Allagash Interlude - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash InterludeAllagash Interlude

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  9.50% ABV

Two yeast strains were used to create this unique 9.5% ABV Belgian style ale. The first, a Belgian farmhouse yeast, establishes the flavor foundations of a classic Belgian-style ale. The second, a house strain of Brettanomyces yeast, brings it to the next level contributing an intriguing myriad of flavors including pear, apricot, graham cracker, and bread crust. Finally, a portion of the Interlude is aged in French Merlot and Sirah oak barrels, which impart a distinctive vinous plum character and a drying, almost tannic finish.

(Beer added by: brewandbbq on 01-15-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Interlude Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -64.5%

03/29/13 At Rattle N Hum on tap. Strangest assault on the ol' taste buds in a long time. Not sure what they were going for here as much as "let's just throw some stuff down the chute & see what comes out". IMHO this is an aimless taste profile. Befuddling at best. If it wasn't that I paid for it & the 9.5% ABV, I would have poured it on the floor as a wax remover. The only "notes" I'm registering are "don't waste your time & money on this focus-less nonsense".

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

2.35/5  rDev -44.3%

2010 version bottled in September according to the bottle.

Pours a clear, coppery body with a medium-sized, ivory-colored head. Little to no lacing present after the head recedes.

Aroma begin with an overwhelmingly dominant Brett smells; funk and hay with a dailed up musk factor and old, tired oak vessels with a lesser note of sour apple.

The tastes begin with light pilsner maltiness and a syrupy sugar sweetness get quickly dislodged by a powerful tangy tartness and coarse astringent tannins. Splash of sour apple vinegar. Slight notes of white grapes and a touch of sour-tasting wheat malt and more Brett yeast flavors with a small hint of booze. Oaky finish with a slap of acidity and chock full of tannins.

The mouthfeel is a hair above medium-bodied with medium to low carbonation. Quite the tongue-coating mouthfeel with an unpleasant overly astringent, unbalanced finish.

Overall I really did not enjoy this sour ale from Allagash. In fact I think this is probably the least enjoyable sour ale I have ever had. I found it to be overly tart, sharply so, and a bit heavy on the oak. For me, this left the overall taste to be rather disjointed, with nothing really coming together for me. There were no wine barrel flavors and the acidic, tangy flavors were just too disjointed and left me wanting so so much more.

2.42/5  rDev -42.7%

Review from tasting notes taken last night:

Pours a dark amber orange color with a medium white head, and light lace. I have to say that I reall y loved the color of this beer, but that's where the love affair ended for me. Light berry notes on the nose, grassy, heavy mustiness and little to no sourness. Flavor is unripened berry, really no sweetness or tartness in this one, just sort of a muddled funk of a brew, musty, earthy, some funky cheese at times. Where is the sour on this one?? This brew really needs some bugs in here to make things shine. This is too Brett-forward, and the funkiness needs to be offset by some sweetness or sourness or both. Dry finish translates into a dry beer overall, but without the tartness to balance things out. Not really what I was expecting out of this brew. Too much Brett funk and not enough sour and I'm not really a fan of these type of wilds. Reminds me of the mediocrity that was Perseguidor 5.

2.5/5  rDev -40.8%

2.55/5  rDev -39.6%

bottle from some shop in Atlanta.
pours a burnt amber color with about 1 finger of head. The cork popped hard, so i expected it to foam everywhere and pour with a ton of head, but was surprised.
smells sour mainly, with a bit of cherry underneath. not the best smelling sour I have had, but not too bad.
Taste is bret sour, a bit, but the main flavor I have is merlot... a dark red wine. It also has that dry red wine finish. The more I drink it the more the sour fades and the merlot comes through. I really wish this was more sour. the nose lets you think it is crazy sour, but the taste is disappointing if that was what you were looking for. The more I dig into this, the more I dislike it. If you are a Merlot fan, this is for you. if you dont like red wine, like me, dont buy this.

2.7/5  rDev -36%

A- Quite a bit of foam blasted out of the top of this one. Pours a golden yellow color with just a handful of bubbles on top. These bubbles stayed the whole time and left no lacing.

S- A lot of funkiness going on here, brett all over, tart, a touch of wood, bread and yeast.

T- Pretty sour over all. Yeasty spices, brett, touch of vinegar and green apples.

M- Light in body with a nice amount of carbonation.

O- This was a 2007 vinetage, which I thought was pretty cool, but these wilds I think are just my thing. I think this one is just too sour, but some BA's will clearly love this one. If I had access to another I'd split for sure no way I could handle this dude myself.

2.75/5  rDev -34.8%