2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Tripel |  11.00% ABV

Allagash Curieux was the first foray into barrel aging. Curieux is made by aging our Tripel Ale in Jim Beam bourbon barrels for eight weeks in our cold cellars. The aged beer is then blended back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting beer is soft with coconut and vanilla notes, with hints of bourbon.

(Beer added by: Todd on 04-05-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,365 | Reviews: 764 | Show All Ratings:
Jazzfan333

Poured out of 750ml bottle into Duvel tulip. April 2011 Batch.

Appearance: Gorgeous hazy golden color with beautiful fluffy white head. Nice visible carbonation and lacing.

Smell: Heavenly - both the bourbon and the yeast aromas are readily apparent and blend together perfectly in the nose.

Taste: This is one delicious and complex beer. The fruity yeast esters and the bourbon slug it out on the taste buds on the front end and then resolve into a beautiful lingering bourbon finish. Smooth tasting with the 11% ABV astonishingly hidden/buried. I had some trepidation about how the seemingly contradictory aspects of a Belgian Tripel and bourbon would work together, but Allagash nailed it with this one.

Mouthfeel: Excellent carbonation gives this beer a luxuriant and silky mouthfeel. Not heavy, but incredibly smooth.

Drinkability: This beer is dangerously drinkable for 11% ABV. This is a beer that should be sipped and savored - but it is so delectable that the bottle can vanish very quickly.

Overall - This is one of very best Tripels I have ever had (along with La Fin Du Monde and Tripel Karmeliet) and has easily found a place as one of my personal favorite beers of all time - perfection in a bottle. It is a bit pricey - but worth every penny as an occasional treat...

06-21-2011 18:21:49 | More by Jazzfan333
ChrisAceGates

I had a bottle and poured it into a chalice.

A nice rich golden brew with a 1/2" head that was fairly stiff. I normally like a Tripel to have a stiffer head, but considering this is no ordinary Tripel (if there is such a thing as ordinary Tripel), I'm cool with it.

The smell was crisp, definitely some delicate malts and a slight scent of the bourbon barrel.

The taste was fantastic, some peach and candy notes. And the bourbon barrel was not overpowering, only hinted at, contributing to the overall taste. A very sweet tasting beer.

The mouthfeel was clean and refreshing, the right amount of effervescence to compliment the taste.

Overall it was an incredibly enjoyable beer. Will definitely have this again and enjoy it thoroughly.

08-09-2012 15:26:05 | More by ChrisAceGates
ThePaleRider

A- Golden yellow with a white head that sticks to the glass and stays there.

S- a beautiful mixture of whiskey and ale.

T- in my opinion this triple has no equal. The perfect blend of triple and barrel aging is seamless. Honestly not sure what more a whiskey lover would desire in an ale. Amazing balance that really leaves you wondering if this is really %11.

M- so smooth for %11. The after taste really leaves you wanting more and leaves the tongue saturated in Jim Beam.

O- best beer of all time, especially for beers that aren't seasonal. Bottle or tap, I've never been disappointed.

09-13-2012 21:38:16 | More by ThePaleRider
TequilaGeorge

If there is beer in heaven, you can rest assured that this brew will be on draft, there. It is an amazing, but pricey brew that requires special permission from my Mrs. of 35+ years for me to purchase. I would wax her car, put on a new roof, cut down trees, build a new deck, or complete just about any chore she laid out for me, just to earn that special permission. :)

As a perfectionist, I am not one to call many things perfect, but, as beers go, this is one perfectly perfect, brew. The deep rich color, the bourbon ale fragrance, the high end boiler maker taste, and the crisp, yet rich, sweet taste in your mouth, all says this is one, very special beer.

This, however, is NOT a beer that you would want to have in the summer time. Not that you wouldn't enjoy it, because, I believe I would, but, after some heavy chores in the hot sun, and stoping to enjoy a few pints of this, you can rest assured that not much else would get done that day. :)

It is one outstanding beer that you can be proud to server your best friend, your best client, your boss, or your future father in law. It is a pleasant beer for sipping, tasting, drinking, paring with any and all healthy or unhealthy foods. It is, as I mentioned earlier, a beer that will likely be on my expected brews list in heaven, assuming I get there. :)

03-05-2013 03:52:51 | More by TequilaGeorge
BeeryMcbeerenstein

Rhode Island

Had this for the 2nd time last night from a 750ml.
Loved it the first time I had it and even more the second time.
It's just that price tag that keeps me away (but damn, it's worth it when you can shell it out)

A. Hazy, yellow, frothy, beautiful carbonation. Head lasts forrrrevvveerrrr.

S. Apple/Pear, boozy, fruity. Belgian esters, but nicely restrained and not blowing my face off.

T. I love this. How is this 11%? I don't get overwhelmed by the bourbon/high abv. Nice retrained belgian taste to go with the esters.

M. Get moar in my mouth.

I love this. I have nothing else to say. Take the plunge and spend the $18-$20. Worth.

03-31-2014 14:05:29 | More by BeeryMcbeerenstein
mgironta

4.98/5  rDev +16.6%

The label on the brew said that this was from the October 2010 batch and 750 cases were bottled. The brew poured with a one finger white head into my Rogue chalice. Every time I use these glasses, I think that are darn heavy. Anyways, the head dissipated and didn’t leave any lacing on the glass. The color is a light yellow with a hint of orange and presents with moderate carbonation. The body is clear. On the nose, I got a lot of bready and yeasty notes. Then, I get some golden fruit and sugars. I don’t smell much of the oak that I thought I would from being aged in bourbon barrels. On the taste, the first thing I say is, “Damn, this is a good beer.” There is a lot going on with this. There is a definite wood/vanilla characteristic, then the fruit, then some breadiness and spices. The alcohol, which is hefty at 11%, really only makes itself known on the finish, when it really warms the throat. There is light carbonation on this brew, which is perfect. The brew itself is lighter than I thought and not really syrupy. I love this brew.

09-17-2012 01:26:15 | More by mgironta
JorgeH

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

June 2010 batch.

OMFG, this is stupendous!!! Aged in used Jim Beam barrells, the bourbon imparts just a kiss of vanilla/bourbon flavor and not a whack across the head like many beers this style can often turn out to be. Gorgeous hazy, light gold with a snow white head that clings for a good time and leaves plenty of lacing. Complex aromas of baked citrus, caramel, vanilla. Immensely drinkable with a lovely texture and a great warming sensation provided by the 11% and bourbon notes. Aftertaste lingers on forever.

One of the best beers I've drunk in a while.

07-28-2011 11:59:14 | More by JorgeH
skibumdc

4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

On Tap @ Eat Bar/Talula's in Arlington, VA
Served in a tulip/snifter style glass.
Dirty Blond in color, but perfect clarity. Small head but it stayed throughout entire 6oz sample.
Smells in Pinot Grigio wine or fruits.

Taste had buttery caramel after taste that turned into laces of fruit.
I could tell it weas higher in alcohol, but not too much.
Very drinkable but not a session beer.

03-26-2008 12:19:32 | More by skibumdc
RocPorterFanatic

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

I just had this on cask at The Olde Toad in Rochester, NY. Served in an 8oz. Tulip.

A - Golden hue with little to no head. Slight lacing left after each sip. Richer color than an American Pilsner, not as dark as a red. Didn't share the same color as other tripel's I've had

S - Malty. Over the top, orange peel and nutmeg were present.

T - Orange peel and nutmeg with an instant alcohol flavor. Not overpowering, no hoppiness. No bitterness, very clean aftertaste. The bourbon barrels definitely left their mark, as well as a very faint vanilla taste.

M - Just slightly carbonated, what you'd expect from an ale that had been ages in oak barrels for months. No extra carbonation at all.

D - This could be deadly. I'm glad I had a driver. This beer is amazing. I really couldn't drink more than 1 or 2 without getting hurt, but I might be willing to try.

Serving type: cask

01-12-2008 01:11:02 | More by RocPorterFanatic
MisterClean

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

750 ml from Manderes in Folsom, CA.

A - Golden color, moderate head, with no legs.

S - Awesome. Never smelled anything like it. Notes of wood, bourbon, clove and smokiness. You can tell it was aged in Jim Beam barrels.

T - Cinnamon, all-spice, bourbon, but the wood doesn't dominate in the taste.

M - No alcohol flavor, yet I can only sip a little at a time to get the bourbon and smoke flavors out of the beer.

D - Somebody build a cigar tent quick. Excellent way to finish a night.

01-25-2008 04:22:38 | More by MisterClean
OStrungT

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

This beer pours a clear yellow color with a thick, fluffy off white head, with a slight yellow tint. The head fades very slowly, leaving a huge lacing.

This beer has a sour viniger like aroma. I mean that in a good way. I smell some grainy aroma. It has a nice citrus aroma from the hops. It has a slight Bourbon like aroma as well.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Sour up front, but not too cloying. It tastes slightly grainy also. Some lemony citrus hop flavor is also present. I only taste the Bourbon slightly.

This beer is crisp and refreshing. It goes down smooth, leaving a citrusy sour aftertaste. This beer is perfectly carbonated.

I think this beer would make a good session beer. It tastes great, and is not overbearing. The only problem is the alcohol content.

Overall: This beer is great. I am glad to have gotten to try it.

06-04-2007 01:09:49 | More by OStrungT
lonestar4lunch

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

This is what happiness taste like. Your first kiss, first car, first puppy all placed in the form of one outstanding brew.

The moment you begin your pour the aroma lightly starts to come your way. Slowly, anxiously it taunts you saying "Yes, I taste even better than I smell". Appearance is the same as the triple.
There is some head...yada yada..move on...

Taste, have I mention this is outstanding yet? Smooth as velvet. The hint of oak sticks to the front of the tounge while the smallest bite of whiskey hits the sides. Then the yeast, fruits and spices finish on the back of the tounge. This all fits together so well some would say it's like Larry & Balki.... Perfect Strangers brought together for hours of unending entertainment. Thank you....

Finishes with just the slightest alcohol bite but is WAY too drinkable. Enjoy!!!

11-06-2007 06:04:41 | More by lonestar4lunch
konisko

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Woof ... this is a review after having tasted at least 5 different bottles of different batches. (Not all at the same time ... apologies to the Long Beach Hopheads)

The appearance is always truly that of amber beauty.

It's difficult to rate it's appearance because it's smell is so delicate and aromatic as to overwhelm my vision of its appearance.

Sorry ... I love this beer!!!!

I buy it when I have an extra buck to simply store it to age.

My pilgrimage this summer is to visit the brewery (and the gf's family who live near it ... lucky me ... poor them)

It tastes like a delicate bourbon, it feels like a newly freed virgin (apologies to my minister).

Drinkability ... VG ... but share the bottle ... otherwise you may see ... ok ... just drink the bottle!!!

05-12-2009 03:10:08 | More by konisko
afrye29

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

A; When I poured this beer I noticed a orangish gold color and a slight cloudiness, this beer had about a one finger head foam, and very little lace.

S: The first hint of smell was over welming with the bourbon, but as the beer past through is seem to have a nutty/fruity smell to it and even a citrus hint as well.

T: At first it seemed a nutty sweet flavor then turned to a citrus orangey lemoney fruity flavor, and then came the heat of the bourbon as it passed through the mouth.

I wasnt sure what to expact when I purchesed this beer but I was very please with how it turned out, I recommend to try this beer if you come acrossed it, unless your not a fan of bourbon, but again one of the best beers Ive had.

M: Not to heavy, smooth, with a little bourbon feel

D: slow sipping beer, but gets better and better with each sip.

03-24-2011 09:56:56 | More by afrye29
silentjay

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

an old favorite I have yet to review. The first beer I actually felt deserved to be priced close to $20. This one has 6 months age on it.

pours hazy and golden, with a huge, fluffy pure white head that sticks around a while and leaves tons of lacing, consistent with the best tripels I've seen.

smells a bit spicy and fruity with a good amount of booze and some bourbon/oaky smoothness that adds maybe some vanilla and nougat.

flavor is one of the most complex I have ever had, and changes drastically as the beer warms (getting better with each sip). starts off spicy and estery with plenty of booze. The tripel flavors still dominate with some vanilla extract added in on the finish. after warming a bit, the oakiness and bourbon come into play with a tamed down alcohol harshness, but increased sweetness and caramel/toffee flavors, while still keeping a bit of the spicy yeasty tripel character.

has the mouthfeel of an authentic Belgian Tripel. velvety smooth, but with soft-bubbled carbonation and a nice warmth that lingers well after the swallow.

my favorite Allagash brew, my favorite Tripel, and one of my favorite barrel-aged beers. they hit a grand slam with this one.

04-20-2011 03:17:14 | More by silentjay
Dankuel

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured beer into a brandy snifter glass. Beer has the appearance of a typical tripel: a cloudy brown/orange color with a thin frothy head and moderate lacing on the side of the glass. At cold temperatures the estery/fruity and phenolic aromas really stand out. There is also some very light oak in the background. As the beer warms the oak comes out a bit more. The spice of the bourbon really hits the nose but compliments the esters and phenols quite well. It definitely tastes like a tripel but is extremely well balanced and complimented with the bourbon oak. The aftertaste is something to be applauded; a nice pungent burn that leaves me feeling as if I took a shot. Amazing mouthfeel, my palate begins to go dry after a few swigs of this, I love it.

Great beer, can't wait to pick up another bottle and age it.

07-27-2012 21:40:34 | More by Dankuel
streetcommander

Served at 58F

This is perhaps the best beer I've ever had. Many times the product can't match hype and propaganda, but this is the impressive exception we all painstakingly drink so many beers searching for.

I'm not generally a fan of high gravity beers or the state of Maine, but I give a sincere hat tip to the folks at this brewery, they are true artisans.

Cold crisp and refreshing. No booze taste, no sweet syrups, no chemical adjuncts, just simple perfection, just as Almighty God intended it.

My only consternation is the price. A craftsman is due his craft's market value, that I will never deny him, but damnit, this stuff should flow from fast food fountain drink dispensers with free refills...in my Utopia. The price of admission is steep, at $15 per 22oz. At $50 per 22oz, it would still be worthy.

12-28-2012 00:44:14 | More by streetcommander
liquoredgoat

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

A: Pours a rich metallic gold with a snow white one finger head that has foamy latte retention. Great lacing. The beer is replete with quickly ascending bubbles.

S: Ripe pears, candy, spiced peaches, alcohol, wet grass

T: Great Tripel character. Dried fruit. More peaches. Slight woodiness. Alcohol hides in the background, being much less present than the ABV would suggest. A dry finish that suggests an enjoyable pairing with a sharp Irish cheddar or a similar cheese.

M: Silky and light, but with gravity. Expands and fills the mouth. A creamy rather than an overly carbonated character. Carbonation is very light.

O: This is a great Tripel that is given an enhanced and slightly different flavor profile thanks to the barrel aging. The balanced mouthfeel and taste is extraordinary, avoiding the extremes of being either too heavy and boozy or too fizzy and dry. It rests in the middle with the mouthfeel gravity and character of a fat balloon and classic Tripel taste with added unique dimensions. Among those of the style I have yet tried, this is second only to Chimay Blue, or maybe even better.

01-02-2013 06:59:45 | More by liquoredgoat
BlindPig

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

A- Thin white head on a lightly cloudy orange body with some yellow hues.
S- Big wood and banana aroma right off the bat, hints of vanilla, breads, cloves, and other light spices. Hints of caramel malt body. Alcohol aroma is really hidden here especially for 11%. There are very faint hints of bourbon here and there. Just a very nice blend of aromas and nothing is over whelming.
T- Bourbon comes through a bit stronger in the taste than the aroma. Everything is very well balanced and once again (like the aroma) nothing is over powering. The bourbon makes itself known but not to much. The wood comes through the beer nicely too. I get bourbon, wood, vanilla, bananas, light esters, cloves, hints of other spices, other light fruits, some light grassy hops, and a few other flavors I just can't pick out from this complex brew. Everything just fits into itself perfectly. The alcohol also doesn't give much of a warming here at all (just a very faint one), however, the bourbon flavor just lingers on the tongue for quite some time.
M- Medium body with low carbonation.
D- This is a almost perfect beer. It feels like everything comes out when it is supposed to and stays around for just enough time. Has amazing complexity and nothing over powers the other. Just a great beer for some very special occasions.

05-19-2007 04:54:53 | More by BlindPig
PeprSprYoFace

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Got this in a trade from Pipmeister. Thanks buddy.

Poured into a goblit. Has almost no head and dissapeared fast. Has a beautiful apricot color to it.

Smells nice and malty with a little burbon to it. Little yeasty goodness as well.

Taste is wonderful. Have yet to be dissapointed by any of this companies beers. This is one of my favorite tripels. Tastes as it smells.

Mouthfeel is good with a good carbonation.

Drinkability is high and can't wait to have it again.

06-20-2008 06:44:48 | More by PeprSprYoFace
hopmonkey

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Hot and hoppy, but also with mellow and sweet vanilla notes. The bourbon flavor profile is hinted at, but the bountiful hops never let you forget this is a tripel, not Jim Beam. Great, lively mouthfeel. Exceptionally clean and cohesive finish for such layered flavors. Really just an outstanding beer.

01-26-2009 01:17:27 | More by hopmonkey
mrquartetman

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

A: Golden amber, cloudy, big head

S: Citrus, spice, big malt, like a spicy cake, lots of aromatics, a clear bourbon backgrouind aroma.

T: Starts out gingery, then citrus kicks in, but is quickly overwhelmed by a huge malty surge, banana and the cake that the aroma promised. The bourbon flavor is quite present, but other great spicy flavors contend with it.

M: Dense, quite sweet, though not at all cloying; very complex, very big.

D: The temptation would be to just keep drinking this one, it is so good, but its alcohol level might be a bit of a caution.

This is truly "curious." Allagash says of it, "To make the Curieux (French for "curious"), we age our Tripel Ale in Jim Beam barrels for 8 weeks in our cellar."

This is one helluva beer.

03-23-2009 01:20:11 | More by mrquartetman
Minotaur

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

A hazy, foamy golden triple; the head remains for most of the glass staying about half a finger above the grainy looking liquer.

The aroma is alcoholic with a superior malty depth and just a few bright fruit and bitter notes from the yeast and hops. There is an exceptional liquer essence hanging above every sip.

The taste that comes through most strongly is a smooth malty wine-like draught which could be overly sweet if not for the very heady spice, tangerine, and grape-fruit like notes. This is intentionally a Belgian style as identified with the underlay of breadiness. However there is a sharpness that fades into a pleasant sourness. A bit of funk liners on the back of the tongue but remains integrated and pleasant.

The mouthfeel is like a fine, slightly chalky smooth confection. Creamy and rich. It is highly drinkable even though packed with alcohol. The alcoholic sharpness remains subdued and the warmth adds to the pleasantry.

Allagash at their best; one of the best American brewed Belgian style ales out there.

01-29-2010 22:07:20 | More by Minotaur
ButtonBeer

South Carolina

4.86/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is silky smooth with a complex nose and medium bodied flavor that hangs on long after each swallow. One can definitely detect the bourbon as well as a hint of honey. By my standards, this was pricy but worth it. Forced to write more in order to post. So, there is also a hint of an English ale - like Old Speckled Hen, but only a hint.

04-06-2013 21:28:33 | More by ButtonBeer
Arithmeticus

Maryland

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured at basement temp in snifter (good call for the aroma)

A: cloudy yellow; thin head, good carbonation
S: powerful bourbon smell with streaks of leather; very, very pleasant
T: this is pretty much a bourbon with a trippel; not very hoppy; a woody flavor is prominent; highly spiced
M: buzzy

This is a beer you can chew on; it's expensive, so save it for friends; you will not be disappointed, they will be deeply impressed

07-01-2011 21:08:21 | More by Arithmeticus