1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Tripel |  11.00% ABV

Allagash Curieux was the first foray into barrel aging. Curieux is made by aging our Tripel Ale in Jim Beam bourbon barrels for eight weeks in our cold cellars. The aged beer is then blended back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting beer is soft with coconut and vanilla notes, with hints of bourbon.

(Beer added by: Todd on 04-05-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,335 | Reviews: 763 | Show All Ratings:
Arbitrator

2.3/5  rDev -46.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. November 2008 bottling.

A: Pours a cloudy golden body with a finger of off-white head that retains moderately and collapses into a medium collar with very light film on top. No lacing.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, butter, oak. Citrus (lemon, apricot, maybe even tangerine), banana, spice. A little boozy warmth.

T: Bourbon; definitely bourbon, yes. Buttery oak and vanilla also emerge at the front. I thought those flavors would recede over time, so it makes me wonder what this beer was like a year and a half ago. The base beer comes out more in the mid-taste, but not fully. The barrel character has overwhelmed it. I can get hints of lemon, apricot, tangerine, as well as banana. The finish is spicy at first, but it gets pretty warm from the booze, though I would hesitate to call it hot.

M: Definitely chewy, but it is medium-bodied. Carbonation is good (to my palate), but I acknowledge it is low for a tripel.

D: I didn't really enjoy this experiment. Bourbon-barrel tripels are rare, so I can't really judge to "the style," but I know Cascade's Vlad had some bourbon-tripel in there, and it was worlds better than this one. Won't even consider buying this again at $17.

02-11-2010 02:20:41 | More by Arbitrator
meathookjones

2.4/5  rDev -43.9%

Fairly clear golden orange body with a tall foamy white head. Some scattered light lacing was left around the glass. Aroma was a mix of sweet fruits and strong bourbon alcohol notes. There was minimal spice as well but the more this warmed the more the alcohol and bourbon drowned out everything else. Taste was more of the same. Too much bourbon and alcohol to let anything else but some sweetness gets through. There were light fruit and spice notes but as the bottle warmed the alcohol became even more evident. Very unpleasant towards the end of the bottle. I really dig their standard triple but this was way too hot to enjoy. I figured it might have mellowed some but that was not the case. Mouthfeel was solid. Drinkability was shot to hell by the alcohol. Seems like triples and bourbon barreling don’t mix well.

07-21-2005 15:43:55 | More by meathookjones
DogFood11

2.42/5  rDev -43.5%

light copper, perfectly clear, tons of small fine carbs support the spritzy head.

Burbon smell is predominant although you can pick out the typical fruity tripel aroma.

After my first bottle I thought it needed some cellar time. This one is just a young 6 months old and its not ready yet in my opinon. Still a bit harsh around the edges. sweet malts add to the sugary aspect. The alcohol did make the movie "bad santa" pretty entertaining.

Notes: These bourbon type brews are tough. some peppery content came through late in the aftertaste but it just seemed like a watered down black velvet blend.

12-29-2005 06:54:47 | More by DogFood11
Naugled

2.42/5  rDev -43.5%

750ml corked in bottle. Bottle date of Oct 2008 and a whopping 11% alcohol. Handsome packaging.

Appearance: Cloudy hazy gold, tightly carbonated with nice white head that dissipates quickly. Good for style.

Smell: Way too oaky. It just hits you in the olfactories. A sugary coconut smell

Taste: Way too oaky here too. I can't get past the coconut flavor, it almost tastes imitation, but I trust it's not. I can taste hints of the tannin in the after taste.

Mouthfeel: Good mouthfeel, but nothing outstanding. Carbonation is crisp and body is smooth.

Drinkability: Not impressed.

Maybe with aging the oakiness will diminish, but not impressed enough to buy one to age at this price.

02-12-2009 01:38:05 | More by Naugled
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

2.55/5  rDev -40.4%

On tap at Roman's in Milwaukee.

Dusty orange gold body with spritzer carbonation and a healthy white cloud atop.

Huge vanilla/oak aroma is surprisingly balanced out by a luscious tropical fruit medley of lime, apricot, papaya, and an abundance of peach skin.

Smooth and warming feel with a bit of an alcohol bite/burn. Tropical fruit flavors are overwhelmed by the boozey/oaky/vanilla character. I find the barrel aging to be a detraction from an already solid, albeit delicate beer. Some spice and hop bitterness manages to shine through the booze.

Drinkability is destroyed by the barrel aging.

Not my cup of tea at all, but I’m not that in to barrel aging of most beers.

08-17-2006 16:53:28 | More by DaPeculierDane
LilBeerDoctor

2.55/5  rDev -40.4%

Reviewed on 9/13/08. Bottle, May 2008. Pours a cloudy bright orange with a small white head that dissipates rapidly. Aroma of melon rind and sharp spices (some pepper, clove), and bourbon. In the flavor the bourbon really comes out with the tripel background. Not overpowering bourbon although you can certainly taste it. At least it feels like you're still drinking beer...I'm not really a fan of bourbon-flavored beers. This isn't the worst, but it's still too bourbony for me.
6/4/5/3/12 (3.0/5)

12-26-2008 17:27:03 | More by LilBeerDoctor
maxpower

Missouri

2.65/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Corked and caged 750 ml bottled October 2004, pours cloudy golden yellow with a nice lasting head of large bubbles, good lacing in my glass. Sweet fruity and bourbon aromas, smoky and woody flavors, the bourbon taste almost overwhelming at first but mellows throughout, medium bodied with a fairly smooth mouthfeel, not as carbonated as most tripels, finishes dry. At 13.99 a bottle no thank you.

01-09-2005 20:55:00 | More by maxpower
hopwilder

2.73/5  rDev -36.2%

Appearance - Is unfortunately my favorite part of this brew. Pours a beautiful golden, amber color, while an almost cotton white head develops. The lacing disappears fairly quickly, but a nice wispy cover remains.
Smell - The alcohol dominates the scent here, there is also a powerful odor from the bourbon barrels, not much more to it.
Taste - Was also dominated by the alcohol and barrels, not much else can even get in, disappointing for Allagash.
Mouthfeel - A surprisingly light and fluffy initial hit, but the alcohol quickly takes over a sharp feel.
Drinkability - Again, the booze just overpowers everything in the brew, making it tough for me to finish a 750ml.

Disappointed because I love Allagash....

01-05-2010 22:55:26 | More by hopwilder
samie85

2.75/5  rDev -35.7%

December 2010 bottling.

A-Pours a hazy blond/orange color with with a half-finger fine-bubbled white head

S-Smells a little tart like a lambic/wild ale with light hints of apple and pear.

T-Big bourbon heat with some tart, cidery notes with a pronounced bitterness.

M-Really quite light bodied with a very present alcohol warmth and a very drying finish.

D-I thought the bourbon barrel-aging might make this tripel more up my alley, but this is just really not my thing. There is no body or malt presence to compliment the bourbon.

07-27-2011 01:00:10 | More by samie85
philipquarles

Connecticut

2.83/5  rDev -33.9%

On tap. Pours a hazy light gold with a creamy white head that leaves nice lace. Smells strongly sweet and fruity, but with plenty of oak and whiskey as well. Banana and citrus. Expected spiciness from the typical tripel yeast. Tastes of sweet, grainy malt, yeasty light fruit, and strong bourbon. It's surprising how much the whiskey comes through. Some oakiness and spice there as well. For me, the bourbon character doesn't work well at all with the flavor of a tripel. Between the dijointed flavors and the high ABV, this one doesn't drink very easily.

08-18-2009 05:02:11 | More by philipquarles
jokemon

2.83/5  rDev -33.9%

To put it simply.

There is way too much bourbon flavor in this beer. It tastes like they took a regular beer and added a shot of jim bean to it.

The aroma itself is somewhat pleasant. I enjoyed smelling the beer at least.

I would reccomend this beer to try at least once, but thats about it.

02-06-2012 18:56:28 | More by jokemon
smakawhat

Maryland

2.85/5  rDev -33.4%

I had to admit this Belgian style triple with oak aged Bourbon casks was a bit dissapointing. Not much of the characteristics they mention in the product came through in the tasting (oak, vanilla, caramel/toffee).

The beer also from a mouthfeel and taste is a bit lacking as well compared to other tripels I've had. No big heavy fruit or breadyness that I was expecting, also the beer felt to heavy on the alcohol side compared to other tripels whose body and taste profile could mask the alcohol I've had. It's a good beer but I found it hard to drink, and felt it really needed to be paired with food, you couldn't just casually drink it.

10-05-2010 15:15:59 | More by smakawhat
Thorpe429

2.88/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a lift caramel color that is somewhat opaque. Nose brings forward a god dose of light bourbon along with some caramel sweetness and bread. Sligt spicing. The taste just doesn't really work for me, with some strange bread and banana interacting with the bourbon. It sounds good, but just isn't very appetizig to me. Mouthfeel is a bit boozy and thin. This one just did not work for me.

10-07-2010 11:21:13 | More by Thorpe429
4000qtrap

Missouri

2.9/5  rDev -32.2%

Source/Serving: Draft

Smell: Overall the intensity is pretty mild. Strawberry and 7-up spritzer. tart candied oranges. Fruit smoothie (mix of bananas, berries and apples). Whiskey sour.

Taste: Slightly sour-orange woodiness with a pinch of alcohol burn and slightly stale white wine up front. Slowly melds to a middle which is dark citrus, faint light bourbon alcohol and semisweet with a white wine edge. Finish is dry white wine and is moderately fresh and citrusy.

Notes: While tripels are a beer that is often wine-like, this ends up more like and exact replica of white wine. Really didn't get the bourbon/vanilla notes that everyone else is talking about....maybe since its was on draft?

07-10-2010 22:27:37 | More by 4000qtrap
1Adam12

Indiana

2.9/5  rDev -32.2%

Man, I was really looking forward to this bottle. I'm wondering if I might have gotten a bad bottle. I heard binny's can produce a bad bottle or 2, because if this is how it normally tastes, it is wayyy overpriced. Color was the best part, nice light murky orange. I smelled almost nothing at all on the nose. Tasted like alot of bourbon, which i do love me some bourbon forward beers, but thats all I got, nothing else. Not much hops, lightly carbonated. Like I said, I think I might have gotten a bad bottle, because this was very unimpressive if this is the norm.

06-05-2011 00:23:37 | More by 1Adam12
BobZ

2.95/5  rDev -31.1%

750ml 25.4 Oz. bottle. Split with buddy and poured into my Duvel tulip. Had this bottle over a year hoping the bourbon would "mellow" a little with some age since trying my first bottle.

Appearance: Nice rich head which remains over time, very good lacing throughout.

Smell: Bourbon up front, dominant, very little else on the nose.

Taste: Again, bourbon, all about the bourbon, "bourbon uber alles". All other flavors are pretty well masked. Unlike bourbon barrel aged stouts like KBS and Cuvee Delphine where the bourbon is a component in a multi flavored balanced brew, here the bourbon is too much and does not allow the Tripel characteristics to surface at all. This also makes the alcohol noticeable.

Mouth feel: Alcohol burn but otherwise decently smooth.

Drinkability: Too boozy to make a sessionable beer, one and done, glad I was splitting the bottle.
Again, could have been a much better brew if the bourbon aging added "A component" rather the being "THE component".

12-18-2010 18:05:33 | More by BobZ
cabsandking

2.98/5  rDev -30.4%

Golden to light copper color and a white head quickly diminishing to some scant lacing. Aromas display big woodsy oak barrel characters, earthiness, golden apples, soft fruits, and something lactic like yogurt. Large alcoholic burn dominates beer along with oaky bourbon flavor, vanilla, and bananas. BA spice characters meld well with those of the tripel but as it warms they seem to consume the other flavors. Typical tripel mouthfeel...thin, fizzy carbonation. Lots of alcohol and bourbon in the finish. Before I finish the bottle all I can taste is sweet, sweet, sweet aspartame and bourbon. Just couldn’t appreciate much of the tripels nuances... maybe some extensive aging would do this better justice.

01-09-2007 17:25:29 | More by cabsandking
poundboy

Vermont

3.03/5  rDev -29.2%

This is a good, well crafted beer. I love Allagash's triple, but the oak aging just did not do it for me. I am not a big bourbon drinker and the flavors imparted from the aging in bourbon barrells made it hard for me to drink. I guess I have just gotten sick off of bourbon one too many times and the olfactory reminders of those occurances made this an unpleasant experience for me.

Appearance: Hazy gold with minimal head.

Smell: Vanilla and smoke. Like watered down Jim Beam. Some sweetness underneath, but I detected none of the various fruit flavors others have.

Taste: Dry, with some of the fruitiness and phenols coming through. This beer is somewhat interesting in that it manages to by both sweet and dry at the same time. However the aftertaste is exactly the same as I get from a shot of bourbon. I somewhat enjoy that when I'm drinking whiskey, I did not enjoy it at all in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with some pleasant tingling, sour once swallowed.

Drinkablility: Had a bit of a hard time finishing the glass. Not the beer for me. But many others like it. It is a good beer, just not at all what I am into.

03-05-2005 21:40:05 | More by poundboy
TexIndy

3.05/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured from a 750 corked and caged bottle into a my DT glass. Label shows Aug 2006 bottling with 510 cases bottled. It opened with a good pop and was a clear golden honey color. It barely had a head and that went away quickly. It also had a steady small stream of carb throughout. The smell was very heavy on the oaked bourbon from the barrell. It was so dominant that no other smells really came to the front. The taste followed suit and it made me think of a bourbon and water more than a beer. This barrell trend is really hot right now and I've seen it done well where it adds some new flavor to the beer but this one barely shows any of the beer. Can't tell it was a tripel except for the identification here. I can see why some might love it but for me it's a one and done. Don't recommend. (2.5, NA, ML, N)

05-10-2007 00:51:34 | More by TexIndy
largadeer

Feb 2007 bottle.

Appearance: A rich golden color, very pronounced head and lacing.

Smell: Strong boozy bourbon with lemon, orange peel and just a touch of vanilla. The alcohol overwhelms the delicate base beer, and at the same time doesn't lend much depth itself, just a lot of heat.

Taste: Dry, boozy, slightly tart. The citrusy flavors typical of tripels and the malty vanilla character of the bourbon are equally pronounced here. The alcohol is quite noticable. I would imagine this will mellow with age, but I don't really mind it young; it's just very hot.

Mouthfeel: Extremely crisp and highly carbonated. Despite the complex flavor and heavy booze it maintains a pretty light texture. The rich flavor and alcohol really coat the tongue.

Drinkability: Definitely a sipper - it would take a while to finish an entire bottle alone.

Notes: An interesting experiment, but I think I prefer the Tripel Reserve on its own - the bourbon really overpowers the delicacy of the tripel. I think this would work better with a bolder beer as a base.

06-06-2007 00:52:29 | More by largadeer
DavidEddie

Bottled in May of 2007.

A golden blondish appearance. Very thick white head with some sticky lacing. Aromas of citrus, candied sugar, oak, and soft bourbon. Complex in flavor. Tastes of fruity lemon, green apple, spicy clove, vanilla, and oak. Definitely had that boozy warming effect after each sip. The oak seemed to come out more in the finish. Mouth feel smooth and soft. Moderate carbonation. Overall drinkability was interesting. The bourbon barrel aging didn’t do it for me but never the less it was fun to try. Cheers!

01-07-2008 03:29:02 | More by DavidEddie
Sixpoint

3.08/5  rDev -28%

Overall, I am usually very impressed with Allagash. I think they make a lineup of great beers.

Unfortunately, I did not care for this one as much.

For a triple, the carbonation was lacking. The head quickly dissipated to leave behind a trace of foam.

The aroma actually had a corn smell to it; a slight presence of DMS. The oak aging helped to offset this problem, as it brought out nice shades of vanilla as well.

Overall, the hop flavor was too muted to make the flavor complex. I did perceive a lot of malt, but without the carbonation and nice texture or hop flavor, I thought this beer was too one-dimensional.

08-24-2005 15:37:25 | More by Sixpoint
jmarsh123

Indiana

3.08/5  rDev -28%

Pours hazy light gold with a minimal white head.

Aroma has some upfront fruits. Banana, pear other lighter fruits, vanilla spice and a little graininess. A touch of bourbon

Flavor is similar to the aroma although there is a lot of pepper in the flavor. The banana and fruit notes are nice, but the bourbon and the pepper create an odd and not entirely pleasant flavor profile. This beer seems a bit confused as to what it wants to shine through.

Medium carbonation, mouthfeel on the lighter side with some alcohol present.

Ok concept, but didn't really do much for me. The flavor profile was very muddy and even though I split it 5 ways it still got a bit cloying by the end of the glass.

03-24-2012 16:21:46 | More by jmarsh123
Damian

3.09/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Drank from a 1 pint 9.4 fl oz (750 ml) corked and caged bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA
Bottling September 13, 2012
Served in a tulip

The hazy, yellow-amber liquid was topped by an inch-tall crown of sudsy, off-white froth. Splotches of lacing coated the glass. The head faded to a thin, lasting film.

Belgian yeast notes were apparent in the nose. Crisp, fruity and phenolic. Slightly sweet with subtle vanilla notes. Touch of citrus. Lemon peel was most apparent. Hints of bourbon came through as well.

The flavor profile was rather lackluster. Belgian yeast notes appeared on the front end. Slightly phenolic. Subtle bready, toasty notes were present as well. Crisp, dry and lemony in the center. Hints of tart and bitter citrus rind were noticeable on the back end. The finish was oaky, dry and much hotter than I anticipated. I was amazed that this was only 11%.

The mouthfeel was one of the better things about this beer. It was smooth, supple and frothy. The liquid contained a fine, lively effervescence.

Curieux was a huge letdown, especially considering that I paid nearly $20 for this bottle. Not only was the flavor profile simplistic and quite harsh, but the bourbon element was practically non-existant. Allagash makes some terrific beers, but this definitely is not one of them.

11-03-2013 16:27:33 | More by Damian
Dantes

3.1/5  rDev -27.6%

Package: 750ml corked and caged bottle, labeled 9.5% ABV. Aged in Bourbon barrels and bottle-conditioned. Classic parchment-like buff label with what looks like hand-lettering and explaining special handling.

Cost: $9.99 at Ramsey Liquors

Presentation: tulip glass at ~55º

Appearance: Cloudy, pale yellow color with some burnished tints. Voluminously fluffy, dry, tight head that persisted through both servings. Numerous streams of extremely fine bubbles cut through the cloudy body. Light, insubstantial lacing. Very vigorous cork pop and gunsmoke, with a lot of lees at the bottom of the bottle.

Smell: Quite alcoholic, with strong bourbon vanilla notes. Faint hints of the citrus zest, banana, clove, and coriander that are so lovely in the “plain old” tripel reserve. Not very subtle in beating one about the olfactory bulbs with the bourbon.

Taste: Again, the bourbon permeates the first impressions. It’s hot on the palate, alcoholic, and overly vanilla-sweet. The orange zest and some banana come through, but the rest of the complex flavors I love in this beer are pretty much flattened. There’s some yeastiness and malt, but they are suffused in sweetness. Their tripel reserve (q.v.) is one of my favorite beers, but this just goes too far. Contrary to the regular tripel, this one seems to worsen as it warms, the bourbon becoming even more apparent.

Mouthfeel: Continues the Allagash tradition of bottle-conditioning super-smooth, creamy beers with fine carbonation and great mouthfeel. Without any crispness though, this verges on the syrupy.

Drinkability: Not very for me. I’ll stick with the superior standard offering (practically two for one). This is the second beer in a week (Edition 2004 being the other) that I found to be way too sweet for me.

Backwash: WHAT HAVE THEY DONE WITH MY BELOVED TRIPEL RESERVE! At least they had the good sense not to name this Heresy, which is what it is. I’ve been pretty disappointed with most of the bourbon-barrel aged beers I’ve had lately (e.g. Heresy). Frankly, tripel is one of the last styles I’d expect to show well after being aged in bourbon barrels. It’s a delicate (if high-ABV) beer with a balance of sweet and complex flavors. The bourbon simply overwhelms it. If Allagash wishes to experiment with different expressions, I think aging in port, sherry, or rum casks might work much better.

01-31-2005 23:45:57 | More by Dantes