Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel)

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Tripel |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 04-05-2004

Allagash Curieux was the first foray into barrel aging. Curieux is made by aging our Tripel Ale in Jim Beam bourbon barrels for eight weeks in our cold cellars. The aged beer is then blended back with a portion of fresh Tripel. The resulting beer is soft with coconut and vanilla notes, with hints of bourbon.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) Alström Bros
Reviews: 833 | Hads: 3,386
4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

750ml corked & caged. Pours a cloudy straw color with little or no head and very little "to do" when the cork is popped. The smell, though, rocks like Sammy Hagar. Apricots, apples, rum, lemons and sweet jeebus my mouth is watering. The taste is right up there. The fruits are there but so is a nice oak, sour mash backing that provides fantastic balance. Wow wow wow. The mouthfeel is silky smooth, bordering on chewy, a remarkable achievement for a tripel. More carbonation than the cork hinted at, enough to stand up to the strong flavors and healthy mouthfeel. The drinkability is great. The alcohol comes on very strongly in the finish, perhaps limiting one's ability to call this perfectly drinkable but dear sweet...holy cow. Get some of this and get me some while you're at it! (785 characters)

Poured into a snifter on 9/1/09

Bottled February 2009

A - Pale, hazy gold in color. 1/2 inch creamy, off-white head. Good retention at the start; thins out, but remains consistent. Lacing is solid. The appearance is stunning.

S - Crisp, light fruits - pears, banana, maybe a bit of white grapes. Bourbon is definitely present. Intermittent whiffs of light bread. Also a bit of a boozy swoon.

T - Dang; this is tasty beer. Bourbon & its vanilla accompaniment are layered expertly with the spice & fruit characteristics of the beer. As with the nose, the fruits are just as crisp to the taste - hints of pears, apricot & apple. A nicely rounded bready malt supports it all. There is a lot going on here; it is difficult to entirely pick it apart.

M - Full-bodied, but not particularly heavy. In my opinion, the carbonation is flawless & complements the other aspects of the beer. A bit of sticky grit hangs around. Alcohol is much less apparent than I would expect for being 11%.

D - Excellent drinkability. This is the first Allagash beer I have tried & they seem to have set a high bar. This beer is clearly well-crafted & I would be interested in how it might react to cellaring. Highly recommended. (1,210 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

appearance; nearly cystal clear, deep gold with lots of carbonation. Beautiful bleached-white head that diisipates to an attractive film; spirals with a raised center, Remineds me of a distant galaxy. Delicate lacing.

smell; sweel floral notes of mild honey suckle. Also honey and pollen, mixed with sugar cereal grains. Some alcohol aromas mingle with citrusy hops. Caramel malts, when sniffed from the bottle. Pretty complex but the alcohol aroma is a little strong.

taste; very rich, bitter-sweet yeast and alcohol. Some syrupy canned pear flavors, mixed with grainy malts. Tasty citrus rind hops are mild but produce enough bitterness to keep the sweetness from becoming cloying. Some pastry-like malts remain in the aftertaste. Some slightly nutty and acidic flavors come out, similar to eating an acorn from a white oak, mellowed out with a fatty neutralizer. Taste improves as the beer warms.

mouthfeel; nice blast of carbonation and alcohol burn. Numbs the mouth in a warm pleasant way. The body is medium, very lavish and warm, like lobster dipped in clarified butter. Finishes slick and loose, a very smooth drink.

drinkability; An easy drink for 11% abv. but the effects of the alcohol are to be respected. (1,221 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

It tastes just like a great Trappist with an oak and bourbon aftertaste. Two completely different tastes that somehow balance each other out. I couldn't have more than one of these but I'll thoroughly enjoy that one. (216 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm not one for all the nuances that a lot of reviewers go into. I do agree that the nose isn't as good as the taste though. This is my favorite beer since I can't get Heady Topper (which I have had). Curieux is smooth and easily drinkable with a wonderful taste. (263 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

This is, for the sake of full disclosure, my favorite beer. It's not a beer that you can consume in any real quantity, but for a glass or two it's about as well as you're going to do.

Strong even for a Tripel, the bourbon flavor is absolutely present but not dominating. It warms, complementing the existing oak, vanilla etc tones cleanly.

Appearance is a brilliant gold, and the nose is divine. One of the best examples I know of of the potential for casked aging. This beer, in short, is a treat. (501 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

I love any kind of bourbon barrel aged beer, so I decided to pick this one up from the local store.

A - Pours a hazy medium-light golden colour with a decent 2to 3 finger head. Almost perfect for a tripel, if not a touch hazier, which I do love.

S - A subtle not an in-your-face kind of aroma with fruity esters, a bit of banana and clove, and a touch of vanilla. A touch of sweetness, and a fair presence of alcohol. Very pleasurable and well balanced.

T - Pretty obvious sweet alcohol presence, esp as the brew warms, but not harsh or unpleasant at all which has a nice balance of a delicate sourness. A bit of woody taste, almost oak or mild cedar with it's effervescence. Hints of light/noncitrus fruits- tannic apples, bananas, and maybe slight touch of dark grape peel. Lingering effect of the alcohol sweetness, that is in no way cloying or off-putting. Very nice finish that reminds you that you just took a sip of a great brew.

M - Not very carbonated, but enough to give you a pleasant mouthfeel and balance out the flavors. Ever so slightly tingly and enjoyable to let the tastes linger on your palate.

D - For being an 11 percent brew, this is more than drinkable. The alcohol is present, but not off-putting. It is dangerously enjoyable, and has the ability to put an uncontrolled aficionado on his ass rather quickly. Too good for it's own sake. (1,365 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

750ml bottle poured into 3 pint glasses (shared this with some lucky friends). Bottled October 2005, consumed November 2006.

This poured a nice light straw color with a thick pure white head. The head took it's time dissipating and left a nice lacing on the glass.

The aroma was oak first,and alcohol second, and that nice yeasty malty tripel all mixed in. The oak in the nose is right out front and very pleasant. I'm a fan of oak chardonnays and this is right up my alley.

Taste is again of oak and alcohol but yet is very smooth going down. You can tell it's strong because it warms you up but by no means does it burn going down. I have never had the Allagash tripel to compare this too, but it does taste like a fine example of the style. The bourbon oak just takes it to a new wonderful level. I am in love with this beer.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth.

This is a great sipping beer. It probably took 30-45 minutes for the three of us to nurse down our 250ml share. Each sip is better than the last, and it is mandatory to take a big whiff of this ale in between sips. Did I mention I love this beer? I have to say it is the best beer I've ever had, though I am no world traveler or anything.

378 cases bottled, 9072 bottles, and I was lucky enough to get a hold of one by total chance. I had never heard of it before but couldn't pass by it when I saw it on the shelf. (1,393 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

07/18/06- Received in a trade with Jetsbeer.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, bottled in mid 2005. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Dark peach colored elixer. Maybe even on the copper side. Pours with a 1/2 inch head which fades pretty quickly, but leaves behind nice streaks of lacing.

Smell- Tons of oak barrel in the nose. A bit of bourbon fusel alcohol scents as well. Some light spices with a good dose of vanilla. Different and a treat to the nose.

Taste- Vanilla is the first thing to hit my taste buds. A wonderful sweet tongue coating. The oak flavors and absolutely huge in the beer. Very wine like...maybe on the chardonnaly side as my drinking partner Spinlock had mentioned. Bourbon notes come through more as the beer warms. Corriander, powdered sugar and maybe a few alcohol soaked fruits finish it out. As Rachael Ray would say....Yummo!

Mouthfeel- Smooth, silky and a tad dry. Lower on the carbonation level.

Drinkability- I had the abv listed as 9.5 on my excel sheet and thought that it didn't even feel that high...then I looked at the bottle and saw it's actually 11%! Super easy drinking beer that is flavorful and a pleasure to drink. Another big winner from Allagash. Thanks much Steven! (1,231 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +13.3%

A truly splendid beer!
This is one of the first beers that I have used a beer rating form.
This is not a cheap beer. Buying this beer qualifies you as being a bona fide beer snob.
It pours out a hazy amber/orange color. It has a small head with fine foam that may look disappointing, but I don't buy beer for the foam. Do You?
It has a fine lace that lasts.
The nose (Yes; THE NOSE. We're beer snobs now!) gives you a sweet aroma of bread dough and pear. No alcohol aroma, that I could discern.
The first sip imparts a moderately sweet flavor, with medium to full body and a light cream texture.
The finish was non alcoholic and not overly sweet.
This is better than the 2004 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine that I sampled last month in Escondido, California. That would be an excellent substitute, but it is only available at their bar, and only in growlers occasionally. Disappointing.
This Allagash brew is absolutely splendid. They have accomplished master craftsman status with this brew aged in oak bourbon barrels.
One of the finest beers I have ever tasted. (1,065 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Allagash a perfector of the Belgian style came through with a twist on this beer, barrel aging. This company decided to barrel age their already stellar Triple. Now this doesn't come in over the top super potent heavy alcohol barrel aged feel but more so a slightly whisky-ish notes at the finish. (297 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Had this just an hour or so ago on-tap at the Bier Haus in Savannah, GA; it was wonderful and not like anything I've had before. Had a great taste with a little bourbon flavoring and was smooth as silk until I almost licked the glass clean. Maybe I will get a few of the bombers when I see them... (298 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

General - I got this 22 oz bottle from a store a couple of weeks ago. Really nice corked bottle. Drinking it out of a chalice type glass that I had.

Appearance - The color is around an SRM 7 or so, beautiful light golden. Head was a light white frothy but it quickly faded. Fairly clear with just a touch of chill haze. This is a little too cold to be drinking right now, just out of the fridge.

Aroma - MMMM Bourbon! This thing has a big hit of the bourbon barrel that it was aged in. There is also an alcohol scent, not unsurprising with the 11% ABV on this bad boy. in the background there are some light citrus scents with a touch of banana. Really great scent.

Taste - If God were to brew a beer, it would taste like this. Seriously this is one of if not the best triples that I've had. The flavor of bourbon is perfect with the alcoholic burn and slight fruitiness. Amazing is all I can say.

Mouthfeel - A slightly thin feeling with a moderately high carbonation level. There is an alcoholic burn on the back of the throat also.

Overall - Wow, this is awesome. I couldn't ask for a better beer after a long day. Refreshing yet strong with a lot of great flavor. (1,177 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

A- Viscious white head two fingers embracing a fizzy yellow beer. Great lacing and there apears to be head on head on head.

S- vanilla, coriander, orange peel, wood, citrus!!!

T- fresh banana peel, tart pear, sour apple (NOT TOO MUCH!!! JUST SOMETHING I FRIGGIN NOTICED! GOSH!), strong dry finish that warms your guts!

M- light, but fluffy, like a bunch of cotton thats soaked in cider!

D- This beer is bad ass and im going to drink some more now. (451 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Live review. The fourth of four Allagash 750 ML corked and caged bottles that I picked up at Rozi's Wine House in Lakewood. This one was $13.99. I was especially happy to find this since Tripels are my favorite style and this one is one of the highest rated ones out there. Bottling February 2008. Cases Bottled 650. 11% ABV. Poured into my gold rimmed Gulden Draak tulip glass.

A Bold golden yellow body (darker than the Allagash Tripel reserve that I sampled and rated yesterday under a similar fluffy white head of about 3 inches. Great lacing on the inside of the tulip and even some visible sediment (the yeast?) in the bottom of the glass. My second tulip glass (presumably from the bottom of the bottle) was darker than the first, probably due to the sediment. Allagash yet again displays its mastery of a style just in the look of this beer. 5.0

S Just a great smell of bourbon barrel aged goodness with the great sweet malt and Belgian yeast of the Allagash Tripel that admired in their very good Tripel Reserve. The bourbon smells really create a fruity, caramel kind of bigness to the beer that suits it very well. The smell cannot be improved. 5.0

T All of the promise that the smell displayed carries right over into the taste. What a great idea to take a great beer to begin with (the Tripel) and bourbon barrel age it. I had RIS Bourbon barrel aged in the past but this shows me that it should be done more often with "lighter" beers such as this tripel. The taste reminds me of Great Lakes Rackhouse Ale (another Bourbon Barrel aged light colored beer). For most the taste would likely be too sweet and the sweetness is high for sure but I love this level of sweetness. There is more "warmth" from the alcohol in this one vs. the Tripel Reserve. I love the combination of flavors here. There is a great light caramel like flavor from the bourbon and sweet malt. 5.0

M As suggested, really big and syrupy sweetness in just a great mouthfeel. 4.5

D For this high of an ABV it is insanely drinkable. I found the bottom of both tulip glasses very quickly indeed. Due to its bigness (taste and ABV) I cannot give it the highest ratings for drinkability. These two tulips will be enough for me tonight. 4.0

Notes: Simply a great beer from Allagash that everyone reading this should try. I can easily see buying one of the 650 cases that were produced in February 2008. Tripel is my favorite style and this and Weyerbacher Merry Monks are probably my favorite examples. (2,484 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

Definitly one of the best beers that I have had. It is so smooth and flavorful. I love the sweet floral scent that you get drinking this from a snifter. The appearance betrays its power. It is a very light and hazy straw colored beer. It has a slightly sweet and malty taste with a hint of hops. It has a really rich malt flavor. The barrel aging has really mellowed this beer. No bitterness and no bite at the end. Just smooth and rich flavor. (444 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a pint bottle into a Duvel tulip goblet... a bit of celebration after finishing final exams :)

Came out a very hazy, almost opaque, orangey-ambery gold. Whispy, very thin head with some larger bubbles, but it's not terribly carbonated - head retention is poor, even in the scored duvel glass. Somehow, though, I can tell just by looking that this will be a particularly flavorful beer.

In the nose, I catch some hay and other various barnyard scents. Then the bourbon barrel becomes present, with some other fresh woody tones, followed by the rest of the familiar tripel scents - sweet, but in a sort of tart way.

After my first sip, I nearly dropped the glass it was so delicious. The barrel-aging is very evident, and adds just the right amount of spice to the natural sweetness of this brew. My favorite thing about Tripels is that they hide just how alcoholic they are, and while you can certainly taste a little (accented by the bourbon), it tastes nowhere near as strong as it actually is - leading to fine sip- and drink-ability. I fear I may have served it too chilled, however, as the flavors take a particularly long time to develop in the mouth. That, or this beer is just that thorough. The sweet, ever so sour/tart aftertaste is quite the pleasant reminder of every sip... or glass.

In the mouth, it feels far more carbonated than it looks. Whether this is by design or not, I'm not sure, but I like it. Goes down smooth but weighty, and will warm you up well. Based on taste and mouthfeel, exhibits excellent drinkability.

Might be my new favorite, as I continue to explore all available options. (1,627 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

On draft at Brixx pizza in Charlottesville, VA.

Thin head (small glass, and not poured by me) and complex lacing, like a fractal. Clouded golden body.

Citrus and tangy hops on the nose.

Taste is amazing. Oaky, smooth, sweetish, malty-- complex and excellent on several levels. Buttery, faintly citrusy; completely balanced and utterly luxurious. This is the taste of privilege. Clean finish and almost no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is rich and luxurious to mathc. Smooth-textured and creamy.

One of the best I've had this year. To nitpick, the smell was really unassuming, but I got a pour with a very thin head, so that may explain that. It's easy to see now why the bottles command such a high price, but it was quite reasonable on draft. (740 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

One of the best beer i have ever had.
Beautiful head, lacing all the way down the tulip, just gorgeous.
Its a tripel aged in bourbon casks and it smells like it. I get the classic phenolic tripel smell with cloves, bread and a hint of bananas, along with the vanilla of bourbon,
Tastes amazing, classic tripel flavors, but so creamy so smooth with the oak and bourbon in the mid-palate.
This beer has the best mouthfeel of any beer i have ever had, so smooth and creamy.
I don't care if this beer is 16 bones a pop , i will buy several bottles every time i see it. One of the best beers i have ever had. (605 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The beer is a beautiful hazy deep blonde gold color.

The aroma has a sweet caramel, barrel characteristic with oak, and sweet apricot. Lemon, spice. You can surely get that this what it is. Tripel that is barrel aged.

The taste has a barrel aged sweetness, Belgian yeast, fruity sweetness, lemon, pineapple. Then there's some rich flavors with oak, bourbon barrel with the coconut, vanilla.

There's a boozy finish as this is at 11% ABV. My favorite tripel so far. It's not your standard fare, but this really is spectacular. (529 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Labeled as "Bottling February '05." 11% ABV.

Appearance: Poured into a 25 oz crystal sniffer. Cloudy reddish orange with a thick, creamy white head. Excellent head retention. Very smooth head. Light swirling revives the head to full size.

Smell: Apple, pear, pepper, grass, and a strong alcohol scent. There's also a flutter of a wood aroma.

Taste: Smoky and slightly toasty flavor. Sweet, dry scotch flavor. Sandy, with a big malty and fruity flavor. Light apple, lemon, and a crisp wood flavor that lasts through into the aftertaste. The wood is very much like hickory or mesquite in flavor. It reminds me of the wood chips used to smoke meat. Earthy and gritty in a good way. A light hop ending as well with a bit of yeasty spice. There's also a very light lingering alcohol flavor that is balanced very well with the woody malt flavors. This tastes great. It is not your ordinary tripel.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and velvety. Well carbonated but not sharp on the palate at all. Coats the palate very well and the flavor opens up nicely.

Drinkability: This beer is absolutely delectable. Wonderfully smooth with a balanced and complex flavor. Other brewers should strive to brew something this good. (1,216 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Serving Type: Bottle, bottled february 2005.
Consumed out of a large Brandy snifter.
Aged two years.

Appearance: Very light copper color, slightly unfiltered, nice head retention. Leaves a nice Belgian lace on glass.

Smell: Very Little Oak, Big Bourbon nose, slight hint of vanilla, and caramel.

Taste: Tip of the tounge gets a heavy residual sugar hit, sides of the tounge pick up the destinct bourbon flavor, back center of tounge gets the nice sour belgian charecteristic, Finish is shorter then I expected considering the huge aroma, it does linger for several seconds gradually mellowing, with oak undertones.

Mouthfeel: Fells Light and clean, expected to be shocked with a huge bourbon kick, but it's very well balanced for a beer at 11% ABV.

Drinkability: Dangerously smooth for those who like Bourbon aged beers, Love the big bourbon aged beers but most leave me satisfied with one snifter, this one can be consumed a little to quick for a beer of this SIZE.

I will Say this at the top of my list for Bourbon aged beers. Very nicely done Allagash. Keep up the good work (1,099 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Only got this beer because I had a gift certificate and would not normally spend the money. Poured a straw gold color with about a finger of quick dissipating head. Smells like bourbon with a touch of caramel. Light on the mouth with lots of carbonation I want to say the same as most Belgian style beers. alcohol is hidden well with oak malt and yeast. Some fruit ester from the yeast. would suggest this beer. Maybe I'll stop being such a tight ass and start splurging on beers like this more often. (501 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Allagash has a lot of good beers and this one fits near or maybe at the top. For an 11% alcohol beer it is easy to drink. It is some and really tasty like the grand cru, but you get a hint of burbon from the oak aged barrels. It is the smoothest 11% abv beer I have ever drank. It is a little price at $10-12 per bottle, but it is very good. I have only been in Maine for a couple of months, but Allagash has nothing but good brews. (432 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Wow! The character of this beer is bold and beautiful. Deceivingly strong, the alcohol never gets in the way of the warm, rich, woody flavor. Smooth from the top to the bottom this is a world-class brew. Now if we could just get a beer aged in Jack barrels I'd be totally satisfied! (282 characters)

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel) from Allagash Brewing Company