Allagash Interlude - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: brewandbbq on 01-15-2006

Two yeast strains were used to create this unique 9.5% ABV Belgian style ale. The first, a Belgian farmhouse yeast, establishes the flavor foundations of a classic Belgian-style ale. The second, a house strain of Brettanomyces yeast, brings it to the next level contributing an intriguing myriad of flavors including pear, apricot, graham cracker, and bread crust. Finally, a portion of the Interlude is aged in French Merlot and Sirah oak barrels, which impart a distinctive vinous plum character and a drying, almost tannic finish.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Interlude Alström Bros

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Bottle date is 9/2011 - poured into a snifter

A - Pours an orangish, copper color with a 1/2 finger of head that dissipates quickly.

S - I can smell the funk from the Brett right away, along with some earthy oak-like smells too.

T - Upfront it is pretty sour from the Brett, but not overpowering. That is followed by a funky "horse blanket", barnyard taste, and finished off with a smooth, oaky taste from the red wine barrels. The taste is very complex, and it made me want to continue to sip more and keep seeking out flavors!

M - The carbonation is very fine and almost champagne-like. The mouthfeel is medium bodied as well, and really compliments the whole package.

O - I think I paid $21.99 for a 750ml bottle, so it's not something I can afford to drink every day. But... if you are looking for a VERY fine example of a barrel aged, farmhouse Brett beer - I would suggest this over just about any other beer out there.

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from bottle into a tulip. Pours a real good solid gold color with a foamy head.

Very very funky aromas. Brett dominated along with aromas of sour apples and tart citrus with some spices. Good depth as well.

Medium/full bodied with a really good feel. Very funk driven flavors along with sour apples and some spices.

This was the 2011 version. This isn't a beer for everyone due to the amount of funk, but it was perfectly fine by me. Great depth on both the aromas and feel. There is a real good dry finish to this as well.

3.31/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured from a 1 pint 9.4 fl. oz. bottle (August 2008) into a "Belgian Independence Day" tulip at high altitude near Denver. A big thanks to kojevergas for this one!

A: Pours a hazy amber color with plenty of yeast sediment floating around. Three-finger prickly off-white head fades rather quickly, but a substantial cap remains for quite some time considering the ABV.

S: This one had a relatively strong smell straight out of the bottle. The sour yeast notes come out first along with dark fruits. There are also plenty of sweet notes here that remind me of fresh tropical fruits or citrus.

T: Dark fruit comes out first, followed by the sweet tropical fruit notes from the nose. Plenty of yeast flavors here, but surprisingly, the sourness doesn't come through very much at all. I was also surprised to see that this one was aged in oak barrels -- that certainly didn't come through in the flavor, either.

M: Medium-bodied with a slightly dry finish, but undercarbonated.

O: This one certainly shouldn't be classified as an American Wild Ale. I enjoy the flavors and the mouthfeel suits them well, but my expectations were skewed. That said, it hides its alcohol very well. Pretty enjoyable, but I wouldn't have it again, especially given the price.

3.35/5  rDev -20.6%

Allagash Interlude August 2008 vintage. 750ml brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a cork served into an EKU 28 snifter in me friend's gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Expectations are extremely high; I love sours and I love Allagash. Acquired at Red Carpet Wine in Glendale, California. No best before date.

Served a bit cooler than room temperature and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with very little vigor as I didn't want to punish it too much.

Not paired with food.

Cork pops out nice and loud, suggesting good carbonation even after four years.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger beige colour head - fairly thin - with some fair cream and good overall retention. Poor lacing. Colour is a vibrant but nontransparent fig-amber with orange hues. It's a tough colour to nail down. Floating yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. It's got a good colour to it; I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Fig, orange (not orange peel), biscuity yeast, wild yeast, bacteria, bretts, hints of mango, tropical fruit esters - likely from the background subtle hops, some floral character (also likely from the hops), and fruity sugars. It's nicely subtle all around, certainly a sweet quality. Tropical yet very fresh. Some clean unobtrusive malts. Some booze might break through a bit there at the end; I'll see in the taste. The aroma does get stronger as it warms.

T: Fruit is what I notice first - orange peel, orange, and perhaps mango. Some clove. I'm shocked at how restrained the sourness seems. It's not horribly yeasty. I'm curious which brett strain was used; it walks a fine line between sour and funky - but invests seriously in neither. This is somewhat disappointing. Not as full bodied as it needs to be. Malts are clean and unobtrusive. Biscuity yeast does come through, but not as much as anticipated (or wanted). It has some subtlety, but does feel pretty simple for a sour from Allagash. I have to admit I expected better. No oak comes through. Maybe some white wine hints. The floral character from the hops is nice. It definitely needs more fig and more of the dark fruit promise that was present on the aroma. I do like it.

Mf: Undercarbonated. Smooth and wet. I'd like more crispness. It's just too damned thin to support the flavours. Pretty light on the palate.

Dr: I expected a phenomenal sour, and that isn't what I got. It's rather pricey for what it is. It hides its ABV extraordinarily well, but I'd sooner take a more affordable sour; I'm looking forward to the Supplication I'm drinking next. It's drinkable and I like it, but it just isn't world class. A decent offering from Allagash, but nowhere near the quality suggested by the hype. Maybe the four years of aging reduced the quality. In any case I won't be getting it again.

This tastes more like a farmhouse ale or a saison than a true sour or wild ale.

Low B-

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

2011 vintage.

Good bubbling, but not much in the way head or foam. Bronzey/copppery color.

Sweet green grapes, and ripe purple grape aromas. Some wine and some wood for an overall faintly tart fruity and earthy aroma.

Tart upfront and in the middle. Tart grapes and young red wine f;avrs. Then some woody, toasted water cracker flavors pop up to help round out the funk and Earth. Not too tart, and just a little warm. This was a nice sipper with great carbonation.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked this bottle up while on business down in Atlanta... It's hot and steamy here today and I spotted this in the back of the fridge and said, "Aha!" I've been looking forward to this one since I bought it and now is as good a time as any to give it a try...

Into my Allagash glass it goes... Out comes a glowing golden brew with lots of carbonation and a persistent, if smallish, foamy head... The stream of tiny bubbles erupting from the bottom of the glass is particularly fun to watch..

The pungent aromas of the beer are noticed right away... A sharp red wine aspect is immediately recognized as well as tiny bits of the barrel and the oft' remarked leather and horse blanket aromas so common in these wild ales... Quite intriguing and very enticing... This has one of the best aromas in the Wild Ale style that I've ever experienced...

Sipping this ale reveals a sharp biting sourness (although not one of legendary proportions as found in La Folie) that mingles with an earthy musty funkiness from the Brett and quite a bit of the red wine aspect... the beer seems to constantly change with every sip... I'm glad that the sourness isn't overwhelming as I, for me, it would take away from a magnificent brew... This has the right balance of mustiness and sourness to make it very memorable... The ABV is slightly perceptible but doesn't detract anything at all... Instead, it merely enhances the experience... A nice glow to the cheeks is felt and enjoyed after about half a glass...

A world class effort from the folks at Allagash... How I wish I could get their brews here at home... I don't think I've ever had a bad beer from this brewery and this one lives up to its reputation... I enjoyed every sip of this...

Allagash Interlude from Allagash Brewing Company