale. The consistency of the ale falls in the middle of both thick and light. This holds a medium body, which proves to be a great platform to display all this layered flavor from the ale.

It is very hard to compare different types of beers, but of all the ales that I have had, this is the best one to date. The flavor and balance is top notch. It is a shame how hard to find this beer is.

Cheers Beer Enthusiasts!

06-02-2008 02:39:23 | More by ArogantBastard26
doubleipa

Georgia

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

Another outstanding beer from Allagash. Rapidly becoming one of my fav brewers. I've been holding onto a bunch of these for months. I just couldn't bring my self to open open (if I drink one I'll only have 5 left). Finally broke down and drank one for Thanksgiving Eve; had to rationalize it). Anyway, aroma was great. Even though there are four malts in this, I really didn't notice it or the hops. What I really noticed was the cherry and ruby port. Head was creamy, light-brown, excellent lacing, that mostly diminished. Color was dark amber. Heavy sweet initial flavor that lessens. Definitely can taste the malt now. Finish was very long. The body was not as full as some quads. Texture was syrupy and flat with incredibly little if any alcohol finish. One of my favorite quads. It was very smooth without too much cherry, like Three Phils. Very interested to see how this matures. Now only if Allagash would distribute to Georgia.

11-25-2005 14:14:30 | More by doubleipa
GoreStorm

4.93/5  rDev +21.1%

We were lucky enough to get some of this in our local Bevmo here in Fresno. Looks like we'll be getting the primo Allagash stuff regularly. We had a fair amount of the Curieaux come through and then this. So, I'm happy about that.

Since I already reviewed this on draft. I'll just give a general synopsis about why this was just way better out of the bottle. Everything is basically the same just cranked up. The head was about an inch and a quarter. The hops came through much more out of the bottle, it was definitely present and added more complexity to the scent and taste. The mouthfeel was more of what I expected.

Grab a bottle. If you can afford it, get a few and age them. This seems like a beer that would develop excellently when aged.

11-02-2008 12:28:14 | More by GoreStorm
GDMFSOB

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

This may be my favorite beer. I've always figured that there's no point in drinking American brewed, Belgian style beers when you could have an authentic Belgian. That all changed when I tried this beast.
I poured this into a small glass that I usually reserve for good Scotch. A dark amber beer that has a nice, off-white head. The beautiful hop aroma gives way to a magnificent taste that has hops and dark fruits dancing with a true Belgium character. The taste just lingers in your mouth and throat all night. This is a beer that truely needs to be experienced to understand. I think I could drink this and nothing else for the rest of my life. Thank you Allagash.

10-27-2004 01:54:40 | More by GDMFSOB
Mitchster

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

A quadruple brewed with 4 malts, 4 hops, fermented 4 times, released 4/4/04...you get the theme.

"Brewed with four malts, four hops, four sugars and four Belgian yeast strains. During the mashing process, we add Date Sugar to the mash tun. Later, during the boil, we add Light Candi, Dark Candi, and Light Golden Molasses. After primary fermentation with the first strain of yeast, we add more Candi Sugar, and referment the beer with a secondary strain of yeast... that process is then repeated with a third strain of yeast, and finally a fourth for bottle conditioning in the cellar."

Pours out to a murky deep caramel amber, forming a tall soapy and dense light tan to dark beige head with excellent retention and solid sheets of lacing, thanks it part to it's vigorous carbonation (which blew the cork out of the bottle like champagne). The aroma is heavenly, like Maudite or La Fin du Monde with that distinctive fruity and spicy dryness that "The Yeast Strain" imparts, especially in higher gravity brews like this. Tart red apples, cloves, basement dust, swirling pulls out some lacto and brett...man, it's tough to pick up on all that's going here, needless to say it's intoxicating. Mouthfeel is light and airy, pillowy smooth, vibrant, alive...this stuff is kicking. Deceptively medium bodied. Taste...wowza. Starts spicy with lots of clove and phenolic esters, then blends harmoniously into this perfect sweet/tart mix of Belgian Funk and sticky malts. The bitterness is spicy and floral and perfectly balanced with the malts. Peppery flourishes wisp upon the tongue alerting you to it's strength but never becoming obtrusive or detracting from the brew. A slightly toasted graininess hangs on the back of your tongue in the finish. Expertly fermented, especially considering the complexity and depth of this brew.

What can I say..I don't use the words "perfect", "expert", "heavenly", or "intoxicating" too often in my reviews, but this one has it all. What a fucking awesome creation. Props to Rob Tod and the crew for such a divine creation. Give those boys a Gold Star. I will now have to reshuffle my Top-Ten list, damnit.

11-16-2004 16:22:09 | More by Mitchster
ales4baldo

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

Presentation-The bottle is really simple but at the same time really nice. I like how at the neck it almost has a "bomber" style look to it.

Appearence-A really nice bright, cloudy copper look. Almost between a red and gold combined. Just nice.

Smell-Lots of great malts for sure. You dont get too strong of a hop presence even though it does have four different types of malts. IDK how they were able to subdue it. A candy sweet smell thats soft and light.

Taste-At first you do notice that this quadruple is quite sweet. But its really really nice. Not too strong and just right. Malts are really mellow, alcohol is present. Almost some kind of belgian candy mix.

Mouthfeel-Suble carbonation, nothing overpowering. Settles nicely on the palate and draws and finishes very well. I would say wet. Very lively has a lot of feel to it.

Overall-IDK why but this is one of my favorite beers. I freaken love it. Just a nice beer to drink and enjoy. So good.

11-21-2011 04:50:26 | More by ales4baldo