Allagash Odyssey - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-30-2005

Allagash Odyssey is a dark wheat beer aged for ten months, a portion in oak barrels and the remainder in stainless tanks. The recipe includes 2-row barley, malted wheat, a generous amount of roasted barley and Belgian candi sugar. This deep brown beer boasts an aroma of black treacle and raisin. The flavor hints at dates, with a mildly roasted finish imparted by aging in both medium and heavy toast American Oak barrels. The finish is dry, punctuated by vanilla.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Odyssey Alström Bros
Reviews: 406 | Hads: 1,150

My brother Joseph passed away this weekend at the young age of 27. He was my best friend and brother in life. This was one of his favorite beers, he always wanted me to try it. I found one tonight and cracked it in his honor. I'm not in the mood to review specifics, I will only say he was right, this is one of the best BSDA's I have ever tried, possibly the best. This beer goes beyond complexity and flavor. It is amazing. One of the few beers I've had worth 20 bucks a fifth and I've had a bunch. Seek this out and toast to a great BA'er Joseph London-he would for you.

Much love Joseph, I will never stop missing you brother. (631 characters)

A.. Beautiful dark brown with a good amount of thick head. Lace remains throughout.

S.. Various fruit notes as well as cloves perhaps. Sweetness without being candy sweet.

T.. Subtle and very complex fruit flavors. A maltiness that was not expected but us beautiful; not a bread-like malt flavor, just a delicious flavor. I am almost speechless.

M.. Easiest high ABV beer I have ever enjoyed, this one goes down smooth and quiet, despite being above 10%.

O.. Perfection. (476 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

A - Carbonation is high. Deep Reddish Brown in color.

S -Plum, raisin, brown sugar, and some oak.

T - So good. Chocolate, raisin, prune, caramel, spice, lots of dark ripe fruit.some smokiness, oak finish. It had a good bitterness along with the mounds of fruit, yeast and smooth malt character. Very complex. It was so good.

M - Medium body with high carbonation. Extremely smooth. Delicious.

O - Beer is something special. So glad I got a pour from this outstanding keg of beer. (483 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Oak barrel vanilla aroma begins the show, followed by a hint of wine, alcohol, dark malt sugars.
Pours deep dark garnet brown under a lightly tan tinted 2" moussey foam cap. Lacy with legs.
A touch of chocolate on the palate followed by caramel, rich malt, vanilla, fruit.
Medium body and medium high carbonation. Very creamy smooth - almost nitro beer creaminess. Very drinkable. Some warming but you do not notice the 10.4% alcohol. (436 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +16%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter at cellar-room temperature. Bottled December 2011.

L – Ruby brown color with a 2-finger cream-colored head that is bubbly and rocky at first, then progressing to a cap of froth reminiscent of a nitro beer (think Guinness). Excellent retention and lacing with great clarity and tons of bubbles. This is also the first time that I’ve ever seen “legs” in a beer. I’m sure I’ve had beers with them before, but this is the first time that they’ve really stood out to me.

S – This aroma has some incredible things going on. There are tons of malty-sweet scents. I’m getting caramel, molasses, brown sugar, dark candi sugar, raisins, figs, dates, a hint of cocoa, and some vanilla. There’s also the perfect amount of musty, woody oak. This is a fantastic-smelling beer.

T – The taste follows the aroma perfectly and is just as phenomenal. It’s sweet nearly all the way through with caramel, molasses, raisins, dates, figs, and vanilla. Some cocoa comes through as the taste progresses. At mid-taste, some spicy clove-like yeast flavors appear and serve as a great introduction to the woody, dry oak that shines at the finish.

F – Medium-to-full-bodied with great carbonation, a sticky, prickly, creamy, and mouth-coating feel all in one, and a sweet, slightly spicy, and dry finish. Malt sweetness, clove spiciness, and oak dryness all linger and combine amazingly with a very smooth throat-warming sensation from the alcohol.

O – This beer not only rivals most good actual Belgian strong dark ales, but also surpasses a good amount of them. If I did a blind tasting, there is no way I would think that this was from anywhere other than Belgium. Even the mouthfeel mimics the true Belgians. Of all the aspects of a beer, I’ve found that American brewers have the hardest time finding the right Belgian mouthfeel. Drinking this beer was a truly wonderful experience. I can’t give a beer a perfect 5, but this is very, very close. It stands up with some of the best Belgians out there. This is a must try. (2,070 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

A GREAT BEER HERE> pours a dark brown with a thin tan head. Aroma of caramel, dark fruit, and a boat load of malt. Smooth body, alcohol % well hidden. Flavor is of tasty maly and rasiony dark fruit. The oak is there in both the flavor and aroma. Great stuff, I enjoyed it and look forward to another. (303 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

BSDAs are hard to master but when one is, I don't think there is a better beer. I had high expectations for this beer and they have been met and surpassed.

The appearance is a deep ruby brown with a light brown, stubborn head that refuses to budge which floats atop. In the several minutes it has taken the head to recede, it has left its signature of rings on the glass.

The smell is a perfect and well-balanced blend of fresh, ripe fruit and malt. However, the taste is where this beer is king. The complexity of a good BSDA is so meticulous it is impossible to decipher what and how much.

Let's see. There is pear, plum and raisin. I detect green apple, slight molasses as well as a touch of clove and cinnamon.

The mouthfeel is satin on the tongue. It is light, fluffy and silky. It caresses the taste buds upon its departure and while making its journey to its resting place. Just if it were thicker it would have the ultimate score.

Drinkability?: I just finished a 750 ml bottle. Too bad there isn't a store I can get another open at 1:37am (1,055 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

Another brew from the most generous trader NutBrown. Thanks Alan!

1 year old as it was bottled September 2008.

A nice pop when I removed the cork, it pours a clear deep amber brown colour with about an inch of offwhite foam. When I hold the glass to the light, I get some ruby red highlights. The lacing is top notch so overall...a beautiful looking brew in my New Belgium goblet.

The smell makes me audibly say...oooh. I'm getting a ton of caramel malt sweetness, dark fruits like figs and maybe plums or rasins or both, some fine oaky goodness, man. Oh and when I say a ton, I don't mean it literally as the nose is not overpowering by any means; I just mean there's so much complexity that my nasal passage doesn't know which way to turn. ;^)

First sip...is the wow! Nice caramel malt sweetness that is immediately balanced by dark fruits, raisins and figs and slight tartness, goodly amount of some bready malt and....a very nice flavour from the oak that isn't too bold and brass so as to take away from everything else that is going on here. Allagash did one hella good job with the oak aging here!

The mouthfeel is on the low side of medium with the carbonation defintley low but it suits this brew to a T! The foam shrinks quickly during the session as does the lacing but at no time do they completely leave the scene. That warms the cockles of my heart. Speaking of warming...

Drinkability? Sitting here, enjoying every sip from my glass, I would have never guessed this puppy weighs in at 10%abv. Want proof? I never mentioned anything about alcohol, abv, warming, etc in the taste area of my review. To be honest, this "feels" like a brew with a much lower abv content. More like 6% or 7%abv at the most. How the hell did they do it?? More importantly, I'm super glad that they *did* do it, by what ever means. In my book, this garners top score for drinkability.

Bottom line: Great looking brew with a nose that will grab your interest from your first whiff, for sure, the splendiferous taste, the lightish but smooth mouthfeel, and the exceptional drinkability....all in all, this brew just blew me away! (2,126 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

A - This beer poured a dark amber color that produced a huge fluffy white head that had good retention and laced the side of the glass nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer had a great mixture of malts, figs, some spiciness

T - The taste of this beer was quite beautiful and complex, the bready malts, fruit mixture of figs, plums, and raisins, toffee, brown sugar and clove are just some of the things I got out of the taste

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light to moderate body with a huge amount of carbonation

D - This beer was one to remember, and I really hope I do, the taste of this beer is something that magnifies with each and every sip, I cannot wait to get some more (695 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a dark reddish brown with a very thin off-white head. Aroma and flavor both have heavy wafts of oak and vanilla. Some hints of toffee and the sweetness is palpable on the nose even before you taste. It had a nice medium body and mouth feel -- not too light or too heavy. Doesn't have a ton of bitterness, but just enough to remind you that you're drinking a beer and not Malta or a bourbon. I bought a bottle at the brewery over the summer of 2011, cracked it open for the holidays that year. Lets hope they still have some when I head back up this summer -- might be my favorite Allagash brew. (600 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +15.3%

Really enjoyed this beer. The beer looks like a darker stout, but it has a lighter more refreshing taste….somewhere between a roasty coffee taste and a lighter ale. I was expecting a stronger taste considering the ABV. The beer was pretty pricey, but that could have been due to its rarity outside of the New England area. If you can get your hands on it, I would recommend. (380 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +15.1%

Very dark with flimsy white head (I pour slowly so I wont hold the flimsy head against it).

Smells of light alcohol with a wonderfully sweet, read molassas, allspice sent.

Light vanilla, oak wonder full malt and again I get allspice. The sweetness complements the alcohol very nicely. So wonderful.

To figure out it was allspice I had to run to my spice rack and do a blind smell sample a few. Some of the spices I tried included clove, coriander seed and nutmeg. Of those allspice seems to be the key; maybe a hint of nutmeg.

Mouthfeel: thick creamy with champagne bubbles.

Unlike the Curieux this is very drinkable. Alcohol is near perfectly balanced with tastes.

I would definably put this up against any wine any day. Simply adorable. (758 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Bottled Feb. 2005 - Glossy black body with deep burgandy highlights within. Inch high, puffy tannish foam sits for good length before settling to a big fluffy collar and a solid skim. Minimal lacing in small globby strings and a few spots.

Heavenly aroma of vinous-like oak decorated in lots of dark nuances of dark fruity malt, black licorice, tootsie roll chocolate, carob, vanilla, and a splash of good Ol' alcoholic breath.

Taste has an emaculately creamy front that's airy and rounded with a full brunt of dark fruity malts. Has a short stay middling area of chocolate and date flavors. Lively and full on the swallow with warmth and alcoholic texture bringing a breeze of vanilla and port flavors. Hints to carob, root beer, black licorice and, anise. Finishes great with great length and memory with a leftover melting pot of rich chocolate laced with dark fruityness and sticky maltyness and lightly fluffed with some cocoa powder composition. Its much more complex then what I'm able to describe and soak in, but take my word for it. Its damn good!

Feel is a very solid medium body with a uniform ride of interchanging full areas gliding from point to point, as do warming qualities, creamyness, smoothness, and maltyness. Looong finishing area, it sticks with you for a day and a half. A very complexing texture and character to this beer. Quite spectacular!

Yum, yum, and yum, this stuff is killer! Fantastic job by Allagash. No surprise really, but damn I could never get sick of this stuff. Me likey.

Two thumbs for RealityDeviant for coming through and getting me some! (1,598 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.6%

750 mL corked and caged. Bottling September 2008. Cases Bottled: 530. 10.3% ABV.

Pours a dark, rich brown with little to no head. Aroma of candied raisins, molasses, and spices.

Warm and whole in the mouth. More candied fruit - figs, raisins and dates; toffee, spice, dark molasses and something bready - somewhere between rum cake and the bread they serve at Outback. Incredibly quaffable for something with over 10% ABV - the alcohol is barely fainted at on the tongue but warms the belly.

Delicious, complex, and warming on a chilly November day. (553 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Has this at Columbia Ale House and have it a 5. Wanted to have it again to give it a full review to see if it could hold on to the rating. Absolutely an awesome beer with very little to knock. I will certainly be willing to buy this again despite the cost. (256 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Thanks cookin420 for this one. Large corked bottle poured into a goblet. Bottled January 2008.

Reddish brown, quite dark, with a medium sized tan head, creamy and compact that holds forever, and coats the sides of the glass with a very nice looking sheet of lacing.
Rich aroma, fruity mostly, with figs and raisins, sweetish malts, candy, grapes, oakiness, vanilla, and a lot of other pleasant, unidentified aromas.
Mouthfeel is just perfection, creamy and full, velvety and just moving it around the mouth is quite a pleasure.
Fruitiness is also the dominant flavor, mostly sweet, but finishing dry. Oak, vanilla, figs, plums, raisins, candy, peppery notes. It keeps changing, and it keeps getting better. An absolute masterpiece, I wish I had more. (754 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Dark raspberry tea with a great deal of carbonation leading up to a gorgeous cap of golden ecru froth that filled more than half the glass on the pour. Backlighting brings out wonderful ruby highlights that make a fantastic looking beer look even better. Now this is how a BSDA should look.

The aroma is impressive. It was merely good initially, but with warming has acquired a power and a complexity that mirrors the flavor profile. With a wee bit more vividness and more definition, it could easily compete with the best Belgians. Hell, it just might do so now. I smell figs, tobacco and ground clove above all else.

Odyssey is amazingly delicious beer! Rarely, if ever, has my mouth been so awash in so many flavors that change from the beginning of each mouthful to the end. I've only had a few samples so far, but this might be the best BSDA that I've ever had. I bow before the brilliance of Allagash.

I'm not even sure where to begin in attempting to describe what I'm tasting. First off, this beer eschews power for nuance. That isn't to say that it isn't absolutely bursting with flavor, just that it's so refined and so angelic in the mouth that one doesn't feel as if they're being bullied the way that some big beers tend to do.

Sweetened fig puree, sticky dates, raisins, the finest oak-aged single batch bourbon, light molasses, dark toffee, plum jam, pipe tobacco, cloves... and on and on and on. Even though there's a considerable amount of sweetness, it doesn't come close to sticky or cloying. Like just about everything else about this beer, the sweet-bitter-sour balance is sheer perfection.

I originally felt that the mouthfeel was a tad too light to be deserving of the ultimate score. No longer. I can't imagine a more heavenly mouthfeel than the one greeting me with each and every sip... now that I'm well into the middle of the bottle. It's such a perfect (there's that word again) combination of suppleness, silkiness, light chewiness and buoyant carbonation that no other score is possible.

Allagash proved long ago that they're one of my favorite breweries in all the world. No other American brewer so reliably recreates the classically Belgian styles, and oftentimes meets and surpasses the best that that country has to offer. Simply put, Odyssey is an outstanding BSDA and is one of the best beers of any style that I've ever had the pleasure to drink. (2,403 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Bottled October 2006

Pours a deep burgundy with substantial tan head that dissipates slowly.

Dark fruity malt and sweet molasses to the nose.

Taste is spectacular. A bit of the alcohol comes through among a balanced and complex burst of flavor.

Mouthfeel is smooth and moderately carbonated.

Great drinkability, this is one to savor and analyze. One of the most enjoyable brews of this style I've tried recently. (430 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Deep brown in color; hints of orange & red when held up to the light. Translucent. Appears almost black in the glass. Pours with a huge 3+ finger very light tan creamy head; it dies down gradually leaving a thick even layer of foam on the surface of the beer and lots of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. Enticing. Perfect!

Smell: Roasted coffee, sweet malt.

Taste:Roasted coffee, mild sweet chocolate, mildly grainy. Delicious.

Feel: Mild fuzzy sensation from carbonation to start; smooth velvety feel in the middle; mildly dry finish. Medium towards full body.

Overall: Unique and wonderful beer. Full, delicious flavor. Full body but not heavy. I definitely wanted to drink more and will look to repurchase! (740 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

Bottled September 2008, 750mL bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Deep, rich, reddish-brown color, with a slight swirled head. Not as thick-bodied an appearance as other Belgian and Belgian-style ales.

S - Prominent oak, raisins, dates, thyme, and musk. Has that alluring "sweet attic" smell that, for whatever reason, I always associate with sepia-colored photographs. Outstanding nose.

T - I'll just say, I am impressed at the fullness of flavor for such a young Belgian-style ale. Less sweet than I expected, though I am not at all disappointed. All of the oak, dried fruits, and spice from the nose with a touch of ginger, clove, and vanilla. Words don't really do this brew justice.

M - Less viscous than other Belgian-style ales, but has that lingering taste on the back of the tongue and the warming effect of strong Belgian ales.

D - Beers with such high alcohol content and flavor complexity often end up getting described as not being a "session beer," but I find that to be somewhat limiting. When I finish this 750mL bottle, I'll want more (though probably against my better judgment). This beer is deceptively drinkable, and would pair very well with food - either a "sophisticated" burger or a cheese plate (think aged Swiss cow's milk, creamy blues, or a younger aged Gouda.). Take it slow and enjoy each sip.

Complex and complete, this brew exceeds my high expectations. If you like strong Belgian ales, get your hands on this beer now! (1,456 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

after having heard from a couple of people that this was just an awesome beer i just had to have it. i work in a supermarket and i work the beer section i just had to get this. after calling my beer guy i got 2 cases in. after having this i now have a favorite beer. the flavor was just amazing and has the smell of vanilla. i bought a second bottle just to age and cant wait until that is ready to taste (404 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

A- Really thick tan head on a black body but when held to light it is really clear deep ruby.
S- Bourbon, wood, vanilla, sweet big malt body, toffee, grass hops, big earthy tones, alcohol comes through and stings the nose a bit, and hints of some dark fruits like plum and raisins. Really complex aroma!
T- Very well balance and complex flavors. The bourbon barrel comes through nice a big but not over whelming. Pretty much follows the aroma in the flavor but everything seems very well balance. Pretty decent size bitterness along with some hints of spice like black pepper. The vanilla almost has its own show as it comes through very nice and even stays in for the after taste. raisins also come through nice and big too.
M- Medium body with light bubbly carbonation.
D- I really like this. Seems like everything is perfectly placed. Great brew! (853 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

The beer poured a deep black with a decent head that slowly diminished. The aroma was a unique blend of dried fruits and oak. The taste was similar with the flavors playing off each other very nicely. The beer was medium bodied and the alcohol was well hidden for a 10% brew. This is a truly unique beer. (304 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

This is a sublime beer. It has a dark red-brown color with a moderate-sized creamy head. It has a sweet spicy odor with vanilla undertones as well as some spice. A sweet taste, with a charcoal/smoky flavor. A very good mouthfeel, not too bubbly. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, and could drink it all night, except its 10.4%ABV precludes this (at least if I want to function the next day). (389 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

750ml bottles in February 05. Pours out a very dark brown with a healthy sized light tan head filling the rest of the chalice. Streaky and clumps of lace coated the glass for the most part. Sweet candy sugar and big dark ripe fruitiness hit my nose first. Good amount of spiciness was there as was a bit of dark chocolate. Light alcohol notes as it warmed, very delicious smelling. Taste has a big fruitiness up from with figs and plums with some brown sugar sweetness. A mix of spices is in there but I can’t pick any out. Caramel, oak and some bourbon notes all mix flawlessly adding to the incredible taste. As it warmed the alcohol showed its face more but never added negatively to the flavor. One of the best tasting Belgian Dark Ales I have ever had. Pretty thick and creamy body with a bit of a warmth to bit due to the big alcohol. Ridiculously drinkable. With as strong as the alcohol is and the complexity in this brew it went down very easy and I wish I had another bottle to follow it with. Excellent stuff. (1,021 characters)

Allagash Odyssey from Allagash Brewing Company