Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Tripel |  11.00% ABV

Allagash Curieux was the first foray into barrel aging. Curieux is made by aging our Tripel Ale in Jim Beam bourbon barrels for eight weeks in our cold cellars. The aged beer is then blended back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting beer is soft with coconut and vanilla notes, with hints of bourbon.

(Beer added by: Todd on 04-05-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

10% version. Their regular ale,aged for a while in Bourbon casks. The result is smooth but it is corn and us Canucks are not as awesome fans on this taste. Some decent whitish head. Bourbon aroma and it is strong. Interesting enhancement for the style.
RERATE:
21 months later, on draft at Prime 16 and it was tremendous. Bourbon sourness in aroma, in taste. Grapefruit colour, lots of lace. Dramatic improvement in rating, so moving it over to the draft side.
Bottle at brewer. Bourbon aroma. White wine, champagne and funky farmhouse taste.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottled August 2011.

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a 1/2 inch white head that fades to nothing. Thin broken rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, brown sugar, spices, alcohol, coconut, vanilla, and woody aromas. Taste is of sweet malt, brown sugar, spices, coconut, vanilla, some butter flavors, bourbon flavors, and wood. There is an alcohol warmth in the back of the throat after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp and prickly mouthfeel. A medium bodied feel as well. Overall, this is a very good beer with a great barrel-aged flavor. Interesting to see a tripel aged in bourbon barrels.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

2.88/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a lift caramel color that is somewhat opaque. Nose brings forward a god dose of light bourbon along with some caramel sweetness and bread. Sligt spicing. The taste just doesn't really work for me, with some strange bread and banana interacting with the bourbon. It sounds good, but just isn't very appetizig to me. Mouthfeel is a bit boozy and thin. This one just did not work for me.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

A wonderfully well balanced and obviously well made, quality ale. Pleasant full fruit nose with hints of whiskey; big integrated fruit/hop flavors with refined carbonation and some fresh sweet characteristics. Very pleasant bouron finish. This appears to be a drink that would impress and please most.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

A: The beer is cloudy golden yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high dense white head that died down but consistently left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a thick ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of alcohol, bourbon, pepper, vanilla and yeast in the nose.
T: The bourbon flavors from the barrel aging really stand out in front of those of the tripel but are not that strong and also have notes of oak and hints of vanilla. Flavors of fruit, spices and yeast are also present from the underlying tripel.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. There is warming from the alcohol in the finish.
O: The alcohol is noticeable in the both the smell and taste but this doesn’t make the beer overly difficult to drink. It is definitely a good beer to sip.

Note: Bottled August 2011

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a modest head that retains a meringue topping and leaves copious splashes of lace around the chalice

Smell: Smells like a bourbon barrel; but there is a lot going on underneath - pears, candi sugar and a hint of bubblegum

Taste: Starts with a fairly neutral, bready flavor that, mid-palate becomes a fruit/nut (pear and almonds) and coconut blend; after the swallow, the bourbon, vanilla, oak and bubblegum flavors emerge and dominate the finish

Mouthfeel: Light and somewhat effervescent; considerable warming on the finish

Overall: I tried this a few years ago (2006) and have now updated my review (the Feb 2011 bottling consumed in Apr 2011); either the beer has changed a lot for the better or my palate is different, but this is a lot more balanced than my previous experience; really like the way the bourbon and tripel flavors have merged to create a delightful synergy

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Really enjoyed this tremendous beer. Very bold and vibrant from the color to the finish. Begins with a hazy hefeweizen hue, but with a firm belgian strong pale ale aroma. Twangy Belgian yeast with good pilsner malts and candied, along with carying mild woodsy rounded aromas as well. Flavors show more soft Belgian character with Wit-like flavors and textures before the imense alcohols kick in The fruity pears, apricots, pineapples, and berries rest on a cookie dough maltiness. The oak rounds out the rough edges nicely, but the bourbon flavors never rise. They may provide a light vanilla and coconut flavor, but they are slight. The cottony feel is contrasted by thinning alcohols. The heat displays nutral qualities, not phenolic or fusal, plain and simply warm. Finishes powdery and dry with a refreshing citrus lingering. Very good brew; I highly recommend, but not for the bourbon character.

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

Bottle: Poured a hazy (real hazy, I just can’t see through my glass) golden color ale with a medium bubbly white head with minimum retention. Aroma of bourbon is quiet easy to detect but also some real funky yeast is present which remind of a saison or even a lambic without the sourness though. Taste is a bit too sharp in alcohol at first, which kind of ruin it for me since I don’t like the warming feeling. But you get used to it and it seems to disappear (or I might just be getting drunk) and then I can see some traces of a nice abbey tripel with a strong yeast profile, which provide a farmhouse side that I really enjoyed. Overall, probably not something I would go for on a regular basis but I still enjoyed. If I was to rate on experiment alone though, I would have rated this much higher since I appreciated the fact that Allagash tried to do something different.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: half finger head on a murky pale golden with subtle crimson hued body. nice lacing.

S: I really felt like this one had a very weak aroma. Mostly clove, oak, bourbon but I was disappointed here but the flavor makes up for it...

T: Top notch here. up front clove, banana, wheat, earthy hops fade to a bourbon and sweet cedar/oak finish.

M: medium body and moderate to high carbonation and nice moist finish.

Overall: I actually feel I have had better bourbon barreled triples but this is the best I have had that is widely distributed. Very drinkable, alcohol very very well hidden and complex. Only knock is the weak aroma.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

October 2005 bottling. Sun-splashed lemon with a wealth of fine carbonation enlisted in the creation of a regal white head. The texture of the foam isn't quite as spectacular as on most authentically Belgian ales, but it's still mighty attractive. Thick sheets of lace look like they'll stick until the cows come home. Like most Allagash beer, this one is a looker.

The nose is very nice, it's just that I was expecting some indication that the beer was actually aged in Jim Beam barrels. It smells like an excellent, impressively fruity tripel that... wait just a minute... a few more sniffs deliver a little woodiness... that still isn't very whiskey-like. Here's hoping the flavor profile is as advertised. [note: warming opens up the nose so much that it approaches the quality of the flavor at roughly the midway mark of the bottle.]

Curieux is outstanding beer! For some strange reason, my nose didn't identify what my palate is having no trouble identifying and greeting like an old friend. Allagash says there's a 'hint of bourbon'. I respectfully disagree. There's as much bourbon whiskey present as there is tripel. It's no surprise that these guys have found the perfect balance between the base beer (Tripel Reserve) and the flavor imparted by the wood.

Their decision to age the beer in bourbon barrels has done several things. It has effectively eliminated the ethereal complexity of Tripel Reserve and has replaced it with the power and deliciousness of Kentucky's finest. As a bourbon fanatic, I love the outcome. It's as if the brewers created an entirely new world-class beer from one that was world-class to begin with.

The flavor profile consists of ripe, buttery pears; caramelized sugar; charred oak and a huge splash of vanilla. Allagash has definitely done their homework (as always) because they've managed to imbue the beer with the very essence of the barrels' former occupant. As far as I'm concerned, the decision to age the beer eight weeks was perfect.

I love those light and airy Belgian tripels and I also love this one. It's heavily silky, lightly sticky and aggressively carbonated. When the bubbles wear off on the swallow, the flavor lingers with a determination that reminds me of my favorite bourbons. Not only that, but the huge ABV is warming me nicely and is beginning to blur my senses. Time to slow down so that I can finish this review with some sort of coherence.

Curieux had three huge things going for it right off the bat. It's brewed by Allagash, it uses Tripel Reserve (one of my favorite tripels) as its base beer, and it's aged in bourbon barrels (my favorite liquor). Therefore, I'm not the least bit surprised that I've been gobsmacked yet again. If you like beautifully crafted, amazingly delicious, Belgian-style ales with an American flair, it doesn't get any better than Allagash Curieux.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

On-tap at American Craft

A: The beer pours a slightly hazed golden straw color with a finger of white head.

S: Some bourbon and oak does come through, but it's more vanilla and tripel. Lots of spice notes to it with a nice banana and pear flavor. Plenty of sweet malt, mostly bread, and a bit of candi sugar.

T: As with the aroma, not the most intense bourbon flavor. Again, a decent vanilla note, though. I do get some sweet fruits (mostly banana) and a bit of spice character (mostly clove). Again, a fairly strong dose of sweet malt.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Would have preferred a bit more bourbon flavors, but still very nice.

3.53/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought this having very high hopes. I really enjoy Bourbon Barrel aged brews so when I saw this one I was really excited to try it. I opened the bottle and gave it a pour, it comes out as a hazy yellowish gold color with a white head on top. Gave the brew a good noseful and got mostly a sour aroma to it. Perhaps it's from the Oak barrels, thats fine I was expecting a sweet vanilla aroma from the Bourbon or something but it smelled more like a sour tripel than anything else. The taste was basically the same way, Mostly had a tart flavor to it and virtually no Bourbon flavors that I could pick up at all. The mouthfeel was decent, it had a good feel to it and it was still drinkable. Overall I was just a little bummed about this brew to say the least. I was hoping it would have been a bit different than it was. I haveanother bottle that I'm hanging on to, one day I'll have it again.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

On-tap @ Taco Mac in Crabapple (Crabble Mac).

Appearance: Pours a clear blonde body with a small, white head.

Smell: Restrained aroma of bourbon mixed with white wine and candy.

Taste: Bourbon-influenced, semi-sweet pale malt flavor and notes of vanilla, wood. Dash of pinot grigio. Lemon sorbet fruitiness and light spice in back of the bourbon. Hint of honeysuckle. There's plenty of candi sweetness on this ride, but it still manages to finish somewhat dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied bolstered by a creamy mouthfeel. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: It's pretty good. Go on, give it a try. What harm could it do?

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) from Allagash Brewing Company