2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Tripel |  11.00% ABV

Allagash Curieux was the first foray into barrel aging. Curieux is made by aging our Tripel Ale in Jim Beam bourbon barrels for eight weeks in our cold cellars. The aged beer is then blended back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting beer is soft with coconut and vanilla notes, with hints of bourbon.

(Beer added by: Todd on 04-05-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,367 | Reviews: 764 | Show All Ratings:
For_those_near_death

Switzerland

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%

A = anticipation
S= great, but lets not dwell on it
T=life's short, cut to the chase
M=swallowed every time
O=will buy more

ok, the counter says that I must say more- ok, got it. If you are aware of being past 'half way' there, this beer might be for you. Time, sometimes, and beer, is all we have.

03-07-2013 06:27:51 | More by For_those_near_death
apintofknowledge

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Wow! I'd be tempted to give this one 5 across the board, though there's so many beers out there left for me to try that I need to allow some room in case something better comes along...

With that said, I shared this amazing bottle with a few friends last night. All agreed the aroma was just great... honey, vanilla, caramel... all very sweet smells. The taste... it's complex, but very enjoyable. Those initial sweet smells of honey, vanilla and caramel are the first noticable flavors, followed by the noticable but not overpowering influence of the Jim Beam that lingered through the finish. Some citrus came though as well, but more sweet juice orange than sour lemon. I think I can even taste the oak from the barrel in there.

Warm flavors abound, and while there's some spice, no strong bitterness comes through. Even the alcohol taste was quite mild compared with other tripels. All said, a very drinkable and enjoyable one-of-a-kind brew... surprisingly smooth to drink, but nothing simple about the taste. One of the few beers in this price range that is truly worth every penny and then some.

Be sure to read the Alstrom Brothers' article on this one to learn more...

01-30-2005 23:27:41 | More by apintofknowledge
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

October 2005 bottling. Sun-splashed lemon with a wealth of fine carbonation enlisted in the creation of a regal white head. The texture of the foam isn't quite as spectacular as on most authentically Belgian ales, but it's still mighty attractive. Thick sheets of lace look like they'll stick until the cows come home. Like most Allagash beer, this one is a looker.

The nose is very nice, it's just that I was expecting some indication that the beer was actually aged in Jim Beam barrels. It smells like an excellent, impressively fruity tripel that... wait just a minute... a few more sniffs deliver a little woodiness... that still isn't very whiskey-like. Here's hoping the flavor profile is as advertised. [note: warming opens up the nose so much that it approaches the quality of the flavor at roughly the midway mark of the bottle.]

Curieux is outstanding beer! For some strange reason, my nose didn't identify what my palate is having no trouble identifying and greeting like an old friend. Allagash says there's a 'hint of bourbon'. I respectfully disagree. There's as much bourbon whiskey present as there is tripel. It's no surprise that these guys have found the perfect balance between the base beer (Tripel Reserve) and the flavor imparted by the wood.

Their decision to age the beer in bourbon barrels has done several things. It has effectively eliminated the ethereal complexity of Tripel Reserve and has replaced it with the power and deliciousness of Kentucky's finest. As a bourbon fanatic, I love the outcome. It's as if the brewers created an entirely new world-class beer from one that was world-class to begin with.

The flavor profile consists of ripe, buttery pears; caramelized sugar; charred oak and a huge splash of vanilla. Allagash has definitely done their homework (as always) because they've managed to imbue the beer with the very essence of the barrels' former occupant. As far as I'm concerned, the decision to age the beer eight weeks was perfect.

I love those light and airy Belgian tripels and I also love this one. It's heavily silky, lightly sticky and aggressively carbonated. When the bubbles wear off on the swallow, the flavor lingers with a determination that reminds me of my favorite bourbons. Not only that, but the huge ABV is warming me nicely and is beginning to blur my senses. Time to slow down so that I can finish this review with some sort of coherence.

Curieux had three huge things going for it right off the bat. It's brewed by Allagash, it uses Tripel Reserve (one of my favorite tripels) as its base beer, and it's aged in bourbon barrels (my favorite liquor). Therefore, I'm not the least bit surprised that I've been gobsmacked yet again. If you like beautifully crafted, amazingly delicious, Belgian-style ales with an American flair, it doesn't get any better than Allagash Curieux.

02-27-2007 23:33:29 | More by BuckeyeNation
IntriqKen

This is amazing.
May 2007 batch.
A cloudy golden orange fills the glass and is topped with a half finger of densely packed white bubbles that melt to a sticky ring.

Aroma is definitely Belgium Triple with bready, biscuit yeast and soft tropical fruits but it gets quickly buried by the vanilla oak, bourbon and strong alcohol. Don't get me wrong...the aroma is delicious.

Taste is solidly Belguim again....lots of soft tropical fruit, candied sugars and a biscuit bready yeast with lots of strong alcohol warmth and flavors in the end but it is all melded and mellowed by the oak tones that the aging has given it. And then of course is that delicious bourbon undertone to it all.

I love barrel aged beers.
I love the oak aromas.
I love bourbon.
I love an honest Triple.
I love this brew.
Period.

10-27-2007 04:38:17 | More by IntriqKen
maximum12

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Thanks to Dr. Dogbeer who sent this in my very first trade. The label has this one bottled in November 2007. So young.

Pours a cloudy orange with a definite head. Swirling the glass even a little makes it reappear almost instantly. Cool. Smells fantastic!

Tastes even better. The oak gives the bourbon a nice backing & the whole package is subtle & smooth. We're consuming our first bottle with fresh-caught fish & it makes a good meal leap into the magnificent range. The alchohol is definitely present but caught up in the rest of the ingredients & warms my tummy like a warm bottle of milk sucked through the nipple of a baby's bottle. Mmmm.

This is exactly what I was hoping for from an Allagash beer & hadn't quite found it in the few I'd tried. Approachable, subtle, complex, drinkable, tasty, with a smell that starts in my nose hairs & ends someplace in my spinal column. I've vowed to lay off trading for a bit but my wife wants another. OK!

This is a fantastic beer.

05-12-2008 00:32:40 | More by maximum12
jsapunor

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

This is a 2008 bottling. Lots of beautiful white head on a typical tripel colored base. As I drink it, the lacing holds fast to the sides of the glass. A very pretty beer.

The aroma tells you right away that it was aged in bourbon barrels. I've had an '09 bottling and the nose on the 08 is much more civilized; the bourbon is not as overwhealming as in the more recent vintage. There is a definite woodiness lurking in the background.

The '08 bourbon flavor is nicely moderated and blends wonderfully with the oak and tripel in beautiful balance. The alcohol is well hidden. This is a beautiful beer, so good I don't want to finish it. The carbonation delivers all the wonderful flavors in perfect harmony.

Allagash makes great beers and this is one of their best!

06-22-2010 17:49:03 | More by jsapunor
ktrillionaire

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Eternal gratitude to Bobby Z for coming through with this deliciousness.

Bottled July 2005.

A - It pours nearly still, with a slightly hazy orange-tan hue. It seems the color and character of old wood.

S - Smells of barrel, bready, lemony, grassy-leafy, pickled vanilla, oak. Words do not suffice in ascribing the gifts that age has bestowed upon this beer.

T - Huge flavor in this one; notes of oak, vanilla, bourbon, anise and pickling spice. The Tripel which once was has been decimated by age, replaced with a delicious EBW-like testament to the virtues of barrel-aging.

M - Very very rarely can a brew escape the flatness w/o being the 'bammer'; this one does, easily. Silky, velvety, decadently luxurious.

D - The quality here is outrageous. Of course, it took a half-decade of aging to get there, but it was worth it.

10-31-2010 18:41:30 | More by ktrillionaire
ExplosivoSR

Reviewed from notes.

A - Clear golden pale yellow with finger tall head and awesome lacing all the way down.

S - Vanilla, banana, a bit of white wine, just a touch of funk. Bourbon shines through nicely. Very fruity.

T - Vanilla and bourbon up front, and a bit of yeasty spiciness, which leads back into the boozy burn of bourbon. Delicious!

M - Coats the mouth quite nicely with a warming sensation. Medium carbonation.

O - I liked this before, but dear lord this is amazing. I'm in love.

06-19-2011 09:05:03 | More by ExplosivoSR
stmartinpale

Maine

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

This maybe my favorite beer. I love triples and I haven't found one that beats this. I understand that Fin de Monde is good and fairly inexpensive but it does not have the complexity of Curieux nor the flavor. Each time I try it, I find something new. Bananas,nutmeg, spice, certainly bourbon, booze and it all blends perfectly. I love Val Dieu and St Bernardus, even Fin de Monde but Curieux is the cat's ass. It don't get no better.

07-11-2011 23:40:30 | More by stmartinpale
SteveGNC

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Another outstanding beer from Allagash. I think I have enjoyed everything I have tried from them. This one pours very frothy, nice pale orange/yellow color. Great head which dissipates slowly. Wonderful aroma - vanilla, bourbon - but not too much. The taste is fantastic. Some bourbon barrel aged brews are too heavy on the bourbon taste for me - this one gets it perfectly. This may be the first Tripel style that I have tasted that was bourbon aged. Wonderful combination in my opinion. A fantastic sipper - a little pricey, but worth it. I'm going to have to go back and buy a few more. I'm guessing this will be even better with time. This one was bottled in May 11.

09-22-2011 22:06:35 | More by SteveGNC
jtd1969

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

A - mirky golden with a hint of orange. lacing and good carbonation

S - sweet fruit with bourbon. some yeast

T - bourbon, slight banana , some pepper, (not hot), subtle sweetness

M - smooth and mellow, good bourbon mouth burn, yet mild. ABV is noticeable in my opinion.

O - Really really good. A delight to drink anytime, but especially after a long day at work.

09-25-2012 23:48:37 | More by jtd1969
reebtaerG

Maryland

4.81/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass
A-light straw color with white head good lacing
S-smell of tropical fruits and a wood oak and vanilla
T-taste spices at first with a sweet candy and the bourbon oak finish
M-medium body with good carbonation that finishes crisp
O-this is great version of a Belguim triple

11-28-2013 14:09:52 | More by reebtaerG
GClarkage

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

07/18/06- Received in a trade with Jetsbeer.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, bottled in mid 2005. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Dark peach colored elixer. Maybe even on the copper side. Pours with a 1/2 inch head which fades pretty quickly, but leaves behind nice streaks of lacing.

Smell- Tons of oak barrel in the nose. A bit of bourbon fusel alcohol scents as well. Some light spices with a good dose of vanilla. Different and a treat to the nose.

Taste- Vanilla is the first thing to hit my taste buds. A wonderful sweet tongue coating. The oak flavors and absolutely huge in the beer. Very wine like...maybe on the chardonnaly side as my drinking partner Spinlock had mentioned. Bourbon notes come through more as the beer warms. Corriander, powdered sugar and maybe a few alcohol soaked fruits finish it out. As Rachael Ray would say....Yummo!

Mouthfeel- Smooth, silky and a tad dry. Lower on the carbonation level.

Drinkability- I had the abv listed as 9.5 on my excel sheet and thought that it didn't even feel that high...then I looked at the bottle and saw it's actually 11%! Super easy drinking beer that is flavorful and a pleasure to drink. Another big winner from Allagash. Thanks much Steven!

07-20-2006 15:53:55 | More by GClarkage
ZimZamZoom

West Virginia

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

750ml bottle poured into 3 pint glasses (shared this with some lucky friends). Bottled October 2005, consumed November 2006.

This poured a nice light straw color with a thick pure white head. The head took it's time dissipating and left a nice lacing on the glass.

The aroma was oak first,and alcohol second, and that nice yeasty malty tripel all mixed in. The oak in the nose is right out front and very pleasant. I'm a fan of oak chardonnays and this is right up my alley.

Taste is again of oak and alcohol but yet is very smooth going down. You can tell it's strong because it warms you up but by no means does it burn going down. I have never had the Allagash tripel to compare this too, but it does taste like a fine example of the style. The bourbon oak just takes it to a new wonderful level. I am in love with this beer.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth.

This is a great sipping beer. It probably took 30-45 minutes for the three of us to nurse down our 250ml share. Each sip is better than the last, and it is mandatory to take a big whiff of this ale in between sips. Did I mention I love this beer? I have to say it is the best beer I've ever had, though I am no world traveler or anything.

378 cases bottled, 9072 bottles, and I was lucky enough to get a hold of one by total chance. I had never heard of it before but couldn't pass by it when I saw it on the shelf.

11-18-2006 16:47:06 | More by ZimZamZoom
atsprings

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

This one pours a hazy pale orange with a decent head that slowly diminishes to a ring. The aroma is a very strong mix of sweet fruit, oak, citrus hops, yeast and alcohol. The taste is an extremely complex blend of the same flavors that blend together in almost perfect harmony. The beer is quite heavy and the alcohol is somewhat present, but not too harsh for 11%. This is a sipper to say the least, but an extremely enjoyable one.

05-20-2007 01:39:55 | More by atsprings
roblowther

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

750ml corked & caged. Pours a cloudy straw color with little or no head and very little "to do" when the cork is popped. The smell, though, rocks like Sammy Hagar. Apricots, apples, rum, lemons and sweet jeebus my mouth is watering. The taste is right up there. The fruits are there but so is a nice oak, sour mash backing that provides fantastic balance. Wow wow wow. The mouthfeel is silky smooth, bordering on chewy, a remarkable achievement for a tripel. More carbonation than the cork hinted at, enough to stand up to the strong flavors and healthy mouthfeel. The drinkability is great. The alcohol comes on very strongly in the finish, perhaps limiting one's ability to call this perfectly drinkable but dear sweet...holy cow. Get some of this and get me some while you're at it!

08-07-2007 22:20:16 | More by roblowther
brushtachio

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

shared a 750 ml bottle with a co-worker while having dinner at the publick house in the Boston area (Brookline) Poured golden with a temporary head. Well carbonated. The smell was intriguing- vanilla,wood, and bourbon mixed with the traditional spicy sweet aromas of a Belgian trippel. The taste delivered all of what was promised in the nose but in a layered complex way. First, the sweet malty taste. Then a strong bourbon wave that faded to vanilla and wood. Finally finished with the clove, banana and yeast flavors I would expect from a Belgian-style trippel. Really an exciting experience. My co worker doesnt stray from the Macros much, but he really enjoyed it as well. I am currently trying to hunt it down in my area.

06-19-2008 16:56:57 | More by brushtachio
NittanyBeerFan

A bottle from one of only 350 cases bottled in May 2007

A: Pours a cloudy orangey amber. When poured against the directions on the bottle (poured gently) it produces very little head and only a slight bit of lacing down the side. That being said, i don't really expect a tripel to lace...

S: Smell is a lot like La Fin du Monde. A yeasty, fruity tripel. I can tell that there is definitely some bourbon in this beer. There is only a slight scent of booze.

T: Wow. The yeast is definitely there. And the bourbon is the dominant flavor, but there is also a really sweet finish, that tastes a lot like cider. Like I said...wow! As the beer warms and more sediment gets into the glass, the character of this beer just increases. It tastes like bourbon, and the feeling it makes on your tongue feels like the effects of a shot, but you never...NOT ONCE taste booze. What an amazing beer!

M/D: Everything about this beer is perfect. It has low to medium carbonation, and while there is a ton of gravity to this brew, the only thing that takes away from its drinkability rating is the fact that i was already feeling this one after 1/2 of a bottle on an empty stomach. Even so, though I would love to drink 5 of these 750 mL bottles, I can't see it happening, purely because of the ABV%.

11-26-2008 00:13:44 | More by NittanyBeerFan
Ryan011235

Poured into a snifter on 9/1/09

Bottled February 2009

A - Pale, hazy gold in color. 1/2 inch creamy, off-white head. Good retention at the start; thins out, but remains consistent. Lacing is solid. The appearance is stunning.

S - Crisp, light fruits - pears, banana, maybe a bit of white grapes. Bourbon is definitely present. Intermittent whiffs of light bread. Also a bit of a boozy swoon.

T - Dang; this is tasty beer. Bourbon & its vanilla accompaniment are layered expertly with the spice & fruit characteristics of the beer. As with the nose, the fruits are just as crisp to the taste - hints of pears, apricot & apple. A nicely rounded bready malt supports it all. There is a lot going on here; it is difficult to entirely pick it apart.

M - Full-bodied, but not particularly heavy. In my opinion, the carbonation is flawless & complements the other aspects of the beer. A bit of sticky grit hangs around. Alcohol is much less apparent than I would expect for being 11%.

D - Excellent drinkability. This is the first Allagash beer I have tried & they seem to have set a high bar. This beer is clearly well-crafted & I would be interested in how it might react to cellaring. Highly recommended.

09-09-2009 02:19:36 | More by Ryan011235
beergeezer

A truly splendid beer!
This is one of the first beers that I have used a beer rating form.
This is not a cheap beer. Buying this beer qualifies you as being a bona fide beer snob.
It pours out a hazy amber/orange color. It has a small head with fine foam that may look disappointing, but I don't buy beer for the foam. Do You?
It has a fine lace that lasts.
The nose (Yes; THE NOSE. We're beer snobs now!) gives you a sweet aroma of bread dough and pear. No alcohol aroma, that I could discern.
The first sip imparts a moderately sweet flavor, with medium to full body and a light cream texture.
The finish was non alcoholic and not overly sweet.
This is better than the 2004 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine that I sampled last month in Escondido, California. That would be an excellent substitute, but it is only available at their bar, and only in growlers occasionally. Disappointing.
This Allagash brew is absolutely splendid. They have accomplished master craftsman status with this brew aged in oak bourbon barrels.
One of the finest beers I have ever tasted.

03-05-2010 00:03:49 | More by beergeezer
HeeNalu

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

I love any kind of bourbon barrel aged beer, so I decided to pick this one up from the local store.

A - Pours a hazy medium-light golden colour with a decent 2to 3 finger head. Almost perfect for a tripel, if not a touch hazier, which I do love.

S - A subtle not an in-your-face kind of aroma with fruity esters, a bit of banana and clove, and a touch of vanilla. A touch of sweetness, and a fair presence of alcohol. Very pleasurable and well balanced.

T - Pretty obvious sweet alcohol presence, esp as the brew warms, but not harsh or unpleasant at all which has a nice balance of a delicate sourness. A bit of woody taste, almost oak or mild cedar with it's effervescence. Hints of light/noncitrus fruits- tannic apples, bananas, and maybe slight touch of dark grape peel. Lingering effect of the alcohol sweetness, that is in no way cloying or off-putting. Very nice finish that reminds you that you just took a sip of a great brew.

M - Not very carbonated, but enough to give you a pleasant mouthfeel and balance out the flavors. Ever so slightly tingly and enjoyable to let the tastes linger on your palate.

D - For being an 11 percent brew, this is more than drinkable. The alcohol is present, but not off-putting. It is dangerously enjoyable, and has the ability to put an uncontrolled aficionado on his ass rather quickly. Too good for it's own sake.

02-01-2011 06:28:56 | More by HeeNalu
Sachsenfreude

Germany

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

appearance; nearly cystal clear, deep gold with lots of carbonation. Beautiful bleached-white head that diisipates to an attractive film; spirals with a raised center, Remineds me of a distant galaxy. Delicate lacing.

smell; sweel floral notes of mild honey suckle. Also honey and pollen, mixed with sugar cereal grains. Some alcohol aromas mingle with citrusy hops. Caramel malts, when sniffed from the bottle. Pretty complex but the alcohol aroma is a little strong.

taste; very rich, bitter-sweet yeast and alcohol. Some syrupy canned pear flavors, mixed with grainy malts. Tasty citrus rind hops are mild but produce enough bitterness to keep the sweetness from becoming cloying. Some pastry-like malts remain in the aftertaste. Some slightly nutty and acidic flavors come out, similar to eating an acorn from a white oak, mellowed out with a fatty neutralizer. Taste improves as the beer warms.

mouthfeel; nice blast of carbonation and alcohol burn. Numbs the mouth in a warm pleasant way. The body is medium, very lavish and warm, like lobster dipped in clarified butter. Finishes slick and loose, a very smooth drink.

drinkability; An easy drink for 11% abv. but the effects of the alcohol are to be respected.

02-16-2011 18:18:30 | More by Sachsenfreude
HattedClassic

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Appearance:
Pours surprisingly little head that is white and lasts. The beer itself is a cloudy gold.

Smell:
The hops come out strongly and mix very well with the alcohol and vanilla flavor as well. In addition, I also get some Belgian spices and some clover as well.

Taste:
Wow. The taste is nothing like the smell. While the smell is more hoppy, the taste is more vanilla than hoppy. The hops are still there but are mainly present in the aftertaste than anything else. In addition, I get a nice clover taste, which I believe would be the yeast.

Mouthfeel:
Medium bodied with biting carbonation.

Overall:
I thought this was a very good Trippel aged in Bourbon barrels. The flavors and smells blend well together to make a very good beer. I'm definitely going to have to pick this beer up again.

04-21-2013 01:16:02 | More by HattedClassic
MadScientist

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: A golden beer with an orange hue and moderate haze. The white head is a mix of mostly compact bubbles with a few larger soapy bubbles mixed in. It leaves a fine lacing on the glass.

S: A medium-strong orange aroma with medium-light black pepper note and a light malt sweetness. The oak brings medium aromas of vanilla and coconut notes with a subtle whisky character in the background. There is a low floral alcohol aroma.

T: There is a blend of flavors matching the aroma just differing in intensity. The orange still dominates but the honey-like malt sweetness taken with coconut and vanilla from the oak and the light perfume-like, floral quality from the alcohol combine into a sort of adult candy thing, in the vain of how a black licorice or horehound isn't a kids candy. With a medium hops bitterness and a near equal sweetness the balance is about even, but the bitterness has a bit more staying power in the medium finish. The aftertaste is of orange and a slight orange peel bitterness with a light spice note.

M: A medium-full bodied beer with a strong level of carbonation.

O: A flavorful Belgian Tripel with a balanced oak character that compliments the beer and adds to the complex flavors.

09-04-2013 23:29:28 | More by MadScientist
riy3rd

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm not one for all the nuances that a lot of reviewers go into. I do agree that the nose isn't as good as the taste though. This is my favorite beer since I can't get Heady Topper (which I have had). Curieux is smooth and easily drinkable with a wonderful taste.

02-09-2014 18:01:13 | More by riy3rd