Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Tripel |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 04-05-2004

Allagash Curieux was the first foray into barrel aging. Curieux is made by aging our Tripel Ale in Jim Beam bourbon barrels for eight weeks in our cold cellars. The aged beer is then blended back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting beer is soft with coconut and vanilla notes, with hints of bourbon.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,364 | Reviews: 869

I'm going to skip describing every category in the rating here and just say...WOW. Best beer I've ever had, period.

Silky smooth and refreshing... outstanding

Oh my gosh! Light, sweet, honey, hops...yep this beer has it all going on. If you have the chance to try this one, don't pass it up!

Best beer I've ever tasted

Incredible flavorful and tasty: also goes down real smooth

A- Golden yellow with a white head that sticks to the glass and stays there.

S- a beautiful mixture of whiskey and ale.

T- in my opinion this triple has no equal. The perfect blend of triple and barrel aging is seamless. Honestly not sure what more a whiskey lover would desire in an ale. Amazing balance that really leaves you wondering if this is really %11.

M- so smooth for %11. The after taste really leaves you wanting more and leaves the tongue saturated in Jim Beam.

O- best beer of all time, especially for beers that aren't seasonal. Bottle or tap, I've never been disappointed.

Had this for the 2nd time last night from a 750ml.
Loved it the first time I had it and even more the second time.
It's just that price tag that keeps me away (but damn, it's worth it when you can shell it out)

A. Hazy, yellow, frothy, beautiful carbonation. Head lasts forrrrevvveerrrr.

S. Apple/Pear, boozy, fruity. Belgian esters, but nicely restrained and not blowing my face off.

T. I love this. How is this 11%? I don't get overwhelmed by the bourbon/high abv. Nice retrained belgian taste to go with the esters.

M. Get moar in my mouth.

I love this. I have nothing else to say. Take the plunge and spend the $18-$20. Worth.

A- This beer is cloudy with a dark golden brown color.

S- It has a very pleasant smell. Not overbearing and not too sweet, and a little sour.

T- The taste is very balanced with a slightly sour taste. Very smooth vanilla and coconut start with a Bourbon finish.

MF- Moderately carbonated with excellent texture and great consistency in flavor.

O- Honestly, this is one of the most balanced beers I have ever had. The qualities in this beer are perfect. It is not lacking in any category. At $24 a bottle, the experience is definitely worth it. I find this to be one of the absolute best beers I have ever had. Enjoy slightly chilled for better flavor.

If there is beer in heaven, you can rest assured that this brew will be on draft, there. It is an amazing, but pricey brew that requires special permission from my Mrs. of 35+ years for me to purchase. I would wax her car, put on a new roof, cut down trees, build a new deck, or complete just about any chore she laid out for me, just to earn that special permission. :)

As a perfectionist, I am not one to call many things perfect, but, as beers go, this is one perfectly perfect, brew. The deep rich color, the bourbon ale fragrance, the high end boiler maker taste, and the crisp, yet rich, sweet taste in your mouth, all says this is one, very special beer.

This, however, is NOT a beer that you would want to have in the summer time. Not that you wouldn't enjoy it, because, I believe I would, but, after some heavy chores in the hot sun, and stoping to enjoy a few pints of this, you can rest assured that not much else would get done that day. :)

It is one outstanding beer that you can be proud to server your best friend, your best client, your boss, or your future father in law. It is a pleasant beer for sipping, tasting, drinking, paring with any and all healthy or unhealthy foods. It is, as I mentioned earlier, a beer that will likely be on my expected brews list in heaven, assuming I get there. :)

I expected something great when I bought this, and it didn't disappoint. Curieux pours a beautiful golden brown and smells like citrus and oak. How does it taste? Like scotch...if scotch could be beer. It has a sweetness to it that's followed by somewhat of a creamy finish, but after you've swallowed it, it has oaky notes that make you think you just had a sip of scotch. Absolutely fantastic stuff.

I had a bottle and poured it into a chalice.

A nice rich golden brew with a 1/2" head that was fairly stiff. I normally like a Tripel to have a stiffer head, but considering this is no ordinary Tripel (if there is such a thing as ordinary Tripel), I'm cool with it.

The smell was crisp, definitely some delicate malts and a slight scent of the bourbon barrel.

The taste was fantastic, some peach and candy notes. And the bourbon barrel was not overpowering, only hinted at, contributing to the overall taste. A very sweet tasting beer.

The mouthfeel was clean and refreshing, the right amount of effervescence to compliment the taste.

Overall it was an incredibly enjoyable beer. Will definitely have this again and enjoy it thoroughly.

Poured out of 750ml bottle into Duvel tulip. April 2011 Batch.

Appearance: Gorgeous hazy golden color with beautiful fluffy white head. Nice visible carbonation and lacing.

Smell: Heavenly - both the bourbon and the yeast aromas are readily apparent and blend together perfectly in the nose.

Taste: This is one delicious and complex beer. The fruity yeast esters and the bourbon slug it out on the taste buds on the front end and then resolve into a beautiful lingering bourbon finish. Smooth tasting with the 11% ABV astonishingly hidden/buried. I had some trepidation about how the seemingly contradictory aspects of a Belgian Tripel and bourbon would work together, but Allagash nailed it with this one.

Mouthfeel: Excellent carbonation gives this beer a luxuriant and silky mouthfeel. Not heavy, but incredibly smooth.

Drinkability: This beer is dangerously drinkable for 11% ABV. This is a beer that should be sipped and savored - but it is so delectable that the bottle can vanish very quickly.

Overall - This is one of very best Tripels I have ever had (along with La Fin Du Monde and Tripel Karmeliet) and has easily found a place as one of my personal favorite beers of all time - perfection in a bottle. It is a bit pricey - but worth every penny as an occasional treat...

This is an amazing experience. Best beer I've had.

Wow- best tripel in so time. Super smooth for 11% would give any Trappist a run for flavor.

4.99/5  rDev +16.6%

One of the nicer things done in a bourbon barrel in a very long time.
Nose: light fruit, hint of caramel, vanilla, light malts. spice
Hazy straw to gold under a quickly dissipating yet clingy and easy roused 1" foam cap with a very fine bead.
A yeast driven palate beginning with caramel, melon, banana, light fruit, vanilla, a hint of bourbon, a little nuttiness and a faint touch of pepper and a suggestion of hops. The beer shows astounding balance of flavor between the layers of malt, yeast, bourbon barrel and alcohol flavors.
The alcohol is stealthy - a slight warming announces its presence but there are no harsh, hot or solventy flavors to betray its presence. The body is just below medium and the carbonation is above average but not harsh or carbonic.
Le petit Jésus en culotte de velours

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

The label on the brew said that this was from the October 2010 batch and 750 cases were bottled. The brew poured with a one finger white head into my Rogue chalice. Every time I use these glasses, I think that are darn heavy. Anyways, the head dissipated and didn’t leave any lacing on the glass. The color is a light yellow with a hint of orange and presents with moderate carbonation. The body is clear. On the nose, I got a lot of bready and yeasty notes. Then, I get some golden fruit and sugars. I don’t smell much of the oak that I thought I would from being aged in bourbon barrels. On the taste, the first thing I say is, “Damn, this is a good beer.” There is a lot going on with this. There is a definite wood/vanilla characteristic, then the fruit, then some breadiness and spices. The alcohol, which is hefty at 11%, really only makes itself known on the finish, when it really warms the throat. There is light carbonation on this brew, which is perfect. The brew itself is lighter than I thought and not really syrupy. I love this brew.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

June 2010 batch.

OMFG, this is stupendous!!! Aged in used Jim Beam barrells, the bourbon imparts just a kiss of vanilla/bourbon flavor and not a whack across the head like many beers this style can often turn out to be. Gorgeous hazy, light gold with a snow white head that clings for a good time and leaves plenty of lacing. Complex aromas of baked citrus, caramel, vanilla. Immensely drinkable with a lovely texture and a great warming sensation provided by the 11% and bourbon notes. Aftertaste lingers on forever.

One of the best beers I've drunk in a while.

4.96/5  rDev +15.9%

Delicious sweet bourbon taste. Much better from a bottle than on tap.

4.96/5  rDev +15.9%

dang. i shared a bottle of this with my brother in honor of my thirtieth birthday and have only positive praise for it. we paired it with homemade huaraches, and if you've never tried turning ground corn into tortillas, i'll tell you that all it takes is a little bit of water and a fork, and fueling your efforts with sips of curieux isn't a bad way to go either. it packs an amazing wallop without ever being in your face or overbearing, just an enjoyable experience from feather to feather, from sip to sip. sit back and settle your eyes out on that pod of dolphins passing by. it's summertime. enjoy all the moments.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

On Tap @ Eat Bar/Talula's in Arlington, VA
Served in a tulip/snifter style glass.
Dirty Blond in color, but perfect clarity. Small head but it stayed throughout entire 6oz sample.
Smells in Pinot Grigio wine or fruits.

Taste had buttery caramel after taste that turned into laces of fruit.
I could tell it weas higher in alcohol, but not too much.
Very drinkable but not a session beer.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

I just had this on cask at The Olde Toad in Rochester, NY. Served in an 8oz. Tulip.

A - Golden hue with little to no head. Slight lacing left after each sip. Richer color than an American Pilsner, not as dark as a red. Didn't share the same color as other tripel's I've had

S - Malty. Over the top, orange peel and nutmeg were present.

T - Orange peel and nutmeg with an instant alcohol flavor. Not overpowering, no hoppiness. No bitterness, very clean aftertaste. The bourbon barrels definitely left their mark, as well as a very faint vanilla taste.

M - Just slightly carbonated, what you'd expect from an ale that had been ages in oak barrels for months. No extra carbonation at all.

D - This could be deadly. I'm glad I had a driver. This beer is amazing. I really couldn't drink more than 1 or 2 without getting hurt, but I might be willing to try.

4.91/5  rDev +14.7%

750 ml from Manderes in Folsom, CA.

A - Golden color, moderate head, with no legs.

S - Awesome. Never smelled anything like it. Notes of wood, bourbon, clove and smokiness. You can tell it was aged in Jim Beam barrels.

T - Cinnamon, all-spice, bourbon, but the wood doesn't dominate in the taste.

M - No alcohol flavor, yet I can only sip a little at a time to get the bourbon and smoke flavors out of the beer.

D - Somebody build a cigar tent quick. Excellent way to finish a night.

4.91/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

In a sea of neverending bourbon barrel-aged stouts, Allagash Curieux is an oasis in the desert. Tart apple, warm honey and smooth bourbon greet you on the nose. The brew is nicely carbonated but not fizzy, silky but not thick or chewy. The bourbon is a complimentary note, not some boozey colossus here to hammer in self on your taste buds. The dry granny smith carries through with some honey and caramel from the oak. Almost too sweet and candy-like, but then the bourbon comes in to finish it off. Perfectly balanced, Exceptional beer.

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

This beer pours a clear yellow color with a thick, fluffy off white head, with a slight yellow tint. The head fades very slowly, leaving a huge lacing.

This beer has a sour viniger like aroma. I mean that in a good way. I smell some grainy aroma. It has a nice citrus aroma from the hops. It has a slight Bourbon like aroma as well.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Sour up front, but not too cloying. It tastes slightly grainy also. Some lemony citrus hop flavor is also present. I only taste the Bourbon slightly.

This beer is crisp and refreshing. It goes down smooth, leaving a citrusy sour aftertaste. This beer is perfectly carbonated.

I think this beer would make a good session beer. It tastes great, and is not overbearing. The only problem is the alcohol content.

Overall: This beer is great. I am glad to have gotten to try it.

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Woof ... this is a review after having tasted at least 5 different bottles of different batches. (Not all at the same time ... apologies to the Long Beach Hopheads)

The appearance is always truly that of amber beauty.

It's difficult to rate it's appearance because it's smell is so delicate and aromatic as to overwhelm my vision of its appearance.

Sorry ... I love this beer!!!!

I buy it when I have an extra buck to simply store it to age.

My pilgrimage this summer is to visit the brewery (and the gf's family who live near it ... lucky me ... poor them)

It tastes like a delicate bourbon, it feels like a newly freed virgin (apologies to my minister).

Drinkability ... VG ... but share the bottle ... otherwise you may see ... ok ... just drink the bottle!!!

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) from Allagash Brewing Company